• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Ridley:
Chances: 5%
The biggest challenge Ridley has at the moment is Sakurai. He has stated his thoughts on Ridley, in that if Ridley was to be adjusted for a playable size, he just wouldn't 'be Ridley'. As stated by others, Ridley's only chances rest in either some miracle in which Sakurai changes his mind on Ridley, or waiting for the next game.

Wants: 75%
Ridley has always interested me - I was originally on the neutral playing field, but after seeing the potential I started supporting him and playing Metroid again with the Prime Trilogy on the Wii. After the 3DS version, that was a dark age of uncertainty, then the Extravaganza revealed him to be a boss.

It's a shame he couldn't be playable, and I'm willing to stand on the fence with Sakurai's statement, (I accept it, but I can also counter it) so I'm neutral for now, but it'd be insane if Ridley managed to make it in at the end as DLC. I'm not supportive of Ridley as much as I was back then, but if he did get promoted to playable status... I give a 100% chance the internet would explode.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Ridley... oh my
Chance: 0%
Want: 5%

Chorus Kids prediction: ...ugh... why.. just why.. come on guys.. 13%

Nominations: Ray (Custom Robo) x5

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Samus's Best Friend
Chance: 1%
Well, he's a boss (both meanings are intended :awesome:), and Sakurai believes that this role is the perfect niche for him. This pretty much means that his chances in Smash are nigh impossible. Yet, at the same time, I can't give him 0%. Why, you might ask? Well, Nintendo has the ability to change his mind. Though it hasn't been explicitly stated, it seems to me that Sakurai wanted to stop with Mewtwo for DLC, but something/someone, most likely Nintendo, made him continue working on Smash. So, assuming popularity is a significant factor in choosing DLC, if enough fans voted for him, the executives of Nintendo might pressure him to reconsider his decision. You would think, with that in mind, that I would give Ridley a higher rating than 1% then. However, at the same time, I don't believe that they would want to use DLC to alter a game element that was in the original version of Smash. Since Ridley is a stage boss, they might not want to remove him from his current role.
What if Sakurai knew that simply voicing his opinion on Ridley would not be enough? He must've known that the people at Nintendo would try to force him to change his mind for the fans, and so he made Ridley an element of the Pyrosphere. Because of this, he can justify his reluctance by stating that he doesn't want to alter what was coded in the original Smash 4. Somebody bring back Tupac and confirm the Illuminati. I just cracked the Sakurai code!
this is probably a load of Pokemon mulch.

Want: 90.5%
I sympathize with the nice Ridley fans. Their struggle is a real one.

Prediction:
Chorus Men
28%

Nominations:
Lil' Ridley :troll: [x5]
This is just a joke. Spyro and Ridley are pretty different characters. The only similarities they share is the fact that they're purple dragons.

Last edited:

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Ridley:
Chance 0%
Daddy Sakurai want's Ridley as a stage hazard... A stage hazard he shall stay.

Want: 0%
Captain falcon and Samus need to be forever alone, Its just the way it needs to be and always will be.

Chorus Kids prediction: 73.02%

Nomination:
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda) x3
Elma (Xenoblade) x2

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Ridley
Sakurai said it's not happening, sorry.

I'm sorry, but I'm really not up for Ridley to be the next Metroid rep, if there is one. I'd take Rundas, Ghor, Gandrayda, Sylux, hell, any of the Bounty Hunters from the prime series over Ridley.

Prediction: Chorus Kids: 23%

Nomination: Rundas x5

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
RIDLEY
Chance: 20%
- Okay. Let's go with the idea of NPCs being perfectly able to become playable. Ridley's chances are still low just because of how Sakurai views him. He's certainly not ignored, as his fans are just as vicious as Ridley himself is (Trust me, that's a compliment) and their outcries are heard. He was so important in fact that he had his own segment in the 50 Fact Extravaganza. Despite this, Sakurai still views him as too big for Smash Bros, hence his latest two incarnations being.. well.. big. With even more outcries and even more preassure from the Ridley Fanbase, he may just make it in as playable. But Sakurai's firm with his beliefs, despite him going back on his word at times.

Want: 100%
-
Yep. Ridley is one of the mere six characters that warrantsI remember back in my Melee days as a kid... watching that beautiful opening sequence and watching some armored guy (I was a kid) fighting some awesome dragon. I also remember looking at his trophy and wanting to play as him. When I saw him as a boss in Brawl, I thought his fight was pretty fun. When I saw him as a stage hazard... I thought that Sakurai was just desperate to avoid the trouble to make Ridley playable. Just look at Bagan's Project M mod... mod, and if you think that he's too big, then... wow.

