• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Gonna abstain on Hornet, since a lot of the logic for the Hollow Knight costume applies to Hornet as well. Though, Hornet has the added issue of not being the main character of her franchise. True, she'll be the protagonist of Silksong, but I can't see Sakurai or Nintendo going for her before the Knight himself. As great as Hornet is, the Knight is still the face of the franchise. Thohgu I have no experience with Hollow Knight so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Nominations:
Concept: Civilization series stage with music (Standalone) x5

Predictions:
Gnar - 2.67%
You are correct, don't worry.

Taking what people said, I guess the only edge that she has over Knight is that while Knight's charms are mostly passive buffs similar to Monado arts, Hornet's tools are 'active' abilities which might create some new mechanic. At least no one said no to that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Those are good points, and I can't say anything about that.
Seeing all these zeros on chances and wants... I guess I was delusional about thinking that she'll get in as a playable.
Eh, there's no harm in dreaming. You should never be ashamed about wanting a character that you love in Smash, even if it seems impossible. When Geno can be one of the most demanded characters, the sky's the limit to what can become a big Smash want. Be vocal about why you think the character would be a good addition, and eventually you'll win people over.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Eh, there's no harm in dreaming. You should never be ashamed about wanting a character that you love in Smash, even if it seems impossible. When Geno can be one of the most demanded characters, the sky's the limit to what can become a big Smash want. Be vocal about why you think the character would be a good addition, and eventually you'll win people over.
Thanks, really.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hornet:

Chance: 0% - I gotta echo the sentiment that I have a difficult time seeing Hornet being our first indie character, while she stars in an upcoming game that Nintendo are pretty involved in promoting, I genuinely don't believe that means much for 3rd party characters. The Knight is already very unlikely as is, yet I think he'd probably still be prioritized over Hornet, considering the first game is still relatively fresh it just makes sense to go with the original lead character.

Want: 100% - As I've said the previous two times we've rated Hollow Knight stuff, I'd love to get any kind of content from the game in Smash, even something as small as a Spirit, so I'd obviously be ecstatic about getting a character. I would slightly prefer The Knight, but I don't really care about competition within a franchise that's so unlikely to even get a character in the first place, so I'd be extremely happy either way.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Horned?

Chance: 0%
Out of of all third-party DLC that we've gotten so far, only one could be considered a shill pick, and even then, that's a bit of a stretch. I really don't see us getting an indie character that's mostly there to advertise a game that isn't out yet.

Want: Abstain
Don't really know much about Hollow Knight, other than the fact the series' general aesthetic doesn't really appeal to me. Not gonna rate want.

Predicting Gwar to get around 0.25%

Nominating Concept: A New Zelda character x5.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Hornet

Chance - 0% - The big problem with Hornet is that she may not even be complete. In addition to the obvious question of why she would be chosen over the Knight, it's early enough for Hornet's full abilities to not be set in stone. Combined with the Knight seemingly being more requested, this is unlikely at all.

Want - 75% - I still haven't gotten around to playing my copy of Hollow Knight yet. Still, it's a good game from what I hear, and I'm eager to try it out. I'd much rather the Knight, but I'll take her if I must.

Predictions

Gnar - 0.13% - Not likely...

Nominations

Nippon Ichi rep X5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Gnar from League of Legends.

Predict Segata Sanshiro from Sega.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Gnar/LoL mood:

I believe now’s the time to move to Gnar?
Like I said before, I end days based on activity. I wouldn't really ask for the day to be over unless their hasn't been a rating in 12 hours or so.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Double 0

Why would would this little critter be chosen over the hundreds of other league of legends characters. Why would we get a character in general. The series lacks a definitive mascot and I have no connection to the company so there's no appeal there. And there's nothing from this franchise that appeals to me in the context of Smash.

Nominate someone who isn't the star of their own x5

Predictions.... Segata? I'm a little surprised he was even allowed. 0%

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So this is where 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus 's old avatar comes from (for reference it used to be this pic of Gnar)

I don't see us getting a League of Legends rep with Riot Games being Western-based and nether LoL nor Riot Games having any connection to Nintendo. Even if we did get a LoL character, more popular characters like Teemo would definitely have priority. From what I could find, Gnar is not popular at all and hasn't even appeared on the various top 10/20 lists that I've seen. This would be like Numel getting into Smash before Pikachu.

