• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Swinging a ukelele, rolling pin, and plunger. Using a rope as his recovery for some random reason (tethers were removed as up specials anyway). Murphy coming out of nowhere for like half of his attacks. Rabbids as a final smash.

Making stuff up isn't staying true to his character, Rayman has moves to work with.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Swinging a ukelele, rolling pin, and plunger. Using a rope as his recovery for some random reason (tethers were removed as up specials anyway). Murphy coming out of nowhere for like half of his attacks. Rabbids as a final smash.

Making stuff up isn't staying true to his character, Rayman has moves to work with.
I'm not asking for it to replace the current OP moveset, just to have it in the Rayman by his Fans section.

And what do you mean "making stuff up"? Why do you feel like everything that Rayman does has to be a direct copy and paste from his games?
Do you see anybody complaining about this?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm not asking for it to replace the current OP moveset, just to have it in the Rayman by his Fans section.

And what do you mean "making stuff up"? Why do you feel like everything that Rayman does has to be a direct copy and paste from his games?

Well, no, but what you do see people complain about is this:

Anything but his specials people think is stupid.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825

I don't see that ever, I mostly see people really liking the whole execution of the character overall and I honestly think it works very well.

It sounds to me like James thinks that if it isn't directly brought right out of a Rayman game that it won't work and can't even be in the OP.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Because characters are generally based on what they can do in-games. No one complains? Ganondorf?

Literally had nothing to work with from his own game.
Ditto.

Pretty much ditto.
Ditto again.
Come on.
Namco was working on the game, you know.
How is this not accurate? He doesn't kick.
Literally everyone complains to hell and back about Wario.
Is a clone.

Maybe you should check first.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't see that ever, I mostly see people really liking the whole execution of the character overall and I honestly think it works very well.

It sounds to me like James thinks that if it isn't directly brought right out of a Rayman game that it won't work and can't even be in the OP.
It's a good idea to have moves taken directly from their games MegaMan and Snake (Sonic to a lesser extent) are good examples. Most of their entire moveset comes from their games.

I don't know how many threads you hang around but I've seen people complain how it's not in his character allot.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Well my moveset isn't even on-par with most of the disliked movesets, if you feel like my moveset is just too original and different then fine.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well my moveset isn't even on-par with most of the disliked movesets, if you feel like my moveset is just too original and different then fine.
I didn't see it, so I can't judge but I'm sure it was fine, just, like you said, maybe a little too original

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Opinions are the reason why most problems occur.
If there's one thing I would like you two (RedFlyNinja and JamesDNaux) to do, I would want each of you to label the pros and cons of each other's moveset in a polite manner.

No, I'm not the owner of this thread. However, that doesn't mean I can't make helpful suggestions.

Let's not get into an argument, guys.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If there's one thing I would like you two (RedFlyNinja and JamesDNaux) to do, I would want each of you to label the pros and cons of each other's moveset in a polite manner.

No, I'm not the owner of this thread. However, that doesn't mean I can't make helpful suggestions.

Who said anything about my moveset?

The only thing I said was "why the hell is Rayman pulling a ukelele out of nowhere to attack?"

I want Mario to swing his tuba around. That's not originality.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825

You just reminded me that I haven't even posted my moveset in the thread yet.

This is just a moveset, so I don't have stuff like battle entrances or stages. Just his attacks and taunts.

Standard Attacks

Jab - Ukelele: Rayman swings his Ukelele up to three times.

Side Tilt - Plunger: Rayman jabs a Plunger from Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Up Tilt - Rolling Pin: Rayman swipes the Rolling Pin from Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Down Tilt - Basketball Torso: Rayman dribbles his torso on the ground once as an attack from Rayman 2.

Dash Attack - Roll: A lesser known attack from Origins, Rayman does his roll attack.

Specials

Standard Special - Wind-Up Fist: Rayman winds up a punch from Origins.

Up Special - Rope: Similar to Ivysaur which puts a rope on the ledge to climb up. (From Rayman Legends)

Side Special - Plunger Gun: Rayman shoots the Plunger Gun from Raving Rabbids.

