• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Terra

Chance 2% - From what I understand she's somewhat popular, but with FF7 just getting a huge remake I can't help but think that's the FF game that we'd get more content for. Which is a good thing since Nintendo got ****ed hard with the amount of content Cloud got. Feels like the next FF rep would be either Sephiroth or Tifa I guess? Seems like the two most popular characters from that game.

Want 40 - I know who she is but I don't know much else since i haven't played FF6. She's a notable character though so I don't think this would be a bad pick by any means.

Predictions
Brian - 4%

Noms:
Stretchers x5

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Not to be confused for Terra from the Kingdom Hearts series

Chance: 0%
Okay, last time we rated a FF character (Noctis, I think?), I used the Dissidia argument. Looking back...yeah, that was pretty dumb. So now reason for 0% chance is because of Square Enix being stingy.

Want: 50%
There are other Square reps I want more, but I wouldn't mind Terra. I wouldn't even care if people called her a Robin clone.

Brian: 0%

Noms: Auroros, Jyk and Poppant as Assist Trophies ×5

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Terra

Chance: 40%
If there were to be another Final Fantasy Rep, I think she could be one of the top choices, if they wanted to go for someone from the first six games. The odds of us getting another rep from the series are a little more dubious, but not impossible by any means.

Want: 100%
FF6 is widely considered to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and unlike FF7, is widely seen as an icon of Nintendo. Terra would be a great pick and stands as one of my top 3rd Party wants from series that are already represented.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Terra Branford

Chance: 5% - Difficult character to assess, but I feel that competition is what hurts her the most. FF7 has both Square's blatant favoritism along with just getting a big remake. So there's a lot of competition from within her own series. Furthermore, she's a Square character, one of the most competitive categories for a newcomer and having to contend with fan favorites like Geno and Sora. So things aren't really stacking up for her.

Want: 10% - I'm not too interested in Final Fantasy so I wouldn't be too interested in another rep. But if we had to have one, I'd gladly prefer her over Tifa or Sephiroth. She'd represent the old school SNES era of Final Fantasy, where Nintendo had a very positive relationship with Square. Though If I had to choose a next Square rep it'd be Gex, Geno, or Sora.

Nominations:
Louie x5

Predictions:
Brian - 3.43%

amageish

Smash Master
Terra

Chance: 10%. She's iconic and a popular protagonist that would represent the pre-3D-space Final Fantasies. It's also not like there is a shortage of spirit or music or stage potential for Final Fantasy.... Problem is that Square seemingly has a "Cool, but how does this benefit me" relationship with crossovers, given how their content has been handled in Smash Bros before (and the rejected PlayStation All-Stars character). Unless there is something to do with FFVI secretly in the pipeline, I don't see Terra being chosen over, say, a Bravely Default 2 rep.

Want: 99%. Terra is pretty awesome. I don't usually play Square JRPGs, but FFVI is too fantastic to overlook. She's definitely a worthy choice for Smash. I'd just hope she'd do better in the music category then Cloud did...

Nominations: This has given me an idea for an actual character to nominate! Moogle x 5

Predictions: So, do we know if the Quest 64 IP is owned by, like, a games company? Or is it still owned by the bank following THQ's bankruptcy? As I don't believe Nordic obtained everything THQ owned... That seems important for this rating... 1%, I guess.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Terra branford
Chance:2%
I dont think sakurai would want to double dip on the final fantasy franchise as square is supposedly very strict with the final fantasy ip,
As the final fantasy series only had 2 songs.
Even if square was a less strict i still feel like they might add someone from another franchise like geno,lara croft etc.
Want:abstain
Havent played final fantasy 6 before

Noms:steve(rerate)×5

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I got no joke for this one

Chance: 20%

This is a higher score than most of the ones so far. That is because FF6 is considered one of the most popular and well-regarded RPGs of all time. And whenever FF gets brought up in Smash speculation, FF6 is always one of the first games mentioned and Terra is one of the most requested FF characters. I think people are underestimating her a bit. She is clearly popular and is one of the (and definitely the most popular) protagonist of one of the most renowned RPGs to boot. Once again, people are saying that Square Enix is stingy. How many times have we went over this? Look at Hero. Aside from maybe the music, they have shown that they aren't that stingy.

