• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recolours! What do you want? Post them here!

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
I don't think the Yoshi serie should have another rep, but Yoshi himself should definitely have plenty, plenty of recolors, including the black one and the white one, of course.
Myabe should be a shy guy, it is like the piranha plant for yoshi.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Do you know that Brown is just Dark Orange?
That is true, but both brown and orange Yoshis exist.

Myabe should be a shy guy, it is like the piranha plant for yoshi.
I'd love to have Shy Guy as a playable fighter! But it's worth pointing out that Piranha Plants are frequently-occurring enemies in Yoshi games, too. There were a bunch of them in Crafted World, and there's an entire Piranha Plant bramble in Yoshi's Story iirc.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Alright mentioned several times in this thread, but just give us shiny alts for all the Pokemon, jeez.
I still don't know why they removed shiny Mewtwo and why they still don't have pro-gen II shiny Charizard.

Although, it would be dope if there was a 1/3000 chance for your alt to be shiny coloured if you were playing as a Pokemon.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Alright mentioned several times in this thread, but just give us shiny alts for all the Pokemon, jeez.
I still don't know why they removed shiny Mewtwo and why they still don't have pro-gen II shiny Charizard.

Although, it would be dope if there was a 1/3000 chance for your alt to be shiny coloured if you were playing as a Pokemon.
And no shiny Lucario either, which is probably the biggest missed opportunity of all

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For Sephiroth:
  1. Default
  2. Cloud (purple)
  3. Jenova (grey)
  4. Genesis (red)
  5. FF7R Rufus Shinra (white)
  6. Aerith (red/pink)
  7. Coatless (alt.)
  8. Safer Sephiroth (alt. brown)
For Pyra/Mythra:
  1. Default
  2. Pneuma
  3. Swapped
  4. Blue Sky & Carbon
  5. Fei Wong Fong & Elly
  6. KOS-MOS & T-ELOS
  7. Shulk & Melia (Future Conencted)
  8. Lin & Elma
Like some of these: https://twitter.com/cykeswiki/status/1362478222156292099?s=21

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If we can't get a Paula echo, I'd settle for Ness with Paula's colours. Lucas with Kuma's colours would be amazing.

How Fox doesn't have a blue-furred Krystal alt I'll never understand.

I'm kinda glad none of the plumbers have Stanley alts because then I'd have to "well actually" a bunch of little kids who think it's supposed to be the unfunny reused audio clips and ableism man. I don't want to do that, but I know I'd do that.

They need to bring back green DK's skin tone from Smash 64.

I really wish the other Zelda characters had equivalents to Link's dark alt, especially if Ganondorf's was an original "Light Ganon"

Pit's cyan alt from 3DS/Wii U is one of the best in Smash history and I have no clue why they cut it instead of that terrible yellow hair alt.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Shadow recolors:
1: Default
2: Yellow Android
3: Biolizard
4: Rouge
5: Maria
6: Mephelis
7: Infinite
8: Super Shadow

Metal Sonic colors:
1: Default
2: Silver Sonic
3: Mecha Sonic
4: Caterkiller
5: Egg Pawn
6: Metal Sonic 3.0
7: Metal Sonic Kai
8: Neo Metal Sonic (alt costume)

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
If we can't get a Paula echo, I'd settle for Ness with Paula's colours. Lucas with Kuma's colours would be amazing.
I personally would've loved those alts, they would be so cute!

How Fox doesn't have a blue-furred Krystal alt I'll never understand
One of Falco's colors looks similar to her but I understand why you feel like Fox should have it.

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
For me, instead of just adding the green hair from the Sothis fusion for both Byleth (:femlythnod:), I was thinking they could've added more color palettes that made references to some of the members of the Church and Knights of Seiros from Fire Emblem: Three Houses. For example, for the male Byleth:ultbyleth:, they could've added the color scheme from Hanneman or Jeralt. For the female Byleth:ultbylethf:, they could've added the color scheme from Rhea or Catherine.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Something I really dig about most of the newcomers is how nearly every alt is a direct reference to one of their canonical appearances. Ridley's are some of the best in that regard (they all perfectly and obviously depict some version of him), but Simon's are also great. His alts pull influence from every major appearance he's had during Castlevania's early years...

