• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranking moves in Characters (Round 21: Discussing Down-Special)

What will you like to discuss next?

• Jabs

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • Grabs

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Continue with Specials

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If by "best" you meant "most damage" then no, he's losing by a good 30%.

If by "best" you mean "most consistent" then I have no clue but I'll admit I suspect there are easier ones out there.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
If by "best" you meant "most damage" then no, he's losing by a good 30%.

If by "best" you mean "most consistent" then I have no clue but I'll admit I suspect there are easier ones out there.
I mean most consistent. Meta knight has a really good one too (dthrow->bair spike->dtilt) but its much much harder

I mean consistency and damage, really. Its easy to do, works on most characters, and deals a lot of damage.

Captain falcon, for example, has Fthrow->Dair lock but it only works on fast fallers. Roy's works on most the cast

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I think Roy's fthrow is deserving of A tier. He can follow up fthrow with nair, and can follow up nair with a bunch of things, including a regrab and another fthrow into nair (although it doesn't work on fastfallers). I don't know if this is actually a true combo on non-fastfallers, but if it isn't, your DI needs to be impeccable to escape it. The point is that he gets a lot of damage off of fthrow, to the point that I think it qualifies for A tier.

Last edited:

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
I labbed roy's Fthrow -> dancing blade and its actually a lot better than i thought.

Its true from 0%-70%, depending on the character. It deals really good damage, around 20% if all hits land. From 50%-80%, roy can Fthrow->FIRST hit of Side B-> regrab. At low percent, if Fthrow puts the opponent over the edge, Fthrow->FIRST hit of Side B -> footstool/Dair spike, as a really solid mix-up.

As a combo throw, Fthrow is actually significantly better than Dthrow imo.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I labbed roy's Fthrow -> dancing blade and its actually a lot better than i thought.

Its true from 0%-70%, depending on the character. It deals really good damage, around 20% if all hits land. From 50%-80%, roy can Fthrow->FIRST hit of Side B-> regrab. At low percent, if Fthrow puts the opponent over the edge, Fthrow->FIRST hit of Side B -> footstool/Dair spike, as a really solid mix-up.

As a combo throw, Fthrow is actually significantly better than Dthrow imo.
It definitely is. Roy's down throw is pretty bad, to be honest. It only has enough hitstun to allow for an up air at mid percents, Blazer, or sometimes a forward air. I can only think of one reason to use down throw over forward throw, and that's to bait an air dodge.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Dunno why people were suggesting moving Pit's Uthrow down but whatever...

Pit's Fthrow is one of the best. 10% is good damage for a throw raw, it's one of the strongest Fthrows for killing, and has plenty of low% combos for a ton of damage. Fthrow Usmash is 23% and it only gets better from there.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
MK's f throw could be definitively B-tier--if it wasn't for the fact that he effectively requires a dash grab for it to combo consistently. Otherwise it would easily be his best throw: 9% compared to d throw's 7.5% in addition to follow-ups (launch angle is slightly better too) into dash attack, aerials, and up b, launches opponents on frame 9 which gives very little time to DI properly, and can true combo or 50/50 into a KO with up b. It also has much lower knockback growth than d throw making it arguably better at kill percents.

But like I said, the throw's utility is significantly hindered by the need for a sliding throw for combos to be reliable, so committing to a dashing approach (taking into account MK's mediocre dash-to-shield) often isn't worth it when d throw is more straightforward, consistent, and convenient.

However, I could see it being B-tier when comparing it to the f throws of some characters ranked there. Falcon's f throw is very similar: fast, does 9%, and can lead into follow-ups but not consistently, and while it does have the benefit of situational KO power, MK's sacrifices power for slightly better combo potential. Ryu's also does 9%, but can't KO or combo reliably, yet it's ranked higher. Bayonetta's f throw does 1% more with decent KO'ing power, but can't set up. MK's f throw is of similar quality to those ones so I think B-tier is good, but I can understand it staying in C-tier given d throw overshadows it.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
it's one of the strongest Fthrows for killing, and has plenty of low% combos for a ton of damage. Fthrow Usmash is 23% and it only gets better from there.
Fthrow to Usmash? Not in a million years. You're thinking of Dthrow. Fthrow to Ftilt at 0% only on fast fallers and heavyweights. And Fthrow to dash attack on those same matchups. Both are susceptible to DI. You're already in high tier, no need to lie.

In a similar respect, why is Roy only Fthrowing sheik who knows nothing of DI? Weight dependent throws matter for combos, people. Fthrow to Nair to regrab would never happen. Neither does Side B 1 to grab, the victim has like 20 frame advantage against Roy on either hitbox.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Falcon's Forward Throw, if we're judging by combo ability even, should be very high. If we're talking about how good Roy F-Throw is for that (it is!) Falcon's is technically the most consistent combo throw in the game IIRC. Dashgrab > F-Throw > Instant Dash Attack works on the entire roster (the distance Falcon slides from a dashgrab is important, it does not work from a standing grab) due to F-Throw's lack of weight dependency. It's actually pretty interesting! Outwards DI might change if the character is small but the knockback is so little and Falcon's DA is so disjointed that I imagine it may only work with PK kids/really small chars. Fatties are extra susceptible to this combo for what it's worth, since their weight doesn't reduce the frame advantage on this F-Throw.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Falcon's Forward Throw, if we're judging by combo ability even, should be very high. If we're talking about how good Roy F-Throw is for that (it is!) Falcon's is technically the most consistent combo throw in the game IIRC. Dashgrab > F-Throw > Instant Dash Attack works on the entire roster (the distance Falcon slides from a dashgrab is important, it does not work from a standing grab) due to F-Throw's lack of weight dependency. It's actually pretty interesting! Outwards DI might change if the character is small but the knockback is so little and Falcon's DA is so disjointed that I imagine it may only work with PK kids/really small chars. Fatties are extra susceptible to this combo for what it's worth, since their weight doesn't reduce the frame advantage on this F-Throw.
Most consistent is incorrect. Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Sheik maintain combos for far longer than Falcon's 0-40 on just heavyweights who don't DI. And they're not weight dependent either. Furthermore, with Falcon you need more than half of FD in front of you for the combination of the dash grab, the mobile Fthrow, and the dash attack.

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
In a similar respect, why is Roy only Fthrowing sheik who knows nothing of DI? Weight dependent throws matter for combos, people. Fthrow to Nair to regrab would never happen. Neither does Side B 1 to grab, the victim has like 20 frame advantage against Roy on either hitbox.
Roy's Fthrow combos work on more than just sheik/fast fallers. Although the throw is affected by both weight and fall speed, follow ups are still very possible and practical.

And what i mentioned is a mix-up, and it works.

Also fthrow -> nair -> regrab is a thing, but it only works on like 3 characters, so its not very practical.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Most consistent is incorrect. Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Sheik maintain combos for far longer than Falcon's 0-40 on just heavyweights who don't DI. And they're not weight dependent either. Furthermore, with Falcon you need more than half of FD in front of you for the combination of the dash grab, the mobile Fthrow, and the dash attack.
It's not on just heavyweights bruh. It's on a majority of the roster. It's pretty friggin good! You have listed 3 FThrows that are better in that regard as well but I consider Falcon's to be a cut above a large majority of the cast because of this. Perhaps I should've worded it better but I really don't care enough. I'm also unsure how DI out does anything but not make the combo counter register it, but I can't see any option actually beating the dash attack besides the Falcon player messing up? They fly too low to the ground, I would ASSUME jump away but I'm doubtful? Regardless I think Falcon's F-Throw is ranked a bit low in the preliminary list.

I'm also not certain DK's F-Throw is something you want to use at 0% considering how easy it is to mash out of at low % because of how Cargo throw works. It is INCREDIBLY good for a plethora of other reasons (beyond the fact that it leads into an entire other set of 3 throws) but we all know the biggest reason.

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
I don't think Falcon's f throw is the most consistent combo throw or even close because he needs a dash-grab. While his dash grab is of course amazing, mind you, the fact that you can't follow-up reliably on it from a standing or pivot grab significantly limits its utility. It's why I compared him to MK in this regard: both have f throws that have very good combo ability off of a slide, but at the same time they have another combo throw that deals a bit less damage in exchange for being more consistent as a whole.

Falcon's f throw is amazing overall not because of combo ability, but just all-around versatility, and a forward facing kill throw is not something a lot of characters have.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Fthrow to Usmash? Not in a million years. You're thinking of Dthrow. Fthrow to Ftilt at 0% only on fast fallers and heavyweights. And Fthrow to dash attack on those same matchups. Both are susceptible to DI. You're already in high tier, no need to lie.
Fthrow Usmash is a thing man. The move was a chaingrab tool in Brawl, remember. Maybe it needs a dash grab? Pit's probably getting one anyway, so... The move's not weight dependent, so that's not a gigantic factor.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Fthrow Usmash is a thing man. The move was a chaingrab tool in Brawl, remember. Maybe it needs a dash grab? Pit's probably getting one anyway, so... The move's not weight dependent, so that's not a gigantic factor.
Momentum or not, it's not a true combo under any circumstance. Would it have killed you to try for yourself? Furthermore, Pit does have a combo throw of his own, why opt for an inferior option if you had the choice?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Momentum or not, it's not a true combo under any circumstance. Would it have killed you to try for yourself? Furthermore, Pit does have a combo throw of his own, why opt for an inferior option if you had the choice?
...What?
ReRaze ReRaze Fthrow Usmash is true isn't it? I distinctly remember going over low percent throw combos with you some time ago.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
...What?
ReRaze ReRaze Fthrow Usmash is true isn't it? I distinctly remember going over low percent throw combos with you some time ago.
It most certainly can true combo. It's not common but it can, it works for ages on DK.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn LancerStaff LancerStaff ReRaze ReRaze Fthrow → Usmash on DK won't work at 0% in Training Mode, even when I frame skip for Pit's sake to try making it as true as I can attempt it to be. This includes just straight-running uncharged up smash or jump-cancelling up-smash. No matter how much I tried for 10 minutes, I couldn't get it to true combo DK DI'ing away from Pit Fthrow. However, Fthrow → Instant Dash attack is true & deals 21% & that's better damage than Dthrow → Usmash OR Uair.

They would have to DI in for your Fthrow to make it true combo Usmash, but that's a DI mixup discussion I suppose.

EDIT: Even if Fthrow → Usmash could true combo with the character holding DI toward you, I'd rather dash attack personally because you suffer less endlag on top of having a better positional advantage of the moment, & you only deal 2% less damage rather than doing dash attack which is way more reliable & true anyhow.

EDIT #2: Ah man, I forgot to try turnaround jump-canceled up smash out of the dash from Fthrow. Whoops, guess I'll attempt that sometime later tomorrow.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Ok final update coming through:

Forward-Throw TL.png

TL;DR:
:4dk: X -> S
:4wario2: S -> A
:4bowser: S -> A
:4ganondorf: B -> A
:4charizard: C -> A
:4metaknight: C -> B
:4mario: C -> B
:4ryu: B -> C
:4luigi: D -> C
:4jigglypuff: D -> C
:4robinm: F -> D
:4gaw: D -> F

Ok so with that done, we will now be moving on to Down-Throw. Discuss and a preliminary list will be up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's Dthrow: generally speaking an inferior combo throw to Uthrow, but is used for those low % footstool combos (with the potential of up to 80% damage but that ain't practical). Eventually becomes a kill throw. Not a great one, but a legit one particularly when Ike's rage kicks in.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Dthrows are usually the combo throws, and they're too numerous to count. Ness should stick to A tier I think since his guaranteed followups stop working beyond 70% or so, while someone like Mario works for much longer. ROB is a solid candidate for A or S, he gets a kill confirm or 50/50 off his quite easily. Falcon's is also quite solid, working for a while, easily A, but could also be B depending on how well the rest of them stack up. Luigi is almost certainly S, his followups are insane off of dthrow. G&W is naturally really good, and Shulk should probably be A thanks to having the strongest kill dthrow. I think this list will be hard to rate.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
So Zard's d-throw. The move deals 6 hits of 1% each, sends the opponent in a 70º angle, has 70 bkb and 130 kbg. The move has a long animation making it easy for the opponent to react to it and di accordingly.

At low percents ,depending on the opponents Di, d-throw combos into fair, nair ,u-smash and very rarely u-tilt or u-air. Out of those moves Fair is the easiest to combo into, U-smash deals the most raw damage and nair can get you either a regrab or a jab mixup.

At mid percents u-smash and nair start slowly to stop working making fair the best option if they di away and u-air the best option if they di towards you.

At high percents the opponent is forced to di d-throw up and away unless they want to die to u-air, fair still works but will stop comboing before it kills.

Zard can also opt for a bunch of gimmicky followups to d-throw. At low percents you can try to bait the opponent into airdodging in order to spike them with d-air. At mid percents d-throw can combo into flareblitz provided the opponent has no idea how to Di and is scared of airdodging Zard's d-throw, this can actually kill midweights at around 60-70 percent at the edge (tho you wont land it into anyone who knows what they are doing, so i'm only metioning this for completionism sake.)

At high percents Zard can combo d-throw into a bair for the kill provided the opponent DIs away, this can put the opponent in an awkward position as they are forced to di up and away putting them above Zard and forcing them to contest with his huge vertical disjoints.

Eh, i'd say B for Zard? D-throw doesn't really do much damage and while it has lots of followups it is easy to react and di since its animation is so long. It is not weight dependant tho which is kinda sweet.

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Just to extend on Zard's dthrow, thanks to his increased air speed in the 1.1.5 patch, it is actually a true kill confirm (as early as 70% near the ledge) against fast fallers and some other select characters even with optimal DI away (as long as his rage isn't high).

I would put him in A simply because of that in addition to his combo damage at lower/mid percents.

Contenders for S and A tier: ZSS, Lucas, Ness, Mario/Dr Mario, Luigi, Palutena, Robin, probable some more.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Seeing as how Dthrows are mainly about comboing and not killing outright, let's build a list of down throws with no true combo potential on any matchup or range: :4bayonetta2::4bowser::4cloud::4corrin::4dk::4duckhunt::4fox::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4pacman:*:4sonic:*:4shulk::4tlink::4wario::4wiifit:

*Pacman and Sonic don't lead into anything on their own, but they're clearly geared for setting up tech chases. With Pac Man, the potential is good becuase they're not sent far. Sonic's endlag is 8 frames longer (33 total), and his great run speed doesn't seem to make up for it. If the victim techs in place, both are practically reset to neutral. If they don't tech, they're not exactly at sonic's mercy, since they can choose a getup option at about the point he starts running.

Furthermore, here are the weight based combo throws that lose several or all of their followups when throwing heavier targets (not counting throws that lack followups to begin with).:4falcon::4drmario::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4luigi::4mario::4megaman::4gaw::4robinm::4feroy::4ryu::4villager::4yoshi:

For some of these it matters more than others. When throwing Bowser, Luigi only loses one or two optimal options. But Dr. Mario, Falcon, Yoshi, Ganondorf, Link, Little Mac, Lucario, and Mega Man lose 90-100% of true followups ranges. Marth and Lucina keep Dolphin Slash as a followup, but it puts them at risk to choose that, and they can't seem to Uair anything heavier than a sheik or similarly attributed opponent. Another potential issue comes from lack of practice. It's comical to watch Mario Perform Utilt instead of full hop Uair. You can only buffer one input, and the game prioritizes the last as the player doesn't account for their increased endlag. With these weight based throws, you need to explicitly practice comboing different targets.

Edit: Gunner removed from first list as Dthrow to Nair works on most characters at 0%.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Furthermore, here are the weight based combo throws that lose several or all of their followups when throwing heavier targets (not counting throws that lack followups to begin with).:4falcon::4drmario::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4luigi::4mario::4megaman::4gaw::4robinm::4feroy::4ryu::4villager::4yoshi:

For some of these it matters more than others. When throwing Bowser, Luigi only loses one or two optimal options. But Dr. Mario, Falcon, Yoshi, Ganondorf, Link, Little Mac, Lucario, and Mega Man lose 90-100% of true followups ranges. Marth and Lucina keep Dolphin Slash as a followup, but it puts them at risk to choose that, and they can't seem to Uair anything heavier than a sheik or similarly attributed opponent. Another potential issue comes from lack of practice. It's comical to watch Mario Perform Utilt instead of full hop Uair. You can only buffer one input, and the game prioritizes the last as the player doesn't account for their increased endlag. With these weight based throws, you need to explicitly practice comboing different targets.
^This is important. Bowser's heavy yet floaty nature makes him much less susceptible to weight dependent throws. Weight, floaty-ness, airspeed and tools all come into play.

:4link: gets a good amount of true combos from Dthrow vs most of the cast. Even if the combos aren't true Link can read an airdodge 50/50. Details are here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VC-qvEWaQhgqR7MfMMGaTNyMiTQzXWDJGXpR__Uuzks/edit#gid=0

The only characters he shouldn't Dthrow, even at mid to high %s, are :4bowser::4charizard::4samus::4mario::4luigi::4wiifit::4yoshi:.

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
I'd expect the d throw tier list to be really weird, seeing as a lot of characters have good d throws. These characters' d throws are S-tier candidates, or at the very least could qualify for A-tier: :4falcon::4diddy::4lucas::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4gaw::4ness::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4rob::4robinm::4feroy::4samus::4sheik::4zss::4drmario:.:4olimar:. These are the characters whose d throws lead into rewarding combos and in some cases KO set-ups.

And here are the D-tier or F-tier throws, the ones that don't lead into combos reliably and can't score KO's well whether through set-ups or directly; many combos that are gotten off of these d throws are due to poor DI: :4bowserjr::4cloud2::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4dk::4fox::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4mewtwo::4pacman::4sonic::4tlink::4wario2::4yoshi:.

Here the in-between d throws. Typically these throws lose their combo potential past lower percents, or are only useful as stock-caps: :4bayonetta::4bowser::4charizard::4corrin::4dedede::4darkpit::4falco::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4megaman::4pit::rosalina::4ryu::4shulk::4wiifit::4zelda:.

Meta Knight's down throw is a candidate for S-tier: decent damage (7.5%), has guaranteed follow-ups until ~80%, and can start KO combos on floatier characters. There are some neat things you can do with it, with d throw -> nado and d throw -> dash attack -> up air -> nair being simple ways of racking 25%+ damage. Then there are more complicated follow-ups like d throw -> PP FF bair, which can lead into upwards of 50%, and a potential KO. At mid-percents, if the opponent DI's in, they risk ~30% from an up air string. At mid-percents, there's a d throw -> PP bair killing 50/50.

The only thing holding back MK's d throw is that its high knockback growth (170), diagonal angle, and long animation (launches on frame 75) make it rather useless at kill percents against anyone who knows the MU. The diagonal angle, when combined with MK's mediocre air speed, also makes follow-ups difficult at the ledge if the opponent DI's away, down, or down-away, often limiting him to a fair follow-up, which is why ledge camping is quite effective against him. However, these issues shouldn't be enough to disqualify it from S-tier, especially considering several abusable d throws have been nerfed over time (Diddy, ZSS, Sheik, Luigi).

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Here the in-between d throws. Typically these throws lose their combo potential past lower percents, or are only useful as stock-caps::4link:
IDK about the others but this is completely wrong for Link. His Dthrow usually has followups from 10-100% and can combo into Uair to take stocks.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah, but past lower percents it becomes pretty inconsistent, which is why it would probably be somewhere in B-tier.
You can get consistent followups but it's different for different characters. Link's slow with low jumps so you have to know the %s and options but everything on the chart is guaranteed. Some characters do get a lot more followups on them (Kirby) then others (Samus). It's at least as good as G&W's.
ez link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VC-qvEWaQhgqR7MfMMGaTNyMiTQzXWDJGXpR__Uuzks/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn LancerStaff LancerStaff ReRaze ReRaze Fthrow → Usmash on DK won't work at 0% in Training Mode, even when I frame skip for Pit's sake to try making it as true as I can attempt it to be. This includes just straight-running uncharged up smash or jump-cancelling up-smash. No matter how much I tried for 10 minutes, I couldn't get it to true combo DK DI'ing away from Pit Fthrow. However, Fthrow → Instant Dash attack is true & deals 21% & that's better damage than Dthrow → Usmash OR Uair.

They would have to DI in for your Fthrow to make it true combo Usmash, but that's a DI mixup discussion I suppose.

EDIT: Even if Fthrow → Usmash could true combo with the character holding DI toward you, I'd rather dash attack personally because you suffer less endlag on top of having a better positional advantage of the moment, & you only deal 2% less damage rather than doing dash attack which is way more reliable & true anyhow.

EDIT #2: Ah man, I forgot to try turnaround jump-canceled up smash out of the dash from Fthrow. Whoops, guess I'll attempt that sometime later tomorrow.
Ok so it doesn't work as well on DI away but that wasn't the point (you don't need DI in btw), the point was that it's a thing unlike what Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn was saying that it doesn't work under any circumstances. If you need a video or something just let me know. Again Fthrow > Dash attack is certainly more reliable and its pretty damaging I agree, but I was just pointing out that Fthrow > Usmash is actually a thing. DI away from pit is suboptimal in most scenarios anyways...

Speaking of which and linking back to the current topic Pit's dthrow can lead into kill confirms at the ledge if people DI out. Dthrow > Bair kills as early as ~80%

It only has damaging combos from low to mid percents i.e dthrow > dair > anything, but dthrow > uair works until high percents.

Overall I think its plausible to keep it as a B-tier dthrow at least.

Seeing as how Dthrows are mainly about comboing and not killing outright, let's build a list of down throws with no true combo potential on any matchup or range: :4bayonetta2::4bowser::4cloud::4corrin::4dk::4duckhunt::4fox::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4miigun::4pacman:*:4sonic:*:4shulk::4tlink::4wario::4wiifit:
Doesn't cloud in Limit have access to true combos into Nair which in turn can lead into Limit Cross Slash? pretty sure MSC covered it in his vid.

But aside from that I think his dthrow has a little more use than the others in that list as even if there aren't true combos, frame trap and followup potential is there.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I think Cloud's (:4cloud:) is probably C since it has some follow-ups at low percentages.

Kirby's (:4kirby:) is probably C as well. It deals a respectable 10.2% damage and at high percentages his other throws don't lead into anything, unless you can get them off the stage. Sure, you could use up-throw instead for 10% damage, but you might not want to stale it, since it's a kill-throw.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Just gonna get it out there that Zelda's Dthrow should be in either one of the topmost tiers (like, it depends on the groupings)

Here are in-depth details, but since not everyone will read it all:
- Dthrow guaranteed into NAir/UAir/BAir by 0% and on...
- NAir until high mid %
- LKs can be tried for KOs and the frame data agrees with the idea. You can LK off of Dthrow at low percent as well (just quite precise!)
- UAir can land at KO% REGARDLESS of DI choice, as long as Zelda correctly follows it
- airdodge reads are free as well allow some even more dangerous options
- does more damage than Palutena's Dthrow secretkpop

Id say pop it in S tier. It's on par with Palutena/Falcon/Diddy Dthrows.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Bayo's Dthrow is probably C-tier. Past being a good alternative kill throw to Fthrow at like 150%+, it's not useful for much else.

Lucas' Dthrow is S-tier. Dthrow to aerial chains, dthrow to footstool shenanigans, dthrow to Uair kill confirm at high percentages...

It literally only loses its effectiveness at a point where any other throw he has will kill anyway.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Interesting thing about Bayo's d throw is that the survival DI (DI away) against it also happens to be the worst possible DI against her f throw.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
:4ness:-A. His main damage starter at low percents combos into every aerial aside Dair and of course his infamous triple Fair. Combos till mid-high percentages on most of the cast.

I second :4zelda: being S. A combo throw at low and a kill throw at high pecents very good move for her and her game

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
:4link: A good combo throw against a large part of the cast but often won't work on a few others (such as :4bowser: or :4samus:). Also can set up a kill confirm on a good portion of the cast. It's not as constant as other top level combo down throws though. I'd say B because it isn't quite as reliable on some characters.
:4bowser: I love how he body slams the character under him. Really only used for damage in between the point when up throw launches them too far and when back or forward throw won't kill. It does around 12% so seriously, don't let Bowser grab you. C tier only because good damage
:4mario: One down throw can equal over 40%. I call that an easy S tier throw
:4luigi: Same thing for Mario honestly. Prepatch was like SSS but now I'd say A or even S because he can still demolish you at low % with one throw

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
:4ganondorf:: Ganon's d-throw is around B-tier in my opinion (if we're ranking throws like Mewtwo's as C). Decent combo potential at low- to mid-percents, as well as a pseudo 50-50 with D-air near the ledge. He can also get F-air at kill percents if they don't DI away. Of course, the followups Ganon can get are inconsistent due to his poor mobility, and his followups become worse the lighter his opponent (becomes significantly more noticeable with the superheavies).

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Mii Gunner's down throw true combos into nair at low percents on fastfallers and heavyweights (Down throw to nair can sometimes frame trap an opponent at low to mid percents). It also can be followed up with an up air after a DI read at mid to high percents since up air is very difficult to avoid in the air (an opponent's airdodge would have to be frame perfect in order to avoid all of the hits). This kills at around 120%. I am still trying to see if down throw to footstool is a true combo (If this is a true combo, then it will lead to 20-50% if you are able to read the opponent's get up option. If it isn't, then you can read and opponents defensive option to land an aerial or an lunar launch projectile.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Ok so it doesn't work as well on DI away but that wasn't the point (you don't need DI in btw), the point was that it's a thing unlike what Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn was saying that it doesn't work under any circumstances. If you need a video or something just let me know. Again Fthrow > Dash attack is certainly more reliable and its pretty damaging I agree, but I was just pointing out that Fthrow > Usmash is actually a thing. DI away from pit is suboptimal in most scenarios anyways...
I said it doesn't work under any circumstance because I didn't take the time to test every character at every percent. With how impossible it looked on Mario, I saw no need to spend time proving 3% of the claim. Mario is the default test subject because he possesses no special attributes like fast falling, low or high weight, or a large hurtbox like the punching bag, DK. Even if you ignore DI, it's only been proposed to connect on DK. Yet during the five posts before that the presumed argument was "It probably work on everybody!" and "it works on nobody". You need to be able to provide even one proof of a claim and it took several days for somebody to come in and name drop DK. That's one out of 58. And I'm not expecting more than two or three additions to the list. The verdict is that ALL of Pit's fthrow followups are susceptible to DI. And fthrow is naturally outclassed by Dthrow in all scenarios.

I like the final Fthrow list, but I don't approve of Mario's move to B. It's either totally the same or inferior to Dr. Mario and Luigi in every way who are now correctly in C.

Interesting thing about Bayo's d throw is that the survival DI (DI away) against it also happens to be the worst possible DI against her f throw.
It's true that that's a DI mixup, but in training mode FD, Bayonetta's Dthrow kills Mario on 196 with DI in. 200 for no DI, and 209 for DI away. I can't imagine an opponent living so long in any competitive match. It would be more rare than...well, Bayonetta killing with Fthrow.

Mii Gunner's down throw true combos into nair at low percents on fastfallers and heavyweights (Down throw to nair can sometimes frame trap an opponent at low to mid percents). It also can be followed up with an up air after a DI read at mid to high percents since up air is very difficult to avoid in the air (an opponent's airdodge would have to be frame perfect in order to avoid all of the hits). This kills at around 120%. I am still trying to see if down throw to footstool is a true combo (If this is a true combo, then it will lead to 20-50% if you are able to read the opponent's get up option. If it isn't, then you can read and opponents defensive option to land an aerial or an lunar launch projectile.
I was unaware of Dthrow to Nair on fast fallers at 0%. Though I doubt it would still connect should the victim DI away. Gunner's Nair swings in all directions, except above and behind, and that's the direction you're trying to reach for a dthrow followup. I have an issue with the assertion that it frame traps. It has neither the active frames to beat an air dodge, nor a quick enough FAF where Gunner would act first against an air dodging opponent. As for Uair, again you're fighting the victim's DI away. Even if they air dodge too fast and get trapped, equal or better air speed can save them as they drift. And you can't expect kills as soon as 120% as long as they are air dodge, since they fall further from the ceiling blast zone for the final hit to kill.

Top Bottom