• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Ridley
Chance : 5%
Ain't that a shame ?

Want : 100%
Always !

And on this very brief note I'm going back to the shadows where I've been bidding my time, waiting for the next game, Ridley rating or who know, some kind of miracle where he somehow become DLC.

This dragon never stay down forever, he'll be back, someday, in this game or another.

I'll see you then, fellow Ridley & Smash fans.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ridley Chance:
0.0001%
Yeah, this will be the only time I will ever a percentage like this. I cannot feel positive on Ridley at all.

Sakurai has outright said specifically to Ridley that he cannot work as a playable character. This should be the nail in the coffin here no matter what positive supporting points Ridley has.

Even if he gains an overwhelming amount of support on the ballot, he's probably out of the radar for DLC candidates by Sakurai considering his stance on him for this game.

Even if there is a new Metroid game coming up, even if he got an appropriate redesign, even if it could make the fanbase go nuts if he's revealed, there is still Sakurai and his thoughts on accurate portrayal in Ridley's way.

And sure he can make the fans happy with Ridley, but there are a trillion other ways I can think of that can make people happy without making Ridley as a playable character.

And I want to make this clear, the difference between him changing his mind on Ridley and him changing his mind on characters like Villager is that people think he'll change his mind about accurate portrayal, not the types of characters that he declined. It's pretty likely Sakurai will not change his philosophy regarding accurate portrayal for this game, and as long as that philosophy stays, Ridley will not be a playable character.

In short, Ridley has the smallest chance out of all DLC candidates, even with the support points going in his favor, there's still accurate portrayal he has to deal with. The chances of him changing his mind on it is too minimal IMO.

Chorus Kids Prediction:
45.67% I'm going to bet that barely anyone will mention the newest game coming up at all, because that seems like something that would put CK at top priority.

Nominations:
x5 Young Link

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Chance: 0%

Wait for Smash 5 and hope either Sakurai isn't at the helm or Metroid as a series uses him in an altered way that makes him easier to translate into a fighter.

Want: 10%

I'm a big Metroid fan. I feel like Ridley as a boss encompasses him in the series pretty well and there isn't much he's done that I want to see in a fighter that I don't already get in :4charizard: and :4metaknight:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Ridley:

Chance: 2%

Want: 60%

Nominations:
Concept Full Ken Alt x5

MainJPW

M.T.A
Ridley

Chance: 1%

Space Pirates Never Falter. Next game hopefully.

Want: 100%

Who wouldn't want this ferocious space dragon playable? don't answer that.

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Alt Costumes for Characters x3
Ninten x1
Viridi x1

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Ohhh boy, let me strap on my anti-flame helmet---

DAY 23 : RIDLEY
Chance : 5%
He's a stage boss but it's true that it would be great that Metroid have another rep' but as I don't know a lot about Metroid, I can't think of which could replace Ridley...So...Yeah.

Want : 0%
As I told in Chance, I don't know a lot about Ridley...And Metroid....

Prediction :
Chorus Kid : 14%

Nomination : Geno (Super Mario RPG) x5

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Ridley
Want: 5%
I honestly don't think Sakurai is gonna change his mind and Ridley doesn't really hold any interest with me as much as I love the metroid series.
Nom:
Black Mage x3
Phonix Wright x2

Last edited:

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Ridley
Chance: 3%
Not happening right now. Maybe next installment if Sakurai is no longer in charge or he drastically changes his mind

Want: 85%
Metroid deserves another rep and Ridley deserves to be in

Chorus Kids Prediction: 26%

Nominations: N x5

Asian_Charizard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-4223-6174
Ridley:

Chance: 10%

The only reason I've rated this high is because Ridley's fanbase is huge! (kinda like himself.....)

I don't really have an attachment to him, since I haven't played a Metriod game before.

Nominations:
Ryu x5

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Ridley:

Chance
As DLC? : 0%
In the next hypothetical game? 10%

Want? 0%

I don't know who I dislike more, Ridley or Rool, unfortunatly I've almost always seem the "loud bad" side of the Ridley fandom, this exists in everything ever, and unfortunatly that side of the Ridley fans has actually put me off Ridley even outside of Smash.