Is she super likely though? Not really. People bring up FF7 being more popular, having a recent remake, and having fan favorite characters like Tifa and Sephiroth, which I agree with. Considering that Sakurai stated in the past that he had regrets when it comes to Ultimate, he might want to include more FF7 content. Thus, If we were to get another FF character, it will boil down to an even chance between Terra and another FF7 rep. But that is assuming that we get a second FF character. Never say never, but the problem is that Square Enix has such tough competition. Geno, Sora, Lara Croft, even 2B. This is what makes it so tough to judge these Square characters. Sakurai has really good reasons to go with any of these characters so it pretty much is a roll of the die, especially with how much our expectations were subverted in the first pass.

Want: Abstain

Never played FF6. I know, I know, but these older RPGs are tough for me to get engrossed.

Prediction: Brian - 1%

Noms: Frank West x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Terra Branford

Chance: 5%
I recall Sakurai himself mentioned Terra when talking about other FF characters that could've gotten in over Cloud. Because of this and FF6 being regarded as one of the best in the series, she's definitely one of the frontrunners for another FF rep. But even then she'd have to compete with other popular names like Noctis as well as another FF7 character. Also with Cloud already in Smash, there's a chance Sakurai would skip over an additional FF rep altogether and add someone from another Square Enix series.

I never really got into the FF series so I'll abstain. Always been more of a DQ person.

Brian chance prediction: 1.50%

Nominations:
Rex [Rerate] x5

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Terra Branford, from Final Fantasy 6.

Chance:1%

She's from FF6, one of the most beloved games all time, not just Final Fantasy, not just the SNES, not just JRPGS. Final Fantasy 6 is one of those games that people really love, and are no ashamed of admiting that. If people don't talk about 7 or 9, it's this one that you will see the most praise from (and rightfully so)

Unfortunately there are too many things against her:
-We still haven't seen a third party newcomer from an already represented franchise. Yes there's Ken and Richter, but those are echoes (even if Ken is an echo in name only) and therefore not exactly comparable.

-Even if we were to get a second FF rep, there's not a guarantee that Terra would be next on the spot. No, im not talking about another FF7 character, im convinced that if Sakurai were to include another Final Fantasy character, he would probably go with the main hero of another FF game altogether (FF7 Remake bandwagon notwithstanding) Thing is is that she has competition with Cecil Harvey (the first Hero of the first SNES FF game and an important iconic character of FF as a whole) Bartz (FF5 is far more popular in Japan, FF6 is not hated just seen as the "there" game in comparison) and even maybe somone more recent like Noctis or a more generic entity like the Black Mage. Don't even get me started on the other Square choices (and by that i mean Geno because it's the only character from Square that i see happening at this point, and before you ask Sora is legally owned by Disney)

-It's Square Enix. I wouldn't be surprised if they would rather cut Cloud than give another FF character, let alone Terra.

Want: 80%

I love Final Fantasy 6. Im not a fan of Final Fantasy, im a fan of Final Fantasy VI

The gameplay is simple yet fun, the soundtrack is amazing, the characters are memorable and the story lefts an impact on you. DQXI was the last game that even came close to touching FF6 (except Soundtrack, FF6 curbstomps DQXI's ost and that's not an unpopular opinion i assume) in my eyes. You can bet your ass i would love Terra Branford, the magical soldier of the Esper world, in Smash Brothers Ultimate.

Forget 2Butt, forget Chrono (sorry man) forget Lara Croft, forget Neku, forget Sora, etc. If i had to choose another FF/Square character from the bottom of my heart, she is the one no doubt.

Keep in mind im rating the character, i know if Terra were in Smash she would probably come at a lower price she ain't bringing **** her thanks to Square *I swear man this company is not stingy look we 8 midi songs for DQ and no spirits for FF outside of the Fighter spirits for Smash!11111* Enix.

BUT, if somehow, someway, the planets alinged, hell froze over and the entire space time continium were to be shattered, and Terra brought a stage, spirits and FF6's kickass soundtrack with some remixes, she would be a full on 100% on board with this. Not even Waluigi is someone i would give this rating to, and im a Waluigi follower. Im not asking for the Terry Bogard treatment here, the Banjo Treatment (a stage with character cameos and 10 songs with some remixes added in for good measure) would be enough for me.

