• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the last game you finished!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Hyperdimension Idol Neptunia Producing Perfection:
2/10

If this is your first taste of the idol production genre, I feel sorry for you.. and given that this is the first to get a translation it probably is. Neptunia has never had the strongest of characters, and a more than passing interest in the sexualising the female form, but this game takes it to the extremes of both blandness and fan service... and then doesn't do it very well! compared to Idolm@ster's wide variety of characters all of whom portray more character than any of the CPU girls, this game just doesn't cut the mustard, and even the game play is ludicrously simplified 'till you don't even need to care to win the game with ease... The only redeeming features are the characters, which I'm already not the most fond of from their main series due to their vapidity, but this game really doesn't give enough time or scenes to exlore them properly. (Ram and Rom still manage to own the screen whenever they're on though)

If you're interested in Idol games, then I think you're going to have to learn Japanese, 'cos if this is the way most western gamers will come to the genre it's going to leave a sour taste that probably won't go aware even if we ever do get Idolm@ster release, and will only go to put people off those far better (but even then not honestly that great) games.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Batman: Arkham Asylum on PC

9/10

This game is everything that I wanted Batman to be and more. It was perfect! The only reason why it doesn't get a 10/10 is that I wish that when I was mid air and jumping off things that I could grapple ledges. Would feel more Batman-like that way.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
As someone vaguely interested in the Idolmaster series, is it possible to get into it without learning Japanese? Like, guides or fan-translations or somethin'?
It's very accessible, but I don't think you'll necessarily get the most out of it... some of the games even come with an english language insert explaining how to play the game, trying to make it as import friendly as they can...

There is also a fan-translation of SP (the PSP one), although I think they've only got one of the three girl's paths translated so far.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Final fantasy 7

Really addictive game, great customization and the most awesome soundtrack I have ever heard. However I don't like the fact I spent over a week (With brakes of course) trying to get a gold chocobo.

8/10

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii Version)
Rating: 8.5/10

Summary: Two years after the world is made whole again by the Chosen of Regeneration, the death of Emil's parents and destruction of his hometown Palmacosta by the famous hero Lloyd forces Emil to take on the role of "Knight of Ratatosk" whose task is to protect Marta -who bears the summon gem of the Summon Spirit/Demon Lord Ratatosk in her forehead- while taking on the personallity of Ratatosk himself whenever in battle or enraged. Throughout their journey, they meet Lloyd's friends who become aware of Lloyd's actions along with running into Lloyd himself sometimes who refuses to explain his actions causing Lloyd's friends to question his recent actions and behavior along with fueling the hatred that both Marta and Emil have for him, leaving many unsolved questions and mysterious motives, both of which becoming clearer to understand as the story unfolds.

Evaluation: For the most part (other than in the story itself) the game revolves around monsters, who you can recruit through a specific method while having a better chance to recruit them depending on which monster you use to strengthen the Pact (which is more-or-less a ritual-like method of recruiting monsters); While you cannot name your monster yourself, you can feed them, fight alongside them, have certain abilities activate in battle under certain conditions, evolve them and use other neat features involving them; the main downside being that your actual control over the monsters is miniscule since you can't actually play as the monsters and you can't order them to use a specific art during battle nor can they use items in your place so if their MP gets low then there's no way to restore it other than through very specific artes or skills or an item that YOU will have to use on them which will leave you open for a while as you use it, the worst part being that if all playable characters are defeated then you'll get a game over regardless of what monsters are still able to fight, similar to FF13's Leading character system. The difference between monsters and playable characters is that monsters level up faster and usually gain better stats than the playable characters to it falls upon you to make a team of either one playable character and three monsters revolving around High-Risk/High-Reward, the classic and more strategic/reliable four playable characters team or somewhere in-between the two.

I'd like to explain more about this game but It may be too much to post here so in short try the game if you want an experience that is a bit different from the usual Tales of series titles but still has that feel of the series to it, just keep in mind that some fans consider this game "a disservice to the original" or "an unneeded sequel" but I beg to differ. Would you believe I wrote all of this using the Wii U pad? :U

Last edited:

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
Title: Battletoads (NES)
Rating: 9.0/10.0

Story: There are three toads, Rash, Zitz, and Pimple. Pimple kids kidnapped along with his human girlfriend, Angelica, by the Dark Queen. So it's up to Rash and Zitz to save the day.

Gameplay: This is easily one of the hardest games of all time, and in my opinion, the hardest. The game seems like a stupid TMNT rip-off at first glance but it's actually fun to play and everytime time you complete a level (after the first two) you really feel accomplished! The race levels were EVIL (Especially Clinger-Winger)!!! The game overall is incredibly fun but also extremely frustrating! Do not try finishing this game unless you're extremely hardcore!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
After the dissapointment of PP it's time I review and actually good game I think!

Atelier Rorona Plus - The Alchemist of Arland: 9.5/10

I love Atelier Rorona, it bought the franchise back to it's roots after looking itself in Iris (not that they're terrible games, just kinda not special, and very much not Atelier). The problem with Rorona is that it was pretty weak gameplay-wise, and while it held a special place in my heart it wasn't really all that good.

So what is Atelier you might ask? Well, it's an RPG series that ignores the cliches of grinding levels and saving the world for a bit more of a down-to-earth slice of life story line. You play a young (almost invariably female) Alchemist, in this case Rorona, who has to run an alchemy workshop (Atelier) due to circumstances beyond her control. The games have always have a time limit and ask you to balance a number of elements across the game year.