Nomations:

Pfff I dunno, Medli+Makar x5?

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Ridley:

Chance: 50%

Really up in the air. Highly requested character. Nintendo knows this and Sakurai knows this. Ridley is doing fairly well in the polls as well. I feel his only competition is the likes of other suitable villain reps, like K Rool.

And before some goes...."But Sakurai said too big.!!.11!!....."......honestly it doesn't matter what Sakurai says anymore, since most of the things he says "wont happen" ends up happening.

Want: 20%

Chorus Kids: 66%

Nominate: Ryu x 5

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Sorry Ridley.

Chance: 10%

I am still pretty open about this because Ridley is the boss which has been worked on the most. He can be knocked out, he has multiple attacks, he is a basically a pseudo-fighter. But then due to which Sakurai has stated his chances are abysmal.

Want: 50%

I was really never on the RIdley train but I wouldn't mind him much. He is an iconic villain from Metroid and I feel bad for his fans.

Chorus Climbers Men: 5%

Either the Ice Climbers will be in or they will not. Chorus Men will only come later and I doubt they will considering the limitations on Ice Climbers.

Nominations:
Phoenix Wright x 5

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You know, I'm actually surprised Ridley is actually excelling in Want percentages. I guess there's one thing to be grateful for. Sigh...

RIDLEY - Stubborn Space Pirate!

CHANCE: 2.5%

And that's just being generous. Ridley definitely got crewed over big time last year. If him getting stuck with being a stage hazard wasn't enough (something that would've been nice to know a long while ago), Sakurai himself just had to speak about his reasoning behind... his exclusion... geez.

Look, I won't get into the mumbo jumbo that excuses his playable absence. All that matters is that he has a notable non playable role in the game, and Sakurai isn't interested in including him for whatever reason. Could be size, could be laziness, that's besides the point. He just doesn't want to add Ridley as a playable fighter, as he's concerned at how he might turn out like.

That being said, Ridley isn't done just yet. Like in his Metroid appearance, this dragon is hard to put done, and he'll cheat death as many times as he can to reach his goals (or in this case, rely on as many loopholes as possible). I mean, for one, Sakurai might change his mind. He might realize that he is supremely requested, and that his fans are far more dedicated than what he imagined, and give it a second thought. Or, simply put, Sakurai may not be in charge of who is added for DLC based on the Ballots. Nintendo in general might be the one supervising that, and tell Sakurai to add in those characters even to his dismay, or something. I don't know how this works, but neither do you.

And hey, technically speaking he isn't a stage hazard. His clone for Other M is. So maybe he can make a playable appearance as Super Metroid Ridley while his Other M clone stays a stage hazard. I mean, they're physically different enough for anyone to mind, so what gives?

I dunno. At this point, his only hope are these convoluted mass guesses, that may as well be just strawgrasping.

WANT - 101%

Honestly, Ridley should be the absolute most perfect candidate for Smash Bros. I mean, for starters, he's the main antagonist of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, and he's overall one of Nintendo's most recognizable, and darkest, villains. That alone should warrant a free pass. Next, he's both a villain and a Metroid character, both categories are heavily scarce in Smash Bros, specially in Smash 4, and something most fans want corrected (I mean, fellow reptilian foe K. Rool fit similar roles, and he's the most requested characters in the Ballots!). And lastly, he's freaking Ridley! Have you seen this dude? He's a purple space pirate skeleton dragon! He can fly, spit fire, grind and slam you against the ground and use his tail as a freaking pogo stick!! How would no one find that awesome?? I tell you, casual players would play the crap out of him, he'd make lots of money! It's brilliant!

And besides, no matter how much of a saint you are, you too would be beyond satisfied to see everyone who wronged you get wronged back. Specially after so, many, bloody years of this stupid charade. Seriously, it's no longer them being annoying. It's it's become them being mean-spirited.

So yeah, I just wanted to drop that there.

