• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My Falcon Thread

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Can Falcon do the gentleman in this game like in Melee?
Yeah, but it leaves you at a negative frame advantage unless you continue onto Rapid Jabs. Rapid Jabs are okay and can rack up more damage than Jab cancel to grab sometimes, but they're also pretty punishable if the opponent DIs out of them correctly.

Funny that Falcon's Rapid Jabs are one of the few things in Brawl that he does better than he does in Melee.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Yeah, but it leaves you at a negative frame advantage unless you continue onto Rapid Jabs. Rapid Jabs are okay and can rack up more damage than Jab cancel to grab sometimes, but they're also pretty punishable if the opponent DIs out of them correctly.

Funny that Falcon's Rapid Jabs are one of the few things in Brawl that he does better than he does in Melee.
Congratulations! You win for recognizing what so few have in the past. Falcon HAS gotten some buffs since Melee, it's not all bad.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
So, then. Are you prepared for months of rigorous training? Not only will you be required to fight well, but you will be expected to plan well in theory. No Brawler can go completely blind into a match without a strategy or plan and expect to have an easy time.

i hav been down and under with CAPTAIN but not anymore i hav pros and cons on all characters and flaws in my game i will alway play it smart and sav the best for last every one kneeds some kind of push or motavation wish me luck fellow falcons.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
i hav been down and under with CAPTAIN but not anymore i hav pros and cons on all characters and flaws in my game i will alway play it smart and sav the best for last every one kneeds some kind of push or motavation wish me luck fellow falcons.
Every character has there ups and downs. Even Metaknight! Outside of Falcons learning curve and difficulties, you won't be disappointed.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Oh by the way, guys. We need to find someone to update (and KEEP it updated) this thread, if you PM :mad: he'll let you edit his post.

We need all the really old videos gone (except for maybe Rebaz's) and start getting new videos in.

Winnar

Smash Lord
If anyone pm's me a list of edits to make I will copy/paste them, it'll probably happen quickly I'm on SWF a lot

Or someone can make a new thread it's up to you guys.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
Every character has there ups and downs. Even Metaknight! Outside of Falcons learning curve and difficulties, you won't be disappointed.

i am not scared to lose but scared to win everybody at smashfest calls me crazy evn korn but im going to prove them wrong.this board will be noticed just wait and see.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
good news at gimers smash fest my cf beat kojins mk and some other players they where impressed by the improvement now he is my third main thznks to guys i hav to find the vids then i will post them

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Congrats for beating a MK! It depends on the guy's skill, but it's always hard when you're not using your (true) main!

Looking forward to seeing those vids, man.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Your play looks really solid, there are only a few things I might comment on.

- You know that when you do your up b to grab the ledge you keep all of the lag, right? As soon as you land you experience the landing lag you would normally get from landing after an up b. You keep it if you grab the ledge and stand up. The way to not experience it is to replace it with the landing lag of an aerial. I usually use uair, but nair and bair work pretty well too.

- Be patient with recovery. There have been a few times where you would have been safe just waiting a second longer and then inching your way back but instead you tried to jump over DK. Not a super great idea

- You are VERY spotdodge heavy. It's working against this guy, but it shouldn't. All he has to do is charge any of his smashes a little longer, hesitate for a quarter of a second, etc. and your spotdodges will put you in even more pain.

Those are my thoughts :) Overall very solid, you play a good hit and run/bait and switch game. Solid spacing, solid mindgames, very good :D

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Killua, you probably are the best canadian (amirite?) Falcon main I've ever seen! I LOVED that video! Great match!

About criticism, I can't really say much, I'd say you're a much better player than I am. So keep it up, and follow Winnar's advice.

@Xyro:

You 3 stocked a Pkmn Trainer, hahaha nice.

Well, I think you have room for improvement, I can't say exactly where though. You probably should use your tilts more often, and try using Uair for DI, instead of the knee (fair).

Winnar

Smash Lord
For DI I wouldn't say uair is more useful than knee, maybe slightly.

If you want better advice you should show us a vid where you don't wreck your opponent.

Also I'd say your tilt game is pretty good, I saw you use ftilt well a few times, I don't see that too often. I like ftilt

Also also good PT is hard to fight as falcon :( (maybe not the one xyro played but w/e) Squirtle is so small

Winnar

Smash Lord
the main thing you need to cancel momentum is for the aerial to end quickly so you can fast fall to cancel your momentum

knee doesn't have a significantly longer amount of lag than knee, so it's not a bad choice, just not the optimum

PS Ivysaur has some decent stuff on falcon, and if rock smash didn't have charizard dragging it down then that would be a harder matchup

but squirtle feels like one of falcon's worst matchups :( Or at least one of the hardest ones

Winnar

Smash Lord
Very solid Acedude

The main thing I would say is...

You know that when you do your up b to grab the ledge you keep all of the lag, right? As soon as you land you experience the landing lag you would normally get from landing after an up b. You keep it if you grab the ledge and stand up. The way to not experience it is to replace it with the landing lag of an aerial. I usually use uair, but nair and bair work pretty well too.
at 0:41 you could have punished the quick draw probably if you had landed with an up air. Just keep in mind whenever you up b to the ledge that you need to land with an aerial. Uair and nair are virtually lagless, bair if spaced properly is safe on block.

Otherwise some very interesting mixups and very solid play in general. :D

edit - lol very smart falcon punch

The other thing I notice now is that you can be faster in your combos? Nair combos into nair or uair at low percents. You know this. Now just be confident about it and go for it (see 2:01, you ended up nairing again but I think the point is still valid)

Also not a big deal but at 3:05 if you had up b'd away from the ledge you would have grabbed him and probably killed him. Not a huge deal but it's something I like doing on yoshi's story because it works (flub knee to up b)

Also nice tech

Also you could have kneed right afterward instead of uaired. Or baired. Or nipple daired. Again not a huge deal but every little bit helps?

It's all really little stuff, very solid Falcon :D

ps when did this become winnar critique my falcon thread?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
3:31

Wow, ace. I just kept saying "OMG!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! OOOH MY GODDDDD!!!!!" That was amazing.

Your Falcon is way better than mine (it bloody looks like it!). And after that teching, I really REALLY don't have nothing on you. Jolly good, sir!

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I never could have guessed he could win. That DI was sick!

But that's Ally for you. He's just good at Brawl in general.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
can this thread also be used as a rate my falcon thread?

Top Bottom