• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Ok, let's do this.
I want you all to think about this for a moment. How high would you have rated Terry or Joker three years ago? How high would you have rated Min Mind before the announcement that we were getting an ARMS character? Heck, how high would you rated Sephiroth? For every Banjo, Ridley, Steve and K Rool that was guessed correctly there's a Geno, a Heihachi, a Rex, a Leon Kennedy.

Let's push wishful thinking aside and think business-wise. We all know that Nintendo told Sakurai who to include as DLC. But why did Nintendo get those characters specifically? Mostly through their affairs with third party companies, as we can say. SNK is really easy to work with. As in, REALLY easy. Do you know how many games developed on Japan, China and South America have SNK characters as guests, either on consoles, PC or mobile? Try to develop an indie game and ask for their permission to include Kyo or Athena; they'll ask for 5 dollars and a hotdog. THAT'S how easy they are to work with.
The same goes for Sega. You know you lost track of how many games have Joker as a guest character, and so did I. Heck, Joker and Queen were announced to appear on AFK Arena just LAST WEEK.
And that's where Sakura Shinguji comes. We may not see it, but Sega just likes to shove her every-flowering-where. You know she appeared in Project X Zone 1 and 2. I know you know. With this community it's always Project X Zone. But she also appears on Langrisser; Jolly Roger: Mysterious Civilization and Pirate Island; To Aru Majutsu no Index; Gomaotsu; 777Town, Cygames' Granblue Fantasy; Bandai Namco's Super Robot Wars X-Omega; SquareEnix's Star Ocean Anamnesis; Sega's own Puyo Puyo Quest, Samurais & Dragons, Hortensia Saga, Chain Chronicle and Phantasy Star Online 2.
Heck, Sega probably offered Sakura and Joker to Nintendo in one single table-sitting. And Nintendo didn't refuse any easy deal with DLC as far as we know.
I rate Sakura's chances as a solid 100%.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok, let's do this.
I want you all to think about this for a moment. How high would you have rated Terry or Joker three years ago? How high would you have rated Min Mind before the announcement that we were getting an ARMS character? Heck, how high would you rated Sephiroth? For every Banjo, Ridley, Steve and K Rool that was guessed correctly there's a Geno, a Heihachi, a Rex, a Leon Kennedy.

Let's push wishful thinking aside and think business-wise. We all know that Nintendo told Sakurai who to include as DLC. But why did Nintendo get those characters specifically? Mostly through their affairs with third party companies, as we can say. SNK is really easy to work with. As in, REALLY easy. Do you know how many games developed on Japan, China and South America have SNK characters as guests, either on consoles, PC or mobile? Try to develop an indie game and ask for their permission to include Kyo or Athena; they'll ask for 5 dollars and a hotdog. THAT'S how easy they are to work with.
The same goes for Sega. You know you lost track of how many games have Joker as a guest character, and so did I. Heck, Joker and Queen were announced to appear on AFK Arena just LAST WEEK.
And that's where Sakura Shinguji comes. We may not see it, but Sega just likes to shove her every-flowering-where. You know she appeared in Project X Zone 1 and 2. I know you know. With this community it's always Project X Zone. But she also appears on Langrisser; Jolly Roger: Mysterious Civilization and Pirate Island; To Aru Majutsu no Index; Gomaotsu; 777Town, Cygames' Granblue Fantasy; Bandai Namco's Super Robot Wars X-Omega; SquareEnix's Star Ocean Anamnesis; Sega's own Puyo Puyo Quest, Samurais & Dragons, Hortensia Saga, Chain Chronicle and Phantasy Star Online 2.
Heck, Sega probably offered Sakura and Joker to Nintendo in one single table-sitting. And Nintendo didn't refuse any easy deal with DLC as far as we know.
I understand thinking Sakura is likely, even if I disagree, but a 100%? That is a steep steep rating.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Ok, let's do this.

Even as someone who wholeheartedly supports Sakura, I think you're overestimating chances just a little.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Ok, let's do this.

Did you swap chance for want score?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ok, let's do this.

The vast amount of crossover appearances is a point in Sakura's favor, I agree, but an absolute lock? I'm generally pretty optimistic, but hoo-wee, that's a risky bet right there.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I have to say, as a big advocate for Sakura who think she has a pretty good chance of happening overall, I don’t think she’s 100% happening, there’s always a chance she could not happen and that goes for any character honestly.

I was pretty certain about Terry joining for example and even I had doubts on him, you never really know for sure

zferolie

Smash Hero
Might want to check what character has the highest satisfaction score for DLC before saying garbage like this

What fan rules? The market survey failing isn't a fan rule, it's an actual tangible thing that happened.

Do you know why he's a Sakurai pick? It's because KoF heavily influenced Smash as a whole. Kinda an important fact you're leaving out there.

Gonna say I acted childish earlier, and I appologize. I was just in a bad mood this morning with RL stuff, and when I read stuff here it pushed me over, and I shouldn;t have said some things I did.

Yeah the market failing wasn't the fan rule I was saying, and it did factor me giving her a 30% and not any higher. its a big ouch for her I admit. the fan rules I was going for was that it seems people like to assume every character picked is a promotionary pick of some sort, either a new game or anniversery, and so far only Hero was tied directly to a new game. Joker STILL doesn;t have his game one the switch, Terry had the KOF games out before smash was made, Banjo got nothing, Steve already had his game on switch, and Sephiroth has no new games on the switch. So saying a character has to have a game coming on the switch to be possible has been proven false.

