• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the last game you finished!

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
If you do everything the game month has to offer, you'll probably be OP for the coming chapters but if you don't do everything you'll be under-powered.
I remember my first BE play through when I got silver snow. I did nothing and got deathly weak and needed to grind lots of aux battles. In my next play through, I did the quests and Monastery stuff but after that I did battles using points. By the time I hit the final boss I was like 5 levels above everything. This was crimson flower.

Reactions: ---

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC)

Insane, truly insane game. Don't care about what plot contrivances exist (except for when
Raiden almost goes ripper mode after Blade Wolf doesn't shake
like what was that about?) when the gameplay is so good and the soundtrack is even better. The two DLC campaigns are fun twists on the core gameplay, too. The memes are incredible. Pervasive and everlasting, seeing a resurgence even. Gonna go down as one of the action games of all time if just for the OST alone

Last edited:

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC)

Insane, truly insane game. Don't care about what plot contrivances exist (except for when
Raiden almost goes ripper mode after Blade Wolf doesn't shake
like what was that about?) when the gameplay is so good and the soundtrack is even better. The two DLC campaigns are fun twists on the core gameplay, too. The memes are incredible. Pervasive and everlasting, seeing a resurgence even. Gonna go down as one of the action games of all time if just for the OST alone
(it was about funny)

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Finished DBXenoverse 2. It’s lock on mechanics were annoying in multi enemy battles, trying to get the skill meditation is HELL, and combat isn’t very free flow. At the same time, I am a simple man who likes to beat UI Goku with Krillin, so 8/10

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
Vanquish (PC)
This action game in cover shooter clothing seems like something that at first would overstay its welcome. It seems at first to be a horde driven experience, with droves of mindless grunts encroaching on your position, forcing you to make use of the novel high speed sliding and slowmo mechanics to not get mowed down. But you, as DARPA agent and chain smoker Sam Gideon, are tasked with aligning yourself with a sort of United States space military. And the tactics of this military are relayed to you over voice comms, directing the flow of battle forward and toward your next whatever objective. The story doesn't matter much; it's something about Russia attempting to handicap the United States' energy resources by taking over the US-constructed solar energy station floating in outer space. It starts out with Russia succeeding and obliterating San Francisco off the map and ends with the United States president blowing her brains out. It's got some potential as a political thriller, but mostly only serves to send Sam through arenas and hallways and is essentially spectacle otherwise.

As you progress, it gradually becomes clear that systems driving Vanquish's controls, level design, and enemy AI all intersect at that sweet spot that hits your monkey brain just right and has you thinking "Oh gosh, I'm having so much fun!" The sense of speed you get from sliding around the bits of cover to avoid the bullet storm raining down on you just feels good. It's not just mindless free roam fun though. Sliding, slowmo, and melee attacks all pull from the same resource, and completely depleting this resource means your suit overheats for a time. Management of this system is vital to survival. The action game DNA inside has you wanting mastery of this system so you can move fast and feel cool. On top of this, there are a few additional hidden lessons for your to elevate your cool factor even more. You can skip reloading animations by swapping weapons, you can shoot your own grenades out of the sky easily while using slowmo, and you should pretty much never use melee attacks since it makes your suit overheat immediately. Once you've learned all of that, the battlefield becomes a playground. There's a very steady form of difficulty progression, too. The later parts of the game change to have cover be more sparse, and enemies placements more intense, but none of that matters, because you've been getting more badass.

A personal highlight of Vanquish for me is the statues you can find hidden throughout the world. Think the Halo series' skulls, or Resident Evil's blue emblems. They're small, golden figures of a man that, when shot, turn red and play an audio clip of the man swearing at you. The man doesn't seem to be a character in the game, and you don't get anything unless you get all of them, but these statues are a great addition regardless. Typically sprinkled in at the respite moments between battle, they help to always have you doing something, even when the story isn't.

Vanquish is a lot of fun, but having finished with it, the main thing I can think about it is how I want more. I mean this in a good way. There are some actual shortcomings: the end of level ranking system is useless, melee attacks have far too much risk for their reward, and the monorail segment of the game admittedly just sucks (why keep me on a small moving platform? I want to slide around dude). These are all so fixable. But everything else ranges from "perfectly serviceable" to "great," and I just want more of this game. It's obvious there's never going to be any sort of update to improve some aspects of Vanquish, but it stands just fine on its own anyway. So here's to a sequel somewhere down the line instead 🚬

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
9/10

image_2022-02-26_142336.png

You will always have a place here with us. Remember that. Always.

Fire Emblem: Awakening
is a 2013 strategy-roleplaying game made by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. I've played a few Fire Emblem games over the years; Sacred Stones, Binding Blade, and some rom hacks like Legends of Avenir and Order of the Crimson Arm. That being said, I've wanted to play Fire Emblem: Awakening since Sm4sh and I'm really glad that I eventually had the chance to play it.

For starters, I'm really glad this game is so forgiving. As much as I love Fire Emblem, I'm horrible at it and get a bit distressed if one of my units ends up dying. I'm really happy that the casual mode (yeah yeah call me a casual shut up) makes characters retreat, not die. I'm not sure if they do but I hope more recent Fire Emblem games have that feature.

Oh yeah, the support conversations in this game are excellent. My favorite is Lucina and Chrom's A-tier (I actually almost cried SHUT UP) but another favorite of mine is all of Robin and Chrom's (obviously) and Robin and Frederick's. Cordelia and Gregor's were also really nice. Gregor's one of my favorite characters overall, honestly.

The story is really good. It has a few failings but overall it's great. The ending is absolutely phenomenal and in my opinion even surpassed FF7 in some areas; the ending conversation between Chrom and Robin got me to tear a bit and after Robin sacrificed herself, Chrom saying what I put as the header broke the dam.

My final pairings ended up being:
Chrom x Robin
Frederick x Sully
Vaike x Cherche
Cordelia x Gregor
Panne x Lon'qu

So, yes. Good game. Easily in my top 3.​

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Metroid Dread (Switch)

This game takes everything that I liked about Metroid: Samus Returns (a game that I was already a big fan of) and improves on it. The EMMI units and bosses can be rather difficult at times, but there's no penalty for dying and the game is generous with checkpoints (dying against a boss has you respawn just outside their room, so it's not like you need to backtrack from the nearest save point).

