• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranking moves in Characters (Round 21: Discussing Down-Special)

What will you like to discuss next?

• Jabs

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • Grabs

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Continue with Specials

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Ok so finally have final update for Neutral-Special list:

TL;DR:
:4diddy:
A -> B
:4robinm: B -> A
:4wiifit: B -> A
:4luigi: B -> A
:4kirby: A -> B
:4villager: A -> B
:4metaknight: C -> B
:4rob: C -> B
:4myfriends: C -> B
:4corrin: B -> C
:4ryu: B -> C
:rosalina: C -> D
:4feroy: C -> D
:4falcon: D -> F

Ok so with that done, we will move on to our second to last topic in Side-Special. Discuss and will have preliminary list up for tomorrow hopefully.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Wow a lot of stuff got switched around......why aren't Bowser and Charizard in B-rank though, granted on our explanations we never said whether they should stay where they are or be moved up or down but still...as for zard's side special it's considered one of the single worst specials. Extremely situational, easy to avoid, easy to shield, easy to counter, the reward when you actually connect with the move is laughable, it's only real use is the damage armor it gives as you're trying to horizontally recover, and depending on your position it's still countered by any smash or mid to high powered projectile (that's not going into it's range which, rather than being an asset, makes it way too easy to SD if you get an input wrong) this move is replaced almost instantly when the option is given. To me other than horizontal recovery it's only real use is punishing weak projectiles and getting kills as early as possible.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Corrin's is S (or at least A) for reasons that shouldn't need to be stated.
Robin's can go in B or A; it's a great move for walling, but is really laggy and goes at an awkward angle that lets you hit characters above you but also lets certain characters (like Little Mac) dash through and punish.
Sonic, Diddy, Cloud, and Bayo are probably in A or S. Maybe Marcina's too.

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
Yaaay it's every Olimar/Alph's favorite move! Well, aside from maybe fsmash

The hitbox is active frame 9 and it has a FAF of 25. Reds, blues, and yellows all do 1.1% per tic. It seems low at first, but it definitely builds up over time and other than that they provide nice distractions. Whites do a nice 3.7% per tic and purples slam into the opponent for 6%. These two are the stars here.

Latching a white on someone often forces a reaction out of them, whether it be throwing out an unsafe attack to shake them off, or retreating and giving up stage control to safely kill it. They travel the fastest and furthest out of any pikmin being able to cross almost the entirety of FD out of a short hop. Due to basically being made of paper though, it can be hard for them to deal more than one or two tics before dying. That said, whites make an amazing complement to Olimar's grab game. Latch one of them on someone at low percent then grab them and you can easily take them for a 40-60% ride.

Purples are far and away the best imo, though. They just do so much: help you approach, stop people from approaching you, cover you when you return to the stage... and edgeguard too, but that's only if you're really willing to throw your little buddy off a cliff. Low percent they can set up into a grab and mid percents a jab lock/tech chase.

Side b also has quite a few unique interactions with certain moves, depending on where the pikmin latches. Off the top my head...
  • It stuffs the neutral Bs of :4samus::4lucario::4wiifit::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4duckhunt: as soon as the projectile comes out. In Duck Hunt's case the can explodes in his face.
  • Prevents :4pikachu::4falcon: :4charizard::4luigi: and:4myfriends: 's side bs from moving anywhere as they instantly hit the pikmin
  • Halves the distance :4ness:'s PKT2 travels due to collision
Opponents can use the latched pikmin to their advantage by hitting them with a move and extending the amount of time their hitbox is out. This isn't really a weakness per se, but more of a double edged sword. Oli can take advantage of the extra lag the opponent will be in to punish them just as much as the opponent can take advantage of it to catch Oli off guard. With all that said, I think it belongs in A tier.

TL;DR
Olimar's side b is pretty good 9/10 would spam again

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
\ is probably D tier if I'm being blunt. It could be C-tier or in particular MUs it looks like a B-tier move when the reward is gracious, but it's always going to be a mix-up that could be outclassed by Shulk's other tools. It can defeat airdodge baits because the move starts up a tad slow, begins to fall at a steady rate, & eventually descends more more quickly as the move continues. \ can also overcome the following options quite well:
Other options include the back-side of a back-roll, every other ledge option, & recoveries that cannot snap easily.

Overall, yes the move does have frame 22 startup which is slow, but \ used from a standing position is active for 13 frames (22-32 is airtime hitbox, & 33-34 is the landing hibox lasting 2 frames) as well as destructive shield damage with Buster (36.89% shield damage in total) especially with the Landing hitbox. It loses to itself for having 40 frames of endlag once you land and the fact that Front Slash is so bad on-block (due to the move naturally having a 0.8x hitlag modifier & the damage being piss-poor) that even in Buster hitting with the long reach has the likelihood to be punished by a shield-drop dash grab. If you include both the up & downsides with the complete merit to the attack, I'd humbly agree with C or D-tier. Although, even without describing the things that can be done in different arts and such, this post is enough for me.

D

Deleted member

Back Slash is a very situational move, and I'd argue for how hard it is to hit its reward is rather lacking. The front/back hits have sourspots and overall the move is not anywhere near as power as you'd expect it to be, especially if you've played Xenoblade where it's one of the most lethal Physical Arts Shulk has in his arsenal.

It has use against airdodges, tech rolls, forward rolls, spotdodges and even some recoveries (:4cloud::4myfriends::4feroy::4littlemac:) as Masonomace Masonomace highlighted above but again, very situational and Shulk usually has equally threatening punishes to use instead.

I'll at least say, it's a better meme move than Falcon Punch.

E tier.

Routa

Smash Lord
I think that Gunner, Roy and Pac-Man would have deserved to be higher by 1 tier, but oh well...

Anyways to Side-Bs.

Swordspider's Side-B1 is... bad. It is frame 32 (oh dear Miisus why...) and the FAF is 95 (plz end him already). It does very small amount of damage when you consider how slow it is. Add to that it looses its hitbox half way through. The hitbox is okish, but still not great. And it puts you in a freefall after hitting a foe... Yeah...
Where should I use this? Recovery... And maybe hard ass read to get a kill. Even tho it has low damage it still has relatively good killpower. E tier easily.