Again, the words I used were innapropiate, and I sincerly appologize to annyone I offended or made upset

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You're right.
I rate her chances as 99,99%.
A lot of your points are honestly really good and make sense it’s just the final tally that I’m on the fence about

I’m personally 50/50 on her as well as most characters I think have a good chance because of the unpredictable nature of Ultimate’s DLC making it impossible to narrow down choices completely, I do consider her a pretty strong possibility but I just really don’t know who the final characters will end up being, there’s so many possibilities (Not ruling out a third pass however)

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
KOS-MOS

Want: 30%, I'm not a big fan of Xenosaga, but I do like KOS-MOS herself but still I'd rather have Rex, Elma or Lora

Chance: 40%, KOS-MOS Is a crossover darling for Bandai-Namco but not as big as some of there other characters like Don-chan, KOS-MOS Mainly crosses over within the Xeno series and due to the success of Xenoblade I could see Nintendo, Sakurai and Bamco wanting to represent this character

Sakura

Want: 100%, Sakura is #3 in my top 3 most wanted, I love the character and franchise, I think Sakura would be a good fit into smash and would be very fun and unique

Chances: 40% The biggest disadvantage Sakura has is the lack of games and overall presence in the west, but there are still a few. Sakura Wars main passage in the west is the significant amount of crossover appearances in a lot of games spanning several consoles and eras. In the east there are a ton of games spanning several consoles and the series has blown up into a decently large multimedia franchise with Anime and Stage shows in addition to the games. Sakura is one of SEGA's more promoted mascots and because of all that I have mentioned I could potentially see Sakura getting picked at some point in Smash's future.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
RTC regulars when the next Smash trailer has either the Zohar or cherry blossom petals

...Yes this fully includes me as you will see below

Man what a day.... I probably spent the longest time I ever have on a rating ever, outside of my giant SNK writeup of course. For the record I have nothing against either of these characters so please don't hate on me. With that said...

-----

KOS-MOS

Chance: 2%
I think TCT~Phantom hit the nail on the head when it comes to what KOS-MOS has going for her, down to the comparisons with both Banjo and Terry about how they're different from her. She's a relatively popular character by herself and Namco still puts her in crossovers. Monolith Soft also has clearly not given up on her as seen through her inclusion in Xenoblade 2 and various other promotional arts. I do feel like if the choice for another Smash character came down to Monolith Soft alone, they'd go for KOS-MOS.

Now for the bad... Xenosaga has been dormant for a long time. Xenosaga series creator Tetsuya Takahashi himself stated that the games weren't too successful (which is what led to them going to Xenoblade) and we know that a proposed Xenosaga remaster was said to have been unprofitable. I'm not saying a new Xenosaga game can't happened or wouldn't be good, but at the end of the day all that matters is that one hasn't happened in a very long time. I imagine if Nintendo/Sakurai talked to Namco then they would know all about the state of Xenosaga and would move onto more viable options, whether it be someone else from Namco or another character entirely. Also not sure where else to put this bit, but only one of the three Xenosaga games have released in Europe which could be a small detriment to her chances.

Speaking of other Namco characters, Tales reps are giant hurdles when it comes to another Namco character. That series is just way more bigger (and even got content in SSB4) so I don't see why Nintendo would talk to Namco and get KOS-MOS, when they could instead talk to Namco and get Lloyd or Yuri. Personally I think it's just Tales or bust when it comes to Namco characters at this point, but even then there are also other options like Dark Souls, Katamari, and Soul Calibur to name a few.

Even if the choice for another Xeno series character came down to Monolith Soft, Nintendo/Sakurai would still have the final say in it and I personally think they would ultimately decide on another Xenoblade character. It's looking to be their next big series if they play their cards right so I think Nintendo would want to prioritize promoting Xenoblade over Xenosaga. Yes I know you could technically kill two birds with one stone by adding KOS-MOS, but for the purpose of promoting the Xenoblade series I think they'd have a better chance with a Xenoblade original character, whether it Dunban, Fiora, or... that one salvager guy everyone seems to hate.

So while she does have a fair amount of things going for her and has been getting more talk in recent years, I think her series dormancy and general competition is greatly holding her back. If the Xenosaga series makes a true comeback in the future then I can see her having a much greater chance. I will say that if we do get another Namco or Xenoblade character then I can easily see KOS-MOS being a Mii Costume to go alongside them (I unironically like using Miis so this is not intended to be an insult).

I was originally going to give this a 1%, but while writing this I thought of the very small possibility of Nintendo adding a character to thank Monolith Soft for their continued partnership. That character would undeniably be KOS-MOS so up goes her chances even if only by a little.

Want: Abstain
Haven't played Xenosaga so I won't give an actual score. Granted she does look pretty cool and I have heard some good things about Xenosaga. However in regards to characters in the Xeno series then I would much prefer someone from the Xenoblade games. That may change if I were to play the Xenosaga games, but sadly there is no easy way to do so right now.

-----

Sakura

Chance: 3%
The Sakura Wars titles are super popular in Japan while the earlier titles inspired a lot of other games at the time. She also did get a new game recently so she isn't exactly as dead as she used to be. Sakura has also found a home in various crossovers such as Project X Zone and some gachas like GranBlue Fantasy. Granted while I don't view those as giant pluses since PXZ had other Sega characters while those gachas were primarily Japanese ones, they are still pluses nonetheless. However, Sakura's main issues start to arise when you look at the series outside of Japan.

Only two games in the series have been officially released outside of Japan. The first game that got localized (Sakura Wars V) underperformed in sales according to NIS America and the series then went on a long hiatus. The second game to be localized was the recent 2019 reboot which released overseas in April 2020. I couldn't find an exact sales number but it seems to have been overshadowed by a lot of other games that released at the time. Not saying it did bad, but I don't think it performed particularly noteworthy in the West. The chief creator officer of Sega, Toshihiro Nagoshi, stated that he wished the 2019 reboot sold a bit more in regards to the Japanese sales so take that as you will.