I nominate Lip x5 again.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Ridley is a Dinosaur from Our Imagination: Ridley Chances
Chance: 3%
I have very little to say on the subject. I gave Ice Climbers 0% because technical limitations were holding him back. Here, we have Sakurai being stubborn. If the poll result comes out overwhelmingly in favour of Ridley, then his hand might be forced. But that's unlikely, so 3% is what I give his chances.

Want: 10%
Oh yeah give me more lizard villains in Smash that's totally what people like apparently. Not a DLC I would buy.

Chorus Kid Chances: 22.141591725%
Despite the speculated leak of data suggesting some Rhythm Heaven character as playable, I'm not really feeling as though they've got a good rhythm going.

Nominating Layton x 5 because dammit Wolf Link supporters don't leapfrog me now my pet project is nearing completion.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Ridley...
Chance: 2%
Yeah we have reasons from Sakurai, so I don't see it.

I would've been fine with him this time a year ago. But since then I've seen some of the more... extreme fans? Anyways, they just ruined Ridley for me, I no longer see him as a "cool dragon-bird thing."

Chorus Kids chance: 32% if it's the 3 kids together, 74% if it's just 1/Marshal.

Vote: Another 5 to Lana.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Ridley
Chances: 1%
Never thought I'd rate a character so low, but yeah, Sakuari pretty much stated his case on Ridley. He is just a stage hazard nothing more, nothing less. Just a stage hazard.

I was never big on Ridley. If he were to be playable then it would've been fine, because then everyone who wanted him would be happy and the arguments over Ridley would finally cease. But alas, Sakuari made his fate on Ridley in the 50 Fact Extravaganza that Ridley would just be a boss that would fight with or against you.

Chorus Kids Predictions: 10%
Well they were apperently planned so it's something. Though I think they are in the same predicament as the Ice Climbers. 3DS Limitations. I've seen a couple of moveset ideas for the Chorus Men I think they could've been pretty interesting. Since Sakuari has the time maybe he could try and revive the Ice Climbers and the Chorus Kids.

Nominations: Ryu x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Ridley. The character people never give up on for whatever reason.
Chance: 0%
Sakurai might as well hold up a neon sign that read "Ridley won't be playable." And people would still beg for him. That's... sorta what he did. He said that Ridley is too big and stuff, and that sizing him down to a playable size wouldn't make him feel like Ridley. I don't know what more evidence you want that he won't be playable.

Want: 0%
Ridley should stay as a boss character. He's still too big, and i just don't want him in Smash. In fact, I hope he never becomes playable.

Chorus Kids Prediction: 18.53%

Nominations:
9-Volt x5 (Does no one care about 9-Volt?)

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ridley

Ridley is one of my most wanted characters. But he's already in the game. On the other hand, playable Ridley doesn't have to have the same appearance and technically the Ridley in The Other M is not the same Ridley as the one(s) that appear in any other Metroid game. But Pyrosphere is undeniably a huge problem for Ridley. Maybe the biggest problem.

Ridley is quite popular in the West, but it also seems that given the pessimism towards his chances + the fact that you're supposed to only make one vote (which you could use on a character with an easier time getting in) means he's probably underperforming. But I'm sure Nintendo knows about his pre-ballot popularity.

Then there are the issues that Sakurai sees with his design. I think they can be overcome - other flying characters don't fly freely, and other large characters are smaller. I'm not one of those Ridley fans, though, that think these present no problems. A heavyweight character who is highly aerial could be hard to balance (so hard to KO), so he might be like Charizard and have multiple jumps but somehow weaker recovery than many with only the standard two jumps. And yes, designing him to be smaller but maintaining his shape could look odd. I think they can do it, but it would require a thoughtful design.

Metroid also has gotten less love, so they know its fans would be hungry for another character. I'm sure he would sell a lot of downloads. If we see a new Metroid game announced, certainly there would be even more motivation... and we don't know what Retro is working on at the moment (I hope we find out what they're doing at E3).

Ridley chances: 7%
Ultimately, the biggest points in his favor are his Western popularity and the Metroid series' popularity. The potential for promoting a new Metroid game is there, but not a big factor since we don't really know what's going on with the series. Pyrosphere and his design complications are pretty big problems though.
Ridley want: 97%
Yes, please. I'm a lot more optimistic for him in Smash 5 though. Perhaps the ballot will convince Sakurai (or his successor, if that's the case) to make it work.

