• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances (of Returning) - Day 6 - Mewtwo

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
The reason that Roy (despite his strong GBA sales) will probably not return to Brawl is as follows.

FE6 sold well because it had been YEARS since a new Fire Emblem game came out. Fan reaction was strong, and because of Roy's popularity, having appeared in Melee BEFORE his game, it's only natural that his game would have strong sales.

But Roy did not save the franchise. SSBM and FE6 the GAME, not the MAIN CHARACTER saved the franchise.

Marth stands as a pedestal for the entire series. He is the firs lord, and the only lord to star in two games. When I say star, I mean that the story completely revolves around him, and while Ike may be a playable lord in FE 10 (thus making him a main character in two games as well,) he won't have been the ONLY lord in two games. Marth was.

Besides. Roy's time is up. Sakurai already stated he'd rather have an international roster than a Japanese only one. Although I believe Marth will stay since he fathered the series, fans deserve to see a character in Brawl with more international fame. Someone from FE7 or beyond. That way, the game will include one character from Fire Emblem's origins (Marth of course,) as well a simultaneously representing it's "origins" in the western world, perhaps using Ike or Hector or someone.

Is it possible that Roy will be in the next game? Of course. There is no rule set in stone that says there can only be 2 Fire Emblem characters per game. Many Roy fans would be displeased to see thier main leave with only one SSB game under his belt. But the truth is that there are more Marth fans than Roy, and there are many other Lords, both old and new, who deserve a shot at Roy's spot.

I give him a 30% return rate.

C. Falcon X5

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Okay everyone, a bit of an announcment.

I'm taking a vacation starting on Friday. I will be back the following Tuesday night. I am going to update the topic tomorrow and then again on next Wendsday.

Just letting you know...

Fawriel

Smash Master
That's... kind of strange timing. You realize the SSBB official site will update soon, right? There'll possibly be some character announcements...
Basically, this thread should perhaps hurry up a little.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Oh well then... This topic was designed to pass the time until something new is released. If the release of new information causes the death of the topic, then it served it's purpose...

And, to answer your question, no...I didn't know that until about ten minutes ago when I was surfing GF.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Creo, I wouldn't be talking in your place.....................

And that pun was awesome. I know that because I thought exactly the same. =D

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Oh, Creo, I've been meaning to tell you something: your sig has typos in it. Tingle's magic words (that he created!) go: "Tingle, Tingle, KOOloo LimpaH! (Become READABLE!)"

Fawriel

Smash Master
Doei doei!

So!
Mister G&W! Possibly the last character to be discussed here, at least the last one before the new site. How... final.
Well, I see no reason for him not to appear.
-He's actually an original character to the SSB series.
-He would take next to no time to implement due to his simple graphics.
-He's well-liked and generally awesome.
-He's pretty much the most representative in terms of representation, and reps an important milestone in Nintendo's history.

All in all, there IS a chance of him being a one-shot, but I don't really see that. 90%!

Fawriel

Smash Master
*shakes head* That's not what I meant. I meant SSB as in the franchise, and he's an original character because he was created for the purpose of SSBM. Sure, there were various black stick-figures in the Game&Watch games, but there was never an actual character involved. Mr. Game&Watch is a compilation of a whole era.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Nominates for me are Falco X3 and Marth X4. Watch the vid above my URL. It is like yours, but I am more a Tingle fan. HMS is cool to and I like that one. Which part of Clock Town is Tingle in..?

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Hmm, GaW is really cool, but I dunno if ninty wants to include him again, they might use another iconic character. I hope he returns though, he's just so cool. 50%

Y. Link x 5

Edit: Ferro, you should make returning characters a different color in the ratings, not just asterisks, so it's easier to read.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I hate to be the bad guy, but I think that Mr. Game & Watch has a 10% chance of returning.

I love that cool-yet-obscure like G&W can appear as playable characters in Smash Bros, but I don't think they should be made permanent characters in the series. My guess is that both he and the Ice Climbers will be cut in favor of new pair of forgotten characters such as Geno, Balloon Fighter, etc.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Smash Bros is not a retirement home for outdated and forgotten characters. Retro characters still have their place, but unless they represent a currently relevant franchise they should be given a single guest appearance and nothing more.

