• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the last game you finished!

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - (<- Click here for some music!)

Recently, I played The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds again, and, even though I already played it once, I couldn't remember almost any bit of it...
After I finished it this time around, I wondered why I almost completely forgot about it.
Maybe, at the time, I wasn't into 3DS games?
I think I played it around the time the Wii U was released, for the first time, so it might be a possibility.
However, I didn't enjoy a game that much since Majora's Mask 3D... (Which is probably a bad example since it was released only half a year ago.)

I even enjoyed completing it 100%, this is a thing not much games can me get to do... Yes you guessed it, Majora's Mask 3D is one of those games, too.

The biggest thing I can complain about is that I felt like it was too easy, the bosses are rather easy to defeat, and the end boss was rather short.
The only other things I could complain about are minor things, like the fact that everything is so friggin' expensive!
...Or this darn Ice Temple! ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

However, things I really liked about the music and the overall look. It is has some really great tunes and it looks very beautiful and atmospheric! (And a special favor for people who played A Link to the Past!).
But game-wise, I really liked the puzzles. They are challenging, but not too hard (Beside this one treasure in the Shadow Temple!), and felt rewarding every time... even though they mostly are just rupees... at least, A Link Between Worlds is a game in that you have places to spend them on, unlike in a lot of other Zeldas, where you sit on just a few hundred rupees until you finally find something to buy.

- Let me tell ya'; there's nothing more frustrating than going into an unexplored dungeon with a full wallet in your pocket! -

Overall, it was a really great experience and I'd recommend it to everyone who wants to play a great Zelda tiltle, regardless of whether you only played the 3D Zeldas, or only the older ones... or none...
If you played all Zelda titles, however, I'm sure there's a high chance of you having already played it...
Then I'd like to recommend you to play it again!... It is fun!

Therefore, my rating is a solid 9.8/10.

(<- I liked this guy... but his prices are higher than the entire Hyrule castle!)

Last edited:
Yoshi's Woolly World

Pros
+++ Amount of different Yoshis
+++ No babies
++ Main bosses
++ Art style
++ Story
++ Collectibles
++ Poochy
+ Naval Piranha easter egg
+ Baby Bowser boss battle was at least different from previous ones
Cons
--- Some extra levels were extremely frustrating (especially World 3-S and World 4-S)
--- Only two different mid-bosses
-- Baby Bowser as final boss again

9/10 The game was surprisingly good, especially when comparing to Yoshi's New Island, which was a disappointment.

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
MOTHER/EarthBound Zero/Earth Bound/EarthBound Beginnings

Pros:

+ Cool side quests that are ACTUALLY rewarding, like the infinite money via Mouthwash
+ Plain and simple turn-based combat, nothing silly or gimmicky
+ Characters lie on a spectrum from ridiculous to believable, yet none of them are just plain stupid
+ Great plot twist at the end
+ Difficult
+ It actually managed to keep my attention for more than an hour at a time. As a singleplayer game, there's no greater honor.
+ Purely amazing soundtrack which actually works in the format it's presented in. Often, chip music would be good music if it wasn't chip music. I think a few of the songs on the soundtrack work best as chip songs. Although the vocal album is awesome.
++++++++ The battle between EVE and R•7038XX

Cons:
- Grinding is excessive for a game of its length. If I wasn't playing in an emulator and lacked the ability to speed the game up 10x, I probably would have been pretty pissed.
- Kinda aged, although I could see an indie RPG being very similar in the things which make MOTHER aged.
- Probably would have been a pain to complete without a guide

Individual scores:

Gameplay:
Classic JRPG format without being boring. The huge map was also really awesome.
8/10
Assets:
This rating covers graphics, music, etc. I really loved the way that certain sprites looked, such as Lloyd's map sprite. I've already spoken to how much I loved the music.
8/10, graphics are aged by virtue of the format but are still amazing.
Story:
It's amazing. There's not much to say here, other than that the format and age limit the actual ability to tell a deep story. Acknowledging that, the story is pretty much as good as it gets for Famicom games.
Another important thing to note is that the story isn't anything to shake a stick at until the last 2 or 3 hours. Those hours really bring back any doubts you had about how good the story (or game as a whole) is.
9/10, regardless of aged format.

Final Score: 8.7/10
A staple for a reason.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
10/10

(It's been a while since I actually beat a game tbh)

Pros:
- Really good story with awesome twists
- Great cast, not one unlikable character (well...)
- engaging, awesome music
- AWESOME MUSIC
- Nothing in the world is more satisfying than an "Objection!"

Cons:
- Probably better served with Apollo Justice as the lead (not biased at all :D)

---
I haven't played any visual novels and this is my first time playing this series. I had all of the fun. It was great. I can't wait to play the others. I generally try to do a real review, but I can't think of anything to criticize this game for really.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Pros:
  • Everything.
    No Seriously though the game is a more than an adequate successor to the already beloved Link to Past.
  • The new painting mechanic introduced is used fantastically, adding a new layer of depth to the puzzles
  • Speaking of the puzzles as usual the series doesn't fail at using every item to it's potential. Everything is used in creative and unique ways giving a satisfying challenge.
  • SPEAKING OF ITEMS gotta stop doing that having every item available early on gives an intense feeling of freedom to the player, even further enhancing the exploration that the series is known for. Plus later on in the game another aspect is added further rewarding exploration with promises of item upgrades and great power.
  • It is rock solid mechanically. I experience no glitching or lag at all even with the 3D on.
  • SUPER easy to pick up and play. In fact it might benefit from short bursts of gameplay.
  • The music is fantastic, providing remixes to already beloved themes and a few new songs that I'm sure many will love.
  • The art is beautiful, the game is vibrant and colorful. Though just like the music it does a great job of conveying the situation at hand. From dark and dismal to bubbly and cheerful, it fits very well.
  • The characters are like-able and you'll be sure to have one or two favorites. (Mine is Irene)
  • OH MY GOD THE 3D. IF YOU CAN PLAY THIS ON A NEW 3DS BECAUSE OH LORD IT ADDS SO MUCH TO IMMERSION.
  • Streetpass is used in an interesting and fun way, allowing you to battle other customized "Links" that you pass as Shadow Links. Little yet enjoyable.
  • The game has a decent amount of length. Though I wanted more, in a good way of course.
Cons:
  • The story is a bit generic. That's about it.
FINAL VERDICT:
9.5 out of 10.

Conclusion:
THE GAME IS NEAR PERFECT.
Almost every aspect about it is enjoyable and love-able, arguably you could say this is a perfect 2D adventure game if you excluded the story. Sadly I am not, it's not bad in any right but it was a bit lacking in my eyes.
I would gladly marathon the game again. It's such an amazing experience, especially if you use a pair of good headphones and a New 3DS with Face Tracking 3D.
If you have a 3DS buy the game.
If you don't have a 3DS buy a New 3DS and buy the game.
It's that good.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Sonic After the Sequel

Best fangame I ever played. Great level design, beautiful scenery, fun and the best thing: The soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous.

_gold_

Smash Master
Borderlands 2
9/10
That's the last game I finished as well.
7/10

My friend is obsessed with these games. Perhaps that's even an understatement. He pleaded with me long enough to try it, that I finally did. I finished it, but I wasn't as impressed as he made it out to sound. It was a fun game, but a bit boring at some parts.
However, Jack was amazing villain (even though he got a bit bland near the end) and I hope to see him again in a sequel perhaps. Pre-sequel doesn't count. Speaking of which, I'm enjoying that game more then BL2.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Last game I beat 100%, Saints Row The Third (for PS3). Completed it in under 3 weeks and since then have gone back and playe the first and second, and currently saving up for the forth. Don't know how they'll continue the series, but the third was a great play.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Last game I completed was Project X Zone on the 3DS. The last chapter was a bit challenging but overall I enjoyed the gameplay and its wonderful cast of characters from the Capcom, Sega and Namco sides.

