• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
Bit of a quick catch up for me:

League of Legends: Chance (Abstain), Want (Abstain)
Rean Schwarzer: Chance (Abstain), Want (Abstain)
Estelle Bright: Chance (Abstain), Want (Abstain)
Adol Christin: Chance (Abstain), Want (Abstain)

In short, I don't play these games. A quick google search shows me sword characters. Lots of them. I'm ... not keen on that.

Decidueye: Chance 0%, Want 10%
Not with a Gen 7 rep already in. I would've preferred him over Incineroar though. Decidueye is a ghost archer. The moveset would've been phenomenal.

Garchomp: Chance 15%, Want 80%
This would go hand in hand in my idea/support for a Cynthia character who utilizes multiple Pokémon including Garchomp. She'd be a Pokémon rep that came from two generations in the middle of the franchise history. She'd be a perfect rep for the anniversary, and she's got two Sinnoh games coming out soon. I think Nintendo could easily end on a Nintendo character, and this would be a good one.

Generation 8: Chance 20%, Want 5%
As much as I'd adore Cynthia ... my guess is they'd do something Gen 8 which would be disappointing as Gen 8 has become oversaturated. The time for Urishifu, the Starters, Obstagoon, or Toxtricity is over.

Professor Layton: Chance 0%, Want 40%
I adore these games, but with Layton pulling out of NA ... I just don't think this is possible.

Monokuma: Chance -10%, Want 90%
I would adore to see this. I wouldn't stop grinning. I don't see it happening sadly.

Thoughts on Kazuya

90% Satisfaction.

He's complicated. I would never be able to use him. But it's obvious how much love was put into him.
The Mii reveals were shocking, but as the characters weren't on top of my list I wasn't personally upset. I think Shantae being taken out hurt the most. Lloyd was just obvious after Kazuya was revealed.

Nomination: Whatever you guys decide :)

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Now that I got my hands on this beast, I’ll throw out my rating, which is a pretty solid 100%

To start things off, I am not a huge Tekken fan. It’s movement and controls never quite clicked with me in the same way as SF, MK, or KoF. That said, while I don’t have a huge attachment to the series, I’m someone who loves to see big, important franchises added to Smash. For example, I’m not super into Dragon Quest or Minecraft, but I was always a big supporter of Erdrick and Steve because of their importance to gaming. Fighting game representation is something that I always love to see in Smash, and Tekken is inarguably among the big dog fighting game franchises. Even though it isn’t my favorite, I’ve always wanted to see it in Smash simply for its legacy and importance to the genre.

After that presentation, I was reminded how much Sakurai ****ing loves fighting games. The guy literally didn’t add Heihachi in Smash 4 because he didn’t think he could do him justice, so the fact that he’s added Kazuya now shows that he has put a lot of thought into it and will make sure that he does it right. And holy **** did he do an amazing job. I remember being amazed when Ryu dropped and he literally felt like I was playing Street Fighter in Smash, but Kazuya is on another level. This is easily the most “fighting game character” yet. As someone who loves sinking a ludicrous amount of hours into a game just to get good with one character, I can already tell that I’ll be having an absolute blast learning how to play Kazuya. Just a couple hours in and he already feels incredibly unique and extremely satisfying as I’ve slowly started to get a feel for his unique inputs and movement. Getting KOs at the ledge with his command grab is the most satisfying thing since BUSTAH WOLF!

Also, and I’m ashamed to have not know this sooner, but Tekken has one of the best goddamn soundtracks I’ve ever heard. The amount of bangers is absolutely ridiculous.

And of course I have to mention the Miis, which I was all around very happy with. Dragonborn was always one of my most wanted characters, but I’m honestly ecstatic to have gotten a Mii costume. Shantae looks fantastic and comes with an amazing music track. Dante looks pretty good honestly, and clears the way for my man Nick to be our next Capcom rep. And Lloyd, while sad to see, was expected. Overall, this Mii wave was a massacre, but I was honestly pretty happy with it.

So to conclude: Smash is amazing and Sakurai continues to be the most amazing director that we could possibly ask for. Even when he adds things that I don’t really care about (like Tekken), he does such an amazing job that I find it difficult to complain. Kazuya is awesome and I couldn’t be happier with the way he was implemented.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Today is indie day! This was originally split into 2 days, but Shantae's unexpected departure has resulted in a single day of indie fun:

Rate the following characters:
  • Quote from Cave Story
  • Reimu from Touhou
  • The Knight from Hollow Knight
1625061120767.png
1625061144867.png
1625061162624.png

Predict Master Chief and Crash Bandicoot.

-----

Some songs for today's characters:

Reimu

The Knight

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Quote, the Soldier from the Surface

Chance: 20% -
Quote's honestly in the best position he's been in in quite awhile! Most of his competition has been thoroughly eliminated, with one dropping out via a Mii costume just a couple of days ago. And a big fear, the graze glitch/Lucas head glitch (assumed to be a hint for Reimu) ended up being for Kazuya instead. Furthermore, Cave Story is basically the father of indies, and that historical appeal is definitely a plus for Sakurai. Furthermore, Quote's Nintendo representation is strong! He's been getting ports and remakes on Nintendo systems for years, ever since the early Wii days in fact! Alongside that there's his and Curly's appearences in other Nicalis games on Nintendo systems, like Blade Strangers and Umihara Kawase Fresh. Plus Nicalis has shown interest in Smash before, so if Nintendo came to them for Quote, I don't think Nintendo getting "Ghosted" would be an issue, and Nintendo has worked with even more controversial developers in the past. Honestly, at this point I'd say Quote is the indie frontrunner, with his only big disadvantage being that the more popular indies of recent years were costumed.

Want: 100% - YES PLEASE! Quote's my most wanted indie character and one of my most wanted characters of all time! This game basically made 10th grade for me, and Quote is both an excellent historical pick and has tons of awesome weapons in his arsenal! From his standard spur or Polar star to shooting fireballs, bubbles, and a sword... THAT HE THROWS LIKE A BOOMERANG!. Plus he easily brings a gimmick with him where he can collect chips from knocked back enemies to power up his weapons! Plus we barely have any gunner characters in Smash, and a floaty, momentum-based zoner sounds like a lot of fun to play! I see no downsides to Quote's inclusion! Worldwide recognizability, Nintendo representation, an awesome and unique toolkit, what DOESN'T he have. And I don't give two f**** about Nicalis' reputation here, Quote and Pixel deserve it regardless of Nicalis' actions!

Reimu Hakurei

Chance: 3% -
Honestly, I know I'm a bit biased, given my experiences with Touhou and its' fandom, but I still honestly think that Reimu's supporters overrate her to an insane degree. While her presence in Japan is huge (and Nintendo apparently distributed Touhou music at a convention?), and has historical indie significance herself (she dates back to the 90's), she's missing a lot of the big advantages that Quote has. For one, Nintendo has made no effort whatsoever to promote Touhou or any of the few games that came to the Switch (a spinoff fighting game and some fangames), and remember that Nintendo's picking the characters! The big kicker is her lack of localization. Yes, I know, "ZUN doesn't need to get official localizations, the fans do it for him!". That's still no replacement for an official localization. Some of the games are available on Steam, but most Touhou games have to be pirated and then patched with the English translation. Hardly something the average Nintendo fan would do for a franchise super obscure in the West. Most players wouldn't have an honest clue who Reimu is. And while Undertale did bring some attention back to Touhou, it's a reality that it isn't as big as it used to be back in 2008-2011. A lot of its' fans have moved in to other, less respectable franchises (one of which paved the path for Gacha....), and while ZUN is still making new Touhou games, it isn't the big exotic sensation it used to be. While Nintendo is picking the characters, Sakurai still has influence, and in the past he's kept out characters that have little to no presence overseas. Granted, he has met ZUN before as far as I'm aware, and ZUN DOES love Sakurai's Kirby games (to the point of including Kirby references in his games, such as Flandre's (and even arguably Clownpiece's) resemblances to Marx, and the Unnamed Giant Catfish's attacks being remakes of those of the Fatty Whale), so there's a creator connection, but that doesn't guarantee you a fighter (see Travis Touchdown, or fellow one-person indie character Sans). So while Reimu DOES have her merits, I honestly think way too much is stacked against her at this point.

Want: 10% - I've gushed about my history with Reimu before, from her being my waifu for awhile to my history with the games and Touhou's presence in other spots like Super Mario World ROMhacks. While there has been some faint nostalgia, and while there are some music tracks I'd love to see (a big one being Phantom Ensamble), there are simply too many negatives to make me want her in Smash. I just couldn't fit in with any of the pillars of the fandom and it resulted in my departure. Now, I have been doing some fun Touhou-based activities with my friend recently, such as Gensou Skydrift and Touhou Puppet Play (a FireRed ROMhack), while it has eased my tensions a bit it really hasn't done anything to make me want her in Smash. Plus she's unfavorable competition for Quote, and that's a no-no!

The Knight

Chance: 15% -
Hollow Knight as a franchise is in a very odd spot right now. For one thing, the Hollow Knight franchise and Team Cherry are absolutely adored by Nintendo, and The Knight has gotten plenty of promotion! That is a huge key for all third party fighters! We've also been speculating on the coming of a Hollow Knight premium Mii Costume for a long time and we have yet to see it with only one wave left. So he's been on the table! But on the other hand, we have yet to see any indie characters make the jump to playable, which both opens a spot for but lessens the plausibility of The Knight being the one to make the jump. Furthermore, what happened to Silksong? There haven't been any updates to it in a couple of years, so the current state of the franchise is in limbo. Still, The Knight's merits still outweigh the downsides, and while I'm certainly not expecting him, he's a dark horse that people should keep an eye on!

