• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Ok, hip-hop thread is dead, so this seems like good enough place.

@Worlds End Girlfriend

I like the intro, very chill and ambient, almost haunting. I didn't like how it started getting abstract and kinda glitchy, I usually don't mind that but I was really enjoying the melodiousness. Oh it was only there for about 30 seconds, ok then. I feel this song could be used as overworld music in an old run down town, something like Midgar slums or North Correl from FF7.

Ok wat, that outro made me feel like I got sucked into a skrillex video for 10 seconds. Why? Everything was going so well until that.

Still 8.5/10 Very nice, but a song like that needs its own setting.

My first - Daft Punk "Touch" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH-F_1Sm1Fw

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You skipped the melon!!!!!'s song in this thread. Diddy Kong just posted a song with out any review or rating of the previous song.
Sorry. I tend to not do that, but when everyone is posting "videos" on this page, it literally takes my computer 4-5 minutes to load, freezing my whole computer in the process, and even THEN it's still lagging when it's done. So at that point I just look at the latest song.

Edit: Just saw someone post complaining about embedding videos. Glad it's going to be reduced.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
The intro was too long imo, but it wasn't bad. I liked all the synthesizers, especially the ones in the backgound and transitions , but the effects on the vocals were a little annoying. I liked all parts of the song, some a lot more than others, but I felt like there were too many unnecessary parts and the song was too long. The song would be a 5/5 if it was shorter and only the best parts were kept.
4.2/5

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/535544

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To the song above, didn't expect something like this coming from Newgrounds! It's great actually. Good vocals, and am not even intro electro music but that beat, can't deny I like it. Deep lyrics to, and that's what keeps me in. Strong. 4.5/5

My song, reggae again. Listen to various kinds of music, but mostly reggae, dancehall, dub and hip hop. But reggae is always first place. This is a classic one, proving modern day reggae is still strong.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
To the song above, didn't expect something like this coming from Newgrounds! It's great actually. Good vocals, and am not even intro electro music but that beat, can't deny I like it. Deep lyrics to, and that's what keeps me in. Strong. 4.5/5

My song, reggae again. Listen to various kinds of music, but mostly reggae, dancehall, dub and hip hop. But reggae is always first place. This is a classic one, proving modern day reggae is still strong.

The song starts out as generically as reggae can possibly start, bongo fill, followed by slow beat, higher note from singer, and mellow beat behind. It has the same problem as most reggae does for me: It's just too boring. The lyrics aren't anything too special, from what I was able to understand. Overall, I'm just disappointed by it.

4/10

My song: The Fall Of Troy - I Just Got This Symphony Goin'

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Again, quite surprised of the Newgrounds music again. This one I didn´t enjoy as much as the last one however. It got much better near the half of it though. Still no fan of electronic music, but this was cool. 3.5/5

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I liked the female singers accent. I thought the lyrics were good, I couldn't hear them perfectly though. I liked the instrumental, it was very relaxing and a little catchy. The chorus was very catchy. 5/5
I will save this song in my youtube favorites list.

Enlightenment

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nice guitars at the beginning. And later it got in some nice smooth melody. Liked that transition. And damn, that dude in general seems pretty awesome with that KFC bucket on his head. :laugh: Not bad at all! 4.5/5 consider this high, cause I normally don´t even listen to this kind of music.

Straight from Amsterdam here:

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Nice guitars at the beginning. And later it got in some nice smooth melody. Liked that transition. And damn, that dude in general seems pretty awesome with that KFC bucket on his head. :laugh: Not bad at all! 4.5/5 consider this high, cause I normally don´t even listen to this kind of music.

Straight from Amsterdam here:

Once again, I couldn't understand a word he was saying, but the rhythm behind him was actually pleasant. It had a subtle old vs. new school feel to it that I could greatly appreciate. Once the guy started trying to rap, I just sort of stopped paying attention to him and listened more to the changes in the music in the background, which were subtle but interesting choices.

5/10, would listen to if just instrumental.

My song: A Lot Like Birds - Vanity's Fair

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Haha, i'm gonna complain about the vocals, too... :D Well, not that there was something inherently wrong with those screamy things, but they just tend to be not my thing.
Luckily, I can live with pretty much anything in terms of vocals, so that's just minor... And the instrument parts are really well done. They somehow fail to feel too interesting to me, but I can't even say where they are going wrong.

