• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Luigi Thread - Zenith, EVO Coming Up!

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Against Marth:

I find this matchup to be based heavily on beating the player more so than the character. Spot dodge timing in this MU is crucial. Marth is a very rhythm based character; every move of his is him just swinging a sword, which are all kind of predictable. Get them off their groove with a well timed spot dodge and you've got a whole new world of options, mostly grabs. U-throw > chop or whatevs at low % to 40, F-throw > WD f-tilt at 50% to 90, D-throw > WD smash attack at high percents. For the luvva-mike stay on the ground. I cannot stress how important it is to stay grounded. A good Marth WILL kill you if you jump and don't use a really good air dodge or cyclone mind game to get back down. You can actually hurtbox morph with u-air and b-air when you're above him trying to get down. It's pretty tricky, but it's an effective mix-up. WD > shoryuken works if he F-smashes your shield. Recover low with missiles, cyclone high, secure the ledge, then up-b.
The Luigi cyclone has some cool clanking properties in the frame 6 start-up. You can clank with his ground attacks and get frame advantage walk up and get something for free.

On a side note: BOOST GRABBING IS SO MUCH FUN! It's a really cool mix-up after you've done a few WD > grabs.
what do you mean by "stay groudned"
i understand being on the ground, but what else am i suppose to be doing besides wave dashing out of shield.
i always end up getting pressured and whenever i try something i get punished for it.
That's great advice Vudujin! Thanks

Also, Picman, you should use your Smashes, and pressure with grabs!

Vudujin

Smash Lord
what do you mean by "stay groudned"
i understand being on the ground, but what else am i suppose to be doing besides wave dashing out of shield.
i always end up getting pressured and whenever i try something i get punished for it.
When I say stay ground I mean don't use aerials unless you have control or he's above you on platforms where he doesn't belong. If your wavedashing isn't up to snuff you could end up full-hopping during an input and then your screwed.

WD > jab > turn around grab is good. WD > jab in general is useful for controlling Marth's space. Stay just out of his reach, but don't retreat him too far because Marth's pressure doesn't need a hitbox; he can get a lot of advantage from a good stage position.

Most of your moves are faster than his, so just keep the pressure up.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Falcon works like an inversion of Marth. Falcon has a similar reach to Marth due to the length of his appendages, but the slow speed of his attacks and the fewer number of internal hit-boxes make it easier to stay close. Falcon relies on his amazing air speed and his interchangeable powerful aerials to overwhelm you with pure aggression. When the pressure's off rack up damage with a combo and get him off the stage as fast as possible. Falcon's recovery can be tricky in the right hands, but it's bad in general. When you get in close take advantage of his slow aerials and put nairs and other aerials in positions where he'll be jumping. There's an answer for everyone of his aerial approaches that'll either give you an advantage or bring the fight back to the neutral game. U-smash, f-tilt, and u-tilt are best for challenging his nair approaches. You can beat dair with a perfect U-smash (hard timing, but learnable) or time a spot dodge to just avoid it then counter. Counter bair with a spaced D-smash once his hand hits the ground. U-air is falcon's best aerial against Luigi. It just scoops you up and gives you nothing to hit or to trade with which means this is going to be "the" tool for getting knees; jump-back dair or fair works well. Recovering is difficult since Falcon can cover almost any area off of the stage and have a safe return. Mix it up and just watch what they're doing on the stage. I try to just DI to the top corners, cyclone further away and up, then missile below the ledge to hug the stage to tech his retorts.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Not APEX, but I've been going all Luigi in tournies and I'm talking to the host in my area about recordnig more matches at tournies, so hopefully I'll get some new footage of my Luigi online in the near future. The next tournament is this Saturday, so there's that.

I'll also probably try to get some footage of Luigi:M

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I think Sweet XI in MI. Maybe a NoJohns or two in April or May, then Genesis 3 and EVO in the summer.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
The NoJohns in March isn't scheduled when I'm going to be up there, so I won't be smashing.

I've tried P:M and liked it, but I don't have it and no one plays it much in my area.

Luigi and Wario are my mains in that.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Thanks man! I actually faced Vudu at Apex, and obvi, he beat me!

So Goodin lets play some P;M playing it now!
Unfortunately i left my brawl disk at a smash fest :(, i should be able to play this weekend though. Anything further in this conversation i would take to skype or personal message, we dont wanna hijack a thread.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Luigi and Wario are my mains in that.
Me. Too. Wario is beast :)

On the Marth match up, I concur thr jab -> something is quite ideal.

You can waveland forward/back throw at 0-low %

Ftilt and utilt **** Marth. Wd around and wait for him to do something then go in. Mix it up with grabs.

Up-throw -> dair is almost gaurenteed at 0, dthrow usmash is really good too.

I like to WD -> dash -> shield, it looks like an approach do most Marths will swing at you, at which point you can wd-> anything

CC Marths fair for a dsmash -> aerial.

USE upair, it combos into dj fair and dair pretty easily.

Fireball to cover your recovery.

If you are above him, you can stall with a down-b in the air to avoid an utilt then land with the second hit of the tornado and hit him.

Tornado clanks with most attacks. Use this knowledge to react faster than he does.

You can duck under his utilt.

...I could ramble about this matchup forever but long story short...don't jump!!!!

Also chop.

-BluEG

:phone:

Crypt

Smash Cadet
anyone bored willing to critique?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8-NsD5sZvQ&feature=youtu.be

i know i should be ftilting less and replacing it with dsmash in certain situations. need to work on wavelanding/incorporating dd more as well.

what characters go well with weegee in teams?

also, what are your guys opinions on utilt? personally its my favorite move but idk if its very reliable unless you're on FD.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I'll check in a bit.

EDIT:

Excuse me. I am writing this down as I watch this video. First off, I see no bairs. I kid you not, back airs are much killing people directionally while off the stage than dairs, and easier to hit with, especially with a dropzoned bair. Look at 2:00.

Also, your sex kick is a killing/get out of combos fast move. Its is not a mainly a move to follow up in combos. The cooldown is too long. If you gotta use it in a combo, it is a delayed sex kick to pop someone up into a fair or a dair.

Secondly, I suggest you play some Mario Party and learn how to DownB. You need to copter as the 3rd option in recovery. Missile and Up B only help so much :D

3:26, I am not sure you were trying to save him, or you were seriously trying to kill him. If you were, just grab the edge against falco, or hell, a slap would work if you want all dem brownie points. ALL OF EM.

I'll watch more and take some notes, but ftilt is a safer option than dsmash. However, if you find the opportunity, always give them the D(smash, B, air). :D

Also, always use your utilt. Works good on platform droppers. Most of Luigi's game is getting nubs in the air and getting them off the stage with a fair or dair. utilt is good with that.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Alright, i watched most of the vid , and I like what I see.
First off, I want to say that ur opponent SUCKED!

Your basic fundamentals are down, but I see some flaws. You use your f-tilt WAY too many times, and I see you hesitate to finish some combos. You start one, but you don't use your up-smash or F-Smash. Also, try to use ur WL more often as well, it helps.

See also if you can increase your Rising Tornado height.

Crypt

Smash Cadet
yeah i kind of derped at 3:26 haha.

and yeah i kind of underrate bair... even when i played doc i still underutilized it. i'll work on that.

as for the mashing... mario party here i come!

i've got a tournament in a couple weeks, hopefully i'll get something recorded so i can update you guys on progress!

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
How about 4? Ultimate Luigi copter practice game.

Sorry, don't own Mario Party 4, only Mario Party 7. Besides, there are games in MP7 like Pokey Pummel

And there's also Wingin' it

Edit: After quick calculations, I found that I can improve my hand speed. See, there are 13 Pokeys (I counted), and Toadsworth's advice was to hit each one 5 times. So 13*5=65. I done this minigame from 8 to 9.5 seconds. So, my button pressing speed is from 6.8 to 8 presses per second! Therefore, I can either stall time, OR gain half the height! For me, THAT IS GOOD!
#USINGMATHINLIFE4TW!

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I played a Bo7 $1 MM over at Bizzaro Flames house tonight. If any of you guys could take a look at it I'd greatly appreciate it. General observations as well as matchup specific advice are both greatly appreciated (I know next to nothing about the doc matchup).

My opponent (tuPH-Wun) and I are both pretty low-level NorCal randoms but we're not terribad. Also, directly after the MM I get bodied by Bizzaro. But I don't let that bug me too much.

http://www.twitch.tv/sheen_/b/369294964

Edit: Also, count me among those who need to learn to mash b.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, you don't. Approaching marth is bad news. You have to walk/dashdance/wavedash around til he throws out a move. Then you have to quickly assess if you have time to punish said move and then approach with a WD -> anything.

Marth's sword is just bad news to any head on approach.

On FD in general WD -> Ftilt / Dsmash / Usmash / Jab / Grab are bread & butter.

Top Bottom