Note: No size puns were intended.

Chorus Kids prediction: 27%
Seems to be a popular number for characters this time around.

Nominations:
5x Simon Belmont

And a couple of notes about certain types of arguments... I'm not trying to reopen a debate about Roy specifically, just talking about certain arguments that were criticized. These arguments can easily apply to other characters, not just Roy.
1. "Slots" - Obviously, disliking a character because they're assumed to be taking a slot from, say, Wolf has little basis (unless that character is Krystal, in which case it's somewhat plausible). It is true, however, that there are limited resources, and so if, like me, you would prefer most of the other likely/popular characters over Roy, then yes, I have a reason to think his inclusion means I'm not getting something I would like better. That's not bizarre reasoning.
2. "Reps" - The fact is that despite the protestations by some that sales don't matter... there is a strong correlation between the sales of a series and how many reps it gets. That's not based on my impressions or my desires, it's based on actually doing the statistics. So there certainly is reason to believe that it has an influence on roster decisions by Nintendo. Of course, it's not the only factor. If it were, it would be a near 100% correlation, and it's definitely not. And there's good reason to believe that DLC will not follow the same pattern, because we know explicitly that the Smash Ballot will be a major factor (but again... it's not the only factor). So it will probably be a little less important due to the ballot. But there is real justification for considering it in your reasoning about chance scores. So quit complaining about people who consider it, unless they use it as a total explanation.

What exactly is wrong with thinking that Zelda is more important than FE or another smaller series? It simply is. Similar notes about sales/popularity/influence/critical acclaim/importance apply to different extents for some of the other series out that were neglected in Smash 4. And what's wrong saying it is thus deserving of more attention in Smash than those other series?

FE fans saying that, basically, no series really "deserves" any more attention than another is just obviously self-serving reasoning, imo. Admit that you're lucky and Sakurai favors FE at least somewhat, and I would be less annoyed. But you want to pretend that fans of other series have no reason to be irritated instead and tell them their feelings are invalid. Other people don't like your favorite series as much as you do. Other people are going to give more Fire Emblem characters low want ratings simply because they're tired of Fire Emblem getting so much attention. Get over it.

Just be glad you're not the Dark Pit fans.
3. I certainly agree with criticizing people who dislike Roy and let that influence their interpretation of the evidence. I'm surprised his chance rating was lower than Wolf's, and I prefer Wolf to Roy by a very large margin. I wonder if they'll apply the same reasoning to Ryu.
I don't think I agree with the "perfect attendance 8 (or 12)" thing. Most of those series are inactive or done.
The only one that could reasonably apply to is Metroid, and just because it's gone 5 years without a new game doesn't mean it's "done" (see: Star Fox going without an original new game since 2006). The others all have had new games in 2014 or 2015 and/or have new games in development. In other words... your statement is wildly incorrect.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Had to use bold text due to his flavor text color. Just highlight it for better viewing pleasure, along with a TTS program if possible.

Character Chance Ratings

1: Roy - 97.7%
2: Wolf - 97.5%
3: Rayman - 60%
4: Snake - 55%
5: Inkling - 50%
6: Sceptile - 45%
6: Krystal - 45%
7: Paper Mario: 44.5%

8: Dixie Kong - 43%
9: Wonder Red - 40%
10: Impa - 40.5%
11: Ice Climbers - 30%
11: Captain Toad - 30%
12: Henry Fleming - 25.7%

13: Quote - 21.5%
14: Shovel Knight - 20%
15: Shantae - 20.5%
16: Ridley - 5.5%

Character Want Ratings

1: Shovel Knight - 100%
1: Wolf - 100%
2: Sceptile - 90.5%
3: Shantae - 87%
4: Wonder Red - 86.5%

5: Snake - 85%
5: Impa - 85%
6: Ice Climbers - 80%

7: Paper Mario: 60%
8: Ridley - 50%
9: Inkling - 30%
10: Henry Fleming - 30.5%

11: Rayman - 25%
12: Quote - 23%

13: Krystal - 20%
13: Dixie Kong - 20%
14: Roy - 10.5%

15: Captain Toad: 5.5%

Concept Chance Ratings

1: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 65.7%

Concept Want Ratings

1: Any NPC Becomes Playable - 50.5%

Abstains (Inactivity)

King K. Rool
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Bandana Dee

Abtsains (Indifference)

n/A
RATINGS

Ridley

Chance - 5.5%: Really, do I really have to get into specifics with Ridley? He's the only character we have insurmountable evidence showing that Sakurai doesn't think developing him into a playable character would be worth it. Maybe he even straight-up hates him!