My rating - 8/10

Squigglydot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0404-7785-8307
Last game I finished was Dragon Age II, which personally I liked a lot.
I liked the combat system a lot better than DA: Origins, but that's probably cause I'm not a huge fan of RPGs. Most of the characters were great in my opinion, and the missions associated with them is pretty rad. The main story does feel a little unnecessary though; almost all the conflicts should be so easily avoidable, but that isn't case, and the third arc is very disconnected from the previous two.
Hawke is a great character as well. They play a great role to pull the player into the game, and they have a lot of good dialogue.

I really like the game. My rating would be around 8/10

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Pikmin - The beginning of the game is really confusing and the time limitation is so annoying at first, but after a few days (in-game), I got to understand the mechanics better and so I progressed smoothly for the remaining of the game. Until the last boss, who isn't exactly hard, but I lacked the patience to try keeping the Pikmin fellows alive, so I lost... many of them during the fight. RIP, little folks. Anyways, the game is incredible and I am going to start playing Pikmin 2 as soon as possible.

Two days I finished a game that I actually have finished several times before: Jak 3. Coincidentally the day when I finished it was the 11th annivesary of the game's release in America.

Pros
+++ Story
+++ Characters
+++ Missions (a lot of variety)
+++ Places
+++ Dark Jak, guns and hoverboard return
++ Actual cars instead of those fragile things that were used on races in Jak II
++ New guns
++ Daxter. The game would be much more boring without him.
++ Music
++ Bosses
++ Locations
+ Light Jak
Cons
--- No postgame
-- Count Veger not being killed at the end. Seriously, if you have played the game, it's impossible to not despise him.
-- Marauders make Wasteland missions very frustrating at times.
- Only the final boss gets it's own boss theme. First and second boss use the Catacomb Subrails and Dark Maker Ship themes.
- Daxter can be annoying at times
- I'm not into shipping, but I didn't like how they changed Jak's love interest from Keira to Ashelin suddenly, without any explanation (Keira serves barely any purpose in the game because of this). But apparently other fans didn't like it either, as Keira became Jak's love interest again in Jak X.

9/10 My favorite PS2 game. I've played it over and over again and still enjoy it.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Just finished Undertale twice. First time an accidental neutral run, second time the true pacifist run. An astounding level of detail was put in with my emotions going all over the place. The pacifist ending was a great birthday gift for me. Probably my second or third favorite RPG, behind Golden Sun TLA and maybe tied with Pokémon Heart Gold and Black.

Rate: Papyrus / 10

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Replayed Sonic and the Black Knight
Still love that game
Pros:
+Pretty great story
+Best performances of 4kids actors imo
+Fun to play levels and boss fights
+Fantastic soundtrack with lots of Crush 40 greatness
+I really love the unique presentation of the non CGI cutscenes, and the CGI cutscenes look great too
+Nicely working motion controls and controls in general
+Sonic has a sword, and radical. Plus, you can play as Shadow, Knuckles, and Blaze
+Tons of collectible music, artwork, etc
Cons:
-Dragon's Lair. That level sucked so hard

Overall: 9/10

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Bindings of Isaac: Rebirth

I'm giving it a 10/10. Why? I honestly have not enjoyed a game this much since TES:Skyrim when I first got it. This game is freaking amazing at keeping a player challenged and making every playthrough unique.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Undertale (PC): 9/10

+ GREAT writing. Hilarious, heartwarming, and some other word with an h. Oh yeah, horrifying. Easily one of the best written games in a long time. Characters are memorable and all well likable (Except for So Sorry, if you know his origins.)
+ Excellent music, which is natural since this game's by Toby Fox.
+ This game is Little Things: The Game. It remembers all your choices even on new playthroughs, will remember what you wore at certain times, and knows when you quit the game without saving (Certain things happen during certain parts if you do this. No spoiling, though.)

= Visuals range from pretty to obvious developer's art. When it's good though, it's really good. Animations are rather limited on certain characters. For example, the player character and a few NPCs only have about two or three frames of animation.
= The gameplay itself is a mixed bag. The bullet hell bits are interesting and unique for an RPG, but the combat is pretty bare bones. There's not much variety or strategy involved. Certain equipment has special stats (1 HP every other turn, food heals more, etc.) but that's about it.

- Rather short, can be completed in about five or six hours.
- There is a little bit of backtracking if you want the best ending. And this game has quite a few rooms to go through.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS3): 9/10

+ The best gameplay in the series. It feels really polished and fun to play. There's so much to do despite the maps being limited. The controls feel really tight.
+ Visuals look EXCELLENT, even on outdated hardware such as PS3.
+ This game is full of little things. You can screw with the enemies in so many ways, or just flat out murder them in any fashion. The most creative I saw was a guy strapping C4 to a soldier, Fultoning him, and blowing up a helicopter that was flying in the path of the balloon.
+ Metal Gear Online is fun, and working together with a team is mad hype.

= The story. It's alright, not the best written, though there are some scenes and moments that are really good.

-Though gameplay is fun, there are a few flaws. Side op missions are kind of bland and repetitive. "Extract this soldier" or "Kill/Extract the unit" and the like WILL be done at least 12 times. Each. The maps are somewhat limited and are small and a bit barren for sandbox games. The gameplay is also a bit unbalanced. You can go demon or total stealth, yeah, but the most effective way is to tranq and fulton everyone.
- While the visuals are nice, there is a lot of pop-in and such. Trees and rocks will suddenly be there, and looking at things from a distance with a scope/binoculars will be odd (Textures will be very blurry, no details or objects will not be loaded, etc.)
- Forced online play in the style of FOBs. The worst part is that, if you don't want them, good luck being able to 100% the game with a limited Mother Base.
-The FOX Engine is great, don't get me wrong, but I've ran across a decent amount of bugs in my almost 200 hours.

Shovel Knight (3DS): 8/10

+ Pretty good sprites, a lot of detail despite being 8-bit.
+ Gameplay's really fun, the mixture of action and platforming meshes well, and the shovel mechanics are well done.
+ Excellent music. Each level has a catchy theme and the boss theme is usually a remix of it.
+ Game's got a lot of charm to it. Every character but like two feels really likable, even minor background NPCs.

= The base game is rather short. Luckily NG+ and/or 100% is a thing.

- Playing with the Circle Pad takes some getting used to. A lot of times I'd push down to pogo and swing left or right.
- Some of the "guests" from the Kickstarter are a bit boring or cliche. Reize is a walking anime stereotype (EVEN MORE IF YOU LOOK AT HIS CREATOR'S DEVIANTART. LIKE 12 LONG PARAGRAPHS OR SO AND HE STILL MANAGED TO MAKE THE MOST ANIME THING EVER.) and the one dude who shoots lightning felt kind of boring. I can't even remember his name.
- Overall an easy game despite being an NES tribute.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Dead Space...

Such a horrifying and disturbing game, but it's also so fun! I loved the gameplay and the weapons you can use. The story also made the game very engaging for me.

My score is a 10/10. I'll be playing the sequels once I get them one day.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Dead Space...

Such a horrifying and disturbing game, but it's also so fun! I loved the gameplay and the weapons you can use. The story also made the game very engaging for me.

My score is a 10/10. I'll be playing the sequels once I get them one day.
Be wary of 3. I hear it's not as good as the other two.

Last edited:

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
South Park: The Stick of Truth - 8/10

This game is funny, not to mention fun. The gameplay isn't like your typical turned based RPG, you are actually doing something with your selected move. Choose a move, you might have to click or mash buttons when you choose that specific move. Customization is great, story is very entertaining, and the music is surprisingly amazing. The only issues with the game are: a short story and some jokes not really being that good. Other than that, amazing game. Can't wait for the sequel!

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Metroid: Zero Mission - 9/10

One of my favorites from the Metroid series. Zero Mission takes everything that's good from the original and improves it. The sprite work is fantastic, the soundtrack translates to the GBA well, and the gameplay is faster and more responsive. If you've never played a Metroid game before, this is the one to start with.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Undertale

Pros
Unique story
Great characters to listen and chat with (Asriel, Undyne, sans, Tsunderplane, Muffet, and Knight Knight are among my favorites)
Well written dialogues of the characters and enemies
The entire soundtrack (Hopes and Dreams / Save the World, Heartache, Spider Dance, Death by Glamour, Bergentruckung / ASGORE, Undertale, Dating Starts, Ruins, Your Best Nightmare / Finale, and His Theme are among my favorites to listen)
Wonderful characters and enemies designs
Endings (Genocide and/or Pacifist) that you really deserve it since you cannot change it back unless you reset the entire game
Difficulty are balanced and the reason why they are is understandable (with one exception)
Some moments in this game does gives me chills, shock, or laughable.

Cons
Enemy encounters gets annoying if backtracking
Despite that the gameplay was nice as a RPG / Bullet Hell, sometimes it gets repetitive
While Mettaton NEO being anticlimactic to fight is understandable, there could be a better way of making the fight better
Who and what of Chara (why did he hate humanity in the first place?) and Frisk (why did he go to the underground anyway?)
Asriel should at least be reunited with Frisk and his friends. Thus everyone gets a happy ending

Overall, I would give this game a 9/10, 4/5, or 90/100. Despite that some people find Undertale to be the best game they ever played, I would agree with them if the cons (they are quite minor when you think about it) that I picked never existed. Anyway, it was a great game to play!!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Hyrule Warriors - 8/10

I had the game for a little over a year but it wasn't until recently that I finally beat it. Game can be pretty stale sometimes but overall, I enjoyed it a lot. Haven't done Adventure Mode at the moment.

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
Bayonetta 2 - 10/10

Damn near flawless gameplay, fantastic mix-and-match weapon system, wonderfully tongue-in-cheek writing, gorgeous presentation and visuals, and a brilliant soundtrack. It's also loaded with content despite a somewhat short main story and the cast is superb. I even warmed up to Loki by the end. Although I wasn't a fan of Luka's redesign.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Xenoblade Chronicles

Pros

+ Graphics was great at the time as the late Wii game being released.
+ Combat system was not that difficult thanks to the tutorials that shows more details of how to use certain mechanics.
+ Cutscenes (in both dialogue and real time) was good and watchable.
+ Voice actors of every characters in English made the characters a lot more memorable and fun to listen.
+ Most characters have some good character developments. Although there are some characters that I find them annoying and bothersome. Still this one was positive.
+ Soundtrack was good. Not perfect. Just good.

Cons
- Some characters plot twists are too predictable and had bad foreshadowing to the point that the characters are acting like idiots while the player like me knows who the characters really are.
- Most quests (and achievements) are too pointless and it makes 100% completions of this game a lot longer than doing the main story.
-
Questionable, but Gadolt (get off the freaking Mechon!), Sorean (can someone get that emperor off before Metal Face might kill him?), and Egil (Zanza is going to stop you anyway. Why try to fight him in your weakened Yaldabaoth) shouldn't die in the end.

Overall: 9/10

Saturn Ross

Smash Rookie
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (PC/GameCube) 6/10
So, I played this way back in 2005 at some bank I happened to visit, and had a 5 minute blast playing it. And so, of childhood nostalgia, other Sonic fans recommending it and the OST, I got SADX on PC to re-live some memories and finally beat it. And I enjoyed it for a bit before removing my nostalgia goggles and realizing just how many problems I have with the game. The game sure hasn't aged well, with "meh" graphics, bad controls, and I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now how bad the voice acting is. But hey, the music is good, the idea of Chao was clever, and the level design was actually okay. I'd say just play it if you're really curious or you're a big Sonic fan.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC/XBox) 8/10
Wow, I had awesome luck learning about this. So, I was at my Uncle's when I stumbled upon an Xbox with some games, like Sonic Mega Collection and Halo. But what caught my eye was Morrowind. I just finished Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition at the time and wanted yet another fantasy adventure. I popped in the disc and was blown away. It had everything I wanted in a game at the time- pure freedom. And once I got a PC many years later, I went and actually bought Morrowind, and was yet again blown away. Morrowind has a brilliant story, epic music and of course, freedom, as it is an open-world RPG. The only real complaints I have are the controls and how the menus work, (but those could just be me) the somewhat dated character models, and the dreaded Cliff Racers. Cliff Racers are an incredible pain, but that's another story. The game is a blast to play through, and despite some very minor issues, holds up incredibly today.

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
I Wanna Be The Guy
3/10

Finished it just for the "Guy" title. Also, the credits can kill you, like everything else in the game.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'd give Undertale a 9.5/10 and I'm usually pretty damn picky with my scores. It was fantastic. I was filled with laughter, feels, and DETERMINATION throughout my experience with the game, the music is great, the gameplay unique and really engaging, and a story that really sucks you in and says "hey here's something that seems basic at first glance but it's actually really messed up".

Twewy

Smash Lord
Half-Life: Opposing Force: 8/10.

+ The great gameplay of Half-Life carried over into an expansion pack.
+ Nice visuals for the time.
+ Interesting level design.

= New mechanics, while interesting, are rarely used in the game. The squad mechanic is only used in two or three sections, with at least one section having the squadmate(s) scripted to run into something like a turret or sniper and die.

- Short length
- Many annoying enemies that stop being fun to fight the second time.

-------Shepard hasn't been used since 1999.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Xenoblade Chronicles X - 8.5/10

Never had this much fun playing an RPG game since Fire Emblem Awakening. I literally spent over 140 hours playing through it cuz there's so much to do in there besides the main story, which was pretty confusing but okay nonetheless. Even though I beat it, I'm still playing it because, as I said, there's still so much else to do.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Star Fox 64 3D - 9/10

This was my first experience with a Star Fox game, and I really liked it. I dig all the branching paths and hidden objectives.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Been over a week already but

Trails in the Sky SC 9/10

Story, would be a definite 10/10. The game is part 2 of the Trails in the Sky games and it's absolutely necessary to play the first since this wraps up that arc. I haven't enjoyed a story in a JRPG like this in quite some time. So much world building involved and a whole lot of care being put into the characters. Even the NPCs have more backstory than characters in other games.

Music is also a 10/10. Falcom just doesn't disappoint with their soundtracks.

Battles 8/10. I'm quite satisfied with it. It's really fun and has a lot of strategy involved along with other difficulty levels. Only reason I put it as low as I did is because of the speed. Games later in the series added more mechanics and has sped up the battles considerably. Because of that, it makes it a bit harder to rate the gameplay in battles quite as high.

I definitely recommend people who love JRPGs to try out this series. Pick up Trails in the Sky FC when you can. It's available on PSP/Vita/Steam.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Paper Mario (Nintendo 64):
  • Lovable AND memorable characters
  • Great gameplay
  • Good story
  • Great music
Giving this game anything but a 10/10 would be insane.

Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

(I'm ignoring DLC in this rating, despite some being bundled with the game)

Pros
+++ Gameplay
+++ Story
+++ Sidequests
+++ Characters
+++ Places
+++ Graphics are the best I've seen so far.
+++ Joker brings much humor to the game.
+++ Tag team battles with
Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing.
+++ Batmobile
+ Easter eggs
+ AR Challenges
Cons
--- Too few boss battles for Batman in the main game.
Albert King and Riddler Mech
are the only two. Remaining bosses are for Batmobile.
-- Batmobile gets too much focus.
-- No final boss
- No major differences in New Game +
- Arkham Knight's identity was quite predictable. It was a surprise when I first saw it, but after playing New Game +, I realised how obvious it was.
- Confusing ending

9/10 The game is amazing. I haven't been so addicted to a game for many years.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
It's been a while since I finished it, but Fire Emblem: Awakening was my last one. I'd give it an 8/10, but this is coming from someone who enjoys a game then gives it a 6/10, so you know I really liked it.

I went into FE:A with low expectations. I was never a big fan of turn based RPGs and Awakening was technically my second Strategy RPG. Which was my first one?
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. And I didn't like it. This really did not help with my expectations towards Awakening at all. This game was also incredibly hard to find for me and I still paid 40 dollars for it despite it being used, so this game seemed to be doing absolutely everything in its power to set itself up for disaster.

And... I liked it. From the start, I was very impressed by the graphics on the cutscenes. I really liked the art style, and the Japanese voice acting was very good. The actual game began, and then I heard the English voice acting, and that was also very good, but I will admit it is weird that setting the cutscene voices to Japanese only makes the cutscenes Japanese, and there are only a handful of them, so you don't see them often.

The gameplay was something that really grew on me. I didn't like it in Shadow Dragon, it was kind of boring, but they must've done something here to make it exciting. I think it's the voice acting coupled with the flashyness. Considering this clearly wasn't a game for chilren, I'm actually very surprised that there is 0 blood in this game. It was something I missed throughout a very good bit of my plauthrough, as it did look very awkward for me to see someone slashing someone else in half yet seeing zero blood and no gore. But it's a Nintendo game, of course it wouldn't have that. I liked the units in the game... atleast the units I actually bloody used. This is a common complaint I heard for this game: You get a lot of units but not a whole lot of incentive to use them. Sometimes, the story gives you units that are very underleved or simply not useful at all when compared to the units that you're already using, so you don't exactly get any motivation to use them other than if you want to challenge yourself.

You... might want to try to set up arbitrary challenges, though. If you play this game on Normal... it's the easiest RPG you'll probably ever play. It's honestly on par with the easier Pokemon games, and come to think of it - with the main story clocking in at around 25 hours, it's honestly about the same lenght as well... Which I thought was rather coincidental, and strange. I've only ever went through a few difficult moments. Early in the game, at about chapter 7 or 8, I got into a Risen battle that was oddly very difficult. I was very outnumbered, and the enemies actually consistently dealt 1/3 to a whole half of my units' health worth of damage. I couldn't finish it without losing atleast one unit for a couple of tries, but eventually, I got past it with no friendly casualties and no battle in the entire game was as difficult since. Some of the Paralogues are difficult... but they're gimmicky, just figure out the gimmick and you can finish them really easily.

Now, the story and the characters. The story is very well executed, but it's not exactly great itself. It's mostly predictable (more on that later) and ridiculously black in white in its morality. People who wear blue are good and cool. People who wear red and your enemies and thus must be eliminated. Ylisse is beautiful and kind and the greatest nation ever. Plegia is evil, dirty and disgusting and their soldiers are mean. Actually, the game drops the black and white morale once, in Chapter 10, where, before the fight begins, you actually get to listen to what the Plegian soldiers have to say, and it makes you feel sorry for them, since they're not fighting out of choice. It's the only time in the entire game where the story acknowledges that the people you brutally murder throughout the entire game maybe might be humans and have feelings and a family much like you. That's instantly dropped the next chapter, though, so I guess that's the only batch of enemy soldiers in the entire game that had feelings.
Well, I called the story predictable: If Smash 4 didn't so casually spoil Lucina's identity for us, the reveal that the mysterious "Marth" was a woman all along, and later on, that "Marth" was Chrom's child (when she's revealed, the real Lucina is but a newborn baby) that came from a horrifying future trying to prevent it from happening would be a very good and unexpected twist, but yeah, Smash didn't care. Then again, they didn't care about the twist about Sheik either. The twists regarding Robin and his identity are both unexpected and not casually spoiled by Smash. They were very interesting and kept me wondering what would happen next. Anything outside the twists, however, is pretty uninteresting and somewhat predictable. I won't spoil the endings, but there are two of them, and this is one of those games where the writers didn't have the guts to write a bad ending, so you have "Good Ending" and "Even Better Ending". Neither of the choices you are given are wrong. The "Yes" ending closes everything in a happy ending where everybody lives happily ever after. Then the "No" ending... pretty much ends the Fire Emblem timeline, if I got that correctly. It would make sense, considering this game was supposed to be the last one.

