• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding Smash hotspots throughout Europe

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
As a future international student it would be nice knowing where the Brawl and Melee hotspots are. Specifically I'm interested in learning more about Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden, Spain, England, Wales, Scotland.

Update: Size wise, an aproximate estimate of the number of player of a given game is good. Vague terms are kinda ugh though... I also narrowed it down a bit.

Staco

Smash Champion
As a future international student it would be nice knowing where the Smash hotspots are. Specifically I'm interested in England, Wales, Belgium border areas, Holland, western Austria and western Germany, Switzerland border areas, France, northeast Spain and northern Italy. Would also be nice if individual cities and counties can be named and the size of the community in terms of players can be ranked from 1-5, 5 being the biggest. Also, I'm mainly interested in Melee but Brawl info is also good.
you can find smashers everywhere in western germany, espeacally in north rhine westfalia. (Nordrhein Westfalen)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
As a future international student it would be nice knowing where the Smash hotspots are. Specifically I'm interested in England, Wales, Belgium border areas, Holland, western Austria and western Germany, Switzerland border areas, France, northeast Spain and northern Italy. Would also be nice if individual cities and counties can be named and the size of the community in terms of players can be ranked from 1-5, 5 being the biggest. Also, I'm mainly interested in Melee but Brawl info is also good.
I won't use your 1-5 scale as I don't know what you see as big, but here's a rough player repartition in France, mostly for Melee :
Paris and surroundings : Dozens of players for each game.
Lyon and Grenoble : 8-10 Melee players, a pretty good average level and a very active community.
Montpellier : 8-10 Melee players and frequent tournaments.

Other cities have significantly less players.

Tero.

Smash Champion
[shameless self-promotion]

Freiburg is in the south-west of Germany, near the french and swiss boarder.
We have about 10 active smashers living directly in Freiburg or 10-20 minutes away (and more partially active people here and there).
We also had a series of monthlies (still going on) with 10-20 people on average (even had up to 30 sometimes and that's pretty **** much for european conditions), so yeah we probably have the most active community within germany.

We also have 4 people in the german top 15 ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273414 ) and another one in the top 20.

Freiburg is also one of the most beautiful german cities with about 220.000 people living here and the best and warmest climate in whole germany plus a really good university.

[/shameless self-promotion]

Yeniths

East Midlands!
London England is great for Smash, tons of players, regular hosting etc. Birmingham or areas close by also have players and you can easily travel to London from here.

Also out of interest where abouts are you from?

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
tbh anywhere south of Manchester is great for smash since the UK is so small, as said above London is the best place to be

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
From Scanidnavia... Might end up studying in continental Europe or in the UK. Or the US. Or maybe Scandinavia after all. Who knows?

Compared to say, the Japanese community, how big is the European one?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Our bigger tournaments draw in 70-80 people, including foreigners. Brawl slightly more than Melee. The Netherlands is small enough to not really care about regions, but Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland have a strong concentration of Melee players while the Brawlers seem to be mostly based in Flevoland, Noord-Brabant and Gelderland.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I'm thinking I'm narrowing it down to England, western Germany, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands, Spain and France. No that I have eliminated other countries completely or anything, but just of Europe and this thread, those are the countries I want to know more about.

What about England, besides Birmingham and London? Places like Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham, etc?

As for Germany, western Germany in general and Freiburg have both been mentioned. What about Darmstadt, Dresden, Munich, Karlsruhe, Stuttgart and Aachen?

Also, what number of people enter tournaments in these areas? The same goes for Paris, how many is "dozens"? Would also like to know about which cities Italian smashers play in.

Tero.

Smash Champion
As for Germany, western Germany in general and Freiburg have both been mentioned. What about Darmstadt, Dresden, Munich, Karlsruhe, Stuttgart and Aachen?

Also, what number of people enter tournaments in these areas?
I've never heard of any smashers in Munich, Aachen, Darmstadt or Dresden to be quite honest.
There might be some casuals, but none of the really good players lives in those cities and they most likely don't have any smash scenes at all.
(In the Ruhr area, where Aachen is located, there are quite a few smashers; Cologne, Hamm, Dortmund).

Stuttgart has one active smasher, but he just started competitive Melee like 2 months ago.
Karlsruhe has 2 smasher living directly in the city and 2 people nearby, 3 of them are newcomers and the last one is a smasher from Chile who's studying there (he's also member of our crew), they mostly travel down to Freiburg (~1h drive) for tournaments and smashfests.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Places like Sheffield,
Sheffield is pretty good for brawl theres a few brawlers living in/near sheffeld

Manchester,
The areas in and around Manchester are great for Melee
Good Melee players like J03 ,Coey, AmcD, Aiko and Blinky all live in the NW
[URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=116583"]Check out there thread
[/URL]

Nottingham
Nottingham's a pretty good place to be, Melee players like Zunari and Navi both live there however they are not too frequent on the boards, however Leicester is only a stones throw away,
Melee including myself, Willz, and Brado and FlyCondor reside here, Yeniths also comes down to quite frequently
Check out the thread

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Lots of helpful people so far! I'm still wondering about the size of the Melee community in Paris and the surrounding area though... Also, I know it's not a German city, but what about Vienna? Any good for Melee, and how big is the community if it's there?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Lots of helpful people so far! I'm still wondering about the size of the Melee community in Paris and the surrounding area though...
Well... We don't have any monthly event or anything so it's pretty hard to give an estimation of the number of active players. But at ESA3, our last big even in Paris, one year ago, there were more than 30 players coming from Paris and its surroundings. A few of them quit, but quite a few other players couldn't come, and some other picked up Melee, so I think the actual number of active players is higher than 30.

de_gLory^

Smash Cadet
Lots of helpful people so far! I'm still wondering about the size of the Melee community in Paris and the surrounding area though... Also, I know it's not a German city, but what about Vienna? Any good for Melee, and how big is the community if it's there?

pasi, fox128 and norm are there.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Berlin has like 5 Brawl players, 5 melee-players and 5 that play both ^^

We have meetings every 2-3 weeks :)

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Hey what's wrong with Sweden?

Both east coast (Stockholm) and west coast have ~20-30 players. Melee only, nobody cares about Brawl.

edit:
Oh you're from Norway, you probably want to go a little more south, nevermind =)

Staco

Smash Champion
Im pretty sure that NRW is the most active smash region in germany. ;)
We have smashfests like every 2 weeks, sometimes every week and we also have smash meetings during the weeks.

And thats just the north of the NRW smash community, I dont know about all melee players in NRW, but I think the others are not that active. :p

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Barcelona has tons of players, although some melee ones have gone a bit inactive lately there's a lot of people that plays both, melee only or brawl only.

between melee and brawl there's more than 50 smashers here.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Im pretty sure that NRW is the most active smash region in germany. ;)
We have smashfests like every 2 weeks, sometimes every week and we also have smash meetings during the weeks.

And thats just the north of the NRW smash community, I dont know about all melee players in NRW, but I think the others are not that active. :p
wtf is a smash meetting xD
are u guys gonna discuss smash or soemthing

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
Hey what's wrong with Sweden?

Both east coast (Stockholm) and west coast have ~20-30 players. Melee only, nobody cares about Brawl.

edit:
Oh you're from Norway, you probably want to go a little more south, nevermind =)
Amazing! I'll hopefully be moving to Stockholm for a whole year (from England) later this summer.

Reckon I'll encounter any smashers at Stockholm university? Is the smash scene going strong in Stockholm?

Top Bottom