Down Special - Walking Shell: Rayman gets on a Walking Shell which boosts his speed, explodes on collision but damages Rayman. (Rayman just throws it in mid-air.)

Aerials (Murphy)

Nair - Murphy Spin: Murphy comes out and spins around Rayman to attack.

Fair - Murphy Smack: Murphy leaps out and smacks in front of Rayman.

Bair - Murphy Punch: Murphy jumps from behind and does a quick Punch.

Dair - Murphy Chomp: Murphy pops out from below and chomps below Rayman. (No Meteor Smash)

Uair - Murphy’s Magic: Murphy comes out from above and pushes opponents away. (Nearly identical to Game & Watch’s Uair.)

Smash Attacks (Rayman 3)

Side Smash - Lockjaw: Rayman swings the Lockjaw once. (Similar to Zero Suit Samus.)

Up Smash - Throttle Copter: Rayman spins the Throttle Copter. (Similar to Bowser Jr.)

Down Smash - Heavy Metal Fist: Rayman slams the Heavy Metal Fist(s) on the ground. (Similar to DK.)

Final Smash - Raving Rabbids: A cage of crazy rabbids comes down from the top of screen as Murphy cuts the rope holding the cage, the cage falls down to the stage and releases a swarm of Rabbids to pummel other players.

Taunts
Up Taunt - Rayman throws an Energy Shot in the air and catches it.

Side Taunt - Rayman takes out his Ukelele and plays the first part of the Sea of Serendipity World Map theme.

Down Taunt - Rayman opens his mouth with his hands and flails his tongue.

Who said anything about my moveset?

The only thing I said was "why the hell is Rayman pulling a ukelele out of nowhere to attack?"

I want Mario to swing his tuba around. That's not originality.
Does Mario have a tuba? No.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I forgot how well known Rayman was for smashing enemies with instruments. What even are fists?
You sound really mad right now, I put the Ukelele for his jab because I just thought it would be cool.

His Wind-Up Punch is his Standard Special if that makes you feel any better.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You sound really mad right now, I put the Ukelele for his jab because I just thought it would be cool.

His Wind-Up Punch is his Standard Special if that makes you feel any better.
I was unaware my voiceless text over the internet was capable of sounding like anything.

I'm more confused than anything. I thought that moveset was a bad joke at first.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I was unaware my voiceless text over the internet was capable of sounding like anything.

I'm more confused than anything. I thought that moveset was a bad joke at first.
That actually hurts my feelings a bit because I do like the moveset I came up with because I thought it was different and original in a good way and wanted it to just be tucked into the Rayman By his Fans section in the OP, but whatever.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I forgot how well known Rayman was for smashing enemies with instruments. What even are fists?
We may never know what fists are, James.
However, I wish you the best of luck on your journey for the answer.
However, when you do find out the meaning of fists, it will benefit all of humanity.

Learning the meaning of fists.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
That actually hurts my feelings a bit because I do like the moveset I came up with because I thought it was different and original in a good way and wanted it to just be tucked into the Rayman By his Fans section in the OP, but whatever.
You should probably check that section then.

My apologies if I came off a bit too blunt.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You just reminded me that I haven't even posted my moveset in the thread yet.

This is just a moveset, so I don't have stuff like battle entrances or stages. Just his attacks and taunts.

Standard Attacks

Jab - Ukelele: Rayman swings his Ukelele up to three times.

Side Tilt - Plunger: Rayman jabs a Plunger from Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Up Tilt - Rolling Pin: Rayman swipes the Rolling Pin from Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Down Tilt - Basketball Torso: Rayman dribbles his torso on the ground once as an attack from Rayman 2.

Dash Attack - Roll: A lesser known attack from Origins, Rayman does his roll attack.

Specials

Standard Special - Wind-Up Fist: Rayman winds up a punch from Origins.

Up Special - Rope: Similar to Ivysaur which puts a rope on the ledge to climb up. (From Rayman Legends)

Side Special - Plunger Gun: Rayman shoots the Plunger Gun from Raving Rabbids.

Down Special - Walking Shell: Rayman gets on a Walking Shell which boosts his speed, explodes on collision but damages Rayman. (Rayman just throws it in mid-air.)