Ridley perhaps endures through one of the biggest conundrums in the Smash Bros. series, time and time again. It must really suck for his huge fanbase that getting him playable in Smash seems more bleak than it would take to cure cancer, end world hunger, and bring peace to the Middle East! There have been some remarkable discussions, debates, and flame wars that have taken place since Brawl. All of it makes very strong cases for and against Ridley. But it all withers away when you realize that there's one big obstacle making Ridley's chances obdurate: Masahiro Sakurai.

Sakurai has gone on record saying that he could probably make Ridley playable, but it wouldn't feel like Ridley due to his awkward proportions, large scale, and flight capabilities. Proposed design decisions that would limit his savage character are the obvious scale down (maybe even to puny levels) and limiting or even cutting his jumping abilities by shrinking his wings. Perhaps his role as a stage boss in Pyrosphere is the closest we'll ever get to seeing him playable. There are already some required animations for all playable characters incorporated into his attacks and functions. He even conforms to fighter knockback properties! And a stock icon to cement this in further!? Godsdamnit! Perhaps all of this indicates he was attempted to be fully developed into a playable character, only to be relegated to a boss role once again in order to not get a truncated version of him.

While I'm at it, I'll say that Sakurai's "tease" with Ridley in the Smash Direct was unnecessary. No matter how many game design reasons dictate incomplete assets from not being shown in fulity. You're better off cutting out that entire scene from the presentation in that case. This put us fans into a false gambit that had a, for many, was a disappointing payoff. I mean, the Smash Direct outright reveals that he was a stage boss! What a buzzkill!

BaganSmashBros's Ridley mod for Project M is the best realization of the character I've seen thus far (unlike that lame Brawl mod) and Relax Alax's video on the subject of Ridley does a great job debunking common detractors. My vision of Ridley would obivously make him the largest Smash character possible, scaled down perhaps an inch off from clashing with most platforms. Maybe his size could be relative to that of Sentinel or Nemesis in (Ultimate) Mavrel vs. Capcom 3, making him the 'giant' character that dwarfs just about everyone else. His attacks could reflect this by having extremely long cooldowns and focus on landing very area-focused hitboxes (his tail spine, claws, etc.) that deal immense knockback and damage. Perhaps give him an extremely large, singular jump alone or with greatly weakened flutters to help him gain on opponents after.

Overall, a high-risk high-reward character that focuses on landing very concise, sharp hits carefully for greatest effect in compensation for his immense size. And if there's any problem with special animations from other fighters (G&W's Ball throws, Kirby's Inhale, etc.) just shrink him down and crumble his body to a feasible size. These already look silly enough when performed on Bowser or Ganondorf.

Looks like the best hope Ridley has beyond his already great, if regional fan demand, is the prospect of getting a new director for Smash 5. Sakurai has sacrificed his physical and mental well-being developing Smash 4, so it astounds me he's cutting a potential vacation/hiatus just to develop more DLC for who knows how long. In an interview shortly after Smash Wii U's release, Sakurai has stated that he doesn't think he can develop the games past this point, after all he's provided us for over 16 years. He's taken us for a ride. Sometimes even steering us in some very questionable directions. It's clear he wants AND needs to hand over the torch to a new director. He has chosen to stagger his creativity for us, when it's probably needed elsewhere. Maybe he'll produce more Kid Icarus games or even make more awesome franchises.

