• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Unless he's arguing you can cancel the 2nd jump too, but I don't know where he's going with that.
And what's with the yuck at the shine? It's what it's generally referred to as.

Thino

Smash Master
I think it shouldnt even be called shinecancel , cuz shinecancelling involves cancelling the shine , the jump, it should be called JC or even DJC . meh... its just a matter of name whatsoever

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well jump cancel implies that you're jumping to cancel the shine, which just isn't the case. Ambiguity with SSBM and all that...

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Whoa, organization, what an amazing concept...
Umm...I guess I could do categories...
...Someone tell me how. My organization skills suck horribly.

slow like

Smash Cadet
this might be a really n00by question, but when playing ness, what are the benefits of DJC as opposed to single JC? is it faster to cancel the double jump than the first jump?

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Lol! You can't cancel Ness' first jump. Well, I guess you could - his Up+B and Down+B both stop his vertical speed. But that doesn't really count. (Though if you get knocked very far away from the stage, and want to stall for a bit, Down+B-ing repeatedly will in effect slow your fall.)

The reason his double jump can be cancelled is because as opposed to a normal jump, which just sets your vertical speed to some upwards value, Ness and Yoshi's double jumps actually animate a small circular movement, and then set the character's speed to some upwards value. So, if you cancel the circular animation early, then your speed never gets changed to an upwards value and you simply fall.

What's interesting about Ness' DJC is that his backwards double jump actually sets his horizontal speed to some value during the circular animation. So if you cancel his backwards double jump at certain frames, you maintain the speed of those frames. So for instance, a backwards-DJCed nair will, when timed properly, send you flying off backwards until the nair animation ends. You can do stuff like backwards-DJC-nair from the middle of Dreamland to the edge, and grab the ledge.

Ness' movement is crazy awesome. :D He's so fun just to frick around with.

slow like

Smash Cadet
dude, it's SO much fun. i just need to practice button sliding. and def need to try that backwards djc, that sounds really rad!

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Lol! You can't cancel Ness' first jump. Well, I guess you could - his Up+B and Down+B both stop his vertical speed. But that doesn't really count. (Though if you get knocked very far away from the stage, and want to stall for a bit, Down+B-ing repeatedly will in effect slow your fall.)

The reason his double jump can be cancelled is because as opposed to a normal jump, which just sets your vertical speed to some upwards value, Ness and Yoshi's double jumps actually animate a small circular movement, and then set the character's speed to some upwards value. So, if you cancel the circular animation early, then your speed never gets changed to an upwards value and you simply fall.

What's interesting about Ness' DJC is that his backwards double jump actually sets his horizontal speed to some value during the circular animation. So if you cancel his backwards double jump at certain frames, you maintain the speed of those frames. So for instance, a backwards-DJCed nair will, when timed properly, send you flying off backwards until the nair animation ends. You can do stuff like backwards-DJC-nair from the middle of Dreamland to the edge, and grab the ledge.

Ness' movement is crazy awesome. :D He's so fun just to frick around with.
You can cancel the first jump by jumping again... technicly that is a jump cancel...

_kSo_

Smash Master
Oh and I agree; ant-d (or anyone for that matter) should make an advanced tutorial for smash

Hmm maybe I'll do it - i have a lot of free time...lol

well im gonna get started

_kSo_

Smash Master
originally i was actually planning on using clips i had left over from old combo videos and match videos, but they arent really "tutorial" style clips

Nephiros

Smash Ace
I don't know what's going on and I'm too lazy to check. But I have a good screen recorder that doesn't lag so catch me on MSN (marcusdraconis_2@hotmail dot com) if you guys need any good stuff. I have no problem with very technical stuff (slides, DI, fast shine breaking, etc.) and also could show some ****ed up situational techniques of mine.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
oy I noticed something the other day:
I was playing a newbie, and by accident the guy killed himself using link's (ground) up-b and falling off the edge doing it...

Now I'm wondering how much range it would take in mid air; let's say while falling from the green tower in hyrule and if it has the same effect as a normal ground up-b from link.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
oy I noticed something the other day:
I was playing a newbie, and by accident the guy killed himself using link's (ground) up-b and falling off the edge doing it...

Now I'm wondering how much range it would take in mid air; let's say while falling from the green tower in hyrule and if it has the same effect as a normal ground up-b from link.
Was this on kirby's stage or did he run and Up B? cuz the wind can blow you off during that attack.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Kirby's bedroom? That's a new one. :laugh:
But I've never heard of getting blown off in the middle of a spin attack.

Top Bottom