Aerials (Murphy)

Nair - Murphy Spin: Murphy comes out and spins around Rayman to attack.

Fair - Murphy Smack: Murphy leaps out and smacks in front of Rayman.

Bair - Murphy Punch: Murphy jumps from behind and does a quick Punch.

Dair - Murphy Chomp: Murphy pops out from below and chomps below Rayman. (No Meteor Smash)

Uair - Murphy’s Magic: Murphy comes out from above and pushes opponents away. (Nearly identical to Game & Watch’s Uair.)

Smash Attacks (Rayman 3)

Side Smash - Lockjaw: Rayman swings the Lockjaw once. (Similar to Zero Suit Samus.)

Up Smash - Throttle Copter: Rayman spins the Throttle Copter. (Similar to Bowser Jr.)

Down Smash - Heavy Metal Fist: Rayman slams the Heavy Metal Fist(s) on the ground. (Similar to DK.)

Final Smash - Raving Rabbids: A cage of crazy rabbids comes down from the top of screen as Murphy cuts the rope holding the cage, the cage falls down to the stage and releases a swarm of Rabbids to pummel other players.

Taunts
Up Taunt - Rayman throws an Energy Shot in the air and catches it.

Side Taunt - Rayman takes out his Ukelele and plays the first part of the Sea of Serendipity World Map theme.

Down Taunt - Rayman opens his mouth with his hands and flails his tongue.

0/10 to much Rabbids. :p

No, I like it, it's clever but I don't think his punches should be regulated to his specials, there is allot of things he could get off of his games that would better fit them.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
You should probably check that section then.

My apologies if I came off a bit too blunt.
Thank you very much, I feel like adding little images with my sprites to the moveset like the others later.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383

So I did some things.

Your mains? I like it, especially the companies names at the bottom!:grin:
Don't know why I haven't posted here yet, but sign me up for the supporters anytime guys, been lurking around here for way too long. Did my best on the mega smash poll too, mostly for the ray lad.

I'm feeling confident for rayman because of this community alone, you dudes seem super dedicated and friendly at the same time!
Welcome aboard, mate!:b:

Supporter 150! Should we give this man a prize?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Okay and I just finished this up after this whole moveset fiasco.

louie g

Smash Journeyman

Your mains? I like it, especially the companies names at the bottom!:grin:

Welcome aboard, mate!:b:

Supporter 150! Should we give this man a prize?
Being apart of the supporters is a good enough prize for me, pal!

I really didn't intend to be the 150th either, thought I'd slip in all quiet like too, me and my timing man.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Off-topic from Rayman, but I think a way they could of fix that while keeping the move is to have Pac-Man startled by ghost that pops up. Like how Duck Hunt acts with his Smash attacks.
Okay and I just finished this up after this whole moveset fiasco.
Despite having the same problem as the Rayman trophy with being made with one angle in mind. I really love Globox's model, it looks like someone took the Legends sprite, waved a magic wand, and made it into a 3-D model.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Off-topic from Rayman, but I think a way they could of fix that while keeping the move is to have Pac-Man startled by ghost that pops up. Like how Duck Hunt acts with his Smash attacks.
I hate DHD, and they didn't even use the right laugh...

Also @ RedFly RedFly that moveset is...absurd I guess. A valid complaint is that for instance, Origins and Legends provide enough physical moves and your Dtilt idea is more fitting for a taunt, especially because Dtilts have the characters crouch down, while the energy sphere is from arguably his most popular game, it's like if, say Link's moves were only based on what he does in the Zelda games before he gets his sword

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I hate DHD, and they didn't even use the right laugh...