So all in all in terms of personal enjoyment 7/10. In terms of "trying to be objective about something entirely subjective" I'd have to rate them quite a bit higher ;)

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_GUSGP5Jig

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
@Xyzz
I loved the song until the vocals came in, I actually thought about saving it to my favorites. The vocals ruined what could have been one of my favorite songs :( I couldn't hear most of the lyrics with the screaming. The instrumental is excellent. I love the fast drum beat and the guitar melodies. The guitar sounds so good.
3/5
Glorios Morning - Waterflame

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Guys seriously, stop embedding/quoting video pages. A link will suffice.

@BlueXenon

This song does feel like a glorious morning to me. At least, if you were living in thy olde times. For the most part though, it has a very video gamey feel to it, especially when the "bass" kicks in. Pretty cool song. Short, sweet, and to the point. Can't think of many occasions I'd be in a mood to listen to it, but I can see why it would be appealing.

Out of a 10, I'll give this a 10. Which means...

No thank you
I'll pass
It aiiite
I'll stream it
Awesome Possum

Pendulum - Encoder

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's not really my type of music. I'm not a fan of the type of voice the vocalist has. I was diggin' the intro at first though. It had an almost rock-twist of OceanLab feel. Overall, it's just not my personal taste. I see the merit in the music and lyrics, just isn't what I'm into. So I don't feel right giving it a score. I do think after 3:00 the song got better. Again, the music is actually pretty good, just not a fan of rock or vocals.

Adventure Club - Retro City (LOUDPVCK Remix)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It's not really my type of music. I'm not a fan of the type of voice the vocalist has. I was diggin' the intro at first though. It had an almost rock-twist of OceanLab feel. Overall, it's just not my personal taste. I see the merit in the music and lyrics, just isn't what I'm into. So I don't feel right giving it a score. I do think after 3:00 the song got better. Again, the music is actually pretty good, just not a fan of rock or vocals.

Adventure Club - Retro City (LOUDPVCK Remix)
nice start, but i feel like this is a precursor to something i'm going to hate.

i like this snare sound a lot, very snappy and clicky.

the first drop here is really damn good actually. i like all the atmospheric noises going on around the synths.

love the buildup around 2:00...but i do wish it would have led into a different drop instead of just the same thing again. still lots of fun and pretty dreamy to boot. i like a lot of trap music when it has less dubstep influence and this track doesn't have too much! i could probably do with a few more vocal samples to spice it up a bit but overall not bad!

3.5/5

me: brontide - tonitro http://youtu.be/Z9Mxy4zEMEc

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
The intro was very slow and it got boring, it was over a minute. I love the electric guitar when it comes in. It sounds so good and its very relaxing. The drums sound good too. I felt like the song would have been much better with male vocals, because the whole time I felt like something was missing.
4/5
Never Ending Sleep

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
!!!! New Brontide? sick. And Blue liked it so it must be good

It was pretty easy to foresee how the song would play out once it started.
I like the tempo change at :18. In fact there are just enough changes in pace to keep my ears interested for the extent of the song, which feels remarkably short once it's all over.

But nothing in the track stands out. There's no part that I can really look forward to hearing when I play through it again. And I can't accept its nature as a dance tune to vindicate it, it doesn't really stand on it's own as a song. It's background music.

It's not undetailed, and it's not ugly. But I gotta sink my teeth into something here, man.
:urg: [ :ohwell: ] :) :bee: :awesome:

The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCdwKhTtNNw

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I like the tempo change at :18. In fact there are just enough changes in pace to keep my ears interested for the extent of the song, which feels remarkably short once it's all over.

But nothing in the track stands out. There's no part that I can really look forward to hearing when I play through it again. And I can't accept its nature as a dance tune to vindicate it, it doesn't really stand on it's own as a song. It's background music.

It's not undetailed, and it's not ugly. But I gotta sink my teeth into something here, man.
I thought the melody at :45 would be enough ; it was louder than all the other instruments. But I agree with you.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
!!!! New Brontide? sick. And Blue liked it so it must be good

The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCdwKhTtNNw
I want to say I've heard this song somewhere before. I think it came on the radio once before. I don't hate his voice, but don't go crazy over it. It's solid, and I like how he sings this song in terms of going from slow to fast to slow in his verses/choruses. I love the drums that come in during the chorus. They sound magnificent when you have some good pair of headphones on. I'm just not a fan of the bridge, just because it shifts a bit too much from the verses in terms of style. Sometimes clash of style is good, but not this in case IMO. It becomes fine once he starts singing again, but that brief period is meh. Also, the way he sung it in the beginning, I couldn't help but think of Jason Mraz for a bit.

