• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

Dinoman96

Smash Master
No, I mean having Rayman in Smash spreads word of his existence by him being there. It's free advertising.

I mean, Kid Icarus: Uprising got a sale in my household because of Smash.
This is the same argument people made for Bayonetta and I don't agree with it. Having third parties in Smash shouldn't be "for free advertising". The third party character in question should be famous enough to warrant "invading" a big Nintendo crossover game like this, and Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man and Mega Man most certainly were.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is the same argument people made for Bayonetta and I don't agree with it. Having third parties in Smash shouldn't be "for advertising". The third party character in question should be famous enough to warrant "invading" a big Nintendo crossover game like this, and Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man and Mega Man most certainly were.
Snake wasn't, he only got in because Sakurai and Kojima were friends

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, no offense to Snake fans, but he was legitimately added because Kojima is best friends with Sakurai. While Snake is undeniably an iconic and influential symbol of video game culture, it wasn't those merits that got him in the door. It was Kojima tapping Sakurai on the shoulder and asking him a favour. That he is a popular and respected video game hero is a nice coincidence.

I think it was @Sabrewulf238 who said that there aren't really any big third-party characters left that would work in Smash besides a small handful (Black Mage, Simon Belmont, etc.), so if there are going to be any more third-party characters at all, they'd have to be big enough to fit the bill without necessarily being at the zeitgeist-defining qualities of Sonic and Pac-Man.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is the same argument people made for Bayonetta and I don't agree with it. Having third parties in Smash shouldn't be "for free advertising". The third party character in question should be famous enough to warrant "invading" a big Nintendo crossover game like this, and Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man and Mega Man most certainly were.
Rayman IS famous enough to warrant an inclusion. I'm not speaking from that perspective though. I mean, in terms of any third party company being approached by Sakurai/Nintendo to have their mascot in Smash, there is no reason to decline, because it is free advertising.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, no offense to Snake fans, but he was legitimately added because Kojima is best friends with Sakurai. While Snake is undeniably an iconic and influential symbol of video game culture, it wasn't those merits that got him in the door. It was Kojima tapping Sakurai on the shoulder and asking him a favour. That he is a popular and respected video game hero is a nice coincidence.

I think it was @Sabrewulf238 who said that there aren't really any big third-party characters left that would work in Smash besides a small handful (Black Mage, Simon Belmont, etc.), so if there are going to be any more third-party characters at all, they'd have to be big enough to fit the bill without necessarily being at the zeitgeist-defining qualities of Sonic and Pac-Man.
No one is denying that, of course he got in because they were friends if you think differently then your insane.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Simon isn't very iconic anymore. As much as I love the bro, he's gotten kind of obscure outside the Smash Fanbase.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So, any ideas on how Rayman would enter the battle ( warp pipe for Mario)?
Well, anyone think the Horse Rocket from Rayman 2 could be used? Either the orange one could waddle in like Lucus's intro in a way, or the tan-ish one that could fly in, like Captain Falcon's intro?

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
This is the same argument people made for Bayonetta and I don't agree with it. Having third parties in Smash shouldn't be "for advertising". The third party character in question should be famous enough to warrant "invading" a big Nintendo crossover game like this, and Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man and Mega Man most certainly were.
Look, don't get me wrong. Mega Man is a famous character, but I don't know if he can be put on the same pillar as Mario and Pac-Man. To old school school gamers, he is, but to those(like me) that have started playing games just as his relevance was waning, you could argue he isn't. I have nothing against Mega Man, but I just feel as though that this generation of gamers would have been more comfortable with the idea that Rayman could be a fighter, as he can be considered a gaming icon. I mean, when coupled with the Rabbids series, the Rayman series as a whole have sold more than Mega Man and even Metal Gear Solid.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To put into perspective, the Mega Man franchise has sold 29 million, but this includes all of it's sub fracnchises (Mega Man X, Mega Man Legends, etc).

The Rayman franchise has sold 24 million, but this DOES NOT include the "Rayman: Raving Rabbids" titles, or any other Rabbids titles.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I believe they actually tried to get Cloud as well. That fell through though, so they instead tried to get Lara Croft, which also fell through. Square is kind of a douche when it comes to licensing their characters.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is all rumors...
They wanted Snake and classic Dante too, but couldn't get them. The thing with Lara Croft was that the people working on the (new at the time) Tomb Raider reboot didn't want to put her in PSAS before her actual game came out (unlike some other company making a reboot). However they said that now that the game came out they'd be willing to have Lara in the game, but at that time Sony let Superbot go (company who made the game) and put Sony Santa Monica Studio's in change of the game's future, and they just didn't want to make more dlc characters while Superbot did, it's unfortunate that 6 of the most wanted characters for the game couldn't get in due to legal reasons, thus getting a bunch of undeserved crap for it and not getting as many sales as it potentially could have
Anyway Rayman, WHY THE THREE TROPHIES? I still don't get it, if it's because Nintendo published a Rayman game in Japan, then why not add a Professor Layton trophy, and why did they feel the need to add THREE?