Also @ RedFly RedFly that moveset is...absurd I guess. A valid complaint is that for instance, Origins and Legends provide enough physical moves and your Dtilt idea is more fitting for a taunt, especially because Dtilts have the characters crouch down, while the energy sphere is from arguably his most popular game, it's like if, say Link's moves were only based on what he does in the Zelda games before he gets his sword
Link is one of Nintendo's biggest characters.
Link isn't third party.
And about the Dair comment:

When you said that since something is from his most popular game then it is more deserving to an attack:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Moveset arguments yay!
Accurate Portrayals is a load of Skag Crap as seen by Villager, Ganondorf, Wii fit Trainer, Shulk and several stages including Pyrosphere and Gaur Plain.
The fact that Sakurai quotes "Accurate portrayals" is why the mentioned are criticised. Ganondorf lacks his smugness and fear factor because he runs like an old fart, Villager was never a murderer, Wii Fit Trainer wasn't in Dark Souls and Shulk's Monado Arts. He only has 3 of the 5 in Smash Bros in Xenoblade and 1 of them (Buster) is completely wrong (Buster is a massive Slash with the Monado. Not an aura effect that boosts damage. That was Enchant (granted against Mechon but still)). Bear in mind I'm just talking movesets. I can add in personalities as well. I could write a paragraph on how Ridley's representation is a load of rubbish and how Gaur Plain is rather inaccurate.

Accurate portrayals are preferred and if you use that as a philosophy then stick to it.

Energy Sphere being a Taunt would be Ganondorf's Sword all over again. If he has it why doesn't he use it? Because "**** you" That's why.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Link is one of Nintendo's biggest characters.
Link isn't third party.
And about the Dair comment:

When you said that since something is from his most popular game then it is more deserving to an attack:

I used Link as an example
G&W takes inspiration from many of his games,this being Manhole iirc
Weed pulling is a pretty important thing in Animal Crossing
Those two duck and stand up again afterwards
Wario is more WarioWare based and is the 2nd most relevant character to inaccuracies, Ganon being first and Pac-man possibly third, not to mention his taunts and other moves are basically a tribute
All this character used to do is crawl around, sniff out ducks and laugh, the only accurate thing is the laugh, oh wait, it isn't

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Accurate movesets would be dull as hell and offer nothing new or exciting to the roster.

*Phases away into the aether*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Accurate movesets would be dull as hell and offer nothing new or exciting to the roster.

*Phases away into the aether*
Mega Man would like to disagree, it's not a matter of how accurate a moveset is but more unique, made up movesets aren't bad all of the time, Captain Falcon is easily the best example, it depends on who has the accurate moveset and what's made up

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mega Man would like to disagree, it's not a matter of how accurate a moveset is but more unique, made up movesets aren't bad all of the time, Captain Falcon is easily the best example, it depends on who has the accurate moveset and what's made up
I'm specifically criticising the notion movesets have to be accurate on principle.

There are always exceptions.

But there are even more examples where thinking outside the box works.

For every Mega Man or Marth, there's a Captain Falcon or Duck Hunt.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Hey guys, I am trying to make victory screens for Rayman in the 3DS Version but I sadly do not have a capture card and I am banned from Miiverse so I can't upload a screenshot of the victory screen with the text "RAYMAN".

To anybody out there who isn't banned from Miiverse and has Smash 3DS, could you make a Mii Fighter and call it "RAYMAN" and post a screenshot of it winning a match?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm specifically criticising the notion movesets have to be accurate on principle.

I get it now! My problem about it was that the dribble was exclusively in a Game Over screen iirc and Murphy being all the aerials, it's a bit like how Pac-Man only kicks in his aerials. I will say that I like the Smash Attacks, that is a bit out of the box, especially UpSmash which I'd make a Tornado Punch spiralling upwards instead personally

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I get it now! My problem about it was that the dribble was exclusively in a Game Over screen iirc and Murphy being all the aerials, it's a bit like how Pac-Man only kicks in his aerials. I will say that I like the Smash Attacks, that is a bit out of the box, especially UpSmash which I'd make a Tornado Punch spiralling upwards instead personally
Oh, I wasn't even referring to the moveset. My knowledge of Rayman is so limited that I wouldn't be able to offer any worthwhile feedback, y'know?

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord

There are different levels of "made up" though.

Basically nothing from Captain Falcon's moveset in Smash comes from source material, because in F-Zero games he's always driving a car and there's little to take from those games to create a moveset in Smash. The only thing Captain Falcon uses from the source game is his Final Smash, with his famous Blue Falcon.