Prediction: Chorus Kids - 70% Chance/60% Want
- Note, my prediction does not reflect my opinion

Nomination: Wolf Link/Shadow Wolf and Midna x5
- Werewolves are cool

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Chance- 85% cause nintendo heads will force Sakurai if ridley will bring the most green.

Want- 95%. Who doesn't want to play as a menacing, purple and evil space dragon who eats people?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
"Ridley is a dragon! Dragon, dragon anatomy dictates that they're all supposed to be freaking huge!"

Come on, we all know that Shokio would say this if he were to magically stop by this thread and rate his already diminished chances.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Thank goodness no flame wars have started out yet, I hope it stays so for today...
Ridley (Metroid)

Chance:1%
Poor, poor space pirate. You'll never get the love you deserve, will ya? With Masahiro Sakurai himself firmly believing that Ridley is going to be too big for a playable character, it seems that he'll be forever constricted to a role of a boss in the Smash universe. Not that Sakurai neglects him or anything, he's still given a pretty good role as a boss on his own when you compare it to other bosses like Yellow Devil, but he's probably never going to get the promotion.

Want:70%
I'm rather new to the Metroid franchise (Just finished Super Metroid in March, and Zero Mission in April) but I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. Metroid is a franchise that can have a bit more representation than two Samuses, and Ridley seems to be the only one who can fit that niche. Hopefully Sakurai can change his mind by Smash 5( or he just moves out of development and someone else takes over) and Ridley gets his place that he deserves so much. We'll see.

Predictions:
Chorus Kids 35%
People will bring up Gematsu, I know it.

Nominations:
Jibanyan (Youkai Watch) x5

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ridley:

Chance: 1%. Ridley is one of the only highly requested first-party characters that has it worse than the Assist Trophy in terms of chance (the other being Chrom); Sakurai has stated why he simply cannot make Ridley as a work as a fighter. He's pretty much completely damned Ridley in Smash Bros., as long as he's the director at least. Personally I think his reasoning, that "Ridley couldn't fly around freely" or that "he would be slow" is completely hypocritical of him, because in Smash 4, Ridley is quite slow and arguably doesn't fly around particularly freely.
Because of this, you could argue that Sakurai's statement on why Ridley can't work as a fighter is actually PR and he doesn't like like Ridley in general, which while I don't think is true...it definitely wouldn't help his chances.

I don't think any amount of fan demand is going to revive Ridley this time...Ridley was one of the most intensely supported characters for Smash 4 and he was still relegated to a Boss Character. Now, he has much less support, and even less VOCAL support, so unless Sakurai completely changes his mind and finds a suitable workaround for the boss and characters co-existing...Ridley is just not happening.

The Brawl mod for Ridley that's been released proves to me that Ridley can work as a fighter. And so I'm giving Ridley one percent in chance on the off chance that Sakurai sees the mod and does a complete turnaround and makes Ridley a fighter.

Want: 100%. I'm not a fan of Ridley, not in the slighest. But I am less a fan of the fact this awesome, significant, and beloved character is becoming little more to the Smash community than an inside joke; his Smash incarnations don't really faithfully recreate him either, and him getting in as a playable character would rectify both of these issues completely. On top of that I feel bad for all the people who've supported him over the years and would really like to see him on their behalf.

Plus if Ridley got in the ****ing internet would explode. And it's fun to watch the internet explode.

---
Prediction: Chorus Kids: 16%.
---

Nominations: Wolf Link and Midna x2, Jill Valentine x3

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
To compare with my other ratings. I'm of the opinion that Nintendo will milk the DLC hype train for as much cash as they can, and recent events have only strengthened that notion. As such, I expect plenty of DLC characters.

:roypm: Chance: 100%

:wolf: Chance: 99%

King K. Rool Chance 80%
Want: 75%

Bandanna Dee Chance: 70%
Want: 95%

NPC DLC Character Chance: 65%

Isaac Chance: 65%
Want: 85%

Captain Toad Chance: 58%
Want: 90%

Paper Mario Chance: 55%

:popo: Chance: 50%
Want: 80%

Inkling Chance: 50%
Want: 20%

Rayman Chance: 40%

:snake: Chance: 40%
Want: 60%

Dixie Chances: 39%
Want: 49%

Sceptile: 25%

Impa Chance: 25%
Want: 60%

Banjo Chance: 20%

Krystal Chance: 15%

Quote Chance: 10%
Want: 95%

Shantae Chance: 5%
Want: 15%

Shovel Knight Chance: 3%
Want: 70%

Henry Fleming Chance: 1%
Want: 5%

Oh boy.... I remember when I rated Ridley >90%. Good times....

