• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reflex or Tactic Fox?

shadowfox009

Smash Cadet
which kinda Fox are you? I wanted to get an idea on the different Fox mainers/players out here and i kinda feel this is a change from the threads i normally see imo.

A reflex Fox would be one who acts mostly instinctively.

A Tactic Fox would be one who mostly plans out their millionth move in the heat of battle.

Any of these styles could come from exp, or could their preferable play style.

My style is more of a 65/35 more over to the reflex side, i usually have a good idea of what to expect from my opponents unless it's a ditto match ( idk i just have a problem against my own kind XD ) . knowing the characters cans and can't do is something that i like to brand into my head in order so i can fight with a fully equipped and effective fox. when those time come when i have to plan out my next move arrives it's usually against an opponent who is above the norm or just really original with their play style. ( i hardly get enjoyable matches like these and hey i luv'em) i might start to laser spam or shine stall when i get to the point of flipping from thinking on to fly over to grand master mode lol.

just to put this out there but this isn't a which kind of Fox is better than the other. most of us know there isn't one pure reflex or tactic kind, not saying it's impossible.

There are many flavors of Fox. which one are you?

ps: give a brief description of why you think gave your self that ratio. Thanx!

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I wouldn't know what ratio I am specifically, but I would say that I'm slightly more of a tactic Fox, but I do both almost equally.

§witch

Smash Lord
Tatic is always a good way to start playing a new opponent, predicting, staying back, baiting. then go ape**** at any opening you get.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I play alot of Computers in my spare time so I would say that I've evolved myself to work based on reflexes. I always find all those little openings and punish, punish, punish! It's the only way to beat perfect-dodging CPUs. I just can't grasp any real strategy, however. So I will say;

75/25 Reflexes.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
idk

I have some experiences so i know the most times how my oppenent will act, like he is hanging on the edge and i jump to Shine them, because i know he will do an edgejump.

But i think the most times i do the reflex thingy xD

Because of that my enemies are running away from the most time of a match (Really funny but sometimes really anoying xD) - Yes Fox has the Speed adventage (I played oneday a Fox who always runs away und rolling away from me... now that was ****ing annoying <_>)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I do the same s*** over and over.......play me more than 5 times and I start getting *****..............in mirrors. Seriously I absolutely fail in dittos with any of my characters. I also play overly aggressive all the time which gets me into trouble against characters like the DDDs and Marths.

syco1337

Smash Rookie
well i dont even main fox hes my alt but...
im a 55/45 tactic fox
i know that as fox i must really think about my moves or i will get screwed really quick so i tend to play more strategically but sometimes once i get in my "mode" sorta i will play more instinctively.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
*pushes up glasses*
75/35 tactical

its all about thinking 10 steps ahead of your opponent, knowing what they can and cant do, and thinking on the spot when your opponent makes an unpredictibale move

ITT: mindgames, son.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
This is kind of a flawed "either or" scenario as a good fox will perfectly incorporate both things.

Fox is a bait and punish character, so the baiting is purely tactical, and the punishing completely relies on your reaction to whatever they choose to do...

I don't see how they're all that separate.

shadowfox009

Smash Cadet
I can't see how this is a flawed topic when the topic is one on personal character play style. yes i know the character is supposed to be played a certain way to draw out it's fullest ability, but some play the way the char is supposed to be played some don't.

I made this topic to ask how the Fox mainers/players do combat with their Fox. not how a good Fox is supposed to be played there are already topics for that =).

Anyside can get results with their play style since it depends on the persons skill. not all Foxes are going to play the same as with every other character. Fox is a character that i feel utilizes most of his moves so his game will be mixed up. let's face it everyone has habits when they fight weather it be using dair into utilt most of the time or a shffl into usmash. That's were i got the idea for the topic Reflex or Tactic.

i hope i'm not sounding bias imo the Fox community has the most on edge suspenseful battles due to our space vulpine abilities, his potential as well as the players skill.

so yeah this isn't a thread about the "right" or "perfect" Fox but a persons place on the Reflex/Tactic scale. forget about tiers in this topic because this isn't what this thread is about it's about the players :).

PlätzchenMONST-R8457

Smash Rookie
eh i think i more reflex no matter what character i play but in teh sense tactical cus i know what moves go into eachother. such as dair>u-tiltx4>short hop shine. work really good or u can dair again its... i start out reflex and then work my way tactical but still 85:15 reflex

pandapwned

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure that tactical is the better way to go with fox,due to all his mind games and blaster camping abilities, but I'm more reflex than tactical.

probably around 65-35 reflex cuz thinking ahead makes me do the future now, instead of doing it later. (like shining then getting a faceful of lazers :laugh:)

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I'm probably a 70/30 sort of fighter. I've got all the experience you can get from an extreme smash fan who's played every smash game to death. This gives me a lot of the instinctive fighting style, that's why I can play as anybody agents my friends and and win with a huge margin.

