• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances (of Returning) - Day 6 - Mewtwo

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
nomiate falco x5.
anyhoot, advertising or not, they should make Roy just become part of the Smash Bros. Series, since technically, that WAS his first game, and it was buttloads more popular than FE6. opinions aside, it's a head-or-tails chance for him. if it was biased it's be 102.
~Tera253~
^^^ O ya=Roy's awsome. Just needs some originality, but I'm still not sure if he'll return or not. If the SSBB team goes and dumps like 5 characters he's gone, but if 3 or 4 go (which is the max that will leave IMO), then he's got a decent shot of returning.

I agree with everything Tera253 says, it is a coin filp IMO, so I'll give him a 48% chance. Call me biased or unbaised, but I'm still not sure about this character returning or not.

Hmm....Jigglypuff 5x. Jigglypuff would be a intresting character to rate, but not as intresting as Roy.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Only FE characters I can see making it are Marth, Ike and maybe Sigurd or a FE7 character, 5%.

Nominate IC's x5.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I find it interesting that Marth's rating were on average above 80%, but his clone has less than a 10% average. What gives? Is Marth ceriously that important to Melee? Does the fact that everyone use him in tournaments make him inexpendable to the Smash Bros. community? Why's there such a huge gap? Is Roy just not that popular? If so, is it because he's bad compared to Marth? Because FE6 wasn't popular? I just don't get it, especially since 9 out of 10 of you guys haven't even played a game with Marth in it that isn't Melee.

Kirye

Smash Ace
^ - This coming from the guy who thinks Marth is getting replaced by Ike.

Well Roy.. hm.. I give him a 40% chance of return. If Roy will return to the fray, he has to be luigified.

Peach x 5

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I find it interesting that Marth's rating were on average above 80%, but his clone has less than a 10% average. What gives? Is Marth ceriously that important to Melee? Does the fact that everyone use him in tournaments make him inexpendable to the Smash Bros. community? Why's there such a huge gap? Is Roy just not that popular? If so, is it because he's bad compared to Marth? Because FE6 wasn't popular? I just don't get it, especially since 9 out of 10 of you guys haven't even played a game with Marth in it that isn't Melee.
I'm just rating fair, but I think it is because of Marth's roll in Smash tourneys, especially because of Ken and how effectively he uses him, and we all want to be that good=ya. Still, I want Roy in (gasp, I've actually play FE 1 and 3 a little recently, but I couldn't understand it :laugh: ), but I have no clue which way Roy will go.

Still, a Luigified Roy (while still owning, not saying Luigi sucks) would be nice, maybe a bigger sword, buffening him up, or something like that would be nice. I use Roy a lot, but seeing him go would pretty much make me upset, and I'm still not sure if he will return or not... :) ;) :cool:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Kirye said:
^ - This coming from the guy who thinks Marth is getting replaced by Ike.
Well...yeah. I'd appreciate answers more than witty commentary.

Oh look, just what I wanted!

Johnknight1 said:
I think it is because of Marth's rollin Smash tourneys, especially because of Ken and how effectively he uses him, and we all want to be that good=ya.
So far, the answer I have is that Marth's a good tourney pick, and a Korean guy uses him to great effect. So is it his over-balanced moveset that makes him a sure bet to return? Is this what I'm hearing here?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well...yeah. I'd appreciate answers more than witty commentary.

Oh look, just what I wanted!

So far, the answer I have is that Marth's a good tourney pick, and a Korean guy uses him to great effect. So is it his over-balanced moveset that makes him a sure bet to return? Is this what I'm hearing here?
Marth is mainly considered one of the top tier characters, and is one of the most loved and favorited character in SSBM. Plus Ken has been the #1 player on the tour for years, with few loses, and several other big players and good players use him. Still, I just don't see why can't we have Ike, Marth, and Roy all in SSBB. Also Marth was the most desired character to be in SSBM in Japan, and he has had magas, and even a TV series in Japan starring him.

Don't even get me started with cheap characters, the tiers are pretty close IMO, it is just his style is fast, and well-rounded with lots of aerial, and that is why Marth is so heavily loved. Still...Roy gets the cold shoulder soooo much, he's awsome and some people just can't except it. Roy and Marth are both awsome=o ya! :) :) :)

Fawriel

Smash Master
I have a sneaking suspicion that something like this already went down at Smash Bros HQ.
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

And yeah, main reason everyone loves Marth is that he's so darn powerful. No arguing that. If I had been a designer of SSBM and was told to create the perfect character without making it *too* obvious, I would've created him.
That, and I hear he's the first lord, which stands for something. So that's popularity AND some sort of importance as the series mascot as opposed to "some other lord who was just an advertisement".

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
For what its worth Mendez, I totally agree with you. Marth's rating was inflated because of his powerful moveset, not because of his importance to the Fire Emblem series - in my view. I don't think any Fire Emblem character whose game is Japanese-only has any place as a representative of the Fire Emblem series any longer. Instead, we should only have Fire Emblem characters whose games of origin are popular worldwide.

GenG

Smash Lord
Roy couldn't never match Marth in terms of importance: FE6 wasn't that well received, the game was critisized as a stepback in the franchise, the plot was simplistic, etc. Marth have 2 games and a greatest recognition in Japan (even by Nintendo), and he is more recognised worldwide than Roy for many reasons, one of them being a better character.
Roy for instance was a worse clone, like his game. But I don't know why people is throwing him away so early, the same people who wants Lyndis (aka I'm your generic tutorial lord). Roy should return revamped to represent the GBA titles.

I say Roy has 40% chance.

El HP

Smash Ace
Roy is just a crappier version of marth he has no reason to stay in smash unless he gets his own moveset which is doubtful.

0% chance of returning.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I say 35%.

He's very likely to get replaced, but I say he's still the best character to represent the GBA Fire Emblem characters, but GBA FE characters aren't likely at all.

I nominate Diddy Kong's revote x5

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
You guys are being a bit harsh...

60% chance. Here's why: They're getting rid of a few characters, not 3 or 4. Dr. Mario needs to get sacked, and Pichu is a close second. And Y. Link may be replaced... Sheik may not be returning... So I think Roy still has a chance.

Nominate Yoshi x5.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Wait, why is Roy a good rep for the GBA games now?

According to this thread (like, the last page and this one), Roy's game sucked and he isn't popular. Added to that, he's a Japan-only fighter. At least the FE7 cast is popular in one territory, and non-Japanese players ate it up.

Am I missing something here?

Tera253

Smash Ace
I say 35%.

He's very likely to get replaced, but I say he's still the best character to represent the GBA Fire Emblem characters, but GBA FE characters aren't likely at all.

I nominate Diddy Kong's revote x5
it's unconfirmed Melee charcters only.
Diddy<<<Doc
~Tera253~

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait, why is Roy a good rep for the GBA games now?

According to this thread (like, the last page and this one), Roy's game sucked and he isn't popular. Added to that, he's a Japan-only fighter. At least the FE7 cast is popular in one territory, and non-Japanese players ate it up.

Am I missing something here?
Roy's game revived the Fire Emblem franchise and it didn't sucked, I really enjoyed it! Besides, FE7 is the pre-sequel (dunno how to call it >_<) to FE6 so Roy's story had that much impact. Besides, FE7 might be the first international game but Japan hated it and Path of Ridiance also does better here in the west so I don't think we'll get any representive from that game. Also, Roy was in Melee which should give him atleast SOME kinda priority over lets say... Eliwood or Lyn. Hector is about even I'd say...

it's unconfirmed Melee charcters only.
Diddy<<<Doc
~Tera253~
What the hell are you talking about? =/ Please clarify? Besides, there's no proof that Doc would be better than Diddy since they won't ever appear in the same game. To make clarify myself: Doc's out, Diddy's in. Ohhh how I love rubbing this into your face. =)

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
The way I figure it is, clone characters such as Falco, Roy, and Gannondorf have better chances of returning than characters like Pichu, Young Link, and Dr. Mario, because of their beign seperate character identities than the characters they are cloned from.

That is to say Pichu, Young Link, and Dr. Mario are basically Pikachu, Link, and Mario with little twists added.

So i'd say if Marth returns, which i'd give a 60% chance, then i'd give Roy an equal or less chance of returning. If Marth does not return, then I'd say Roy's chances ranges from 35% to 50%.

I'd also like to say that Falco and Gannondorf have equal or less chances of returning as Fox and C. Falcon. Since Fox has been confirmed, I'd say Falco is more than likely to make it to Brawl as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You can't give ranges GameFreak, you can only give one rating and only the character from today. And yeah, Dr.Mario won't return. ;)

TopiSwarm

Smash Rookie
I'd give him as high as 80%. People always whine about him being "unpopular in Japan" or an advert (both mostly false) but he's still at worst, the 4th biggest character in the series, and his chances are, of course, increased from that somewhat lowly number a great deal by being a clone, an effective clone, and an incumbant.

Don't count out t3h ph1r3.