Want: 40% - Pretty neutral on The Knight myself. I've never played Hollow Knight myself so I don't have any attachment to the character or his franchise. But at the same time he'd bring a unique aesthetic to Smash, along with a unique moveset and world! Plus I have a few friends who are fans of him, so I'd definitely be happy for them if The Knight got the final slot. I also have to take off some points for him being competition for Quote. Still, aside from that, he's got worldwide appeal and Nintendo representation, so I don't see why not! He'd be a very worthy and fun addition to the roster!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Louie xAll

Predictions:
Crash Bandicoot - 21.82% - Post-E3 effect will hit Crash hard, but Sakurai's wording about waiting awhile for the final fighter could potentially place FP11 at the Game Awards. That, combined with the theory of the Missing Banjo, will help restore some confidence in Crash!
Master Chief - 22.33% - Much of what applies to Crash applies to Chief as well. Furthermore, while Vergeben's hints should be taken with a grain of salt, I'm sure his Minecraft prediction panning out could keep people confident in his Chief information being for FP11 instead of FP10.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Tekken Guy satisfaction: 60%
His stage is pretty generic and his moveset is way too complicated. Honestly most of this score is coming from the music selection, which makes most of the other DLC music lists look like crap by comparison. I definitely won't be playing as kazuya very often but it's not like I hate his existence or anything.
Noms: DJ Octavio x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Reimu

Chance: 15%. With Shantae out of the running, Reimu’s chance has increased quite a bit. Of course, she could appear as a Mii Costume or Spirit as well, but then again, the impossible became possible.

Want: 50%. She would be fun to play as, and I can see her fight the likes of Joker and Steve, Among others in a free for all. Overall, she would make a decent Smash Bros rep.

Chance: 15%. Multiple Indie reps are out of the running, and Quote is one of the more possible choices of a new Indie Rep. Of purse, there is a chance for a Mii Costume and or spirit as well.

Want: 50%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see him and Steve fight each other in Great Cave Offensive. Overall, he would make a decent Smash Bros rep.

The Knight

Chance: 15%. With Shovel Knight as a spirit and assist trophy, the Knight’s chance of appearing seems more possible, also with Shantae, Cuphead and Sans our of the running as well. Then again, he could be a Mii Costume and or spirit.

Want: 50%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see him assist Link or March against their opponents. Overall, he would make a decent Smash Bros rep.

Prediction: Master Chief (5%) and Crash Bandicoot (50%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Ender Dragon

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The forefather... Foremother? The OG Indie

Chance: 20% I'm MUCH more confident in Reimu when it comes to Indie characters, not only because Reimu was first, being from the 90's, but because Touhou is ****ing massive to the point it's crossed over with the biggest IP on the planet, Hello Kitty. It has gotten conventions yearly and has at least 18 official games, it was also a big part of internet culture worldwide back in the day, people will try to claim Touhou has no Western basis but that is blatantly not true with multiple games having been released, both official and fangames put on Steam available in English. Some will try to claim Touhou has no Nintendo appearances despite again, multiple games having released on Switch, including a physical copy I can get by walking into a retailer. Hell, Reimu's also officially crossed over with Kirby through Taiko no Tatsujin, so the idea that Nintendo may not want to associate themselves with Touhou because of the different mindsets for fangames doesn't ass up either, especially as Nintendo were involved with official conventions in the past.

Want: 70% I wouldn't call myself a Touhou fan, most of my experience with the series is Luna Nights, a fantastic MetroidVania by Team Ladybug, knowing some of the meme songs and seeing fanart on twitter, though I plan on getting that CastleVania-esque game that's coming to Switch and Steam later this year, but I really do like what Reimu can bring to the table. For starters, the absolute bangers that are Touhou songs, second, Reimu's more of a grouchy character who doesn't like doing things which is very different compared to most personalities in Smash so I'd look forward to how her personality stands out here. Adding on to that I'm curious as to how she'd look. Obviously I'd prefer her Ayami Kojima looking design from said upcoming port but I wonder if they'd go for a typical anime-esque design or more like her ZUN look. Finally, I think Reimu would be pretty fun, the way I see her is that she'd have some sort of effect similar to Dark Phoenix in MvC3 where her normals also shoot a weak projectile with no hitstun, whether it's always on or an install, idk but that would create a dynamic where you fight a zoner who you can close the gap with at risk of getting absurd percentages or having to try and manoever around the projectiles to avoid damage, which sounds really cool

I swear we did Quote recently

Chance: 5% I really think Reimu's the best shot indie games have, but Cave Story is still significant enough to the point I feel it's worth discussing and considering. For starters, what gave us all these pixel art indie games harkening back to the good old days? This game, all made by 1 guy. That sounds like the kind of thing Sakurai himself would value, but my big concerns that hinder this are 1: Touhou being significantly bigger and 2: I feel Nicalis ghosting business partners means Nintendo wouldn't bother.

Want: 70% I do feel rather iffy with Nicalis but you know what they say, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Cave Story's a fascinating story in terms of game dev terms and the end result is... Pretty damn good all things considered. Knowing Sakurai he'd make Quote a zoner which ok, not the craziest thing, but he'd probably use Cave Story's leveling system. For those who don't know, beating enemies awarded EXP in the form of dorito shaped energy, collecting it would let you level up, maxing at 3, which made your weapons much better! However, getting hit would smack it out of you, weakening you significantly enough to be concerned. This sounds genuinely fun to me

My single bad opinion

Chance: 1% Again, I really don't see an indie other than Reimu happening though while Quote at least has some historic value, Team Cherry's critically acclaimed masterpiece is easily one of the biggest faces of modern indie, I believe having sold 3 million with Silksong getting the Bayo 3 and Prime 4 treatment, but if Shovel Knight and now Shantae, 2 other major players for modern indie games, end up not being playable, I kinda doubt the Knight will surpass them.

Want: 5% I just could not get into Hollow Knight personally, I didn't like how the map was handled and you needed an item to see where you were as the areas looked rather samey to me, I found the Dark Souls mechanic but with the twist of your corpse fighting back to be more of an annoyance than anything interesting and finally, the game is way too damn big, I got lost constantly which would usually be a good thing in a MetroidVania for me, but I just didn't like it. At the very least, it's a very solidly designed game that just doesn't vibe with me, I'm giving more than a zero because I do like the Knight's design lot

Split my noms between Soma and Junpei

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Chance: 15%
Since I often see this get spread around both on SmashBoards and on other sites, let it be known that Nicalis did not "steal" Cave Story from Pixel. Here's a really in-depth Twitter thread that talks about the history between the two:

Now for the actual rating: Cave Story is one of the most influential indie games out there. If the final character is a more low key/legacy type of pick similar to Terry, I could see Sakurai going for Quote.

The indie competition has also gotten lower over the years. Undertale, Shovel Knight, Cuphead, and now Shantae are all out of the competition. So as far as notable indie names go, all that's really left is Cave Story and Touhou. I know there's Hollow Knight too though I don't see them happening as explained down below.

I don't think the toxicity issues over at Nicalis would be an issue with Nintendo since all of that was revealed to the public in September 2019 when the FP2 characters were most likely already decided on. Nintendo has also worked with far worse companies and Nicalis would have to be complete idiots to try and ghost a company like Nintendo especially since they've wanted Quote in Smash for a while now. I think the main hurdle for Quote in Smash would just be Nicalis being a Western company which I view as an obstacle in general.

Want: 100%
Cave Story is easily my favorite indie game ever. I first got hooked on it in 2010 with the WiiWare release and have since played it on a bunch of other systems. It's a really great game and I recommend you try it out whether it be one of the ports/remakes or the original freeware version.

To say that I would want to see him in Smash would be an understatement. He's been one of my top 3 most wanted characters ever since the Smash 4 days and would most likely beat Terry in terms of how hyped I am for them.

-----

Abstaining on Reimu since I never really got into Touhou.

-----

The Knight

Chance: 1%
Compared to lots of other indies (as well as games in general), Hollow Knight is super recent. I feel like third parties have a tendency to be from series with long-lasting legacy/history. For reference our most recent third party series with a playable character is Minecraft, which officially released in 2011. That was before the development period of Smash 4 which I think really think shows how recent third-party series have a tough time getting in. I just can't see Nintendo willing to use one of their characters for an indie series that isn't even 5 years old yet.

To me this just screams Mii Costume. Team Cherry has supposedly been close with Nintendo, so I can see them getting tossed a bone in the form of a costume.

Want: 10%
I bought Hollow Knight last Christmas. I've been trying really hard to get into but just... can't. I don't know if it's the super dark atmosphere or me not having any idea on what I should be doing, but I find myself having a hard time getting hyped for this game compared to most other people. Even if I was enjoying it, I wouldn't want The Knight to get in over most other indies. Quote and Shantae are the main ones I'm hoping get into Smash one day, and as far as other super recent indies go I would much prefer Hat Kid.

Oh and top of all of this, I'm not a fan of recent third-party series getting picked over other characters. Yes I know I just mentioned wanting Hat Kid but her recency is a reason I don't want her as much as I would. I feel like we should wait to see if a game will stand the test of time before adding it into Smash, which is one of the reasons I'm against series like Among Us and Fortnite getting characters.

-----

Master Chief chance prediction: 35%
Crash chance prediction: 30%

Crash will definitely be lower than it was before since he wasn't at E3. Chief is harder to tell since there's a multitude of things going for and against him (leakers saying he was happening, that one Halo community leader saying he wasn't happening, etc.).

-----

Nominations:
Mii Costume: 2B x20

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is my Quote writeup. This was where I originally had Shantae when I pre-wrote her writeup where I gave her a 15% chance. ouch.

Chance: 20%

Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about indies at this point. While they do fit with the theme of the last pick being smaller the fact that Undertale, the indie game that took the world by storm, only got a costume says a lot to me. I have a feeling that for this game indies will be relegated to costumes, but that doesn't mean that the last character can't be one. In fact I'd argue that Quote has a decent chance. He's the father of indies, has solid Nintendo history, and Cave Story is all around a celebrated game. If Nintendo looked at Cuphead, Sans, and Shantae, there is a good chance that they had Quote in mind so I wouldn't be surprised if he got represented in some way. But whether or not that would equate to a challenger pack or just a costume remains to be seen. And before anyone dares to bring up Nicalis, need I remind you of Konami for the billionth time?