This is the only other female character i want in Smash aside from Dixie Kong. Not because i want to **** her and turn Smash into a ****ty Waifufest, not because i believe there's evil misogynistic patriarchy keeping female reps out and therefore we must add female character for this idiotic arbitrary reason, or because im a salty hater of everything FF7 (try to get and see how many people try to put FF7 down when it comes to FF6, it's dumb) but because i love Terra Branford and FF6. She's not my favorite character in FF6 (hey Sabin) but despite that, she is a symbol of my love towards FF6. She ins't even one of my favorite "female" characters, she is one of the fictional characters in all media that i hold close to me, period.

Terra Branford for me would be like Simon Belmont was for me. Sure there are other characters like Isaac, Waluigi and Bandana Dee, but those characters are ones that i want alongside other people, just like K.Rool and Ridley were. Terra would be a personal fantasy for me come true, just like Simon was.

This isn't a request, this isn't a dream, this is a Fantasy, one that will never happen in this magic-less world. It's nice to dream sometimes, but you have to wake up soon enough:

Not doing predictions or noms today, im just too sentimental for my own good. Note to self: Remind me of playing FF6 by New Year's Eve. It's only fitting.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
kinda the protag of FF6

Chance:0%: Way too much Squeenix competition for her to get in, even if 6 is the fan favorite of the series. Between Geno, Crono, Neku, Sephiroth, and Lara.. yeah she's not that likely.
Want: 100%: Love Final Fantasy VI. It's my favorite in the franchise and Terra was my main in Dissidia. Plus, an actual mage would be awesome.
Nominations: Gordon Freeman x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ladies and gentlemen, it's that day of the week again. The last day before nominations lock. Use them wisely!

Gordon Freeman x150
Papyrus x129
Guardian (Destiny) x125
Ahri (League of Legends) x125
Concept: Auroros, Jyk and Poppant as Assist Trophies x120
Frank West x120
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x106

150 - 101

Concept: Fighter from repped third party franchise x105
Decidueye x101

100 - 51

[Rerate] Steve x100
Meowth x98
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is mostly first-party x95
Louie x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Zelda (BotW sequel) x80
Proto Man x75
[Rerate] Kratos x70
Dr. Eggman x67
[Rerate] Rex x65
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x57

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x50
Boss: Ender Dragon x49
Echo: Zeraora (41e) x45
Fulgore x44
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x40
The Stretchers x40
D.Va x40
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x37
Echo: Dark Bowser (14e) x37
Echo: Lord Fredrik (67e) x35
[Rerate] Saki Amamiya x30
Urbosa x30
[Rerate] Frisk x30
Red (Angry Birds) x30
[Rerate] Lip x30
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x30
Giygas x28
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x28
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
The Terrarian x25

Under 25

Stage: Bowser's Castle x24
Rival Pokémon Trainer x22
Concept: Returning stages x21
[Rerate] Nightmare x20
Concept: Upgraded Spirit x20
Zeraora x15
Black Shadow x15
[Rerate] Paper Mario x15
Concept: No Spirit promotions x15
Wolf Link x15
Diablo (Diablo) x15
[Rerate] Captain Toad x14
Gooigi x13
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Agumon x10
Concept: Dark Souls rep x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Lora and Jin x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Alex Mason x10
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x10
Nate Adams x10
Chell x8
[Rerate] Professor Layton x8
Magolor x7
Taranza x6
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Concept: Fortnite character x5
[Rerate] Andy x5
Cooking Mama x5
[Rerate] Toxtricity x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
[Rerate] Takamaru x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Jin Sakai x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Cynthia x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Echo: 40e x1

...I got nothing. Absolutely nothing of note to mention in the nominations list.

This is so awkward

So, do we know if the Quest 64 IP is owned by, like, a games company? Or is it still owned by the bank following THQ's bankruptcy? As I don't believe Nordic obtained everything THQ owned...
I don't think Quest 64 was ever owned by THQ, I think it's Imagineer who owns it. They developed and self-published in Japan. The Game Boy game was also published by them in Japan and overseas by Sunsoft rather than THQ so the constant is probably the IP owner.

DaUsername DaUsername I missed your nominations from Junko & Monokuma's day, I'm sorry and thanks for pointing it out. I'll just count them as part of today's noms for simplicity's sake.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Terra-ble Bran flakes

Chance: 5%. On a good day. Really don't believe in her getting in for reasons I'll elaborate on when we do the "third party series gets another rep" day, but to foreshadow, they get relatively little out of it (in terms of core content and non-preexisting appeal). Even if we were to assume that the trend with third parties only getting one character would be broken, there is competition from other series (like Sonic, Street Fighter and to a lesser extent Mega Man, and more directly Dragon Quest).

But let's say Final Fantasy wins out, which it likely would (as it suffers from that problem by far the least). Now she has the unfortunate luck of being up against Final Fantasy VII's crew (which not only wins in relevance, but also popularity), including the likes of mother****ing Sephiroth (a battle she would get demolished in were it not for the Challenger-- oh wait, Cloud has jack with him so Sephiroth has plenty to pull from), and even others like Tifa, Aerith, Barret or Vincent give her a run for her money. Now let's say they decide "nah, we already have a non-Nintendo Final Fantasy rep even though that didn't matter before. Let's pick one from the old days of FF". There's still a bunch of options, like basically any of the FFI heroes (White Mage and Black Mage can do things basically nobody else in the roster can), or Cecil, or Rydia, or a FFV Hero-style rep, or Gilgamesh. Now let's say they decide to do 6. There is STILL one last character in Terra's way. His name is Kefka Palazzo, and he's the main antagonist of the game. But he's also the most consistent focus of the game, and one of the most iconic Final Fantasy villains in general. He's basically Sephiroth before Sephiroth meets the Joker. So even then she has to prove herself on top of him, which to be fair precedent shows will likely happen.

And I haven't even mentioned characters like 2B or Neku, or if you want to count them Lara Croft or Sora who would be at least around as big of deals as Terra if not more, offer plenty that hasn't been done in Smash, and overall I just believe in them more. I don't think Terra's happening.

Want: Now before you guys whine at me for this, let me share a little story about Final Fantasy VI. It's the first FF game that I ever played. In fact, I think it's the first one I ever heard of. After watching a playthrough of the game in February 2013, I played the iOS version... and holy **** is this game one of the best of all time. Everything about it is wonderful. Well, except the graphics, those are just fine (though the spells look really nice). But the music, characters, story and the feel of the gameplay is pure awesomeness incarnate. Definitely a game you guys need to check out if you haven't already (though I'm the only person who likes that version of the game, so if you can get it on SNES or GBA).

So a mere 15% doesn't sound right, does it? Well, not only does she open the door to Tails and Eggman, my worst-case-scenarios, worse still to get Terra you have to pass up Kefka. And I think that Kefka is an infinitely better candidate in almost every regard. Sure, we're gonna get Terra if we get an FFVI rep, but I think Kefka would be so much cooler while also, ironically, being more evocative of the entirety of FF6 (while Terra is very much a "first part only" pick). This also applies to Rydia, who once-upon-a-time was one of my most wanted third parties (we didn't have a whip user back then, nor a magician of any kind).

Last but not least I didn't really care about her that much. She was hardly a mainstay of my team (in fact I think she rode the bench for most of it) and her character didn't really shine until too late for me to really appreciate it. I was more interested in getting through the story beats. Before Joker she at least had a unique mechanic, but now it feels like a variant of Arsène. Overall my personal desire for her was never really a thing, and while I would not technically be opposed to her inclusion (in the sense that she makes the game worse by being there, which she doesn't), I would be less than satisfied to know they put hours into this character.

TLDR: 5% Chance, doubt it due to loads of competition and status as a character from a repped third party series (though I don't hold it against her as much as I do others). 15% Want, basically there's other second FF reps I'd rather have if it came to it, and I don't really want one to begin with.

To get it in the schedule so I can chronicle my thoughts, Fighter from repped third party franchise x 5. Brian from Quest 64 is absolutely not happening with Nintendo at the helm. 0.30%, I actually cannot think of a single reason for Nintendo to choose him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Lingering Will

No way we get any KH character before Sora, and much less this guy. He's at best the deuteragonist of Birth by Sleep, depending on whether you consider the protagonist to be Ventus or Aqua. What kind of idiot nominated this?

