• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Radiant Hero of Legend: Ike Thread

Who do you expect to voice Ike?

• Jason Adkins (Original voice)

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Greg Chun (Heroes)

Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
That was something he had in Brawl but was removed in smash 4. In Ultimate, the entire downwards portion of aether seems to spike again.

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
Does anyone have any info yet on how to unlock him?

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
I'm sure you can just play world of light. I doubt it will be too tedious; even in smash 4 characters were easy to unlock. Honestly, I'm hoping I don't unlock everyone in such a short time span like the previous game.

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
I'm sure you can just play world of light. I doubt it will be too tedious; even in smash 4 characters were easy to unlock. Honestly, I'm hoping I don't unlock everyone in such a short time span like the previous game.
I have a feeling it's going to be easy to unlock characters due to there being so many of them, and Nintendo in recent history loves to make things easy.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Apparently, there is a flowchart graphic someone created for unlocking characters via Classic mode.

https://i.imgur.com/JwZNUgx.jpg

If what this flowchart says is true, then to unlock Ike...

1. Complete Classic mode as Mario to unlock Sonic, or Pokémon Trainer. In this case, pray for Sonic.
2. Complete Classic mode as Sonic to unlock Bayonetta.
3. Complete Classic mode as Bayonetta to unlock Little Mac, Dr. Mario, or Pichu. In this case, pray for Little Mac.
4. Complete Classic mode as Little Mac and pray that the first character you unlock is Ike.

Of course, World of Light and VS matches are alternate unlocking options as well.

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
Apparently, there is a flowchart graphic someone created for unlocking characters via Classic mode.

https://i.imgur.com/JwZNUgx.jpg

If what this flowchart says is true, then to unlock Ike...

1. Complete Classic mode as Mario to unlock Sonic, or Pokémon Trainer. In this case, pray for Sonic.
2. Complete Classic mode as Sonic to unlock Bayonetta.
3. Complete Classic mode as Bayonetta to unlock Little Mac, Dr. Mario, or Pichu. In this case, pray for Little Mac.
4. Complete Classic mode as Little Mac and pray that the first character you unlock is Ike.

Of course, World of Light and VS matches are alternate unlocking options as well.
So it looks like Classic might be the quickest route. Don't know anything about WoL yet, been trying to avoid it. We'll just have to wait and see in the next couple of days I guess.

AfroShinobii

Smash Rookie
I like his new win quotes. I wonder if they are different based on alts or if they're all the same.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So it looks like Classic might be the quickest route. Don't know anything about WoL yet, been trying to avoid it. We'll just have to wait and see in the next couple of days I guess.
As far as I know, Sonic and Little Mac are the first unlocks by said characters and the order is set, so it should be a straight-shot down the list to Ike, which I'm personally pretty happy about.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Y'know, Ike's weird, hunched idle stance in Brawl and Sm4sh prevented me from noticing until now, but... Now that his idle stance is confident and upright it occurs to me, is this possibly intended to be a refined version of his goofy, one handed sword held over his head Ranger stance from PoR? Like, it's still a bit strange and unconventional for a sword stance but then that makes sense if it originated from his untrained, amateurish posture.

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Y'know, Ike's weird, hunched idle stance in Brawl and Sm4sh prevented me from noticing until now, but... Now that his idle stance is confident and upright it occurs to me, is this possibly intended to be a refined version of his goofy, one handed sword held over his head Ranger stance from PoR? Like, it's still a bit strange and unconventional for a sword stance but then that makes sense if it originated from his untrained, amateurish posture.
I think so, I like it! The more similarities he has to his original games the better.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I kinda preferred his older one.
It felt like he was more in a combat stance while the new one, while more canon to PoR Ranger Ike, feels like he's more posturing than ready for battle. His left hand just kinda stays down there.

Plus his jab and grab comes out from the waist now and that's kinda jank.

I actually wished it was more like his render with the arm stretched across the length of the blade.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Something more combat ready would be ideal, but Ike as a Lord, Hero, or Vanguard always held his blade and stood his ground confidently. I always thought his more brutish animations in Smash didn't match the Ike we knew and giving him a more confident posture suits him better.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Well, I still have a LOT of practice left to get used to the controls in this game. Having such low lag on landing takes some getting used to, and being in disadvantage is certainly a lot harder to get out of with just one, horribly laggy airdodge at your disposal. A few things I feel are at least a little noteworthy...

