• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List (Updated 1-5-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuss

Smash Champion
Has no one considered my question. recovery isnt all about distance skylink. weight comes into play as well. If falco's d smash almost kills a samus, but sends them far enough away that their bomb jumps dont allow them to recover, then you say samus's recovery is worse then jiggs because jiggs could make it back from there. Except with the same amount of dmg, jiggs would have died from that d smash. Weight and horizantal moving speed are almost as important if not more as straight up distance. Peace.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I don't think weight should be taken into account because i wouldn't call weight part of the actual recovery. You can't say Jiggs has a crap recovery because she is light that makes no sense at all. It just means Jiggs won't live for as long as a heavy character like samus or bowser. This isn't the 'Official Who Lives the Longest Tier List' its the recovery tier list. Even though Jiggs will die at a lower percent when she does get knocked away from the stage she can recover that distance exceptionally well.

DuKe™

Smash Journeyman
IDK Dr. Mario recovery is not as bad as bowser or DK Zelda should be better than Link IMO and a bunch of other ****

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
DuKe™ said:
IDK Dr. Mario recovery is not as bad as bowser or DK Zelda should be better than Link IMO and a bunch of other ****
Dr. Mario's recovery is **** compared to them. DK and Bowser both have disjointed hitboxes which make them harder to intercept and they both get very good horizontal distances, DK more than bowser. Doc's vertical recovery is subpar, one of the worst in the game...same goes for his horizontal recovery for that matter.

I'll update this list in a bit because I have been away from this post for quite some time. I'm just too lazy to filter out everybody's contradicting opinions of one another.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
B-Will said:
Official Recovery Tier List (In Progress)​

Green arrow indicates a move up from the previous tier list. Red arrow indicates a move down from the previous tier list. The numbers on the right indicate the character's rank on the previous list.

Top Tier
--1. Jigglypuff
2. Samus (3)
3. Mewtwo (2)

Upper Tier
--4. Pikachu
--5. Pichu
--6. Peach

High Tier
--7. Link
8. Fox (7)
--9. IceClimbers

Middle Tier
10. Kirby (11)
11. Sheik (10)
--12. Young Link
13. Zelda (14)
--14. Yoshi
--15. Ganon

Low Tier
16. Game and Watch (21)
17. Donkey Kong (18)
18. Marth (19)
--20. Luigi
--21. Bowser
--22. Ness

Bottom Tier
--23. Mario
--24. Falco
25. Captain Falcon (27)
26. Roy (25)
--26. Doctor Mario

If we are taking into account just recovering, not survivability, then I have some thoughts for your list.

Jigglypuff at top? She does have a very good recovery, she can also attack while recovering. However, I think of recovery in three areas. Upper, edge, lower. Upper being below the stage, edge being equal to the edge, and lower below the edge. If we look at Jigglypuff's recovery, we see that the only attack she can do below the stage without wasting a jump is rising pound. Since every other aerial has enough time to let jigglypuff start to fall. Also, she only has limited mind games.

Jigglypuff recovering:

Attacks usable: Fair, Bair, Uair, Nair, Dair, Pound

Upper: She will probably just pound and reserve her jumps to counter edge guarding or jump past you.

Edge: She may still use rising pound but also use jumps not to sink into Lower. She can still attack,

Lower: Mostly a pattern of rising pound then jumping. If anyone jumped out to spike, there's little she can do without wasting recovery not to mention the lag after pound which allows for a quick attack.

Samus recovering:

Attacks: fair, dair, bair, uair, nair, missle, charge shot, bomb, screw attack, grapple

Upper: Samus can use any attack she wants. She can recover with just DI or bomb jumping.

Edge: Samus can use any attack she wants. She can recover with just DI, bomb jumping, or grapple.

Lower: Samus can use any attack she wants. She can recover with just Di, bomb jumping, or grappling. If a player tried to off stage edge guard, Samus can easily turn it around and kill the edge guarder. She can even just grapple through the opponent and in most cases, end up edge hogging him. She can now even wall jump.

I believe these two should be switched.

I think Peach should be above Pikachu and Pichu.

Peach can float, has one of the best second jump, and parasol attacks through the edge. So she is immune to edge guarders. Not to mention that if she is above the stage, most edge guarding can be by-passed by double jump, then floating back to the stage higher than the other character can jump.

Pikachu and Pichu, however, are semi-predicable. Since, they don't really have all they're directions. They really only have half, and that's only if they are above or at the edge. Once you go below the stage, they really only have 5 directions. horizontal, up, and the three inbetween. Though the distance is very good, peach takes the cake with floating.