To put into perspective, the Mega Man franchise has sold 29 million, but this includes all of it's sub fracnchises (Mega Man X, Mega Man Legends, etc).

The Rayman franchise has sold 24 million, but this DOES NOT include the "Rayman: Raving Rabbids" titles, or any other Rabbids titles.
wait only 29 million? that sounds impossible to me. . .
damn

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, DO you count the sales of the Rabbids series when talking about the Rayman series? On one hand, the Rabbids series did start with the Rayman moniker, but then got rid of it. Do you count it or not?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

I've been wondering, do we know if it also counts the Mega Man Zero series which doesn't even really star Mega Man?

So, DO you count the sales of the Rabbids series when talking about the Rayman series? On one hand, the Rabbids series did start with the Rayman moniker, but then got rid of it. Do you count it or not?
Didn't play any but the second but I know the first 2 still had rayman as the main character so I'm pretty sure those are automatically fair game.
as for the rest it is more of a fine line. maybe 50% of sales? I personally include them as I did above^

oh and this better not devolve in any way to snake bashing. we need more grenades and boxes in this game

hi mods.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This would depend entirely on the topic of discussion.

In terms of Smash, I do count it. In all likelihood, the Rabbids would get some degree of representation in Smash if Rayman was a fighter. Just like how all of the sub-franchises of Mega Man get some representation, even though the actual main universe being represented is the Classic one.

In that case, the "Rayman: Raving Rabbids" brand (this includes titles that omit the "Rayman" name) has sold 14 million.

In total, Rayman and it's ONE sub-franchise have sold 40 million. Meanwhile, Mega Man and ALL of it's MANY sub-franchises, have sold 29 million.

So if Mega Man is "A Tier", Rayman must be "S Tier".

I can also personally attest to Mega Man being more or less a nobody in Ireland, while Rayman has been consistently beloved. I've literally never seen a Mega Man game on a store shelf in my entire life, yet have seen every noteworthy Rayman title on one.

This would depend entirely on the topic of discussion.

In terms of Smash, I do count it. In all likelihood, the Rabbids would get some degree of representation in Smash if Rayman was a fighter. Just like how all of the sub-franchises of Mega Man get some representation, even though the actual main universe being represented is the Classic one.

In that case, the "Rayman: Raving Rabbids" brand (this includes titles that omit the "Rayman" name) has sold 14 million.

In total, Rayman and it's ONE sub-franchise have sold 40 million. Meanwhile, Mega Man and ALL of it's MANY sub-franchises, have sold 29 million.

So if Mega Man is "A Tier", Rayman must be "S Tier".

I can also personally attest to Mega Man being more or less a nobody in Ireland, while Rayman has been consistently beloved. I've literally never seen a Mega Man game on a store shelf in my entire life, yet have seen every noteworthy Rayman title on one.
sorry. I love rayman and all. But mega man is more iconic worldwide.
or at least Japan's target audience, NA and Japan.
imo the 3rd party tier is

S Soinc Pac man
A+mega man
A Rayman *snake (don't know his japanese popularity)

isn't rayman a european franchise as well
(plus mega man has been ignored for years now.)

EDIT man @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux is going to wonder what all this activity is. I's just insanity :awesome:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
sorry. I love rayman and all. But mega man is more iconic worldwide.
or at least Japan's target audience, NA and Japan.
imo the 3rd party tier is

S Soinc Pac man
A+mega man
A Rayman *snake (don't know his japanese popularity)

isn't rayman a european franchise as well
(plus mega man has been ignored for years now.)
You don't seem to have any proof of Rayman being less iconic worldwide. The sales figures speak for themselves.

Rayman was ignored for years too, but when he DID make a comeback, it was well received.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Any thoughts on what his taunts could be?

I was thinking one of his taunts should be the dance that he performs in Rayman 2.

Can someone get a gif of that?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Any thoughts on what his taunts could be?

I was thinking one of his taunts should be the dance that he performs in Rayman 2.

Can someone get a gif of that?
The grimace/funny face from Rayman 1, for starters.
Then maybe the animation from Rayman 2 where he twirls his body around like a basketball.

----

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
If there's anything I'd want most is his humorous dance after completing a level in Rayman 2.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, I've been receiving a ton of alerts lately, so when I go to read them, I find out that.....

NonSpecificGuy has been liking my posts.
sigh

...He's going to like this post, is he?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
@ GaroMaster GaroMaster Watch the multiple posts. Only post one at a time, and if you need to say something else before someone else replies, you can edit your post to add more to it.

Last edited:
I guess you can say.............

he has no sympathy for me.:4myfriends:
It seems you misconstrued the message.

you have just been found guilty of double posting.

aka 2 or more post in a row. at the bottom left of your posts (next to report) you can see the "Edit" feature. Unless your comment is important or is required to alert someone it is best to use the edit button over creating a new post.

PS if you care you can turn off like alerts

Last edited:
Top Bottom