...except for his iconic appearance in Super Castlevania VI.

Yes, technically there are colors that reference the game's box art, but not his actual in-game design. A lot of his other alts do this, so why did Super get passed up?

Either way, I wanted to remedy this. I gave his main armor that silver, ALMOST turquoise-y color that's seen in his sprites. I made his hair a little darker to match, and even made the jewel on his little...crown tiara thing?...green as a reference to how his armor appeared as green in some Western promo material.

It's interesting how, despite having eight pretty unique alts, this one still stands out. Even if you weren't familiar with SCIV, this silver might still remind you of Arthurian knights or even another God-fearing monster slayer, Ghosts 'n' Goblins' Arthur.

Simon's Smash render has...a lot going on. Even his most blatant of referential palette swaps take some liberties with these extra pieces, mostly his undergarment (the palette swap paying direct homage to his in-game NES Castlevania sprites, for example, make that piece purple). Because of this, I had a few options, and I'm not sure which one looks best.

simon2.jpg

simon1.jpg

simon3.jpg

The orange one is technically more accurate since I'm pretty sure his design is supposed to depict his bare pecks (because Simon knows how to work it, I guess?). The green, again, alludes to his green promo armor. And the purple just...I dunno, I just think it looks cool ha.

Let me know which one you think works best?

Last edited:

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
hopefully the community will find some way to mod ultimate after it is done like they have with 4 etc to add these colors as it seems pretty clear that there won't be anything after the last dlc character.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
White suit Ike recolor. The closest thing to a white recolor is a weird bluish color.

hopefully the community will find some way to mod ultimate after it is done like they have with 4 etc to add these colors as it seems pretty clear that there won't be anything after the last dlc character.
There is plenty of mod’s, but they are not very popular

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I know that Nintendo really doesn't like acknowledging the Justin Bailey code for whatever reason (I'm pretty sure the first and only time officially was a secret ending in Samus Returns?), but they have to know how iconic that look is, right? And if they didn't want to reference it in an actual Metroid game, then a non-canonical game like Smash is the perfect outlet to do so instead.

I tried making this alt more of a blatant reference than a one-to-one costume change, but I think it still works. I imagined the more solid-looking pieces of her suit being darker pink and metallic, while the lighter parts would be more of a light, breathable spandex-y material. I Then obviously changed all of the lit-up parts of her bracelets and boots to green to match her sprite. To simulate her arm cannon, I just changed the color of her blaster, which I think is Smash-appropriate.

Like a lot of Justin Baliey alts, though, getting her hair right was hard. If you make it too green, it looks like an unnatural, amateur photoshop job. If it's a more subtle green, it just looks gross. I even tried making it more turquoise like the original sprite, but that ended up looking more ~v a p o r w a v e~ than anything.

I don't know if I nailed it or not, but after about an hour of going through different shades of greens, color was beginning to lose all meaning. This one ultimately just looked the best.

output-onlinepngtools(5).png

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
It's been all but confirmed that the 8th Duck Hunt alt was supposed to be a sly, super subtle reference to Banjo & Kazooie back in Smash 4, right? I think Sakurai/Nintendo knew that the duo was very highly suggested by fans, but they weren't ready to even begin thinking about those negotiations. But considering Duck Hunt is also a mammal-bird duo, they tossed in this Easter egg.

It's not a blatant reference, but you can see it if you squint. The darker brown fur, the red feathers, the yellow collar...the fact that it's the alt Duck Hunt uses in B&K's Classic Mode route helps.

Anyway, I figured that it would've been appropriate to give Banjo a Duck Hunt alt. I made his fur and skin the same color as the dog's, and even made his freckles a little more prominent to match the dog's whisker spots. I hope that Kazooie's colors are pretty obvious.

Here's the thing: unlike the dog, Banjo's wearing...y'know, clothes. I wasn't sure what to do with these, so I just based them on the iconic background of the actual Duck Hunt game, making his shorts the same shade of green as the grass and his backpack the same sky blue as...the sky. Didn't really have many options to work with.