This director should have new ideas to bring Smash in a fresh direction whilst keeping all necessary safeguards Sakurai's instated to keep Smash's integrity intact. I can see it necessary for Sakurai to have some sort of supervisor role to ensure the game looks great without him in the driver's seat. Just as long as he doesn't end up hijacking the project. And we'll know damn well if he were to do that.

Want - 50%:
I never really put any stock into the Ridley debate (well, maybe until now.) I saw it as a pointless gamble to get myself fed up over. There are many more characters that would take less effort and be just as cool getting into the game. I wouldn't care if Ridley got in or was denied.

If he was put in Smash, I'd probably end up liking him. He provides a savage, bestial character that Smash lacks and his moves would be pretty unique. I just wouldn't want them giving him to us if it meant we get some watered-down pipsqueak.

PREDICTION

Chorus Kids

Chance - 21.75%
Want - 43.56%

NOMINATIONS

*Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x3

Galacta Knight x1
Anna x1

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
1. "Slots" - Obviously, disliking a character because they're assumed to be taking a slot from, say, Wolf has little basis (unless that character is Krystal, in which case it's somewhat plausible). It is true, however, that there are limited resources, and so if, like me, you would prefer most of the other likely/popular characters over Roy, then yes, I have a reason to think his inclusion means I'm not getting something I would like better. That's not bizarre reasoning.
You're looking at it the wrong way. Sure, there'll probably be a point eventually where the dev team goes "Okay, I think we've done enough." However, they won't designate a certain number of "slots" ahead of time and refuse to deviate from it, and they definitely won't stick two characters in a situation where only one or the other, and never both, can make it. Based on everything we know and have heard from them, that isn't how they operate.

If Roy ends up being a full character, I'll be concerned for the precedent it sets of making seniority a bigger factor than anything else...but I see no reason to believe he'd "steal a slot" from a different character. It doesn't work that way.

2. "Reps" - The fact is that despite the protestations by some that sales don't matter... there is a strong correlation between the sales of a series and how many reps it gets. That's not based on my impressions or my desires, it's based on actually doing the statistics. So there certainly is reason to believe that it has an influence on roster decisions by Nintendo. Of course, it's not the only factor. If it were, it would be a near 100% correlation, and it's definitely not. And there's good reason to believe that DLC will not follow the same pattern, because we know explicitly that the Smash Ballot will be a major factor (but again... it's not the only factor). So it will probably be a little less important due to the ballot. But there is real justification for considering it in your reasoning about chance scores. So quit complaining about people who consider it, unless they use it as a total explanation.

What exactly is wrong with thinking that Zelda is more important than FE or another smaller series? It simply is. Similar notes about sales/popularity/influence/critical acclaim/importance apply to different extents for some of the other series out that were neglected in Smash 4. And what's wrong saying it is thus deserving of more attention in Smash than those other series?

FE fans saying that, basically, no series really "deserves" any more attention than another is just obviously self-serving reasoning, imo. Admit that you're lucky and Sakurai favors FE at least somewhat, and I would be less annoyed. But you want to pretend that fans of other series have no reason to be irritated instead and tell them their feelings are invalid. Other people don't like your favorite series as much as you do. Other people are going to give more Fire Emblem characters low want ratings simply because they're tired of Fire Emblem getting so much attention. Get over it.

Just be glad you're not the Dark Pit fans.
So much...misdirected anger. I won't claim a series you like is less important than one you aren't as big a fan of. Anyone who sees this as some *ahem* sword-measuring contest between Nintendo's series, about how many "reps" they "deserve" to have, is completely off base with what we know of how the developers operate.

For all that gets passed around on "reps" and "roster slots" and whether a character "deserves" to be in Smash...it's mostly hearsay. I'm sure the dev team thinks about it a little, but when it comes to deciding which characters to work on, there are other factors they care more about. They care about whether a character can bring something new and fresh to an increasingly crowded roster. They care about what potential said character has for a moveset that feels unique, inspired, and still true to who that character is. They did care before about if said character had any important roles recently, but with the Smash Ballot, relevance may not matter any more.

Those first two are key, because they're the exact given reasons why they decided at the beginning of the project that they'd add Robin and not Chrom.