Regardless of how well it did, it's important to remember that the Fighters Pass 2 lineup was decided on by November 2019 (most likely even earlier) as confirmed in the Byleth Direct. By that time, Sakura Wars 2019 hadn't released in the West (or at all) yet, so the only thing Sakurai had to see how well the series had done in the West was the aforementioned SW:V which flopped overseas. Because of this, I feel like both Nintendo and Sakurai would view Sakura as a very risky pick at the time and opt for someone else. For base game? I could maybe see them taking the risk. For paid DLC where most people have to individually purchase the character? There are definitely much more safer characters. I know some may try to use Hero, Terry, or Byleth to counter this argument but I feel like those are much, much different scenarios than the one Sakura is in right now (for starters, their series had already been established in the West).

Of course there is also another issue: competition. If Nintendo/Sakurai wants Sakura in Smash then they will have to talk to Sega. If Nintendo went to talk to Sega however, then they would probably go with a character that would be more well-known overseas whilst still bringing in a good profit.
  • Eggman (or literally any other Sonic character) has the advantage of being way more recognizable without question.
  • Arle benefits from her games having a much greater presence in the West and Puyo Puyo being pushed harder by Sega in recent years.
  • Although I think the chances of a Yakuza character for Ultimate are dead based on some recent interviews, the series has been gaining a ton of traction in the West and again has been pushed hard by Sega. For future passes/games I think a Yakuza character may have the edge over Sakura.
With an even greater push from Sega to make the series big in the West, I think Sakura could be a potential Sega frontrunner in the future. Seeing as how the head of Sakura Wars is looking to continue the series in the future and is already, I think that may actually happen. For the time being however, this just screams Mii Costume to me as it'd be a way to promote a reviving series while not committing to the full idea of an actual character. Again, not a bad scenario with all things considered and it'd even give her a ton of Western exposure from that alone.

Want: Abstain
Like with KOS-MOS, I have not played Sakura Wars so I will abstain from giving an actual score. I would be lying if I said she was my most wanted Sega character though as there are a lot of other names I'd like to see instead (specifically Axel, Robotnik, and Arle). Again I'm not completely against the idea, but I really do think the series has to get it's proper footing in the West first.

-----

Chance predictions:
Dante: 43.84% (way higher than it should be)
Phoenix: 35.03%
Monster Hunter: 17.48% (the recent comments from Imran Khan are definitely going to drag this down)

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x10
Concept: 3rd party company gets more than one character in the same pass x10

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm surprised I don't see more 100% ratings thrown around lol. I would think that certain percentage points just mean different things to different people depending on how they interpret or how seriously they take the thread.

That said, Sakura was definitely not who I expected the first 100% rating I personally witnessed to be. I respect it

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
For paid DLC where most people have to individually purchase the character? There are definitely much more safer characters.
I’ve seen this being brought up numerous times on the topic of DLC characters, I don’t entirely disagree with the notion but keep in mind they would be part of the Fighters Pass which most people likely would’ve bought by now by a good amount of the playerbase, if the DLC was being released in increments like Smash 4 I’d definitely agree it’d be more of a risk, but them being part of a larger pass mitigates the potential risk that would come trying to sell a character like her to overseas audiences, simply because they’d already be included with the rest of the characters.

Overall you gave a very fair assessment on both characters, but I just wanted to give some food for thought is all.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I kinda don't like the thought process of "pick something popular, because every penny is worth a million" when telling a character that it's not worth the money for them to be a fighter.
While I agree with that popularity is not an end all be all, it is important to note that popularity is a potential boon for a character. I would say it is just another point to argue for in terms of what a character brings to the table. What is their legacy? What do they bring moveset wise? Would they sell well? Are they popular? Stuff like that.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
While I agree with that popularity is not an end all be all, it is important to note that popularity is a potential boon for a character. I would say it is just another point to argue for in terms of what a character brings to the table. What is their legacy? What do they bring moveset wise? Would they sell well? Are they popular? Stuff like that.
Technically true but some already pass that with ease. While it's kinda unfair (especially in the speculation circle) it's fair to look at their legacy but not always restricted to how many copy did it sold or if the game are bad based on a review without actually playing by yourself even if it's a fact.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Abstain from both.
KOS-MOS looks cool I guess, but I don't think I have anything to add to this whole debacle.
I already rated Sakura not that long ago, don't feel like making a new writeup already.

Predictions
Dante: 23.4%
Wright: 12.8%
MonHun: 39.7%

Nominations
Beat x5

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I think I.D. meant added a new Xeno character in Ultimate, and not a character who was already added in Smash 4.
Just to clarify, since everything needs to be clarified, what I meant is that monolith in general so far has not gotten any new meaningful content (content that actually requires work) in Ultimate compared to getting a character, a stage, an assist trophy and 2 music arrangements in smash 4. A hypothetical person that only cared about monolith games and absolutely nothing else would have little to no reason to "upgrade" from smash 4 to ultimate, as they would perceive them as effectively skipped in Ultimate.

Peace

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just to clarify, since everything needs to be clarified, what I meant is that monolith in general so far has not gotten any new meaningful content (content that actually requires work) in Ultimate compared to getting a character, a stage, an assist trophy and 2 music arrangements in smash 4. A hypothetical person that only cared about monolith games and absolutely nothing else would have little to no reason to "upgrade" from smash 4 to ultimate, as they would perceive them as effectively skipped in Ultimate.

