• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
New Zelda Character
Chance - 50%
I think it's a toss up. Most characters in the Series are one offs and there is no trace of them in future games unlike Pokemon that can be used in future generations. Even HW is kind of a toss up to me, was it really big enough to even matter? Overall I do wonder if Sakurai feels the series is covered enough until the series develops a new series regular.
Want - 40%
Depends on who. Someone like Midna or Ghirahim could be cool, but it'd also feel a little forced to add them. HW just threw in a bunch of waifu bait that I'd rather avoid. The Guardians look cool, but they'll just be future Midnas and Ghirahims. Also got to worry about more over saturation of swords. I'd much rather get some wacky critter from the series than a human sword wielder.

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 40%

Just based on how we haven't gotten one in a long time, I'm not sure about the chances of this one. It seems like a good time to add a new character with BotW, but it's also possible that making Link be the BotW one (and possibly Zelda as well) is enough for Sakurai.

Want: 95%

It's time, despite being one of Nintendo's biggest IP's Zelda hasn't gotten a new non clone character since Melee.

Decidueye Prediction: 63% (should be way higher, but some people will be silly)

Nominate: Elma x 5

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Zelda Newcomer Chance - 25%: Sakurai has recognized by now that Zelda only makes episodic characters with no future. Still, it's very odd that Zelda has got so little as of late, so I could see them force Revali, or far more preferably, Pig Ganon.

Zelda Newcomer Want - 60%: I would take Pig Ganon over anything other than K. Rool, but Revali is a steaming pile of garbage. I see no other possibility for the Zelda newcomer that could realistically happen, so there's no point entertaining them for this slot. This applies to any character from BOTW, not just Revali specifically.

Decidueye Prediction: 64%

Nominate Blue Bowser x5

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 25%
They already have every reoccurring Zelda character except Impa.

Want: 15-100%
100% for Groose, 15% for everyone else.

Decidueye prediction: 45%

Nominations

Travis Touchdown x3

Funky Kong x2

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
zelda newcomer

chances: 50% so far they seem to be reluctant to include any character that isnt link, zelda and ganon which is daft as there still plenty of recurring characters in the series like impa tingle beedle and epona (ok some of those arent good examples) so our best bet is probably toon zelda

want: 100% i love the series

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Any Legend of Zelda newcomer chances: 28%
I don't think anyone in particular is likely, but their cumulated individual chances give this a decent probability of this concept happening. I think it's more likely to see new Legend of Zelda content through revamped characters, like Link and maybe also Zelda getting a treatment similar to Pit in the transition from Brawl to SSB4.

Any Legend of Zelda newcomer want: 40%
I guess it could be cool, but it makes me think "whatever" more than anything else. Midna could be interesting, and I guess Skull Kid could be mildly interesting; at some point I imagined BotW Link riding Epona as an interesting idea, but the Smash teaser likely deconfirmed it already, and I otherwise dislike the idea of BotW Link having his own character slot as I don't think he's unique enough to warrant a third Link character slot.

Decidueye prediction: 63.71%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x5
Edit: I wrote "Nominating:" then forgot to write what I nominated, oops. Fixed that.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Zelda Newcomer:

Chance:
35% - Despite BotW's success the situation remains the same, there just aren't any great options, either you have to dig into past entries or you'll have to go with the newest flavor of the year. This time the relevant option comes in the form of the Champions, so instead of having one clear option it's now split into four options, and none of them are more important than the others, I feel like any one of them would be a really weak addition. Zelda is an enormous franchise that's hard to ignore for much longer, so I'm still going to give it a decent chance, but it's still difficult to see who exactly they'd add.

Want: 50% - I love the series so much, but it really depends on who they pick, because a lot of the potential characters we're looking at just wouldn't be good additions. I'd absolutely love Skull Kid, who I feel is the most iconic option left, Ganon would be pretty cool too, and Impa would be alright, but beyond that the rest of the options are really weak imo. I don't think Zelda necessarily needs a new rep either, I think whether a franchise needs a newcomer or not always depends on the options at hand.

Nominations:
Skull Kid x3
Lucina x2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Zelda newcomer(s)

Chance: 15%
Unless Nintendo decides to introduce or make a pre-existing character as a new recurrent character to the franchise, it won't happen anytime soon. The series is already well represented, with the main hero + his younger self, the titular princess + her most popular alter-ego and the most recurrent villain.
Anyone else like Midna, Ghirahim and such have been one-offs who are unlikely to reappear in a new mainline game, and the last time Nintendo tried to introduce new recurrent characters, they either finished up being the Jar-Jar Binks of the franchise (Tingle) or fell into obscurity (Vaati). They're all fine as ATs as they were in Smash 4.
The series's best chances for having any forms of new ideas of movesets is in :4link:, :4zelda: and :4ganondorf: getting an overhaul in their gameplay, most specifically based on their Breath of the Wild counterparts for the former two.