Want: 0%
I never really cared about League of Legends but based on what I've seen I'd rather have Teemo or Ashe. Gnar just doesn't really do much for me plus there are a ton of other series I'd much prefer before LoL.

Segata chance prediction: 0.1% (well this is sure to be... a day...)

Nominations:
Axel Stone x10

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Hornet
Hate to say it, but without the Knight getting in first, the Hornet from Daytona has a better chance.

Want: 10%
Not huge on Hollow Knight, but wouldn't mind.

Gnar
If anyone from LoL's getting in, it's probably Ashe.

Put simply, gimme Smite or Awesomenauts or Dota any day, but not League.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Gnar
Abstain. I never ever played LoL in my life. The only thing I know about LoL is Kindred, Blitzcrank, and that there are tons of characters. Since I barely know anything about these characters, it's hard for me to judge the chances.

Segata Sanshiro: 0.12%

Noms: Saki Amamiya x5

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Gnar

Double 0
If a character from LoL gets in, it's not going to be Gnar. Teemo would have much better luck already. As for want, I never really enjoyed playing Gnar. He always felt "dysfunctional" to me. You're squishy ranged then at some point you're bulky melee... but you can't fully control when that happens. Building for that tends to be annoying too. I won't go deeper, not the point here. All there is to say is that I didn't like playing him, I wouldn't like playing him in Smash and he wouldn't even be in Smash anyway as he's far from first in line. Not even top 10.

Predictions: Segata Sanshiro - 1%

Nominations: Junko & Monokuma x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Grawr xd
Double zeroes
Being an individual LoL hero would mean he'd have to compete with all the other hundreds of them. Unless Gnar is supposed to be one of the most significant, it would take extreme luck for him to be picked. And that's if we're getting a LoL character to begin with. With heavy competition from other western third-parties, lack of Nintendo presence and little demand for it, I can't see it happening.
Personally, I don't think I'll ever dip my toes into LoL. Looks like a complicated mess to me, and it's not like I'm unfamiliarwith RTS's. I also wouldn't want some generic individual hero with no legacy or impact to take up one of the five remaining spots for this fighters pass when there are so many better choices.

No third-parties in the pass x5
Segata: 0.76%

amageish

Smash Master
Gnar

Riot Games has hired for Switch developers, so they're definitely doing something on Switch, but it's not like "having a game on the Switch" is an instant gateaway to a character in Smash. That said, it's possible that they're doing it nonetheless - League is a giant game and its impact on eSports history cannot be understated, even if the company itself is... Well, hopefully improving. I don't think it's super likely, but the concept of a League character seems possible - not probable, but possible.

But Gnar? Um. No. Gnar is cute, but Teemo would be the choice if they were picking a Yordle.

Want: Abstain.
I like League, in spite of what it is. That said, League isn't exactly the type of game where I have equal attachment to every character and would be excited no matter who they pick. If Gnar came with a cool stage and music, then I'd be happy, but does liking the content that comes with a character that isn't the character themselves worth giving them a high score for? I don't know!

Level-5 Rep x 5

Predictions: 1%...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Slipknot

Double zeroes. I don't think League of Legends is getting a character, so I'd give any character from it a score close to zero. There reasoning behind that doesn't matter, though, because while I'm far from a League expert, I know enough to know that if it did get a character, it wouldn't be Gnar. There's more recognizable characters, even to the layman, like Ahri and Teemo. I could probably recognize like, ten LoL champions, tops, from the time I've played it (I like Jinx, Jinx is cool). I'm looking at a picture of Gnar now, and I don't know it (and by the way, that does not look like a Gnar).

As for want, there is an argument to be made for representing a game as monumental as LoL. But I'm not too hot on the idea. And I'm certainly less hot about representing it through a frankly random pick. If I'm not sure I'm ok with one LoL rep, I'm definitely not ok with two, so they better get it right the first time around.

Noms: Earthworm Jim x5
Segata prediction: 8.11%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alucard (Castlevania) x115
Sirfetch'd x110
Concept: New Zelda character x103
Concept: Contra rep x90
Minato Arisato x90
Concept: A character who isn't the star of their own game x85
[Rerate] Concept: Gen 8 Pokémon x85
[Rerate] Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x85
Concept: Civilization series stage with music (Standalone) x85

100 - 51

Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x81
Decidueye x80
Proto Man x75
Papyrus x75
Sackboy x75
Meowth x75
Junko & Monokuma x75
Concept: Darksiders rep x70
Brian (Quest 64) x70
Earthworm Jim x70
Concept: DLC music packs x70
Axel Stone x65
Concept: Level-5 rep x65

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x45
Concept: Nippon Ichi rep x45
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x40
Boss: Ender Dragon x37
Terra Branford x35
Echo: Dark Bowser (14e) x32
[Rerate] Kratos x30
Guardian (Destiny) x30
Baldi (Baldi's Basics) x30
Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x29
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Urbosa x25
Giygas x25
[Rerate] Steve x25

Under 25

Concept: Returning stages x21
Ahri (League of Legends) x20
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x20
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x18
Rival Pokémon Trainer x17
Zeraora x15
[Rerate] Saki Amamiya x15
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Agumon x10
Concept: Dark Souls rep x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gooigi x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Lora and Jin x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Concept: No third parties in this Pass x10
Black Shadow x10
Stage: Bowser's Castle x10
Chell x8
[Rerate] Professor Layton x8
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x7
Taranza x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Concept: Fortnite character x5
Magolor x5
[Rerate] Andy x5
Cooking Mama x5
[Rerate] Toxtricity x5
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x5
3 Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2

New Zelda character cuts past the 100 nom barrier. A character who isn't the star of their own game, Gen 8 Pokémon, Dragalia Lost rep, and Civilization series stage with music (Standalone) remain tied, but now in sixth place, while Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable and Decidueye are removed from the top seven.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gnar:

Chance: 1% - It is true that Riot has been hiring Switch developers, and the series does have a little Nintendo representation, but Gnar faces stiff competition in both his own series and in Western Third Parties as a whole. Considering how difficult it is to get a Western character, Nintendo would more than likely choose a developer or company that they're much closer to (like Microsoft, Bethesda, or Activision). League has taken the right steps and has certainly made a massive impact on the eSports scene, but it just isn't a series I can see Nintendo going for. Riot just started their relationship with Nintendo and the secind pass has been decided since last year, so if anything Riot was late to the bus.

Abstaining on want, have never played League so I don't have any opinions on the characters.

Nominations:
Concept: Civilization Series stage with music (standalone)

Predictions:
Segata Sanshiro - 0.43%

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
My old profile pic (as Sari Sari said)

Yeah, not happening. While I do think people are sleeping on League just because of a lack of Nintendo connection and it's more of a coin toss than anything else, Gnar is not one of the frontrunners if it happens. I do agree with Sari in the sense that it would be weird for Gnar to come before Champions like Lux, Ahri or Ryze, though I do think "Sceptile before Pikachu" is a better comparison than "Numel before Pikachu", if only because Gnar sees a good amount of play in competitive for top lane (or at least used to, I haven't kept up with the past two seasons or so).

Want: 10%
I do think Gnar could have an interesting playstyle in Smash, if people can get past not controlling his transformation mechanics. That said, he wouldn't be my first option for a LoL rep. Heck, not even my first option for a playable top lane Champion, one of the Yordle champs or a character of his archetype. Besides, I think a simpler Champion can represent LoL's base mechanics better than Gnar would.

Predictions
Segata Sanshiro: 1.34%

Nominations
Ahri x 5 (of course I would nom another LoL rep today)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Gnarly Gnar

Chance: 0.00001% (Just count it as a zero)

Judging from some research, Gnar isn't even within the top 5 or 10 most popular champions from LoL. That in itself is a death sentence. Why would he, of all champions, be chosen then? And that isn't even counting the fact that LoL isn't that big in Japan and LoL right now having zero Nintendo presence. Also at this point I don't think Nintendo would choose LoL of all things since its owned by a western company. I can only see us getting 1 or 2 more western characters at most. Nintendo has a much closer relationship with Bethesda, Activision, Ubisoft, and even 2K. Combine all of that with very little demand, and you have a recipe for a pipe dream character.