I'm generally a fan of Metroidvanias (on the Switch alone, I have Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, both Guacamelee games, both Ori games, the Castlevania Advance collection, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, all three Blaster Master Zero games, Cave Story, Carrion, and Steamworld Dig 1 and 2), and this is one of the best. The game generally does a good job with pointing you in the right direction (though there were some cases, like right after I got the Speed Booster, where it was unclear what you were supposed to do or where you were supposed to go), and I feel like there's a lot of speed-running or sequence-breaking potential here for those willing to dig deeper. (though I'm not much when it comes to sequence breaking, so I didn't explore that side of the game)

I'm really glad that MercurySteam got the chance to work on a unique Metroid game after the success of Samus Returns, because this knocks it out of the park.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I beat Kirby and the Forgotten Lands. 9/10: very fun experience. It plays well, you can upgrade copy abilities and the mouthful mode brings variety to the levels. My only complaints are that it was good but could have been better in certain areas. It's basically a cookie cutter of every other kirby game but in 3D. The story was pretty meh and the bad guy didn't really have any identity other than being the bigger bad. Still the gameplay was solid and there's a good amount of content and extra tasks to keep you coming back. Would recommend.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Triangle Strategy

This game tells a good story, that's a start. It's engaging enough to actually want to go through all the routes (safe for one, who's considered the worst one). Also great world building and character building in many ways. Gameplay is solid, and graphics look nice though not spectacular like how I felt Octopath Traveller did it. I would recommend it to strategy fans. 8.5/10

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Not "finished" since I doesn't have an actual end but after 30 hours playing The Last Blade 2 I can say is a 7/10, the game is solid but it has the general problems of old fighting games that likes to have stupid inputs just because why not. Still would be cool to have a reboot soon (Hibiki give me copium).

Rizzo12

Smash Rookie
God of War (2018) played through it for a second time and completed it 100% this time. I absolutely love the gameplay, scenery & art, the character development. If you enjoy a challenge as well the game gives that to you at the hardest difficulty.

_______
Billig forbrukslån

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I finished Hitman (2016) and Hitman 2 on PC recently. While there was a lot of post-game content that I could have gotten into (elusive targets that remix the levels, Escalations that gradually increase in difficulty), I played until the credits rolled for both games.

I had a lot of fun with Hitman 2016, and bought both sequels as soon as I could. It took a bit of time for me to get into the groove of the first game, and there were times that I messed up, but I went from relatively boring ways of assassinating targets like guns and neck snaps to disguising as a drummer so I could do surprisingly well in a band audition and kill a target in a poetic fashion. (He became a target for shoving someone out of a hotel balcony, so he was shoved out of a hotel balcony)

The sequel took everything that I enjoyed about the previous game and improved on it, displaying a great balance of seriousness and humour. For me, the highlights were the Mumbai level, where I blew one target off of a roof with a giant fan and caused a train to crash through the hideout of another (it took three tries to get the timing down for that one), and the suburban level where Agent 47 can disguise as a realtor and use the full extent of his assassin training to figure out how normal people use homes. (He's not very good at it - every single sentence sounds like a thinly veiled threat)

Both games are excellent stealth/puzzle games (there are shooting elements as well, but it's difficult to get away with killing targets by shooting them), and I'm looking forward to playing the third one. As an added bonus, owning the previous games unlocks their missions in the latest one (so owning Hitman 1 unlocks those campaigns in Hitman 2, and owning both of those games unlocks their levels/missions in Hitman 3) or you can get the earlier missions as DLC, which means that Hitman 3 can basically cover the entire trilogy. (At least it saves room on my computer)

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Sonic Mania is the best game I have played in a good time. It feels fast and responsive, getting hit doesn’t feel unfair unlike in the older Sonic games, and the soundtrack is great. The environments are creative and beautiful, with lots of depth to each level. My only complaint is that there are areas where things crush you where it looks like it shouldn’t and vice versa, and that the special stages can be really annoying (it’s possible to get soft locked on a certain special stage)

9/10, needs less crushing and better special stages.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hitman 3 continues the trend of being a solid stealth/puzzle game, and as an added bonus, it makes me want to play the original to see how the series has evolved.

While the levels can be hit-or-miss (the final level, while a fun concept, is fairly linear, and I didn't find the China level as interesting as the others), the core gameplay is still solid and entertaining with a lot of variety and replay value. On top of that, it lets you play through all of the levels of the previous two games (though as far as I can tell, not the Elusive Target missions) in one package, which is a nice touch.

The highlight is the second level, a murder mystery in an old English mansion. You can play the level in a wide variety of ways, whether it's the normal method of finding a disguise to get close to the target, or solving the mystery yourself by disguising as a detective, interviewing the suspects, and finding clues.

All of the games were short if you're playing through it until the credits roll (each level took me about forty-five or fifty minutes to complete, so with six levels on average, that means that the campaign will take less than six hours per game), but there's a ton of replay value that has me wanting to dig into the extra challenges, DLC missions, or trying to find all of the costumes that Agent 47 can wear.

Admittedly, this series kind of crept up on me - there are a ton of games in my backlog that I've been meaning to finish, but once I started the first game, I wanted to see it through to the end. The short length and wide variety of options helped with that (I had seen some clips on Youtube, but my playthroughs were quite different from what I had seen), and the game is quite forgiving when it comes to stealth, which is a huge plus given how quickly things can go wrong.

All in all, I had a lot of fun with these games, and the time flew by as I was playing them.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
After some time I beated once again DOOM 2....with mods.

Yeah I think the main reason to play over and over again is install a shi tton of WADs, vanilla DOOM is great but the amount of things WADs like Brutal Doom/Project Brutality between others adds is just chef kiss.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kingdom Hearts 1.5

It took me about 4 months but I finally finished my first playthrough. Am glad I experienced it so I could see why people like the series so much and I can definitely see why. The combat, while very button mash heavy, is satisfying, lots of a exploration, and the music is fantastic. I will definitely get the physical OST someday.