Ridley Chance: 5%

Wait... Not a 0%? Not even a 1%? How can I feel justified in a 5%?

Remember the NPC day? How I launched a giant tirade about how the "NPC's can't be playable" rule is one of the most idiotic rules that the Smash community believes in? This applies to no character better then it does to Ridley.

Ridley is easily the most complex non playable character in the game. He's got multiple attack animations, a ledge grab, a getup animation, and many more. He can even be K.O'd like a playable fighter. Of all the NPC's in the game to promote to playable status, he easily makes the most sense. He's got the most to work with, and a Ridleyless Pyrosphere already exists in the games coding.

But Ridley has one, damning problem. Sakurai doesn't want to add him.

Now, I don't believe the explanation Sakurai gave us on why he didn't add Ridley. I suspect either an error in translation or that he said what he said purely for PR. Why? The reasons that he gives for not including Ridley are that they'd have to A) Shrink him down, B) Reduce his wings size, and C) Make him unable to fly freely, and that changing these aspects would change him to the degree that "It wouldn't be Ridley anymore". I refuse to believe that Sakurai looks at a characters physical characteristics and decide that's all there is to the character. Any character designer can tell you how utterly foolish that is. Those that do believe in this are essentially judging a book by its cover, and they, and I sincerely mean this in the nicest way possible, are very, very naive. I have more faith in Sakurai then that.

However, I also believe that Sakurai has a good reason for not putting in Ridley, otherwise, well, he would have done it already. What is that reason? My personal theory is that Sakurai's vision of what he would make Ridley would be very difficult to implement. Every time he's been asked about Ridley he's alluded that he could do it if he really tried, but that it would be a difficult task to undertake. Perhaps Sakurai would want to make Ridley Smash's first giant character (Not Bowser? Really?), but the task of balancing him is daunting. Or he has a really complicated mechanic in mind for Ridley that would be difficult to balance. Regardless, it's a difficult task that he probably won't undertake.

So.... why not a 0%.

Simple. Because there are foreseeable outcomes where this could happen, and those trying to claim otherwise are being ridiculously shortsighted.

First off, and the one I'm praying for the most, if a new Metroid game is announced, adding Ridley too Smash would be the perfect way to advertise it. Nintendo already knows he's a popular pick, I could see them pressuring Sakurai to make Ridley a fighter. Especially since there's no way we'll get a Metroid character that isn't Ridley with our current cast of characters. (Zero Suit Samus got in over a separate character, at a time where Metroid Prime was at the height of its popularity. Rundas, Ghor, Gandrayda, Sylux, as it stands now none of them have a snowballs chance in hell of making it into the game. Unless someone like Anthony plays a major role, and I mean a integral part of the story, setting him up to appear in future Metroid games as well, it's Ridley or nobody)

Second off, kind of tying into the second one, is that if Ridley gets a redesign in the next Metroid, Sakurai might consider adding that redesign if it fits into Smash better. Ridley can be easily redesigned and keep his character at the same time, he's one of the smallest bosses in the Metroid franchise after all, if anything being small is more important to him then being big. If the next Metroid features a fighter sized Ridley, my chance score for Ridley would be much higher.

And thirdly, Ridley's announcement would bring the Smash community to it's knees. I'm sure Sakurai realizes this, and since this is almost definitely the last Smash Bros game he will make, I could see him wanting to go out with a bang and surprise everyone with a playable Ridley.

And lastly! Sakurai can change his mind, he's done it before. No, that does not mean he will, and no, I don't expect him too, but to ignore the possibility is foolish.

So no, I don't think Ridley's chances to be DLC are fully dead. I have no hope that he will actually be put into the game, but the possibility is still there.

For those of you who still think this is too high a rating, it's the same rating I gave Shantae, and I rated Quote higher :p

Ridley Want: 100%

I'm burned out on Ridley. The same arguments over and over and over, arguments that I have absolutely no respect for yet keep getting into anyway, constant stupid memes, constant harassment... I've been told to drop dead over wanting a CHARACTER in a VIDEO GAME!