Want: 0%
[...] I prefer to see under-repped series like Donkey Kong and rising ones like Xenoblade getting newcomers first rather than a series which has been obscenely over-milked those last 7 years outside of Smash.
Having :4link: who is likely to have a moveset overhaul based from Breath of the Wild is more than enough already.

Noms:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

Decidueye prediction: 56.4%

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I had some time to waste so I used it to update the nomination list. However I won't be able to do that at a regular pace, especially after two weeks from now, which is when I will start having less free time. So here it is, the updated nomination list:

Skull Kid x226
Veteran: Shulk x 217
Anna (Fire Emblem) x 215
Doomguy x 214
Dr. Eggman x 202
Phoenix Wright x 201
Jibanyan x197

Marx (Kirby) x 195
Veteran: Lucina x 190
Concept: No Cuts x 181
Geno x 164
Micaiah x 162
Bomberman x 154
Dark Matter Blade (Kirby) x152
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x148
Blue Bowser x147
Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x144
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x143
Veteran: Lucas x 143
Concept: New story mode x140
Sora x 138
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) x138
Hades x132
Tethu (Ever Oasis) x132
Elma x128
Ashley (WarioWare) x127
Veteran: Mewtwo x125
Banjo & Kazooie x 123
Agumon x120
Sans (Undertale) x120
Qbby (BoxBoy!) x113
Mike Jones (StarTropics) x107
Tsubasa Oribe (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE) x100
Black Shadow x98
Impa x 98
Travis Touchdown x 98
Funky Kong x96
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x93
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x90
Isabelle x90
Urban Champion x88
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x84
Kamek x83
Ganon (not Ganondorf) x79
Lycanroc x78
2B (Nier: Automata) x 78
Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x78
Excitebiker x76
Ryu Hayabusa x70
Labo Related Character x 68
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x60
Octoling (Splatoon) x60
Dark Samus x 58
Azura (Fire Emblem) x 57
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x58
Concept: Skyrim representation x55
Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends with You) x 54
Masked Link x50
Veteram: Roy x48
Klonoa x45
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x45
Lloyd Irving (Tales) x42
Veteran: Greninja x41
Lip (Panel de Pon) x40
Spyro x39
Parabo and Satebo x38
Mipha x37
Linkle x35
Concept: Mother Newcomer x35
Simon Belmont x35
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x35
Cranky Kong x32
Fjorm (Fire Emblem) x31
Zeraora (Pokémon) x29
Doshin the Giant x27
Fawful x26
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Medusa x 26
Balloon Fighter x26
Thwomp (Mario Bros.) x25
Callie and Marie (Splatoon) x25
Tetra x25
Returning game mode: Smash Run x25
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x25
Susie (Kirby) x25
Sophitia (Soulcalibur) x25
Dragonite x23
Concept: Indie Character x 22
Concept: Style Savvy Character x 22
Tingle x21
Scizor x 21
Veteran: Palutena x 21
Arcade Bunny x 20
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x20
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x20
Katrielle Layton x19
Concept: Wars Character x19
Snorlax x17
Poipole (Pokemon) x17
Veteran: Bayonetta x17
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) x16
Django (Boktai) x15
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x15
Sylux (Metroid) x14
Starfy x14
Veteran: Robin x 14
9-Volt (WarioWare) x14
Nia and Dromarch (Xenoblade) x14
Petey Piranha x13
Ray (Custom Robo) x12
Concept: Custom Moves Return x12
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
Concept: Sonic Mania Stage x12
Concept: Capcom Character x12
Veteran: Cloud x11
Veronica (Fire Emblem) x11
Toad x11
Viridi x10
Mach Rider x9
Toon Zelda x9
Concept: F-Zero Newcomer x9
Mimikyu x 9
Veteran: Pac-Man x9
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x9
Stage: New Donk City x9
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x8
Gengar x7
Veteran: Sonic x 7
Incineroar x7
Tails x 7
Gooey (Kirby) x7
Veteran: Dark Pit x6
Zangoose (Pokemon) x6
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x6
Dragonborn x6
Sable Prince x6
Lara Croft x6
Kozukata Yori (Fatal Frame) x5
Double day: Sheriff / Diskun x5
Concept: Decloned Lucina x5
Galacta Knight (Kirby) x5
Morag and Brighid (Xenoblade) x5
Master Chief x 5
Steve (Minecraft) x5
Ninten (Mother) x 5
Concept: Mega Man 11 stage x5
Concept: Return of transformation characters x5
Slippy Toad x5
Concept - Melee/Brawl style Classic mode x5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Concept: Metroid: Samus Returns Stage x5
Asuka x5
Abraham Lincoln (Codename STEAM) x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Cross/Rook/Avatar (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x5
Toon Link x5
Yooka & Laylee x5
Samurai Goroh x5
Caeda x5
Concept: Charizard Remerged with Pokemon Trainer+complete movesets x5
King Hippo x5
Glass Joe x5
Master Hand x5
Hyness (Kirby Star Allies) x4
Rick the Hamster x4
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Ghirahim x4
Mii Fighters x 4
KOS-MOS x4
King Boo x4
Geese Howard (Fatal Fury/ King of Fighters) x3
Mario RPG representation (Including Paper Mario and M&L) x3
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Veteran: Corrin x 3
Porky Minch x3
Veteran: Wii Fit Trainer x3
Specter Knight x3
Solaire (Dark Souls) x3
Tom Nook x3
Advance Wars CO x3
[Rerate] Isaac (Golden Sun) x2
Vaati x2
Nightmare (SoulCalibur) x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Toadette x2
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) x2
Endou Mamoru x2
Concept: Snipperclips representation x2
Tora and Poppi x2
Jeanne (Bayonetta) x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
New Mii Fighter types (concept) x 1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Undertale Representation x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Leo (FE Fates) x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Concept: Playable Master/Crazy Hand x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Marshal (Rhythm Heaven) x1
Tapu Koko x1
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) x1
Hyper Light Drifter x1
Dark Falz x1
Silvally x1
Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) x1
Sukapon x1
Slime (Dragon Quest) x1
Captain Syrup x1
Concept: Tetris Stage or Assist Trophy x1
Concept: Ms.Pac Man alt costume for Pac Man x1
Concept: Entire roster revealed at E3 x1