Peace
so only new content matters?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Sisters from another... company? It's weird how similar they are.

Chance (KOS-MOS): Yeah, I'll give her a 10%. I just don't think a Bamco rep is coming, I think they're fine with just Pac-Man. Even then, KOS-MOS to me fails in enough regards that I just don't think she's gonna happen. Well, moreso because Nintendo is making the selections, while only with Sakurai would I think of her as a decently likely, let alone near frontrunner, candidate. Her main series is over and she rides on cameos; the games did so poorly that it isn't financially viable to remake them. As TCT said, Banjo got by thanks to dramatically more fan demand and despite what the series listing says, Terry is very clearly an ALL-ENCOMPASSING SNK character (KoF literally inspired Smash itself, that's something very few other franchises could). KOS-MOS does not have the relevance to be good with Nintendo, nor the fan demand to override that. Besides, apparently she doesn't show up much in non MonoSoft games, which is... not as much of a crossover "queen" as you'd think.

Chance (Shinguji): 25%, only because she's a unanimous tie for worst case scenario in my book and I can't have nice things. But more realistically it'd be a 5%. I know some people are really really really confident in Shinguji and I can see where they're coming from, but there are a few things to keep in mind. 1. Puyo Puyo and Yakuza are, despite what some may claim, in play and noticeably bigger than Sakura Wars, especially in terms of a push to be more popular in the west. 2. A Second Sonic rep is in play and, if they go for it, then good ****ing luck coming up with a good reason why the next SEGA newcomers shouldn't be from Sonic. Both 1/2 also show that fan demand is significantly concentrated towards them in the west, especially compared to Sakura's less than flattering performance. 3. Not only has Nintendo shown no attention to this series (unlike Puyo), and not only the most recent and most popular entry is PS4 exclusive, but said PS4 exclusive doesn't even star Shinguji. So from a western perspective she competes with a fellow Sakura in Amamiya. I feel like the combination of all these is going to get her a Swordfighter costume at her best. I will keep her in the back of my mind, though, and would be surprised to see her not referenced.

Both of them, to me, compete for the spot of Challenger Pack 9, which I think is gonna be a low key third party. If they don't make it then, I'm very confident they're not happening as I can't see them in 10 (big third party) or 11 (first party). I can't see either of them happen right now, short of a magic x-factor like a dev request.

Want (KOS-MOS): Abstain. I don't have any care in the world for Bamco reps since I'm not confident in any of them. Well except Lloyd, but even then if I have to make a sacrifice somewhere he's probably gonna be the first to go. I mean I have no familiarity with the character but w/e. I guess. Let's fill this out by saying that I would be interested in her more most likely if I had a grasp of the character's feel, or any real connection with it, but I don't. So that makes it hard for me to muster up a score for her, and while I could make time for it I have other interests in mind.

Want (Shinguji): 0%. Do I even have to say it? Apparently I do because some people believe competition doesn't exist. Maybe not in a world of infinite resources, but when everything takes time and money, that sounds like a fantasy. Also I have no attachment to the character. However, right now, she can stay out of the roster. Anything else is fine, but I don't wanna wait for a game in 7 years not directed by Sakurai where now everybody I want is competing with veterans. Maybe she'll play good. Maybe she'll have good music (then again, who WOULDN'T have the former two points apply to them out of any realistic candidate?). But that's not enough for me to want her.

TF2 rep x max. The Capcom trio scores well pretty much universally, but between the Capcom gigaleak not having Smash, the trend of returning Mii Costumes, and the tightening of slots in general, it's hard to imagine who's gonna happen. Dante, 29.75%. Monster Hunter, 30.42% (going to be a very polarizing day, with few scores that aren't sub 20 or greater than 70 in chance), Phoenix Wright, 26.46%.

I.D.

Smash Lord
so only new content matters?
It matters more, as new content is precisely the main reason you give people to buy a new game, and why we are all obsessing over newcomers here in the first place. I don't perceive Shulk not being cut in the "Everyone is here" game as particularly meaningful, as him coming back is simply a mere formality, just a collateral side-effect of something more important. And that's ultimately their biggest triumph here, Shulk not being cut, because everything else is the same as it was in Smash 4. Even F-Zero got several new music arrangements...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It matters more, as new content is precisely the main reason you give people to buy a new game, and why we are all obsessing over newcomers here in the first place. I don't perceive Shulk not being cut in the "Everyone is here" game as particularly meaningful, as him coming back is simply a mere formality, just a collateral side-effect of something more important. And that's ultimately their biggest triumph here, Shulk not being cut, because everything else is the same as it was in Smash 4. Even F-Zero got several new music arrangements...
bar a couple tracks from 2

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Which IIRC are straight ports with no alterations at all. Not exactly very flashy compared to a bucket of new remixes.

Xenoblade and Wario are the only veteran franchises with literally nothing that wasn't in Smash 4 beyond Spirits in terms of major new content. One of them has become a notable B list Nintendo series, the other is part of the Mario franchise by proxy. While Xenoblade is technically better off because it got something while Wario got literally nothing, it's not really that far apart.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna end the day now. I just wanna say thank you to the Sakura and KOS MOS fans that came to RTC today. While we may not see eye to eye, it is always good to see the alternative perspective that fans have. I know I played Sakura Wars for the first time because it got brought up in this thread for instance. I personally hope that if these characters get rated again, you all come out and give some love, at least in want.

In other news, the front page rules page has been updated, the first in a long line of updates that will be coming to improve the quality of life of the thread. None of the rules are anything radical right now: this is mainly just QOL stuff and clarifying stuff, enforcing day limits, and stuff like that. One thing you might have noticed is now, we will have a hyperlink in the first post of a day showing you the OP of the support thread for a character. This is done to help research a character and get to know why some people care about her. While this was something that we tried to do up to this point, now it will be a general rule to include a link in a support thread to the RTC day and bump it as well to help a character’s fans come support as well.