*new to forum, so has no way of knowing how unorthodox said views are here, but assures all that he'd gladly back them up if given the opportunity*

*just had to post when he saw the topic was Roy*

GenG

Smash Lord
or an advert (both mostly false)
But that's true, it's even stated in Melee official page, written by Sakurai himself:

He is the alternate character of Marth, Fire Emblem - The Sword of Seal - (GBA) main character. By the time this article is released (2002 January), this title is not available yet. But that one of concepts of the character. Inside Smash Bros, where many characters appear, he is the only character whose goal is to promote sales. But don't worry. Without knowing the original, the charm of the character stands there, and it probably will immediately become a favorite.
He is not certainly unpopular (he is the most popular GBA FE lord) but the game wasn't well received by the hardcore players. I think Smash made him more popular than the game itself.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
How is Roy the most popular GBA lord? I'm seriously confused here.

One second FE6 is poorly received, the next Roy is super-popular...what gives?

Also:

GenG said:
I think Smash made him more popular than the game itself.
Maybe more well-known, but not more popular. Most people don't like Roy, basically because compared to Marth he's poo.

TopiSwarm

Smash Rookie
Oh? *stands corrected on that one*

*wonders why he hadn't heard that before if it was in such an obvious location*

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How is Roy the most popular GBA lord? I'm seriously confused here.

One second FE6 is poorly received, the next Roy is super-popular...what gives?
I'm lost too on this one=ya. Seriously, people are calling Roy trash one minute, and saying he's the best GBA FE rep the next. I'm totally lost....welll at least it adds to his chances. I'm still sorta lost, some people say he's sucks one minute, then the same people say he's the best possible GBA FE rep for SSBB=???....

Originally Posted by Chief Mendez
Also:

Maybe more well-known, but not more popular. Most people don't like Roy, basically because compared to Marth he's poo.
Seriously, Chief is right here. Still, it did make him quite a bit more popular=ya, but not much, or at least not near the drastic levels Marth reached=ya...

Originally Posted by digifreak642
You guys are being a bit harsh...

60% chance. Here's why: They're getting rid of a few characters, not 3 or 4. Dr. Mario needs to get sacked, and Pichu is a close second. And Y. Link may be replaced... Sheik may not be returning... So I think Roy still has a chance.

Nominate Yoshi x5.
That is exaclty what I think, but if Shiek makes it (or in the rare case Pichhu or Dr. Mario makes it), I don't see Roy returning. But ya, you have a good point, Y Link is gone or more likely become WW Link, Pichu and Doc are out the window, and Roy and Shiek have some chance of returning. But overall Roy has about 2 times the chance of returning as Shiek IMO, but I'm still uncertain about whether Roy, and even Shiek to some extent will return.

Originally Posted by El HP
Roy is just a crappier version of marth he has no reason to stay in smash unless he gets his own moveset which is doubtful.

0% chance of returning.
lol, if someone worked as hard with Roy as Ken did Marth they could be just as good. He's just harder to get used to, and that is all. As a Marth AND Roy user, I can tell you they work way diffrent, and Roy is still pretty awsome. I use them totally diffrent, and Roy is a lot better than most people say.

Roy (along with tons of other characters) are heavily underrated, and if you work on any character a lot, you can be just as good or near as good as someone who uses any other character. :) :) :)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
It's probably too late for this vote to count, but I have been unable to access the internet since Friday evening due to various problems...

At any rate, I'm voting in Roy's favor in that while he is likely to be replaced, there is also a good chance of him staying. Believe it or not, FE6 was in fact one of the best performing Fire Emblem title in recent years in Japan (the best of the GBA) entries. It's also sad to see people give Roy so little credit when it was his game that arguably saved the franchise. I could get into more detail, but I have to get going so I'll just cut to the chase: Roy gets a 75% chance of returning from me.

I nominate C. Falcon 5x.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I give Roy a 55% chance of returning. I like him better than Marth, but since Marth will have more of a chance returning, they might just have Ike and Marth and there goes Roy.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@ Kirye: Okay, I read it. But I don't see how that answers my question. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I still don't know why one second Roy has "no chance" and the next he's the best GBA rep.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yeah...I can somewhat agree with you. Not!!! Come on, he most likely won't be in but he has more than 0... even .001 would have been better but not 0.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
O_o... Your gonna take that Kazuya... well obliviously you are because I don't see any come back or even a ... reply because your taking all this time to read my post... Geez I bet you think you just wasted about 20 seconds of your life now huh...(just joking mildly)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You know chief... just end it because I do not get it either.(but I have not played FE6.)
I second that (but I've played 6 for about a hour or so=ya)...

Originally Posted by Kazuya

I'm that confident.
I'm tempted to own you, but I'll hold back this time...back your evidence up, and read the rules of the thread. C'mon, at least back up your reasoning next time=ya. :laugh:

Top Bottom