The big issue IMO is that it takes a long time to get good. Many of the first worlds that are explored are pretty boring, lifeless, or are confusing to navigate and full of backtracking (Deep Jungle or Monstro). Once you gain more abilities to explore the areas and discover secrets they really start to open up but it's a long long slog until then. Combat is similar as well as it's only once you start leveling up does it start to feel like you're a badass, but until then it's the same 3 hit combo string over and over.

Bosses are a mixed bag. Most of them you can just have use the same strategy with minimal pattern recognition, while others are super gimmicky. Ursula, Ice Titan, and Phantom gave me more trouble than either Unknown or Sephiroth super-bosses due to their gimmicks. Auto Lock-On targets can also be a major headache in crowds as you'll randomly lock on to an enemy you're not purposely trying to focus on.

Mini-games I guess are fairly harmless but feel unneeded for the most part. The Gummi Ship sections are just bland. I'm a full grown adult and I could barely figure out how ship customization worked and never touch it more than once in my 50 hour playthrough. I hear the sequel improves on a LOT but still suffers from a rough first half. I think I'll go back to the series one day but I'm definitely in no rush. Starting off I could barely make it over a hour of playtime but by the end I was playing for 7 hours straight.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Been playing a lot of Retro Collections on Switch recently.

Aleste Collection

Slightly bare bones of a collection, at least in the sense that it's not a full compilation of the series and that the Gallery mode is a little lacking. Given the bankruptcy of Compile and how their assets/properties were bought up by other companies like SEGA, I guess that makes some sense. There is a fair amount of extra stuff in the Collectors Edition of the game so there's that for whenever someone like Shumplations gets around to it. Considering that the Collectors Edition also comes with an exclusive not-for-resale SEGA Game Gear Mini with all of the games included, it's certainly not a bad deal.

That said, what isn't bare bones is how each of the games are treated. It certainly would have been nice to have had the rest of the series apart of it, but considering each of the included games regularly go for AT LEAST $200 loose on the aftermarket (not to mention Power Strike 2 requiring a PAL TV/Master System to run properly), there's quite a lot being offered in terms of accessibility.

The emulation, as expected of M2, is top notch and the extra display features they provide really add to games themselves and really help decode the sometimes obtuse scoring/power up systems. Having animated sprites of each of the main character pilots helps add a lot of life to the games. Nothing like clearing a stage and having the pilot wink at you in approval of your skills.

The Score Attack and Replay modes are also handled expertly. Shump games are hard but it does feel like the developer has given the right tools to allow players to learn how to play as well as learn from each other. I honestly learned how to one CC GG Aleste 2 by watching a replay of a expert player and ended up ranking at 110 on the World Leader-boards. lol

Aleste - Probably more enjoyable on paper than a lot of shumps of it's vintage, but like Xevious, it gets hard way too fast with it's adaptive enemy patterns. I don't think I've been able to NOT loose at least one life just playing the first stage. It's definitely impressively, but after saving stating my way through it, it became more tiring than enjoyable. Enemy diversity is lacking and with the adaptive AI, it comes down to dodging a lot of the same enemy patterns over and over again. The FM soundtrack is surprisingly relaxing. I really dig it.

Power Strike 2 (MS) - Easily the best SEGA Master System shump and one of the best of the 8-Bit era. I will never be good at it as the difficulty level is possibly the highest among the games in the collection, but it's really respectable with just how much it pushes the system to it's limit. The music is probably the weakest part and is pretty forgettable.

GG Aleste - A fantastic beginner shump. Hardened shump fans probably won't get too much out it, but the challenge and level design make it a perfect pick for those new to the genre or want to get better at it. On the aftermarket, this is the most expensive game on the collection so a lot of value here.

GG Aleste 2 - A great stepping stool for those who played the first GG Aleste and want to expand their skills. Like Power Strike 2 (MS), it pushes the Game Gear to the limit and focuses more on speed and level design at the cost of having less overall stages compared to it's predecessor. It's possibly the best pre-GBA handheld shump. Also probably the most energetic music of the collection.

GG Aleste 3 - It pretty much blows the door open in terms of what can be done on an 8-Bit system. In terms of level and boss design, it definitely comes from a different era in feel and tone. It's noticeably more challenging than the previous Game Gear titles, but it never feels unfair either; just that it seems specifically made for veteran fans of the series. It's a damn shame this game isn't available for individual download or that SEGA/M2 haven't allowed for new physical cartridges to be made to play on original systems. A solid OST here as well. The bass hits hard.

The Title/Menu Theme is a real banger. I absolutely love it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bayonetta 3

While I enjoyed the game (up until the final hour, which took a sharp downturn and felt like a different writing team took over), this might be my least favourite of the Bayonetta trilogy. (though that's a high bar to clear - Bayonetta 2 might be one of my favourite action games of all time, with only Devil May Cry 5 coming close)

The gameplay is solid as always; the series does its usual thing of changing the gameplay every so often (such as turning into a top down shooter), but with some exceptions (the 2D fighter kaiju battles are amazing in concept but incredibly clunky in execution - in a series about fast frantic attacks and over-the-top combos, having characters take what feels like 30 seconds to throw a punch just feels antithetical to what the series is about), they were still exhilarating.

I feel like the game placed too much emphasis on the Demon Slave mechanic. I get why they might go in this direction (Bayonetta regularly summons demons in cutscenes to finish off the opponent, so this incorporated that concept into active gameplay), but it makes Bayonetta feel a lot weaker when her regular attacks barely make most opponents flinch.

Also, I wasn't a fan of Viola's gameplay - normally, it would come across as high-risk, high-reward (with a parry mechanic that has insanely tight timing, and if your timing is off, you take full damage from the attack), but the reward that you get is the same thing that Bayonetta gets for a well-timed dodge (Witch Time), and Viola's Witch Time tends to be shorter than Bayonetta's given how finicky her parry mechanic is, so it's more like high-risk, low-reward. Whenever it came time to play as Viola, I internally groaned - she's a fun character, but she wasn't fun to play as.

The music is great as always, though Moonlight Serenade isn't as memorable as Fly Me To The Moon or Moon River, and I have serious problems with the main battle theme, Al Fine. Whereas the themes of previous games, Mysterious Destiny and Tomorrow Is Mine, are about how graceful/powerful/amazing Bayonetta is, Al Fine is about how amazing Luka is - how he's tamed Bayonetta, he's the only one who can save her, and he's Bayonetta's one desire. All of this feels super out of character, and despite being Bayonetta's theme for the game, it doesn't even focus on Bayonetta.

Character designs are where this game takes a hit. Viola, the new playable character, has a solid design, but with Bayonetta, they went for a blend of Bayonetta and Cereza from the first game that didn't really work for me. It made her feel younger than she was in Bayonetta 2, and combine that with the apparent change in dancing style (more like a pop star than anything sensual) and there were times where it didn't really feel like Bayonetta. Maybe there's an in-story reason for that buried deep within the lore, but I'm treating this as a follow-up to Bayonetta 1 and 2. Jeanne's outfit looks like it was randomly thrown together, and basically all of the enemies are forgettable, even some of the bosses. The angels and demons of the past games had distinct designs that helped them stand out, and the Homunculi are comparatively bland - there are a few stand-outs, but I'm not going to remember any of them by name like I do with Sloth or Grace and Glory. (even the game's final boss has a forgettable design)

However, my complaints about the character designs pale in comparison to my issues with the story. I'm going full spoiler mode with this one, though I'm going to spoiler tag it. Most of the story is about what I'd expect from Bayonetta - the writers take on a concept that they definitely can't handle (in this case, the multiverse), and while it can be incomprehensible at times, we get some great action setpieces out of it, so I'm willing to overlook that. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward - Bayonetta's trying to find the Chaos Gears (MacGuffins from various universes) and keep them safe from Singularity (the leader of the Homunculi), while Jeanne is trying to find Dr. Sigurd, the only person who knows how to use the Chaos Gears.

However, the game hints that Viola is Bayonetta and Luka's daughter from another universe, starting from the opening minutes of the game and with all of the subtlety of a sledgehammer. In addition, with no explanation given beyond "the multiverse is becoming unstable", Luka (previously the clumsy comedic relief and source of exposition) gains the powers of a fairy king and becomes a werewolf.

These storylines would be fine on their own; just because Bayonetta and Luka were in a relationship in Viola's universe, it doesn't mean that they have to be in a relationship in the main one, and it gives Viola a reason to want to help those two and make sure they're safe. However, things fall apart (to put it mildly) starting at the end of chapter 13.

Throughout the entire game, Jeanne has been busy with her quest to find Dr. Sigurd. She reunites with Bayonetta, gets Dr. Sigurd to the island, and helps Bayonetta get to Singularity's home dimension... only for the game to suddenly reveal that Singularity killed and replaced Dr. Sigurd before the game even started. Singularity (who Jeanne had brought to exactly where he wanted to be) promptly stabs Jeanne in the back with a lightsaber that she could have easily avoided (he's still posing as someone who's wheelchair-bound, and dodging is her whole thing), which instantly kills her in a way that is permanent by all appearances. (her Umbran Watch, the reason why they could revive her in the second game, is destroyed, and her soul fades away later)

This means that one of the main characters of the franchise was killed off unceremoniously, getting little reaction from anyone else (Bayonetta says "Jeanne..." once she realizes that they left Jeanne alone with the main villain, but that's about it), and we've only just begun.

The game reveals, after Singularity spends most of it referring to Bayonetta as "Arch-Eve Origin", that Luka is "Arch-Adam Origin", and acting as though he and Bayonetta are destined to fall in love in every single universe. Luka goes to apparently sacrifice himself in order to help Bayonetta and Viola reach Singularity, which causes Bayonetta to nervously lean in to kiss him. He stops her, but this already feels incredibly out-of-character - throughout the first game and most of this one, Bayonetta treated Luka's flirting as amusing at best, while she barely even acknowledged him in the second game, but now, in the final hour of the third game, she acts like she's been in love with him the whole time.

We get to the Singularity boss fight - it has its awesome moments (Madama Butterfly uses a Kamehameha, an army of Bayonetta souls take on Singularity), but Singularity has all of the hallmarks of a terrible anime villain. (and not terrible as in someone who you love to hate - terrible in that you hate watching them because they're just frustrating) Absurdly overpowered with no reason why, no real characterization beyond "I want to destroy the multiverse because I can!", and he never seems to be inconvenienced in any way. Any time it looks like the heroes are going to get the upper hand, he says something like "this phenomenon was within my predictions" and effortlessly turns the tables.

Out of the Bayonetta final bosses, he is EASILY the worst. His first phase is clunky, his third phase is forgettable, and while his second phase is okay, "okay" is not what you want for the final boss of a Bayonetta game. He has a forgettable design in all of his states, no personality to speak of, and he doesn't even get a good ending. Unlike the other final bosses, who get an over-the-top death, he just explodes, and it's not even a big explosion.

Throughout the boss fight with Singularity, we get plenty of moments that would have been awesome, only for the game to reveal that Singularity isn't even injured by what just happened, or that he can effortlessly negate it.

-Bayonetta summoning two upgraded versions of demons at once? He can just walk it off.
-an army of Bayonetta souls fighting him? He can effortlessly destroy them
-Bayonetta and Jeanne's soul teaming up to fight him? It's only enough to force him out of his second stage, and Jeanne's soul disappears midway through the fight
-Bayonettas from the first two games (not their souls, the flesh-and-blood Bayonettas) show up to help out? Singularity swats them away after they take away one of his health bars.
-the two Bayonettas fuse with the main Bayonetta? Singularity says "my control over phenomenon is absolute" and the fusion is undone just because.
-Viola jumps in to help out, trying to make up for the death of her mother at the start of the game and prevent history from repeating itself? She doesn't even get a gameplay moment - Singularity knocks her away in a cutscene with no effort.

Everything seems hopeless - Jeanne is dead, all of Bayonetta's last-ditch efforts failed to make a dent in Singularity, an army of Bayonettas couldn't stop him, and Viola absolutely failed to avenge the death of her universe. So what saves the day?

Luka.

The comedic relief character shows up with full control over his werewolf form, and proves to be more effective against Singularity than a literal army of Bayonettas. By this point, Luka comes across as a self-insert for one of the writers - he's equal to or stronger than Bayonetta, she's madly in love with him, and he's the one who single-handedly turns the tide against the final boss. All of this happens in the final game of a trilogy with no build-up in the previous two games, and most of it happens in the final hour of that game. It's a lot at once.

As I said earlier, the final boss doesn't even go out in a climactic or interesting way, and we are STILL not done with the bullcrap. Over the course of the fight, cracks have been appearing in Bayonetta's Umbran Watch, and after the fight ends, her Umbran Watch shatters, causing Sin Gomorrah to run wild and knock Bayonetta's soul out of her body. Luka kills Sin Gomorrah in one hit (something that even Bayonetta couldn't do with the base version), but it's too late - Bayonetta's being dragged off to hell.

Luka grabs Bayonetta, getting dragged to hell along with her as the two share a kiss. As I said earlier, any romance was awkwardly shoe-horned into the final hour of the story, so while the scene could be seen as sweet, it comes across as a little jarring - it's like an entirely different team of writers took over for the last hour of the game - one who wanted the game to be tragic and romantic, while removing much of the excitement and fun that the series is known for.

Bayonetta's dead, Luka's dead, Jeanne's dead, every version of Bayonetta and Luka across the multiverse are seemingly dead, and Singularity's defeat wasn't even satisfying, but we're STILL not done.

After the credits, we play as Viola (who we've only played as three times over the course of this game), who fights against a shadowy version of Bayonetta who's only ever described as "the darkness that Bayonetta left behind". After a boss fight, this shadowy Bayonetta says that Viola has grown so much (she hasn't - the game just tells us she has). Cut to a short time later, where things are seemingly restored to normal and (with the exceptions of the deaths of Bayonetta, Luka, and Jeanne) the death and destruction caused by Singularity has somehow been undone with his death. Viola (now wearing Bayonetta's glasses and Luka's scarf, even though she can't see out of Bayonetta's glasses and Luka's scarf gets in her way) is working for Rodin, with a new name for herself - Bayonetta.

Cue the dance sequence! (which feels out of place and incredibly tone deaf given what happened)

The entire game ends with a passing the torch ending that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY asked for, killing off three fifths of the main cast in order to make it happen. Viola works fine as a supporting character, and she could have grown into a fitting successor to Bayonetta if given another game or two, but trying to cram Viola's introduction, growth, and her becoming the new playable character all in one game caused them to skimp on the "growth" part, leading to her being introduced and becoming the new main character with absolutely nothing to justify it aside from every other playable character being killed off.

Needless to say (going by that essay that I just wrote up there), I absolutely hated the ending, and it killed basically any interest than I had in a Bayonetta 4. (unless they go out of their way to undo my issues with that game's story, which seems incredibly unlikely - going by comments made after the game's release, it seems more likely that they'll double down)

Also, they try to make the levels more open, which doesn't really work, and it makes it frustrating to track down collectibles as a result when they're hidden in the most obscure corners of the map. (I followed a guide to the letter and still missed about twenty of them)

It's a game of high highs and low lows, and in the final hour of the game, it's mostly lows with the very rare spike upwards. (and for a Bayonetta game, or a Platinum game, that should not be the case)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Captain Toad

7/10

Fun game to pass the time with but too short. Also rather easy even for a younger audience

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Cuphead

20/10

The only other game that even comes close to being as replayable as Cuphead IMO is SSBU, SSBU has high highs, but very, very low lows.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
9.1 Out of 10
Demon Slayer Hinokami Chronicles!
A Really Great story Mode and a Really good Versus Mode!
I Played the switch port and as long as you play it on the Television it looks really Great!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well I beat Horizon Forbidden West and that was, no doubt, the best game I've ever played. Amazing story and characters, great open world open worldlyness and graphics that make other games look like ****. The amount of polish they put into this game was spectacular. 12/10

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been playing Spiderman for the PS4 and have very mixed feelings. On the one hand, it can be incredibly fun to play as spiderman and zip around the city when it works. The problem is the game doesn't always work as intended. Sometimes you're trying to dodge an enemy and Spidey just sticks to the wall next to them and gets beat up by 3 thugs. Or quick time events fail to load properly (happened twice) or the AI doesn't find a building to attach your web to and spidey faceplants from on top a sky scraper. And some of the side missions are boring **** like chasing birds, pulling barrels out of the bay or taking smog samples, I'm not kidding.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
I've been playing Spiderman for the PS4 and have very mixed feelings. On the one hand, it can be incredibly fun to play as spiderman and zip around the city when it works. The problem is the game doesn't always work as intended. Sometimes you're trying to dodge an enemy and Spidey just sticks to the wall next to them and gets beat up by 3 thugs. Or quick time events fail to load properly (happened twice) or the AI doesn't find a building to attach your web to and spidey faceplants from on top a sky scraper. And some of the side missions are boring **** like chasing birds, pulling barrels out of the bay or taking smog samples, I'm not kidding.
I personally found the game to be 10/10, along with the Miles game. All those things you said are true like some of the side missions, but they're side missions and are all typically very, very short. I didn't find them too boring but I can see why you did. The dodging enemies stuff is worked around by being aware of your surroundings to dodge in the other way, or just get perfect dodge and do that if you want. I've never encountered the other issues throughout all the times I've played through, but they do sound like a problem

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Revengers of Vengeance (Sega CD)
7/10

Yes that's the actual localized title name. I saw this covered on Game Sack's Guide to the NA Sega CD Library and immediately wanted to try it. It's definitely more impressive for what it attempts to do rather than it's execution, which is trying in part to be a Fighting-Game RPG.

The roster of 12 characters are all pretty cool and decently diverse for relying a lot of Fantasy/D&D tropes. I can't think of another game that has a playable Harpy Woman or Rhino-Man (not even Darkstalkers). I was surprised that I was able to execute moves more consistently using my Genesis controller than my SNES controller, so everything felt responsive. The issue is that balance on things such as cool down on moves and jank hitboxes/hurtboxes exist. It's all too easy to use projectiles to lock CPUs into place and steamroll everything; the only difficult enemy is the Mid-Boss who absorbs projectiles to heal and spams projectiles of their own.