I love Ridley as a character, he's easily my favorite Nintendo villain, I think he'd be super fun to play as, and I've wanted to play as him for years. But even if I were to disregard all of that, I'd still give this a 100%. Why? Because I want this to stop. I'll never stop supporting Ridley to be in Smash, and I'm an idiot for doing so, because I don't take the constant verbal abuse from the arguments very well. I'm salty as hell over how I have been and continue to be treated because of this silly subject, and finally getting Ridley into the game as a playable character is the only way it'll ever end.

Chorus Kids Predictions: 15%

We have more then enough info to know they were planned at some point... But the question is if they'll go back and finish them?

Noms:
Pichu x5

Troykv

Smash Master
Well... I think they are being a little optimistic about the Ridley's thing, while having everything against him (except the fan support) and I think it is hypocritical that there are people who will give high chance vote a disconfirmed character, and give low chance votes a character that is practically confirmed.

Anyway... Here I go.

Ridley

Chance: 0.1%

I don't want to give him a ABSOLUTE ZERO... but he has EVERYTHING against him... (Already a NPC... A HAZARD, and his is TOO BIG).

Want: 50%

I'm don't have particular feels about Ridley, in either direction (positive or negative)... Pretty much I'm neutral with him.

Predictions:

Chorus Kids: 5%

Nominations

Micaiah x2
Tiki x2
Kos-mos x1

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Posting a pic, because he deserves it!!!

Ridley

Chance: 5%
oh, man where do I start....

Ridley easily one of Nintendo's most notorious villains, and has even become one of the most polarizing characters when it comes to Smash. Ridley is Samus's archnemesis and the one who murdered Samus's parents right in front of her...and he's been a thorn in Samus' side ever since, despite how much Sakurai Samus kills him he comes back seemingly stronger than ever...he's also the only character to make Samus paralyzed with fear (I really did not want to bring that up, but it still happened despite how much I want to ignore it) And he's one of the few characters that has actually defeated Samus (Dark Samus was another one hint hint)

Ridley's chances are very low because of one thing....HE IS TOO BIG....before you come up with a hundred arguments against that claim let me tell you why it's true.....Sakurai....all of your arguments are now invalid; doesn't matter how much you agree or disagree with that sentiment, or how much information, hypocrisies, facts, numbers, comparisons, whatever else you decide to throw, the truth is Sakurai hates Ridley says Ridley is too big for Smash and for some reason he doesn't want to resize him....Sakurai calls the shots and because of that Ridley is nit a playable fighter in smash, but instead a pretty crappy boss character....yeah let's stay true to his character Sakurai...
For a while I did agree to a certain extent, Ridley is a big character in metroid canon...in some instances he can fit Samus in his mouth...he does have some awkward proportions...and that tail...but overall should these factors really determine whether or not Sakurai makes this purple space dragon playable? in a way, no they shouldn't Sakurai is a smart enough man (I'm assuming) to know how to work around it and try to come up with something creative for Ridley to make him work....Let's look at the Project M mod (mind you a 14 year old made this mod) Now when it comes to balance the mod has Ridley as an oversized character so he is slightly too big, and a lot of his attacks have ridiculous range (doesn't mean he's not completely broken) but with some adjustments and tweaks I'm sure it can work eventually....(remember 14 year old here, folks)...so then why doesn't Sakurai bother trying to make Ridley work? Well only Sakurai knows...

Now there's an interesting thing that has caught my attention, that has pretty much prevented me from ranking a flat zero...Sakurai has stated that 'he wants to make the fans happy'...could Ridley DLC happen? well if Sakurai stays true to his word (he's very well known to contradict his own statements countless times) then he SHOULD try to make Ridley work...Nintendo I'm sure likes to make money (bumbed my chance rating by an extra percent from 1% because of this) Ridley is the most requested character before Smash 4's release, even now, I mean he's an NPC within the game being a boss character and he's pretty much been officially deconfirmed by Sakurai himself and he still gets so much fan support it's ridiculous...He's still a top 10 requested character despite having so much going against him (I have a top ten thread and Ridley has the most number one picks so far)....It is not questionable that he has the fan support behind him, he probably will continue to have the fan support until he either gets in (unlikely), we never have another smash game ever (hope not), or until hell freezes over (I can't speak for everybody but I can't wait that long)...(I mean if he gets announced the entire smash community would just freaking explode, added another 3%) but despite all this (which has been happening since melee) Ridley is still not playable...