Sorry, but Zelda shouldn't be in mid. She should definately be low. She has the worst double jump in the game. It's even worse than her air dodge. Yeah, she has great distance? Well, I'm going to give everyone a tutorial on how to edge guard a Zelda....

Step one: Infinite Stall on edge. (Or just hang on edge. Make sure she can't toe you.) Since you are edge hogging, she has two options.

1. Teleport above the stage

2. Teleport to the edge.

This brings us to step two.

Step two: Wait. Let Zelda move first. As soon as she reappears from teleport you make your move. If she teleports to the edge, don't move. You've just edge hogged. If she teleports onto the stage, a simple edge wave dash will put you near Zelda. You then have all of her fallig and landing lag to go attack her.

There you have it.

Marth should be above GW. His ^B is affected by downward velocity, and can't even sweet spot on every stage. (Counter Pick GW at yoshi story) Marth however, has dancing blade amd can hit a waiting edge guarder through the stage with dolphin blade.

Falco falls the fastest in the game, has predictable recovery, and his recovery his short. Though we are not able to accurately place the lower tiers, I believe we can place the worst.

Inverse Tier:
Doctor Mario
Falco
Capt. Falcon --Everyone can edge guard him. Can't sweet spot, must DI away from the edge
then come back.
Bowser
DK --Horizontal Recovery makes it very predicable and easy to spike. (Bowser too.)
Ness -- Just jump into PK Thunder

Mario and Roy should move up. Mario can cape, tornado, wall jump and his vertical ^b puts him above bowser and DK at least. Roy can hit through the stage, and you can sway Rising blade.

Tiers:

Top:
Samus
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo

Upper:

Peach
Pikachu
Pichu

High:
Link
Fox
Ice Climbers

Mid:

Kirby
Sheik
Young Link
Yoshi
Ganon

Low:
Marth
Luigi
Roy
Game and Watch
Zelda

Bottom:
Ness
DK
Bowser
Capt. Falcon
Falco
Doctor Mario

That's my opinion.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ganon should be higher, his recovery is freaking amazing, why does no one agree with me, it's better then kirby's, IC's, g&w's, sheik's (however she's up that high), y. link, link, and fox, horizontal recovery is way more important than vertical recovery, heck, he should be up there with the pikas

SporeFrog

Smash Cadet
Sure ganon's recovery is good... if youa ren't playing against an opponent. As it is, it's one of the easiest recoveries to edgeguard because it's very difficult to sweetspot and is incredibly predictable.

Magus420

Smash Master
B-Will needs to mention in the first post that it's based on distance, versatility, how easily it is edguarded, and that it doesn't take weight into account (as that would be survivability not recovery). People keep asking about these things. In a nutshell, it's a rating of a character's ability to make it back to the stage from wherever on the map safely. So as said about Ganon, while his horizontal distance is quite good when knocked high, it is very poor when knocked low which is taken into account, as well as how it is the most edgeguardable recovery in the game. At least Falcon has excellent horizontal air control going for him there. Suggesting Ganon's recovery is comparable to the Pikas' is a bit ridiculous.

AllBoutSheik

Smash Apprentice
why is marth so low, i can like never edgeguard a good marth player, and he seems to make it back from everything

mood4food77

Smash Hero
why do people think ganon has the most edgegaurdable recovery, i've been edgegaurded more as marth, sheik, ICs, and others than i've been with ganon and these aren't by crappy players, you aren't taking into account how much DI ganon has after his up B, sheik and zelda have NO DI after they use their up b, link is far more easily edgegaurded than ganon, ICs will sometimes lose the HO when they recover, kirby can't perfectly sweet spot the ledge, g&w has horrible horizontal recovery, ganon's recovery is so underrated

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
I think Pikachu should be bumped up into the top tier. Any Pika player who knows what their doing could probably tell you how great the Up+B is. It has great range, great speed, hard to edgeguard, and next to no lag time if you don't Quick Attack into the platform, but instead go above it. In fact, if you really had to, you could use it to zig-zag around walls to a lower or higher section of the stage, depending where you are playing, and entirely skip whoever is edguarding you by going to a platform that they would have to go through solid ground to get to.
And did I mention how fast, long, and unpredictable it can be?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I love Mewtwo's recovery. Alot of people have been forgetting forwardB in his recovery. Being floaty with a stalling move, plus a huge second jump, huge upB, plus a good air dodge and invinciblity frames. Sweetspotting with upB also isn't as hard as people have been saying. Another thing you seem to forget is that upB can go staight down. If you get knocked off and are fearing a good edgeguarder, then instead of going to the ledge you can use your second jump to get above the stage and then quickly teleport to the floor. It's really more helpful than it sounds.

