• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reflex or Tactic Fox?

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Even with this, the Tactical player will almost always beat the reflexive player, since they're setting up situations, and the best the reflexive player can do is get out of it.
Any good player will be a tactics player, with a fast reaction time and the ability to react to situations.
That's the thing, not all tactic players have fast reaction times. It is fine and dandy planning everything but if you don't have the speed to react you just end up watching yourself failing.

That's why I think Reflex > Tactic.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Rather, All good players do have a good reaction time, and they're all tactics players because thats what makes them good, since they're not limited to only reacting to situations, they can plan something out, but then react if something changes, but since they're good, it usually goes according to plan, and they win. People are good when they stop using their instincts and think most things through.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Rather, All good players do have a good reaction time, and they're all tactics players because thats what makes them good, since they're not limited to only reacting to situations, they can plan something out, but then react if something changes, but since they're good, it usually goes according to plan, and they win. People are good when they stop using their instincts and think most things through.
OO yeah I definitely feel you on this =D.

But still I think that having tactics is fine a dandy but when we say tactics are we saying "ok I'm going to do a drill to a dmash, and then a fair, and then a nair, and then an utilt" all ahead of the match? Because that would definitely never work because some characters just blow past any form of Fox's moves. Because I think that your definition of a tactical players is my definition of a reflex player =D!

I feel as if a reflex Fox is better because he will be able to apply a tactic ONCE he is able at react to what an opponent throws at the player.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
But still I think that having tactics is fine a dandy but when we say tactics are we saying "ok I'm going to do a drill to a dmash, and then a fair, and then a nair, and then an utilt" all ahead of the match? Because that would definitely never work because some characters just blow past any form of Fox's moves. Because I think that your definition of a tactical players is my definition of a reflex player =D!
Tactical play isn't like that. It's more stuff like outwitting your opponent and gaining control of the stage and always staying one step ahead. One example, You use your SHDL, forcing them to approach and cutting their options and keeping you one step ahead. Now say he jumps in the air to dodge them, you adjust your attack pattern accordingly, if he just runs blindly through, you can deal with that pretty easily by illusioning away and resetting the spacing etc. Reflexes are obviously necessary, but instead of reacting to everything on the spot, match tactics allow you to choose how your opponent will act, and once you have your opponent's actions under control, you've won the match. My 2 cents.

PhilMcCloud17

Smash Cadet
I'm going to redefine these to mean something where one isn't vastly better than the other.
Under your current definition, the instinctive player will almost always be beaten by anyone good because they'll abuse your pattern and habits.

Reflexive players: look shorter into the future and try to react to everything
Tactical Player: plays farther ahead setting up situations.

Even with this, the Tactical player will almost always beat the reflexive player, since they're setting up situations, and the best the reflexive player can do is get out of it.
Any good player will be a tactics player, with a fast reaction time and the ability to react to situations.
Not always... what if the reflex player is so unorthodox that the tatics player cant think of ways to trap him???

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Not always... what if the reflex player is so unorthodox that the tatics player cant think of ways to trap him???
there are ways around this,for one, no opponent is unreadable,if you tactical fox knows your enemys limits you can trap him,it just poses higher risks

also,no one could be that unorthodox is brawl(maybe in a high-speed chess game like melee but...)

mc4

Smash Journeyman
reflex gets predictable, big time. I play fox from time to time and I do much better playing tactical than reflex for sure.

PhilMcCloud17

Smash Cadet
there are ways around this,for one, no opponent is unreadable,if you tactical fox knows your enemys limits you can trap him,it just poses higher risks

also,no one could be that unorthodox is brawl(maybe in a high-speed chess game like melee but...)

Maybe. But im not sure if I agree 100%.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Tactical play isn't like that. It's more stuff like outwitting your opponent and gaining control of the stage and always staying one step ahead. One example, You use your SHDL, forcing them to approach and cutting their options and keeping you one step ahead. Now say he jumps in the air to dodge them, you adjust your attack pattern accordingly, if he just runs blindly through, you can deal with that pretty easily by illusioning away and resetting the spacing etc. Reflexes are obviously necessary, but instead of reacting to everything on the spot, match tactics allow you to choose how your opponent will act, and once you have your opponent's actions under control, you've won the match. My 2 cents.
Yeah I think I got my reflex mixed with my tactics. Like my REFLEX is to use a TACTIC when the time arises.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
tactics players don't go in assuming they know how to read a player, the figure it out as they go, so it doesn't matter the level of unortadoxness of the player. Furthermore, the reason you could have more styles of play in melee is because you have more safe options in any situation than you do in brawl.

PhilMcCloud17

Smash Cadet
tactics players don't go in assuming they know how to read a player, the figure it out as they go, so it doesn't matter the level of unortadoxness of the player. Furthermore, the reason you could have more styles of play in melee is because you have more safe options in any situation than you do in brawl.
Very true.... when i hear the word "tactics" I think about shikimaru from Naruto lol.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
just gonna throw this out, historically, the best players are the smartest, not the most technical. even in melee, lovage is one of, if not the most technical people in california, but none of you know him, cause he sucks, and he isn't as smart as people like mango or hugs.

so smart, tactical play always beats out twitchy reflexes

Top Bottom