'that might be impossible'
'Ridley is too big'
'he would no longer be Ridley'
'Ridley shall remain what he's always been, a boss character'

Ridley's biggest obstacle to become a playable character is something greater than any other character has faced before in the history of smash...
Sakurai!

however...all Metroid and Smash fans alike know how stubborn Ridley is when someone tries to repeatedly put him down...(just ask Samus)hopefully she won't freak out...

----

It's freaking Ridley!!!
He's one of my favourite Video Game villains in one of my favourite Video Game franchises period. Cunning, sadistic, intelligent, malicious, vicious, aggressive, arrogant, persistent, narcissistic, cruel, caniving, oh, and did I mention HE'S A F***ING SPACE DRAGON!!! Also his design is based on one of my favourite Movie creatures of all time being the Xenomorph (even named for the director of Alien, being one of my favourite movies of all time)...Metroid is a major Nintendo franchise, but it has limited potential for Smash...Ridley, Dark Samus, and that's it...Rundas? played a very minor role and was killed off early in Corruption, Sylux? from an ok game, and unless he gets more notable roles in the future it's not happening, Anthony Higgs? *pukes*

Ridley is the character that smash deserves, but not the one it needs right now (apparently)...

----

Prediction: 24.6%
Chorus Kids

...perhaps...this topic will be a bit more gentle...

----

Nominations:
Midna & Wolf Link x5
Not complaining about all the stuff Twilight Princess got in terms of representation in smash, but it appears Sakurai missed something...important...(making Midna playable)

Last edited:

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Chance 30%
Sakurai could feel like adding Ridley despite already being a boss due to his cult following and lack of relevant Metroid characters

Want 0%
Don't care much for Ridley but wouldn't care if he was added in at this point

Chorus Kids 1%
I'll get to them when their time is needed

Nominations: Dr. Eggman x5 (because that's what we all want :))

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Chance 30 %

Even if Sakurai wanted to make her a playable fighter it would be tricky but it can be done, Right now the only real thing in her way of getting into Smash is what Sakurai think's of her currently.

Want 100 %

Smash has no playable purple fighter's, this racism should be fixed by adding Rid's into the fray!

unnamed.png

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
...That's no moon...

--

Ridley

Chance: 3%

Can I say this, first? I feel really bad for the Ridley supporters. They did so much analysis over the course of last summer, so much debate and discussion, and they had a reason to think they still had a chance. Then the 50-Fact Extravaganza came, and crushed their hopes underfoot. What's worse, seeing Ridley relegated to a stage hazard was only the start of their pain. Suddenly, they were open targets for harassment for their detractors, the community zealots, and anyone who happened to feel particularly self-righteous at the time.

They've had to go through hell...and it'll probably last at least another few years. Even though Ridley's support base is still strong--if not quite as fervent--his current state really kills any chance he has. Even if NPC characters suddenly become an option, it'd be extremely hard to take out a character so integral to the stage he appears in. Pyrosphere's whole identity would be stripped away...something I can't see Sakurai wanting to do.

Thing is, though...even despite all of that, I don't think Sakurai actually hates Ridley. The reason he gave for not making Ridley playable wasn't the "lol he's too big" that gets repeated ad nauseum. He went on record saying he was worried sizing him down too much and limiting his ability to fly would take away too much of his identity. If he hated the character so much, why would he be so concerned about him not feeling true to character? And while Ridley got stuck as a boss for the second straight game, he's also the most elaborate of the bosses. It almost seems like an apology to the Ridley fans, by making it so at least his presence would still be important even if you couldn't play as him.

That...is why I think even though Ridley has next to no chance for this game, all of these votes for him are still accomplishing something. They've said the Smash Ballot may also be used for future Smash games, and this may be one of those cases. Sakurai himself also said a while back that they considered the Villager and a Mii character for Brawl...but decided against it, feeling like they were unfit for a fighting game. In time for Smash 4, either he or his staff found a way to get them to work and still feel true to character.

Sakurai has changed his mind about characters before...and for that reason, I think Ridley will still have a legitimate chance in Smash 5 even if Sakurai is still at the helm. Until then, I recommend any space pirates reading this to try and figure out how to change his mind.

Want: 40%
Ridley himself I'm neutral on. He's an interesting character, he has a decent amount of moveset potential and all, but...I dunno, I'm just not feeling it completely.