But I still use techs and plan stuff out ahead, Especially with fox.

tom2bomb

Smash Cadet
I'm more 60/40 as a reflex untill i see a weakness (recoverys same way every time ect.) and then force them into (their) worst part of there game

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
For the most part I am a reflex Fox. I never have a set idea of what I am going to do. Usually in the beginning of the match I bait A LOT! I try to feel how my opponent plays because Empty Shing and RARing my SHDL to see if they attack aggressive or try to camp me back. I then think of what I should do next and then act accordingly.

PhilMcCloud17

Smash Cadet
100% reflex......my fingers move way 2 fast for my brain to try and use any of the stuff Ive learned while on smashboards lol.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
I try to play mostly in a tactical and semi agresive way, but when i am under pressure i become extremely agresive and rely on reflexes

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Seems like the majority of players here are equal. Either lots of them have no idea what they are or this is the wrong way to categorize Fox styles.

PhilMcCloud17

Smash Cadet
Seems like the majority of players here are equal. Either lots of them have no idea what they are or this is the wrong way to categorize Fox styles.
I'm not to sure if I would say it's the WRONG way... but i wouldn't call it the BEST way either. If that makes any sense.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
everyone seems to be reflex, walks in blindly without a strategy and...probobly fails
still,all reflex may not be a bad thing, it give you an unpredicitible approach

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
everyone seems to be reflex, walks in blindly without a strategy and...probobly fails
still,all reflex may not be a bad thing, it give you an unpredicitible approach
I'm not sure about that. Many of us said reflex but most probably at least plan out a single next move to perform after the one they are currently attacking with. We can all predict a decent follow up move but only the most advanced players that I have seen ever put strings of attacks together in thier minds. Watch any good combo video, you'll see...

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I make it up as I go.

Thats not to say I'm an exclusively reflex-based player. I build my tactics from the ground-up based on what my opponent lets me get away with.

I'm not sure if this a great way to categorize styles of play, I use my reflexes to maneuver around my opponent as I read them and tactics to exploit their open spots when they show up.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I recently picked up Fox, and I now second all 3 spacies, and I must say that I cannot really categorize my Fox now, I like to control the pace of the match with Fox, throw out some Lasers, rush in with some Dash Attack->Aerial stuff, throw out aerials and use utilt to help me juggle, but at the same time just go with the flow if my opponent is attempting to control the match, and react with Shine, Blaster, and everything else in Fox's arsenal of useful moves which includes almost all of them.

Karttibone

Smash Cadet
I'm more reflex than tactical, but when I get some space I start thinkin' about what move I should do next. Sometimes you just see me charging a Smash out of nothing, I know it's extremely dangerous, but sometimes you could just see how people are walking in your Smash LOL

I'd say 70% reflex
30% tactic

SCOTU

Smash Hero
which kinda Fox are you? I wanted to get an idea on the different Fox mainers/players out here and i kinda feel this is a change from the threads i normally see imo.

A reflex Fox would be one who acts mostly instinctively.

A Tactic Fox would be one who mostly plans out their millionth move in the heat of battle.

Any of these styles could come from exp, or could their preferable play style.

My style is more of a 65/35 more over to the reflex side, i usually have a good idea of what to expect from my opponents unless it's a ditto match ( idk i just have a problem against my own kind XD ) . knowing the characters cans and can't do is something that i like to brand into my head in order so i can fight with a fully equipped and effective fox. when those time come when i have to plan out my next move arrives it's usually against an opponent who is above the norm or just really original with their play style. ( i hardly get enjoyable matches like these and hey i luv'em) i might start to laser spam or shine stall when i get to the point of flipping from thinking on to fly over to grand master mode lol.

just to put this out there but this isn't a which kind of Fox is better than the other. most of us know there isn't one pure reflex or tactic kind, not saying it's impossible.

There are many flavors of Fox. which one are you?

ps: give a brief description of why you think gave your self that ratio. Thanx!

I'm going to redefine these to mean something where one isn't vastly better than the other.
Under your current definition, the instinctive player will almost always be beaten by anyone good because they'll abuse your pattern and habits.

Reflexive players: look shorter into the future and try to react to everything
Tactical Player: plays farther ahead setting up situations.

Even with this, the Tactical player will almost always beat the reflexive player, since they're setting up situations, and the best the reflexive player can do is get out of it.
Any good player will be a tactics player, with a fast reaction time and the ability to react to situations.

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
im more of a reflex person after all but for fox you have to be both or your kind of screwed unless you are pro

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if you're not planning out what you're doing, and your opponents possible reactions to that, and how to at least be safe in doing so, you're going to lose.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I would be the tactic fox, since i always come up with moves in the match. But i use the standard combos en the shines.

BTW: Why doesn't my signature show up ;o;

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'd say I'm about 70/30 favouring the tactical side. I'm always scared of being sent flying due to Fox's weight and have this sense I'll be combo'd into oblivion because of his falling speed (even though comboez don exits in t3h Br4wl). Slippery, cowardly and cunning is my playstyle, like an actual wild fox. XD

Reznor

work in progress
im more reflex but if it dosent work i change it up so i think mabey 65/35 more reflex

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Reflex > Tactic.

I don't think it's possible to plan Fox's moves because none of them are reliable enough. React to what your opponent throws at you.

Top Bottom