Overall, this is a terrible song.

No thank you
I'll pass
It aiiite
I'll stream it
Awesome Possum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsqIN8V6u1c
Alt-J - Fitzpleasure

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
That's some pretty mellow stuff. I could get into this though I also halfway wonder if I wouldn't appreciate the lyrics more if I were on drugs. The way the song is segmented is interesting because it seems like it shouldn't flow in the way it does. Somehow they've managed to turn ambient soundscapes into something resembling pop music. While this isn't typically the sort of thing I'd listen to I still think it's pretty interesting and I appreciate what they're doing. 6-7/10ish.

Blackmore's Night - Where Are We Going From Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEIMSxvGXVE

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
That's some pretty mellow stuff. I could get into this though I also halfway wonder if I wouldn't appreciate the lyrics more if I were on drugs. The way the song is segmented is interesting because it seems like it shouldn't flow in the way it does. Somehow they've managed to turn ambient soundscapes into something resembling pop music. While this isn't typically the sort of thing I'd listen to I still think it's pretty interesting and I appreciate what they're doing. 6-7/10ish.

Blackmore's Night - Where Are We Going From Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEIMSxvGXVE
I love the atmosphere this song is bringing out. The singer's voice is nice, but a bit imbalanced. She seems to go a bit too hard on the wrong words/notes, but overall it isn't too bad at all. Lyrically, the message is good, and some good imagery in the lines. In the end, I'm left with wanting more from the song, there's no real progression to be found here, which is a shame. I was waiting for a bridge to come with her raising her voice a bit, going up an octave, and the acoustic guitar and violin to really have a good quarrel for which was more interesting. Sadly, it did not come to pass, the song just leaves.

7/10

My song: Periphery - Ragnarok

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
^ It's metal, so I really don't like it much... Sorry. Guitars are great, but am not into the sort of vocals. But it's much better listenable cause the guy doing the screaming doesn't do it so loud as it totally gets me off immediately. So that's a plus I'd guess. 5.5/10

This song just sticks in my head :laugh: The fact it's both Jamaican and Dutch produced does it for me though! Was always a fan of all these artists, now they are combined into a very unlikely, but awesome combination.

With clip:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Uhm probably once, since I can't recall anyone saying that to me earlier.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You guys do know that embedding tons of youtube links kills people's browsers, right?

yeah embedding is annoying as ****
it literally takes 45sec-1minute to load this page for me due to embedding, thanks diddy kong for continuing to embed after several people cited troubles. and not even reviewing a song.
Sorry. I tend to not do that, but when everyone is posting "videos" on this page, it literally takes my computer 4-5 minutes to load, freezing my whole computer in the process, and even THEN it's still lagging when it's done. So at that point I just look at the latest song.

Edit: Just saw someone post complaining about embedding videos. Glad it's going to be reduced.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
6.5/10, interesting sound, catchy. Just not really my thing. Not bad though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR75Qv3Mv5A

Think Pink Floyd but done in the 90's. I highly recommend finding the 2nd phase if you are interested
You're a wuss, Derp. XD

I'm not sure I completely agree that the song signifies what it does: A bad LSD trip. I like the flow when it starts out, but I'm longing for a change in the beat about halfway through, The like the spoken word, it really changes the flow of the song, and when it comes in as the instruments change, I began to feel a bit of a chill, expecting a dark turn. Oddly enough, it didn't come, actually turning into a more optimistic keyboard section, with the drums taking up the same simple beat.

I keep looking for more drastic changes in the flow of the song, considering it is meant to show the slow drop into the bad trip, but they just don't seem to come with this particular movement. Maybe I would find them in the next part, but this first part leaves me feeling a bit disappointed.