- The tilt attack stick seems to have made it impossible to do retreating SH C-stick aerials? Inputting an SH Fair or Bair with the C-stick also inputs a directional input, shifting the player quite noticeably?
- Bair's hitbox seems worse? I don't think it covers Ike's body like the old one did, it isn't very reliable at close range and frequently just whiffs there. Perhaps the hitbox was moved higher, or maybe it's the tilt stick thing throwing off my aim...
-Not only does Aether indeed spike for the entirety of the descent... but it seems to kill the opponent first! Turned an accidental SD into a victory at one point by spiking one unlucky opponent close to the bottom of the stage, and intentional Aethercides at ledge height also ended before losing my stock. Even gives the death lightning for added insult to injury.
- Counter's added endlag on the attack is quite noticeable. Can't quite go as deep as we used to be able for offstage counter shenanigans.
- I haven't had Quick Draw do any annoying whiffs yet. Fingers crossed it's fixed.
- Did anyone ever note before that Eruption's sparkle effect now visibly travels down Ragnell's blade as it charges, reaching full power when it reaches the tip? Because it does. Also, the move takes an awful long time to even gain the second plume, nearly full charge... I'm not hopeful about it being very useful to us.

- ...Sweet mother of Mary, Hero Ike's new star KO scream is nightmare-inducing. That poor man is in ANGUISH.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Played Ike in Brawl and was pretty competitive with him back then. Never picked up Smash4, because I didn't own a WiiU. However, I'm looking forward to running with Ike as a second or third main in Ultimate. Thinking of a lineup with Cloud/Joker/Ike. But guys like Ken and Snake will also be considered. Nice to see san. san. is still around.

Also surprised my signature still works.

Might be changing my username down the road as well. I imagine not many folks from Brawl still hang around here.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Here's the most important information on Ike he still has "I Fight for my Friends" on his Radiant Dawn costume and "You'll get No Sympathy from Me" on his Path of Radiance costume.

Stealth309

Smash Apprentice
Well, I still have a LOT of practice left to get used to the controls in this game. Having such low lag on landing takes some getting used to, and being in disadvantage is certainly a lot harder to get out of with just one, horribly laggy airdodge at your disposal. A few things I feel are at least a little noteworthy...

- The tilt attack stick seems to have made it impossible to do retreating SH C-stick aerials? Inputting an SH Fair or Bair with the C-stick also inputs a directional input, shifting the player quite noticeably?
- Bair's hitbox seems worse? I don't think it covers Ike's body like the old one did, it isn't very reliable at close range and frequently just whiffs there. Perhaps the hitbox was moved higher, or maybe it's the tilt stick thing throwing off my aim...
-Not only does Aether indeed spike for the entirety of the descent... but it seems to kill the opponent first! Turned an accidental SD into a victory at one point by spiking one unlucky opponent close to the bottom of the stage, and intentional Aethercides at ledge height also ended before losing my stock. Even gives the death lightning for added insult to injury.
- Counter's added endlag on the attack is quite noticeable. Can't quite go as deep as we used to be able for offstage counter shenanigans.
- I haven't had Quick Draw do any annoying whiffs yet. Fingers crossed it's fixed.
- Did anyone ever note before that Eruption's sparkle effect now visibly travels down Ragnell's blade as it charges, reaching full power when it reaches the tip? Because it does. Also, the move takes an awful long time to even gain the second plume, nearly full charge... I'm not hopeful about it being very useful to us.

- ...Sweet mother of Mary, Hero Ike's new star KO scream is nightmare-inducing. That poor man is in ANGUISH.
It was that way in Smash 4 as well. You couldn't do a retreating f-air with the c-stick; it would stop your backwards momentum right in its tracks.

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158

Things I've noticed:

-Aether combos out of down throw against a lot of the characters. Also Aether definitely kills opponents first. It has very high base knockback.
-Back air is slightly stronger.I cannot short-hop back air anyone, no matter how tall! I think I'm just bad.
-Down tilt MIGHT have less range, it sure feels like it, but like I said I'm bad.
-Down smash kills pretty early now, especially the back hit. Forward smash is also stronger.
-Forward tilt is a very strong kill move now. Up tilt is a lot weaker =(
- it is very hard to pivot F tilt unless you have c stick set to tilt attacks.
-Counter has oodles of end lag and feels weaker? I wish I could confirm these things.
- Up air is good/powerful, but it is kind of slow. It can hit grounded enemies if reversed, but the front of the hit box comes out too slowly for an effective approach.

Over all he feels pretty good, still getting used to the movement though. The game is much faster paced.

Last edited:

Stealth309

Smash Apprentice
Questions for everyone:

Does Ike feel like he plays differently, mechanically and/or playstyle-wise?

Are your initial impressions here better or about the same as your initial Smash 4 impressions of him?

Are online win-loss records kept track of anywhere?

At what heighth does Quick Draw autocancel?

Last edited:

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
You can play much more aggressive which is nice, his neutral air is amazing. Unfortunately, I do not have online...just been playing with friends. Quick draw cancels at the same height as smash 4 I believe.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It was that way in Smash 4 as well. You couldn't do a retreating f-air with the c-stick; it would stop your backwards momentum right in its tracks.
It was like that if you had smash stick on, but tilt stick allowed you to move backwards fine. Now tilt stick seems to force movement on SH. Furthermore, didn't trying to do retreating SH aerial with smash stick in 4 still make you throw out the aerial without moving forwards or backwards, nothing like the noticeable movement here? We can do diagonal side attacks with the stick now, so that's something, but the motion makes things feel a lot... Stickier?