But...as someone who took part in so much talk, so much analysis and speculation alongside the other Robin supporters as we were finally vindicated despite all odds? Seeing another group of supporters who've gone through hell finally get vindication of their own would make me feel happy for them.

Chorus Kids Prediction: 31.75%
Expect to see some high scores combining the fact that they were considering a Rhythm Heaven character with the now-defunct last part of the Gematsu leak...and a whole lot of low scores pointing out how their support fell off a cliff overnight.

Nominations: Wolf Link & Midna x5

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just what the hell went down in the last few pages? :facepalm: Keep up that kind of argument and I'll bar people from debating here. Just give your ratings and be on your way.

RIDLEY:
CHANCE: 0%
WANT: 20%

Given that Sakurai gave an explanation as to why he isn't playable in this game, I don't think he'll back down on his word. But given how close he came to playability, I do think he has a great shot for Smash 5, as he might have a better idea on how to implement him. So, as far as DLC is concerned, he's out of the running.

As for want, I have no attachment to Ridley - I'm not a Metroid fan, nor do I really plan on playing the series ever. That said, I was completely sick of the character when the speculation period ended. I understand that his fans have been forced to go through hell and back, but the amount of venom that was spewed back and forth between the fans and the haters across the internet completely turned me away from the character.

CHORUS KIDS: 7%
Hard to say. He was scrapped during the planning stage, so I don't think people have too much faith.

IVYSAUR × 5

:231:

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Ridley
- Sakurai basically hates the character. That's what I take from the size excuse. If making him shrink won't make him Ridley, how was giving Ganondorf Captain Falcon's moveset making him more Ganondorf? Not the best comparison, but nonetheless I'll use it. We've had a few shrinks, and while for some it's not considered too drastic, I will never forget Melee's opening intro, where Ridley's model was basically perfect height, taller than Samus, and from what it may seem gameplay wise, a little bit taller than Bowser.

Want: 89.9
- Ridley is not actually too high on my list, despite my high rating. The reason for that is because he is the only worthy Metroid rep that needs to be put in and that would basically complete the Metroid roster. Yes, people always say "Rundas/Sylax" etc, but I say to you, who? We can't even compare these characters close to Ridley's popularity and their overall appearance in the Metroid series is way too low. Like someone on here said, he's the only Nintendo All-Star not getting put in at this point. And for GOD'S SAKE Sakurai, please just give us more villains. lol

Predicitons:
Chorus Men - 13.2%

Nominations -
Daisy x5 (I won't miss you like I did Paper Mario bb)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

K. Rool
Day missed. Absent.

Banjo-Kazooie
Chance: 9%, Want: 85%

Isaac
Chance: 55%, Want: 75%

Bandana Dee
Chance: 40%, Want: 100%

Captain Toad
Chance: 45%, Want: 100%

Krystal
Chance: 25%, Want: 50%

Dixie Kong
Chance: 66%, Want: 100%

Impa
Chance: 28%, Want: 100%

Shantae
Chance: 1%, Want: 5%

Inklings
Chance: 62%, Want: 70%

Rayman
Chance: 33%, Want: 90%

:snake:
Day missed. Whoops.

:wolf:
Chance: 100%, Want: 80%

Shovel Knight
Chance: 0.3%, Want: 0%

Chance: 0.5%, Want: 3%

:popo:
Chance: 5%, Want: 10%

Sceptile
Chance: 20%, Want: 55%

Wonder RedChance: 15%, Want: 68%

Promoted NPCs
Chance: 25%, Want: 100%

Henry Fleming:
Day missed.

Paper Mario
Chance: 30%, Want: 75%

:roypm:
Chance: 99%, Want: 80%

RIDLEY

Many many reasons that have been spoken about to death already. Already has a role, Sakurai said no, etc, etc, etc. Fan demand is incredibly vocal which may have a tiny bit of sway as DLC is, at the end of the day, a way to make MONEY.

Want: 48%
I'm so sick to death of Ridley talk by this point. It's been going on for a decade now and these debates never, ever end well.

Having him in would put an end to such talk since everyone's conversations tend to lean towards those who aren't in the game; DLC Newcomers, cut veterans, etc, rather than gushing over the actual playable characters. I'm not sure why that is; maybe we just always want more like entitled Disney Princesses, but it certainly seems to be the case.

But that's the only reason I want him right now. Sakurai's given his reasons for Ridley, and even if you don't agree with them, I don't think pester power should be encouraged to try and change the man's mind.

Chorus Kids Prediction: 11%

I have no idea.