5/10

My song: Arsonists Get All The Girls - Beast Fist

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
You're a wuss, Derp. XD

I'm not sure I completely agree that the song signifies what it does: A bad LSD trip. I like the flow when it starts out, but I'm longing for a change in the beat about halfway through, The like the spoken word, it really changes the flow of the song, and when it comes in as the instruments change, I began to feel a bit of a chill, expecting a dark turn. Oddly enough, it didn't come, actually turning into a more optimistic keyboard section, with the drums taking up the same simple beat.

I keep looking for more drastic changes in the flow of the song, considering it is meant to show the slow drop into the bad trip, but they just don't seem to come with this particular movement. Maybe I would find them in the next part, but this first part leaves me feeling a bit disappointed.

5/10

My song: Arsonists Get All The Girls - Beast Fist

Don't really dig deathcore music all that much, but wow, I really dig the vocals. I don't really know what else to say; the song is only a minute long XD

3/5

Big Black - Colombian Necktie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzKD070cy8

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Don't really dig deathcore music all that much, but wow, I really dig the vocals. I don't really know what else to say; the song is only a minute long XD

3/5

Big Black - Colombian Necktie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzKD070cy8
That is the worst guitar I ever heard. Im assuming this guitar sound is normal for this kind of music. I can't understand any of the lyrics, the vocals are so quiet. I can't even hear the drum beat during some parts of the song. I can't tell if the artist intentionally drowned out everything except the guitar or not. I'm sure this is a good song that other people would love, but it doesn't appeal to me at all.
2/5

Thinking of You

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I love Song About ****ing!

Another shameless plug, eh?

All right, first listen, nothing stands out really, except I just can't get over that rising synth that clearly indicates a transition or drop. It doesn't really even matter that it wasn't really a drop afterwards, I just hate that rising sound. At least give me something surprising after it.
It's a lot of whoops and whirs.

On second listen, I like when the drums are at a lower tempo than everything else. When it gets more ambient around 1:45 it's nice, then I realized what the problem was. After that next "drop" (like after the first one), there are simply too many things vying for the spotlight. Your songs are a bunch of melodies and beats that happen to be in the same room.
You ought to focus on an idea. A riff, rhythm, a sample, anything, and build a song complimenting it. Get more complex later, cuz dude, these songs of your are just really boring.

Mini Mansions - "Heart of Glass"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTwI1Jijo5Y

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
I love Song About ****ing!

Another shameless plug, eh?

All right, first listen, nothing stands out really, except I just can't get over that rising synth that clearly indicates a transition or drop. It doesn't really even matter that it wasn't really a drop afterwards, I just hate that rising sound. At least give me something surprising after it.
It's a lot of whoops and whirs.

On second listen, I like when the drums are at a lower tempo than everything else. When it gets more ambient around 1:45 it's nice, then I realized what the problem was. After that next "drop" (like after the first one), there are simply too many things vying for the spotlight. Your songs are a bunch of melodies and beats that happen to be in the same room.
You ought to focus on an idea. A riff, rhythm, a sample, anything, and build a song complimenting it. Get more complex later, cuz dude, these songs of your are just really boring.

Mini Mansions - "Heart of Glass"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTwI1Jijo5Y

Pretty decent cover, I dig the psychedelic pop influence. The vocals kinda suck tho.

3/5

Brand New - Degausser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-yaTMXph_c

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Pretty decent cover, I dig the psychedelic pop influence. The vocals kinda suck tho.

3/5

Brand New - Degausser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-yaTMXph_c
you should actually put effort into your review. look at the post you are quoting and take notes. a one sentence review is the definition of no-effort, and is beyond disappointing to realize that the person might have not even listened to your song because they said nothing about it and it's obvious that they only care about the song they came to post. for example...

Brand New - Degausser:

it's ok, it's a slow alternative or indie rock ballad. not bad but not amazing..

3/5

kanye west "blood on the leaves" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QcxWPB59o

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
If the audience can tell whether you have a bassist or not, you're doing it wrong!
You can easily hear the bass in every song I ever made. I don't think it's wrong, I like the sound of it with the melodies.

I don't like the high pitched voice, its very unnecessary and I don't think it helps the song. I like the short snare roll in the drum beat but I don't like the snare, the volume is too low and this snare sample doesnt match the kick imo. I like the instrument at 2:44. I don't think I heard anything like it before. I felt like the song was lacking high notes. A few high notes on the piano would have been nice to hear through out the song.
4/5
I found this song from someone's skype status
Sleeping with Sirens - Free Now

Top Bottom