Edit: to make it clear, this nomination list is current up to the post just above by @Final Smash Gamer

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Zelda Newcomer:
Chance: 75%

Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild have done more for Zelda in recent years than any other Legend of Zelda game increasing interest in the series many fold.

Hyrule Warriors has given fans a chance to try out many other characters outside Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf giving them a rare chance to shine.
Think how popular the Mario cast is outside Mario and Luigi. People love Waluigi, Daisy, Rosalina, Toad, Peach and Bowser and I feel a good chunk of that popularity stems from being able to play as the character. There's a great amount of appeal getting to play AS a character and Hyrule Warriors gave Zelda fans a chance to play as someone other than Link.

With it being a commercial success(at least as far as Wii U titles) and Breath of the Wild being a console seller for the Switch, there's a solid chance.

I don't buy the "Literally who" argument. That's been a non issue since Smash 64 when most the world found Ness and Captain Falcon were unlockable, with a good chunk also unfamiliar with Samus.

Want: 100%

Whilst it's dependent on who, I think it's time for Zelda's cast to grow. I'm hungry for new Zelda content, and I blame Hyrule Warriors nearly exclusively! Here's a quick list of whom I'd be super excited for:
  1. Impa
    Specifically the Hyrule Warriors variant which is ideal as a mix of her other two fight ready appearences. With Sheikah elemental magic available, a giant ass blade that makes Cloud look almost conservative and yes, ninja and samurai skills, Impa offers quite a lot whilst being the most reoccurring character in the series outside Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.

2. Vaati
    Genuinely my favourite Zelda villain and my only real beef with Hyrule Warriors was this guy not being a playable character as I feel he'd have fit well with Ghirahim and Zant as 'Team Ganondorf'. Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures are both amazing Zelda titles that don't get the love they deserve. Could be a great Toon villain foil for Toon Link, allowing some balance between the 'realistic' and 'toon' games.

Four Swords adventure is my childhood. Vaati was awesome and I want him in the game but it'll never happen he wasn't even in Hyrule Warriors.
    Literally the biggest shame in an otherwise perfect roster.

3. Tingle
    A bit lower than the previous two in terms of want, but yes; Tingle! He's no where near as hated in Japan or even Europe, America seems to be the only one with an issue with him. He was easily one of the most fun HW characters to play as with his collection of bombs, balloons, statues and massive explosives. Watching him tear up an army was really enjoyable.

4. Medli
    Super mega unlikely, more so than everyone else on the list but Medli was easily my favourite Wind Waker character. She did get to put in a HW appearance and could easily use her harp...something I wish Sheik did in Smash since it's ALL SHEIK DID IN OCARINA OF TIME. Light based and ground based powers as the Earth Mage and another Toon rep.

