• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranting on Smash

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Link to original post: [drupal=3909]Ranting on Smash[/drupal]

This post has nothing to do with character choices, stages, music, etc. I’m talking solely about the gameplay design of Smash here. However, what I am to discuss affects all the above except music for reasons I shouldn’t have to delve into.

Back when Brawl came out in 2008, I loved the game. I loved the many characters, stages, music, etc., and I even wanted to compete in tournaments. I loved the game enough to make two AMVs with it and had ideas for fanfiction that never came to fruition (probably a good thing). However, over time, I got bored with the game. I could hardly play any of the veteran characters because they felt like awkward versions of themselves like with Fox’s abnormal drop speed, Peach’s horrid second jump, Ness being real floaty, and Samus in general. I only enjoyed the game playing the newcomers. By September or October of 2008, I stopped playing. It was a chore to just turn on the Wii to play it.

It was at this time that my “enlightenment” was being prepared. Sometime after I stopped playing Brawl, I was on a forum that had a link to a trailer for the upcoming Street Fighter IV that featured all the characters, and when I watched the trailer, I was sold on buying this game.
This was when my “enlightenment” began. Like anyone else, I was a scrub at the game, but I finally found my character and favorite playstyle (annoying, aggressive, and fast), something I didn’t really get to realize with my time in Smash.

Enough of “What’s past is prologue.” Once I joined SRK and tried out different fighting games like BlazBlue, King of Fighters, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and Guilty Gear (Marvel’s sprites are just too jarring for me to play), I got to play Brawl again at a small tournament at my college. I had seen people say they hated Brawl, and after trying other fighters, I could see why. Now, the point of this post finally begins.

Unstable Design

Again, after trying out these different fighters (to various levels) and also reading up some stuff from Sirlin, I realized that Smash has absolutely no preemptive balance fixes. I understand that the point of the design was to be simple, but it might be too simple for its own good.

One of the first things I noticed in these fighters that was not present in Smash was tech grabs. For those of you that don’t know, a tech grab is when two people try to grab at the same time. This can also be used defensively like when you think your opponent is going to grab you. Had this been in Super Smash Bros., chain grabs would have NEVER been an issue.

Another thing I noticed was there was an effort to handle infinites in these games (can’t say for sure on KOF, though 2k2 is supposed to be pretty balanced). Again, these are nonexistent in Smash. Street Fighter and BlazBlue both feature a mechanic known as damage scaling (I think Marvel 3 has this as well). What this does is the sequential attacks are scaled based on their position in the combo stack and what you’re comboing from, and this lets loops exist as well (ie. El Fuerte’s RSF loop is an infinite, but it becomes impractical after a certain point). Personally, I prefer this over stale moves , but I do understand the purpose behind stale moves, I just don’t think it works in the long run. Also, damage scaling in Brawl probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

I don’t remember if Guilty Gear has damage scaling, but it does have something similar called gravity scaling. Basically, this mechanic prevented infinite juggles by setting a scalar on the combo’d character. Eventually, the scaling would become so great that repeating a loop after a certain point becomes impossible. And finally, Marvel 3 will have a hitstun scalar as well. This and damage scaling are probably the only ones that could apply to Smash without breaking it (as aerial loops might be broken in Smash).

While, I’d like to see some changes in the Smash combat system (supers and revolver actions come to mind), damage and hitstun scaling and tech grabs would likely allow for a more solid game. The next thing I want to go into is learning curves.

Guide Dang It

For a series designed as a fighter with a lower entry barrier, it does a good job of keeping some things unknown or pointlessly difficult.

For example, Melee had two jump buttons. Instead of asking us to time how long we held the jump button down, why not make the two buttons Short Jump and High Jump (though FG terminologies would likely conflict)? To me, this is a pointless technical barrier. Then there’s the landing lag from aerials. In my opinion, the landing lag should be the same no matter what. Three frames is probably a good choice. The point of L-Canceling, if I recall correctly, was to allow you to pull your shield up quicker. Just remove the lag and balance accordingly and problem solved. Aside from these two issues, I’m okay with the mechanics in Smash.

In my time looking at other fighters, I was happy to see that Street Fighter IV (and Super), BlazBlue Continuum Shift, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 all feature something along the lines of tutorial modes. BlazBlue is the only one that has a true tutorial though. Anyway, what these three feature is a challenge mode. For SFIV and BBCS, these have you trying out the specials and doing combos with any character. While not perfect (such as giving you some awesome but impractical combos), it gives you an idea as to how the character is played. I bet everyone would have loved if you had an idea how the characters played before settling on a main, but the closest you have in Smash is messing around in training mode.

It would also be nice to know the properties of different attacks. For the longest time, I never knew that Marth’s Sword Dance was basically a Rekka, or that you could aim Link’s Boomerang in different directions. And finally, I still don’t quite understand DI aside from that it’s basically air oki mixups for the attacker.

I had nothing else to do so I decided to write this rant up on the fly. And just to make clear, I want Smash to retain its identity as an unorthodox fighter, but taking things from other places wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Tell me what you think.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I pretty much agree with this.

Which is probably also why I don't play Smash anymore.

Also, another thing to keep in mind: games with good defense mechanics make for good or at least, decent balance, which is something Smash lacks in general.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I intend to reply more fully to this thread later tonight, but I want to say right now that this is a great thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the discussion develops
(read: I hope the morons don't get it locked before I get home)

Dam it Lythium beat me :mad:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Good read but L-canceling allows you to eliminate half of a moves lag while in 64 it removes all of it. I understand some parts of where your trying get at though otherwise good read.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I think his point is that there's no landing lag period in other fighters, and if Smash is going to insist on having landing lag on aerials, they should at least make it a uniform amount of lag instead of some moves having more than others.

To me, this is a pointless technical barrier. Then there’s the landing lag from aerials. In my opinion, the landing lag should be the same no matter what. Three frames is probably a good choice. The point of L-Canceling, if I recall correctly, was to allow you to pull your shield up quicker. Just remove the lag and balance accordingly and problem solved. Aside from these two issues, I’m okay with the mechanics in Smash..

(Taken from an archive of the official Smash Bros site. I can't remember where to find a link to the page)

There is some point to having manual l canceling, it's just that it's really limited and it's impossibly situational

Let's say A Falco is about to dair a character in shield. When that character is in shield, you can move your shield around. If you move it high when the Falco trys to dair you, you cause hitlag to occur earlier. This changes the timing window for l canceling and if your opponent misses his l cancel, you have an increased window of opportunity for out of shield options

Or let's say a Zelda is trying to toe someone's shield. If Zelda misses an l cancel and a tall character tries to grab her out of shield, he'll miss a grab

That's pretty much the only benefits of manual l canceling[/unneeded correcting]

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Gamegenie
I'm well aware of the current usage of L-Canceling, but I was simply mentioning the original intent.

@Jam
I'm not saying to do this because other fighters do it, but rather that I think uniform landing lag would be the best option.

@Zant
As you mentioned, it's pretty much situational to NOT L-Cancel.

Geist

Smash Master
This was well written, I agree with a lot of these points. Tech grabs is one thing that I've always missed in smash.

I only have to slightly disagree with your ideas about infinites and damage scaling in smash though. I'll quickly explain why.
Everyone should know about walls in traditional 2D fighters, something that for the most part, is absent in smash (the walls that do exist function differently, and in some cases, stages are banned because of their presence, but that's irrelevant). Many loops or infinites are made possible because of these walls, so mechanics that help prevent them from becoming OP'd are implemented. Those fewer loops and infinites that function without walls are made possible because of the lack of DI in traditional fighters.
So basically, I believe that DI in smash functions similarly to anti-infinite mechanics in other fighters. A lot of combos are impossible if your opponent implements proper DI.
Which kinda brings me to my next point, I'm not sure damage scaling is necessary in smash for the same reason. You won't commonly see a combo with a large enough amount of moves in it for it to be effective, I've seen death combos in melee that were only 4-5 hits long. Add the existance of early-death gimps, etc, and the absence of damage scaling seems less and less of an issue.
Just my two cents. Personally I would completely embrace the idea of smash becoming more similar to tradition fighters if it retained its unique identities.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For damage scaling, it would depend on how the game is made. If the game had revolver actions, cancelable specials, etc., then yeah, it'd be a good idea. As Smash is, it really wouldn't be all that necessary.

As I mentioned in the OP, DI just seems like air oki to me. An oki that allows you to save yourself from death. It's really not that far off from a 50/50 guess for your opponent on wakeup on the ground. technically speaking, with DI, there aren't that many combos in the Smash series.

D

Deleted member

I think his point is that there's no landing lag period in other fighters, and if Smash is going to insist on having landing lag on aerials, they should at least make it a uniform amount of lag instead of some moves having more than others.
I strongly disagree.
Smash is a heavily aerial based game a should be balanced as such.
let's compare to SFIV for a minute, as game that also features a fair amount of aerial normals. each of the moves vary only slightly light P/K being a little weaker and a little faster etc., but do the actual properties vary? rarely. almost all moves roughly have the same knockback on hit and such, and iirc all blockstun is the same regardless of the attack blocked. so would there be a reason to give some aerial normals a lot of landing lag? not really. It would also hinder the more combo oriented gameplay of SFIV (compared to smash).
Now let's look at smash. both between characters and between each character's moves, aerials vary a LOT in startup, range, damage, knockback, knockback scaling (which obv. isn't even present in SFIV), cooldown and hitlag. Also, with SHFF(L )ing, most of the cast is able to pull off their aerials both very low to the ground (SFIV only had 3 jumps: up, diag.forward and diag. backward).
if you unify the landing lag, either some moves will get f***ing broken (Ganon Uair, melee falco Dair, Falcon Knee, DDD Bair etc.), or you will have to redo pretty much the entire aerial system.
onel ast bit of comparison, in SFIV you can usually follow up (read: combo) any aerial with a ground move. why don't they just spam aerials? as mentioned SF only has 3 jumps and they're kinda easy to see coming and most chars have anti-aerial specials (SHORYUKEN) amd they can also just correctly block, where in smash that would result in shieldlock/-poke, or losing shield health.

D

Deleted member

People have fought wars and slaughtered millions over a book.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I strongly disagree.
Smash is a heavily aerial based game a should be balanced as such.
let's compare to SFIV for a minute, as game that also features a fair amount of aerial normals. each of the moves vary only slightly light P/K being a little weaker and a little faster etc., but do the actual properties vary? rarely. almost all moves roughly have the same knockback on hit and such, and iirc all blockstun is the same regardless of the attack blocked. so would there be a reason to give some aerial normals a lot of landing lag? not really. It would also hinder the more combo oriented gameplay of SFIV (compared to smash).
Do you even play Street Fighter, or other fighters in general? Every thing you just said there is wrong. The properties do indeed vary. Some moves are used for juggling, stop air grabs, counter anti-airs, etc. Not every attack has the same knockback whether it be on hit or block. And go look at the frame data and tell me all blockstun is the same.

Also, with SHFF(L )ing, most of the cast is able to pull off their aerials both very low to the ground (SFIV only had 3 jumps: up, diag.forward and diag. backward).
King of Fighters can do this to. It's part of that games fundamental mixup game.

if you unify the landing lag, either some moves will get f***ing broken (Ganon Uair, melee falco Dair, Falcon Knee, DDD Bair etc.), or you will have to redo pretty much the entire aerial system.
No duh you'd have to change the system, it's called balancing. And for aerials being broken, this is one reason why I'm annoyed at Smash being two buttoned. Everything's forced to be a certain thing (over exaggeration here)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Aite here's my 2 cents I guess (AKA a huge block of text)

Unstable Design

Again, after trying out these different fighters (to various levels) and also reading up some stuff from Sirlin, I realized that Smash has absolutely no preemptive balance fixes. I understand that the point of the design was to be simple, but it might be too simple for its own good.
Agreed. Especially with brawl though, sakurai really didn't want the game to be competitive. He wanted it to be a party game. So balance patches probably weren't really on his mind (although honestly, there aren't many things on the wii at all that have balance patches. I don't personally know of any at least).

But yes, smash would definitely benefit from having a few balance patches.

One of the first things I noticed in these fighters that was not present in Smash was tech grabs. For those of you that don’t know, a tech grab is when two people try to grab at the same time. This can also be used defensively like when you think your opponent is going to grab you. Had this been in Super Smash Bros., chain grabs would have NEVER been an issue.
Having tech grabs in any of the smash games is a good idea too IMO. It would definitely add something. Personally I think that anything that adds strategy or difficulty to a game is good (as long as it's not too difficult). It makes watching the top players at tournaments much more enjoyable because of the skill gap that's created by all of the various techniques in the game. Chain grabs can definitely lead to some gimpy **** haha

Another thing I noticed was there was an effort to handle infinites in these games (damage scaling). Personally, I prefer this over stale moves , but I do understand the purpose behind stale moves, I just don’t think it works in the long run. Also, damage scaling in Brawl probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway.
I don't think damage scaling would be beneficial in brawl or melee. Smash 64 could have potentially benefited from it I guess because it's much harder to get out of combos in that game (assuming you're playing someone who knows what they're doing). I haven't played 64 almost at all though, and truthfully 64 is probably fine without damage scaling too.

Why don't you think that stale moves works though? Because I don't really think that it was implemented to replace damage scaling if that's what you're implying. Damage scaling (to me) seems like it was introduced solely to encourage the use of several moves as opposed to just a few. In other words it just makes it so that spamming one or two moves isn't beneficial because over time they become weaker. It gives some the player some incentive to use several different attacks and keeps each character's better attacks from being too overpowered by making them less effective the more they're used.

Guide Dang It

For a series designed as a fighter with a lower entry barrier, it does a good job of keeping some things unknown or pointlessly difficult.

For example, Melee had two jump buttons. Instead of asking us to time how long we held the jump button down, why not make the two buttons Short Jump and High Jump (though FG terminologies would likely conflict)? To me, this is a pointless technical barrier. Then there’s the landing lag from aerials. In my opinion, the landing lag should be the same no matter what. Three frames is probably a good choice. The point of L-Canceling, if I recall correctly, was to allow you to pull your shield up quicker. Just remove the lag and balance accordingly and problem solved. Aside from these two issues, I’m okay with the mechanics in Smash.
Making 2 different jump buttons for different heights could work I guess, but it also takes away from some of the skill in the game. The same applies for L-canceling. Yeah, you could make every aerial have 3 frames of lag when landing but that would make so many things easier to do. That would certainly make it more friendly to people trying to pick up the game, but it would also cut down the skill gap. I guess it's like saying 'Why make a combo have a 1 frame link in SSF4?' Why not make it 5 frames? I'm absolutely terrible at Street Fighter and if it was easier for me to combo in general I'd probably be more interested in playing it because I wouldn't be as bad. Why though? Because then it's harder to do the combo. People who practice it can do it, but even then they definitely can't do it 100% of the time. When you're watching a game between pros and someone pulls off something like that you appreciate it more because you know it's difficult. Combos in either game wouldn't be as entertaining to watch if they were easier to pull off because you would see them much more often.

(Stuff about adding a Training mode) +

It would also be nice to know the properties of different attacks. For the longest time, I never knew that Marth’s Sword Dance was basically a Rekka, or that you could aim Link’s Boomerang in different directions. And finally, I still don’t quite understand DI aside from that it’s basically air oki mixups for the attacker.
A training mode would definitely be nice. All any of the smash games really need is a mode where you can choose a character and it will have you practice doing different moves and explain a little bit about them. It would certainly make the game more user friendly.

DI is really important in the smash games though. As you'll see in smash 64 where there wasn't much DI, it was hard to get out of a combo. In melee however, DI has much more influence and can help a player to get out of a combo or survive longer if they know how to DI properly. If there was no DI at all, in many cases one hit could lead to a string of attacks/combos that would be inescapable until high percents. Take marth's chaingrab on fox for example. Fox can DI at different angles during each upthrow and unless the marth player reacts and repositions himself properly for the next grab, the fox will get out of the chaingrab. Another example would apply to any character that's comboing another character. The player getting comboed can DI each hit so that the attacking player has to adjust or let the other character escape. Maybe those aren't great examples, but that's just what came to mind. Basically though, DI adds a lot of depth to the game. Without it marth would be able to just upthrow fox over and over and fox wouldn't be able to do anything at all until he started getting to higher percents. Combos would be way easier to pull off too because the knockback direction of each move would be the same every time. And I won't really go into it more than that, but yeah it's important lol.

L-canceling and DI definitely probably should've been addressed somewhere in the game (as a secret unlockable tutorial about them if nothing else). Several other things could've used some explaining too. Mmmmmm, yeah would've been nice to have a little more info about some of that stuff haha. It took me forever to learn the special properties of each character's attacks when I started playing several years ago.

I'm writing this at 3:30am so hopefully it makes sense :p

Ace55

Smash Lord
DI is a better game mechanic than any traditional fighter 'technique' I've ever seen. I don't get why other 'real' fighters haven't stolen it. It's simple, it's intuitive and it allows ******** amounts of interaction.

Not very clearly explained. What happens and what are the conditions? If marth is cg'ing falco, can falco press grab during hitstun and break the grab. In melee that actually sounds cool (don't know/care about brawl), encouraging mixups in CGs.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@GKInfinity
By preemptive balance fixes, I was referring to mechanics that act as safeguards that would prevent from the game being too broken. I was not referring to patches or updated rereleases.

Actually, damage scaling exists so as to reduce the overall damage in a combo, and therefore make infinites either impossible, or it would take several iterations to K.O. with it. Stale moves works as an anti-spamming mechanic.

For the 2 jumps and L-Canceling.... Just to be clear with everyone here, I look at the strategic value and then look at the technical value, and then finally risk vs reward when it comes to a mechanic or attack (i.e. a 720 for a grab super that does a lot of damage vs a one button poke that does light damage). When it comes to skill gap, I'm a strong believer of "It's not what you got, but how you use it.". It's more important to me whether you know when to use short hops properly over doing them. That being said, a minor timing thing seems unnecessary. On the other hand, I value technical skill mostly because with more technical skill, you have more options available to you.

But yeah, I understand the pain when it comes to doing 1 frame links. However, more often than not, if you can pull these, they prove to be very rewarding.

@Ace55
Not every fighter has a strong aerial emphasis like Smash does.

I understand the depth of DI, it's just that it sounds almost like, in Smash context and as I've said before, a tech chase. Basically, imagine if you could tech in the air and you could air dash to the left, right, or in place just like on the ground. That's what it sounds like to me, not a combo by traditional standards, but I suppose it'd still be a combo. It'd be a "prediction combo".

A tech grab is where if two players grab at the same time, the two are pushed back from each other, resulting in a stalemate. I know some games, though, have a small window when you can tech once you're grabbed as well.

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
what sakurai wanted was a game that wasn't like traditional fighters and for one reason not for a party game -_- but for money because if you have smash just like all "traditional fighter games" then you losse sales and a fan base because your just one out of millions of fighters. smash is so unique in it's play that really who knows what it is most hard core gamers say it's a party game nintendo say it's a fighting game you can go as far to say it's a platform game. really only the fans make the techniques sakurai most likely never known about AT in smash or does he? who knows and mostly who cares. the whole thing is that sakurai is never going to make it like a "traditional fighter" NEVER

D

Deleted member

Do you even play Street Fighter, or other fighters in general? Every thing you just said there is wrong. The properties do indeed vary. Some moves are used for juggling, stop air grabs, counter anti-airs, etc. Not every attack has the same knockback whether it be on hit or block. And go look at the frame data and tell me all blockstun is the same.

King of Fighters can do this to. It's part of that games fundamental mixup game.

No duh you'd have to change the system, it's called balancing. And for aerials being broken, this is one reason why I'm annoyed at Smash being two buttoned. Everything's forced to be a certain thing (over exaggeration here)
gonna be fair here, I haven't played SF in a looong time. Besides that I play Tekken on a very basic level.
So I proceeded to look into the frame data of block stun of aerial normals in SFIV, and as you said, it varied. however, that was only between the moves of a character.

besides 2 exceptions, all blockstun was this:
LP/LK: 8 frames
MP/MK: 11 frames
HP/HK: 15 frames

the exceptions:
blanka's hard moves have 17 frames of blockstun
Ryu's striaght jumped HP has 17 frames of blockstun.

Kind of bland isn't it?

Also, I was making a comparison to SF, not KoF.

you can just go "duh" there, but there is a line between balancing and redesigning the system. To pull in a (bad) analogy: Balanced brawl is balancing the game, B+/P:M is redesigning the system.
The 2 button (although the directional input adds a lot) is a design decision. SF forces most stuff into a Light/medium/heavy format and Tekken forces stuff into one of the 4 limbs.
In terms of how natural it feels to me (imo), Smash>SF

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You make good points, but you are aware that short hops have existed in Many platformers? It may be important to keep the platforming feel. Since smash is a Platformer Fighter. In other words, it has platforming elements. It may be in Smash as a form of Grandfather Clause.

Also, The Wiimote + Nunchuk combination only has 1 jump button.

Having one button being a Short Hop and another being full jump sounds like a good experiment.
I'm gonna ask someone to program these in later(there's quite a bit going on in and out of the Projects and forums as of now).

Also, tech grabs would make more sense that port priority.

In my time looking at other fighters, I was happy to see that Street Fighter IV (and Super), BlazBlue Continuum Shift, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 all feature something along the lines of tutorial modes. BlazBlue is the only one that has a true tutorial though. Anyway, what these three feature is a challenge mode. For SFIV and BBCS, these have you trying out the specials and doing combos with any character. While not perfect (such as giving you some awesome but impractical combos), it gives you an idea as to how the character is played. I bet everyone would have loved if you had an idea how the characters played before settling on a main, but the closest you have in Smash is messing around in training mode.

I am actually glad that for a game trying to come off as simple in design, it holds quite a lot of depth to it. I am not sure if other games had this, but you have people jumping on the idea to test out "new mechanics". Or new things people might not have known about. The more you knew about the game, the better you could be from the other players.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wow, it seems like a lot of the Smash players would absolutely adore the mix-up characters in other fighters. Then again, that happened to me as well.

@Eternal Yoshi
Yeah, it makes sense, but I wouldn't say that platformers are as fast as a game like Smash. You have more time to prepare and/or you die so many times so you know its coming.

The Wiimote-Nunchaku setup I used had two jump buttons. I didn't really like the default setup for that control setup.

If you're going to go through with that experiment, let me know.

@Xeylode
You're right that knowing techniques help separate the good from the mediocre, but you have to draw the line somewhere as to what you think should be basic knowledge or not. IMO, you should be aware from the start the nature of Dancing Blade or that you can aim high or low for Link's Boomerang. It's good to find something really neat about a character, but it's no fun when it's something so basic that a basic tutorial could've told you.

JoyousOne

Smash Cadet
Marth's trophy in Melee tells you that Dancing Blade can be used in series.

Link's boomerang angle is mentioned in the SSBM manual.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=3909]

Unstable Design

When were chain grabs an issue? Chain grabs are basically just combos, but with grabs and throws instead of hits. If you look at the damage output, being chan grabbed from 0% to, say, 50% is not worse than being comboed from 0% to 50%.

Link to original post: [drupal=3909]Another thing I noticed was there was an effort to handle infinites in these games (can’t say for sure on KOF, though 2k2 is supposed to be pretty balanced). Again, these are nonexistent in Smash. Street Fighter and BlazBlue both feature a mechanic known as damage scaling (I think Marvel 3 has this as well). What this does is the sequential attacks are scaled based on their position in the combo stack and what you’re comboing from, and this lets loops exist as well (ie. El Fuerte’s RSF loop is an infinite, but it becomes impractical after a certain point). Personally, I prefer this over stale moves , but I do understand the purpose behind stale moves, I just don’t think it works in the long run. Also, damage scaling in Brawl probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway.
Infinites aren't really a problem in Melee. To my knowledge, the Ice Climbers are the only characters to have an infinite on every stage. You just can't do loops in Smash because knockback increases with the amount of damage taken.
Link to original post: [drupal=3909]Guide Dang It

I can live with the lack of a tutorial. If I want to learn more about a game, I join its community and read up on what advanced players have to say.
For instance, the tutorial in SSFIV is horrible. It just gives you a bunch of combos to practice without ever mentioning anything about link combos, chain combos or cancel combos or how they work. But guess what, the users on Shoryuken.com do. They also give ideas for more useful and applicable combos.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Chain grabs aren't that bad and can be escaped at low percentages in several cases, but they aren't fun to watch and if they were gone would the game be any worse? I don't think so

ICs can infinite a few different ways (wobbling and various grab related techniques like hand offs) but yeah, that's about it. Infinite's aren't a problem in melee. Brawl is slightly worse though as I recall

And a tutorial isn't necessary of course, but it also doesn't hurt to have one. It would be nice for beginners and there might be more people in the community (and the average skill level might be higher among beginners) if a good in game tutorial existed that detailed characters individual moves.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Why is it that Smash keeps being called a worse game in comparison to games it's absolutely not meant to be similar to?

Like seriously, standard competitive 2D fighters like SF and GG etc are NOT comparable. They were designed with a competitive mindframe, with the devs at least trying to keep the game balanced.

I really don't see how "Smash is not balanced" can even be a criticism, since well, Smash isn't meant to be balanced, isn't meant to be played competitively in a controlled environment with items removed and a shaved stage list. Smash is not a competitive fighter, was never meant to be one, and never will be one. It is an awesome party game where you get Nintendo all stars, a bunch of lulzy items, crazy stages, and bam, ****'s real fun.

Not to mention the amazing music and general fanservice in the game.

BUT OF COURSE IT'S BAD

CAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE GOOD COMBO MECHANICS OR OMG SOME TACTIX BE BROKEN.

Only if you play it in a doctored way that Sakurai tried his absolute hardest to eliminate. Stop comparing Smash as a competitive game, it's really not fair to the series. It's like everyone forgets how incredible the games really are because they're too busy arguing about something the game was never intended to be. Such a steaming pile of horse manure.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Nobody even think about starting the Play Melee combo.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Next person gets a 3 point shaq attaq.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why is it that Smash keeps being called a worse game in comparison to games it's absolutely not meant to be similar to?

Like seriously, standard competitive 2D fighters like SF and GG etc are NOT comparable. They were designed with a competitive mindframe, with the devs at least trying to keep the game balanced.

I really don't see how "Smash is not balanced" can even be a criticism, since well, Smash isn't meant to be balanced, isn't meant to be played competitively in a controlled environment with items removed and a shaved stage list. Smash is not a competitive fighter, was never meant to be one, and never will be one. It is an awesome party game where you get Nintendo all stars, a bunch of lulzy items, crazy stages, and bam, ****'s real fun.
I don't know about you, but I think it's irrelevant whether or not a game is balanced for competitive play or not. A game should be balanced period. And besides, you could always design something for competitive play, but no one ever plays it, and you can have something not designed for competitive play be played by a lot of people. Not only that, but multiplayer games are inherently competitive; there's no way to take competition out of a multiplayer game.

And for Smash being a party game, I can't even tell where Sakurai is going with the series sometimes. You've got stuff like DI and Perfect Shielding that most casual players are either unable to do (reactions and all that) or are unaware that those techniques (since not everyone looks in the manual and some aren't even there) exist. And then you've got a simplistic control scheme that most people can understand.

I do agree with Smash not being designed with a shaved stage list (although it wouldn't hurt to not make them so gimmicky or an option to remove the gimmicks), but it's rather clear that items were always an option.

@Jonas
What about Dedede's BS that was discovered a week before release? Of course, I hardly pay attention to the Brawl metagame so my info is probably out of date. And wouldn't you want more defensive options that don't involve camping/zoning? Not saying you want chain grabs still in, but your response suggests you're indifferent to chain grabs.

I already admitted that SSFIV's "tutorial" is far from perfect. At least it lets you see what the characters are capable of so you can decide on a character, though this can be difficult for some characters that are more strategic. Again, it's not a tutorial mode, but you get a feel for the character when you're in the Challenge Mode.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't know about you, but I think it's irrelevant whether or not a game is balanced for competitive play or not. A game should be balanced period. And besides, you could always design something for competitive play, but no one ever plays it, and you can have something not designed for competitive play be played by a lot of people. Not only that, but multiplayer games are inherently competitive; there's no way to take competition out of a multiplayer game.

And for Smash being a party game, I can't even tell where Sakurai is going with the series sometimes. You've got stuff like DI and Perfect Shielding that most casual players are either unable to do (reactions and all that) or are unaware that those techniques (since not everyone looks in the manual and some aren't even there) exist. And then you've got a simplistic control scheme that most people can understand.
The thins is, with all the items and the random insanity, the character matchups become pretty irrelevant. Because of this, balance doesn't really matter. The point of Sakurai making the game easy to pick up and putting in a couple of techs is that everyone can pick it up and feel comfortable playing, but he adds a skill curve so players can feel they've improved.

Just because a game isn't competitive in nature, doesn't mean you can't add skill factors.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
Right. And that justifies all ******** arguments.
lol pretty much

I agree that brawl wasn't meant to be played competitively, but kuma has every right to complain about this fact lol. What upsets me the most is why did Sakurai try to remove the competitiveness from smash? Did he make brawl for his fans or for himself? Because I feel that if you make a competitive game, anyone can play it, I played Halo 3 without it being competitive, it's all about how you play. But it's not a two way street, if you try playing a non competitive game competitively, then you run into some problems, he should have gave us what we wanted, a competitive smash, but he must have caved into nintendo's new (appeal to the masses) outlook and gave the big fu to the hardcore fans lol. It's all about that all mighty dollar

Top Bottom