Your main quest isn't to fight evil, but instead make various items for the kingdom of Arland in convenient three month time-scales, or face closure of your Atelier... but it's not quite that easy. You see the craft system is pretty deep with ingredient grades and attributes and later in the game you often have to ensure the items you create are good enough, or have specific abilities. Collecting these ingredients is in itself a quest, often forcing you to leave the confines of the city to adventure in various dungeons with a party that you have to put together. Making friends allows you more variety in your party members, but in turn asks you to maintain their friendships with their own little requests and scenes, but opens up new ingredients and abilities to use. If this all seems too much work you can always just buy things from shops, but in that case you'll likely get inferior ingredients and not recieve all the bonus effects you'll eventually need, and you'll have to do requests for the locals to collect money, as well as work on your friendships with the shop keepers so that they can expand their wares and give you discounts...

In all you might be noticing that this gets pretty complicated to manage, and I haven't even gotten into your homonculus or all the different events that can occur... complicated, but never too difficult. Trying to balance everything while enjoying the laid back atmosphere and enjoyable characters is what makes these games great, and this game does all these things fantastically; the characters are a little generic at times but extremely enjoyable to spend time with, and the remake has new characters and mechanics adding even more for you to juggle, but in turn simplifies the systems making it easier to alchemise more useful items, and adds more hidden depth in the long run. The battle system has also been improved with elements from Totori and Meruru, and is far less of a chore now, though it's still a little simple and the battles rarely challenge you at all...

If you want a challenge though, they are there: bosses appear throughout the various dungeons and are often extremely powerful needing you to properly manage your crafted items and character abilities very carefully to defeat at reasonable levels for the dungeon... which is fun! As a long time fan of turn-based jRPG combat the sheer strength of these bosses is insane, but so are your items which you're careful to use as they take a long time to alchemize... it's a really good balance.

Honestly I could gush about the Atelier games all day, and this has without a doubt taken my favourite spot back from Escha and Logy (in my opinion the best of the series, though also a really bad place to start due to it's rushed tutorials) thanks to my fond memories of Rorona, and my love of the characters (there are three games in the Arland series meaning I've had chance to see them grow), but above should give you an oversight of what the series is about.

This is probably taking a place in my top 10 favourite video-games of all time, though I'm going to sleep on it before I say with certainty.

So what's with the .5? Well, that's more technical... The game isn't entirely stable... I've had t crash a few times (but only a few) throughout the playthrough, on both the PS3 and Vita (though the vita seems less stable), which kinda sucks, but I'm sure it'll be patched to be more stable, at which point this will become a truly wonderful game for fans of time management, deep crafting systems, or high-level moe alike!

If you've never played Atelier, or have only played Iris and want to try out the real games, this is a great place to start! While I think for long time fans of the series Escha and Logy are better games, the characters here, and the wonderful style make this a game the even if you played the original you can easily play again with all the changes and the wonderful characters you grew to love the first time!

And with that I think it's time to put my Vita away again until either the next Muramasa DLC or Freedom Wars get's it's EU release...

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Typing of the Dead Overkill
got it during the steam summer sale

The soundtrack is amazing, the writing is pretty funny, sometimes... Well it doesn't bother me at least.
There aren't grades after every zombie kill like in the original, which is disappointing, instead it uses House of the Dead Overkill's combo system, which is nerve wracking (because you have to go really fast to keep from breaking combo) but isn't as satisfying.

Also you can just hit tab to shoot any random collectible on screen which is pretty lame (too easy).

But all in all it's a really freakin awesome typing game and worth the 5 bucks I payed, plus you also get house of the dead overkill (a rail shooter), but typing is way cooler.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Dark Souls 2 (PS3): 8.9/10

+ Improves upon the gameplay of the prequel while keeping things fresh
+ Decent story
+ Controls are improved over 1's
+ Graphics look good in certain areas, and the equipment looks nice.
+ Generally faster
+ Challenging, yet never unfair
+ Co-op introduces new ideas and offers ways to make things easier (being able to connect to certain players, voice-chat, etc).
+ Archery is easier now
+ Weapon stances are fun

- Has a few glitches, From Software is not known for their great programming, and it shows.
- Soul Memory is AWFUL, and can ruin your online experience if you have too many souls.
- Leveling up at the hub is a bit tedious. In the first you could level up at any bonfire.
- Slightly less memorable areas, NPCs, and enemies.
- The graphics are awful compared to previous builds. The playable beta had much better visuals.
- NPC A.I has flaws, especially NPC summons.
- Framerate drops in areas that aren't small, narrow hallways.
- Magic is still stupidly OP in PVP.

Booster

Smash Lord
Blue Dragon (Mistwalker) (Xbox360) 6/10 (Long Post, I'd use spoiler tags but I don't know how)

Pros:

Good gameplay mechanics, the skill system and overall combat was done really well
Alot of places to explore
Great Treasure

Warp System eliminates the need for items like Escape Rope or moves like Teleport BOTH from Pokemon, can get anywhere from just about anywhere

The game case properly stores all of your discs (Unlike ANOTHER Mistwalker Game where you need to boil the disc...)
An actual World Map, this use to be common but starting with PS2 World Maps either died out or became ****
Interesting Story

Cons:

The music is **** despite being composed by Nobuo Uematsu, it's easily the worst he's ever composed (Especially Eternity)

The vocalist for Eternity is the same singer who sang Iron Man, but for some reason he's not trying and it's the worst music I've heard in a game so far (Not counting Bootleg Games)

The characters are all ****ing idiots
The only character with any common sense is ignored by the ****ing idiots
The Villain LITERALLY does what he does because he's old and he's unhappy. WORST VILLAIN MOTIVE EVER!!!
The ending is ****
The beginning is ****
No achievement for beating the game (WTF?!?! The ONLY other game I know that ****s you like this is Minecraft Xbox360)
Horrible, awful, downright painful voice acting
Bad graphics, they look blurry and it should've been cell shaded considering how ****ing kiddy this game is
The game is too easy except for...
Optional Bosses that are unbeatable without being Max Level and using a Build, the latter is no problem
Too many minigames
****ty ass controls in mini games
Final Boss makes no ****ing sense whatsoever

The whole game is painfully average, immature and the whole thing is a mixed bag. The Pros are all REALLY strong, but the cons consist of several smaller things that **** the whole game up and eventually led to Microsoft disowning Mistwalker, forcing Sakaguchi/King of the Has Been Game Developers make MOBILE GAMES!!!!

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Fable 2: 8/10
+ Charming writing
+ Graphics look good
+ Plenty of stuff to do
+ Slowly customizing your character over time is fun

- Gameplay is boring and too simple
- Ridiculously easy
- Several glitches
- Movement feels really wonky

Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, Offline Single Player): 8/10
+ Surprisingly decent writing for a Call of Duty game
+ Good viewmodels and character models
+ Fun gameplay
+ Nazi Zombies and the other bonus mode is fun

- Difficulty on higher difficulties consists of enemies spamming grenades
- Graphics on a few models leave more to be desired in the visual department.
- The soundtrack is very generic when not blasting Fortunate Son and other Vietnam favorites.
- Quite a few framerate drops.

On another note, Vortuta is one of my favorite levels in a video game, now.

JusticeColde

Smash Cadet
NNID
JusticeColde
Postal. 7/10

Now while the concept is offensive to most people and the humor is very crude at times, it's still a good playable PC game.
The layout in most the levels offers many opportunities for thought out approaches for taking out enemies, and you will need to think about your approach later on because you will be killed in a heartbeat if you go in guns blazing.

The can be unfair at times because you will be hit by an enemy that you can't see and you might hit by something they dropped before they die, which can be very annoying when you end up fighting the machine hostiles.

Dialog from The Postal Guy, Demon and the citizens is entertaining throughout all the carnage and sets the tone of the game as intended by the guys at Running with Scissors. The graphics are good for the time, a bit serviceable at worst because it sometimes isn't clear what you can and can't walk on.

I recommend this game to anyone who would be up for the experience.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Warning: If you love Minecraft, please ignore this post. I am talking about this game for what it is, so mods are out of the equation

Minecraft 0/10

Pros:

Can pirate it on PC for free
Creative Mode lets you spawn all the items you want AND you can fly

Cons:

I'm not a big graphics guy, but if a game looks bad enough I can't play it, the graphics in this game are some of the worst I've ever seen besides any games with 3D graphics on 5th generation consoles and Atari Jaguar. It's a horrible hybrid of 32 Bit graphics with ****ty looking 16 Bit textures, the whole thing just looks painful to look at and the $100 graphics budget shows, BIG RIGS looks better.

The whole game is about creating stuff, which is fine, except the WHOLE thing is as tedious as trying to be nice to a girl irl...okay maybe not THAT bad. It takes hours upon hours of doing the same boring ****, only for it to be destroyed by lightning, a Creeper or in some cases a Creeper struck by lightning which makes craters x3 bigger then normal and you have to clean the whole ****ing thing up. LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!

Limited Inventory, nobody likes this **** so why the **** do they do this?!?!
Limited Storage, people hate this even more then limited inventory and combining the two is ass gravy

Weapons and armor break when used...again...nobody likes this **** except maybe Masochists and even then most Masochists don't like to hurt themselves THIS much

Stamina Meter, when it runs out you begin dying...again, nobody likes this ****, this kind of **** should be reserved for NO GAME, IT ****ING SUCKS, WHY DO YOU DO THIS GAME DEVELOPERS?!?!

The game gives you absolutely nothing from the start except for a map.
When the map is used it takes up your WHOLE screen and you can still move but you're constantly looking down...da****?
There is no onscreen map...umm...
The ****ing Pocket Edition got infinite worlds before console did...that is so insulting I'm going to say this: Notch is a ********** for 1/100th assing the console edition so badly.

The Music is terrible, it reloops over and over and it's not even good music
The sound effects are horrible and you hear them almost as often as the music.
The 2nd most annoying fanbase for any videogame/videogame series...can you guess the 1st?
The controls are terrible
You can't pause the game even in single player. Do I even need to say anything about this?
Tools break as well and you need your Pickaxe the most.
The NPC AI is broken, animals and villagers push you into the nearest lava pit.

No achievement for beating the Final Boss in the PS3 and Xbox 360 version and the Final Boss is difficult too so there's no point to doing this on consoles whatsoever except to be one of the millions to say you did it

Retail Edition requires the game to be constantly connected to the internet
Split Screen Multiplayer requires you to play on an HDTV. Question...why? Did Mojang make a deal with HDTV companies?
No Unlimited Worlds in console versions due to Mojang's and Notch's Laziness.
Mojang and Notch are lazy with updates.
No Wii U version even though it would eliminate the map issue.
Map issue hasn't been patched yet

I could go on about his game's issues forever but I'm going to end here. Long story short, Minecraft is the most overrated videogame of all time.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I could go on about his game's issues forever but I'm going to end here. Long story short, Minecraft is the most overrated videogame of all time.
Normally, I don't like to instigate. However, it seems this review was written entirely because of this.

You do make some pretty good points, like how the game is pretty much completely inaccessible unless you have the internet to look up what you're doing. However, from a design stand point breakable items, limited inventory, stamina and being able to have your creations destroyed is actually pretty good game design. It creates very real risk versus reward with everything you do. It forces you to go out and explore the world to build new weapons and armor when they break.

I don't think people realize this, but Minecraft really is more of a survival game than it is a creation game. I guess people just hooked onto the creation aspect more than they did survival.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Normally, I don't like to instigate. However, it seems this review was written entirely because of this.

You do make some pretty good points, like how the game is pretty much completely inaccessible unless you have the internet to look up what you're doing. However, from a design stand point breakable items, limited inventory, stamina and being able to have your creations destroyed is actually pretty good game design. It creates very real risk versus reward with everything you do. It forces you to go out and explore the world to build new weapons and armor when they break.

I don't think people realize this, but Minecraft really is more of a survival game than it is a creation game. I guess people just hooked onto the creation aspect more than they did survival.
The game is still terrible and one of the worst I've ever played and I'm not the only one who's said this either. The only reason I bought it was because my friends kept insisting it was one of the best games ever and I was pressured into doing it. Eventually I told them I hated the game and I haven't played it since. Sweet, Sweet Bliss :3

§leepy God

Smash Master
Rosenkreuzstilette & Freudenstachel (PC) Rating: Loved it

This is probably, if not the best doujin soft games I've played with Megaman gameplay. The only sad thing about this game is the lack of English translation to understand the story, (at least there's the wiki that translates it). But the meat of the series is the gameplay and difficulty, it's not an easy game but it's really fun.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Pros
+Brilliant, spooky atmosphere
+Nicely-designed platforming
+Very cool monster designs
+Very challenging
+The iconic Ghosts 'n Goblins theme

Cons
-The weapon balance is so bad that it's unfair. As anybody familiar with the series knows, the knife is by far the best weapon in the game (though the bow is generally better for taking down red arremers when the dragon spell isn't available), and some weapons are close to unusable.
-Since it's a retro sidescroller, you HAVE to pick up the weapon you land on, which is a problem because the weapon balance is terrible.
-Since it's a retro sidescroller, you have to go down a ladder if you press down, so crouching above a ladder requires a bit of horizontal offset, or it doesn't work. The games in the series with aiming up have the same problem with climbing ladders.
-There's no aim vertically, and I'm pretty sure aim vertically was already introduced in some of the earlier games.
-Why would the canonically most powerful weapon in the game (the goddess bracelet) be required to beat the true final boss, yet be worse than the knife in about every way conceivable? I'm not sure, but it might be more powerful per individual shot, but it doesn't have rapid fire nor the dragon spell on golden armor, so that doesn't even matter.

7/10 (5/10 is average on my scale)

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Shin Megami Tensei IV: 8/10 (not including DLC content, which I am too broke to buy)

Shin Megami Tensei IV is this absolutely great monster-fighter wherein you use demons to fight your enemies, which are also demons. The unique Talk feature allows you to recruit demons in the midst of battle, and isn't as simple as Pokemon where you throw a ball and that's it. Conversations with demons are funny, strange, and sometimes though provoking. Even though the conversations fall into particular groups (oddly enough, think about the character types in Animal Crossing), the feature doesn't really get that stale, and there's always the chance you can get items or healed too!

The Press Turn System of SMTIV is nothing revolutionary, but works great for this game. You have a party of yourself and three other demons who can use different types of abilites using nine different elements. Most demons have natural affinities and weaknesses, and by exploiting those weaknesses and/or getting critical hits, you gain half-turns that can change the battle. Be aware however, that your enemies can exploit this feature too. And if you make stupid decisions like using an ice spell on an enemy who absorbs those kind of attacks, you will lose all your turns and the enemy might even Smirk. Smirk is a unique status that your allies or enemies can get, usually after blocking an attack or executing a particularly strong attack against an enemy. Smirk allows you to score an almost gauranteed critical hit on the enemy, and while you have this status you become much harder to hit. Even though it's simplistic, the Press Turn System has a lot of depth, much in part due to the skills your demons have, and can inherit.

Skills can be inherited by an addicting process known as Demon Fusion, where you can merge two demons together to form a different demon. By using skills from the parents, you could potentially have a demon that nullifies all attacks (except Almighty ones), or have a demon who knows several high level spells and has the ability to use items, a skill that only the main character has by default. Demon Fusion is extremely simplified, and perhaps a little cheap because it does take the fun out of guessing what demons you might get. Special Fusions are immensely powerful demons that can be unlocked after certain requirements, and they too can be fused with other demons. Also, when your demon has learned all the skills it can the main character can inherit one of those skills, which is pretty helpful. Sadly, you can't inherit passive skills like nullifying ice attacks and the like, which is actually fair because it just makes the game less cheap. Every time you level up, your character has 5 points to distribute to his stats, and you are responsible for giving points. SMTIV realizes that although this customization is welcome, it would be too much to give a character with uber stats total element or status resistance, and so lets you only inherit spells.

The story of SMTIV is pretty intricate but not as complex as something like Final Fantasy or Virtue's Last Reward. Other games in the series tackle topics such as religion, the choices of God, and the good and bad of humanity. There are multiple endings to the game, so choices you make throughout the story have lasting repercussions. Usually you know where to go next thanks to a useful Quest system, but sometimes the game leaves you guessing at where to go. I hate looking at guides, but I had to at some points because I literally had no clue where to go. I'm all for difficulty, but not leaving an inkling of what to do next gets old.

The main drag of the game is occasional vagueness of the story and the world map system. Maps in dungeons are really helpful and great and make perfect use of the bottom screen, but the overworld map had demons that are often impossible to avoid battling, and there is no map you can refer to in the menu screen to show where you are, and the locations you have been so far. Location names are shown above you as you travel, and the world map has a lot of places to visit. But when you can't remember some offbeat area, and have no regular map to refer too, travelling gets tedious. You do however get great use of Terminals, which are points your character can use to travel quickly across the map. If there were some option or skill to avoid battle with enemies on the overworld, that would be great. Other than this qualm, the game is near console-quality and is definitely worth picking up

Twewy

Smash Lord
Warning: If you love Minecraft, please ignore this post. I am talking about this game for what it is, so mods are out of the equation

Minecraft 0/10

Pros:

Can pirate it on PC for free
Creative Mode lets you spawn all the items you want AND you can fly

Cons:

I'm not a big graphics guy, but if a game looks bad enough I can't play it, the graphics in this game are some of the worst I've ever seen besides any games with 3D graphics on 5th generation consoles and Atari Jaguar. It's a horrible hybrid of 32 Bit graphics with ****ty looking 16 Bit textures, the whole thing just looks painful to look at and the $100 graphics budget shows, BIG RIGS looks better.

The whole game is about creating stuff, which is fine, except the WHOLE thing is as tedious as trying to be nice to a girl irl...okay maybe not THAT bad. It takes hours upon hours of doing the same boring ****, only for it to be destroyed by lightning, a Creeper or in some cases a Creeper struck by lightning which makes craters x3 bigger then normal and you have to clean the whole ****ing thing up. LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!

Limited Inventory, nobody likes this **** so why the **** do they do this?!?!
Limited Storage, people hate this even more then limited inventory and combining the two is *** gravy

Weapons and armor break when used...again...nobody likes this **** except maybe Masochists and even then most Masochists don't like to hurt themselves THIS much

Stamina Meter, when it runs out you begin dying...again, nobody likes this ****, this kind of **** should be reserved for NO GAME, IT ****ING SUCKS, WHY DO YOU DO THIS GAME DEVELOPERS?!?!

The game gives you absolutely nothing from the start except for a map.
When the map is used it takes up your WHOLE screen and you can still move but you're constantly looking down...da****?
There is no onscreen map...umm...
The ****ing Pocket Edition got infinite worlds before console did...that is so insulting I'm going to say this: Notch is a ********** for 1/100th assing the console edition so badly.

The Music is terrible, it reloops over and over and it's not even good music
The sound effects are horrible and you hear them almost as often as the music.
The 2nd most annoying fanbase for any videogame/videogame series...can you guess the 1st?
The controls are terrible
You can't pause the game even in single player. Do I even need to say anything about this?
Tools break as well and you need your Pickaxe the most.
The NPC AI is broken, animals and villagers push you into the nearest lava pit.

No achievement for beating the Final Boss in the PS3 and Xbox 360 version and the Final Boss is difficult too so there's no point to doing this on consoles whatsoever except to be one of the millions to say you did it

Retail Edition requires the game to be constantly connected to the internet
Split Screen Multiplayer requires you to play on an HDTV. Question...why? Did Mojang make a deal with HDTV companies?
No Unlimited Worlds in console versions due to Mojang's and Notch's Laziness.
Mojang and Notch are lazy with updates.
No Wii U version even though it would eliminate the map issue.
Map issue hasn't been patched yet

Jeez man, I don't like the game either but it just sounds like you're digging for excuses to hate it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Just finished Persona 4.

If you're a fan of JRPGs, it pretty much boils down to this: if you haven't played Persona 4, hop on the PlayStation store and download it. Even six years later, it's still a must-play title in the genre.

Anyway, what makes P4 so special? Well, a lot of things. First of all, there's the story. P4 is one of the few games in existence where I genuinely believe the game would be weaker without it's narrative. The game's story is rather unique among the JRPG genre. It's a supernatural murder mystery taking place entirely in a small rural town. And while the mystery itself is quite engaging, what really makes it are the characters. Every character is well written, has an arc that, assuming you're willing to spend time with them, comes to a close and is very memorable. Like every good story, a good chuck of the cut scenes and dialog in P4 are spent focusing on the day to day lives of the characters and their interactions with each other. Not only does this make them genuinely seem like real people, but it also prevents the game from falling into the video game story pitfall of every cut scene just being exposition upon exposition.

Additional, the game touches upon some rather adult subject matter that, while normally left to books and films to explore, most games won't get anywhere near. Things like social acceptance, gender identity, hidden thoughts and feelings about loved ones are all discussed and examined. As a result, P4 is one of the few games I think I can genuinely say is rated Mature for mature themes rather than violent imagery.

Anyway, enough gushing about the story. How's the game play?

For the most part, it's your usual JRPG. It's primarily turn based battles with the addition of enemies appearing on the map, not the first time this has been done but it's nice if you don't care for random encounters, and dungeon crawling. The twist on the battle system is that each enemy has a weakness to one of the game's six elements. If you hit an enemy with their weakness, you knock them down and get an extra turn. If you manage to knock every enemy prone you get to make an all-out attack, meaning your entire party attacks at once, dealing a ton of damage. However, these same rules apply to your enemies, so you have to play it smart to make it through many of the game's fights.

As far as character customization goes, the game is sadly lacking beyond customizing the protagonist (whose name and personality is completely up to you, by the way). Each party member is granted a Persona, which allows them to fight in battle. However, much like Pokemon, your Personas can only hold a certain amount of attacks meaning that you get to pick and choose what abilities your party members have. Although it's pretty obvious which ones to keep and which ones to delete. But the protagonist is special, he can hold multiple Personas all with different abilities. These Personas that he has can be mixed to make more powerful ones, encouraging experimentation.

Sadly, the dungeon crawling itself is probably the weakest part of the game. Every single dungeon in the game is hallways with chests and monsters scattered all about it. Each dungeon has multiple floors, with each floor being harder than the last. At the top there will always be a boss waiting for you, which is really the reason why you'll end up going through these dungeons. Each one, while themed differently, is essentially presented in the same way. As a result, all of the dungeons start to feel the same just with different textures.

But that's okay, because Persona 4 is a massive game. Really massive, as in, it might be impossible to see everything in one play through. When you're not in dungeons fighting off monsters you're enjoying your day to day life in the town of Inaba. Maybe you'll pick up a part time job, or join drama club, or maybe you'll go out for soccer. You can romance one of your party members, or all of them (dudes aside, sorry) if you're a terrible person. And for the most part, the writing carries the game so well that it never gets boring. Although sometimes, when you don't really have anything open for you to do, passing the in-game days does get a bit tedious.

I'm sure most of you are going to skip this massive wall of text, so here's the tl;dr version: Persona 4 is one of the best games that the JRPG genre has to offer. If you have any love for the JRPG genre then you need to give it a shot.