Want: 2%

Gnar seems like a cool character with some neat abilities like boomerang throws, attacks that deal additional damage and give him a speed boost, and the ability to transform into a more powerful state. However, it would just feel wrong to not have a more popular champion be chosen. It would be like if they chose Tingle over Link. Still, it would be nice to see League of Legends get some content. It's an iconic game that is one of the most popular of its genre. While I'm not interested in it enough to play it, I would like to at least see it get a Mii costume or a spirit event.

Prediction: Segata Sanshiro - 4%

Noms: Contra rep x5

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Gnar
So, last time I did just a League Rep in general. Probably a mistake in hindsight, there are way too many characters and it probably intimidated people. The amount of abstains make me think this was the case. I'll just noming individual characters when I'm out of ideas of who I want to nom.

This post is long. My scores are up here.
Chance: 10%, Want 100%

So, Tencent and Nintendo are working together. Why does this matter? Tencent owns Riot Games which created LoL. From what I've found, Tencent is the main reason the switch was brought to China, and they're still working together even after the Switch launched. This might come as a shock, but Tencent are some greedy ****ers. As much I as I dislike Chinese EA for wasting League dev time on stupid crap, their extreme greed might give me something I want for once. They'd probably want to get a cut of the Smash money, and Tencent already owns the creators of currently the biggest E-Sport in the world. So a League rep would be probably be with the intent to get the Chinese market buying the Switch and Smash. With China being a huge but difficult market to get into, this scenario could actually happen.

So, if this China theory is true, it would make sense that one of the most popular LoL champions in China would be the number 1 contender. Lets see who those champions are! Drum Roll Please:

*bumbumbumbumbumbumbumbumbumbumbumbumbumbumbumbum*

AND THE WINNERS ARE...

I have no idea. After checking multiple sites that show LoL champion stats like champion popularity, literally none of them have info from the Chinese servers. I'm not exactly sure as to why, probably due to something with their government. The only info that we get access to from the Chinese servers are what the pro's play, but for the most part thats just the strongest champions right now, so that info doesn't help. Thats what kinda stops

So lets start actually talking about Gnar. First, what does Gnar have going for him? First, at first glance, you can tell he's not from a first party series. Other LoL characters such as Garen or Yasuo look like they could be from Fire Emblem. If you get drunk, you might think he's a Nintendog but that doesn't count. Gnar isn't up for any major gameplay changes or visual redesigns(as far as I know at least, LoL patches every 2 weeks so stuff can move pretty fast). A League rep would defiantly not be a champion that is considered to be outdated in their looks or gameplay.

Gnar has 2 forms, Mini and Mega. He switches between the 2 forms using whats basically Joker's Rebellion Gauge. In LoL, Gnar fills the bar by the just fighting things. To stop his Rage bar from being just Joker's Gauge on another character, maybe Gnar's only could fill up from damaging enemies? As Mini Gnar, he'd be a lightweight probably between Jigglypuff and Kirby. Mega Gnar would be a heavyweight, increasing his weight up to around Ridley's maybe? Might be too much of a weight change.

Mini Gnar is probably about the size of a Pichu or Kirby. In LoL, Gnar's Q ability is extremely similar to the Holy Cross. If Gnar catches the boomerang on it's return, the cooldown is lowered. In Smash, this could be changed to him filling up his Fury bar, as the lower cooldown in LoL would mean that Gnar would be able to use it sooner to get more bar filled up. He also has a Hop on his E ability, and it has a bit of a unique property to it where if Gnar lands on another living unit, he bounces off of them(he can only bounce once though). Maybe a cool thing could be that if Gnar's Hop lands on someone when airborne it's and auto foot stool? This is where I start to have some issues with Gnar. He only has 1 other ability, which is where every 3rd hit does extra damage and speed Gnar up. I don't know how you translate that into Smash. And even if you can, Mini Gnar still needs 1 more special. I don't really know where that comes from.