The characters are likable, but I'll focus on Robin, Chrom and Lucina, more. To me, it was obvious that they were trying to sell Chrom as the main character in this game, but wanted to try to make Robin and Lucina equally as important. In the first third of the game, Prologues 1 and 2 and Chapters 1-8, Robin doesn't have that much dialogue, and whenever anything plot relevant is going on, he keeps his mouth completely shut as if he were a mute. Lucina is a recurring character in those first 8 chapters, she only appears occasionally, but she's already far more relevant to the story than Robin is. Which leaves Chrom, but for those 8 chapters... Chrom is absolutely nothing but your generic easy to anger tough guy protagonist with less developed grey matter than your average baby. I'm sorry, but to me, Chrom is just stupid at the start of the game. He is seriously surprised that Robin thought of the strategy of pairing units together, that "2 people fight better than one", and even says that Robin is a genius for thinking of that. Ylisse's soldiers where under this guy's control for how long? I'm surprised Ylisse even has an army, let alone that they won wars in the past with him in command.
Thankfully, after the 9th chapter, things take a turn for the better. Robin finally starts being more to the story other than "that guy you created at the start of the game", and most of the twists in the story later are related to him. Lucina stops being a supporting character and joins the main crew, and she's a very interesting and well developed character. Not only that, but as a unit, she's OP as hell, which helps my caveman brain to like her. Even with that, Chrom still has by far the most dialogue out of all three, but after the events of Chapters 9, 10 and 11, to me, it didn't feel like they did anything interesting with him. He was still just a your average tough guy protagonist that is strong, honest and whatever other generic trope you can equip a main character with. His support conversations are really interesting, but those not part of the main story.

Overall, I liked the game, I feel like they could've approached Chrom better and that Normal could have been slightly more difficult, but I still had a lot of fun with it. It gave me tons of reasons to like Lucina, and Robin comes off as a really likable character to me by the end as well. I don't plan on getting Fates anytime soon, though. I think I had my Fire Emblem share, for now. Maybe I'll get it someday, but not soon.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Okay. The last game I finished was literally a year ago, so let's see...

Persona 4: 9/10

+ Great soundtrack worth listening too. ESPECIALLY the reincarnation remixes. Those were just amazing on so many levels.
+ Story was great. I thought it stood out as the "you're the detective, find the murderer" idea and it was really well done.
+ I LOVED the characters too. They were funny and smart in their own ways. My most favorite being Kanji and Naoto.
+ Social Links. It gives you a great time to know about the party members and other characters. I enjoyed that.

- Battle system was meh. I thought it was kind of the same aside from the persona mechanics but there wasn't much that I recall that made it stand out. Not unique as I remember, but still good I guess.
- This game is challenging, but I thought personally the TV World dungeons was a bit too much work.

Can't think of any more cons from a game that I finished a year ago, but this is an RPG I would definitely recommend playing.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Contra: 8/10

This game is pretty hard, even with the Konami Code. Not impossible, but harder than your average NES game. I plan on going back to it at some point and trying to beat it without the code, but that probably won't be for a while.

The controls are very responsive, but they take a little getting used to. Many times the game expects you to shoot at strange angles while dodging incoming fire, and this can take some time to get accustomed to.

The music is awesome; about top 10 for the system.

The bosses are pretty cool, but the final boss was a little disappointing. Pretty easy compared to some of the other bosses you face.

All in all Contra is worth playing, and I know that I'm looking forward to replaying it, as well as playing the sequels sometime in the future.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)
11/10
  • Amazing Gameplay (Stylish Moves FTW!)
  • Good plot
  • Fun chapters
  • Amazing music
  • Very memorable characters
  • Somewhat challenging
I think I've even become attached to these partners too.
Sniff...

Top Bottom