Persona 4 gets a 5/5.

Also, I'm pretty sure I got the neutral ending. The word unsatisfying doesn't even come close to describing it. So whatever you do, don't do what I did my play through. Or use a guide, since knowing JRPGs the path to getting the good ending likely isn't obvious or intuitive at all.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)

A welcome game into the never ending and multi-platform franchise. Not without its flaws though! To start off in the positive, the graphics look sharp for a 3DS game. Aside from character models that look super polygony when they are oft in a distance, everything else is colorful, vivid, and detailed. While I wasn't a fan of the dream eaters (played the whole game on Proud with the starting duo), I can see how they incorporate into helping you build your personal stats and abilities. They really aren't useful as far as battle options go, but that's always been a weakness of as far as party members go.

Gameplay has its pros and cons. It's fast paced and I enjoy how you can setup your spells and command system. With that being said, in the heat of boss battles, I struggle to navigate to certain spells due to it being moved by the D-Pad when you move with the Control Stick...yeah. I think there might be a shortcut option, but I may have missed it. The camera still sucks though. A lot of times, you just have to hope an enemy is not around you when you are moving fast on the ground or in the air. It's meant to center behind you, and it would work if the camera was zoomed out a bit more. I played this on the XL, so it would have looked better with a more laid back view, where as the 3DS, it would have looked small. Voice acting is for the most part top notch. I felt like in the beginning, there were a lot of awkward pauses in conversations, especially from Sora. Finally, the music is amazing as usual.

My only all out complaint is the story. It does a good job of providing summaries in your menu to understand what happened in other games and who the characters are. Far as the actual game story goes, holy crap, talk about a plot dump at the end. For 95% of the game, you have no idea what's going on, how it's being done, or what the circumstances are. You got characters going "This is serious!" But you can't relate if you have no idea! When the plot dump happens, you finally get everything to click.They should have balanced the explanations out throughout the game, which would have made it easier to follow through, and would have kept you more involved in the cut scenes.

I originally wanted to complain about the "worlds" in this game. It's mostly hit, but some due to feel a bit recycled.

Overall, solid entry. Definitely enjoyed it more than 358/2 Days. I'll probably have to refresh myself on the story when the third one comes out. Based on the story, a word of caution as I'm afraid Disney characters may start playing less and less of a prominent role as far as your party members go....which makes me sad.

7/10

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
Fire Emblem: Awakening
8.5/10

Short review: Great visuals, good music and audio effects, a story that is good enough to keep me playing.
The best detail of the game is, hands down, the colorful and interesting characters. Every character is unique and very well written.

The only complaint I have is how the game feels much easier compared to the previous Fire Emblem games.

Great game. Worth buying if you own a 3DS. A game to play if you haven't played FE and want to start somewhere.

Last edited:

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Telltales The Walking Dead Season 2

+Diverse fun characters
+some tough Decisions
+a lot of unforgettable awesome moments

-the game doesn't look that impressive
-experienced a lot of lag
-lack of actually walking around

8/10

Twewy

Smash Lord
Technically, you can't finish it, but what the hell:

Team Fortress 2:

+ Very lovely art direction, the 60's spy movie look meshes well with the cartoony, Pixar style of the game. Each of the nine classes' silhouettes stands out, even from a distance. Memorable character designs, lovely hand-painted textures.
+ Different game-modes allow for different experiences each match. Very well designed maps offer different routes for every class.
+ The community/developer relation is very nice, always communicating with the fans and players. A lot of community-created content is added to the game, via maps, weapons, cosmetics, and even item descriptions. Speaking of fan-made, there are numerous custom game modes for the game made by modders, and many are very fun to play.
+ Each class feels nice to play, with their unique abilities and unlockable weapons allowing diverse gameplay options. Different weapons and tools for each slot encourages exploration of play-style and trying new ways to play with each class.
+ Despite being a F2P game with a cash shop, nearly every item can be attained just by playing the game.
+ Very humourous character chatter, the game never takes itself seriously.
+ Team Fortress 2 is very beginner friendly, offering many ways of practice, with training modes for a few of the classes, along with offline practice modes with bots. Many tips are given throughout the game's loading screens, menus, and even while you are waiting to respawn.

- Balance between the nine classes is rather...unbalanced. While I understand some classes play the role of a hard counter to one another (e.g: Engineer with Scout), some classes that shouldn't be countering out-right counter against their weaknesses (e.g: Heavy's Huo-Long Heater provides defense against the Spy, one of the Heavy's worst nightmares). Spies in general have a very hard time doing anything these days, with nearly every class having a way to counter Spy. Demomen are not very balanced, either. While initially meant for area denial and sentry nest destruction with their stickybombs, they can be extremely effective against everything. Pyros and Spies feel very underpowered, as well, with 8 out of 9 classes having ways to extinguish the afterburn from his/her/its fire-based weapons or outright nullify it.
- Item distribution amongst the classes is off. One class, the Soldier, receives too many weapons compared to the other classes. The Engineer and Medic are nearly dried up ponds compared to the Soldier's constantly flowing stream of items. The Demoman also receives alternative methods of play via shields and swords, often referred to "Demoknight". While enjoyable and offering new ways to play, it eliminates the Demoman's weakness, close combat, and offers a way for one of the slower classes to move almost as quick as the fastest; the Scout. The Demoman, as of this post, has three grenade launchers, two stickybomb launchers and one practice stickybomb launcher, three shields, one parachute, one pair of boots with an alternative skin, and eight unique melee weapons. Again, while fun, the Demoknight playstyle diverts from the games balance, giving the Demoman arguably better close combat skills than the class actually meant for close combat, The Pyro.
-Many added weapons and cosmetics often clash with the TF2 color palette, or out-right do not fit in with the style, with the promotional weapons and items from other games being major offenders. Many paint tools used to recolor cosmetics are not even from the color palette: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559

Above is a guide for creating items and props for the game, along with the color guide to the game, made around the time the Polycount contest was happening.
This is a Pink as Hell painted Ye Olde Baker Boy, a wearable hat for the Scout. Do you see pink anywhere in that palette? While it is nice of Valve to add further customization choice to a player's characters, they clash against the very same rules Valve made for the game four years ago.
- The game has some bugs, sometimes very game-breaking. Luckily, Valve is quick to patch the more enjoyment-threatening ones.
- While many of the maps are very well-designed, others have rather questionable decisions. The map Dustbowl is an Attack/Defend map broken up into three parts, two capture points each. The defending team, RED, usually has to defend for half an hour per point, sometimes even over half an hour if a point is captured. This problem is not on other Attack/Defend maps such as Gorge or Mountain Lab. Another map, Hightower, is a Payload Race map, where RED and BLU push bombs through the others' bases in a race to blow their bomb up first. The map often ends up in the equivalent of Team Deathmatch, with neither side pushing towards their objective, due to no time limit.
- Valve has trouble with adding any non-cosmetic items into the game, apparently. The most recent update, The Love and War Update, is the first time TF2 has gotten non-reskin weapons in nearly two years.
- Valve also has a habit of adding in many new game modes, but never supporting them. Territorial Control, Special Delivery, and Medieval Attack/Defend each only have one map.

Overall, Team Fortress 2 is, at the core, a very fun game. It can be enjoyed by just about anyone, from a more casual gamer to a hardcore competitive player. Though the past few years have had some questionable content additions and decisions, Valve has not failed in making an enjoyable, good-looking first person shooter.

Overall:
9/10

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Finished my second playthrough of Fire Emblem Awakening, so here's a rundown:

+Art direction is nothing short of fantastic.
+Music is super addicting.
+One of the few games where I've actually cared about the story.
+Great character development.
+Serves as a great gateway game to Fire Emblem even if you know nothing about it.
+Much like the point above it easily introduces new players to the Turn Based Strategy genre.
+2 of it's characters are in Smash 4
+Said characters are the best couple ever
+Has a very strong female lead in Lucina, which is rare, and makes her a very enjoyable character.
+Amazing balance of sadness, comedy and heartwarming.
+Funniest romance ever.
+Hard to put down once you get engrossed in it.
+Loads of replay value.

-Sometimes feels a bit difficult, even on low difficulties.

Overall, one of the few games where I'm not driven by fanboyism that I feel deserves a perfect score and a place in any lacking 3DS library.

10/10

finalark

SNORLAX
-Sometimes feels a bit difficult, even on low difficulties.
Ironically, the opposite is what people usually complain about for that game.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoyed FE Awakening though, especially given how controversial it is. I don't post in the FE thread ever (mostly because I'm too casual and have an irrational fear of being rejected by the FE community) but even I know that many FE fans tend to be very opinionated about that game.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ironically, the opposite is what people usually complain about for that game.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoyed FE Awakening though, especially given how controversial it is. I don't post in the FE thread ever (mostly because I'm too casual and have an irrational fear of being rejected by the FE community) but even I know that many FE fans tend to be very opinionated about that game.
I should point out that I'm also a casual :)

Helps that I'm not so big of a fan of the entire series since Sm4sh was the only reason I got it(and price convenience), since I disliked a series I didn't play, lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
I should point out that I'm also a casual :)

Helps that I'm not so big of a fan of the entire series since Sm4sh was the only reason I got it(and price convenience), since I disliked a series I didn't play, lol.
Ah, well I suggest you give the other games a look too. International FE1 (first one we got on GBA) is pretty good and is actually rather challenging, as is Radiant Dawn. Although my personal favorite is Path of Radiance on GCN. Perfectly balances difficulty with character building IMO.

Although if you just finished Awakening then IMO the next best step would be to check out Sacred Stones, since it will feel the most familiar with its world map and difficultly. Shadow Dragon should be skipped over IMO. It's not a bad game, but being a remake of the first Japanese game it feels really stripped down compared to the games we got and many of us started on.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Awakening is great. Definitely has its flaws though, but that goes for every FE.

Sort of like SMT4, it's easy to break and take advantage of, so it's a plus and minus depending if you want to do that.

My only real main issue was the lack of variety in mission objectives. There was one mission that sounded like an escape mission, but it was instead another kill everything/boss one.

Booster

Smash Lord
Scribblenauts Unlimited 2/10

Pros:

Able to create your own items and characters
Riding on a ride-able sword shoves the sword up Maxwell's ass, VERY funny.
Was one of the only 3rd Party Launch Titles that wasn't a butchered port
Your quest has meaning this time (Saving your sister's life)
HD Graphics (Atleast on the HD TV) are bright, colorful and clear
Digital Download takes up less then 2 gigabytes

Cons (Oh boy)
WAY too short, Super Scribblenauts has tons of content, this game does not, only 106 Starites compared to 121, not to mention this game has no challenge mode to remix your levels, which there aren't very many of compared to Super Scribblenauts.

The game on Gamepad doesn't look very good but...you have to constantly play on Gamepad because you need to tap objects and spell stuff and considering the colors aren't very good on Gamepad, this is a huge problem

Levels aren't very fun, stick to Super Scribblenauts.
The Co-Op is the worst in any game I've ever played, not fun for the people who aren't Player 1. I'll explain in another thread
Can't create Warner Bros characters despite Warner Bros owning this franchise (WTF?)
Sidequests suck, it's the same objectives with different characters
Bad cutscenes and when I say Cutscenes I mean TWO cutscenes. They're too long and the voice actress sounds really bored

The Time Machine in Super Scribblenauts added 6 levels to the game, what does the Time Machine do in this game? Give Maxwell a Mustache, a 50's hat and turns the world look sepia with 1940's video quality. Great ****ing successor to a great item.