I don't really think Peach's is all that incredible. Good yes, but not great. Her vertical recovery isn't all that good. Her recovery is very dependant on which way she gets hit. If knocked diagonally up/side she can always come back. If she gets hit staight to the side she can usually come back. If she gets knocked very far down at all though its pretty much over.

As far as Ganon goes I like his placement. His recovery is greatly improved once you learn to ledge tech.

IC's are in the right place assuming Nana is alive. I think they might need moved down a few spots because even though Popo can still survive decently well on his own, it is obviously much worse, and pretty much has no vertical distance.

Bowser's fortress can outprioritize shine. Not that it really saves it from not being very good though.

G&W really is lacking in horizontal. And I think we should all be able to agree that in most cases horizontal movement is more important than vertical. Sure you need both, but horizontal comes in handy more often.

There really are alot more factors to consider though. When you consider how often certain characters get knocked off it really changes things. Pichu can recover a good distance but keep in mind that he is so light, most of the time he gets knocked off you die before you stop tumbling, so you don't even get to use your recovery. The same goes for alot of the lighter characters. Also when you consider there ledge game that changes too. After sweetspotting the ledge certain characters have a harder time making it back to the stage than others. If you take that into account then Bowser would be alot higher, since he has the absolute best on the ledge attack in the game, and ledgehopped klaws are great.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol...funny that this thread got bumped back up. The reason why I stopped with this is because I thought it was kind of pointless...that, and I got so many mixed opinions that made it too hard to come up with a list that we can all agree on.

Anyways...I agree with the whole Mewtwo thing. I prefer putting him at at least two, if not one. However, I was outnumbered so I put him at three. I think I rather have his recovery than samus.

I agree with peach too. I was one of the guys who tried to convince others who had a predetermined opinion that peach's recovery is broken. I think it is far from that.

I think game and watch could be moved down as well but again I was outnumbered. I think I like dk's and bowser's recovery better.

Anyways, the other factors that you mentioned don't really come into play. We aren't factoring in that pichu dies easy; we are just looking at a character's ability to recover: the distance that it goes and its versatility. Same with ledge attack games - that's a whole different story.

Anyways, if you all seriously want to try to do this again, I don't mind lol. At the same time, I also don't mind if this thread dies again.

EDIT: Oh, and marth's recovery. I think he needs to be above G&W and move DK above G&W.

Actually looking at this now there are a few things that need changing.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
*randomly joins into the thread*
ic's recovery is extremly easy to edgeguard, espceially popo alone
i dont think it should be that high
it also doesnt cover THAT much distance
its also wierd for me that ganon is quite high, higher than marth for example
its so easy to edgeguard ganon its wierd

lol i like how falcon's previous rank is (27) out of 26
yeah his recovery blows hard

marthsword

Smash Ace
You people don't know this because there are almost no pichu players. Pikachu's up b can go in 8 different directions. Pichu's goes in 16! Pichu's is slower though. This actually proves that pichu's is better than pikachu's so switch them maybe.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
maybe this has been said before...

Ness should be higher in this list. if anyone tries to get hit by his thunder, he tailwhipps him. he is probably one of the easiest to sweetspot with. plus, PKT2 goes as far a Fire fox and has roughly the same start up time. Ness even has invincibility frames. i think Ness should be somewhere above GAW.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
About Ness, let me say some things

Yes, PKT is kinda easy to intercept, but that's often not the opponents best option.
It covers great distance
Ness midair jump helps his recovery greatly due to distance and maneuverability
Ness has the largest sweetspot range in the game
He can sweetspot the edge at any time during PKT2 in 1 frame
His wallhuggin ability is unique as he actually changes direction
PKT2 is one of the highest priority recovery moves in the game (at least in the beginning)
It has invincibility frames
There are recovery defending PKT techniques like reverse edgeguards, anti-edgehogs, inverse PKT2 recovery, delayed PKT2 recovery, and more. I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't want me to go on now would you?:p

Annoying made me wanna do this.
But I think this thread is dead anyways.:ohwell:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
yeah, true. but i saw it in Melee disc, so i posted here. my 2 cents.

Ness's upB recovery can actually can directions after you performed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom