• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the last game you finished!

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I didn't actually finish it, more like gave up (for now) due to severely underestimating the time investment, but...

Legend of Mana (PS1) - 5/10

+ The game nails its aesthetics (most of the time). Beautiful background art, great soundtrack, probably my favorite intro song in any game that's not named Wild ARMs.

+ SO much customization. You can choose your gender (no gameplay difference, to my knowledge) and weapon from the get-go. Then you get to pretty much build the world map however you feel like, which has some importance that I'm not aware of, but it was super neat when I played it as a kid, and it's super neat now. This isn't counting the monster raising, golem building, and like three other systems of customization.

+ The four main arcs have a pretty solid story. It helps that two of them (Jumi and Dragon) lead to my favorite dungeons in the game.

+/- There's not a lot of direction toward the mid-game, it basically boils down to 'place new artifact, go to place. If dungeon, clear it out. If town, talk to anyone with a unique model or color scheme'. Also the dungeons are kind of maze-like, with a lot of places looking the same and you without a map, so that could be an issue too. Again, half'n half since some people like that kinda thing, but I got a bit tired of it after a few hours in.

+/- The game's customization is a bit too much for its own good, so it's both a negative and a positive. It's one of the few games that I would straight up just say play with a guide handy, else you'll miss out on a ton. That's if you particularly care about all of the sidequests and writing and all that.

- Speaking of the writing, it's all over the place. It's really... weird, and not in a particularly silly way like Psychonauts or anything. It's just... sometimes it's pretty solid, the other times it's as stiff as a board. Nothing really seems to fit, outside of the four main arcs, which leads me to...

- The character designs. Some of 'em (the Jumi characters, Nicollo, most of the human-looking ones) work out really well and feel like they belong! ... And then you go into a shop and meet a giant teapot thing with a cockney accent. It's like the game was kind of a dumping ground for things that Square wanted to use, but couldn't because it didn't fit.

- The controls are horribly clunky, especially in battle. It feels like you're trying to move on a grid, but have the illusion of free movement due to how everything looks, so everything feels so incredibly stiff and unpleasant. I may have just missed a setting or my controller is wonky or something, but it's a big issue.

It's certainly not a bad game by any means, but it's not something I'd pay too much for. I think it goes for ten bucks on the PSN store, so if you like kinda weird, experimental JRPGs that do some neat things, then you might want to grab it, maybe? I'd personally wait until five bucks due to a sale or find a cheap hard copy somewhere. Or just head over to the LP Archive and read or watch an LP of it, since the game is deceptively long.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (PC, Steam Re-release): 8/10

Overall:
+ Very user friendly options wise.
+ Excellent music, some great and memorable tracks.
+ Visuals looks just as good as they did on the Gamecube and previous PC release.
+ Mission Mode, Chao Garden, and Trials add replay value to a game you normally speed through.
+ Chao Garden is a fun and relaxing side-game.
+ Interesting, if a bit silly at times, story for a Sonic game.

- Very buggy, physics bugs are common. I nearly game over'd on Sonic's first level due to constantly falling through the floor.
- Many characters share the same bosses and levels.
- Voice acting is a little cheesy or bland at times.
- Content lacking from original(well, original of DX) Gamecube release.
- Movement feels a bit silly at times, with certain characters being hard to control when they get enough speed.
- Horrendous camera.

Sonic:
+ Fun and fast gameplay, feels closest to a 3D version of the 2D Genesis titles.
+ Longest of the stories.
- Upgrades only add onto his Light Dash move.
- A few levels feel extremely slow and boring.

Tails:
+ The racing concept is fun.
+ Story-wise, is the second best. It was nice to see Tails develop from a character who just follows Sonic to one who is capable of taking on the villain by himself.
- Upgrades felt useless compared to other characters'.
- Levels don't feel too different from Sonic's.

Knuckles:
+ Treasure hunting is a neat idea for Knuckles.
+ Level design encourages you to explore and use Knuckles's abilities.
- Sometimes can get a bit boring compared to other characters.
- Wall climbing can get a bit glitchy at times.

Amy:
+ One of the better stories, as it develops a character for Amy beyond the "fangirl with a crush" characterization presented in CD.
+ ZERO constantly harassing you is a neat way of having the player not loaf around.
- The shortest of the stories, leaving more to be desired if you're a fan of the gameplay.
- One of the easiest stories.

Big:
+ The fishing works...mostly.
- Worst, plot-wise.
- Not really all that fun compared to the other stories.
- The fish AI can get silly.
- Feels the least Sonic-like.

E-102y:
+ The best written of the stories, easily the most enjoyable plot in the game.
+ Surprisingly, shooting through a level as fast as you can fits well into a Sonic game. Extremely fun.
- On the short side.
- Feels a bit hard to control at times.

Overall, I feel that this remake of Sonic Adventure was pretty well-done. It's a port of a port of a port, but it's not as good as the previous versions of it. It doesn't run as well as the older (For me, anyway) PC version, and lacks content of the Gamecube version. However, many of the gameplay elements still hold up to this day, and feel fun to play through again.

Also, IMO:
Gameplay:
Sonic>E-102>Tails>Amy>Knuckles>Big

Plot:
E-102>Tails>Amy>Sonic>Knuckles>Big

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All

+ Dialogue is generally well written. It's heavy enough when it needs to be, but has plenty of nice touches of comic relief throughout (poor Detective Gumshoe indeed).
+ Characters are interesting and well written, though one or two characters in the third case rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Then again, it is set in a circus, so their quirkiness is justifiable.
+ The plot generally works, and does its job of keeping you engaged throughout the game, and making you want to continue to the end. The final case in particular is good at this, while also posing an interesting moral dilemma (which I'll avoid going into in detail because of spoilers).
+ The music is pleasant enough, though as a whole I think I preferred the music from the first game.
+ If you feel like it, you can yell "OBJECTION!" and point at your DS along with Phoenix.

It's a visual novel, so it needs the above three things - plot, dialogue, and characters - to succeed, and it succeeds on all three counts. You can't really pass judgement on its gameplay, since it's just "point at stuff and click" (the pointing and clicking does its job though).

- The culture of the game's world is almost too Japanese for one to believe it's set in the US. Kurain Village in particular sticks out here, as well as the game's portrayal of the justice system adhering moreso to how that of Japan worked prior to 2009. (it is a Japanese-made game, but still...)
- It's the same basic game as its predecessor, the only major change being the addition of the Magatama and Psyche-Locks (being able to present peoples' profiles doesn't really count, since all it does is give you ten options for the "who's the real killer?" question instead of three). I mean, the formula works, and why fix what isn't broken, but still... (sort of links to my next point)
- Doesn't implement the touch screen or microphone in any meaningful way (the previous game at least tried with the bonus fifth case), though this can mostly be attributed to it being a straightforward remake of a GBA game.
- Had practically zero grammar/spelling checks. The whole game is laden with bad spelling and grammar, and sometimes questionable turns of phrase, which can often break the mood the game is trying to convey. (I have this "lack of polish" sort of complaint with every Capcom game I've ever played, even RE4, as good as it is otherwise.)
- So many death penalties get handed out; literally every case ends in the person found guilty receiving capital punishment (this apparently applies to the entire series?). Not trying to get into a debate on the death penalty, and I realise this is a game series where you're investigating murders, but the death penalty being everywhere just seems to me to clash heavily with the game's otherwise colourful presentation.
- Yelling "OBJECTION!" and pointing at your DS along with Phoenix is probably going to make you look like a prat.

But like I said above, as a visual novel it needs to succeed on plot, dialogue, and characters, which it does, so the cons are not heavy enough to make me object to rating the game highly.

So, my verdict is... 8.25/10. :smash:

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wario Land 3
Rating: 9.4

It's hard to choose which Wario Land is the best, but if I had to choose, it'd have to be Wario Land 3. The gameplay is just like Wario Land 2, except instead of getting to the end of the level, you need to find a certain colored key and find the matching chest. When opened, you'll get either a power-up or a treasure that usually unlocks a new level (or makes previously inaccessible areas accessible). The game feels like a mix between Wario Land 2 and Metroid, and it works great. The only bad thing I have to say is that it can be annoying trying to find certain treasures (since they may require a treasure from another level to reach), but even then that's just a minor complaint. It's definitely one of the best GBC games I've played.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

9.5/10, would play again.

Perfect in most aspects, the only downside is the villain of the game barely appearing until the final moments of the game. The music is absolutely fantastic (based Shimomura), the Marioverse characters are as quirky as ever, the gameplay is satisfying (well, the mini games are a bit annoying, but ut is not big deal) and the boss battles are extremely fun. So good.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Pokemon LeafGreen

7/10

This was a decent remake of the game that started the media juggernaut that we all know and love. The music is still great, and the characters are exactly as you remember them, and the experience playing it for the first time is just splendid. The repetitive grinding is pretty annoying though, and the relatively small amount of Pokemon in this game can really hit you on how far we've gotten since Red & Blue. If you're coming into this game after trying out the later installments in the series, you might be underwhelmed by the lack of content compared to those titles. Still, I enjoyed revisiting this game from my childhood.

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
Warning Received
getting all the challenges on smash 3ds lol so i think that counts

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Rune Factory 3 ------------9/10 --------<3

An incredibly simple game,yet has the correct amount of depth in its mechanics and concepts! To put it short its a pleasant game to play with alot of things to do. if your into RPG fantasy,''farming sim'', with soft dungeon crawling you know what mean. XD Finished it a month ago and coulddnt be more sad that its over. :'-( haha. I liked all the characters, design wise. some personalities were interesting. With Red head Raven being best girl and pretty well written antics of other characters. It was hard to put the game down on my breaks XD

Did i mention this was on the ds? Portable games are hard for me to finish or be invested in, but this one takes a large bite of the cake. Overall a fun game, try it out when you have the time!

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I actually beat this about two weeks ago, but...

Final Fantasy X (HD Remake)

Good -

The battle system is probably the best it's ever been, with the ability to not only swap gear in combat (helpful when rocking Tidus's Brotherhood against something that absorbs water), but also party members, which is something I've only seen one other JRPG do (Star Ocean 4, if you're wondering). The game really rewards you for swapping in a smart fashion, especially in the bosses, which are delightfully puzzle-y in nature.

The game is beautiful and the soundtrack actually tops FF9, with To Zanarkand as the new contender for my favorite Square song. When the game decides to go full cinematic (one of the best examples being the Blitzball/Sin cutscene in the beginning), it does not **** around.

The story! I actually knew a lot of the big twists in FF9 before going in. A friend told me them way back when the game came out on PS2, because I never figured I'd play it. Oops. Even with that, FFX has a great story that makes it looks like its blown all of its secrets as early on as the second town, but actually has a lot more going on. It's also the only game that made me cry during the final battle.

The Sphere Grid is like the best thing ever and gave me an unhealthy obsession with super huge skill trees (see: Digital Devil Saga 2 and Path of Exile).

Bad -

The random battle music is probably the worst in the series, along with being catchy as all get-out. So you're going through these random battles and that stupid song will not get out of your head. By the end of the game, I had the TV muted for the better part of my grinding.

This isn't a negative for me, but it could be for others. The game is super linear until the last dungeon, and even then (this is the negative part for me), navigation is kind of a pain in the ass, as a far number of save points don't link up to the airship.

The Chocobo training and race is horrible and I kinda hate whoever made that section. Blitzball is also kind of a slog to get going in, considering that your players (who aren't Tidus) are complete jokes until you either level them up or recruit new ones. It doesn't help that Blitzball is how you (randomly!) unlock Wakka's overdrives.

The voice acting is weird at times, and I'm not talking about that forced laughing scene. A lot of the lines, especially just before fights or during action scenes are rushed, with the voice actors spitting out a ten-word line in about a half-second. Also, some of the inflection and tone is strange, too. Yuna in particular is really bad about that one.

Verdict -

While I still like FF9 more, FFX was a great game. I don't really have a lot of complaints about the meat of the game, aside from the really horrible random battle music and awkward-in-spots voice acting. If you asked me to give it some kind of numerical score, I'd have to go with a Final Fantasy 10 out of 10. I'm so sorry.

Reila

The random battle music is probably the worst in the series
How dare you! It is hands down the best in the series.

Great review, though. I still need to finish FFX. I think I dropped it after that boss fight that Seymour helps you.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

9/10

+Brilliant atmosphere, which isn't horror but still suspenseful.
+Clever story involving AI morality and human interaction.
+Innovative puzzle based gameplay remeniscient of Portal.

-Some puzzles will baffle you for long.

Worth the two TF2 Mann Co Supply Crate Keys I sold for it during the Summer Sale.

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
The walking dead: Season 1 and 2

10/10 for season 1, 8/10 for season 2.
Season 1 had so many characters you got attached to that I didn't really find in 2.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
Final Fantasy VII 7/10

+ Excellent sound track as expected from a FF game.
+ Materia system adds great depth to the combat system
+ Good chunk of main story and side quest content.

+/- Byotiful hand drawn backgrounds....that clash horribly with the blocky character models.
+/- plot was interesting, good twists but is brought down by the characters whom for the most part are uninteresting/bland or just poorly written.

- Graphics are outdated and do not hold up remotely now a days.
- Summons are far too long and are unskipable, disrupting the flow of the game.
- End game content difficulty spike (as usual in a FF game) too high, grinding pretty much a necessity as a result.

I could Make a long review like i normally do but those are like normally 6-9 Pages on word so a TL:DR of the main points seems fair enough.
FFVII i couldn't see at all why it was peoples favorite/best game ever. it wasn't a terrible game but looking at it from a perspective without nostalgia, i could see why it would be praised heavily at the time. frankly though several aspects of the game simply don't hold up and the game suffers because of it. couple that with the fact that the cast is hard to like for me, (partially because of the lack of voice acting, but also because most characters don't have much depth at all) and you've got me calling an overrated but still good game here.
nothing to write home about and not easily recommendable but hey, its FFVII. chances are you've already played it and or are going to play it anyway, to which there's easily 30+ hours of content here. a good chunk of time to sink into.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dark Souls

8.5 / 10

+ Epic, interconnected worlds

+ Lots of variety in weapons, armor, and spells

+ Intense combat that rewards smart decisions, and there is a huge variety of
enemies and bosses alike

+ Awesome soundtrack

- Online is terrible. It's rare to ever find co-op partners but you'll always end up killed
by a PvP invader who is always better at you in Dark Souls.

- Difficulty spike towards the end of the game, with really lame and gimmicky bosses

- The inability to respec your character that you've made. If you want a different
playstyle, you'll have to make a new save file. In a game this hard, that is unfair.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
It spiked near the end? I always found that filling the Lordvessel was one of the easier parts of the game.

Reila

There should be a picture of Bed of Chaos in every post with the words "lame and gimmick bosses".

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It spiked near the end? I always found that filling the Lordvessel was one of the easier parts of the game.
I don't know, I find Blighttown to be easy once you know what you're doing and you play it safe.

- The Duke's Archives is obnoxiously hard for the same reason as the Shrine of Amana from DS2, the combination of fast and strong melee enemies and spell-slinging asshats from the sidelines. Seath himself is not really that difficult.
- Tomb of the Giants is really hard if you don't know how to speedrun though it or don't have a reliable light source. Nito isn't too hard on NG thanks to heavy armor.
- New Londo is not hard either, but the Darkwraiths are if you aren't careful. Sif is a bit of a pain for me, as well. The Four Kings, again, aren't too tough with heavy armor.
- Lost Izalith actually is the easiest for me in terms of enemies, but Demon Firesage gives me a really hard time, not to mention
Bed of Chaos
can go **** herself.

All in all, the game is harder for me in the second half, but the reason I say it's an annoying difficulty spike is solely due to The Duke's Archives, which is supposed to be done first anyway. The rest is just not as well-designed as the first half.

Last edited:

Reila

Really enjoyed my experience with the game. Great graphics and level design, the narration is engaging (though it is hard to understand what Rucks says at times, due to the action and the amount of enemies you have to fight at the same time), fluid gameplay with some fun mechanics, etc. The story is quite bizarre and honestly, I am not entirely sure what the game was about. I need to read about it to further understand its plot.

Either way, great game! Now I need to finish Transistor, which I have since the release, but am yet to finish.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The battle system is probably the best it's ever been, with the ability to not only swap gear in combat (helpful when rocking Tidus's Brotherhood against something that absorbs water), but also party members, which is something I've only seen one other JRPG do (Star Ocean 4, if you're wondering). The game really rewards you for swapping in a smart fashion, especially in the bosses, which are delightfully puzzle-y in nature.
Golden Sun 2 lets you swap party members in combat (after a certain point when you get enough members to swap with). Not gear though.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
POSTAL 2: Complete Edition (PC, Steam): 7.5/10

+ Decent visuals for the time.
+ Great humor, even if it gets a little offensive to certain peoples. Postal Dude's little quips can make you chuckle in-between fits of maniacal laughter from manslaughter.
+ Great variety of weapons to slaughter hapless cats with. I love the sawed off, makes giblets of anything its pointed at.
+ Paradise can be fun to explore, and you can end up finding secrets different places on different days.

- Still buggy for a 2011 update of a 2003 game. You will get stuck. A lot. Luckily, the game can detect if Postal Dude is stuck or not, and will (almost) always pry you free. Now stay outta that spot!
- Apocalypse Weekend's linear bits can get a bit odd after being used to the main POSTAL 2 game.
- Controls can be odd if you're used to other PC FPSes. Tip: Weapons don't need to reload besides one, and it's right click.
- Full of loading times.

Last edited:

Reila

Batman Arkham Asylum

Holy ****, what an awful final boss for a game. What were Rocksteady thinking when they thought putting grunts in the final boss fight would be a good idea? Fortunately, the final boss is one of the few complaints I have about the game. I really liked the combat in this game, it reminds me of the combat in Sleeping Dogs, which I enjoyed too, the difference being that you have Batman's gadgets in Arkham Asylum. The soundtrack is weak, there are barely any music variety in the game and the tracks you get to listen are quite generic and boring. Too bad. I think what I liked the most in the game were the creepy Scarecrow levels (I'd love to play a horror game on the vein of said levels) and some of the boss fights, like the one against Poison Ivy. Nice game overall, but I can't say it is one my favorites, since it is weak in the soundtrack and final boss departments.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I did finish these 2 games a week ago but I guess I will rate them nonetheless.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - 7.5/10

Pros

- Fun, action gameplay
- Tons of weapons for Ryu
- Multiple Characters to use
- Challenging, more Ninja Gaiden like (unlike the original NG3)
- Steel on bone rewards dodging at right timings
- Hidden scarabs and challenges make the missions replayable

Cons

- Much more cinematic than it should be
- Too many QTEs
- On rails chapters, you can't explore even a bit like in Ninja Gaiden Black (last NG game I played)
- A bit cheap at times, relies too much on steel on bone
- Replayablity relies mainly on playing chapters over and over again

The cons might be long but they didn't intrude on my enjoyment as much as the pros were fun to use.

Super :4mario: 3D World - 9.5/10

Pros

- Levels are cleverly designed
- Really fun and colourful
- New powerups
- Content beyond main "story" is challenging
- Multiplayer is really fun and changes up level dynamics
- 5 characters to use!

Cons

- A few levels are cheap
- Not really a con but those last 5 stamps.... >.<

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Portal:

7.8/10
-Too much Portals

9/10

The game was a bit shorter than I would have liked it to be, but it was much better in gameplay than I thought it would be. Also the second half of the game was amazing.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
probably about a 6/10, personally I felt it was extremely easy and I never had trouble with any of it not to mention that it didnt really add too much to make me want to play it more

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Popful Mail (Sega CD)

7.5/10

+ Good Graphics for it's time
+ Well animated cut scenes
+ Lots of well written and funny dialogue with good voice actors
+ The Main Cast of Characters are all entertaining, Mail herself is one of the best female protagonists I've ever seen in a game,
+ Mostly Fun Boss Fights that focus on patterns
+ Save States and Plenty of Items help keep the difficulty down
+ Good OST (is on iTunes BTW)

- Little Post-Hit Invincibility Leads to a lot of cheap deaths
- Enemies can kill you in about 3 hits
- Doesn't provide a large enough view of the screen/makes for blind jumps/enemies attacking off screen
- Attack Meter for most weapons refills too slowly/depletes too quickly, leaves you a sitting duck sometimes

An average difficult platformer that's put over the top due to it's presentation/charm/use of the hardware. One of the best Sega CD games and is worth playing if you can, but it's price may turn some people away.

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance 9/10

I am an SRPG Fan boy. Fire Emblem die hard.

Needless to say, this was a FE game I had put on the back burner for a while simply because I didn't have a GC, and also the disc became so rare and expensive it seemed unlikely I would ever play it as a college student.

And then I found it.

By far one of the greatest stories I've felt from a Fire Emblem game, and the mechanics were more fluent than I had ever experienced, leading to flowing battles and emotions that the likes of even Sacred Stones couldn't rival.

Great game, great gem, play it now.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance 9/10

I am an SRPG Fan boy. Fire Emblem die hard.

Needless to say, this was a FE game I had put on the back burner for a while simply because I didn't have a GC, and also the disc became so rare and expensive it seemed unlikely I would ever play it as a college student.

And then I found it.

By far one of the greatest stories I've felt from a Fire Emblem game, and the mechanics were more fluent than I had ever experienced, leading to flowing battles and emotions that the likes of even Sacred Stones couldn't rival.

Great game, great gem, play it now.
Yea Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, by far has been my favourite Fire Emblem game so far. I haven't played Awakening yet but from what I know about it, PoR would probably still be above it.

SsbGum

Smash Cadet
Yea Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, by far has been my favourite Fire Emblem game so far. I haven't played Awakening yet but from what I know about it, PoR would probably still be above it.
I loved Awakening. It's a little new age, but amazing nonetheless.

Yeah PoR still above it :D :ike:

Reila

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Great game. I prefer the Zero Escape series when it comes to visual novels, but Ace Attorney is definitely great, especially considering it is a game released in the year of 2001. Admittedly, I am not too fond of the investigation sections of the game, but the trials sections are so good. The soundtrack is also great and fits the game very well. If only it wasn't so damn repetitive... The characters are probably the best part. Well, at least the main ones. Phoenix, Maya, Miles, Ema and Mia. I like them all. Anyways, I am already playing the sequel because yes.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (a.k.a. Ace Attorney Investigations 2)

+ Big step up from AAI1 in terms of writing
+ The soundtrack suits Edgeworth perfectly
+ The third case, where
you get to play as Gregory Edgeworth, and face off against Manfred von Karma. They also really go the whole hog with Gregory being a defence attorney, with subtle touches like the Organiser becoming the Court Record
+ The overall plot is good - who the mastermind at the end of the final case is is completely unexpected, and everything ties together neatly at the end. It's also a massive improvement over
Quercus Alba and his "lol nope diplomatic immunity you can't touch me". Why doesn't he just, I don't know, leave? Instead of sticking around to gloat long enough to get said diplomatic immunity revoked
+ Playing as Edgeworth is an automatic plus point

- As big an improvement from AAI1 this is, it still just doesn't feel the same as the games did when Takumi was in charge of them
- No trials, so you don't actually get to prosecute anyone
although Edgeworth spends most of the game not actually being a prosecutor, so it's somewhat justified
- Capcom getting drunk and deciding they didn't want western money for whatever reason (this isn't a point against the game itself, but still)

8.4/10

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I got this game on PS+ a few months ago (okay, nearly a year ago) and finally decided to play it!

Here are my thoughts:

Remember Me (PS3) : 7/10

Pros

+
Nilin was an awesome and interesting lead for the game. Tough and sarcastic, has a cool design and is a uncommon ethnicity in games.

+ Mixing up combos is a really interesting idea. Although a bit limited, especially early on in the game, the mixing up of move-types allows a level of personalizing your moves that isn't common in most beat-em-ups.

+ The memory remix segments are extremely interesting and fun to figure out. It's rare that a game can make trial-and-error compelling, as these parts make you alter parts of a memory in different combinations until you figure out the right mix to accomplish your goal. Easily the strongest part of Remember Me.

+ Sound and art design is excellent. If there's one thing Capcom always nails, it's this. Everything in Remember Me, from menu screens, to attack animations, to the environments are astonishing, and the techno-orchestral soundtrack really cements the atmosphere.