I dunno, just a fun experiment/a nod I would've liked to have seen. I think it could've been a cheeky enough reference for the old Rareware team to have gotten a laugh out of.

output-onlinepngtools(17).png

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how the Virtual Boy went from one of Nintendo's most embarrassing mistakes to one of their favorite go-to self-deprecating jokes. It used to be way too touchy of a subject to ever really reference. I think that's what made its little cameo in Melee such a surprise to a lot of people. Maybe that's the catalyst that convinced Nintendo to allow more subtle VB references, from ROB's red alt to its appearance in the Gamer stage. Nowadays, Nintendo is openly embracing this weirder part of its history, going as far as to making it E. Gadd's latest communication device in Luigi's Mansion 3.

Gotta love a comeback story.

But what's weird is that, of all the characters who deserved a legitimate Virtual Boy-inspired alt, it's Wario. He's the only one on the roster who starred in an actual game on the console (console? thing?) and it was pretty well received (all things considering).

I think that's a big missed opportunity...fitting for Wario, a character who is already known for his missed opportunities in Smash.

output-onlinepngtools(16).png

Oracle Link

Smash Master
It's funny how the Virtual Boy went from one of Nintendo's most embarrassing mistakes to one of their favorite go-to self-deprecating jokes. It used to be way too touchy of a subject to ever really reference. I think that's what made its little cameo in Melee such a surprise to a lot of people. Maybe that's the catalyst that convinced Nintendo to allow more subtle VB references, from ROB's red alt to its appearance in the Gamer stage. Nowadays, Nintendo is openly embracing this weirder part of its history, going as far as to making it E. Gadd's latest communication device in Luigi's Mansion 3.

Gotta love a comeback story.

But what's weird is that, of all the characters who deserved a legitimate Virtual Boy-inspired alt, it's Wario. He's the only one on the roster who starred in an actual game on the console (console? thing?) and it was pretty well received (all things considering).

I think that's a big missed opportunity...fitting for Wario, a character who is already known for his missed opportunities in Smash.

View attachment 332345
Also sad that the black and white alt for plumber wario is gone it was such a nice Wario land 3 refrence!

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Gonna fire off some classic Mario alts here real quick:

I know we're all still recovering from the head trauma we suffered by facepalming at Fire Mario's omission (and rightfully so), but you know what I've always found even worse? The fact that OG NES red-and-brown Mario has never once been an alt in the history of Smash. Despite the fact that it's easily his second most recognizable look. For something that acts as something of a digital Nintendo museum, that just feels wrong.

Some people have tried to make the argument that this color combo is gross, but that's just straight uncultured. Look how clean this fit is!

output-onlinepngtools(6).png

Speaking of classic looks, this is just a slight rework of Daisy's default dress. I think it would've been cool to go back to her early days of having slightly more tanned skin and wearing her white-trimmed dress and pink crown. It's kinda weird how all of Peach's Daisy alts had tan skin but Daisy herself doesn't...?

output-onlinepngtools(9).png

A lot of people would probably assume that an alt like this wouldn't have been able to work anyway because it's too similar to an existing alt, citing Wedding Mario replacing Fire Mario. But guys...c'mon. Richter literally has "Blue Alt" and "Also Blue Alt", so i don't think something like this would've been an issue.

Finally, can we talk about Plant's blue alt? On paper, it sounds like it's supposed to be a reference to its appearance in Underground levels. Which is...fine. It looks fine enough.

But as you can see, it could look so much better.

output-onlinepngtools(18).png

I love this alt. I hate patting myself on the back, but it might be my favorite that I've ever made. I love how the exact shades of blue and orange seen in World 1-2's Plant sprites look dope on its Smash render. It translated so damn well.

If this was real, I'd be much more of a Plant main....

More tomorrow!

Also sad that the black and white alt for plumber wario is gone it was such a nice Wario land 3 refrence!
YES! I exclusively used that alt for that exact reason. It's a shame considering there's so few references to Wario Land in Smash already.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Gonna fire off some classic Mario alts here real quick:

I know we're all still recovering from the head trauma we suffered by facepalming at Fire Mario's omission (and rightfully so), but you know what I've always found even worse? The fact that OG NES red-and-brown Mario has never once been an alt in the history of Smash. Despite the fact that it's easily his second most recognizable look. For something that acts as something of a digital Nintendo museum, that just feels wrong.

Some people have tried to make the argument that this color combo is gross, but that's just straight uncultured. Look how clean this fit is!

View attachment 332540

Speaking of classic looks, this is just a slight rework of Daisy's default dress. I think it would've been cool to go back to her early days of having slightly more tanned skin and wearing her white-trimmed dress and pink crown. It's kinda weird how all of Peach's Daisy alts had tan skin but Daisy herself doesn't...?

View attachment 332542

A lot of people would probably assume that an alt like this wouldn't have been able to work anyway because it's too similar to an existing alt, citing Wedding Mario replacing Fire Mario. But guys...c'mon. Richter literally has "Blue Alt" and "Also Blue Alt", so i don't think something like this would've been an issue.

Finally, can we talk about Plant's blue alt? On paper, it sounds like it's supposed to be a reference to its appearance in Underground levels. Which is...fine. It looks fine enough.

But as you can see, it could look so much better.

View attachment 332544

I love this alt. I hate patting myself on the back, but it might be my favorite that I've ever made. I love how the exact shades of blue and orange seen in World 1-2's Plant sprites look dope on its Smash render. It translated so damn well.

If this was real, I'd be much more of a Plant main....

More tomorrow!

YES! I exclusively used that alt for that exact reason. It's a shame considering there's so few references to Wario Land in Smash already.
Yeah I mean The wario land theme, Shoulder bash on b with the ability to jump with it and ss. teacup or Syrups castle wouldve been great!

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Today, ladies and gentlemen (or at least the three of you who ever visit this thread), I want to talk about something very important. For the past 17 years, an epidemic has been sweeping the internet. Through the spread of this vile misinformation, vicious lies have grown to be known as truths. Yet I stand before you today to declare that ignorance has been rewarded for too long.

I am talking, of course, about Kris Erasure.

Pokemon Crystal was released in late-2000 in Japan, hitting Stateside in mid-2001. According to producer Tsunekazu Ishihara, this game was designed to be the final game in the Pokemon franchise, so they knew they had to made it as grand as possible. Gold and Silver were already unprecedented successes, but GameFreak knew that they could do even better. They included a couple of story tweaks, some minor quality of life fixes, and the big one: the ability to choose your Trainer's gender.

To go alongside Gold was Kris, a seafoam-blue-haired girl trainer that set the bar for games moving forward. She was a pioneer, a trailblazer. The stage was set for her to become an icon.

But she didn't.

Instead, just three years later, FireRed and LeafGreen were released. Being remakes of Gen 1 games, GameFreak needed to create a female trainer to join Red. Thus, Leaf was born. And in a bizarre case of rewriting their own history, Pokemon made her the icon, as if the remakes were the real first games in the franchise. To rub salt into the wound, by the time the highly-anticipated Johto remakes came around, Kris was nowhere to be found. Gold didn't get replaced, he just got an update. Kris wasn't so lucky. Kris was erased from existence. Instead, we got...Lyra.

She lingered in limbo, forgotten by all but her small, quiet fanbase until the release of Pokemon Masters, a mobile game released 18 years after Pokemon Crystal.

Smash Ultimate brought back Pokemon Trainer, who once again is represented by FireRed/LeafGreen's Red. So it only makes sense for his genderswap to be Leaf. And it's great that we got a female trainer at all...but I feel dirty playing Leaf knowing that that's Kris's spot on the roster, dammit.

To channel my frustration and finally feel a sense of catharsis, I made this alt. She's lacking her spiky twintails, white jacket, and Pokegear, but I still think this color combo fits the female Trainer well. Trying to fit Kris's colors onto Leaf's outfit was actually a really fun challenge. It really makes me hope that one of the things revealed on Tuesday is a new mode where you get to toy around with designing your own colorswap alts.

output-onlinepngtools(20).png

And hey, if any of the three of you who will ever read this have any connections to GameFreak...pass along the word. This is injustice and we demand that they release Kris from whatever captivity they're keeping her in.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Okay, last batch. Here we go:

Link getting a slight Breath of the Wild rework was a bigger deal than I think a lot of people gave it credit for. What sucks is how both Young and Toon Links got completely screwed over in the process. The missed potential is so vast that it's downright infamous. And while the biggest forms of contention stems from the uninspired movesets, I personally think the lack of alts is even worse.

Like Justin Bailey, Nintendo seems almost ashamed of Link's ALttP pink-haired sprite, despite being a fan favorite. Throwing such a simple nod into Smash would've made a ton of Zelda fans happy.

output-onlinepngtools(14).png

But while a lot of people are content with just a pink-haired default Toon Link, I think it would've been cool if Smash went the extra mile and gave us three, each based on the different tunics/chain mails Link can equip in ALttP: one default Green Mail, one based on the Blue Mail, and one based on the Red Mail. They're such unique color combos for Toon that really stand out compared to his current alts.

output-onlinepngtools(15).png

output-onlinepngtools(19).png

And finally, the last two alts that I have to share, and it's all been leading to these: Young Link.

This kid 100% should have represented Majora's Mask in some way, but he just doesn't. Which, to me, borders on blasphemous.

While I think his default look should've come equipped with the Razor Sword and Mirror Shield (like practically all of Majora's Mask's promo material), I really suck at photoshop, so I just made what I think are two absolutely necessary recolors.

output-onlinepngtools(13).png

The first one is just a slight alteration to his orange alt. I dig his orange alt, I really do, but with a few tiny tweaks it could've been so much better.

Literally just add a few hints of green. Just to his belt and pants (hey, they gave him some in his Breath of the Wild alt, they could give him some here). Boom, now the orange alt is a Skull Kid-themed one! See? Easy.

I think it would've been cool if he also had purple eyes as a nod to Majora's Mask. It's a tiny detail, but I think it would've subtly sold the "possessed by evil mask" look.

The second one is...I mean, how do I even describe how big of an omission this is? It's "getting rid of Fire Mario" levels of incompetent. In a game filled to the brim with great references, easter eggs, and callbacks, how do you miss something as obvious and simple as this??

output-onlinepngtools(12).png

Purple is the color motif for Majora's Mask. If they weren't going to add the Razor Sword, Mirror Shield, a Skull Kid alt, any masks, Fierce Deity as a Final Smash, or anything else, the very least they could've done was give Young Link's base tunic a very simple color swap. The fact that they instead gave him a Breath of the Wild alt is...I mean, it's beyond baffling. It's downright irresponsible, and I'm only being a little hyperbolic.

Whew...glad I got that off my chest.

Well hey, I hope someone out there enjoyed these. Final character tomorrow. Fingers crossed this ride ends with a bang, right?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Alright, since we know Sora's the last fighter, here are his canonical alts:
  1. KH1 outfit
  2. KH2 outfit
  3. DDD outfit
  4. KH3 outfit
  5. Timeless River (KH1 alt)
  6. Valor Form (KH2 red)
  7. Wisdom Form (DDD blue)
  8. Ultimate Form (KH3 white)
I like the latter 3 all well and good, but I had some other ideas for them.
  1. Roxas (KH2 white)
  2. Neku Sakuraba (DDD purple)
  3. Riku (KH3 black)

Reksew_Trebla

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I think it would have been cool if Sora had an alt wielding the Dream Sword. It does have the Mickey symbol on it, but so does the Kingdom Key.

Also, Anti Form, but wielding the Kingdom Key D (Mickey’s version). It is a keyblade of darkness, and Anti Form canonically is because of that time Sora turned into a heartless.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Alright, since we know Sora's the last fighter, here are his canonical alts:
  1. KH1 outfit
  2. KH2 outfit
  3. DDD outfit
  4. KH3 outfit
  5. Timeless River (KH1 alt)
  6. Valor Form (KH2 red)
  7. Wisdom Form (DDD blue)
  8. Ultimate Form (KH3 white)
I like the latter 3 all well and good, but I had some other ideas for them.
  1. Roxas (KH2 white)
  2. Neku Sakuraba (DDD purple)
  3. Riku (KH3 black)
Decided to redo this:
  1. KH1 outfit
    1. default
    2. KH1 Riku (yellow)
    3. KH1 Kairi (purple)
    4. Timeless River Sora
  2. KH2 outfit
    1. default
    2. Valor Form (red)