Gameboy Mode looks so unappealing.

I really can't say much about this game without being repetitive. Long story short go buy Super Scribblenauts instead of this ****, it's too short and the very little amount of content is very boring. How this could've been worth $60 at Launch I have no idea. It's a very poor value and you know when the Nintendo DS Scribblenauts games outdo Wii U's Scribblenauts game that something is wrong. This game is worth $5 at most, but Gamestop wanted $17 for it. Thankfully I got a refund. This game should've been a eShop exclusive, it wastes so much space on a 25 gb disc.

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
I've been on a Mario and Luigi binge, and I just finished Partners in Time again.
The entire series is a 9.5 by my book, and this game gets the same score.

A whole lot of people think that PiT, the second of the now four games, is the weakest installment. While it's true that SuperStar Saga had the most quirk and Bowser's Inside Story had the best characters and arguably some of the best gameplay while Dream Team had the highest difficulty and intense endings, Partners in Time stands out possibly because it doesn't. Instead, PiT keeps the hilarious wtf-ery of SS, has its own (and help sets up for future installments) wacky characters and interesting fighting dynamics like BIS, and shares (not literally) with Dream Team some of the best Final Bosses I've ever seen in any RPG series. Yet at the same time it holds its own by utilizing what could have been a very tired mechanic (carrying your baby self on your back combined with tricky time travel) in the best possible way. Almost every interaction in the game will involve the babies in some way, from action packed battles with crazy combo moves (like having the little guys riding Chain Chomps while chasing their older selves) and solving puzzles by seperating (which is always nerve wracking if you either want everyone the same level or just don't wanna see a baby get hurt) and reuniting (which is always a relief and makes you feel a little better inside) to hilarious, terrifying, or honestly just plain adorable cutscenes (Really any time the Luigis interact will be the high point of your day). With four Mario brothers to play with, all of the brotherly togetherness that these games symbolize gets doubled and it really makes for a better experience.

To finish this I'd like to talk about the baddies. The Shroobs are probably some of the scariest enemies to ever grace a Nintendo game. While usually Mario has to deal with incompetent Bowser kidnappings or Wario's prank phone calls, these guys start the game on a dying planet and decide to relocate to the nearest kingdom they can find. And by 'relocate', I mean 'recreate the last half of Man of Steel' and just claim Manifest Destiny on the Mushroom Kingdom. The further you get into the game, the more the cutesy adventures of the Mario Brothers get balanced out by the absolutely atrocious things these purple monsters accomplish. To go into detail any further wouldn't do it justice.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
[TellTale's] The Walking Dead: Season 2
Rating: 7/10

There were some pretty good moments throughout this season though ultimately it was pretty shallow. Characters were not that likeable, (and when they started to be, they were usually killed off before you had a chance to bond with them), choices were pretty much nonexistent, and there were some really dumb moments that happened in the later episodes. Not the worst point-and-click game out there but it fails compared to season 1 (which was outstanding).

Steamworld Dig (3DS eShop)

A radical 'metroidvania' style game that keeps you wanting to play. But is a tad too short and linear. Graphically excellent, great stereoscopic 3D, and generally a great use of 9 dollars IMO

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Scribblenauts Unlimited 2/10

Pros:

Able to create your own items and characters
Riding on a ride-able sword shoves the sword up Maxwell's ***, VERY funny.
Was one of the only 3rd Party Launch Titles that wasn't a butchered port
Your quest has meaning this time (Saving your sister's life)
HD Graphics (Atleast on the HD TV) are bright, colorful and clear
Digital Download takes up less then 2 gigabytes

Cons (Oh boy)
WAY too short, Super Scribblenauts has tons of content, this game does not, only 106 Starites compared to 121, not to mention this game has no challenge mode to remix your levels, which there aren't very many of compared to Super Scribblenauts.

The game on Gamepad doesn't look very good but...you have to constantly play on Gamepad because you need to tap objects and spell stuff and considering the colors aren't very good on Gamepad, this is a huge problem

Levels aren't very fun, stick to Super Scribblenauts.
The Co-Op is the worst in any game I've ever played, not fun for the people who aren't Player 1. I'll explain in another thread
Can't create Warner Bros characters despite Warner Bros owning this franchise (WTF?)
Sidequests suck, it's the same objectives with different characters
Bad cutscenes and when I say Cutscenes I mean TWO cutscenes. They're too long and the voice actress sounds really bored

The Time Machine in Super Scribblenauts added 6 levels to the game, what does the Time Machine do in this game? Give Maxwell a Mustache, a 50's hat and turns the world look sepia with 1940's video quality. Great ****ing successor to a great item.

Gameboy Mode looks so unappealing.

I really can't say much about this game without being repetitive. Long story short go buy Super Scribblenauts instead of this ****, it's too short and the very little amount of content is very boring. How this could've been worth $60 at Launch I have no idea. It's a very poor value and you know when the Nintendo DS Scribblenauts games outdo Wii U's Scribblenauts game that something is wrong. This game is worth $5 at most, but Gamestop wanted $17 for it. Thankfully I got a refund. This game should've been a eShop exclusive, it wastes so much space on a 25 gb disc.

Wow... I know it's your opinion and all, but wow.... That was a terrible review.

You bearly give any criticism. It just a whine post on little stuff that doesn't affect the gameplay.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
You bearly give any criticism. It just a whine post on little stuff that doesn't affect the gameplay.
You get used to it after a while.

I want to try something new, review a game as I'm playing it and update the review until I've completed it.

Rayman Origins: N/A / 10

+ Excellent visuals, the first game for UbiArt shows off the engine well.
+ Catchy music
+ Excellent difficulty, always provides a challenge

Top Bottom