Counter is still as strong as it was before, I think, scoring kills off of flimsy hits like getup attacks at the ledge.

I think I'm currently having a bit of growing pains adjusting to the new mechanics. I get we can dash into anything now but I'm not sure how to make use of that without running straight into other, more agile characters' approaches.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ike feels REALLY good.

However, getting used to this new ****?
a pain in my butt.

Stealth309

Smash Apprentice
It was like that if you had smash stick on, but tilt stick allowed you to move backwards fine. Now tilt stick seems to force movement on SH. Furthermore, didn't trying to do retreating SH aerial with smash stick in 4 still make you throw out the aerial without moving forwards or backwards, nothing like the noticeable movement here? We can do diagonal side attacks with the stick now, so that's something, but the motion makes things feel a lot... Stickier?

Counter is still as strong as it was before, I think, scoring kills off of flimsy hits like getup attacks at the ledge.

I think I'm currently having a bit of growing pains adjusting to the new mechanics. I get we can dash into anything now but I'm not sure how to make use of that without running straight into other, more agile characters' approaches.
Damn...so c-sticking aerials actually makes you move in that direction???

Spacing might be a bit tough this time 'round.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Yeah. Only buffered SH aerials appear to actually shift you in a direction, but outside of those it's behaving like smash stick did in the last game.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Im really disappointed about this effecting our momentum. This could have been a big quality of life change or even a must-change

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My thumbs are physically incapable of getting Short hop nair.

Every other SH feels like a coinflip between a full and short hop.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
My thumbs are physically incapable of getting Short hop nair.

Every other SH feels like a coinflip between a full and short hop.
Basically I use the new shortcut of pressing jump and "a" at the same time. I was never really that good at performing SH's the old fashioned way as the jump button always seemed so sensitive. I never had consistent results despite having the same timing.

Arrei

Smash Lord
The shortcut is fine if you want to throw out the hitbox as soon as possible but you can't do FF SH aerials like that so one still needs the manual inputs. Especially since an immediate SH Bair will totally whiff on anyone around or below Mario's height. Unfortunately I too find it pretty difficult to reliably get the input in the heat of battle.

More miscellany:

- Did Utilt always have a hurtbox on Ike's arm? For an anti-air move on a disjoint character it seems really bizarre that he can get hit there.
- On the topic of Utilt, its new animation has shifted its hitbox forward, so it's a bit longer, but also doesn't cover his body as well anymore. I keep using it expecting that tiny back hitbox to still be there, but alas...
- Did Aether lose vertical height at all? Even if only in the snap range? I feel like I'm getting a lot of near misses on those.
- On that note, from whacking the waiting room clones, it seems like Aether may not auto-lose to counters as easily. The spin portion is still totally vulnerable but countering the dummy's descent missed more often than not, and a Roy's counter failed to land when the spin was positioned just a little too high.

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Magnet hands are smaller than Smash 4, so that's probably why you're missing the ledge with Aether.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I figure it's worth reposting here in case anyone missed it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosU...ou_can_improve_your_internet_connection_with/

It's a small sample size, but so far it seems like my input lag has been noticeably reduced in multiple matches across three opponents. I got a bit of screen lag against the latter two opponents, but I'm not sure if there's a correlation yet.

To make this post Ike-related, I ****ing love his new UAir.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ah dammit.

Guys, any tips on SH Nair?
I've been using the new shortcut method since the old-fashioned way is kinda inconsistent.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Nothin' for it but to practice, I think. It was easier to do in 4 when you used a character with longer jumpsquat like Ike, so there's probably still a lot of old muscle memory to work out. I still need to get used to the new fastfall Bair timing with its new hitbox myself, gotta delay the Bair input for just a moment now since it just swings at nothing when I use my Sm4sh muscle memory.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Nothin' for it but to practice, I think. It was easier to do in 4 when you used a character with longer jumpsquat like Ike, so there's probably still a lot of old muscle memory to work out. I still need to get used to the new fastfall Bair timing with its new hitbox.
Yeah I keep missing my insta-backairs.
Feels like I'll be inside the opponent and it'll just wiff sometimes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
God I love the differences between the two Ikes.
Here's some I've spotted so far (PoR vs RD)

Sword Stab victory pose
"I submit to no one" vs "I must move forward"
Sword swing victory pose
"Your skills are quite remarkable" vs "Don't get in my way"
Aether victory pose
"You'll get no sympathy from me" vs "I fight for my friends."

Also for his counter it's
"Gotcha!" vs "Amateur!"

Either way they're both pretty damn badass.

Top Bottom