Want: 60%

Same score as last time. I tried out Cave Story and unfortunately I could not get into it. I'll certainly give it another shot one of these days but right now it's not something that I'm particularly hyped to seeing in Smash. But with that said, it's Cave Story. It more than deserves to get a challenger pack and it would be very fitting to be the first indie game to get a character, a milestone for Smash.

The name's totally Hollow Knight right??

Chance: 10%

This is the third most likely indie character IMO. Hollow Knight is a standout indie title that has gotten a lot of love in general and from Nintendo. It's on the Switch, it's getting a sequel, and it won awards. So what's up with this low score? Well looking at our indie costumes we've gotten so far they are all generally from recent standout indie hits. To me, this just screams that The Knight will most likely get a costume if he gets anything. Not to mention both Quote and Reimu trounce him in terms of legacy and at least when it comes to Reimu, Japanese popularity. It could happen, but I'm betting on the soldier and the shrine maiden instead.

Want: Abstain

Haven't had the chance to play Hollow Knight yet. Aside from some gameplay footage I barely know anything about the game itself so I can't comment in terms of want.

Bullets! Bullets everywhere!

Didn't I just say that I wasn't too confident in indies? Well Reimu (alongside Quote) is the exception. The truth is I think she is tied with Quote as the most likely indie rep and there are reasons why she is in my top 5 predictions for the last slot. Why am I so confident in her? Well let's discuss.

The first point I want to bring up is Touhou's owner, ZUN. He is a one-person company which not only means that it would be relatively easy to get the rights to Reimu but also would be quite affordable. ZUN is famous for being chill with the Touhou I.P, to the point where he allows things like fan games and even having people make music for his games. He imposes little restrictions on fan content and judging from how chill he is in general, I imagine he would be easy to work with. In fact, while it's not a surprise (I mean, who doesn't want their character in Smash?) ZUN is interested in Touhou getting into Smash.

The next point has to do with Touhou's popularity in Japan. It is a sprawling multimedia franchise dating back to 1997 and has remained strong. The reitaisai convention is one of the largest dojin (clique) events and it only has Touhou content. This is where fanmade projects and games are distributed and it's partially thanks to this quick and easy distribution that Touhou managed to gain such a strong following, especially in Japan. As such the brand recognition has spiked and it's gotten a cult following in foreign countries.

One thing that I want to tackle is the argument of "There is nothing pointing towards Nintendo choosing Touhou of all things." Well I got some points to bring up to you all. First, Nintendo has shown interest in Touhou before, notably the fact that in September of 2019 they were at Reitaisai. Additionally while the Switch has gotten several fan games it recently got an official release with Antinomy of Common Flowers. Granted it wasn't heavily promoted by Nintendo but the fact that she has an official release, on Nintendo's console no less, gets rid of a major argument against her. The only caveat with this, and this is something that we have to keep in mind when discussing shill reps from this year, is that we aren't sure when the port was negotiated for. So I'll keep in mind the possibility of this being a non-factor for this score.

But overall when you combine her popularity with ZUN being quite approachable and Nintendo showing some interest in Touhou, I think Reimu is definitely a darkhorse pick. She is by no means guaranteed and I do acknowledge that her being internationally obscure, which has prevented characters from getting in during the past, does hurt her chances quite a bit. But considering that the last pick will be smaller and thus gets rid of a lot of the big competition, plus the fact that the general pool of characters has gotten smaller, leaves room for Reimu to possibly budge in.

You probably were expecting a higher want score after all that but the truth is I haven't gotten the chance to play a Touhou game yet. I just wanted to defend Reimu because I think she is genuinely the type of darkhorse pick that would blindside a lot of people so we should be aware of her. For my want score, it mostly comes from the fact that we would likely get a Terry-tier amount of music. And Touhou has a lot of great music. Plus she would introduce a new genre and series to Smash, and I'm always up for that.

Predictions: 10% for both the Chief and the bandicoot

Noms: Pyramid head x35 (Using extra noms)

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Oh I forgot to do Kazuya satisfaction! He's great.

Now that we only have one character left out of thousands, possibly hundreds, millions, to speculate over, I'm probably not sure if I can rate anybody 50+% unless they have an outrageously good case. And unless they already appeal to me or set up for other characters in the future, I'm probably gonna start being stricter with wants.

Anyway, indie roundup:

I'mma be honest, after Kazuya getting in despite Heihachi's Mii showing up within the same pass, I don't think most indie characters have a shot in hell over Undertale if we get one (besides Among Us and Friday Night Funkin' which are both way too late and the latter is incomplete, the only other indie with the star power of Undertale I can think of is legitimately Five Nights at Freddy's). As a result, all three of them are getting a 10% in chance from me though I will explain their unique upsides and weaknesses. Quote has perhaps the longest worldwide legacy although he's a one-game wonder. Reimu is easily the most popular but also the most regional specific with no real push going on. The Knight is from perhaps the most acclaimed game with the obvious promotional path but it doesn't feel like anything that has that edge to get farther than a Mii Costume. At the end of the day, though, I'm counting on none of them.

I will note however that at least they aren't too big to be the last character.

Quote/Knight Want: 25%. I'm not big on characters from games I don't enjoy or games I haven't gotten the chance TO enjoy. But it would make lots of people happy. So I guess their inclusion would be fine. There's not a whole lot that could make me angry or even bitter, just disapppointed. Perfect examples of an "oh well" pick.

Reimu Want: 35%. The extra 10% is because it softens the blow for next time as that would destroy Arle's most general weakness. Besides that though, it's the same deal. Not who I want per se, but enough people want her that I'd be okay with that.

Chief score: 8.73%. Crash: 8.62%. I'm expecting their scores to tank after failing to be at E3 + last character syndrome and most people will probably give them 0-10%'s in chance besides diehards who refuse to give up. Chief getting a minor edge because his company actually cares about him > Activision not having a rep in Volume 2 but both will be considered unlikely.

If we can rate concepts like this, Concept: Next game is not a reboot x max. Otherwise... I'll rotate between First party, SEGA rep, Capcom rep and Indie rep. Starting with Concept: Last character is first party x max. If that's been rated/scheduled then SEGA rep x max.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
You gotta feel bad for poor ol' Shantae. She was just gonna be rerated and she was killed before we had a chance to talk about her again. Oh well.

Since we are rerating characters, let me repost what i said with some updates. Abstaining on Hollow Knight as i have no major interest.

Reimu:

Chance: Updated to 3.5%

Now this..............is interesing. Look, when people say Indies, most imagine a one off small game or little series that only started in the late 2000s and early 2010s that recently got ported to Consoles...........Touhou is not that. Not only does this franchise have over 20 games (far more than other franchises represented in Smash like Fire Emblem, Metroid, and maybe even some Third Parties) it's very damn old. The very first game was released for PC 98...........in 1997. This series predates Banjo Kazooie and SMASH. It's been featured on Swtich!.................in a way.

Another interesing detail about Touhou is its relation to Fan Products. Not only does the creator aprove of the Fan Content, he embraces and encourages it, due to the series's heavy focus on Doujin (basically self-published independent works, both original and based on existing properties). So much so that There's a Dojin Distributor called "PLAY DOUJIN!" that does nothing but publish official Doujin Touhou games on non-PC platforms, including the Switch, and Yes, these games have been released worldwide (hell i remember seeing a Nintendo Switch Physical Copy of a Touhou game in my local Mall Plaza in Chile, back when Corona Meant beer) so while the presence of "official" Touhou games on Nintendo may be small, the fans have basically given it life on that platform (obviously with the creator's blessing). They rival Sonic's fanbase when it comes to fan projects, both amazing and "creppy" (trust me) it's just that Zun operates in a different world from Sega when it comes to copyright so Touhou's fan-projects are more visible.

Oh and Zun wants a Touhou character in Smash, but that's not surprising at all. At this point i would be more surprised to some developers saying NO.

So why is she is so low? Again, low worldwide popularity like certain characters such as Sakura Shinguchi and Arle, but Reimu's case it's even worse. Unlike Arle's franchise Touhou is STILL very unkown outside of its target audience: The "Otaku" (or nowadays "Weeb") crowd. This is what you call and "underground" franchise, it' has a vocal and passionate following but it's not super large and it's from a completely different realm from the Smash's fanbase (hell, even the casual Smash players) interests and tastes, and that already kills a lot of her chances in my eyes, that and the whole competition and first party things, this only makes it worse for Reimu. It's mostly because of the franchise's themes and concepts though. Unlike Puyo above, where the only japanese thing was the focus on cutesy stuff, Touhou takes pride and joy in beign HEAVILY based on Eastern Mythology and ideas, it's even in the name ( Touhou means "Eastern") and such it features many concepts and folkore only those heavily familiar with them could understand what is essentially one of the main appeals of this franchise.

Yeah Reimu is sort of becoming more talked about now, but it's still a really unpopular choice for Smash all around. Even in Japan, where her most of her fanbase resides, she's not usually that super requested requested either. Others like Bandanna Dee, Steve, Rex and even Sora are more popular there when it comes to Smash newcomer ideas. By the time people got to talk about Reimu in a larger capacity, the base roster, Fighter Pass 1 and maybe even Fighter Pass 2 have already been made. It's not the fan requests NOW that matter, but those that happened before Ultimate and/or its DLC Started development, like Banjo's massive support in 2015. Arle on the other hand, actually had support as early as the Smash Ballot days, and that suppor has been slowly but surely growing in Japan AND the rest of the world. Compare that to Reimu, where you have some Japanese Support, and very, very small Worldwide Support. I don't even remember Reimu's name beign even mentioned ONCE in the Smash 4 days or the Smash 4 DLC days or even the Smash Ultimate base roster days (guess the Grinch hogged all the attention)

There's Hero, but Hero is basically seen as one of the pioneers of one of the most popular Genres in Japan and Gaming as a whole. Terry is only unpopular in America, America Is NOT "The West", there's also Mexico, Central America and the entirity of South America , most areas where Terry is actually well known and loved.