Luigi X 3, Yoshi x 2

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
95% for the triumphant return of G&W.

Now I need someone else to vote for...

Jigglypuff X 5
Ahh yes G&W....I'll give a 95% as well. he's awsome, retro, and really helped kickstart Nintendo, and is also a SSB original character! Seriously, unless Nintendo wants to hate on their past, I see no reason why he shouldn't return. Not to metion he is totally awsome! :) :laugh: :cool:

Alrite hemightbegiant, way to join the jigglypuff cause!

Jigglypuff x5!

Side note: I was disappointed by the Roy ratings quite a bit.

Other Side Note: Numa Dude is right, it is North Clock Town.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Mr. Game & Watch was most likely not removed, IMO. But this time he won't show upas a secret character I think. They aren't going to shock anybody with him this time, but I see no reason to cut him. He's popular and he's a really funny character. Sakruai really seems to like him too, from what I've seen here and there. I believe a plea for his return was even added to the Toukoken, if I'm not mistaken. I'd say he has around 80% chance of having stayed in Brawl.

Nominate Ness (x5)

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I can't decide, he's too original to get removed, but he is not really that important... 50% (I hope he returns).

Peach x5

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Looks like once again, only me and Wiseguy see the light. G&W gets a 25% from me. A healthy majority of Melee players have never even held a Game & Watch, much less played one.

And on a more practical tone, he's not used (at least in my Smash circle) nearly as much as a worthy character should be. Coincidentally, Doc, Pichu, Mewtwo and Roy don't see much screentime.

Anyway, 25% for G&W, and...I nominate Mewtwo x5.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
hemightbegaint said:
Yes, becuase everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.
See! Everyone knows!

More seriously...yeah, that's how I (or anyone) would see it. You don't agree with me, you is wrong, at least from my perspective.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
See! Everyone knows!

More seriously...yeah, that's how I (or anyone) would see it. You don't agree with me, you is wrong, at least from my perspective.

How come I don't see it that way if everyone sees it like that?

It's not so much we disagree, but more of the "I'm right, you're wrong attitude"

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
So you think most Melee players have so much as touched an actual Game&Watch? If I were to say, for example, that most players had never played a Game&Watch game in some shape or form...then you'd be justified calling that an assumption.

So people don't have personal experience with his games, he hasn't donw anything of note in decades (besides Melee that is), and he really was a "WTF" character (if there ever was one). G&W isn't so integral to Nintendo as to deserve a spot (thereby edging out one of the endlessly more interesting characters suggested on this board).

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
50%

Should return iconic character who was goofy and fun. Hopefully he wasn't squeezed out by too many other newbies. Let's just hope the graphic designers are up to the challenge of updating him for Wii.

Jigglypuff x 5

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
God, like talking to 9/11 conspiricists

So you think most Melee players have so much as touched an actual Game&Watch?
When did I say that?

If I were to say, for example, that most players had never played a Game&Watch game in some shape or form...then you'd be justified calling that an assumption.
If you were to say one of thee original G&W LCD's (which I have played "octopus"), that would make more sense, but the series have been re-released as the "Game and Watch Galleries" on the GB and GBA with a new release in Japan for DS (six in total), Numerous microgames in WarioWare, cameos in Warioland.

So people don't have personal experience with his games
Not everyone buying a Wii is a 20 somehting year old who had a NES or SNES either. Lots of people missed out on Kid Icarus, Metroid, Earthbound, F-Zero and other games.

he hasn't donw anything of note in decades (besides Melee that is)
And that's a big thing. I think alot of people know that.

and he really was a "WTF" character (if there ever was one)
There were alot of suprises in Melee. Those suprises will be bland in Brawl becuase we know they're coming. Should we cut all those things too?

G&W isn't so integral to Nintendo as to deserve a spot
They sure seem to remember one of the factors that saved their company in the electronic gaming department

(thereby edging out one of the endlessly more interesting characters suggested on this board).
I'm confident that discussing characters cut from Melee was early in character development, so if G&W made it in from the start, then the other characters are edged out due to being brought up late in development.

BasementDweller. That's all I have to say.

Top Bottom