We might end up seeing some lopsided representation--I could see up to two characters from Star Fox, Donkey Kong, and even Pokémon because of how many compelling options they have--but when those characters could feel like a breath of fresh air, I don't really mind having that over dealing with characters that might feel forced or unlike themselves, put in solely for franchise lip service.

And for what it's worth, the vast majority of Roy's support base is non-Fire Emblem fans. The FE fans themselves are generally going "eh, I think we have enough for now" or putting fringe support in self-admitted longshot characters like Anna or Tiki.

3. I certainly agree with criticizing people who dislike Roy and let that influence their interpretation of the evidence. I'm surprised his chance rating was lower than Wolf's, and I prefer Wolf to Roy by a very large margin. I wonder if they'll apply the same reasoning to Ryu.
For what it's worth, Ryu doesn't bring the chance of actually being an alt for someone. Although I have a theory of my own, one that I haven't seen anyone think of before...

I'll explain when his day comes.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

What a sad turn of events, from the most popular character that many backed and expected to see, to one that many see as impossible.

Ridley
Chances: 1%
I highly doubt he'll be DLC. As of now, he's been put into the game as a boss and since we don't know the situation behind NPCs, he very well may be stuck there, especially considering how integrated he is into the stage. What makes this worse is that Sakurai himself has spoken out against the character as he doesn't believe that he can feasibly make him work, and because of that he's been placed into that boss role and probably will continue to be in that role. This also had the negative effect of really hurting his popularity as many fans were disillusioned and lost faith in the character, so they don't show their support as much in the ballot. These issues combined make me feel that Ridley is unfortunately not going to happen in terms of DLC. Maybe in a future Smash that will change, but in terms of this game, it's probably not in the cards.

Want: 100%
Nothing has changed in terms of my love for the xenomorph dragon. He's still one of my favorite bosses and one of the characters I support the most. His potential for a moveset has also added to that as he has a lot of options to really be a fun and enjoyable character and it'd be great to have him finally become playable. It's something I've been wanting since Brawl and I do hope it will come to pass one day.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Ridley
Chance: 1.6%
The man in charge has already come forward with his reasoning for not making Ridley playable, which is way more than most non playable characters get. Something tells me he's not going to change his mind, at least for this iteration of Smash. I'll give the purple space dragon a score of 1.6%.
Sakurai seems pretty set in his ways...

Want: 4.2%
I'll just say that despite being a Metroid fan, Ridley doesn't really appeal to me as being a playable fighter.

Prediction - Chorus Men/Kids: 19.7%

Nominations:
x4 Toon Zelda
x1 Tetra

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
RIDLEY

Chance: 0.1%
Long story short, popularity isn't the issue, it's the presentation. Or, at least within Sakurai's mindset it is, and there is no more important factor to consider than the director himself. Nevermind the considerable downgrade in vocal support for the space dragon anyways, not even a noticeable placement on the ballot will change anything as long as Sakurai maintains his position.

To cut to the jugular, I think Ridley ballot votes are unfortunately throw-away. It pains me to say, but if long-lasting popularity topping several polls for over a decade isn't enough, then what is? The type of wishful thinking in the magical unicorn of a new director? Sakurai himself acknowledged the large following, and it still resulted in a non-playable role. Why should that change now? At least with ballot votes thrown to maybe-someday-hopefuls Rayman and Banjo (if you are to argue about "wasted" votes), the development team could pull off a Mega Man in the next Smash and put them in based on previous popularity, even if they're supposedly non-contenders now. Ridley had multiple chances to become playable through high popularity, yet he was still excluded for unrelated reasons.

If you want to support Metroid's most well-known antagonist, then by all means do so, even in the face of adversity. Just don't expect the votes to matter.

Want: 45%

I just don't care anymore.

To each and every Ridley supporter who, even this this day, stills maintains their strong enthusiasm for the boss character (despite what Sakurai has said), I applaud you all. To stand one's ground even when riddled with bullets is a remarkable feat.