The RPG mode is interesting but jank. You have 200 days to defeat the Final Boss, and certain actions you take will take a different amount of days. Unfortunately you can max most of your stats and one-shot the Final Boss with more than 150 days to spare. Taking on tougher and more time-consuming opponents is pointless when easier and less time-consuming opponents offer the same rewards. The Shump Mini-Game is amusing, but is awfully too simple and doesn't again offer enough rewards to justify bothering with it.

Considering the game was made almost entirely by one overworked Japanese programmer, it's amazing that it turned out as well as it did. It's also a shame, however, that if it had more time in the oven, it potentially could have been the best original Sega Genesis/CD Fighting game (I haven't played Eternal Champions, but on a gameplay level, I assume it wins.) Not a must for Sega CD owners, but worth checking out if remotely curious.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Pokemon Violet

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Ruby and Sapphire, over twenty years ago, so my perspective on this game is likely going to be different from super-fans of the franchise or people who are into the competitive scene.

I had a lot of fun with the game; the addition of an open world was a huge improvement, and it helped that the setting wasn't so large that it was easy to lose track of where you were going, and there weren't a ton of collectibles scattered throughout unless you count Gimmighoul coins. I'm not sure how many of the Pokemon were new (many of them were new to me), but it was entertaining to roam the world and see them in their natural habitat, especially when playing in co-op.

The game had some bugs, but the worst that I encountered was Pokemon occasionally clipping through the scenery. It wasn't especially challenging if you try to have a wide variety of move types on your team (though given the open world nature of the game, it's entirely possible to run into areas where there are level 50 Pokemon once you have access to Surf, even if your team is level 30 or so), but I was looking for a more relaxing experience, so I was happy with that.

I do feel like the landscapes could have used more variety, though; the setting is fairly plain/forgettable. I'd heard that Area Zero was supposed to be this surreal/crazy landscape, but it didn't live up to that description.

As a side note, I went into the Elite Four match-ups having no idea what types most of them would use (I only knew one of their chosen types because I completed the school lessons), which made for an interesting series of battles where I had to figure out which Pokemon to use mid-battle and diversify my team as much as possible to cover as many weaknesses as I could. If I go back to older games, I think I'll do that there as well.

EDIT: This was the team that I finished the game with:

However, I took this picture after I beat the Elite 4 and the Champion, so their levels were higher at the end of the game.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Pokemon Scarlet

8/10

This game has been a breath of fresh air. A truly invigorating Pokemon experience, and thank goodness, because Sword and Shield were so severely lacking. This is one of, if not the, strongest set of characters a Pokemon game has had. Open world is exciting, and means this is an entry I'll be eager to return to, as it offers a very wide variety of team building options. For those curious, my team for this first-ever run was Mewoscarada, Clodsire, Armarouge, Corviknight, Lycanroc (midnight), and Mimikyu. Can't in good faith give Scarlet the 9/10 I'd wanna give it, though, because, while I didn't run into too many glitches, that doesn't negate the fact that they are very much there. My game did crash on me multiple times, which is never fun. I'm glad they're working on a patch to fix some of these issues, at least.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well I beat Spiderman (PS4). At least I think I beat it. I beat the main villain then it dropped me off in the open world without a very satisfying ending or credits. Maybe there's more. Anyway I have positive to mixed feelings about the game.

The good: Playing as Spiderman is superfun, exploring New York City as an open world is awesome, the graphics were great but not amazing and there's a ton of cool gagits and upgrades.

The bad: Spiderman is really fun when he works right but can be really frustrating when he doesn't, which is often. You can't websling without a wall for the webs to attach to and sometimes during a chase or timed challenge you're just a shade too far away and spiderman jumps off a building and faceplants. In tight corridors when you dodge you stick to walls right next to the thugs and they wail on you. There are a ton of quick time events and sometimes they fail to load. Othertimes it's confusing what you need to do and you just have to fail and hope you do better next time. Like many open world games it gets extremely repetitive. There are a ton of things to do but 70% of them are beating up groups of thugs. Spiderman has a rich rouge's gallery but you barely see any boss fights. It's all thug combat. And a lot of the side missions are boring stuff like (no exaggeration) connecting circuits, pulling barrels out of the bay, jumping through smog clouds, chasing pigeons, and so on.

The game's fun but it would have been a lot more fun if you were doing cooler things like fighting Spiderman villains more. It's best to not go for completion and stick to main missions where the action is.
7/10

Nolra

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NOLR#680
Earthbound
9/10

Playing Mother 3 right now but i'm procrastinating to finish it, although it's really good so far

Last edited:

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Well I beat Spiderman (PS4). At least I think I beat it. I beat the main villain then it dropped me off in the open world without a very satisfying ending or credits. Maybe there's more. Anyway I have positive to mixed feelings about the game.

The good: Playing as Spiderman is superfun, exploring New York City as an open world is awesome, the graphics were great but not amazing and there's a ton of cool gagits and upgrades.

The bad: Spiderman is really fun when he works right but can be really frustrating when he doesn't, which is often. You can't websling without a wall for the webs to attach to and sometimes during a chase or timed challenge you're just a shade too far away and spiderman jumps off a building and faceplants. In tight corridors when you dodge you stick to walls right next to the thugs and they wail on you. There are a ton of quick time events and sometimes they fail to load. Othertimes it's confusing what you need to do and you just have to fail and hope you do better next time. Like many open world games it gets extremely repetitive. There are a ton of things to do but 70% of them are beating up groups of thugs. Spiderman has a rich rouge's gallery but you barely see any boss fights. It's all thug combat. And a lot of the side missions are boring stuff like (no exaggeration) connecting circuits, pulling barrels out of the bay, jumping through smog clouds, chasing pigeons, and so on.

The game's fun but it would have been a lot more fun if you were doing cooler things like fighting Spiderman villains more. It's best to not go for completion and stick to main missions where the action is.
7/10
Yeah there's more of the main story after Mr. Negative. After his fight it just gives you one of the downtimes to go do side missions or something.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I finished Fire Emblem: Three Houses Twice.

9.5/10

While it is not perfect, this might be the game that I have enjoyed the most on the Switch. I love the characters, story, combat and even the monastery activities at times. I made a huge effort to make sure none of my units would fall in battle. I enjoyed the game so much, I decided to play as Byleth in Smash after taking a break from Smash for over a year and she has become one of my mains.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kirby's Dream Land 2

Am starting to go through my backlog of Kirby games and this was first on the list. It's certainly impressive considering it's on the same hardware as the original, but I feel it falls short in a lot of other areas. While it uses copy abilities from Adventure, they feel more limited in use, or outright gimmicky depending on the Animal Friend you're using. Kirby himself can't run or slide like in Adventure, so controlling him feels a lot closer to the original game, including in terms of overall physics.

The biggest issue is just plain bad level design. The first 3 worlds aren't too bad, and there are amusing level gimmicks here and there. If you just play the game as solo Kirby, and aren't hunting down the Rainbow Drops for the Best Ending, it comes off as a weaker version of Adventure with more aggressive and awkward enemy placement; World 7 has an auto-scroll maze that gives no hints as to the right path and is instant death.

The Animal Friends become a hindrance as the game goes on. Coo is easily the best as he gives you more air control. Rick, I'm not sure what exactly he adds aside from Copy Ability gimmicks. Kine helps with the abundance of water gimmicks, but controls like a worse version of the SMB3 Frog suit (which doesn't help that Kine is required to gain most of the Rainbow Drops). Rick and Kine feel massively out of place and introduce the concept of blind leaps of faith to Kirby on top of all of that.

The Rainbow Drops are generally obnoxious to obtain, to the extent that most of my playtime was me trying to obtain two of them in particular:

World 4 - Beat a mandatory mini-boss, take Kine with Burning Kirby across a fast auto-scroll platform section with instant death traps, navigate a tight spike filled corridor to the top, drop down the middle and destroy the Ice Blocks, DON'T destroy the extra Ice Blocks that block a Health/1-Up or you can't get back up, drop down the middle again into the water, DISCARD the Burning ability and suck up the blocks in the middle of the room, TWICE, and quickly reabsorb the Burning ability before it disappears/don't accidentally destroy it or lose Kine, use Kine to move pass the fast-moving water to a room with the drop behind Ice Blocks,

World 6 - Take Kine from another level and complete the entry section that requires you discard your current ability, enter the next area and ride wind gusts over a bottomless pit, take a blind jump and land on a secret platform in the middle, enter the room and use Kine to push against the fast moving water on the left, fight the mini-boss for the Spark ability, repeat the wind gust/blind jump section again and go right this time against the fast moving water, beat another mini-boss WITHOUT taking their ability but rescue Rick, take Rick with the Spark ability into the next room and destroy the Spark Blocks to rescue Coo, take Coo into the next area and move right against the gusty wind to another room, beat another mini-boss for the Cutter ability, exit the room and go left this time with the tailwind, dodging Gordos to enter another room with the drop behind Cutter Blocks,

You mess up on any of these steps or die/lose your Animal Friend, and you have to re-do the entire level over again or backtrack to another level. World 7's Rainbow Drop is a 5-part maze where you obtain/discard abilities. If you mess up, you have to restart again, but it's somehow less egregious than the other worlds.

It's the first non-Sakurai Kirby platformer, and I feel it shows. Not that Sakurai is perfect, as much as I LOVE Adventure, but this is a game where I don't think the director understood the appeal of Copy Abilities, or how to implement them in a way that augments Kirby's natural abilities instead of hindering them.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Persona 3 Portable (played on Switch)

I'd say it's roughly on par with Persona 4, so a great RPG. (I didn't 100% complete the game, though; the bonus bosses seemed like they'd be insanely difficult) You could tell that the developers didn't quite have the social links down - on the plus side, there's plenty of time to complete all of them (though roughly four - Ryoji, Aigis, Mitsuru, and Shinjiro - have extremely tight time limits), but on the minus side, they have no functional purpose beyond experience points for your fusions. (which is enough to get them roughly five levels higher, but it's not as useful as later games, especially Persona 5)

The game took me roughly 70 hours to beat, so there's plenty to keep you occupied, and with a handful of exceptions (one of which I had to go out of my way to do), the difficulty never felt frustrating or unfair. (though it helps that I'd played Persona 5 and 4 before this, so I was aware of the series' conventions)

I played through the game as the female protagonist, because the male protagonist's playthrough had a few flaws in my eyes. For starters, you can't have social links with the male party members when playing as the male protagonist, which seems really weird. Also, when you're playing as the male protagonist, all of the female social links (at least, for the women around your character's age) automatically turn romantic, whereas you have a choice with the female protagonist. Otherwise, the two playthroughs should be nearly identical, but those two points were a deal breaker for me.

Much like in Persona 4, the party members were great, though I found most of the side characters to not be as interesting. (there were a few exceptions, though) The villains weren't as memorable as the other two Persona games that I've played, though. My only problem with the party members is that Fuuka's voice is weirdly monotone.

People complain about the gameplay downgrade from Persona 3 FES to Persona 3 Portable (exploring the real world becomes like navigating a menu), but I didn't mind it - the visual novel playstyle helped to set it apart from the other two Persona games that I've played, and it felt like it made exploration go by quicker. (Tartarus is the same as the original)

All in all, I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of RPGs. I've been playing through the Persona series backwards up to this point, though I doubt I'll go back to Persona 2 and 1. I'm going to aim for a shorter game next; I've been playing a lot of RPGs, and they're understandably very time-consuming to beat.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kirby's Dream Land 3

An improvement over the previous game in just about every way, especially in terms of level design. I can agree with the sentiment that having to play each level in a specific way to reach the true final boss is annoying, but to the game's credit, nothing is overbearing or requires backtracking (except for one specific Heart that only takes 10 seconds of going back to the first level). You will still probably want a guide, but everything is generally given to you right in the level itself and many levels follow a pattern (every 1st level involves Flowers, every 3rd level is a mini-game, every 5th level involves beating the stage with a specific friend, etc.).

The only real annoying Hearts are the pattern mini-games that offer no forgiveness if you make a mistake (have to get 3 correct in a row). You mess up once, you restart the stage from the beginning. The final mini-game Heart involves a listening for a specific Sound Effect, so good luck if you're deaf/hard of hearing. Thank goodness for video cameras.