5. Tetra
    Okay, another Toon character(I like Wind Waker, is that obvious yet) and indeed another Zelda, but Tetra at least has far more to distinguish her as her own character than Toon Link has to distinguish from Link.
Whilst I'd not be against Ghirahim, Skull Kid or Midna either, those five would get me super hyped for a Zelda newcomer. The only newcomer characters I'd hate would be Toon Zelda(why not Tetra), Toon Ganondorf(why not rework current Ganondorf?) and Toon Sheik(doesn't exist, Tetra is basically Toon Sheik).

Prediction Decidueye; 78%
Nearly everyone's decided(eye) that he's a lock from the looks of things.

Nominate:
Isabelle X 5

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 65%

I think that BotW opens up a high possibility (not probability, possibility) for new movesets for Link AND Zelda. This then leaves the option for older movesets to be held onto by a different version. Link has Tink to hold his but Zelda might need a newbie. Even if that doesn't happen then there's still options for a new villain as Ganondorf gets more ire levied against his Smash portrayal, and even the champions themselves are options. I've predicted a massive shakeup in the LoZ roster in other threads, so I'll leave that prediction here too.

Please give us some new Zelda kits, some BotW references, a proper represented LoZ villain. Give me a better Zelda to play :crying:

Decidueye Prediction: 87.48%

I'll be wrong because how on earth did the general possibility of a new pokemon rep even get lower than that, like seriously.

Nominations:
Spyro x 4
Concept: Advance Wars CO x 1

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 50%

There's still just as many potential newcomers as before, if not more. Half of me thinks Sakurai will ignore it again and just give it more Assist Trophies.

Want: 5%

I just want a more viable Zelda. If that means a rework or Toon Zelda clone, I'm good. I find Zelda's magic attacks aesthetically pleasing and satisfying-to-land, but I need her to be more properly balanced to fully enjoy the experience of playing as her.

Nominations: Lip x5

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Zelda Rep

Chance: 70%
It's a good chance of happening. The main concern is whom. Im counting out wild Link because hes a revamp link. But it stil kind of counts as a new character.

Want: 70%
I would like to see some one new. Any one will do actually.

Nomination: Django x5

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 50% - With Breath of the Wild creating many new characters, and the ballot likely having some decently placed Zelda characters in it, I'd say that the chances we'll see a new character is pretty likely. Question is, who? One of the Champions? One of the Zelda Assist Trophies who didn't make the cut? A fan favorite who did well in the Ballot? A character once considered, but didn't make the cut? Lots of possibilities.

Want: 100% - Normally, I go 50/50 when the new character is uncertain, but I feel that The Legend of Zelda definitely deserves a new character. I'd like to see Midna or Impa, personally, but I'd be more than happy with one of the Champions or some other popular characters.

Nominations: New Story Mode x5

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Zelda Newcomer
Chance: 30%
Sakurai has made it clear since Brawl that he doesn't intend to put anyone outside of the big three in Smash. Midna and Ghirahim all had their chances when their game was the most relevant, but they got relegated to AT status. For BOTW, the obvious potential newcomers would be the Champions, but Sakurai probably feels that having Link and Zelda be based on their BOTW appearance and potentially giving them BOTW moves like Runes or Champion abilities is enough BOTW representation. So no, I don't think any one-shot characters have a chance, but there are a few recurring ones like Tingle and Impa. Tingle is still quite unpopular in America, but Impa has a slight chance.

It would be nice seeing someone outside of the Triforce Trio. Urbosa or Mipha please Sakurai.

Decidueye: 75%

x5 to Geno.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Zelda Newcomer

Chance 70%
Feels like this series needs a new rep not to mention its recent popularity. But no clear pick is the issue I am seeing could be cool if they could do all the champions as one character ala pokemon trainer but I doubt that would work or make sense

Want 80%
new reps are cool with me and some nice choices to have to pick from

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Zelda Newcomer

Chance - 37.5% - While we can all agree that Zelda may be derving a newcomer, it's hard to find a good one. Many characters are one offs that haven't appeared in a while, and while a few reoccurring characters do exist it's hard to justify most of them with the only returning one, Impa, being in a form that isn't conductive to fighting in her most recent and influential-to-smash incarnation. Unless we get a champ, I don't see it.

Want - 70% - A mixed bag. I want more Toon zelda representation, but don't really care for the rest.

Predictions

Decidueye - 76.35% - Should do well...