Is it possible to go too far for a joke? I just began with the joke title and then just kept going. I don't know when to stop, if you can't tell. Anyway...

Chance: 12%
Terra is one of the protagonists of Final Fantasy VI, considered by many to be the best Final Fantasy and best JRPG period. While the game itself swaps between different characters, Terra became the de facto protagonist after the fact, and is the one chosen to represent it in crossovers and the like.

I'd say if we get a second Final Fantasy rep, it's her or Sephiroth. Others have mentioned Tifa, Aerith, et al, but let's be real, Sephiroth absolutely trounces them all in iconicness and popularity, and the only one that even comes anywhere close, Tifa, really doesn't have interesting moveset potential to surpass the difference. Poor girl was born to be a Mii Brawler costume.

As for the rest of Final Fantasy? Well, we've only heard of her, Bartz, and Noctis be considered. Noctis, of course, was only in contention from Square Enix's side, and only because he was from the newest game - right now they might consider FF7R or FFXIV to be the relevant titles. I think we can disqualify 1 and 3 because while iconic designs, they're still generic characters and I don't know if Black Mage or Warrior of Light or Onion Knight with a FF1/3 stage and general FF Spirits is an attractive proposition. FF2 we can rule out because I'm the only person on Earth who likes that game. 8 and 9 have always been in the shadow of their PS1 brother 7, unfortunately, so I can't see them getting picked for variety's sake. 11 and 14 are MMOs, they have the same problem as 1 and 3 except without iconic designs. 12 and 13 are 12 and 13. That leaves us with the SNES trinity... And Tidus. I don't know what to do with Tidus, his game was acclaimed, far enough from 7's influence to be received for its own merits, and I think Famitsu even voted it as the best game ever, so he's a contender. But let's ignore Tidus for argument's sake, let's say they want a Nintendo-focused choice. I think Terra has the best shot because she's the more global pick, much like Cloud is. Japan adores FF5, the game that eluded the West for years and was then received as Job System: The Game. The West is more infatuated with 4 and 6. But the middle ground between the hemispheres is 6, I'd say.

I've heard talk of how Kefka could get in over Terra. Yeeeaaahh, that's not how things have worked out with Smash. Main character represents the game first. Not the villain. Like, if you put Terra in, the goal's clear, you want an FF6 character. You put Kefka in and you'll have people asking why him over Sephiroth. It would be weird to have an FF villain that isn't the One-Winged Angel.

Now I did rate this pretty low because it's still Square Enix. They have a lot of **** that could get in. But I don't think another FF rep is that far out. They tend to want their modern stuff repped, sure, but we still got Cloud when FF7 was anything but relevant. They're not just focused on promotion, as long as they get that sweet Smash cash they're good. Third parties in general haven't ever gotten a unique second character and I don't know if they'll start now, but if they do, Terra's certainly a strong contender to be one of the first.

Want: 100%
I mean Final Fantasy VI is a masterpiece, Smash not having a rep from it is kind of a failure.

Now I gotta nominate Tidus, damn it.

Edit: You know, it would be pretty cool if they told us that character X was the main character of a Final Fantasy and we had to rate them all like we're doing ARMS. People would be forced to admit that Firion'd have a solid chance and those kinds of bizarre situations are why I love Smash speculation

Noms: ****ing Tidus x5
Brian prediction: I'm giving him probably his second highest nomination, not because I expect to be right but rather out of pity. 5%

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Terra
Terra is pretty screwed over by the fact shes a square character. We already have Cloud, and what we got with him was a pretty good represent... hahahaha nope can't do it. Square FFS stop being such a pain in the ass.

Much like the entire DOA franchise, my knowledge of Terra is that she exists. Only FF game I've played is the 7 remake which is awesome. Are the other FF games like this one? I love FF7 remake and would be willing to play to others if they are.

BTW I would love for Cloud's English voice and the FF7 remake battle theme to be added to smash. Isn't going to happen but I'd love it.