I gotta agree with that one user who i cannnot remember their name, Reimu feels like a character /V/ is trying to meme into existence.

Honestly, the problem with Touhou isn't just that it is extremely unpopular outside of Japan to the point that its western fanbase is underground (in the same way i see the likes of Doomguy as extremely unlikely due to their obscurity in Japan) but also that they aren't accessible in general, period.

At least with say Terry, no matter how unknown to Americans he is, any American with an Eshop account can go and buy a FF and KOF game, and also do it on PS Store, or Xbox Live Arcade or Steam and the like, this is something Touhou simply can't do, if you want to play these games you NEED to go out of your way to play it, with Patches and ****, something that i reckon Nintendo does not want people to go out to do. This is one character i don't see Nintendo choosing, who btw have a say in the DLC, and neither do i see Sakurai, since he has made an increasing attempt at choosing characters that appeal to worldwide audiences (Little Mac, the Belmonts, Ridley, Steve, etc) to chose a character like Reimu would go against the current direction Smash is going, and even in Japan there are characters that are also requested and i don't need to make a scene in order to play it.

Now, things are looking up a little for Touhou in the meantime, i must admit. Recently, there have been OFFICIAL Touhou games released on the Switch. Not the the Bullet Hell games that the series is known for, but a Fighting Game: Antinomy of Common Flowers. It was released for the Nintendo Switch Worldwide. This marks the FIRST Time the series gets an official english release. No need to patch the game, it's already translated for you! With this, the curse of Accessability is pretty much gone, and i am optimistic enough that future Touhou games will likely follow suit, so the the main reason why i rated this character so low in the past may no longer be an issue. I mean regional obscurity is still a big factor in my eyes, but at least Touhou seems like a viable choice now................

....too bad that these news came in too damn late. The first official Touhou game on Switch on English with a worldwide release was released in 2021, the game itself was released on PC 3 years before, but it suffers from the same "you gotta go out of your way to translate this ****" issue that every damn Touhou official game suffers from, so i don't count that iteration of the game. The only real other benefit i see for Touhou is that since this is the end of the Pass, and since Touhou's so damn niche, you might as well add the nichest character last.............then again Incineroar and Ken are EVERYTHING but Niche, and you can say how enexpected the rest of FP2 is, but none of the previous characters suffer from the same issues Reimu does outside of maybe, maybe Min Min and Banjo if im generous (I mean i never touched a Tekken game in my life, and i still know who Kazuya is, same goes for Sephiroth)

Honestly, this Ed Edd N Eddy joke still applies:

Want: 0%

Yeah i still couldn't care less. Honestly Touhou's concepts and genre do not appeal to me at all. A Bullet Hell Shoot Em Up series filled Moe Anime girl versions of Yokai creatures? I'll pass on that, and for those smartasses who say "ToOHUOH Is NOT MoE", this is how Touhou is literally described via Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
But even if we put pedantic definitions aside, im not a fan of Touhou mostly due to its usage of mythology i do not care about, and the gameplay of Shoot Em Ups which never were my forte. Also, even as an outsider view, i found Reimu's descritptions as a character are as unlikable as you can get for a main character, and im not gonna waste money on a character that i just wanna beat up.

The only real benefit i see for her is that the music for Touhou is awesome, no denying that (U.N Owen was Her, Night of Nights, etc) and seein how generous Zun could be, they could fill a music pack from 3 passes just for Reimu alone. But even then i woulnd't still care, i play as characters, not songs. If i wanted to listen to music i would just go to a youtube playlist.

Im probably gonna summon her because of saying this (seeing how sell FP2 has gone for me so far) but this is one way to dissapoint me as the final character, and im expecting it to end with whimper mind you.

Now, to the one indie i actually care about.............again.

Mr. Traveler:

Unfortunately, as much as it pains to sell him short, he isn't likely. Yes he is an icon among indies, beign one of the earliest successes of a large caliber coming from a small developer. But it has never gotten a sequel or spin off. Still, it has been ported to multiple systems of recent generations, it has been featured in more minor crossovers such as Blade Strangers, i guess the possibility is always there and-

-oh wait, the company that owns him did a bad thing oh no! He can't be in Smash now! IN fact, we most remove Snake and the Belmonts, Konami did bad things too! Remember #****Konami? We can't be hypocrites? How about Crapcom? Remove them too because they are greedy and bad. Remove Sonic because SEGA is an American Traitor! (don't ask) remove Joker because Atlus is............homophobe/transphobe! yeah, because one Twitter fella said so! Remove all bad companies!

In fact, we should exclude Sora since he is owned by the Walt Disney Company, the satan of companies, and we know Nintendo is innocent, they are japanese, and based japan is always innocent! (forget all the japanese companies i mentioned above you dummy!)

That was sarcasm if you couldn't tell.

Despite Quote really having one game to his belt, that game reached iconic status WOLRDWIDE, and has been referenced multiple times and been ported to basically most modern platforms. DSi, 3DS (twice) Nintendo Switch, and Steam are some examples. Quote also has become a very common icon of Indie crossovers: Blade Strangers, the Brit Trip Runner games, Crystal Crisis all feature Quote's likeness. So for this accessibility, it's not a surprise to the large majority of western gamers Quote seems to be one of the most iconic Indie characters next to Shovel Knight...................who got as an AT.

Yeah, i still think Indies are unlikely. Shantae just got as a Mii Costume so there's a good chance Quote could meet that same fate as a Gunner. Plus now with Kazuya subverting out expectations, part of me woulnd't be surprised if a Certain Fallen Child still makes into Smash despite the Funny Skeleton man already being a Mii Costume.

Want:50%

I enjoyed Cave Story ever since i was a child, and i would be okay with this inclusion. I would take him over almost all Indies not named Gunvolt. What can i say? I'm old school with my choices.

and yet, i'm not super compelled in his inclusion, probably because i'm not super supportive of a character that doesn't seem likely, unless it's someone i'm SUPER passionate about, like i was with Simon. Still, i probably would be more excited for him once he is revealed. I just hope his look is more based on his appearance in the in-game artwork found in the credits, rather than the Super-Deformed stuff.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know I'm the resident Touhou guy around here, but I don't think I have it in me to make another argument. I've said all that can be said in the previous times I've posted here, people have already said what can be said in here today, and with only one fighter left I'm feeling kinda burnt when it comes to predictions and likelihood. That being said, I will post some cool music tracks for your enjoyment while you type, chosen at semi-random.

The forefather... Foremother? The OG Indie

Chance: 20% I'm MUCH more confident in Reimu when it comes to Indie characters, not only because Reimu was first, being from the 90's, but because Touhou is ****ing massive to the point it's crossed over with the biggest IP on the planet, Hello Kitty. It has gotten conventions yearly and has at least 18 official games, it was also a big part of internet culture worldwide back in the day, people will try to claim Touhou has no Western basis but that is blatantly not true with multiple games having been released, both official and fangames put on Steam available in English. Some will try to claim Touhou has no Nintendo appearances despite again, multiple games having released on Switch, including a physical copy I can get by walking into a retailer. Hell, Reimu's also officially crossed over with Kirby through Taiko no Tatsujin, so the idea that Nintendo may not want to associate themselves with Touhou because of the different mindsets for fangames doesn't ass up either, especially as Nintendo were involved with official conventions in the past.

Want: 70% I wouldn't call myself a Touhou fan, most of my experience with the series is Luna Nights, a fantastic MetroidVania by Team Ladybug, knowing some of the meme songs and seeing fanart on twitter, though I plan on getting that CastleVania-esque game that's coming to Switch and Steam later this year, but I really do like what Reimu can bring to the table. For starters, the absolute bangers that are Touhou songs, second, Reimu's more of a grouchy character who doesn't like doing things which is very different compared to most personalities in Smash so I'd look forward to how her personality stands out here. Adding on to that I'm curious as to how she'd look. Obviously I'd prefer her Ayami Kojima looking design from said upcoming port but I wonder if they'd go for a typical anime-esque design or more like her ZUN look. Finally, I think Reimu would be pretty fun, the way I see her is that she'd have some sort of effect similar to Dark Phoenix in MvC3 where her normals also shoot a weak projectile with no hitstun, whether it's always on or an install, idk but that would create a dynamic where you fight a zoner who you can close the gap with at risk of getting absurd percentages or having to try and manoever around the projectiles to avoid damage, which sounds really cool

I swear we did Quote recently

Chance: 5% I really think Reimu's the best shot indie games have, but Cave Story is still significant enough to the point I feel it's worth discussing and considering. For starters, what gave us all these pixel art indie games harkening back to the good old days? This game, all made by 1 guy. That sounds like the kind of thing Sakurai himself would value, but my big concerns that hinder this are 1: Touhou being significantly bigger and 2: I feel Nicalis ghosting business partners means Nintendo wouldn't bother.

Want: 70% I do feel rather iffy with Nicalis but you know what they say, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Cave Story's a fascinating story in terms of game dev terms and the end result is... Pretty damn good all things considered. Knowing Sakurai he'd make Quote a zoner which ok, not the craziest thing, but he'd probably use Cave Story's leveling system. For those who don't know, beating enemies awarded EXP in the form of dorito shaped energy, collecting it would let you level up, maxing at 3, which made your weapons much better! However, getting hit would smack it out of you, weakening you significantly enough to be concerned. This sounds genuinely fun to me

My single bad opinion

Chance: 1% Again, I really don't see an indie other than Reimu happening though while Quote at least has some historic value, Team Cherry's critically acclaimed masterpiece is easily one of the biggest faces of modern indie, I believe having sold 3 million with Silksong getting the Bayo 3 and Prime 4 treatment, but if Shovel Knight and now Shantae, 2 other major players for modern indie games, end up not being playable, I kinda doubt the Knight will surpass them.

Want: 5% I just could not get into Hollow Knight personally, I didn't like how the map was handled and you needed an item to see where you were as the areas looked rather samey to me, I found the Dark Souls mechanic but with the twist of your corpse fighting back to be more of an annoyance than anything interesting and finally, the game is way too damn big, I got lost constantly which would usually be a good thing in a MetroidVania for me, but I just didn't like it. At the very least, it's a very solidly designed game that just doesn't vibe with me, I'm giving more than a zero because I do like the Knight's design lot

Split my noms between Soma and Junpei
but because Touhou is ****ing massive to the point it's crossed over with the biggest IP on the planet, Hello Kitty.
Quick note, Hello Kitty is "only" the second-most profitable. First place goes to Pokemon. Still quite an achievement, just wanna make sure everything's accurate.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Going to abstain again. As I shared in the discord, everything is going better now and pretty close to the best case scenario played out for me. So I'll be rating stuff again soon. Just don't really feel like doing a triple day at the moment

Ori x 105

zferolie

Smash Hero
What a timeline we are in where Shantae was going to be rereated but then she becomes a mii costume. Still, I love it, and I feel she will be a top contender with Dante and LLoyde and Dragonborn for next game. Now on to the other Indies.

Quote.

CHance: 10%

Yeah he is considered the grandaddy of indies, and introduced a lot of westerners to the indie scene, but I just does see his chances as that high. He honestly has the best chance as a Mii Gunner.

For me its the combination of no new games for years, very little fan demand, and a questionable company that's a tripple negitive for him. Any 1 of those would be able to work around it (Banjo had no new games for ages but fan demand got him in, There wasn't really much fan demand for Terry but his game lkegacy and constant games got him in). But Quote has to work against all these.

Want: 50%

Pure neutral on this. COuld have a cool mix of gun and ability play, maybe have some of his allies help. Not much more I can say there.

Hollow Knight.

A smash hit and very popular, and has a new game coming.... one day. Hollow Knight I feel could work well in smash and has a bunch going for him... but I feel that Hornet would make a much more interesting character to play as. Its like Kazuya vs Heihatchi. The later is almost the face of Tekken in the gaming and public eye, but Kazuya brings some more uniqueness to the game.

Sure Knight has some cool abilities, a dash, a blast of energy, his sword, his other skills he gets. But Hornet has a very unique sword, is also a main character and the future protag(I doubt Knight itself will ever appear in the series again, Hornet could just replace them as the main for any future game), Has a very unique playstyle for smash, a very aerial and mobile sword and silk user, and also honestly the better character design, and a personality that can show in smash. When the character has so much competition against a character in his own game, thats some worries. Still him being the protag of the first game and Silksong still in development hell, I can see sakurai just going with him.

The other big negitive hurting him is just how.... perfect he would be just as a mii fighter. Sure, shantae didn't fit perfectly as a brawler but they made it work. its just Knight just screams mii costume to me with Hornet being the playable character.

Again Neutral. I'd much rather have Hornet, but I wouldn't hate Knight.

Reimu Hakurei

Chance: 40%

This may seem high to some, but allow me to explain. I see the final character going one of three ways. 1st: Final character is a big blast hype crossover, someone like Crash, Rayman, or Master CHief. 2nd: Character is a 1st party nintendo character thats either a semi promotion(Pokemon rep, a zelda rep), or someone that sakurai planned in the past(CHorus Kids/Rythem girl, Ayumi), or its our first indie character as playable, of which Reimu I feel is the only Indie left in full contention.

I myself am leaning more towards the last option, hence the 40% instead of 33%, but thats just a gut feeling.

Some other big points in Reimu's favor. Her long history(being from the mid 90's and over 17 mainline games with main side and spin offs), the absolutly MASSIVE japanese presence she has(whole conventions just for touhou, thousands of fan games, books, and merh with approval from ZUN himself, many artists abd designs growing up inspired by touhou in some way), which I feel counters her lower worldwide presence, due to Japanese bias this game CLEARLY has(only 2 characters in this game are pure western, Banjo and Steve, out of the whole roster). Touhou also has had a massive year this year and last, and in fact the last few have been big but these last 2 have been massive. New games, crossovers, more offical translations coming westward. ZUN has mentioned an interest in getting in smash(not a major point but a point).

And I do want to throw in 1 tinfoil hat reason her as well. Back after Pyra and Mythra a glitch appeared, which made it that dashing a certtain way on almost every characters let you phase through projectiles. This glitch is very simular to the graze mechanic in touhou, where Reimu's character could go through projectiles as long as the white dot of her hitbox didn't touch. The fighting games translated this as you could dash through projectile shots as long as your graze meter was full.

Now we can't assume any one glitch is actually tied to a character. Most don't, and are basically gone when the new character drops... but this glitch is still in the game. I can't recall of any that stayed after a new character was released, but I could be mistaken. Again, this is just a tinfoil hat theory but I wanted to toss it here.

All in all, I don't think the excuse of no western fans hurts her that much. Her sheer popularity in japan combined with Nintendos Japanese Bias overshadows that. Like we still got a Dragon Quest character even though thats not nearly as massive as it is in japan(they even have their own pokemon go like game and MMO only in japan).

And what way to end a celebration of video games that is smash ultimate then with an Indie character whos studio is just 1 man?

With Shantae now a mii costume, Reimu is by far my most wanted. She would play super uniquely, and she would bring so much music. God the touhou music is so good, and they could even have the fan remixes from the doujin circles in the game.

Nom: Bonus Stages to fill out the stage select screen x half the noms I have. Other half goes to Donbe and Hikari

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
All in all, I don't think the excuse of no western fans hurts her that much. Her sheer popularity in japan combined with Nintendos Japanese Bias overshadows that. Like we still got a Dragon Quest character even though thats not nearly as massive as it is in japan(they even have their own pokemon go like game and MMO only in japan).
Dragon Quest is WAY more well known in the West, gets official localizations, and is actively promoted by Nintendo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Dragon Quest is WAY more well known in the West, gets official localizations, and is actively promoted by Nintendo.
Funny enough there were still countless selfproclaimed hardcore Nintendo gamers who wanted K.Rool and Banjo who claimed to have never heard of the series until the Brave leak way back when, not to mention Touhou still has an official localization for both the fan and official games released outside Japan. I don't really care for arguing but these specific objections are funny to me

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Funny enough there were still countless selfproclaimed hardcore Nintendo gamers who wanted K.Rool and Banjo who claimed to have never heard of the series until the Brave leak way back when, not to mention Touhou still has an official localization for both the fan and official games released outside Japan. I don't really care for arguing but these specific objections are funny to me
Which isn't unheard of, but still very odd. Still, it's just tiring to see people play the Dragon Quest card for every niche Japanese character ever.

Point is, that Dragon Quest is above Touhou in many regards.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wasn't saying it is a 1 to 1 comparison to touhou. I just remember seeing so many people dismissing Dragonquest for the same reason they Dismiss Touhou. Its not a good reason to dismiss someone.

And before someone says it, Sakurai did not include Ayami from Famicom detective club for melee for that reason... but this was the year 2000 he decided that. The internet wasn't much of a thing then. People are much more in tuned with what happens in japan then they were then

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I can see why people would feel the smaller Nintendo connections would be an issue, but I dunno, I feel like people are kinda overestimating how big Dragon Quest is in the West. Sure, it got those localizations, but I feel like people only heard it as just "This is a big influential JRPG in Japan" or "This Slime is a homage to the DQ Slime" without actually knowing anything about it. Heck, there was even a point where Squeenix stopped localizing them and Nintendo was the only reason a good few games were localized in the first place. Not saying Touhou's any bigger, but I'm not really sure if the gap's as big as some people say.

As for the localizations on Touhou's side... Yeah, it's weird. Touhou got where it was because of the fanworks and not raw sales and commercial success, so the main source of exposure worldwide is stuff like Bad Apple. Trying to measure popularity something like that is just... I dunno where I'd even start :drshrug:. It's just a weird measurement of popularity (Itself already a difficult metric to analyze) that doesn't really have any equivalents in Smash, and I think we won't come to an agreement on it until Reimu actually does make it into Smash, be it Ultimate or later down the line.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Octoling x378
Mii Costume: 2B x330
[Rerate] Louie x325
Meat Boy x305
Junpei (Zero Escape) x285
Pyramid Head x260
Concept: Danganronpa protagonist x255

250 - 201

Corvo Attano x250
Senator Armstrong x245
Tetra x230
Concept: Virtual idols like Hatsune Miku x220
Gunvolt x220

200 - 151

Stage: Bowser's Castle x192
Sackboy x185
[Rerate] Tails x185
Kaede Akamatsu x180
Ratchet & Clank x180
Boss: Rayquaza x175

150 - 101

Echo (Bowser) x143
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x128
Boss: Ender Dragon x128
D.Va x115
Fulgore x112
[Rerate] Gene x110

100 - 51

Stage: Tetris x100
Concept: Crazy Taxi character x100
Giygas x90
Legends Trainer x90
Ori x85
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
Echo (Olimar) x66
Magolor x65
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x65
Ghirahim x60
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai x55
Soma Cruz x55

50 - 25

[Rerate] Agumon x50
Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x50
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
E.M.M.I. x40
[Rerate] Eggman x36
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x30
Joe Random (MLB: The Show) x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

[Rerate] Sora x24
Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Bonus Fighter x20
Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
[Rerate] Ezio Auditore da Firenze x15
Lugia x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10
Omori x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
Concept: Challenger Pack with more than 15 spirits x5
DJ Octavio x5
Off The Hook x5
Firebrand x1

We got a bit of a shakeup in the top seven! Junpei goes from third to fifth, Louie from fifth to third, and Corvo Attano and Senator Armstrong have been replaced by Pyramid Head and Concept: Danganronpa protagonist in sixth and seventh respectively.