When Gnar has his Rage Bar built up, he doesn't transform right away. He transforms after a few seconds or if one of his abilities is used. The ability used always comes out as Mega Gnar's. (Ex: Mini Gnar throws boomerangs, but if the Rage bar is high enough or he's in Mega Form it's a boulder instead)

Mega Gnar is a lot easier to come up with things for. Mega Gnar's Q ability is called Boulder Toss, but he really just rips up a chunk of the ground and throws it at someone. In LoL, the boulder lays around on the ground and if Gnar picks it up, he gets the cooldown reduced. I don't think it would make sense for Gnar to get Rage for picking up the Boulder, like how Joker can't fill his gauge while Arsene is out. The Boulder doesn't have to lay around either.

Mega Gnar's W ability could be represented as either a Side Special or side smash attack. The attack is that he just slams his giant arm on you. In LoL, this ability always stuns, but since that probably wouldn't translate well into smash, it could probably do a high amount of shield damage instead.

Mega Gnar's E ability is the same as Mini Gnar's, but without the bounce. It would just do more damage and knockback. One thing I do want to mention is that if Gnar is ready to switch to Mega Gnar and Hops, he'll get the bounce if he hits and enemy and then get the big impact when he lands off the bounce. The website doesn't show this.

Mega Gnar's R ability makes him sweep his arms in a direction (in smash, it would probably have to always be infront of him). Not the hardest thing to program. If Gnar throws you into a wall in LoL, he stuns you, but that doesn't translate into Smash.

1 more thing I wanted to bring up is that Riot has games coming to Switch. LoL has 3 games that could potentially be on the Switch. 2 of them will almost defintely not have Gnar in them (Ruined King and Convergence, which were the 2 announced at the game awards). The 3rd game is the one I want to talk about, which is Wild Rift. That one is pretty much just a LoL port that is cofirmed to be coming to Consoles (No consoles are confirmed, just that it's happening) and mobile. Gnar isn't in the release of Wild Rift, but apparetly he has files in the game according to Data Miners.

As for my want score reasoning, League of Legends is both my favorite and least favorite game. A LoL rep is my most wanted for Smash by a long shot. I'd be happy with almost anyone being the rep as long as it makes sense. If a LoL rep happens, fighters pass 2 gets a 10/10 from me.

Noms: Baldi x3, Ahri x2

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain because I dont know the individual LOL characters very well and can't accurately say who the rep would be if they got one. That bing said Gnar is not one of the characters I'd guess has a good shot

I do think Lol has a solid chance but yeah, not sure on the character

Predict
Segata - 0

Noms
Guardian x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Gnarrrr, I be a pirate because I know nothing about LoL

I'm going to abstain. When I say I know nothing, I mean I know absolutely jack about the series. Who's the protagonist? Is there even one? I can rate the concept of a LoL rep fine, that's one thing, but if you were to ask me about any individual character I'd throw my hands in the air and admit defeat. I have no clue how likely he is. Nor do I have an opinion of him because, well, I've never even so much as seen LoL in action in a way I understand. For a self-called "gamer", being ignorant of this game is pretty appalling, yet that's where I find myself. (I will note that I haven't heard good things about Riot here, so maybe I should give him a low want for that. But I won't, that's not fair to the character.)

Segata Sanshiro is going to be a very interesting day because he's a nomination that stretches how far we can take "video game character". But regardless of whether or not you consider him a video game character, he has a huge fatal flaw I'll discuss tomorrow. 0.08%. DLC Music x 5.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Gnar

Chance: 5%. I'm pretty sure they would choose a different character to represent League of Legends, but it is not impossible. But either way, competition will be too much for Gnar, but then again, we have been surprised before. Now for my want rating.

Want: 50%. Gnar could be a fun character to play as, and it would be a surprising characte r to get in this game. But since I don't really know too much about this character for franchise, I'll be giving the rating of 50%.

Prediction: Segata: 5%

Noms: 2 for Echo: Lord Fredrick (67E) and 3 for Concept: Second F-Zero Rep

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Gnar

I don't know much about LOL, but one thing I DO know is that Gnar isn't even close to being the face of the game. If we go by the logic for characters like Ryu or Terry, they'd probably go with Ahri or something. That being said, while I don't think it's particularly likely, I could see a League rep get in as a surprise pick, if only because of Nintendo's relationship with Tencent.

Abstain on want. I have no opinion on Gnar. Plus, I'd rather have the sad mummy boy who just wants to be loved as our League rep.