Nominate:
:007:X 5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley:

Chance: 0%

Straight to the point - Ridley isn't even a candidate as far as I'm concerned. Sakurai has held his opinion on him for over a decade now, otherwise he'd already have been in Brawl where Sakurai was "happy to introduce another character from the Metroid series" by grasping at the ZSS straw, ignoring one of the most requested characters even back then. Obviously I want him more than anything else, but it ain't gonna happen while Sakurai is at the helm, a few ballot votes won't change his mind when he's already acknowledged that Ridley has had a strong following for many years now, the problem is the restrictions Sakurai has set up for himself, and that won't change one bit, neither now or in the future.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Well this sure is nostalgic. It's been a long time since I've posted anything on Smashboards. I honestly never thought that I'd come back. For those of you that don't know, I was on the non-dlc rate their chances team. I had the (probably least important) job of music librarian. Anyway, enough about me, there's a bigger matter to attend to.

Ridley: 2%
I honestly think he barely has a chance at all. The moment he was added as a stage hazard, his fate in the entirety of the smash bros series was sealed. So long as Sakarai is in charge, he is doomed to be little more than a glorified stage hazard. While his large western popularity may sway things a little more in his favor, I don't think it'll be enough.

Easily one of my most wanted characters. He'd be #1 if it weren't for the fact that he has no chance whatsoever. As it is, he's still only behind Bandana Dee and King K. Rool.

Not going to predict anything. I still haven't sized up this new crowd's lookout on things.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Ridley
Because Bullwort had Frigi freeze Ridley.
Want: 85%
Seeing him as a stage boss really made me want him.

Prediction: Chorus men Chance: 12% Want 30%

Nomination: BB bandit trio X5

Also if you guys are gonna argue about something, argue about who's bigger, Ridley or Frigisaurus.:awesome:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

A moment for the fallen....

Ridley is perhaps one of the most controversial requests this series has ever seen.

He was popular.

He was important.

He had potential for a moveset unlike any other.....

And yet....

Tragedy....

He was the victim of utmost tragedy.

Internet wars broke out.

His size was the sole cause.

Was he too big?

Would he work?

Years and two games of bitter fighting and internet crusades on both sides raised the stakes to unspeakable levels.

But alas... The space dragon is too big for Sakurai.

According to his vision.

He would not fit.

Sakurai does not deserve our scorn. Nor our hatred. Nor our venom.

He simply disagrees with us.

And we cannot truly fault him for that.

Because what I've figured out over the last two years is that...

Whether Ridley is too big or not is relative.

It's all about what Ridley means to you.

Regardless, in the end, it really is just is a purple space dragon. A fictional character whom we all love in our own way.

The fighting over him is silly.

We can all agree to that.

And so...

Ridley Chance: 0%

I cannot deny the director's words. He has no intention of letting Ridley in.

But if he was open to the idea...

Oh happy day.

Ridley is one of the three characters I will give 100% in want.

The other two will show themselves with time.

Chorus Men Prediction: 17%

Oh.... This is a doozy.

Could be anywhere really...

Phoenix Wright x 3
Ivysaur
Squirtle

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Ridley chances: 0.15%
The only reasons why I'm not giving him a flat zero are 1) anything can happen 2) he would sell well and 3) Sakurai has acknowledged the strong demand for a playable Ridley from the Smash fanbase. However, he didn't agree with the idea of a playable Ridley, not because of who he his but because of his design, which he flat-out judged Smash unfriendly; as such, he made him a stage boss instead. I know Sakurai is one who often changes his mind, but I don't see him do it about Ridley anytime soon; he already said it would be too complicated back in Brawl times, and he did confirm he indeed wasn't viable as a playable character after the October Smash Direct (according to him at least). And while I don't think scaling him down and everything while making him not look weird is impossible per se, it would probably need too much time and polish to properly work, so I think it probably just wouldn't be worth it from a developer's perspective.

Ridley want: 60%
Not one of my personal favourite picks, but playing as a vicious space pterodactyl would admittedly be awesome. That unofficial Project M mod looks promising, though I think it could be polished further. Also imagine the absolute hype storm coming from an hypothetical Ridley reveal. He's pretty much the only characters I can think of who has the power to create one similar to the Snake or Sonic reveal for Brawl (I wasn't here at the time, but I imagine those has blew away pretty much everyone when they were revealed).

Another positive thing would be the fact that the Ridley debate would pretty much be over if he ever gets in, which would definitely be a good thing for the community. Well, besides a few vocal haters, but that's it.

