• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Did the trollface give it away?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think we're looking at the want score the wrong way if your writing it comparing to other characters you'd rather have in first. I think the want score should be determined by if this character getting in didn't effect whether any other character go it.

D

Deleted member

Either way, 2.5.

There are more I'd like to see, and even if they can't get in, Balloon Fighter is a meh to me. He gets in, great. He doesn't get in, oh well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In that case, I guess I can move the want score up to a 1.9. Not more than that, though. I really don't find him as interesting as other retros, or characters in general.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Want: 4

Likelihood: 3

Like everyone has been saying already he's been previously neglected by Sakurai, but the fact that more retro characters are going to be seen now Balloon Fighter might have another shot.

Sonic Prediction: 4.85

Nominations: :pichu: x3 Toon Zelda x2

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Balloon Fighter:
Want- 0.5
Likelihood- 1

I feel like people are giving him a little too much credit.
Anyways, Balloon Fighter has already been rejected by Sakurai two times, so there's no point in giving him another chance.

Prediction for SANIC- 4.75

Nominations
Snake x5

D

Deleted member

He's only been "rejected" once.
Pit was a bit of a popular request, especially in the West. That's why he got in.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Anyways, Balloon Fighter has already been rejected by Sakurai two times, so there's no point in giving him another chance.
I love how "he didn't get in" is now synonymous with "was rejected." By that same logic, wouldn't every character not in the series have been "rejected" at least 3 times by now?

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Balloon Fighter:
Want- 0.5
Likelihood- 1

I feel like people are giving him a little too much credit.

Prediction for SANIC- 4.75

Nominations
Snake x5
..Two times? He was only brought up once. Not looking at him for brawl doesn't mean he was "rejected". With Brawl it seemed Pit was Chosen from the very beginning, as if Sakurai already had a preference for him. Does not mean BF was rejected.

Plus, people aren't giving him too much credit. If anything, his chances are underestimated.

EDIT: Oh snap I got Ninja'd lol

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For Balloon Fighter, his likelihood is a 1.5 from my perspective. While he would make a decent retro rep, there are probably some better playable retro options out there to consider.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Balloon Fighter?

Want = 2.5
Likehood = 3

I really like the NES game Balloon Fight. My want for Balloon Fighter went up when I finally got to see the Balloon Fight attraction in Nintendo Land because it gave me some new ideas for how Balloon Fighter could be like in Smash. I still prefer Tingle but Balloon Fighter is a decent choice.

I think Balloon Fighter has a better chance of getting in Smash mainly because of Nintendo Land. That, in addition to more exposure to the public as of late such as WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Tingle's Balloon Fight, and 3DS Ambassador Program. Casual gamers are going to be familar with Balloon Fighter should he ever show up in Smash. The only thing holding Balloon Fighter back is if Sakurai still thinks he's useless without balloons.

Nominations = Tingle, King Hippo, Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth, Impa

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Want: 2.5
I'm neutral with him

Likelihood: He has a chance, but a small one due to competition with more retro characters. so 2.

Nominations: Sheik x5
Prediction for Sonic: 4.37

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Balloon Fighter
Likely: 2.5

Predictions for Sonic: 4.87 (Cause there is always one guy)
Bandana Dee, Meta Knight, Pokemon Trainer, Meowth, and Victini

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I like Balloon Fighter. Him and Bubbles were characters whose trophies I saw and Melee and was like those characters would be cool. I like all the retro characters though.

Likeliness: 2.5

I think he's possible because, while they haven't outright revived the series with a true sequel, Balloon Fight is a franchise that Nintendo has given some recognition too.

I would like to see any of Mach Rider, Takamaru or Balloon Fighter in Smash 4. Balloon Fighter would have the most interesting moveset of those though probably.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Want: 1, not a big fan of his game
Likelyhood: 2: Not a popular pic or otherwise major retro title.

Nominate: Lucina x5

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He is my most wanted retro character.

Likelihood: 1.5
Yes, Sakurai couldn't see him as feasible before, but that doesn't mean he's outright closed the door on Balloon Fighter like some people think. It's been over a decade since then, it's very possible Sakurai has come up with a way to make BF work to his liking. However, there's always the chance that for some reason he still can't think of giving BF a pump. Also, I believe that every other retro characters' chances pales in comparison to Takamaru this time, however characters like Mach Rider or Balloon Fighter still always have the outside chance at inclusion over him.

Nomz:
x3 Lip
x2 Dillon

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Balloon Fighter is a interesting idea for a character but would be hard to implement. This was one of the reasons why Sakurai passed over Balloon Fighter. However, as Olimar showed in Brawl, Smash can have a character that has a dependency on a gimmick. What made me interested in the character was the idea that, in order to be played, has to pump up his balloon which are popped throughout the match. While I am not a huge fan of the character, I am not opposed to him. Plus, his revival in Nintendoland may be a indication that Nintendo has not forgotten him. However, Takamaru seems to be the most likely Retro character to appear and Mach Rider seems to hold the popular vote as the 2nd most likely retro character. I think Balloon Fighter has a decent chance in making an appearance. Being ruled out by Sakurai back in Melee doesn't mean he won't be playable in Smash 4. Much like how Pit didn't make it in SSB64. The technology to implement him wasn't there.

For BF;

Likeliness: 2.8

Sonic's Prediction: 3.2 (I don't think he is a lock actually)

Noms:

M. Bison x5

D

Deleted member

I'd like to change my Want vote to 3, as I now want him a little more now that I have seen gameplay of Balloon Fight.

Genericmartini

Smash Cadet
I have no qualms against Balloon Fighter, personal I think he could have the most innovative moveset and would show Sakurai's originality which we all know and love.

Likelihood: 2.3
I think he's in the realm of possibility if Sakurai still has the same mindset he did back in Melee. Now with an even higher quality of system and his desire to get a few retro characters in I think he still has a shot. A big thing I think hindering him back, ironically, is his moveset which could require a huge chunk of work to not be game breaking nor would be difficult to use. In which Sakurai just scraps him after that. But ultimately with all these new characters coming and alot of other retro characters still in the pool his chances get lower and with the moveset dilemma Sakurai has to want to him a helluva alot to actually get him the game.

Nominations:
Adam Malkovich x3
Travis Touchdown x2

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Want: 3/5
Likelyhood : 0/5

Sakurai said that Baloon Fighter would be useless if his baloons popped, therefore he wouldn't be a playable character. And despite what they COULD do with him, I think this handicap will prevent him from making it this time yet again. Maybe next time?

Impa x 5

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Dude. The decision about Balloon Fighter was literally made about Melee's roster.. Melee came out in 2001. That means it was made almost 12 years ago. (If you include development time). Do you guys still agree with decisions you made 12 years ago?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I don't think the length of time that has passed is the main problem with the arguments of those against Balloon Fighter (although it does play a part). Rather, it's the fact that the comment made about Balloon Fighter is such a stupid, half-witted, off-hand remark that people seem to believe was some sort of deep detailed analysis on Balloon Fighter's character. These people think that Sakurai had contemplated the thought for endless nights before coming to the conclusion that the Balloon Fighter is a completely and totally unfeasible character that will never ever EVER be playable or even considered... EVER.

That's stupid (not to mention hypocritical if you say this and you are a Ridley supporter).

Not only was the comment made over a decade ago, but it lacked any major degree of thought to be taken completely seriously. In fact, most of those "decisions" seem like a joke to me. I mean really:

The Almighty Sakurai said:
-Urban Champion (“there’s not much you could do with him”)
-Bubbles (from Clu Clu Land) (“she (?) doesn’t really know how to fight”)
-Excitebike (“you’d have to install ramps on all the levels for him to be playable”)
"She doesn't really know how to fight?" Really? How can anyone actually take these comments seriously? These comments could have also been made in order to justify the Ice Climber's appearance rather than theirs'. I mean, the Ice Climbers might be a little easier to work with than most of these characters, and these could just be the (very stupid) reasons to pick the Ice Climbers over the other four... not to completely reject them for eternity or anything, like many people believe.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the length of time that has passed is the main problem with the arguments of those against Balloon Fighter (although it does play a part). Rather, it's the fact that the comment made about Balloon Fighter is such a stupid, half-witted, off-hand remark that people seem to believe was some sort6 of deep detailed analysis on Balloon Fighter's character. These people think that Sakurai had contemplated the thought for endless nights before coming to the conclusion that the Balloon Fighter is a completely and totally unfeasible character that will never ever EVER be playable or even considered... EVER.

That's stupid (not to mention hypocritical if you say this and you are a Ridley supporter).

Not only was the comment made over a decade ago, but it lacked any major degree of thought to be taken completely seriously. In fact, most of those "decisions" seem like a joke to me. I mean really:

"She doesn't really know how to fight?" Really? How can anyone actually take these comments seriously? These comments could have also been made in order to justify the Ice Climber's appearance rather than theirs'. I mean, the Ice Climbers might be a little easier to work with than most of these characters, and these could just be the (very stupid) reasons to pick the Ice Climbers over the other four... not to completely reject them for eternity or anything, like many people believe.
... my hero.....

jigglover

Smash Lord
I don't think the length of time that has passed is the main problem with the arguments of those against Balloon Fighter (although it does play a part). Rather, it's the fact that the comment made about Balloon Fighter is such a stupid, half-witted, off-hand remark that people seem to believe was some sort of deep detailed analysis on Balloon Fighter's character. These people think that Sakurai had contemplated the thought for endless nights before coming to the conclusion that the Balloon Fighter is a completely and totally unfeasible character that will never ever EVER be playable or even considered... EVER.

I could kiss you!

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman

Even though Sakurai's arguments for not adding certain characters may be a bit weak, we have to take in consideration it is him who decides everything, and we must listen to what he says.

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man has shown fighting skills in the Pac-Man World games. Try again.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Remember though that anyone can be made to fight. It's just that certain franchises don't go well with the fighting environment.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I know this was answered but every time i see this argument i die a little inside because of how terrible and stupid it is. (no offense Jigglover)
:laugh: Don't worry, the only game I've ever played with pac-man in it is pac-man, and from what I've researched he hasn't fought in other games he's been in. Which ones did he fight in, by the way?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
:laugh: Don't worry, the only game I've ever played with pac-man in it is pac-man, and from what I've researched he hasn't fought in other games he's been in. Which ones did he fight in, by the way?
Pac-Man World 1, 2, & 3 (punching, ground pound, pseudo spin dash also, and he also had a lightning bolt ability)

He had a slingshot in a game also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom