• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
O, hah. Yeah, that's what I thought too, though I don't really know how to do it...mostly I do it on accident with jabs. Does it basically allow you to do attacks like you would from a standing position?

Sensei

Smash Lord
I wrote an elaborate paragraph all about pivoting in ssb64 in a post a while back. You never recognized or even read it I think. I'm too lazy too look for it now. Smash pivoting is easier in ssb64 but tilt and jab pivoting is harder than in melee.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Smash pivoting is easier in ssb64 but tilt and jab pivoting is harder than in melee.
pivots are retardedly hard in melee, I don't know what your saying when anything that involves pivoting is easier in melee because it isn't....Oh look ssb64 FLICK THE CONTROLLER; oh wow you just did a pivot dash omg and a tilt? **** omg thats leik fREAKin IMPOSSIBLE!!!! oh **** no way he DID A JAB?

Sensei

Smash Lord
pivots are retardedly hard in melee, I don't know what your saying when anything that involves pivoting is easier in melee because it isn't....Oh look ssb64 FLICK THE CONTROLLER; oh wow you just did a pivot dash omg and a tilt? **** omg thats leik fREAKin IMPOSSIBLE!!!! oh **** no way he DID A JAB?
What are you talking about? Tilt and jab pivoting requires more commands in ssb64 than in melee. Well IMO, pivoting is easier for these moves...now that I think of it, can you do a jab tilt in melee? That could be harder to do than in ssb64. But IMO, tilt pivoting is harder in ssb64. Well I found my original post.

I just noticed there isn't any description on pivoting here. Well pivoting is possible in SSB64. You can dash in one direction and then smash the other direction while holding A. You immediately do a smash attack the direction you were evading from. You can can do tilts, neutral A, and even B attacks also but they are more difficult to execute. Basically to do tilts or other attacks besides the smash attack, you dash one way then you press the opposite direction on the control stick for a moment so you turn around but not enough so that you start dashing again. After the frame animation of turning around is complete, you can do any attack. "Smash" pivoting is easier in SSB64 than in Melee, but to do the other attacks while pivoting is harder in SSB64 than in Melee except maybe for the jab pivot.
I added the part in italics because, if its even possible, then I've realized the jab tilt might be insanely hard to do on melee. You would have to let go of the joystick as soon as your done dashing and turning around, then tap A, which requires a lot of dexterity.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
O heh, sorry Sensei...I think I might just have missed your post :urg: my bad.
And I wasn't sure if pivoting was the same in SSB as it was in Melee. Because I knew what pivoting was, and that it was stupidly hard in Melee heh.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah, I know the feeling.
It's updated with pivoting now, heh.
Geh, I feel like I should organize it and maybe post some combos, but I'm too lazy!!! Sigh. *Hates being lazy*

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think it's at the end of the initial dash, so yes, you could use it during dash dancing I would assume.

greenblob

Smash Lord
So then was what I had on the video actually parrying? Or do I have to turn before doing it.

Er, I meant pivoting instead of parrying.

moogle

Smash Ace
That little Yoshi head flip is actually when you flick the shield button, so that you don't go into your egg-shield. You get a frame of invulnerability (except to throws) during that head flip. That's the parry. I guess it looks like an up-tilt. ;) But as far as I know, Yoshi's up-tilt doesn't have invulnerability frames.

There's also an effect (probably directly related) where Yoshi gets no shield-stun if he times his egg-shield just right. It's much like power shielding in ssbm, but it doesn't reflect projectiles. Also, it's easier to do this technique accidentally, compared to the parry (at least in my experience :)).

I think ant-d has frame data on these things somewhere.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
O really? Weird...it looked like an uptilt to me...I was wondering how he was doing so many at once...
Kind of like Kirby's uptilt.
Eh. Silly me...
And I think I've seen that vid. I think ant-d calls it the Yoshi block counter or something. 4 frames before an attack if I remember correctly...
I wonder how malva found all these things, because ant-d got it from him.

ant-d

Smash Lord
It's possible to shield a grab... well at least for CPUs...

Strange graphics glitch I just got. o_0

Better explanation of pivoting is needed. I'm looking at you Sensei <__<

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
That little Yoshi head flip is actually when you flick the shield button, so that you don't go into your egg-shield. You get a frame of invulnerability (except to throws) during that head flip. That's the parry. I guess it looks like an up-tilt. ;) But as far as I know, Yoshi's up-tilt doesn't have invulnerability frames.

There's also an effect (probably directly related) where Yoshi gets no shield-stun if he times his egg-shield just right. It's much like power shielding in ssbm, but it doesn't reflect projectiles. Also, it's easier to do this technique accidentally, compared to the parry (at least in my experience :)).

I think ant-d has frame data on these things somewhere.
It is directly related it's just that if you hold the shield button too long your parrying into a sheilding position

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
DK looks like he's eating a banana :laugh:
And eh, the pivot is basically what it sounds like...
I'll try to get a vid of it sometime...I can't play at the moment, grr.

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
Just reading through the list of techniques and was wondering...since I can't be arsed to read through a million and one posts if any further info on crouch cancelling exists...ie/ does it actually exist in SSB?

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
How effective is it? Like, say for example, a usmash knocks a particular character off top of the screen at 100%, what would this be increased to if the opponent crouch cancelled?

ant-d

Smash Lord
You can cancel Pikachu's jab into a throw. It hasn't been explained.

To do this you must press A, wait <6 frames, then press R.

In reality you should press R as soon as possible after pressing A.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Ugh, I just experienced a glitch where I did Up-air on Level-9 JigglyPuff, she sang, which effected me in the air... Fox fell onto the platform and was immediately sleeping :psycho:

And Kirby has a yellow/brown/white coat when playing using Vista:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Haha Vista...I want it...
What do you mean immediately sleeping...
And thanks for the Pikachu thing. Can other characters do it too? I've heard Mario can...

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
When I do it with Ness, the punch never seems to connect. I'm pretty sure it gets cancelled, like, the frame before it has a hitbox. Mario's, though, is one of the more useful punch/throw cancels.

Unless I'm just thinking of punching with Mario, and then throwing. ^_^

nutinurmacaroni

Smash Rookie
i read this topic but you know what? now im even more confused by everything than i was before i read it lol are there any instructional videos for these things or what. and who is the best character i have a feeling its kirby or is it a matter of opinion? and if anyone has seen comicalflops tas with kirby can someone tell me how to do the upwards speed drills on his btt and btp? does he "short hop in air and button slide"? thx

ant-d

Smash Lord
The Cbuttons are not pressure sensitive, it doesn't matter how hard or light you press it.

Just hold it for a short time.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Pivot:

Dash Forward, quickly press backward [while turning], quickly jab or tilt.

It's very useful. I have a collection of vids that I never put on youtube. One of which is Kirby breaking a shield with dash pivoting up-tilts.

Top Bottom