Noms: Alex Mason x5

amageish

Smash Master
I don't think Quest 64 was ever owned by THQ, I think it's Imagineer who owns it. They developed and self-published in Japan. The Game Boy game was also published by them in Japan and overseas by Sunsoft rather than THQ so the constant is probably the IP owner.
Ohhhhh, perfect! I just assumed it started with THQ because of it's English version coming out first, but that makes more sense.

Edit: You know, it would be pretty cool if they told us that character X was the main character of a Final Fantasy and we had to rate them all like we're doing ARMS. People would be forced to admit that Firion'd have a solid chance and those kinds of bizarre situations are why I love Smash speculation
My impulse is to not want the ARMS speculation cycle again, but this would be a pretty fascinating debate to witness...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Terra Branford; The Terra-ying

Chance: 20%. She's certainly one of the many notable protagonists among the franchise. It's effectively her story at first(though Celes also has her moments), but she feels like the most important character. Terra is a really cool character, and it helps that colors should be easy, given you already have an easy Celes palette swap, and then the rest can change her leotard appropriately. I don't remember every single character in the game enough for a good color reference table, though.

Want: 50%. Doesn't too much matter to me. I don't consider her a good idea for the sake of "more relates to Nintendo" in itself, but she's certainly a cool option with Magitek alone, being one of her vehicles in the story. She's got more than enough weapons and could show off the Esper system very very well for spoiler reasons.

Predictions: Brian 0%(didn't expect that, did you?)

Nominations: Concept Upgraded Spirit x 5

(Here's some quick knowledge. Oddly enough I didn't 100% cover every detail otherwise even in the Quest topics I made, but they're certainly a bit more detailed than this one. Confusing releases when there's effectively 5 unique games(out of 10) that aren't purely language changes. Yeahhhh.

Quest 64 was created by Imagineer, and published in 3 different areas of the world by a different company. I do not know the Spanish version's details, though, but it came out wayyyyyyy later on the iQue from what I can figure out.

• Quest 64(US) - Published by THQ
  • Holy Magic Century(UK English, French, German) - Published by Konami
  • Eltale Monsters(Japanese, actually has differences beyond languages) - Published by Imagineer
It goes deeper, but yeah. Sari Sari I'll note I did add costumes among other stuff in my support topic for Brian, if those may be useful for tomorrow's listing.)

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Terra from Final Fantasy III
Chance: 2%
From what I know, FFVI is one of the most popular and praised games in the franchise but not the most relevant. Terra has some things going for her but the competition seems too much. Square isn't exactly the most flexible third-party to work with. I can see them wanting someone who's more popular and
plays a huge role in a game they released this generation such as Noctis or even Sephiroth if they'd allow a double dip. Then there are also the other non FF characters competing for a slot. 2B, Geno, Lara Croft just all seem like way more popular than Terra so Nintendo might want to go for them instead.

Want: Abstaining, God I need to play a Final Fantasy title like yesterday

Brian: 1.10%
Papyrus x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Only FF game I've played is the 7 remake which is awesome. Are the other FF games like this one? I love FF7 remake and would be willing to play to others if they are.
If by being like FF7R you mean "being awesome", then yeah, most Final Fantasy games are awesome. If you mean in terms of gameplay, then no, that style debuted in 7R (although I expect it to be the new standard for Final Fantasy because it's ****ing great). Closest you'll get is probably XV for modern games and Chrono Trigger for classics.
Confusing releases when there's effectively 5 unique games(out of 10) that aren't purely language changes. Yeahhhh.
Remind me to ask you about this on Brian's day.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Remind me to ask you about this on Brian's day.
No worries, I plan to explain it a bit tomorrow either way. Just a very short history(including Brian's name among regions/games. He's got basically 4 unique names, and only two of them are kind of similar). Kind of like how Pokemon themselves have tons of different names, and not all are just pure translations. I.E. Articuno is Freezer in Japan. It's akin to that, bar(Brian) having a non-generic name.

Otherwise, feel free to come to the topic(s) in my signature for more information~

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
terra you say?

chances: 40% i wouldnt say theyre great but not as bad as other people think. and its not cause of the whole "SE is stingy" thing which is based on very little a was surely put to bed by DQ getting more stuff than both the characters that preceded and followed it. i think that if we were to get another FF character it'd be more likely to be squall, noctis or sepiroth.

want: 95% I like many here adore FF6 and would just about any of the playable characters. terra would probably get written off for being to similar to robin by naysayers much as hero was but if they were to utilise her trance ability she would stand out from the others. theres plenty that can be done with her, spells summons, swords and esper form

nominations: nate adams x5 i dont why though as i feel i may be the only one here who knows who he is

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Terra

Chance: 1%
Considering that she's not only an FF character so it has heavy copyright outside of Square Enix, making it a pain to get the rights and even more of a pain to get content from, and that there's other SE properties that would be easier to get, while also being new series, she jas almost no chance.

Want: 60%
She's cool and FFVI is great, even if it's not my favorite FF. Also, Dancing Mad is amazing.

Also I nominate Tidus 5 times because why not.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Terra

Chance: 1%
Ah, another great game from my childhood. Unfortunately, Smash has as of yet no precedent for a 2nd non-echo rep of a 3rd party franchise, so that's already bad for Terra. Then there's Square Enix having no shortage of worthy candidates. And then, you have worthy candidates from other companies too, including Nintendo themselves. It'd take a miracle for Terra to be in Ultimate.

Want: 80%
Which is a shame, there's a lot that's (or would be) interesting with her. I'm just not giving her 100% because of how weak-willed and almost subservient Square Enix made her in Dissidia. That's not really the Terra I grew up with - or at least, not Terra after receiving character development. I know, I know, Yamato Nadeshiko and all that. Still annoying to me, and makes me scared she'd be a generic praying girl who doesn't want to hurt no one if she got in. Hence the lower score than I'd like.

Predictions: Brian (no clue who that is) - 0.4%
Nominations: Concept - fighter from repped 3rd party franchise x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Her chances are Terra-ble if you ask me

Chance: 3%
So. . . Terra. She's a Final Fantasy character, so that it already a pretty heavy strike against her. And I don't even mean this in the usual "oh, Square is so stingy" kind of argument, but in the sense that Final Fantasy is a series that's already represented in Smash. As right now, there is not a single third-party series in Smash Bros. that has more than one unique fighter, so there's just no precedent. And even if there were a third-party series that got a second unique character, I highly doubt that it would be Final Fantasy. As the content that came with Cloud has shown us, negotiating the rights to content from the series seems remarkably tricky, and I severely doubt that Sakurai and Nintendo would jump through all of these hoops for a character that isn't anywhere near as well-known as Cloud himself was. There's a tiny chance of course, but I just don't see it happening.

Want: Abstain.
Never played FFVI, and I barely know a thing about her. I got nothing.

Nominating Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is primarily First-Party.

Predicting Brian to get around 0.69%.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
FF6's main protagonist. Not to be confused with The Terrarian

Chance: oof
Square Enix is VERY stingy, and we already have two characters (technically five if you count all four Hero alts) originating from Square Enix properties, one of which happens to be Cloud freaking Strife, and the other, Hero, being part of Challenger Pack 2, so I don't see us getting yet another SqEnix rep so soon.

Want: 40%
She'd be alright, I guess? There are other SqEnix reps I want more, but she wouldn't be a bad choice.

Brian prediction: 0%

Noms: Terrarian x5

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Terra

Chance: 5%. Chances are, she won't get to be a playable fighter in this game. We alrady have two Square Enix reps already, and while a third one is possible, it most likely won't be her. Plus, given how Final Fantasy is poorly represented, there is not going to be much of a chance of her joining in.

Want: 50%. On the other hand, we need more Final fantasy representation, and Terra would be a fun character to play as. While Terra is not my most wanted choice for a new Final Famtasy rep, she would still be a good choice in her own right. But I don't know too much about most Final Fantasy games (outside of 7), so I'm giving her a 50% want.

Prediction: Brian (64): 5%

Noms: 2 for Echo: Dark Bowser (E14) and 3 for Meowth

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Hyped for the next DLC character to just be announced as a Pokemon character so we're rating the chances of Miltank and Toxicroak.

Seriously though, I actually do like that they gave us a hint at the next character. As long as it makes sense to do it(so not like, Hey, a Super Mario RPG character is coming, guess which one!) I hope they do it again. It's a nice change of pace from sitting on nothing for months and then a rush of holy **** something is finally here like 2 days before

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No worries, I plan to explain it a bit tomorrow either way. Just a very short history(including Brian's name among regions/games. He's got basically 4 unique names, and only two of them are kind of similar). Kind of like how Pokemon themselves have tons of different names, and not all are just pure translations. I.E. Articuno is Freezer in Japan. It's akin to that, bar(Brian) having a non-generic name.

Otherwise, feel free to come to the topic(s) in my signature for more information~
Uh, who are you?
i dont why though as i feel i may be the only one here who knows who he is
I do too, if that means anything.
so not like, Hey, a Super Mario RPG character is coming, guess which one!
Oh boy I wonder if it's the Axem Rangers!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I do too, if that means anything.
thank goodness for that, youre the one keeping track of the nominations if you didnt know id be in rel trouble

Yes. I change names a lot, heh. Apologies for any confusion(but if you want more information, PM would be better at this point. It's off-topic here).
now im curious what were called originally?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
thank goodness for that, youre the one keeping track of the nominations if you didnt know id be in rel trouble

now im curious what were called originally?
HyperFalcon is my first username. I don't remember them all.

But again, off-topic. >.<;

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Terra

1% Chance

I am as of now of the belief that we would only get one Final Fantasy fighter for dlc if we got one, and it would have to be Sephiroth.

Real quick, before I dig deeper, I am just gonna say 6 is not that popular of Final Fantasys in Japan from what I have heard. In the west I would say it is one of the most popular, but it does not have that same star power in Japan.

Sephiroth is everything that Terra is not when you are looking for a DLC pick, namely he is a much bigger deal. Now, DLC has shown that curveballs are a thing for third parties, I doubt anyone would call Joker or Bayo household names. But Sephiroth is one of the most iconic villains of all time for gaming. He is the JRPG villain. He is part of the reason FF7 is a legendary game. Furthermore, he is in the zeitgeist right now. The FF7 remake is doing very well (it will probs do better than TLOU 2 but I can spare my thoughts on how that game is gonna flop for another time). And I won't spoil the remake for yall, but Sephiroth is kinda a big deal. It just makes sense if you want a second Square rep to go with Seph. Moveset wise Terra could do some interesting Magitek stuff, but at the same time Sephiroth has his own tricks as well.

Overall Terra just is outclassed, sad to say.

80% Want

The only reason this ain't higher is for two reasons. One, I am full on the Sephiroth train. And two, I just do not see myself playing as her. That being said, FF6 has an amazing soundtrack. I would love more FF music in general, but FF6 has a great battle theme and standard boss theme that would work well. Couple that with the amazing songs that I would love to hear remixes of like Terra's theme, the Opera, or Dancing Mad and I am sold.

That being said, I'm gonna take the rest of this want section to shill other songs I would want from Final Fantasy. 4's boss theme, Clash on the Big Bridge, Liberi Fatali, The Man with the Machine Gun, Maybe Im A Lion, Dark Messenger, Seymour Battle, Otherworld, you name it. So many good tracks that would be amazing for smash.

Rex rerate x 5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Brian from Quest 64 (paging Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth )

Tomorrow is Day #4 of our ARMS ratings, so predict the following four ratings:
  • Helix
  • Max Brass
  • Misango
  • Concept: ARMS rep has different characters as alts
Day will end Friday morning EST.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Quest 64 mood:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Terra
Chance: 0.1%
Take a look at the FF content (or lack thereof) currently in Smash and tell me this is likely. How do you expect a second FF character when the first one barely made it in?
Want: N/A

Brian prediction: 5%
Noms: Upgraded Spirit x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Terra

Chance - 2.5% - If Final Fantasy were to get a character to represent another game, I have a feeling it's probably going to be her. That said, Final Fantasy seems to be hard to work with, and their is much more for other characters even inside her own franchise. Alongside the Juggernaut's worth of tittles from Square Enix and you have a very hard character to justify.

Want - 60% - I can understand the want for a more Nintendo focused Final Fantasy representative. I want one myself, actually. That said, I know little about her, and care little about RPGs in general. I don't care much, though I will feel a little better.

Nominations

Lip X5

Top Bottom