Nominations

Anna X5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 90%
BotW hype and roster stagnancy. The time is now. And it's also time to put the dumb "no Zelda one-shots" fan rule to rest.

Give me a Champion, preferably Daruk or Mipha.

Predicting a 61 for Decidueye
Nominating Henry Fleming x5

• DARUK - Champion number 2, and the one who's nobody's most or least favorite. He's not as unique (Zweihänder, so an Ike clone, since Sakurai loves making the Zelda series clones), but there is a distinct lack of super heavyweights on the roster
One minor thing I'd mention is that he uses it more like a full on club or hammer anyway, which fits well with the super heavyweight style.

Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 25%
They already have every reoccurring Zelda character except Impa.
A Waluigi supporter probably shouldn't be using importance/recurrence as a major factor, and that's coming from a Waluigi supporter. :p

D

Deleted member

Time for that music

Chance: 15%
This is such a general term that I can't help but be negative about it.
Bias aside, I can't see that happening.

Want: 40%
Again, it's too general, and I don't believe in reps for the sake of reps (And I seem to be the only one here).
Normally I'd say "depends on who that is", but I don't have enough connection to the series to know who's a good choice and who isn't.

Actually gonna try my hand at predicting things today
Decidueye prediction - 78.14%
Prediction that someone will call it "grass starter for the sake of a grass starter" - 100%
I expect to get an extra nom for that, btw.

Nominating Susie Haltmann x5

Tomorrow will be my last RTC for a while, and the only reason I'm still around now is because I have a lot to say about tomorrow's character.

Last edited by a moderator:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Zelda newcomer

Chance 50%
Want 50%

I do see this as a good possibility because they haven’t had one in a long time. The Zelda series is huge and there are tons of characters to pick from, including “one offs”. Just because he hasn’t done it before doesn’t mean he won’t do it now. Besides there’s still characters like Impa. Or a true Ganondorf and of course the member of the forbidden 7 Toon Zelda herself. There are many candidates but in general a newcomer for it is 50/50 i’d Say. Even if we argue that the triforce is complete, Toon Link looks weird alone.

Cranky x3
Kamek x2

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Some of the high chances people give seem to be based on a vague 'gut feeling' and 'deserving' more representation, yet not a specific candidate seems to come up. The reasoning feels out of the air, basing it on reasoning that does not really line up with how Sakurai chooses characters from a planning stand-point.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Zelda Newcomer

While Sakurai doesn't usually pick character specifically to rep a series. The demand from the fanbase for a 'Zelda
Newcomer' is fairly high...in fact Zelda Newcomer is almost as well demanded as some singular characters even though that concept cover about a dozen possible candidates...and it comes down to several factors that may have Sakurai look into the Zelda cast on it's own for characters...
One big thing is Hyrule Warriors, it not only brought familiar faces back into relevance like Midna, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, etc...but also brought new faces like Lana and Linkle into the mix...And some established Zelda characters like Impa and Ganondorf are well liked for their moveset potential...While I do believe the game may have a decent amount of content added into Smash it may not necessarily get a playable character...A major thing to consider about the game is that it basically filled up some space for Zelda while BotW was in development and was a pretty big hit on the Wii U, big enough to warrant both 3DS and Switch ports...with new content...

We've also of course had BotW...One thing I have to point out is that it's release more than likely came way too late for newcomer consideration for Smash Switch...movesets can be reworked for Link and Zelda but adding in a entirely new character is a different story, also as far as contenders from BotW, there isn't much of a standout...we have the four champions, perhaps Sidon and Kass even...but neither character really has an overwhelming amount of popularity over the other unlike say Midna and Ghirahim for their respective games at the time...Impa is a character who's had a lot of support for smash but from BotW she's not really the best incarnation of the character to work off of...

We've also had other Zelda releases and remasters; ALBW happened and characters like Ravio and Yuga could generate some interest and the game did turn out to be a fairly popular title overall during it's release...however I feel a stage is more than likely all we'll get from the game; WWHD also happened, praised for it's beautiful updated visuals and Tetra as a character had a decent amount of support as well, then there's Twilight Princess HD with fan favourite Midna coming back into relevance and being featured in an amiibo to boot...It's not likely that remasters are going to play much of a role in a character's inclusion but while they are re-releases they do give characters recency...
Also there's Triforce Heroes...and....well perhaps it could mean Toon Link in a Zelda costume :p

Overall from where I'm standing, a Zelda newcomer being added into the game is a bit of a tossup...Most likely contenders that could get the nod include; Impa, Midna, Skull Kid, Tetra, and perhaps either Lana or Linkle could even be considered...