Brawler's Side-B1 is good. It is basically Raptor Boost. It has good kill power (starts to kill at around 110%) and is a multihit. This is a good and bad thing. Good part is that it will catch people who spot dodge or drop shield too soon. Bad thing is that it is not that reliable in air. So only use it on ground. Also it is decent recovery move. C/B tier if you ask mii.

And Gunner? Once again he has the best move from the 3. Flame Pillar is amazing. One of the best (if not the best) 2 Frameing move. From a roll distance away from the ledge it will sweetspot the ledge and 2 frame people. The first hitbox goes a little below the ledge which makes it amazing 2 framing move. The hitbox stays active for a long time so using ledge getup is out of question along with ledge attack and ledge roll. It will also hit people who stay on the ledge too long. It is just amazing ledgeguarding option. Flame Pillar is not suggested to be used in neutral tho unless you are retreating. On stage use the grounded version. It has enough lag to get punished if whiffed so it is rather risky still. Flame Pillar stops grounded approach really well. It is just a good move. Easily B/A tier Side-B.

I might talk about the Bike later if no other Wario has talked about it till then.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Marth and Lucina's Dancing Blade are extremely good, but I don't know if I could call it S-tier. Maybe I am underrating the move (I used to think it was borderline overpowered when I didn't play Marcina, but now that move is just business as usual to me) but although it's good, I don't know how right it is to say it's one of the best in the game.
As a general rule of thumb: Lucina's DB racks up damage better and more consistently (you need to get atleast one tipper with Marth for it to deal as much damage as Lucie's, and you need atleast two to surpass it, but I rarely see that, and yes I watch a lot of Marth matches) while Marth's can KO slightly better due to the last tipper strike, however both of these differences are somewhat minimal and in the end, both moves are basically equally as good.

- DB Forward: Least damaging variant - 14% for Lucina (15% fresh), 13-15% for Marth (13-16% fresh) - though it's arguably the most versatile one and the best variant for KOing. Unstale, Lucina's final Forward hit KOs extremely well, being able to KO lightweights as soon as 80-90% if all hits connect and the move ends somewhat closer to the ledge. Marth's can KO slightly better due to the tipper, but sometimes it can be hard to get the final tipper on your opponent because you need to use different DB variants to account for DI/SDI, and non-tipper DB from Marth doesn't really KO very well aside from also making him get a deficit in damage.
- DB Up: More damaging than the last one - 15% for Lucina (16% fresh), 14-16% for Marth (14-17% fresh) - can sometimes be finnickier to land than DB Forward, but it sends your opponents at an awkward position that forces them to either jump, airdodge into the floor or dive against you with an attack, all of these options are pretty big gambles, of course. Also KOs very well for both characters: I got KOed as Mario once at 118% by tipper DB Up, and in general, if you send your opponent as high as you can with the previous strikes, you're never KOing anyone later than 125% with either character. It's also worth noting that DB Up is basically always better to finish true combos if they end with an opportunity to use DB, since it deals more damage and when finishing combos, it'll connect more consistently than Forward in this situation.
Basically, since the DB hits all count as different moves in the stale queue: what you could do is exclusively use only one of these moves for racking up damage, and then using the other one to attempt a KO, since with both characters, Staling your last hit will hurt your KO potential more than any other kill move in this game.
- DB Down: Most damaging variant by far - 20% for Lucina (21% fresh), 19-20% for Marth (21% fresh) - however this move is extremely situational. You can thank the Smash 4 devs for being such geniuses, but basically the 4 hits of the Down variant very rarely true combo into each other, meaning you almost always have a window to jump out of it, as small as it is. There is a very tight window in most characters where DB Down is guaranteed to strike all the way through, but this variant is never true on floaties. Unlike the other two variants, it's also never going to KO anybody (though if it KOed, DB Down doesn't even work for that long anyway). Looking at the positives, though: It's 20 free damage if you land it, and that is nothing to complain about. Some fully charged Smashes in this game don't deal as much damage as this, and also DB Down can be used to break shields. It happens occasionally, but don't count on it a whole lot.

I think it could be pretty high, just don't how how high.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Zard's flare blitz is a meme.

Tho to be fair it has its bunch of uses. Heavy armor + huge damage make it risky to edgeguard as long as you get the ledge snap, it allows zard to punish low damage projectiles and its decent as a techchase option.

Its also ok at trapping landings.

Its aerial endlag is shorter than its grounded air lag, in certain situations you can get away with flareblitzing to the opposite ledge and punishing their atemp to punish your endlag.

Flare blitz can be situationally comboed into at around 25-30% against fastfallers and heavies out of u-throw.

You can also potentially end shields with it provided some previous shield damage.

Thats about it really, don't hit shields unless you are sure you can break them. You'll get jab locked and murdered for touching a healthy shield with this move.

So around C/D, memes aside is nohwere near as bad to be on F tier.

I wish zard had dragon rush instead, the zero to death was dumb fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm confused why Gordos are in the same tier as Monkey Flip, Pikmin Pluck, Arcfire and Lloid Rocket. Just me though.

Also, Bowser Jr's side B is one of his best moves.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Gordos are super-underrated. There's a lot of situations where you can use them with litte risk involved. They're also not all in the same "tier", I'm just saying that those are generally good side Bs.

Also, Bowser Jr's side B is one of his best moves.
That doesn't make it any less mediocre.

:059:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Is jolt haymaker really that bad? For it's speed and power I feel like it deserves to be at least above meh.

DK's headbutt is super bad. Only decent use I can see for it is hitting someone sitting in shield on a platform or on the ground as a mixup. The meteor hit is pathetic as well.

Nah

Smash Champion
:4bayonetta: side B is easy S-tier and I hope I don't need to explain why

:4robinf: Arcfire is good in some ways but I'd have a hard time calling it better than B-rank given it's so terribly laggy and doesn't like to keep the opponent in it the whole time

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I think inhale is better than what we decided, but whatever.

Anyways, Kirby's side b should be just above whatever the lowest tier is. It's good as a shield break punish, consider it can kill between 10-40% without any rage at all. It's also decent against characters that don't snap to the ledge, since super armor on swing of full charge. Otherwise it's useless, IMO.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's Neutral B should noooot have gone into B tier.

Anyhow, his Side B: decent recovery move, okay anti-juggling mixup option, absolute garbo for attacking. Like seriously, not enough damage or hitstun to be worth it with that wind up and ending lag. The only time this thing ever kills is if somebody is trying to intercept his recovery and they screw up. Very early on in your stock you can get punished for successfully landing the move.

On the other hand, it has a very large height range where you can land with no landing lag and just slide away. Which makes it pretty hard to punish if you weren't intercepting it. And it can grab the ledge from a somewhat surprising distance under it. And they changed it from Brawl so if you are forced to swing in the air you can quickly Up B afterwards. But sadly you can't wait it out you pretty much have to start mashing Up B otherwise you go into free fall.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
:4ness: The infamous PK Fire- It starts on frame 20 so unless your simply not paying attention you shouldn't get in by this move in neutral. The great end lag also means your getting punished hard if they dodge it or shield it. In addition characters with fast jabs or quick specials like Fox's Jab or Marth's up b can use these moves while hit by PK Fire and knock Ness away or escape respectively. We all know that so I'll focus else where.

The move is great at catching bad landings, if you manage to snag them while they are still airborne it makes it much harder to SDI out giving Ness more follow ups. Don't escape or roll back you'll get grab combo'd to 40, Jump away and Ness can Fair string or Up Air to aerial of choice, try to jab through it and Ness can throw out another PK Fire. PK Fire-Fsmash is a brutal combo that will kill most characters around 80 near the ledge. If you confident in tech options it can be a solid tech chase tool since Ness is slow giving you time to catch up to them and grab/pivot grab Back Throw

Speaking of the ledge this move is great for stuffing horizontal recovery options. Fox Illusion, Ganondorf Flame Choke, Bayonetta's who fly near the ledge while side B'ing back to stage, etc. The constant pillars of fire while hold them in place letting you do just about anything to ledge guard them further and if forces them low after the duration of the move, below the ledge where you can set up a two frame Dsmash as well. Recoveries that don't snap without good spacing from below like Ike or Kirby are very susceptible to this move as it will drag them down as the pillar of fire falls. (Ness can literally keep throwing PK Fire at Ike as he tries to recover with his up B, it's pretty ridiculous)

PK Fire also has some tech. By using a rising PK Fire you can cancel all landing lag by using Dair cancel giving you a much safer PK Fire, you can also use PK Fire Jump by using PK Fire and double jumping at the exact same time you'll carry jump momentum in either direction and be able to advance or retreat while throwing a PK Fire out, this helps out Ness giving him a approach option or a solid defensive option that allows follow ups if it connects.

It's probably a B-C move it's got alot of utility

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Mega Man's Crash Bomb is C. It doesn't do anything on its own, but if it latches on someone, it can let you put some intense pressure on your opponent, or just let you get some good reads. And you can combo off its explosion if the last hit connects.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Bayo in S tier. Sure it's unsafe but the fact that it's one of the best combo starters on the ground and one of the best extenders in the air as well as a momentum shift either upwards or downwards should give it that spot. It can also recover, and it's late hitbox has fixed KB at a 90 degree angle so it can kill confirm very easily.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Drill Rush is well....underwhelming, to say the least. 24-frame start-up, 30 frames of landing lag (or 26, one of MK's specials has 26 instead of 30, not sure which, bad either way), causes helplessness--all for 10% damage. Though it gives the longest horizontal recovery out of his specials, the hitboxes are small, leaving MK surprisingly open to spikes when recovering with the move, though the ledge-collision hitbox is pretty big, and it can be tricky for an edge-guarder to tech a stage-spike.

Overall it's a bad move, but I think the fact that a losing game can be suddenly won through a missed tech is enough to prevent it from falling into F-tier. Most likely D-tier. It's only worth using rarely as a highly-risky bait in neutral, is impractical to use in strings if you're not Ito, and is outclassed by Shuttle Loop and to a lesser extent Dimensional Cape in terms of recovery.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I think the bottom tier of Side Bs will be generally be considered better than the bottom tier of neutral Bs which are totally inapplicable to serious, competitive play. But let's pick out some candidates

:4yoshi: Probably the most worthy of bottom tier. 32 startup and 39 endlag to exit the egg. Damage is 4-9% depending on current speed with no kill potential. One thing I always thought was cool was you could roll indefinitely on a ledge as long as you don't press forward, creating a constant hitbox there for the several seconds you can remain an egg. But I've got no bright ideas on how to use this move in Yoshi's gameplan. From the air, Yoshi drops like a rock and is not a hitbox, so it's not a sensible recovery or landing option. Coming out of the egg from the air does not put you in special fall, which I think is an upgrade from previous games but only allows you to return to the stage after rolling offstage on accident.

:4miisword:Airborne Assault is pretty bad. Similar to Pikachu and Luigi, there's strong and weak variants depending on a smash or normal input, as well as an ability to charge for more distance and damage. But unlike Pikachu and Luigi, the move puts you in special fall on miss or on hit. Allowing for some Jigglypuff Rollout-esque body blocking gimp potential when you see this being wound up offstage. I'm certain this move is still used for recovery since Swordfighter's air speed is awful on default proportioned miis, and his default Up B affords nearly no horizontal distance. The knockback is also not terrible, but blocking the move (and you will block the move) affords a huge punish opportunity as he suffers a lot of lag and bounces slightly forward to land right in your face with no crossup potential.

:4zelda:Gets a worse rap from Zelda players than I feel it deserves, but still a bad move. They still haven't taken away this moves initiation of special fall from the air, which is unfortunate as this would be a decent move to use when recovering to the stage otherwise. The inclusion of Phantom Slash also drops this move's personal utility as a zoning option. The hitbox is frustratingly smaller than the explosion implies, and I don't believe there is any additional active frames for opponents to run into, just a weak hit if you're caught on the outer rim of the explosion hitbox. The low 23-25 endlag makes this generally safe on block and at extreme ranges, just don't overshoot your target. The startup is 14 from the point you let go, enough time for people to just run past the danger and close the distance when they see Zelda wind this up.