Final major revision is that the noms system is getting a bit of a slight overhaul for bonus noms from predictions. It is a little more liberal now, and it is encoded so that you get double whatever you earned that day. So if you got a score right for tomorrow, you would get 30 noms. Hope this will make predictions a little more fun

Today is Capcom’s day. First off, this day is featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series. How will he fare today? Before you object, Phoenix Wright is here to make the case for him as DLC. Finally, Monster Hunter also enters the fray. Rate these three Capcom characters in chance and want.

Tomorrow is a First party day, and we are revisiting two first party characters that are active on this site: Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee. Predict how these two will do in terms of their chances.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Abstaining from Segata Sanshiro's waifu because I don't have time. You guys got lucky.

Xx_K05_M05_xX
Chance: 5%
The Xenosaga remaster being cancelled because they probably wouldn't make any money seems like a pretty obvious sign that this isn't happening anytime soon. Doesn't really make sense to do that if said game's main character was gonna be playable in the biggest crossover of all time soon. But there are a lot of people who like KOS-MOS so, uh, nothing's impossible I guess?
Want: N/A

Dante prediction: 25%
Wright prediction: 15%
MH prediction: 35%
Noms: Senator Armstrong x5

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Wow, I haven't been here in a while, huh? We've got a day that I have some particular opinions on, so I'll jump into it. Not really feeling a big writeup on each, though...

Dante

Chance: 8%

I'm not really convinced of Dante's likelihood. He's got more going for him than most, but I find it hard to picture Nintendo going for him in particular, given his series' fairly niche nature and relative lack of Nintendo history.

Want: 50%

I'd be roughly neutral on Dante. I'd respect the decision, but I don't really have a history with the series. Plus, he's in competition with some of my most-wanteds. Hey, speaking of:

Phoenix

Chance: 15%

Considering the longstanding Nintendo basis and regular activity of the series, I reckon Phoenix is kind of leading the pack when it comes to Capcom reps now that Mega Man and Street Fighter are already in. He's quite recognizable to the general gaming public, too, even if only as the "objection guy".

Want: 90%

Yeah, I'd be really happy with Phoenix in Smash. I'm pretty sparing with who I give 100%s, but I'm absolutely gonna give this guy a 90%.

Monster Hunter

Chance: 1.5%

I'm going against the grain here. I just can't see them going so far as to add a full-on adventure-mode boss for this series, and then deciding that's not enough later on. That just doesn't quite track to me.

Want: 40%

I feel like I only knew Monster Hunter existed since, like, three years ago, but apparently it's a real big deal? Honestly, I can't be mad about it, but it would feel a little redundant to me.

Put my noms toward... ah, put 9 toward Junpei and however many I have left afterward toward Filia.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some songs for today's Capcom characters:

Dante

Phoenix Wright

Monster Hunter

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Chance: 35% -
Phoenix is often considered the Capcom underdog when compared to franchises like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, and seems to be bigger in the West than in Japan, but unlike his fellow Capcom characters, he remains consistent in chances while they often rise and fall in various ways. Phoenix has an edge in two major ways. The first is his dedicated fan support which stretches back years. This means that he surely had great performance on the Smash ballot, especially much moreso than Dante (who wasn't even considered by fans at the time) and Monster Hunter (I don't know how big of a pick they are in Japan despite their popularity, but at least in the Western fanbase he got the most love once Mega Man and Ryu got in). Characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo show that Nintendo is indeed paying attention to the ballot results, which really helps Phoenix. There's also his long Nintendo legacy. Phoenix is a Nintendo mainstay, and was exclusively on Nintendo systems for most of its' life. The whole franchise is available on Nintendo handhelds, and the HD Trilogy is available on the Switch, which upkeeps the franchise's legacy. Both Nintendo and Sakurai appeal are there! There's also the event of the 20th anniversary being this year, and while anniversaries by themselves never meant much for Smash chances, the recent Capcom gigaleaks show that they do indeed have plans for our lawyer friend this year! Ace Attorney 7 could be coming this year, plans to release official translations for the two Meiji-era Great Ace Attorney games, and considerations of porting games 4-6 as well for an HD collection. Capcom could easily add Phoenix Wright to Smash alongside it!

Now, Phoenix still has his downsides. The biggest is, of course, competition. Big players like Dante and Monster Hunter are still on the table, even if they've been suffering as of late. There's also Chun Li, and while I don't think she's as likely as people say, Capcom does love Street Fighter, and Phoenix could very well be passed up again. It really depends on how much Capcom promotes the series this year and if Nintendo is still making some ballot picks. But overall things are looking good!

Want: 100% - Originally I simply wanted Phoenix because he's my friend's most wanted. But now that I've started playing the series proper, I'd really love to see this guy in Smash! Both the games and the anime adaptation have made the past few months super fun and I've come to love so many of the characters! Phoenix and Maya's goofy courtroom antics would translate into such an incredibly unique moveset for Smash, unlike any other character! MvC showed that he could easily be done in a fighting game setting, and I'd love to see Sakurai take that and put his own spin on it. Let's not forget the stage and music! he District Court would make such a fun place for battles! Honestly, Phoenix brings so much to the table that it's no wonder he has the fan support he does! Plus being a Nintendo mainstay and, in the eyes of many, an honorary Nintendo character really paints a beautiful picture!