Chorus Kids prediction: 29.80%
Mentioned in the Gematsu leak and a Rhythm Heaven character emblem data file has been found on the Wii U version. I expect them to do respectably well.

Nominating:
Concept: DLC characters get custom moves (including Mewtwo through patching) x5

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You know who
BluePikmin percent.

Not Magolor prediction: 23.4%

I won nom:
10 Magolor is a bit too much, he'l get there I hope, so I'll add another of my most wanted:
Magolor x5
Tetra x5

Roy has freaking game data and managed to not have the highest chance :facepalm:

Ridley

Sigh, here we go.

Chances: 1%

He's too big, hard to fit into the smash style without completely changing his design. Love it or hate it he'd be hard to replace as the stage boss on Pyrosphere.

One of my favourite things about a lot of the original Metroid games were that they were about Samus, their style didn;t let them have heavy character building for enemies or whatnot, so everything was about htis one woman and her ability to take on and adapt to whatever was thrown at her. It's why I actually like that the only Metroid reps are Samus variations, and why the only other rep I'd like is Dark Samus

Chorus Men

Prediction: 34%

They get a bit of recognition on here but I'm not sure if people really think they'll get in or not...

Votes: all in on the AW characters
You do realize dark samus isnt actually samus tight? So much for "that one woman"

Ridley
chance 0
Normally i would give a .001 becauae its silly to put 0. But this is an exception. Sakurai outright said . Plus sakurai views clone ridley as all ridleys. Read the trophy. "Long standing rival" forst game is netroid. . . Not to mention turning into "meta tidley" because you knows.

Want 100%
1. Ridley arguments end
2. Ridley is cool

Predictions 22%

Noms
2 viridi
2 roy has awawkeni g atture as default
1 pig ganon

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Ridley
Chance and Want:
Double Zeroes

He's a stage hazard.
Sakurai thinks he's too big.

I don't want him because there is a whole slew of newcomers that I want.
I also have Ridley fatigue... I am tired of hearing about him.

Chorus Men Prediction: 7.35%
Looks like there was supposed to be Rhythm Heaven content. I think the fall of the Ice Climbers will do them in.

Nominations: DLC Alt Costumes for Characters

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Ridely
Chance 1.1%
he is already a boss character and don't give me the alfonso excuse that was a background character situation and can easily be programmed for animation only on the other hand Ridely is a stage boss and it's going to take more programming and skeleton matching to replace him as a boss character. This goes for any interactive NPC in the game.

Want: 20%
He has me semi- interested but I don't care for him too much.

Nomination
Ninten x5

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Roy has freaking game data and managed to not have the highest chance :facepalm:

You do realize dark samus isnt actually samus tight? So much for "that one woman"
Dark Samus is literally the antithesis of Samus, even being made out of her suit and DNA. It copies some of her abilities and adapts like Samus does.

Yes, they're not a single person. Doesn't make it any less connected to "that one woman" Samus.

On the other hand I am also confused about Roy's rating. I guess the gap between Melee and Sm4sh is making people think he's less likely than Wolf?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Chance? 1%. And I feel that's generous. I mean, technically it's 100% chance because he's already in the game, hue.

But want? I think Swampy sums it up nicely.
#OnenationunderRidley
#Getitcuzhe'stoobig?
#Imademyselfsad
#IwantRidley.....
200%. I've been a Ridley supporter since pre-brawl. It really just sucks at this point. I doubt he'll ever be playable under Sakurai.

Gee Gee

Laniv

Smash Champion
Ridley:

Chance: 0.5%
Not today, buddy. Maybe some beautiful miraculous day.

Want: 80%
Outside of Dark Samus, he's really the only one left.

Prediction

Chorus Kids/Men/Boys: 55%

Nominate Toad x5

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Ridley

Chance - 0% - I have no faith in a boss character becoming playable. I don't care if the boss is technically a "clone" of Ridley, for all intents and purposes the game treats him as any other incantation. So he's doomed, as there is no way they would remove all that work.

Want - 100% - Still doesn't change him from being one of my most wanted, though. A giant space dragon? Sign me up!

Chorus Kids Prediction - 37.25% - I have no clue, but there are still some believers to that Gematsu Leak.

Nominations
New Palutena's Guidance Conversations X3
Anna (FE) X2

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This gonna be terrible.

The Big Guy: Ridley.

Chances:0%