Because Duck Hunt dog does little in the original Duck Hunt game, Sakurai obviously had to give him moves he doesn't use in the original game to make him a viable fighter. However, contrary to Captain Falcon whose entire moveset was created from scratch, he still took inspiration from source material for his moveset, and looked at all the zapper games to take inspiration from, in order to diversify DHD's moveset and make him represent the entire Zapper series rather than just his game. Neutral special (Hoogan's Alley), side special (Duck Hunt), down special (Wild Gunman) and Smashes (fourth wall NES Zapper shots) all take inspiration from the source material. Besides these, I admit all of his moves are completely made up.

Moves made up from scratch I think are okay as long as they show some creativity and put emphasis on the character's characterization (like Captain Falcon being a flashy brawler with fire-boosted physical strength and Duck Hunt being a Tex Avery cartoon tag team). I think the best example of move being completely made from scratch instead of directly coming from the source game is Bowser Jr.'s up special: it doesn't come from any source game, but it puts emphasis on his Clown Car mechanic.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There are different levels of "made up" though.

Basically nothing from Captain Falcon's moveset in Smash comes from source material, because in F-Zero games he's always driving a car and there's little to take from those games to create a moveset in Smash. The only thing Captain Falcon uses from the source game is his Final Smash, with his famous Blue Falcon.

Because Duck Hunt dog does little in the original Duck Hunt game, Sakurai obviously had to give him moves he doesn't use in the original game to make him a viable fighter. However, contrary to Captain Falcon whose entire moveset was created from scratch, he still took inspiration from source material for his moveset, and looked at all the zapper games to take inspiration from, in order to diversify his moveset and make DHD represent the entire Zapper series rather than just his game. Neutral special (Hoogan's Alley), side special (Duck Hunt), down special (Wild Gunman) and Smashes (fourth wall NES Zapper shots) all take inspiration from the source material. Besides these, I admit all of his moves are completely made up.

Moves made up from scratch I think are okay as long as they show some creativity and put emphasis on the characte's characterization (like Captain Falcon being a flashy brawler with fire-boosted physical strength and Duck Hunt being a Tex Avery cartoon tag team). I think the best example of move being completely made from scratch instead of directly coming from the source game is Bowser Jr.'s up special: it doesn't come from any source game, but it puts emphasis on his Clown Car mechanic.
Exactly. Hence my statement (admittedly playing devil's advocate) that creating movesets that have to be absolutely accurate would leave very little room for leeway.

I'd rather Cap fight with his fists than drive around in a blue car, and Duck Hunt barking and biting would be a lot less interesting than launching exploding cans and breaking the fourth wall with the Zapper.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Have wanted Rayman ever since the leak drama. Don't know a lot about the series but was actually gonna consider maining him :'( Hopefully Nintendo sees how wanted he was.

Has anybody made a moveset with B attack involving the energy spheres from Rayman 2? Seems like it would fit well if it were similar to fox's pistol or the super scope - rapid fire with maybe a very little knockback.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Has anybody made a moveset with B attack involving the energy spheres from Rayman 2? Seems like it would fit well if it were similar to fox's pistol or the super scope - rapid fire with maybe a very little knockback.
That's actually brilliant. They even look like the Super Scope's shots, eheheh~

Rayman 2 was my first and favourite Rayman game, so I have a soft spot for the energy spheres~

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Fox's lasers have always felt a little bit off to me because they don't cause any kind of flinch, but I would totally use this as an annoying way to rack up the damage.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Hey guys, I am trying to make victory screens for Rayman in the 3DS Version but I sadly do not have a capture card and I am banned from Miiverse so I can't upload a screenshot of the victory screen with the text "RAYMAN".

To anybody out there who isn't banned from Miiverse and has Smash 3DS, could you make a Mii Fighter and call it "RAYMAN" and post a screenshot of it winning a match?
I don't own a New 3DS.:c

Moveset arguments yay!
Rayman's potential moveset > Every other character's moveset.

Also, are we even having this argument? Can we not face the fact that all characters have their own unique play style and move on?
Except Dark Pit, obviously.

Top Bottom