But even still, having a lot of likely candidates doesn't guarantee that a character will get in...remember this is for the sake of reps and sakurai, more often than not doesn't look at characters to fill that sort of niche...

Want: 95%
Well, first off, my most wanted character is from the Zelda series, being the one and only Midna...Impa is another character I'd be very much down to see added into the game, and Skull Kid I feel could also add something really cool...despite being yet another form of a character we already have Pig Ganon's vast potential is something to look into as well...
I just feel the series has enough to work with for a new character and (technically) not getting a newcomer since Melee just doesn't sit right with me...

Zelda is a series that I feel sort of needs a new character simply because even though Link, Zelda, and Ganon are mainstays of the series doesn't mean they should be the only characters that people care about in the series...and with smash while the series does get it's fair share of stages and such, as far as the character roster goes, it really needs some work...first of all 2 characters are clones, one of which has heavy demand for a rework...Link, Zelda, Ganondorf are staple low tiers that need some tweaking (even though Link isn't that bad in Smash 4)...

The reason why my want isn't 100% is because there are some characters I'd rather not have in Smash, like Tingle or Lana for example...also no more clones, look at poor Ganondorf and what cloning has done to the poor guy...

----

Prediction:
Decidueye-71.23%

----

Dark Samus x5

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Zelda Newcomer

This stuff is hard to call because based on what we've seen in other franchises, Sakurai typically opts for the most re-occuring elements of a franchise when picking its characters for the party. The exception goes to stand out characters who define an entire era of the franchise (Rosalina, Greninja, Robin) or those who make for easy "additional bonuses" while also having something from the previously mentioned criteria (Lucina). That said, while a lot of people feel as though Zelda is "deserving" of a new representative due to its , I can also see the argument that Zelda is fully represented with its cast. The Triforce Trio + the two flavors of Link are the most prominent members of the franchise by far and cover all the bases. Shiek is a Smash ascendant who remains due to her Smash legacy and popularity as a Smash character. With all these bases covered, who really has a shot at entering in this Smash?

The Champions, Midna (+Wolf Link or True Form Midna), Skull Kid, and any number of other Zelda one offs are fantastically creative characters who would have no trouble being adapted for combat readiness but all suffer from that same "one off" designation that makes it hard to pick someone for their lasting appeal. Impa is a character who despite being almost as reoccurring as the Triforce Trio (and thus even more present than Shiek in the actual franchise), is redefined as seen fit in the different re-tellings of the story. Even with this however, things are more distinct as the Impa most commonly requested is a hybridization of her appearances in OoT & SS with the Hyrule Warriors incarnation.

It's hard to call, but I honestly think Impa is a character with real weight behind their punches. While I definitely see arguments against the character or the idea of a new character, fan demand and visibility through the prime time when this Smash was rumored to be developed could be the make or break for this overall concept and for this particular character.

Want: 80%

Zelda series again has so many fantastic figures who would bring very new things to the table if chosen. My personal want is SS/HW hybrid Impa but I don't think there's anyone you could include that wouldn't be a fantastic addition.

Nomination:

Lip x 5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Zelda Newcomer

Chances
: 40%
Arguably, Legend of Zelda has been long overdue for a new addition for some time now, especially since Mario, its counterpart in significance, had two newcomers in SSB4. Problem is, there's no recurring character that can comfortably fit the bill. Zelda's cast is made almost entirely of people that only belong to their respective eras, making it unlikely that any choice they go for will be completely satisfactory. And after two titles with no real newcomers (if you count Toon Link as essentially the same as Young Link effort-wise), it does appear that this may just be the fate of the franchise. On the other hand, the longer that the drought goes, the more pressure there is that maybe they ought to add at least one Zelda character...

Want: 60%
I don't think the data we'll get for this particular day will be accurate. Plenty of people want to see Zelda get another character, but the question of who that character should be is just too divisive. You'd think people would look at this question as: " Would I take any newcomer from Legend of Zelda, no matter who the heck it is, as long as we finally get another Zelda character?" But that's not going to happen, because the list of Zelda newcomers stretches from the likes of Impa to those as low as Tingle and Linkle. It's hard to support the idea itself when it includes the chances of so many characters that people would rather not see in Smash as playable.

It's not like other franchises where just about anyone would be good enough to represent the game at all - it's a heavily-opinionated brawl over who's the best and most deserving. There's very few characters who wouldn't be directly competing against other characters because their claims are just that similar. Sheik or Tetra, Midna or Fi, Ghirahim or Zant, Vaati or Pig Ganon, Medli or Groose - for any argument you can make for anyone, there's another Zelda character that's using the same arguments, and you will have to fight them to defend your choice. People won't vote for "any Zelda character that'll do", but rather for the one they actually like, while leaving everyone else in the relative dust.