The Animal Friends are handled much much better here. Default Kirby is still the best IMO, but none of them are intrusive as they were in the previous game, nor do they conflict with the overall level design. I still kind of wish that Kirby's copy abilities were more useful like in the Sakurai titles, but I don't think the game was specifically balanced around them either so it's more of a nitpick than anything. The physics feel borrowed from the GB titles unfortunately, but Kirby can run/slide again like in Adventure so there's that at least.

Still a step below the Sakurai titles IMO, but a much easier recommendation than Dream Land 2. I have no idea if the co-op feature makes the game better or worse.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Spiderman (PS4)

7/10
An update to this. I found out that wasn't the ending so I played through until the credits. It did get a bit better although the pacing is weird. About 2/3rds through the game they shift to a new villain. They did bring in more baddies from Spiderman's rouge gallery and that helped but my issues with the game remain the same: it's extremely repetitive. 70% of the game is beating up groups of thugs, 20% is stealth sections and the rest is minigames or quick time events. TBH I was getting tired of it well before it ended. Also the controls could have been better thought out; there are challenges where you need to be extremely fast and precise but spiderman's slinging webs just isn't built for it. Still, the game had some very fun fast paced action and playing as Spiderman can be super fun. I'm bumping up my rating to 7.5. Not great but fun if you like Spiderman.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
A while ago I beat Judgment for the first time. I’d say when it comes to Yakuza games, this is better than say 3, 4 or 5 but doesn’t quite reach the emotional highs of other entries. That doesn’t really matter though as it’s a great game anyways. The start is quite slow and I found myself thinking I wouldn’t enjoy it until later on when more characters get introduced and their stories get told, is when I realized that’s the main hook of the game, even over the mystery in a way. Because the mystery is great, don’t get me wrong, and I love murder mysteries in fiction, but I just found myself more drawn to the characters and not super invested in the mystery like I would be in, say, an Ace Attorney game.

Combat is a mixed bag, the dragon engine can make it really frustrating at times and you’ll often get cheap hits in on you, but it can also make combat way too easy at times as opponents are just stuck in your combo. It isn’t too hard to just take away a whole health bar from a boss with one combo.There’s the mortal wounds system too, which yeah, just doesn’t work here and I don’t think I need to explain why. I think what they were trying to do can be done well, it has in something like Metal Gear Solid 3, but here it’s just annoying. If you can get past that though, the flow state combat puts you through was still super fun.

The side activities didn’t engage me quite as much as earlier titles (seriously RGG studio stop cutting pool and bowling) but were still great even if I didn’t care much for drone racing or the weird dice thing, but substories were pretty engaging if a little long. A few of them have tailing missions which makes a side quest drag on way too long than it needs to. Overall, great game which I would absolutely reccomend. In a lot of areas it is inferior to the mainline Yakuza games but I think it makes up for it with the characters in the story. Also I played the dub lmao. It’s not as bad as people say.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (played through PS3 collection)

It's similar to the first one, though it didn't hook me quite as much when playing it. (I took an extended break in the middle of it, whereas I played most of the first game straight through) It's a solid platformer/third person shooter with some decent comedy, though the game felt rushed in places (the game's ending felt like they ran out of budget by the time of the final boss, and the final cutscene just abruptly stops) and untested in others (some of the enemies hit really quickly and eat through your health as a result).

It had a good variety of weapons, and I upgraded most of them, though the upgrading process seems a little unclear, and some weapons are WAY too expensive (even by the end of the game, 100 thousand bolts is a lot of money, and there are multiple weapons that cost that much, plus a suit of armour that costs 1 million bolts, a weapon that costs another million bolts, and a second weapon that costs slightly more than that).

One low point for me are the bosses - most of them (at least from what I can recall) are damage sponges, resulting in boss battles that can feel repetitive and grindy. Then there's the final boss, whose attacks kill you instantly if they hit, but the attacks are slow and telegraphed, and the boss doesn't change up its strategy with each phase. (the only difference is that more enemies appear)

It's still a good game, but it felt like the development team had an unexpected success on their hands with the first game, the higher-ups at Sony wanted a sequel by Christmas of the next year, and they had to rush through the ending in order to get the game out on time.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I finished Hitman (2016) and Hitman 2 on PC recently. While there was a lot of post-game content that I could have gotten into (elusive targets that remix the levels, Escalations that gradually increase in difficulty), I played until the credits rolled for both games.

I had a lot of fun with Hitman 2016, and bought both sequels as soon as I could. It took a bit of time for me to get into the groove of the first game, and there were times that I messed up, but I went from relatively boring ways of assassinating targets like guns and neck snaps to disguising as a drummer so I could do surprisingly well in a band audition and kill a target in a poetic fashion. (He became a target for shoving someone out of a hotel balcony, so he was shoved out of a hotel balcony)

The sequel took everything that I enjoyed about the previous game and improved on it, displaying a great balance of seriousness and humour. For me, the highlights were the Mumbai level, where I blew one target off of a roof with a giant fan and caused a train to crash through the hideout of another (it took three tries to get the timing down for that one), and the suburban level where Agent 47 can disguise as a realtor and use the full extent of his assassin training to figure out how normal people use homes. (He's not very good at it - every single sentence sounds like a thinly veiled threat)

Both games are excellent stealth/puzzle games (there are shooting elements as well, but it's difficult to get away with killing targets by shooting them), and I'm looking forward to playing the third one. As an added bonus, owning the previous games unlocks their missions in the latest one (so owning Hitman 1 unlocks those campaigns in Hitman 2, and owning both of those games unlocks their levels/missions in Hitman 3) or you can get the earlier missions as DLC, which means that Hitman 3 can basically cover the entire trilogy. (At least it saves room on my computer)
Holy **** those games are hard. Congrats on beating them. I got to the snow level and gave up in Hitman 2.
I beat House of the Dead remake. I rate it a 5/10. It really appealed to my tastes but it's a bad game that wasn't meant to be beat. It has a normal flow until the final boss. I like how it doesn't take itself seriously. Love the bad acting (I wouldn't have bought it if it were serious).

Top Bottom