Soma Cruz cuts past 50 noms.

Eggman collects over 25 noms.

Your new nominees for today are Ezio Auditore da Firenze, with 15 noms to his name, and DJ Octavio and Off The Hook, each with 5.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Momma and Poppa Indie

Chance: 16%
A brief introduction: Reimu Hakurei is the protagonist of Touhou, an indie franchise dating back to the 90s which is frequently considered to be the first indie game. There's tons of games, way too many to count really. It has a massive fandom in Japan and a niche following in the rest of the world - though overall I'd say its awareness factor outside its homeland is, on average, about as much as King of Fighters (it depends on the age of who you're asking). Touhou is also the codifier of the bullet hell genre, an offshoot of the shmup that actually might have surpassed the original in popularity in the modern day. Anecdotally, Touhou has crossed over with major IP, and developer ZUN has gone on the record to state that he'd like to put Touhou in Smash.

Quote, meanwhile, is the protagonist of Cave Story. Cave Story is a reto-styled Metroidvania that took the world by storm upon its release. It is usually cited as the game that started the indie scene due to its massive success, quality parallel to what a major studio would put out, and one-man dev team. To this day it continues to be ported to modern systems and Quote and Curly show up in many indie crossovers.

So what's new? Well, Shantae got the shaft-ae (I'm the king of comedy y'all). I'd say that leaves only these two as unimpeded, no questions asked indie hopefuls. There is a possibility that Undertale gets a second chance or that Shovel Knight is our one AT promotion but barring that, it's the old-timers' battle here. The last spot seems like the perfect place to put an indie as they're smaller characters by definition.

I am curious though if, knowing the backlash that they'd garner as FP11, Nintendo would still put an indie in that slot. They're generally very protective of indies. But it is still Smash and I'm sure many devs would just at the opportunity, massive backlash be damned. I'll leave this as a maybe.

Anyway, I'm putting them at equal chance because it's anyone's game. One has seniority, having more games and being owned by a Japanese dev as its pros. The other has imo a stronger legacy and is also owned by an actual corporation that puts out other games. Neither of them had any noticeable demand before the Sans Mii Costume imo so that's not going to tip the needle.

Both of them are incredibly deserving of fighter status. Their accomplishments aren't just notable for indies, they're notable on a normal scale. Their content and movesets would be great. I say go for it.

The actual worst name for any character ever

Chance: 5%
Hollow Knight was very successful critically and commercially. Team Cherry's making a sequel that Nintendo has marketed quite a bit.

At best, I think it's too soon for Hollow Knight. It came out in 2018. I don't think it's that clear cut if it's a game with lasting appeal or just another appointed "indie darling of the year". We've had some recent characters as DLC but Persona 5 is the biggest thing to happen to JRPGs in recent memory and Byleth is, you know, from Fire Emblem. Even when you compare Hollow Knight to other indies I think it falls short.

There's also the fact that Silksong is... let's say taking its time. If there was an unlikely case to be made for promotional selection, it's definitely not happening now that the game is still a no-show.

I haven't played Hollow Knight. I have many friends who have, and who I've seen play the game. I don't doubt its quality but personally it's not for me. The artstyle strikes me as bland and uninspired and while I hate to knock a game for that, at the end of the day you have to like a game's look if you're gonna be playing it for hours on end.

Regardless I don't think it's earned a place in Smash. Maybe it's a matter of time, maybe it isn't. We'll see. Hopefully the team can pull through and deliver the sequel while the iron's still hot and then we might have a franchise on our hands.

Noms: Octoling
Master Chief prediction: 6.42%
Crash prediction: 8.51%
I'm seeing very high predictions for these two and I'm getting scared.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I haven't played Shovel
Uhhhh wrong Knight game. As for the aetstyle comment, I'm very confused, the game is basically Scrimbo Bimblo's version of Berserk with bleak enviroments (though yeah they blend way too much lmao) and some rather gross enemies. I'm gonna guess you meant something else but this was the word you thought of

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
In my opinion, despite the legacy of being the first indie he…doesn’t have a lot of other merits. Him being absent while most other indie hopefuls have been giving some nod somewhere down the line is far from a boon and doesn’t really count towards diminishing the competition when there’s no reason to assume there’s an indie slot there. These big indies that have gotten in before him in some way are either absolute ballot behemoths (Shovel Knight and Shantae) or are arguably the farthest an indie creator and its cast has come to making a mainstream pop culture mark (Sans and Undertale). Then there’s the question of whether Minecraft Steve didn’t take the position of indie slot and I just don’t see the narrative of Quote remaining as last man standing, but rather that it’s gonna be a very steep hill to climb for any indie to have when Shantae’s seniority, company with the willingness to work with Nintendo that can almost be called slutty and sheer ballot popularity got the nod as costume, Shovel Knight‘s crossover presence in everything and your mom’s microwave-oven and again massive ballot presence yielded him an AT slot.

Fighter’s Pass characters have focussed on the big boys, and Quote isn’t the best for the job, just the first.

Want: 20%
I never played his game so to me he wouldn’t be that interesting actually. Might be petty or whatever but hey it’s want score and I just really don’t care for him.

Reimu
Touhou is a different beast than anything we’ve seen before, but it’s a beast regardless and thus a powerful dark horse. Although I haven’t experienced it first hand, Touhou’s popularity seems to be as if the Yokai Watch craze never went away and the special copyright it has going on means that the fanbase keeps the series up which makes it quite timeless. This is the kind of factor that can give her a pegasus in the indie horse race thanks to its massive Japanese popularity.

Touhou is a recognizeable name, but for me it’s mostly something other people talk about. I’d be happy for them but I have absolutely no grasp on the series whatsoever. (Which seems to be a feature, not a bug)

Speaking of bugs…

Elderbug’s Friend
Chance: 2%
I love the little guy, I really do and he does have some Nintendo presence and marketing favors thanks to Silksong being showcased at E3. However, as I mentioned in my Quote write-up you really need some good specs if you want to get in over Shantae, Shovel Knight or Undertale and this li’l bug doesn’t have the legacy or popularity to back up a full slot. Quote at least has the honor of being the first big indie, but Little Ghost here doesn’t have that redeemable quality.

Want: 70%
That said, I like Hollow Knight so I want it.

Noms: Off The Hook

Master Chief: 17%
Crash: 23.5%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Uhhhh wrong Knight game. As for the aetstyle comment, I'm very confused, the game is basically Scrimbo Bimblo's version of Berserk with bleak enviroments (though yeah they blend way too much lmao) and some rather gross enemies. I'm gonna guess you meant something else but this was the word you thought of
I knew I'd mix up the two lmao. Too many knights.

As for the aesthetic comment, HK just falls into a trap that I feel many indie games fall nowadays where it's just too basic and minimalistic. It's not bad but I feel like I've seen a million games with that look already and it doesn't capture me at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
an indie trio? gonna have to abstain on reimu and quote, not played their games

little ghost
chances: 10% im not feeling any indie character. granted i think hollow knight's popularity would make him a frontrunner for an indie character but i just don't think we're getting any. dunno why but thats just what my gut says. i think best we could hope for is a costume or a silksong spirit event. ive never been to sure about an indie character, though i think i gave him fifty last time, but over time its gotten less and less. though i think when smash 6 comes around perhaps an indie character would be possible.

want: 100% ive become very fond of him. im not usually one for dark or famously hard games but the art style of this one won me over. all the moves you can get in game through upgrades and badges would lead to a stand out moveset i feel. just about any area in that game would be a great stage, my choice would be city of tears, especially if they capture the art style. honestly the pros far out way the cons the way i see it, without doubt a top indie pick for me.

put any noms ive earned towards spirit events continue after pass

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Man, I'm late today. Forgot this day started yesterday and didn't find the time to post untill now. I'll just be rating merely the Knight now, since I easily care more about them than the other two.

Hollow boi
This is the highest score I've ever honored the Knight and while I'll admit it's mostly a gut feeling and I'm biased, I honestly see them as a sleeper pick. Hugely acclaimed indie game that's been around since early 2017 that eventually became a milion seller, it managed to grab Nintendo's attention early and had it and Silksong receive special promotion at E3 Treehouse live broadcasts. A Japanese following definitely exists as well. It's likely no Undertale over there but also doesn't have a Rayman or early Shovel Knight problem.

That may not sound good enough to some but I think timing could play in it's favor. Popularity was likely at its hight in 2019 the year Volume 2 was being put together. Silksong was shown of that year, back when it wasn't yet viewed to be in development limbo. (I disagree btw that Hornet would be a threat to the Knight's chances since Silksong is still far from ready and I think it's obvious they would rep Team Cherry with the game that put them on the map.) It could be argued that the game wasn't yet old enough or hadn't proved itself yet by that time, yet Joker seemed to get his invitation merely two years after P5's release and (from what I can gather, take w grain of salt...) sales figures by the time of that reveal were very similar too than compared to the amout HK had sold in that same amount of time. My point being is that if P5 is big enough for Smash then so is Hollow Knight and the Knight may have the same now or never/strike while the iron's hot catch that Joker had. And yeah, I know Persona was an established series long before 5 but it definitely wouldn't be in Smash without that game so I don't think it makes much of a difference. If in some other timeline that game was released as an original IP yet was just as popular I could see the Joker inclusion still happening anyhow.

How big of a deal Hollow Knight is doesn't matter because it's an indie which are doomed to be nothing more than Mii costumes at best, or atleast that is what people say. People said the Knight just screamed Mii Costume and they still do. Now I get where they were coming from. I honestly had shoved my hopes under the rug after that Sans costume and after Cuphead I braced for that Knight costume to happen in the next pass. Min Min happened and no Knight costume yet. Was it releasing with Steve? Also no. Sephiroth was also a no show. Pyra and Mythra? crickets Surely they must come with Kazuya right? Oh look, another indie costume with a music track... and it's Shantae. Well, for somebody that just "screamed" Mii Costume it's taking a suprising long time for them to be revealed.

Alright alright, I'll take off that aluminum hat. A Knight costume can still happen with CP11 and slap me across the face. Who knows, maybe Hollow Knight content will be obmitted entirely, those mad men! But it's hard to not get a little excited to see one of your favorites life to be speculated to be the final character. And honestly, I don't entirely buy that indie characters are automatically banned from the roster. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to have such a restriction when they promote that market to such an extend. I know some people hate this term but I see it as the next fan-rule waiting to be shot down. I'm not saying a Indie character has to happen, just that they could happen. Finally I'll aknowledge there's still competition. Undertale in particular could make a comeback and, yeah, they could also go for Quote or Reimu, though I'd like to believe they're fixated on Hollow Knight at the moment. Add the Knight now. You can add Reimu any time.

Keeping it short. This would be a pipedream come true. Hollow Knight may be indie but it definitely feels grand enough for a fighter pack. I really like that game alot and I would say it would fit well as our indie representative. The Knight would just fit so well in and they would be my definitive main. I've kinda made the Knight in Smash a bit of my persona on this site so I'm kinda commited to this.

Crash: 13.86%
Master Chief: 16.21%
Bandana Dee x10

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Yep, we're doing this again. I'm double abstaining on Quote and The Knight (primarily because I'm not familiar enough with Hollow Knight to make a fair rating, and I may also be a bit biased considering who else is in this rating), but that third one? Hoo, boy...

Reimu Hakurei, the eternally impoverished shrine maiden

Chance: 40%

Reimu's situation hasn't really changed much from before, with the one exception being that, as of April 22, 2021, we can FINALLY bin that stupid "She hasn't had an official game on Nintendo consoles" argument against her, given how Antinomy of Common Flowers (an official game, one of the Fighting Game spinoffs) is on the Switch. Of all the notable indies, I'd argue she's the most likely one. The real question is whether or not we actually get an indie as the final challenger pack, but if we do get an indie for the last challenger pack,
it is almost certainly going to be Reimu, especially when we consider that Shantae and Shovel Knight are dead in the water (Shovel Knight because he's an AT, Shantae because she's a DLC Mii Costume).

Want: The want rating is so high it broke the scale. (Treat this as 100%)
Said it before, I'll say it again as many times as I need to- Touhou as a series absolutely deserves a spot in Smash, between its godlike soundtrack, wide array of colourful characters, representing a new genre and having a massive legacy spanning nearly 25 years, Touhou has a lot to offer for Smash, and Reimu is the most likely candidate for the role, given she's the main character and has starred in her own series' fighting game spinoffs before (so moveset potential is the easiest part). In case the last three times she's shown up hasn't drilled it in already, to sum it up bluntly, Reimu is my most wanted character for Smash, period.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As much as I like Reimu, I do feel like a decent chunk of people overestimate her chances when it comes to indies. Quote has solid legacy for indies as a whole, and there's also a good couple of indies with both notoriety and recency like Madeline, the Knight, and depending on your stance towards ATs, Shovel Knight. Yes, Touhou has it's fanworks and seniority, but that doesn't invalidate all the other indies. Not to mention how it's a fair bit more unorthodox than most other choices as a series.

I dunno, I just think people are getting ahead of themselves a little :drshrug:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Touhou has it's fanworks and seniority, but that doesn't invalidate all the other indies. Not to mention how it's a fair bit more unorthodox than most other choices as a series.
If it were just fanworks and seniority, sure. Touhou is also hella popular in eastern territories, though (to the point where it has its own dedicating convention in Japan called Reitaisai, simply to stop Touhou fanworks from taking over Comiket every year) and has an Earthbound-esque cult following over here.

I'd also like to point out that Unorthodox=/=bad. Otherwise we wouldn't have even gotten characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt or Steve.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
As much as I like Reimu, I do feel like a decent chunk of people overestimate her chances when it comes to indies. Quote has solid legacy for indies as a whole, and there's also a good couple of indies with both notoriety and recency like Madeline, the Knight, and depending on your stance towards ATs, Shovel Knight. Yes, Touhou has it's fanworks and seniority, but that doesn't invalidate all the other indies. Not to mention how it's a fair bit more unorthodox than most other choices as a series.

I dunno, I just think people are getting ahead of themselves a little :drshrug:
I think the fact she’s unorthodox actually makes her more likely. Neither Shantae or Shovel Knight made the cut so far so I don’t see anyone with the usual credentials outpacing them and make the roster on merits that aren’t Touhou’s minmaxed popularity, It keeps her in a race for a position that I don’t think exists anymore in playable form.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If it were just fanworks and seniority, sure. Touhou is also hella popular in eastern territories, though (to the point where it has its own dedicating convention in Japan called Reitaisai, simply to stop Touhou fanworks from taking over Comiket every year) and has an Earthbound-esque cult following over here.

I'd also like to point out that Unorthodox=/=bad. Otherwise we wouldn't have even gotten characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt or Steve.
I think the fact she’s unorthodox actually makes her more likely. Neither Shantae or Shovel Knight made the cut so far so I don’t see anyone with the usual credentials outpacing them and make the roster on merits that aren’t Touhou’s minmaxed popularity, It keeps her in a race for a position that I don’t think exists anymore in playable form.
In terms of how the series is handled, not as a fighter. The official games are often overlooked, and stuff like fan covers and animations get most of the attention instead. I see Touhou as more of an outside choice compared to more conventional indies, but more than anything I don't see her as a near-certainty for indies. The way I see it, it's not about who's the biggest possible indie, just which indies are big enough.

More than anything I just don't want to get over-focused on one option and fall into the trap of "If we get (X), it has to be (Y)." I prefer to keep my options open.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
In terms of how the series is handled, not as a fighter. The official games are often overlooked, and stuff like fan covers and animations get most of the attention instead. I see Touhou as more of an outside choice compared to more conventional indies, but more than anything I don't see her as a near-certainty for indies. The way I see it, it's not about who's the biggest possible indie, just which indies are big enough.

More than anything I just don't want to get over-focused on one option and fall into the trap of "If we get (X), it has to be (Y)." I prefer to keep my options open.
That’s partially my point. Touhou is an outside choice for indies, which gives it a chance when a specific indie-dedicated slot doesn’t end up happening. Of course there’s always a disclaimer of the idea that it could always be another indie or whatever (and with Undertale and Shovel Knight that’s a big slice of the chance pie not reserved to Reimu) but Touhou and Undertale are big enough to get a chance even if the intention isn’t directly to give a slot to an indie character. I feel Quote, Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight are all worthy additions in the vein of “grandpa of indie, king of indies and darling of indies” or whatever, while Reimu and Undertale can fend for themselves even if the pool isn’t narrowed down to the pre-requisite of “If its an indie..”

If its X, its Y doesn’t apply here, it‘s “Even if X doesn’t happen, Y has merits outside of it.”. But if Sakurai were to seek out an indie slot, Touhou’s outsider status can definitely cause it to lose out to the more conventional Shovel Knight/Undertale/Quote whatever. Hope that makes sense!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That’s partially my point. Touhou is an outside choice for indies, which gives it a chance when a specific indie-dedicated slot doesn’t end up happening. Of course there’s always a disclaimer of the idea that it could always be another indie or whatever (and with Undertale and Shovel Knight that’s a big slice of the chance pie not reserved to Reimu) but Touhou and Undertale are big enough to get a chance even if the intention isn’t directly to give a slot to an indie character. I feel Quote, Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight are all worthy additions in the vein of “grandpa of indie, king of indies and darling of indies” or whatever, while Reimu and Undertale can fend for themselves even if the pool isn’t narrowed down to the pre-requisite of “If its an indie..”

If its X, its Y doesn’t apply here, it‘s “Even if X doesn’t happen, Y has merits outside of it.”. But if Sakurai were to seek out an indie slot, Touhou’s outsider status can definitely cause it to lose out to the more conventional Shovel Knight/Undertale/Quote whatever. Hope that makes sense!
Yeah, that clears things up. Touhou's impact and size is more focused on itself than the indie industry as a whole; As a series it's arguably quite a bit bigger than, say, Cave Story, but Cave Story has more legacy in the indie scene directly. As such, if we have to order the indies I think Touhou would run more parallel to the conventional choices rather than being placed in a specific tier.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yeah, that clears things up. Touhou's impact and size is more focused on itself than the indie industry as a whole; As a series it's arguably quite a bit bigger than, say, Cave Story, but Cave Story has more legacy in the indie scene directly. As such, if we have to order the indies I think Touhou would run more parallel to the conventional choices rather than being placed in a specific tier.
Yeah, I gave her 10% because Touhou can fit in on terms that aren’t indie-dependent, but that only puts her as a dark horse in a sea of big choices while she doesn’t automatically get in if Nintendo sends out an order to Sakurai to make an indie character or Sakurai sets aside an indie slot for himself.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Dramatically crashes into the ground next to the door

Dramatically opens the door so hard that the door breaks

I'm back, *******.

First of all, I've been away from this thread for a bit because I needed a bit of a break from speculation and all, because while I deeply apreciated the pre-E3 chaos, it was also a bit tiring. I wanted to make my comeback for the Kazuya apreciation, but as it turns out, my school and intership makes me unable to play Smash until friday evening at the earliest, so that kinda got thrown off a cliff, like Kazuya when he was a kid.

But anyway, before starting, I'm going to lower the overall scores I'm giving again because as we know, there's only one character left, and I thik that I'm really going to a bit more harsh compared to most, but I feel like it's just the reality we're in right now.

Indie Thunder, Featuring Shantae as a Mii costume

I have already done that joke several times, and it has yet to get unfunny to me

Quote, the protagonist of the aclaimed indie game from 2004, Cave Story, is in my opinion decently likely, though with the low number of remaining spot being of one, scores are pretty much bounded to be lower now. Still, Quote has quite a bit to his name. First of all, I will say that no, just because he's an indie character doesn't mean that he's automatically out, because that logic is just weird to me, and while you can point to the miis of Sans, Cuphead, and more recently Shantae, there's the distinction that those miis were chosen by Sakurai, while the fighters are chosen by Nintendo, though Nintendo still has to aprove. So, would Nintendo choose an indie character, and would Sakurai aprove? I don't see why not, especialy since each indie character would be a case by case basis rather than just regrouping them all as one. Could said indie character be Quote? Yes, after all, he got quite a legacy, is pretty popular, and has presence on many platforms including Switch. The issue of Nicalis ghosting Nintendo could be problematic, because while Nintendo dealt with worse than Nicalis on many basis, it doesn't change the fact that the ceo is a prick, and that wanting to collaborating with him on something as big as smash could be something that Nintendo doesn't want, though the pros of Quote are still pretty good overall. But it's true that Nintendo dealt with worse (hello Dragon Quest composer who has very controversial opinions about World War II), so it shouldn't be that much of a problem, even if he seems more problematic on a personnal level rather than a buisiness level, even then the idea of having something to do with Smash should be good neough to keep him in check. But as to why Nintendo wouldn't want Quote in Smash, simple enough, there's many other potential characters, and while Quote has a good footing in gaming, it's also not massive, and it also doesn't seem that Quote is going to get a brand new big game anytime soon even if he has quite a lot of cameos in indies.

A neutral want, because I have still yet to play Cave Story, and while it does look fun, I still have quite a lot on my backlog that appeals to me more right now, but eventually, I'll play it, maybe. He could have a fun moveset, probably, and a nice stage for sure, and probably good music, but other than that I have nohting else to say about him.

Wait, you're not the Hollow Knight? Never has been. clocks gun

Chance: 3%

Well well well, here's an interesting one for sure. While Hollow Knight is on the more recent side of indie series, especialy compared to the other 2 indies being rated alongside him, he still has some stuff going for him. One of them is that there is a direct sequel to Hollow Knight that's already beloved, Silksong, from which we have yet to receive news since quite a while ago, but the fact that Hollow Knight already has a series is pretty good for the Knight, especialy since it just solidifies Hollow Knight as one of the most famous indie series, after the already sucessfull first game. Not just that, but one very good plus that the Knight has is that Nintendo is interested by the Hollow Knight series and Team Cherry, by featuring them as one of their important collaborators on one of their E3 panels in I htink 2019. Hollow Knight is also popular on Switch, and for many good reasons, both coming from the game itself and the switch. Now, there's the problem that the Knight is probably a bit on the lower side of priority, since there's just bigger than him (and by that I don't mean blockbuster characters) due to things like legacy, because while the Knight already has quite a bit, it's also still not that much, and while Silksong being in development since 2019 could have made Nintendo go toward having the Knight in Smash, I alos think that it's pretty unlikely, even if still not inplausible.

Want: 80%

So yeah, Hollow Knight is pretty darn good, and while you could have very lengthy debate about if it should be the standard for Metroidvanias onward (the fact that the game is way longer on an average basis than most of it's genre by itself is very debatable if it's a quality or flaw, since one of the strength of metroidvanias is high replayability that gets faster and faster the more you play, hence the usual 10 hours playtime on a first playtrough of the genre compared to Hollow Knight's 25+ hours without it's dlc, Hollow Knight vs Metroid Dread is a debate I'll have with myself after I'll have played Dread). It's incredibly fun and based on both of your exploration and combat skills to a very high level, which I apreaciate a lot in a game. The game has a great atmosthere, especialy the music, it's looks good, the Knight could have a very fun albeit basi moveset (which isn't a bad thing), and the stage could just be great.

The Crimson Slasher

Touhou as a series is very weird in many ways, shapes, and forms. While we don't have sales number to have an aproximate of it's popularity, something to note is that retail stores in Japan very commonly sell the windows titles, which would just make the sales of the series confusing beyond reason if we did have them. But it's not like Touhou is a series that works by common sense in the first place, like, ZUN literaly started making games because he saw one of his friends in college do it and though that he could do that too, bought a book about coding in C despite barely touching a compute in his life beforehand, and then trough sheer force of will, somehow made a game which sold 30 copies at a Comiket, which continues to expand today, 25 years after the series first released. So yeah, Touhou is old, with it having either already being 25, or soon being 25 depending on how you count it (basically, the first game was finished in 1995, first shown publically in 1996, and released in 1997). And ever since 2004 it got a biannual fan convention (except recently due to Covid), because it took over Comiket in a way that no one even think was possible, so it was an emmergency measure, and it still did not stop Touhou from being a dominant force a Comiket for a very long time that is still on-going, even if it's not th enumber 1 at Comiket anymore. To this day, Touhou continues to prosper, in great part due to the absutrd ammount of fan-content the series get, and also because of how absurdly creative the fanbase is, and it's not just average quality either, we get stuff like of this level even today
So yeah, there's many reasons ras to why the fanbase still prospers to this day. And while you could say that the Touhou series wouldn't be nearly as known if it wasn't for the fanbase, yeah, same can be said of many series really, since fanbase is the lifeblood of a series. And it's not like all the stuff that the fanbase does would exist if it wasn't for the games existing in the first place.

Now that this is said, I don't think I need to elaborate about Touhou in Japan any further, since at this point we all know that it's very popular, even if on a level lower compared to Dragon Quest or Pokemon, it's still massive enough to have a direct collaboration with Hello Kitty, rhe second hightest grossing media series in the entire world, and you can also argue that Bea and Alister are in a way a reference to Youmu, a popular Touhou character. But enough about Japan, let's talk about not Japan, in fact let's also not talk about the rest of Asia since it's a pretty known fact that Touhou is very popular there too. Let's talk about the west.

So, Touhou really became known in the west thanks to 4chan, which is very according to the confusing popularity the series has. Touhou is, in fact, very popular on 4chan, being a stapple of both /v and the reason the /jp board was created, since it was just flloding /v and other boards way too much, which was just history repeating itself, considering that Touhou got banned from 2chan (4chan's big brother) for probably similar reasons. And while it's not as dominant as it used to be, it's still extremly present, in fact, a picture of Reimu getting possessed in Touhou 17 was big enough so that 4chan crashed. That's right, Touhou got 4chan to crash. More specifically, a picture of Reimu got 4chan to crash. For comparaison, the FBI actively tried multiple times to get the site to shut down, and comicaly failed every times. A picture of Reiu is more powerfull than the FBI, according to 4chan powerscaling, which is downright hilarious, and also confusing for many reasons.

But of course, it's not the only presence that Touhou has in the west, with it having a niche in many sites, notably with art sites since there's just so many characters to draw fanarts of. But especialy, Touhou got a part in the west thanks to late 2000s and early 2010s eme culture with notably Bad Apple, Ronald McDonald Insanity, Iosys, and more. And while it's not mainstream by any strecht of means, it still got a notable presence, and to this day it's still very fairly popular, unlike what you would expect from a series where you need to search an english patch to understand what the characters are saying if you don't speak japanese that does not have a backing from Smash Bros. And while that's not a good overall sample, on Reddit, the Touhou subreddit currently has 81.5k members, which is almost as much as the Kirby subreddit with 86.9k members. You would kinda expect Kirby to beat Touhou by quite a margin there, but surpsisingly enough, it's very close.

Also Touhou got added as a video game topic on twitter pretty recently, which is something interesting, to say the least.

So yeah, while it's far more popular in Japan/Asia, overall, Touhou is surpsingly popular in the rest of the world, despite how many stuff you have to go trough to play it, and also despite how Touhou is not a mainstream game in it's genre, as bullet hell aren't for everyone, I'd even say that smhups are one of the nichest genre in gaming (though Touhou is very good for begining bullet hell games in easy mode).

Now, would Nintendo want a part of that weirdly sized pie? And the answer is not something we have, but from what we know: probably, considering that Nintendo went to Reitaisai in 2016
But also how according to one of ZUN's friend who helps him for legal stuff, Nintendo went to him and said that they would be happy to collaborate with him on Touhou stuff if ports were to happen, and while it's extremly similar to Dante's situation before he got miied, it's also more concrete since we know that Nintendo directly went to ZUN for htat, and while it's no guarantee, it's still very concrete.

Also the graze glitch still lives, which I'm pretty sure doesn't do anything at this point, but I think that it's just funny that it's still alive.

But in the end, what goes against Reimu is very similar to what goes against Quote and the Knight, though I would say to a far lesser extant.

But to resume it, Touhou is very confusingly big, and Nintendo already showed interest in it at least twice, which is pretty logical considering that Touhou is one of the biggest untapped gold mines in medias as a whole in my opinion, since as a reminder, a majority of this comes from fans, not actualy publicity, because ZUN prefers using publicity to advertise beer.

If the massive write-up about a lot of things Touhou related and that my profile picture did not hint at it, I am a pretty massive Touhou fan, and Reimu is also my most wanted character for Smash, a big part of it coming from how she could have an amazing moveset taking inspiration from both the mainline bullet hell games but also the canon fighting games she apeared in, but also because of the amazing music that she could bring to Smash, it's quite literaly incredible that there's not only so much but also so incredible tracks in this video game series mad eby one drunk japanese man. But on top of that, Touhou would also represent things more related the the fans of gaming, what they can do, and what they do, and Reimu really is the character that would represent that the most, considering how the term doujin itself means fanmade. Not to mention that Touhou as a series, and it's characters means a lot to me. So yeah, Reimu getting in Smash, especialy as the last dlc fight, would be absolutely incredible for me, even if a big part of the smash fanbase would go into big rage mode, but hey, that's to ne expected at this point.

Predictions:

Crash Bandicoot: 23.4%

Master Chief: 16.8%

Nominations:

Virtual idols like Miku x everything I got from this

Last edited:
Top Bottom