Monster Hunter

Chance: 30% -
Monster Hunter is not quite in the same spot it was a few months ago. While support remains strong, and it is still a franchise Capcom is pushing, the marketing for Rise has definitely slowed down. Furthermore, recent rumors suggest that a scrapped third party character eventually had their pieces recycled into Byleth. Monster Hunter fits this perfectly, given that they'd have a weapon-switching gimmick too. Further supporting this is how Monster Hunter's music tracks are arranged in the base game, as if it had a character but doesn't. Considering that the Monster Hunter developers greatly prefer to have the Monsters (or Palicos) cross over instead of the Hunters, this would make sense. It was probably in the cards to have Monster Hunter playable but was replaced by the Rathalos boss, which better aligns with the wishes of the developers (and Sakurai takes great care to respect developers' wishes).

Still, with that aside, Monster Hunter remains one of Capcom's biggest franchises, a huge hit in Japan, and Capcom's continually pushing it heavily in the west. The Monster Hunter Mii costumes have yet to return as well, and could definitely appear alongside a Monter Hunter character. Rise arrives in a few months as well, and given that Nintendo gave Monster Hunter its' own direct, it definitely screams promotional potential! However, to meet this they'd have to be the next character slot, and if they miss this opportunity. the Hunter will go the same way fellow Monster series members Urshifu and Calyrex did. Monster Hunter still has a ton of merits, but I'm not nearly as confident about them as I was a few months ago.

Want: 30% - My cousin loves Monster Hunter but I have yet to try it myself. Plus it does have plenty of history on Nintendo systems, which is a plus for me! But while the Hunter's content would be cool, they lose a lot of points for two reasons. The first is competition. As you might've read, I've become a big fan of Ace Attorney, and of course, that means that Monster Hunter getting in would block Phoenix. The second is the type of moveset they'd have. A multi-weapon character is a moveset they probably wouldn't repeat in great depth, and this is a gimmick I'd love to see on Dragonborn instead, to go along with his shouts. Monster Hunter has its' merits and it has more than earned its' slot in Smash, but with Phoenix around there's a Capcom character I'd much rather see.

Dante

Chance: 15% -
Nowhere near as confident in Dante as I used to be, though a lot of this could be attributed to the hype for his character dying down. Going along with his hype, his demand didn't really start until mid to late 2019, which was well after the second fighter's pass had already been chosen. Now there is Sakurai appeal. Dante did pioneer the "stylish" action game that inspired Bayonetta, and pieces of her could be used to make Dante (which could help from a development standpoint, which could make it appealing to them). And now with the first three games on Switch, Dante definitely now has a foothold. Still, things haven't changed much for Dante in these past few months, so it really could go either way. For all we know, he could even get his with a Mii Costume like Travis. It's a tough call.

Want: 10% - No experience with Dante myself, and while "Wacky Wahoo Pizza Man" would be kinda funny, he's not my ideal next Capcom rep. Obviously that would be Phoenix Wright, who Dante would deconfirm. Furthermore, while he has moves that'd seperate him from Bayonetta, I'd rather not see another character like her on the roster (even if he'd be much more tasteful). Now, I am happy that he finally has entries on Nintendo systems, along with the creator's sentiment that they should be on Nintendo systems first (something I highly respect), I don't think he should get in over Nintendo mainstay Phoenix Wright (who has years of fan requests) or long Nintendo history Monster Hunter. He isn't a bad choice by any means, just one I really wouldn't care for.

Nominations:
4x Strategy Rep x10
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x10

Predictions:
Dixie Kong - 14.08%
Bandana Waddle Dee - 21.97%

Both of these two are great choices with a ton of fan demand but are unfortunately from franchises that have likely "used up" their new content for the game in the developers' eyes (Dixie) or aren't from a game made by the creator (Bandana Dee), so I'm expecing it to hurt the scores quite a bit, even with spirits back on the table.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Dante

Chance: 20%. Not much has changed for Dante, and his chance is still quite decent. But I’m pretty sure if we do get another Capcom Rep in the second Fighter’s pass, it would be either Chun Li or Monster Hunter. But things can be surprising.

Want: 55% He would be fun to play as, and I can see him team up with Bayonetta in a match, or recreate a Death Battle match. Overall, Dante has some potential to be a decent choice for a Smash Bros Rep.

Pheonix

Chance: 15%. Not much has changed for him. But I think Dante is a bit more likely to show up in this game. But if any Objections are in order, then his chance would be a surprising choice and that almost anything is possible at that point.

Want: 55%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see a trailer of him taking place in a courtroom, with some hero accused of a crime, the possibilities are surprising. Overall, he would make a decent choice of a Smash Bros rep.

Monster Hunter

Chance: 50%. With two new Monster Hunter games coming in the near future, it’s quite plausible that the Monster Hunter could make it in the game. The Monster Hunter is easily the most likely choice of a Capcom Rep, and one of the most likeliest choices of a Smash Bros Rep as well. But there is also a chance that the Monster Hunter won’t be in, but things can surprise us.

Want: 55%. Monster Hunter would be fun to play as and they can have a rematch with Rathalos once more. Not only that, I can see them fight Bowser, Ridley or Charizard, due to their resemblance to dragon like monsters. Overall, Monster Hunter would fit decently in Smash.

Prediction: Dixie Kong (25%) and Bandanna Dee (25%)

Noms: 1 for Stage: Bowser’s Castle and 4 for Giygas

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Abstain for both, I have never play their game (other than the first DMC which I failed to finish)

Noms:
Zhao Yun/Dynasty Warriors character ×10
Laharl/Disgaea character ×5

Prediction:
Dixie (15%)
BWD (15%)

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Phoenix
Chance 60 - The last time I gave him a rating was nearly a full year ago so he's due up for a new one. Last time I gave him a 50%. I'm going to bump it up to a 60 for a couple reasons. First, I feel like Dante is less likely now that we've gotten both Steve and Sephiroth. I don't see us getting a 3rd character of that level in that pass. Don't get me wrong, it would be super hype if we did but I dont see it happening. Anyways, I'm also bumping Phoenix's score up a little more because we now know that Ace Attorney is in the plans for Capcom due to the breach. This isn't me falling for the old "new game = Smash" thing either, there's legit a lot of plans for the series going forward which include Ace Attorney 7, a few more titles getting localized, and a potential trilogy rerelease for the Switch. That goes beyond everyone's favorite type of spammed 4 chan leaks, that's a pretty big vote of confidence in the series and also would give Nintendo a pretty big reason to want to pick him over other characters from Capcom. There's some competition here obviously, mainly in Chun Li and our other 2 contenders for today but if you're a Phoenix Wright supporter like myself I think there's plenty of reasons for optimism. Feels like he's the front runner for the next Capcom rep until Resident Evil is back on the table, which is either next pass or next game(Dante will also be a heavy contender then as well)

Want 100 - I love Ace Attorney and Phoenix is a fantastic character. I'd absolutely take him. After seeing Marvel vs. Capcom make him work in a way true to his character any worries about moveset potential are gone now. My main focus is how Sakurai would implement him. I feel like he'd do a good job but with visual novel characters there's still a degree of difficulty there that makes it interesting.

Dante
Chance 45 - My last rating for him was the same day as Phoenix's last rating nearly a year ago. Then I gave him a 55%. I'm dropping him down slightly due to the last 2 characters being huge names, which is a trend I don't see continuing. That and the obvious plans for the other 2 contenders on the switch hurts him a little. While I still believe what I said above, I feel a little hesitant about Dante given that Ace Attorney has a ton of planned content and Monster Hunter has a game coming that could easily fill up the "shill" spot if that place in the pass breaks open to 3rd party reps. Feels like there's just other characters that could be priorities first for both sides. Not to say that means hes out, or even means anything really because as we've seen it really might just mean nothing at all, but this games all about educated guessing and my gut isn't feeling great here. However, Dante still has a lot going for him with a lot of his games recently coming to the Switch and also being at worst the 2nd most iconic character Capcom has to offer. He's not dead or anything, just feeling like high on him right now.

Want 55 - Yeah, Dante would be a good add to Smash. With how iconic his game and series are adding him would be huge. He's competition for one of my most wanted in Phoenix and I don't think I'd enjoy his playstyle, which would likely involve a lot of combos and the likes, but damn, Dante in Smash just feels right at this point.

Monster Hunter
Chance 15 - Last time we rated the Hunter was back in October and I gave them a 30%. While I could still see them happening I feel less inclined to believe it will happen. The main reason is because the mii costumes are all starting to come back. In fact we're just waiting on the Monster Hunter and Lloyd ones now that both Genos and Chocobos are back. That feels like a bad, bad sign for the 2 of them. There's still some solid stuff going for the Hunter, such as a new game being in a solid window for a "shill" spot that I mentioned above and the fact that MH is both iconic and is the 2nd best selling franchise from Capcom that doesn't have a playable character(behind Resident Evil, who is likely dead until pass 3/next game) so there's plenty of reasons to pick it. But with the way things are trending I have a hard time feeling high on this character. There's also the issue of the developers preferring the monsters be used in crossovers instead of the hunter, which is also a knock.

Want 10 - Yeah, I don't really want this. First comes the fact that the hunter is competition for other characters I'd rather get like Phoenix, Dante, Chun Li, and Jill Valentine(or anyone from RE, but Jill's the one I want the most from the series) from Capcom. There's also the issue that the Hunter is normally a generic avatar character and I'm really over getting those in Smash. I wouldn't totally reject it since MH has it's merits and I could absolutely understand the selection but I don't particularly want it.

Predictions:
BWD - 35.76%
Dixie -31.52%

Noms - Gonna use the 30 from today plus my 15 extra noms, which should give me 45 to use
Bioshock Protagonist x 23
Far Cry rep x 22

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The first post is a little personal and goes into some grievances on the subject matter. Please forgive me if I’m too hard in my first post, I want to be as respectful towards the fans of these characters as humanly possible but I want to be honest with myself. Anyways here we go.

Dante

Chance: 20%

I’m going to be perfectly honest, he is one of, if not THE most grossly overestimated characters bar none. Nintendo has shown almost no interest in Devil May Cry as a property, there’s only been three releases on Nintendo Switch (all of which being ports of the HD remasters, which for whatever reason Capcom decided to cut apart and release in increments) and Nintendo provided almost no marketing support, promotion, or even development assistance and everything seems to have been done by Capcom internally. Otherwise the series has stayed almost exclusively on other systems, even most of Dante’s guest appearances in other games (PS2 version of Viewtiful Joe anyone?) have been the on other platforms barring Project X Zone. Nintendo seems more interested in the series’ spiritual successor Bayonetta, which has it’s titular character already in Smash. Because of the overlap I don’t see them going with a character like that again since Bayo is based on Dante. Besides that, I also don’t think they’d choose him before a character from the much more successful, and much more iconic series that Nintendo actually HAS shown interest in, which is Resident Evil, something that DMC is literally a spun-off idea from. With all this in mind, I really do not see Dante, and I think a lot of people banding behind his chances are just doing that because his name picked up a lot of traction because of fake leaks on the road to Ultimate’s release, and his newfound popularity based on DMC5, which while legitimate, doesn’t correlate to a Smash reveal. The only thing I see of note is Hidiaki Itsuno saying Dante should come to a Nintendo console before Smash which iirc was only a bit before the DMC1 port was announced. Nonetheless I’m not super confident in him happening.