Cons

- Nilin is probably the only interesting character. All the other characters are usually bland, annoying, or archetypal, and sometimes a mix of all three. Certain characters are clearly there to support an archetype, like Tommy clearly being the funny guy, or Bad Request clearly being the sympathetic underdog, or the majority of the villains being egotistical megalomaniacs. The only other noteworthy or interesting character, Olga, only appears twice in the whole game. Edge is also likeable and noteworthy, but the twist they pull regarding his character at the end spoils the whole thing for me.

- The combat gets really repetitive. While the gameplay presents enough new concepts to keep it feeling fresh, the enemy types get recycled very often, and the combination of there being a clear dominant strategy for certain enemies and the amount they throw at you makes you end up using the same attacks over and over because it's all that works.

- The combat also relies too heavily on your special moves ("S-Pressens"). For example, there is an enemy type that is always invisible, forcing you to use an S-Pressen that reveals and stuns them for a short amount of time. Which would be fine, except there's a huge penalty for using the move, as you must wait two minutes to use the move again, and considering the fact that there is always many invisible enemies in a group and you can't even damage them when they're invisible, it becomes a really annoying waiting game instead of me just being able to attack the enemy in a new and creative way. There are enemies like this all throughout the game and it gets really annoying towards the end of the game.

- The platforming/wall climbing sections are really not fun at all. It's really easy to miss a jump as they are context sensitive, and they don't add anything interesting to the gameplay. It makes me wish they were on-rails or partially scripted.

Other

+/- I love the robot enemies and NPCs. There seems to be a bit of a subplot in the game world involving robot prostitution though, which I find bizarre as it is literally never mentioned once.

+/- Bit on the short side (6-10 hours long) but considering how divisive of a game it is, it's likely for the best.

---

Overall, I enjoyed this game in the short time I spent on it, and I would play it again to see how far I could take certain combos. I can, however, easily see why it's also widely disliked, and I would deny those flaws.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
The last game I had played was Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (pre-patch): 3.8/10

Besides the frame drop every now and then I really enjoyed the beginning, then I hit the Hub World and all of the fun was drained out of the game

Reggie Amiibo

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpadgerBadger
3DS FC
5472-6503-9144
Pokemon Omega Ruby.

7.8/10 - Too much water.

Only kidding, I'd give it an 8.5.
-0.5 for no custom characters.
-1 for no Battle Frontier.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I should've wrote this earlier when I actually remembered most of it, but:

Half-Life (PC): 9/10

+ Very innovative for it's time, the slow-paced horror FPS gameplay still holds up to this day.
+ Great controls, able to re-map.
+ Impressive AI, capable of doing things which were thought to be hard in its day
+ Excellent music.

- The entirety of Xen is rather mediocre compared to the Black Mesa bits.
- Friendly AI suffers at times.
- Auto-saving sometimes decides it's had enough of you, and saves when you're at 1 HP and there's Leeches in the water.

*All scientists wear these RIDICULOUS ties!

When I get the gall to, I'll finish my Half-Life 2 playthrough I started.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Mega Man Battle Network 2

+ Style Changes can be used to change up gameplans
+ Slightly improved Overworld, easier to navigate

~ More or less the same as the first BN (all the +s and especially all the -s).
~ You no longer auto heal after every battle, though you do have heal items now

- New Mission Boards can only be attempted one at a time/nor can you quit one if you get stuck
- Puzzles still rather annoying/cryptic/BS at times
- Lots of bad backtracking/aimless searching because poor clues on what to do next/lots of search quests

If you liked the first one you'll probably like this one, though it is surprisingly a lot darker in tone than I would have expected. That and the difficulty make it more of an E10+/T game IMO. Not much improvement gameplay wise sadly. Makes me feel like a hardware upgrade would really benefit the series.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Difficulty doesn't affect ESRB rating. Otherwise F-Zero GX would be AO.

Poker Night at the Inventory: 7/10

+ Humorous dialogue, with the occasional references to source materials being nice.
+ Each character has their own unique AI, with each of the 4 opponents having different playstyles.
+ TF2 reskins/cosmetics and different table skins/card decks offer replayability.

- Only Texas Hold 'Em available.
- The unlockable TF2 stuff is kind of lame
- Tycho was a bit of a lame choice for a fourth player and didn't exactly fit in with the others.

It's poker. It's hard to mess up poker, and I'm glad TellTale didn't.

Top Bottom