...why's my chance relatively high, then? Well, I'm apathetic enough over who gets in that I'd just like to see another Zelda rep, as long as it isn't either Tingle or Skull Kid. Preferably Tetra, but Wind Waker's ship has been sailing off for a quite a while now.

Prediction:
Decidueye: 78%

Nominations:
Sans (Undertale) x3
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) x2

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I should be able to provide a nominations update tomorrow.

Zelda newcomer chances: 49% combined based on history. It's long overdue though, and there's demand and moveset potential all over the place. There's a dozen candidates including Ganon as a third second form of a Triforce wielder, Impa as a recurring character, Midna as a longtime fan favorite, any of the Champions to represent the newest and arguably most critically acclaimed game of all-time, and more. There's no shortage of characters or movesets for Sakurai and co. to choose from, and that's one of the most important factors.

I'll take two.

Predict Decidueye: 68%

Noms: Sheriff / Diskun x5

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Some of the high chances people give seem to be based on a vague 'gut feeling' and 'deserving' more representation, yet not a specific candidate seems to come up. The reasoning feels out of the air, basing it on reasoning that does not really line up with how Sakurai chooses characters from a planning stand-point.
So from what I understand, one should score this concept based on the chance of the frontrunner candidate getting in?

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
So from what I understand, one should score this concept based on the chance of the frontrunner candidate getting in?
It's generally not a bad way to do things. I think a lot of people voted for 'Generation 7 Pokemon' with Decidueye in mind, and a lot of people voted for 'ARMS Character' with Springman in mind.

However, with a franchise like Zelda, there really isn't an obvious newcomer, so it's kind of hard to work with.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That is assuming that every other character has no chance whatsoever of getting in, in the first place...

Some Zelda characters have a decent chance, at least compared to other Zelda characters...

Megaban

Smash Cadet
ZELDA NEWCOMER
Chance -60%
Honestly, I think it's likely. Zelda does have 5 characters already, but it literally had game of the year recently and is popular enough for one more imo. But it still is already 5 characters and Sakurai COULD struggle to find a suitable newcomer here. There are numerous candidates like Impa, Lana, Tingle, maybe even Midna or Ghirahim, but I think last 2 are most unlikely.

Want -100%
Lana is from Zelda franchise (spin-off is still part of it so). Nuff said.

Nomination: Lana x5

Prediction: Decidueye 75%.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
CD-i Zelda needs a Rep

Chance: 60%

I think their might be a chance for a Zelda newcomer with Breath of the Wild being a huge success. Maybe one of the Champions could get in the game. We already know that Link will have some elements from that game in his moveset or at the very least will use the design as his primary outfit.

Want: 75%

Really depends on who the character in question is. If Decloned Ganondorf counted as a newcomer then he would easily be my number one Zelda newcomer. Same goes with Young Link using his MM masks. Although TBH there's not that many characters I want outside of Link/Zelda/Ganon trio.

Prediction: Decidueye

Chance: 78%
Want: 73%

Nominations

Mike Jones X 3
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf X 2

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Zelda Newcomer

It's been a while since we got a new non-clone Zelda character and we now have many candidates up for consideration, but I don't know if Sakurai cares all that much.

Want: 90%

While I myself don't care much for Zelda, getting a new character from that series into Smash is long overdue.

Predictions:

Decidueye

Chance: 65%

Nomination:

Doomguy x5

Nebelung

Smash Cadet
Zelda Newcomer!

Earlier I posted Midna at 40% and still think she's the most likely of the bunch. So following through on that, I'm guessing a less than half percent chance on this.

I feel that they will honestly declone Ganondorf or Toon Link before a newcomer than anything, but who knows for certain.

Coooome onnnnnn we need at least someone else! People love these games and characters and a lot would be happy to play as one of the unique characters in this series. Missed opportunity, really.

I'd honestly love mostly anyone to come represent, though I do have Midna bias.

Predict Decidueye: 55%

Noms: Sable Prince x5

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Zelda newcomer:
Chance: 25% My main concern is how hard it is to pin down "who." There really isn't an obvious choice. That's the problem with one-offs. With all of them being as important as each other, it makes them hard to stand out. Then again, I won't deny that it is possible that they would try to capitilize on breath of the wild.

I also don't see someone like Ganon happening. With Ganon being Ganondorf's final smash it feels like Sakurai considers them one and the same. And I don't really think there is a loud enough voice to really seperate them. I almost never hear casuals ask for ganon specifically.