Want: 20%

Yeah I’m gonna pass on this one, the idea has been very soured for me. I’ll explain cause my grievances get a little personal. I love Dante as a character and I’m a pretty big fan of his series, having played and enjoyed every game (except 2 that one sucks balls and DmC barely counts). However I don’t think as a character he adds anything to Smash we haven’t already seen before, he’s got a lot of moves but at his core he’d probably just use Rebellion where his moves would just be the standard sword flair and due to being from a hack and slash he’d probably wind up being a combo-heavy quick character like... Bayonetta... Who is literally an expy of Dante who provides more interesting gameplay options than he does since she uses her guns to fight and can summon the limbs of demons. I would also be a bit bitter if he got in over a Resident Evil character as Devil May Cry spawned from that franchise, Resident Evil is one of the biggest franchises not in Smash and seeing it’s smaller sister series get in before it would genuinely feel wrong to me. Furthermore a lot of his fans annoy the daylights out of me like my aforementioned Discord server who would hammer in the idea to people to an obnoxious degree (they also did this with 2B from Nier Automata who I have similar thoughts on). Having to hear about them every day constantly being expected to think both are likely and should be in and having to constantly explain yourself really gets to you ya know? At the same time I acknowledge his history as a pioneer in the hack and slash genre, and of course the soundtrack would be worth it. At the same time, I’d have a lot of options before him, in terms of hack and slash characters I’d rather Ryu Hayabusa or Travis Touchdown who would probably bring more interesting gameplay options and more varied representation, and in terms of Capcom characters (which I’ll get to in a bit) I’d go with others. overall I just don’t really want Dante in Smash anymore, which is a shame because at first I wanted him to fill that Resi-shaped void, but alas, I’ve just lost that spark.

Pheonix Wright

Chance: 35%

This is a character I think has a decent chance, a tad overestimated by some but still I could see them. For one Nintendo has shown loads of interest in his series, they’ve been involved with the series since day one. Nintendo helped with development support for the original Ace Attorney on Game Boy Advance, and have since helped with marketing and distribution for the series. Up until the Ace Attorney Trilogy, the series remained soley exclusive to Nintendo’s consoles and are popular with that audience. The future for the series also seems pretty bright with a recent data breach from Capcom’s servers indicating that multiple Ace Attorney projects are in development, though whether or not the development team was informed about this is uncertain to me. However this brings me to some of the things I think are going against him. For one, his lack of recent game appearances aren’t exactly boding well for him, while the Trilogy is something that’s also a rerelease of an IOS title released years prior so I’m uncertain if that would’ve factored in assuming the projects were not known about. Then there’s the fact his series is a bit on the smaller side and more of an underdog series for Capcom, they might want to promote a higher-profile series as a result but hey who’s really to say for sure? Tbh though I still think he’s very possible, and it really depends on what the marketing strategy is for the series.

Want: 100%

I’m a very big visual novel fan and it’s one of my favorite genres, I would love to see the medium get some sort of major representation in Smash, Ace Attorney is one of my favorites (along with Danganronpa and Kotaro Uchikoshi’s games which make a sort of trifecta, oh yeah go play AI the Somnium Files by the way) and I would love to see how they would handle it’s inclusion in Smash, all the music they could include from the games, the Spirits they could have (There’s so many great characters, you can’t go wrong with characters like Gumshoe, Larry, Apollo, Mia, Trucy, Ema, or any of the prosecutors) and I would love to see what his moveset would be like, I’d love to see if it includes Maya Fey heavily as she’s one of my favorite characters ever, it would be absolutely great seeing Ace Attorney represented in Smash in any way.

Monster Hunter

Chance: 50%

Next to Chun-Li this is probably the most likely Capcom character I could see them going with, though I’m on the fence but I’ll get to that in a bit. Let’s start off with the basics, Monster Hunter is pretty huge, World has become Capcom’s highest-selling game ever, the series has a Hollywood movie now, and it’s become a juggernaut franchise for Capcom having sold over 65m units worldwide. The series is also very close with Nintendo, with them having provided support for the series for many years now and them having marketed and helped distribute some of the games on their systems. The most recent game, Rise, is a Nintendo Switch exclusive, and another title Stories 2 will release soon after. Another interesting thing to note is that in Smash’s files there exists unused entries for Spirits from Monster Hunter Generations, which could mean some Spirits will come later, interesting to note. So what’s going against it? Well, for one it already has content in the base game, this includes Rathalos as a boss character and two songs, so I’m slightly doubtful they would include those if a character was coming. Furthermore, the developers have spoken against their characters being used in fighting games and apparently the Hunter in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite was used without their permission, and considering Sakurai likes to be hands-on with the developers that’s not very telling to me. Furthermore there’s a matter of the Monster Hunter Mii Costumes which would likely return at this point, I don’t see a hunter coming with Mii Costumes and a fighter if I’m being honest. The reason I’m rating it so high is because it’s kind of a choice that’s so big I could see it getting in against all odds, but at the same time I’m uncertain because there are notable things against it.

Want: 40%

I don’t really have much interest in the idea but I’m not really against it, Monster Hunter is more than worthy of getting more and I do quite like the series but I’d rather other series get represented first, especially since it has stuff already. That’s really all their is to it honestly.

That may’ve been my longest (or second longest) one ever wow, anyways glad to get that off.

Noms
A Xenoblade Character (20x)
Kaede Akamatsu (20x)

Top Bottom