• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rate My Moveset!" :: Moveset Critique Thread

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I was thinking 99%.
This.

Only like NP Ape Focus Blasts, and with a very reasonably small amount of prior damage (even just SR+1 Spikes Layer), NP P-Z Hyperbeams can break Blissey, only ones outside of Ubers that can do this IIRC.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
This.

Only like NP Ape Focus Blasts, and with a very reasonably small amount of prior damage (even just SR+1 Spikes Layer), NP P-Z Hyperbeams can break Blissey, only ones outside of Ubers that can do this IIRC.
SpecsLuke after SR.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
only STAB special fighting attacks (basically either infernape or lucario) and a focus blast from gengar scare blissey in OU play

who the hell runs NP porygon-z with hyper beam?

ss118

Smash Master
SpecsLuke actually can't 2HKO sp. defensive Blissey with Aura Sphere. That's why I always go:

Lucario @ Choice Specs
Inner Focus: Timid
4 HP, 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack
Aura Sphere
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball/ Dark Pulse
Vacuum Wave

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
With Blissey being such a popular wall I'm surprised more people don't run physical counters. Hell, with 0 Atk EVs and still running the Specs, Close Combat hits Blissey for more than Aura Sphere. If you're feeling extra silly, you could redirect 96 EVs into Atk, run Focus Punch, and guaranteed OHKO Blissey after a Stealth Rock (provided she chooses to Wish or Thunder Wave instead of hit you with a Flamethrower or something... guess you're ****ed if she runs Substitute, as well.).

Or you could try the more suicidal route and run Naive/Hasty Choice Specs and 100% Blissey with Focus Punch on 0 Atk EVs, or 28 Atk EVs plus Fist Plate/Expert Belt to OHKO after Stealth Rock with Close Combat... hell, instead of having to predict when Specs'd, you could Aura Sphere with the Fist Plate/Expert Belt for supering whatever you needed to kill anyway, and if the opponent swaps into Blissey to soak the hit instead you can easily take out its remaining life with a Close Combat, 0 EVs and even running Atk-detrimental natures like Timid.

On the other hand, if you really need Specs, I'd probably just pick something else to run a physical set to run through Blissey rather than put your hopes on a 70 accuracy attack to 2HKO her.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
With Blissey and other walls being such a pain in the ass I'm surprised more things don't run Pain Split like this:

Gengar @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Timid/Levitate

Shadow Ball
Substitute
Pain Split
HP Fighting/Focus Blast/HP Fire

Or this:

Starmie @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Timid/Natural Cure

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam/Thunder Wave/Toxic/Substitute
Pain Split

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Starmie had Recover, which trumps Pain Split for anything besides Blissey.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
It's my trend to post bad movesets for every pokemon, so here's another good bad set:

Zapdos @ Leftovers

252 HP/216 Spe/40 SpAtk
Timid/Pressure

Charge Beam
HP Ice/Heat Wave
Roost
Baton Pass

y/n?

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Heat Wave only really stops Magnezone and Luke.

HP Ice stops every Dragon, Gliscor, and all other flyers.

HP Ice is a much better choice.

I like that set, besides from the fact that I hate BP.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I actually like that set, simply because I'm a fan of boosting sweepers having Baton Pass as an out to get out of bad situations.

D

Deleted member

Zapdos @ Choice Scarf
Timid, Pressure
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Thunderbolt
Heatwave
Hidden Power (Ice 70)
U-turn

needs more win. amazing lead.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
The thing that sucks is SR weak, so it can't really come in and out that many times without Rapid Spin.

Wait mow got unbanned?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
What the **** it's ****ing Mow

Looks like an interesting set. To be honest, any lead with bulk or speed and U-Turn is really good.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Zapdos @ Choice Scarf
Timid, Pressure
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Thunderbolt
Heatwave
Hidden Power (Ice 70)
U-turn

needs more win. amazing lead.
This is actually really annoying to deal with as a lead.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I'm still working on the EVs, but here it is anyway:

Gallade@ Iron Ball
Trick
Earthquake
Close Combat
Shadow Sneak/Will-o-wisp

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Why not just use Choice Specs or something? Tricking that onto a wall would be more devastating than Iron Ball, unless there's a specific purpose for it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think it's supposed to be an anti-lead, assuming that's the same set we were talking about earlier.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I guess, I mean, **** Gallade, seriously. Trying to get him to do anything is a pain in the ***. He needs an ability that lets him have 12 move slots, then I could make something with him. I give up on him.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Gallade @ Choice Scarf / Iron Ball
Steadfast / Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch
~ Leaf Blade
~ Trick
~ Shadow Sneak
~ Taunt
~ Destiny Bond
~ Psycho Cut
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen

Yeah, I think that would work out better.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I have done something very stupid and am going to pretend to justify it in a serious manner. I would appreciate it if you humor me, as I already know this set is far from optimal.

Kyogre @ Choice Band
Drizzle/Adamant
216 HP/252 Atk/40 Spe
-Waterfall
-Avalanche
-Earthquake
-Return

Everybody knows what a monstrous special attacker Kyogre is in Ubers. Because of this, nearly every team has a counter for it that is specially defensive. So the natural course of action is to run a physical set that (in theory) nobody will be prepared for. In most cases this is nothing more than a gimmick, but Kyogre's attack stat is quite decent at base 100 which can make this set at least a small surprise. One of the main goals of this set is to get rid of some of Kyogre's counters, specifically Lati@s, Blissey, and Dialga, hence the use of Avalanche as an ice attack and Earthquake as a ground attack. This Kyogre wants to let the opponent hit him first to activate Avalanche, so there are just barely enough speed EVs on him to outspeed non-Scarf Dialga, who will generally wreck you if given the chance. The rest are poured into HP. Thunder will almost always OHKO though, but this is also a problem for regular Kyogre so it's not too much of an issue imo.

A quick rundown of threats:

Kyogre - Hard. They can hit you with Thunder quite easily, and even Lefties Kyogre can 2HKO you with it. If an aggressive build switches in on Earthquake or Return and you have full health, you can 2HKO them, but you're left with about 30% health or less and trapped in a move that is resisted or doesn't hit most of the metagame. The best thing you can do against it is switch out.

Dialga - Easy. As I mentioned before, this Kyogre was designed to handle Dialga with Earthquake, and it does so fairly well. You can 2HKO Expert Belt Dialga with Earthquake although you would only be left with about 15% health. The matchup is much more favorable against Leftovers Dialga, with Earthquake 2HKOing even if he gets a Bulk Up in.

Groudon - Easy in rain, Hard in sun. As with most Groudon vs Kyogre matchups, it depends on the weather. In the rain, he's your *****. Even if he outspeeds you, a 252/252 Adamant Earthquake will not OHKO you provided you didn't step on some rocks on your way in. In the sun, it becomes more in his favor. You can still beat supporting Groudons fairly easily with Avalanche, but sweeping Groudons will give you a lot more trouble.

Rayquaza - Easy. Silly ***** your Air Lock does not harm me. Nothing he has will OHKO you unboosted, so sit tight and Avalanche. Even if he doesn't hit you first, it will still OHKO him easily.

Scizor - Easy. In rain, Waterfall will do a **** ton of damage to it, OHKOing after rocks. Outside of rain, Earthquake is a clean 2HKO. Scizor also can't really do anything to you. Superpower takes off the most amount of your health but can't 2HKO because of the attack drop. Bullet Punch doesn't do ****. Pursuit does 40% max if you're switching out and 30% max if you're not. The best thing Scizor can do is U-Turn out since it'll to 50% damage to you and switch to a counter. However, bu this point you're not dealing with Scizor anymore. Mission accomplished?

Jason Zimmerman - Even. Although Waterfall in rain can OHKO after rocks, his speed is just plain better than yours, making it hard for you to mount an assault if he comes in to revenge kill. On the plus side, he won't OHKO you with Thunder unless he has Choice Specs.

Palkia - Hard. You can only 2HKO him if he comes in on an Earthquake or Return. Otherwise, you're screwed. Palkia retains his identity as the perfect Kyogre counter for now. If only Kyogre had Dragon Claw...

Giratina-O - Easy. If he attacks, you OHKO with Avalanche after rocks. If he doesn't attack, he's a terrible player and you 2HKO with Avalanche. He has nothing that can OHKO you and 2HKOing you is unlikely due to how hard he's hit by Avalanche.

Darkrai - Very Hard. Darkrai just outspeeds you straight up, and unless he switches in on something there's nothing you can do. Brick Break is listed as an option to deal with him, because you can OHKO him with it after he sleeps something and takes a turn to boost. Even a +2 Dark Pulse will not OHKO, though it might after getting hit by rocks twice. This is probably the best counter to the set since there's no straight up answer for it.

Wobbuffet - Impossible. Nothing counters Wobbuffet. Although you might have a chance if they Encore you by mistake.

Blissey - Easy. They switch in on an attack, ggs.

Forretress - Easy. He's basically Scizor with no attacks.

Jirachi - Not sure. I don't really know what Ubers Jirachi runs. Iron Head isn't threatening and neither is U-Turn, so the most he can do to you is paralyze. Earthquake is a clean 2HKO no matter what. Waterfall 2HKOs in rain and 3HKOs out of rain.

Garchomp - Easy. See Salamence.

Lati@s - Easy. Keep in mind that this set was designed to deal with them. If they Grass Knot or Thunder, you'll survive and OHKO them with Avalanche. If they don't attack, you'll 2HKO them with Avalanche since it'll still do over 70% damage.

Lugia - Hard. The fact that it can threaten you with Toxic while simultaneously putting up a reflect and never boosting Avalanche really sucks. Lugia is the sole reason for having Rock Slide as an option on this set, although even that will come shore of 50% on this beast.

Shaymin-S - Even. If you survive Seed Flare, you'll kill it. However, Seed Flare will rarely not OHKO you after Stealth Rock.

I asked bugged Riddle about this set while I was making it and he had this to say.

riddleswf 5:46 pm
(5:46:42 PM): this set fails

And then he blocked me on AIM.

lolololol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Earthquake as a fire attack.
wat
Though the part about Earthquake countering Dialga is right.

Palkia - Hard. You can only 2HKO him if he comes in on an Earthquake or Return. Otherwise, you're screwed. Palkia retains his identity as the perfect Kyogre counter for now. If only Kyogre had Dragon Claw...
Incidentally, if he comes in on Rocks and an Avalanche, he's still guaranteed to get KO'd as long as he isn't a Specs'd version hitting you with Thunder after you've taken Rocks or a U-Turn or something.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I asked bugged Riddle about this set while I was making it and he had this to say.

riddleswf 5:46 pm
(5:46:42 PM): this set fails

And then he blocked me on AIM.

lolololol
What amazes me is that I'm pretty sure I've given him worse sets than that before. <.<

Granted, I always told him the set was terrible before I posted it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
hurp a derp I obv meant ground.

Incidentally, if he comes in on Rocks and an Avalanche, he's still guaranteed to get KO'd as long as he isn't a Specs'd version hitting you with Thunder after you've taken Rocks or a U-Turn or something.
That works too. My point is that if he's used as a revenge killer where he doesn't come in on you attacking, you're screwed.

Granted, I always told him the set was terrible before I posted it.
Oh, maybe that was it.

Also, it turns out he didn't block me on AIM because he's a scrub at that lol.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Hahaha

For those who don't know, I called a Specs Kyogre with Avalanche the Miley Cyrus Hannah Montana Best of Both Worlds Tour.

lolololol

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
I'd run surf or something over return so you can fake another set until you know what your opponent's Kyogre switch-in is.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Why not use specs kyogre other than catching a lati on the switch, Specs will pretty much deal with everything else on its own.

With that said...mixogre with waterfall? =D

Kyogre @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
252 Atk/252 Spatk/4 Spe
Mild / Drizzle

Waterfall
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunder

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'd run surf or something over return so you can fake another set until you know what your opponent's Kyogre switch-in is.
I thought about this only with Water Spout, but ultimately decided against it since Return is kind of a catch-all. Definitely a good option though.

With that said...mixogre with waterfall? =D
I was thinking more like MixOgre with Avalanche.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Since Latias is the "real" Kyogre counter, I think Avalanche is better.

Top Bottom