:4dk: The air version's meteor hitbox is not only very weak (weaker than a late Zelda Dair), it requires a close sweetspot if you want it. Otherwise there's a 8% hit with almost no knockback. This is the same hit you will get when you use the move from the ground but the victim is currently airborne. It also preserves air momentum, so you can't do this anymore. With a buddy you can do this, but this thread only ranks based on the competitive Singles meta. The frame data stacks up poorly to smash attacks and Giant Punch, having more startup than all (excluding Fsmash), and more endlag than all as well. DK's high damage/knockback moveset gives him plenty of mileage from a bury move, and the added shield damage results in some surprise shield breaks if they blocked a move recently. So not as deserving of bottom as others here.

:4zss: 7-13% damage depending on how many hits connect, and no kill potential at reasonable percents. Pretty small reward for ZSS's slowest startup attack, and I'm sure most prefer neutral B for controlling horizontal space in the neutral. I see players use this as a way of covering ledge options, and I suppose it's alright for that. Only 11 active hit frames, but you're using it from far enough away that there's no risk. The low, vertical knockback doesn't send them back offstage however. There's also potential for connection issues starting at about 100%, as the multihits can knock the victim too far away for the much larger final hit to connect, but it's rare. As for tether recovery, the only difference in using Side B over Z-air to tether recover, is that ZSS will not drop a currently held item. Though you can also bypass the Z-air issue by using Airdodge plus Zair to not drop the item. So I'd rather not attribute ZSS's excellent tether recovery option to just this move, since it's only one way of initiating it. One nice aspect of Side B is a surprisingly low, 23 endlag. So unless you used it close enough to be shieldgrabbed, it's fairly safe on shield. I just don't think ZSS is hurting for more moves that are safe on block.

:4kirby:Being able to move slowly and jump during charge is integral, and the startup is 11 from a charged state. The full charged version being one of the strongest moves in the game for knockback is great for shieldbreak scenarios, but that's all the move has going for it. Super armor on the full charged swing is nice, but reaching this point takes longer than Ganondorf's neutral B, which wasn't suddenly made good with the addition of super armor. If you see Kirby winding up, just land any projectile to avoid the threat of the full charge. Whether or not this deserves bottom tier, it's reasonable to call this one of the worst side Bs overall, even with its excellent knockback stats on hit.

:4falcon:Startup is 4 upon reaching proximity to a target (to compare to Ike's and Swordfighter's 2). Notable for being able to kill in this game unlike previous entries, but still very dubious as a recovery option and easy to block. The 9% damage is enough to push most characters out of shield grab range (excluding tether grabs, or good standing grab ranges from Marth/Lucina/Bowser), but the endlag still makes a dash grab from the defender guaranteed, or a ~15 startup Smash or combo starter if they preferred. I find this strictly worse than Ike's, even with the good knockback. As Ike's serves more value as a tool than an attack.

:4miibrawl:Designed around Falcon's Raptor Boost, this move has the same activation window and 4 frame proximity startup. Like Falcon, the move enters special fall on hit or on whiff from the air. It's multihit nature makes it even worse for knocback, killing somewhat later than you can expect from Raptor Boost. Comparing to Raptor Boost's endlag from the ground, this version of the move has more endlag, while from the air on hit it has less. On whiff from the air, Brawler has 40 frames of landing lag while Falcon has just 23. For reasonable vertical kill potential, you need to land this high in the air, which is a niche potential Falcon doesn't have. Though I've seen the opponents fall out of the air version when this is aimed too high. I generally find this move overall a worse version than Falcon's as an attack, yet better as a recovery option as you bounce higher on hit from the air and travel faster than Falcon does. They ought to share a tier.

:4megaman:I find MM mains to largely overestimate the pressure exerted onto the victim of a crash bomber. Blocking the explosion will have you stuck in shield, yes, but the explosion being able to hurt Mega Man as well means dash grabbing them during the explosion requires strict timing. Furthermore, they don't have to block it, Dodge roll and air dodge more than suffice as the explosion remains at the detonation point instead of on the victim as they move. Most Counters can also be used as a way to get past the detonation with an unblockable, invulnerable attack. Crash Bomber's most immediate application for Mega Man is being one of few zoning tools he can use with a metal blade in hand. Though even then I would prefer initiating a leaf shield, another not so great move with more interesting mind games and setups that can't be used against you. Also, MM being stickied by the bomb when he grabs and throws an opponent is frankly annoying and shouldn't be part of the move's design in the first place.

I feel like these are the worst of the Side Bs, though perhaps not all bad enough to deserve the bottom tier. I'm just hoping that the bottom tier is at least three moves in order to best illustrate how bad something has to be in order to be there, rather than just sticking only Yoshi or only Zelda in bottom.

Edit: Oh, and :4shulk:should be up for consideration too. It would be better if more characters were in this game fighting you almost exclusively with their backs turned. Like DK, or Melee Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Back Slash is a very situational move, and I'd argue for how hard it is to hit its reward is rather lacking. The front/back hits have sourspots and overall the move is not anywhere near as power as you'd expect it to be, especially if you've played Xenoblade where it's one of the most lethal Physical Arts Shulk has in his arsenal.

It has use against airdodges, tech rolls, forward rolls, spotdodges and even some recoveries (:4cloud::4myfriends::4feroy::4littlemac:) as Masonomace Masonomace highlighted above but again, very situational and Shulk usually has equally threatening punishes to use instead.

I'll at least say, it's a better meme move than Falcon Punch.

E tier.
I wouldn't rank BS that low. The reason why \ wouldn't be that low simply comes from the difficulty that characters would find hard to change the direction they face. Like for example, Yoshi facing away is unique in comparison to the cast because his doublejump has a built-in turnaround ability which invalidates a back-side hit of a \. Most other characters don't have the option, but some do have a move that can turn themselves around such as a special move of sorts. However, there's a good amount of characters that have nothing except the Side or Up-special used to recover & that's why \ is not terrible. Although, you have characters like Marcina who can just Bair & instantly alleviate this problem.

It's great descending range that advances slightly, yet the notion that they'd be facing away during tumbling & drifting back is threatening enough to not mess with this move in that kind of Disadvantage. And you should definitely know that a Smash art \ will devastate any character's stock killing them in the ~75-85% range near ledge.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yaaay it's every Olimar/Alph's favorite move! Well, aside from maybe fsmash

The hitbox is active frame 9 and it has a FAF of 25. Reds, blues, and yellows all do 1.1% per tic. It seems low at first, but it definitely builds up over time and other than that they provide nice distractions. Whites do a nice 3.7% per tic and purples slam into the opponent for 6%. These two are the stars here.

Latching a white on someone often forces a reaction out of them, whether it be throwing out an unsafe attack to shake them off, or retreating and giving up stage control to safely kill it. They travel the fastest and furthest out of any pikmin being able to cross almost the entirety of FD out of a short hop. Due to basically being made of paper though, it can be hard for them to deal more than one or two tics before dying. That said, whites make an amazing complement to Olimar's grab game. Latch one of them on someone at low percent then grab them and you can easily take them for a 40-60% ride.

Purples are far and away the best imo, though. They just do so much: help you approach, stop people from approaching you, cover you when you return to the stage... and edgeguard too, but that's only if you're really willing to throw your little buddy off a cliff. Low percent they can set up into a grab and mid percents a jab lock/tech chase.

Side b also has quite a few unique interactions with certain moves, depending on where the pikmin latches. Off the top my head...
  • It stuffs the neutral Bs of :4samus::4lucario::4wiifit::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4duckhunt: as soon as the projectile comes out. In Duck Hunt's case the can explodes in his face.
  • Prevents :4pikachu::4falcon: :4charizard::4luigi: and:4myfriends: 's side bs from moving anywhere as they instantly hit the pikmin
  • Halves the distance :4ness:'s PKT2 travels due to collision
Opponents can use the latched pikmin to their advantage by hitting them with a move and extending the amount of time their hitbox is out. This isn't really a weakness per se, but more of a double edged sword. Oli can take advantage of the extra lag the opponent will be in to punish them just as much as the opponent can take advantage of it to catch Oli off guard. With all that said, I think it belongs in A tier.

TL;DR
Olimar's side b is pretty good 9/10 would spam again
I am fairly certain that Flare Blitz actually goes through Pikmin (I think they latch on to him mid travel) but I'd have to double check.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Bayo in S-tier, easily. Heel Slide is unsafe on shield but has some of the best reward on hit in the game, being her best combo starter outside of Dtilt. ABK is one of her primary combo tools and does an incredible job at punishing characters in the air. dABK is one of (and probably the main) reason why her disadvantage state is virtually non-existent. They also regenerate a use on hit and give her solid ways of mixing up her recovery.

Lucas is probably a solid B tier just for being a good and easy spacing tool. Marthcina and Roy are A tier at least for its speed and its capacity to punish effectively, combo and kill.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
:4megaman:I find MM mains to largely overestimate the pressure exerted onto the victim of a crash bomber. Blocking the explosion will have you stuck in shield, yes, but the explosion being able to hurt Mega Man as well means dash grabbing them during the explosion requires strict timing. Furthermore, they don't have to block it, Dodge roll and air dodge more than suffice as the explosion remains at the detonation point instead of on the victim as they move. Most Counters can also be used as a way to get past the detonation with an unblockable, invulnerable attack. Crash Bomber's most immediate application for Mega Man is being one of few zoning tools he can use with a metal blade in hand. Though even then I would prefer initiating a leaf shield, another not so great move with more interesting mind games and setups that can't be used against you. Also, MM being stickied by the bomb when he grabs and throws an opponent is frankly annoying and shouldn't be part of the move's design in the first place.
I aggree with the Low tier placement, but let me correct you here : you aren't using Crash Bomb because you want to put a lot of damage or kill because that's not what it does. You use it because it can net you reads.

You already tackled Mind Games, so I won't talk too much about it, but if you talk about Counters, remember that Leaf Shield triggers them too (which is why using it against Bayo is a bad idea). When a Crash Bomb gets sticked to you, you have to act, would it be dodging, rolling or shielding. Some characters can even run up to you and punish accordingly.
But the thing is, not all moves in :4megaman: 's toolkit are supposed to be useful in every single MU. And even then, an airdodge can usually be punished by an aerial, a roll in gets beaten by an USmash, a roll away gives away some space, Shielding (Before the explosion or not) can be punished with a FSmash / grab / USmash Shield Poke, Etc.

I would give a link to some Crash Bomb strats, but it wouldn't be useful here.

It isn't "good", I'll give you that, but it complements the basic toolkit Mega Man has nicely, and it has enough of a niche to be used in some situations.
...I'm not sure it deserves to be low tier, but given what it has to compete with, D-tier or at worst upper E-Tier is fine. It is fonctionnal, after all. And it isn't broken enough to end up with Yoshi's Side B.

Now that I said what I wanted, put Wario Bike in A / B tier. Waft extender, Recovery boost & Option coverage ? That's waaaaay too dope.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
:4samus: has a pretty bad side special. Super missiles are okay, but homing missiles really aren't. Super missiles do a nice 10% and move pretty fast, so if you're in a situation where you can trade projectiles with an opponent, it's worth it. They can force opponents to double jump instead of just landing after a combo. They do a decent amount of shield damage, enough that shielding a CS afterwards will break it. Super missiles actually combo into dash attack at low percents and fair a little higher, so the optimal shield punish at 0% is super missiles to dash attack to up airs. And super missiles are actually decent against slow characters like Ness or Ganon (although it's still relatively easy for these characters to power shield them). Also worth noting that super missiles combo into CS at a large percent range, but you have to fire the CS right after the side b and hope the side b hits, so it can often be a wasted CS charge if the super missile doesn't actually hit.

Homing missiles are a unique side special in that they induce heavy lag and do basically nothing else. Except of course the monstrous 5% on hit and no hitstun. The only good uses for this move are forcing air dodges on off stage opponents and jab locking oppoents on platform stages, which is very situational. Overall, her side special is probably a tier above the lowest because of super missiles being not awful.

:4zss: Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn The most important difference between tether and side b recoveries is that ZSS can tether the ledge while facing the opposite direction with side b. This greatly improves her recovery and how deep she can go for edge guards while staying safe. This means she is the only character that can run off stage and immediately side b tether the ledge --> bair and still cover buffered ledge options because she can act 3x faster than any other drop down ledge trump. This alone seriously boosts the move because Nairo and Marss get kills off this setup all the time. (actually, I know Samus and possibly the other tether characters can do a rar jump to instant tether and do the same thing ZSS does, but it's insanely hard to do, ZSS' instant side b tether takes no practice and that's why it's actually used).

Plasma whip sucks on stage, only Marss uses it occasionally in matchups like Rosalina and some swordies and that's probably just because Marss is completely committed to using her entire moveset.

As a reverse tether, it is definitely in C tier.

:4ness: if anyone wants to see good side b usage, there's S1, he uses all of the aerial side b options Envoy of Chaos Envoy of Chaos mentioned in his last paragraph to great effect.

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Well, looks like it's time to throw a couple side specials in the ring that no one else seems to have touched on yet. here goes nothing.

:4littlemac:: I'd probably make Jolt Haymaker solidly in C tier. It isn't great, but it certainly isn't terrible either.
Pros:
- Can be combo'd into by tilts
- Does good damage (14%)
- Has good knockback (33 BKB, 98 KBG)
- Has variable timing/range (active for six frames, starting anywhere between frame 9 and 30)
- Can be used to edgeguard against low recoveries or hit opponents on ledge while recovering.
- Gives partial intangibility
- Grounded version has long range, and moves about as fast as Little Mac's run without much startup.
- Goes over some projectiles (ex: PK fire, water shuriken)
- Can be used to hit enemies in the opposite direction at point-blank range
Cons:
- Telegraphed hard at long range
- Terrible range in the air (though still better than any other Little Mac aerial)
- Can be punished even on hit at low percents
- Dangerous to use near ledges (It is the FG Little Mac meme)
- In spite of no FAF frame data from Kurogane Hammer, it certainly has it's fair share, making it Very punishable on shield
Summary:
Jolt Haymaker is a move that has its uses in a variety of situations, from edgeguarding to recovery to punishing to ending combos, as well as the very occasional mixup. However, Little Mac players need to be VERY careful about when they pull this out, as it isn't hard to punish if used at the wrong time, and can be punished HARD. Also, while Little Mac does use this as a recovery move, that doesn't make it a good recovery move.

:4greninja:: I'm... not really sure where to put Shadow Sneak. I'm going to go with B to be conservative, but I could see people placing it higher than that.
Pros:
- Has average kill power and damage
- Provides intangibility frames during teleport to be used as a pseudo counter at short range.
- is a decent recovery move, slowing Greninja's fall speed and ending in a long range horizontal teleport that does not cause helpless falling afterwards (though there is quite a bit of end lag regardless)
- Can end in two different attacks, depending on direction Greninja is facing relative to his opponent upon reappearing
- Can be charged for greater range
- Distance indicator is a shadow, which is non-existent if aiming off-stage or on certain stages with foreground floor details / dark colored floors
- Can walk, turn around, and short-hop while charging
- Can be used to SSHC (Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel), letting Greninja cancel any weak hitstun he receives with this move.
-----Lets Greninja escape from a plethora of moves, seen here
Cons:
- Cannot be canceled
- Punishable on block/miss due to poor FAF
- Changes in Greninja's movement will telegraph the move (suddenly going from running to walking, slowed fall speed, etc).
- SSHC can be punished on a read, possibly restarting combos
Summary:
Without the SSHC technique, I would rate this move in D-tier, really only good for a mixup or a read due to it being very easy to punish and easy to read as well as long as an opponent knows what to look for. However, SSHC is an incredibly strong tool in certain matchups, allowing Greninja to escape large amounts of damage and/or making him incredibly hard to kill. I still only put it in B though, as opponents familiar with the move will start baiting it for harder punishes.

:4wiifit:: Oh, Header... another move that is raised quite a bit higher due to the various tech around it. Like before, I'll give it a B, but I could see argument for it to go higher. Edit: You know what? No. I'm giving this A tier. Between combos into spikes, combo starters from the ball, projectile pressure while in the advantage or some disadvantages, and sheer scariness off-stage, I can only think of, like, three side specials I'd rather have. If this were being compared to something like neutral specials I would probably put it lower, but there just isn't a lot of competition in this category.
Pros:
- Projectile moves very fast and has very long range
- Angle of projectile can be altered slightly, which also alters active frames for the hitboxes and FAF
- Head hitbox spikes, and can be comboed into
- Great damage (15% from the head hitbox and 8% from the projectile, opponents can get hit with both at once, can be increased by Deep Breathing to 18% and 10% respectively)
- Ball damage and knockback do not stale
- Stalls fall and gives slight vertical distance when used in the air
- Ball has a hurtbox and is generated on frame 1, so it can be used to help block some incoming projectiles (though usually a bad idea, see Cons)
- Ball angle will usually not hit Wii Fit Trainer if reflected
- ball will bounce off of sides of stages with a hitbox still active to help cover low recoveries.
- Wii Fit Trainer can drift after hitting the ball even when used on the ground to adjust spacing
- Can be canceled before hit, in which case the ball drops harmlessly in front of Wii Fit Trainer, allowing for BC (ball cancel) tech
----- Can hit ball with any hitbox to launch it at the angle of that hitbox with speed and damage relative to hitbox's KB
----- Massive variety of angles and speeds allow for zoning, easier approaches, frame traps, edge guards, and kill combos
----- Header's spike hitbox can still be used while ball is in play
----- Hitting the ball stales the moves that hit it, meaning you can use this to refresh kill moves or reduce KB for combo moves
----- Hitting the ball causes hitstun, meaning it can be used to extend duration of hitboxes
----- Ball can be hit repeatedly to alter angle of movement mid-flight (ex: hitting the ball with jab to move it forward, then firing Sun Salutation at it to make it pop up at an angle)
----- Ball can be hit with the same hitbox that hits an opponent to make it also hit the opponent for increased damage
----- BC can also be started by using header slightly under the stage, in which case it will spawn on stage next to ledge while Wii Fit Trainer snaps to the ledge
Cons:
- Startup ranges from slightly slow to very slow depending on the angle it is hit at, and BC is even slower
- Non BC shots will go over opponents who are on the ground directly in front of Wii Fit Trainer, unless she uses it from a lower platform or off stage
- If both hitboxes connect (head and ball), ball will stop opponents from being spiked
- Due to a suspected glitch, Header will not spike opponents at very high percents if Deep Breathing is active, instead hitting them at an angle similar to that of the soccer ball
- Only one ball may be active at a time
- Header can only be used one while in the air unless you get hit to reset it, including the ball-less spike
- Canceling the move makes Wii fit Trainer enter helpless fall, so it should never be canceled off-stage
- The ball has a hurtbox, and can be hit back at Wii Fit Trainer (similar to Dedede's Gordos). This is not usually a problem due to the ball's high speed and limited duration, but because the ball is generated in front of Wii Fit Trainer on frame 1 it can be hit into her before she fires it. It does less damage and knockback than large projectiles, but more damage than some small projectiles, and will still hit Wii Fit Trainer without actually stopping most melee attacks (though it usually hits afterwards, changing the KB angle)
- The ball always has the same KB angle no matter it's direction of travel, so no spiking the ball at someone to spike them, etc.
- The ball has limited duration that shortens as it takes damage, making some BC trick shots have very poor range.
- The BC ball can lose it's hitbox if the move that hit it was too weak, though most attacks have at least one hitbox that is strong enough to circumvent this.
Summary:
On its own, Header is a solid projectile that moves at an odd angle and can spike at point blank range, making it a good move that is a staple of Wii Fit Trainer's range game. BC tricks further enhance this, giving the character a projectile that can be fired in almost any direction and with a plethora of specific techniques or combos attached to most of these angles. I can't overstate this enough, to the point where I want to include a link to a summary of what these can do but I would have to link you to most of the Wii Fit Trainer board, as the majority of their threads are "New BC tech found, come watch". However, the move is pretty slow on startup, and will flat out miss opponents who are too close unless you opt for a BC shot, which start up even slower, meaning that it sees almost all of its use in the advantage state when your opponent is too far away to combo them with something else, while off stage, or to take stocks at the end of combos near the ledge.

Phew... okay, resume your regularly scheduled chatter.

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Where exactly would Cape and Super Sheet belong? I know that the latter does 7.84%, unlike the former, which does 7%. Aside from damage, those two may be the best side specials in the game because of their ability to gimp recoveries. Mario's is far better because it stalls his landing.

Nah

Smash Champion
I wouldn't call Cape and Sheet among the best side Bs in the game, but they are at least in the upper half of the list given how good of reflectors they are plus messing with people by turning them around

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
If im not mistaken red pikmin instantly blows up flareblitz.
All pikmin will cause Charizard to bonk, hitting a pikmin is like hitting a character. Red are the only ones that successfully latch on rather than die as Charizard enters his endlag.

Well, looks like it's time to throw a couple side specials in the ring that no one else seems to have touched on yet. here goes nothing.

:4littlemac:: I'd probably make Jolt Haymaker solidly in C tier. It isn't great, but it certainly isn't terrible either.
Pros:
To add to this, Little Mac can cancel landing lag in much the same way Ike, Falco, etc do with their Side Bs. When used at a specific height, you can act quickly upon landing. Try full hop plus double jump > immediate side B. Any higher than that, and he enters special fall with a standard 30 frames landing lag. Assuming no platforms, you can't reach this height without a double jump, which is the deal breaker for LM, but even from the top of a full hop, you're down to a more manageable low landing lag. A neat trick to try and bait a dash grab as they assume you suffer more lag than you actually do.

I would definitely rank this move on the lower half of side Bs, but I agree on not bottom. Besides being absolutely crucial to Little Mac as a recovery option and aerial, the mixups are good and it's good knockback on hit. You can even crossup shields, a luxury unknown to Falcon, Swordfighter, Brawler, Ike, Pikachu, and Luigi who have similar moves.

:4zss: Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn The most important difference between tether and side b recoveries is that ZSS can tether the ledge while facing the opposite direction with side b. This greatly improves her recovery and how deep she can go for edge guards while staying safe. This means she is the only character that can run off stage and immediately side b tether the ledge --> bair and still cover buffered ledge options because she can act 3x faster than any other drop down ledge trump. This alone seriously boosts the move because Nairo and Marss get kills off this setup all the time. (actually, I know Samus and possibly the other tether characters can do a rar jump to instant tether and do the same thing ZSS does, but it's insanely hard to do, ZSS' instant side b tether takes no practice and that's why it's actually used).
I see, that is a good application. Of course, you could run off the ledge and pull back for an instant ledge grab, but tether ledge grabs allow you to act as soon as you pull up, instead of the 20 or so frames you normally need to wait before you can let go of a ledge for a Bair. With Side B, it would take less than 5 with practice.

I aggree with the Low tier placement, but let me correct you here : you aren't using Crash Bomb because you want to put a lot of damage or kill because that's not what it does.
I expressed no discontent with the move's damage and kill power in my post. But thanks for taking the initiative in pointing it out, I suppose. Another thing I didn't mention is disappearing on contact with shields. No incurred shieldstun, it just disappears. Pikmin behave this way too, but at least the pikmin remain in play after passing through a shield, or latch onto the back of the victim if they put down shield too early. Of course, there isn't much need to, if Mega Man uses this at an unsafe close range, grab and throw him immediately so the bomb latches on him, then combo the explosion. You also mentioned Bayonetta's counter as a bad idea for leaf shield - that's true. But no better for crash bomber, whose explosion will activate witch time if Mega Man is close enough to perform any of his pressure or mixup ideas. Furthermore, Bayonetta represents just 1 potential matchup, and I was just making a comment that I'd personally prefer leaf shield in general if the situation afforded me enough time for either that or a Side B. I can't speak for every Mega Man player on this, nor did I intend to.

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
I am fairly certain that Flare Blitz actually goes through Pikmin (I think they latch on to him mid travel) but I'd have to double check.
If Zard already has a pikmin latched on to him before he uses flare blitz, he collides with it immediately since they are a hurt box. Afaik, the only exceptions are if the pikmin is latched on the very top of Zard's head where his horns are or if they're on his tail; he'll miss them in both cases. Since he sticks his head so far out during FB, it's why he often won't collide with them mid travel and instead have them latch on.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Where exactly would Cape and Super Sheet belong? I know that the latter does 7.84%, unlike the former, which does 7%. Aside from damage, those two may be the best side specials in the game because of their ability to gimp recoveries. Mario's is far better because it stalls his landing.
Cape stops Mario's momentum and gives him no height, so it's really not that good at stalling. Super Sheet's lack of stall gives Doc landing options and spacing options when combined with B-reversing and/or Wavebouncing.

Good side specials would probably be:
:4bayonetta2: (both aerial versions for their combo potential and/or safety on shield)
:4corrinf: (ledge guarding, killing, whiff punishing, etc.)
:4cloud: (Limit Mode only. Fast, strong, very low cooldown, which makes it hard to whiff punish)
:4diddy: (It's a command grab and an attack and it sends Diddy far, and when B-reversing afterwards, the momentum carries Diddy far, and the B-reversed special can be cancelled with Shield and.... it's a really good move)
:4lucario: (Probably on the lower end of good moves, but I think it's pretty decent. It's a command grab+attack, and both parts (the blast and the grab) are incredibly strong with Aura)
:4mario:/:4drmario: (Fairly fast, can reflect things, can turn people around without knocking them out of freefall, can snap to the ledge. Again, probably on the lower end of the good moves)
:4mewtwo: (Like Doc's Super Sheet, Confusion when B-reversed/Wavebounced gives Mewtwo more options to land. It's a command grab, so it beats shields and can sometimes prevent opponents from ledge guarding)
:4olimar: (This character thrives on this move...)
:4sonic: (Can shield cancel, combo off of the move, whiff punish with it. Really good move)
:4wiifitm: (Cute edge guarding tricks (knocking the ball under the stage and hitting someone as it rebounds), ability to cancel the attack, can stall landings, especially when recovering)

I realize that I could have given my vote for the previous round but.... lol at people putting Mario's mediocre Fireball over Doc's equally mediocre Megavitamins.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I was actually about to give my input on Force Palm. I do agree with what you said about it. At aura, it kinda teaches the opponent to not shield as much because the command grab is strong with aura. As for the projectile, it can be a good landing mix up at the cost of being reflected by those who have a reflector.

JayZee1700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JZ1700
3DS FC
4442-2981-4202
Mid-Tier Side Specials (B-D tiers, in no particular order)

B-:4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4lucas::4bowserjr::4darkpit::4greninja::4mario:
C-:4link::4tlink::4pit::4bowser::4jigglypuff::4drmario:
D-:4samus::4falcon::4megaman::4luigi::4littlemac::4gaw:

Reasoning For Each Placement:

B:

Duck Hunt - Skeet is one of DH's most useful moves. DH can whip it out and set it off basically whenever he wants. One of the best zoning tools in the game, Skeet earns a spot in the B tier.

Ganondorf - Ganon's Flame Choke is incredibly useful for Ganon. It gives Ganon a little more stage presence by adding an instant tech chase scenario just from using one move. Overall essential for Ganon's moveset.

Lucas - PK Fire is simply an amazing zoning tool that is hard to punish. It sends at an annoying angle that just screams trouble for projectile-weak characters.

Bowser Jr. - Basically BJ's best approach option. The amount of follow-ups you can get with this move is insane, and it kills at higher %'s. Just a really good move.

Dark Pit - Other than being the best For Glory tactic ever, it also grants super armor, has really high knockback, and deflects projectiles.

Greninja - Shadow Sneak is a very strong move, and hard to punish on a stage where you can't see Greninja's shadow move. Overall, its a dangerous move that can be sprinkled into the majority of his combos as a finisher.

Mario - The best gimping tool in the game, Mario's Cape can reflect projectiles and your opponent. Also helps Mario recover by stalling.

C:

Link - Link's Gale Boomerang is a fast projectile that is a combo starter, and can make some cool windbox shenanigans.

Toon Link - Similar to Link's, TL's Boomerang is a fast projectile that starts combos, and the backwards hitbox can lead into huge damage.

Pit - Same as Dark Pit, except the angle that it sends is just inferior.

Bowser - Flying Slam is a really, really strong command grab, that not only trades stocks, but has no landing lag to boot. One of Bowser's safest landing options.

Jigglypuff - Pound can be used to stall recovery, or break shields. The hitbox lasts for like 40 years, and can kill at higher %'s.

Dr. Mario - Basically Mario's Cape but a little worse. Has more vertical range in exchange for horizontal range, and doesn't stall recovery.

D:

Samus - Although the straight missiles are decent, homing missiles are trash, and the end lag is not that good.

Captain Falcon - Despite being a very reliable kill move, if shielded, you're left completely wide open for a big punish.

Mega Man - Although Crash forces shield and gives MM some cool read opportunities, you can just shield the bomb before it hits you and nothing happens. Could be useful for recovery gimps if put on stage I guess.

Luigi - The only upsides to Green Missile are helping with Luigi's recovery and that oh-so-satisfying misfire. Other than that, it's ridiculously unsafe.

Little Mac - It has good power and knock back. It can help Little Mac recover sometimes. Popular for SDing on For Glory. (I guess it COULD be C-Tier but it may be just a LITTLE bit under.)

Mr. Game and Watch - S tier if you're GimR. Other than that, it's up to the Gods of RNG to decide this move's tier placing.

Yes, I know there are probably a few misplaced here and there, so let me know why I was wrong. Thanks!

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE

Ok here is the initial list for Side-Special. There was a lot of discrepancies between some characters in the ranks so I expect a lot of discussion to come, following some changes.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's should probably move down. Some (but not all) of the ones in C tier are better than his. It is a pretty close call overall though. Ike's Side B is trash outside of its niche uses. It thankfully has multiple of those which is more than what some in C tier can say. Probably should see what others have to say.

Might be better off moving all of D tier into F tier, and then splitting the current C tier in two tbqh.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Move Roy up a tier imo. DED is the ****.

Villager's side B isn't that good. It's a low risk / medium at best reward option that's in no way comparable to Dancing Blade or Cross Slash. Bump him down a tier for sure.

:059:

Top Bottom