Nominations: [Rerate] Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x5

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
I’ve heard some pretty not-good things about Riot Games, and I’m not so sure I want Smash to associate itself with them.
It's depressing to know that the same people who make my favorite game have that kind of crap going on. Thank god the LoL subreddit doesn't stick up for them when these stories come out.
This would be like Numel getting into Smash before Pikachu.
This made me laugh. I don't think that Numel is the best comparison but I do understand your point.

As for want, I never really enjoyed playing Gnar. He always felt "dysfunctional" to me. You're squishy ranged then at some point you're bulky melee... but you can't fully control when that happens. Building for that tends to be annoying too.
This is a pretty fair criticism of Gnar. For me, the dysfunction adds to the fun of playing him, but I can defiantly understand why this would be an annoyance for some people.
But Gnar? Um. No. Gnar is cute, but Teemo would be the choice if they were picking a Yordle.
You are correct in saying Teemo is more popular. My issue with Teemo is that he has a few things that either wouldn't translate well into Smash (invisibility) or that would be pretty toxic for the game (Blind mechanic making attacks miss and his Mushroom Traps). Gnar's gameplay would be less irritating imo.

I'm going to abstain. When I say I know nothing, I mean I know absolutely jack about the series. Who's the protagonist? Is there even one?
That's a tough question. Riot's trying to tell multiple stories at once, and they're also trying to make is so there aren't many clear cut good/bad guys. If I had to pick one, I'd probably choose Ryze due to him trying to prevent what would be a LoL version of WWII. I'm not an expert on LoL lore so I really don't know.

Is there a mascot for LoL?
There's no official mascot. In terms of an unofficial mascot, I'd say Ezreal, Lee Sin, Thresh, Jinx, Yasuo, Lux, or Ahri. They tend to be popular champions regardless of the meta and across the skill levels. I'm probably leaving a few out too. It's very hard to pick just 1, probably due to the nature of LoL being a team game and the vast amount of characters in it.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Really just a one off I want to contribute to so I don't really have any nominations. Anyway,

Gnar

Yes, League of Legends is getting a psuedo switch release sometime in the near future, but I highly doubt Riot gets a rep here. Hell, I don't think they've EVER crossed over with another franchise, and it would be pretty surreal for Smash to be the game to do it. Regardless, if we do get a league rep, it won't be Gnar. Seems like a very random choice as he's not anywhere near a core mascot, nor is he one of the older champions or even all that popular for the matter. If we do get a League rep, it'd be characters that are most likely to be recognized outside of the playerbase, namely the most popular ones that have been around for a long time now. Specific examples would be Ryze, Katarina, or Ahri. Gnar does not fit here, and really would not make sense for a choice, especially with competition from games that would likely need the advertisement that comes with the slot more as well as competition with many, and I mean MANY characters from his own game.

Want: 5%
I admit that he'd have a cool mechanic similar to limit that lets him access Mega Gnar, which would essentially turn him into a powerful heavy (with prob lots of superarmor) in contrast to his lightweight and fast normal form. I'd imagine he'd lack killing power but work like a zoner with his boomerangs with movement and weight similar to pikachu, while turning into a donkey kong type of character upon reaching max rage for a period of time. Despite having moveset potential, Gnar being one of the fighter passes wouldn't sit well with me. A League rep in general would prob feel weird, though I guess I wouldn't be opposed due to sheer shock factor. It just makes sense that it would be someone else if we get one. Someone like Lee Sin might have the best balance for a chance to get in, but I really couldn't know, and I don't think anyone would until it happens. However, I think there's a clear select group that would have a step above the rest and Gnar is not part of this group.

Prediction: 2% will buy the Sega Saturn

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while, and I do actually know who this character is, so why the hell not!

DEMAGLIO!

Chance: oof (0%)
Yeah, you actually thought I was going to give Gnar a shot? Gnar is far from the most popular champion in gameplay, and he's far from the most plot-relevant champion either. If ANY Champion from League of Legends gets in, it has to be one that's popular for one reason or another. For instance, Champions such as Garen are popular due to prominence in lore (That and Garen is a walking meme anyway [DEMACIA!]), whereas Lee Sin is popular because he does well in games. While Gnar DOES have an interesting gimmick, I don't really think that's enough to give him a spotlight.