But I'm just burned out. All these inflammable arguments about such an oil-soaked character, it just left me completely burned out. Even with the Smash community's poisonously toxic environment, Ridley was/is easily the speculation scene's most incendiary subject matter; Smash's CP-0, nothing good ever comes of it. The constant bickering on a daily basis, the delusional high-level expectation, the tear-licking obsession of detractors, the tinfoil conspiracy theories of supporters, the dirty mud-slinging of insults thrown at one another (and in the Ridley support thread's case, even at each other after the April Direct debacle), we were like bloody animals tearing ourselves apart over a video-game character. Ridley was the rock bottom of speculation, even when compared to the low-points of Gematsu and the ESRB leaks. It was a disgustingly ugly nadir.

It's a damn shame, since Ridley was once one of my most-wanted newcomers from one of my favorite Nintendo series. It would be bittersweet to have a playable Ridley, no doubt, but I fear it will taste slightly more bitter than sweet.

Chorus Kids Projection:
Abstain

Nominations:

Bomberman x3
Frogger x 1
*Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x1

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Ridley

Chance: 0-1%

I want him in but I'm convinced he is done for. Sakurai made everything clear and the fanbase died down a bit for Ridley. He would be a really hard character to develop and I really doubt the ballot helps his chances. I don't think we will even see him in smash 5 unless there is another riot.

Want: 80%

I'm a huge Ridley fan and I am deeply saddened that his chances are dead. I know some people think Sakurai can size him down... but again, Sakurai was serious when he said Ridley wouldn't be ridley if small and weak.

Nominations: KOS-MOSX5 :estatic:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Too Big The Character also known as: Ridley

There's just a time when giving up the battle results in more gains than losses. That time for Ridley is now. Sakurai likely won't make him playable ever, and any new director simply wouldn't have the experience or even time to implement a character as Ridley in the series. I also doubt he'll be portraited differently in upcoming Metroid games, so it's basically a lose-lose situation. Let's just hope Ridley gets a kid or something, and Ridley Jr. becomes playable instead.

Want: 50%

I'm mostly interessted if Sakurai can pull this task of more than anything. I like Metroid a lot, don't get me wrong, but I still think that Ridley doesn't have too much of a disticnt personality in the games (manga is different though). Yes, he stole THE BABY. THE BABY, THE BABY, but what else really characterises him outside of Cruel Attacking Beast? Give him some damn lines already! 'I loved tearing through your parent's flesh, the fear in their eyes when they breathed their last breath still makes me shiver' ... Things like that. Untill then, not too interessted. Give me Charizard instead.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Little Birdy too damn good. I'd seriously play as it.
Honestly...

I would too.

If you can't have adult Ridley.

Might as well go for the baby.

Me and @GoldenYuiitusin even had a discussion where we made a moveset for him that focused on summoning monsters from the Metroid universe as that's his main thing in Other M.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly...

I would too.

If you can't have adult Ridley.

Might as well go for the baby.

Me and @GoldenYuiitusin even had a discussion where we made a moveset for him that focused on summoning monsters from the Metroid universe as that's his main thing in Other M.
And eating honey of course. That could maybe translate in him healing damage? Also a good way I guess to add in more drones from Metroid, as Space Pirates and the like. Which would basically translate in this:

Again, I'd play it. Want level increased with 50% instantly.

Oh god the insults.

"Lol ridley is too small"
"well you wanted ridley you got ridley"

I would hate having to go through another wave of insults like that ;_;
Also people want to gorget other m not smashify it

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And again, I don't see what would be wrong with Adolecent Ridley, aka Mystery Creature:

It's got the tail, it can breathe out all kinds of stuff, it can't fly however, but am sure this Ridley would be the best fitting Ridley for Smash Bros. And no, am not kidding.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And again, I don't see what would be wrong with Adolecent Ridley, aka Mystery Creature:

It's got the tail, it can breathe out all kinds of stuff, it can't fly however, but am sure this Ridley would be the best fitting Ridley for Smash Bros. And no, am not kidding.
If only the face didn't scream KIIIIiILLLLLL MEEEEE

And again, I don't see what would be wrong with Adolecent Ridley, .
what is "wrong" with him is that it would be silly to have a less unique less iconic form of a character that is only going to piss off multiple fanbases. Not to mention being in only 1 game so far that people hate. . .

Top Bottom