Want: 30% I guess if it was Mipha or Midna I would generally be happy. But anyone else is kinda meh to me.

Nominations: Ashley (warioware) x5

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Zelda Newcomer Chances:
55%
I really think it´s time for a new Zelda Character in Smash, especially with the recent success of BotW. In 4 we didn´t have a new Zelda Cha (except the split of Shiek and Zelda). Sure most famous characters only appear in one game (Tetra, Midna, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, probably the BotW Champions as well and so on). But technicly Shiek also only appears in Oot. And then we have Impa, Tingle or even Ganon (not Ganondorf) as possible Characters with multiple appearances. Besides those 3 I also could see Lana to represent Hyrule Warriors. It´s very recent, will soon release it´s definitive Edition and did well. Furthermore I think she could have a very interesting and unique moveset and maybe with the book of sorcery as a weapon she could even include a cucco in one of her moves. And that´s definitely a well known reappearing character ^^
A BotW Character sounds logical at first, but I doubt we will see one. I guess BotW Link would already represent it and Zelda maybe gets a redesign as well. BotW doesn´t really have one new outstanding character. The 4 Champions seem to me most requested but I can´t see them adding all 4 and neither picking only one of them. They will probably include their abilities in BotW Link´s moveset anyway (up b = Revali´s Gate for example). Though I´d actually like to see a Bokoblin as a playable character ^^", but that is a topic for another day.
I could also see one of the fan favourites. They did include a Skull Kid Mii costume and they might use the Smash Ballot for this smash as inspiration.

Zelda Newcomer Want:
100%
Oh man there are so many TloZ Characters I´d love to see. Midna with Wolf Link, Lana/Cia, Linkle, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Bokoblins and so on. TloZ is one of my favourite series and one of the biggest game series in the world but all we got after 4 games are 2 Links, 2 Zeldas (well more or less) and a fake Ganondorf. In my opinion that isn´t a good representation of the Tloz franchise. (And I think they portrayed Link and Tink really well)

Decidueye Predict:
58,82%

Nominations:
5x Fjorm

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Chance: 61%

Calamity Ganon anyone? (Please no.)

Want: 96%

Midna is in my top 10. While she's not my most wanted character, other LoZ characters are scattered around my list. It's not 100% because of the chance of a newcomer being another Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.

Nominations: All for Urban Champion.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Legend of Zelda Newcomer

Chance 50%: I think it's a toss up. The Legend of Zelda franchise is too big and has too many popular characters not to get more representation. Impa, Midna, Skull Kid, and Tingle seem like they'd have the highest chances other than maybe a Champion but I have my doubts about them.

Want 75%: I would love a Legend of Zelda Newcomer but, I don't want more Toon versions and if we get Midna I don't want her forced to partner with Wolf Link. Give me Midna (solo) or Skull Kid please! If we got Impa; I doubt she would be from Hyrule Warriors. I doubt we'd get anything from Hyrule Warriors except maybe a few Trophies.

Nominations:
Jibanyan 3x
Skull Kid 2x

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Zelda Newcomer

It could happen nya, depends if Sakurai will actually wanya look at a character who isn't Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf nya. The popularity of other characters exist nya, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai just updates Link and maybe Zelda nya.

I love Zelda games and wouldn't be disappointed with any nyu Zelda character making it in somehow nya. Preferably I'd wanya see Skullkid, Impa, or Lana get in though nyaaa~

Nyomination
Concept; No Cuts: x5

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Zelda Newcomer
Chance: 35%
I want to say this is more likely, but my gut is telling me Sakurai is only looking to keep the bearers of the Triforce. I doubt BoTW’s overwhelming success wouldn’t help much, considering the roster was probably decided beforehand. However, it’s possible Sakurai could finally bite the metaphorical bullet and add one of the popular characters from the series’ past (a lot of this will fall on the Ballot, imo)

Long overdue. Zelda is one of my favorite franchises of all time, and a big reason for that are all the awesome, memorable characters that appear. Personally, I’m hoping for Tingle, Skull Kid, or Mipha.

Predictions:
Decidueye- 43%

Noms:
Henry Fleming x5

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
New Zelda Character:

Chances: 50%
Not really sure about this one. There aren't really that many characters left to add that aren't one offs. The only one that people really seem to want these days is Skull Kid (me included), and it's really just up to sakurai as to whether he actually gets his chance or not.

I wouldn't be distraught if a new zelda rep wasn't added, but I'd certainly like to see one. Like I said before, Skull Kid would be preferable.

Nomination: Marx x5

Top Bottom