Want: Abstain.
I'm not really sure on how I feel about ANY prospective LoL rep, let alone Gnar in particular, so I have to abstain.

Prediction on the guy who can trade blows with Chuck Norris: 3.5%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Neosonic97 Neosonic97 Good to see you back, man. Been a while.

Chun-Li
11.01% Chance - 57.30% Want
Winner of predictions was DaUsername DaUsername with a near-exact 11.01% Congratulations! That nets you ten extra noms.

Hornet
1.45% Chance - 49.09% Want
Winner of predictions was Sari Sari with 1.74%

The following have extra nominations

Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 15
DaUsername DaUsername 67
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 43
Icedragonadam Icedragonadam 5
NintenRob NintenRob 110
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
Ninjaed Ninjaed 5
Perkilator Perkilator 5
Sari Sari 5
Troykv Troykv 15
warpenguin55 warpenguin55 15
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 15

Calamitas

Smash Champion
GNAR LY?

A random LoL champion, who, from what I can gather, is in no way, shape or form more important than any of the others? Hell, a LoL character, period? Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Several other people have already outlined plenty of reasons as to why a character from LoL isn't likely to begin with, so I won't get into it.

Want: Abstain
Don't know a thing about this character. So, not doing a rating.

Predicting Segata Sanshiro to get around 2.53%.

Nomating Concept: A new Zelda character x5.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, I have returned. With some Gnar-ly (Damnit, :ultgreninja:'d. Iregretnothing!) opinions:

Chance / Want: 0 %

Combining both. Aside from Gnar being overshadowed in popularity and notoriety within LoL (something I don't have much to add on) I feel that LoL's way better represented by those poster children. Ahri's and Ryze's respective playstyle would fit Smash better, IMHO. Gnar suffers really from not being the most popular / notable amongst the Loads and Loads of Characters - it's a thing many, many LoL champions and Dota 2 heroes (bringing this game up due to the shared history, intense rivalry and similar roster size) suffer from when the characters are not played as much on a casual / pub level, and are not the most iconic competitive characters.

LoL itself I believe have a shot: a rumored Nintendo Switch appearance and Riot's owner Tencent hugging Nintendo tight from 2018 onwards helps chances. LoL also has a decent presence in Japan - Japan does have its own LoL league, and said league's champion get a World Championship spot each year. But a character who kind of vanished from the spotlight's not really going to be seen as the most likely.

Segata predictions: (The other reason I rejoined) 0.1 % sadly. Would be perfect as either a playable character or an AT.

NOMS NOMS NOMS: Concept: A character who isn't the star of their own game x5

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Gnar

Chance - 0% - Even putting aside how likely a League character would be, there's no chance it would be Gnar. In my mind, it's probably bing to end up being Jinx if it does happen; she's very close to being inarguably the most popular character in there. Gnar, on the other hand, isn't important in terms of story and hasn't seen much use. I don't see why they would pick Gnar given his competition of over 100 characters.

Want - 35% - While I follow League a bit, I haven't put much thought into one getting into Smash. For Gnar in particular though, I don't think he'll be that interesting.

Nominations

Nippon Ichi rep X5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Gnasty Gnarc
Not only is it a League of Legends character, it's one that isn't even that important or popular. In the (hopefully) unlikely event that we actually do get an LoL character, it definitely won't be this guy.
In short:
ctrl-alt-del-by-tim-buckley-your-honor-league-of-legends-death-24628219.png

In not as short: League of Legends should stay as far away from Smash as possible. It's has no reason to be there besides "it's popular". At that point, you might as well start including characters like Captain Price, a Sim, Fortnite Guy, John Madden, Steve, or anyone else who has no reason to be in Smash besides being from a big series.

Segata prediction: 0.95%
Noms: Gen 8 Pokémon x5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I'm issuing out a challenge to this thread.
if you can get either Shuichi Saihara or Kaede Akamatsu to 300 noms, I will write an essay analyzing New Danganronpa V3 and the fanfic I'd Trade My Life For Yours, and showing how the two complement each other perfectly and do some things better then the other.

and if Monokuma gets in Smash, I will write an essay detailing the history of Danganronpa and every piece of the franchiss.

and if Minato gets in Smash I'll write an essay detailing the history of Persona and my thoughts on each one of the games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom