• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Radiant Hero of Legend: Ike Thread

Who do you expect to voice Ike?

• Jason Adkins (Original voice)

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Greg Chun (Heroes)

Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Question guys, does Ike still have the Black Knight costume? Cause the Black Knight could become Ike's Echo if he's not.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Which are the Ultimate!Ike's Colors and what do you think they're referencing?
Eh, someone on smashwiki already did em pretty well. Though I think the blue one's more a reference to Seliph than Sigurd.
Ike Colors.png

Roberk

Smash Champion
Eh, someone on smashwiki already did em pretty well. Though I think the blue one's more a reference to Seliph than Sigurd.
View attachment 157573
Seliph has a white headband, it's also not a bandana like Ike's.
The palette also fits Sigurd's Primary White/Secondary Blue.
I thought they'd keep it on RD Ike though since that fits Sigurd's build more, maybe it's a mix between Seliph and Sigurd.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I swear I need to play some Fire Emblem for once so I don't feel left out whenever I hear about characters I've never seen before. Or maybe I should watch walkthroughs.

If I can't buy an FE game, what should I do? Would watching walkthroughs be good?

Roberk

Smash Champion
I swear I need to play some Fire Emblem for once so I don't feel left out whenever I hear about characters I've never seen before. Or maybe I should watch walkthroughs.

If I can't buy an FE game, what should I do? Would watching walkthroughs be good?
If you can't buy one, just emulate one.

FE7 (Blazing Sword, Just "Fire Emblem" in the West), FE8 (Sacred Stones), and FE11 (Shadow Dragon) are all on the Wii U Virtual Console. FE7 and FE8 are great starting points due to their relatively easy difficulty and getting you used to the basic mechanics. FE8 has grinding, making it even easier. FE11 Isn't as good as the GBA games (overall one of the weakest entries in the series) but it has Marth if you want to know more about him.

Awakening, Fates, and Shadow of Valentia are on the 3DS. Awakening is one of the best starting points due to its relatively easy difficulty and getting you used to the basic mechanics. It's also good for getting you used to Robin, Lucina, and Chrom. Fates Birthright is the second-best 3DS starting point due to its relatively easy difficulty. I wouldn't recommend Fates Conquest or Shadows of Valentia as starting points since both are hard and SOV is designed much differently than every other FE. Fates, in general, will just give you a false idea of the stories and characterization in FE games, so that's why I recommend Awakening more. Awakening, Fates Birthright, and Shadows of Valentia have grinding.

Fire Emblem Heroes is also a great starting point if you want to just dip your toes into the basic gameplay. It will also introduce you to some of the most notable characters from every game. It's also free and on your phone, it's by far the most accessible game. It's not a real FE though, it's just a mobile game.

If you want to know about Roy and Ike, Roy's game is Japan exclusive so you'll have to emulate it (it's also the weakest of the GBA games), while Ike's first game goes for hundreds of dollars on Ebay.

Iridium

Smash Hero
If you can't buy one, just emulate one.

FE7 (Blazing Sword, Just "Fire Emblem" in the West), FE8 (Sacred Stones), and FE11 (Shadow Dragon) are all on the Wii U Virtual Console. FE7 and FE8 are great starting points due to their relatively easy difficulty and getting you used to the basic mechanics. FE8 has grinding, making it even easier. FE11 Isn't as good as the GBA games (overall one of the weakest entries in the series) but it has Marth if you want to know more about him.

Awakening, Fates, and Shadow of Valentia are on the 3DS. Awakening is one of the best starting points due to its relatively easy difficulty and getting you used to the basic mechanics. It's also good for getting you used to Robin, Lucina, and Chrom. Fates Birthright is the second-best 3DS starting point due to its relatively easy difficulty. I wouldn't recommend Fates Conquest or Shadows of Valentia as starting points since both are hard and SOV is designed much differently than every other FE. Fates, in general, will just give you a false idea of the stories and characterization in FE games, so that's why I recommend Awakening more. Awakening, Fates Birthright, and Shadows of Valentia have grinding.

Fire Emblem Heroes is also a great starting point if you want to just dip your toes into the basic gameplay. It will also introduce you to some of the most notable characters from every game. It's also free and on your phone, it's by far the most accessible game. It's not a real FE though, it's just a mobile game.

If you want to know about Roy and Ike, Roy's game is Japan exclusive so you'll have to emulate it (it's also the weakest of the GBA games), while Ike's first game goes for hundreds of dollars on Ebay.
Hmmm, well, I do have a 3DS, so I guess I have to go for any of the three games there first. Thanks!

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Hmmm, well, I do have a 3DS, so I guess I have to go for any of the three games there first. Thanks!
Ike's games(or the "Tellius games")are worth a play through too even though they are on two different systems. They were allegedly the "final FE games" before Awakening came out as a "final final attempt at making FE look good in the West." They have solid writing(but it is debated), has a good array of likeable characters that aren't common archetypes you'd find in a shonen anime. In the first game, it does a good job with its world lore and showing Ike's growth as a backwoods mercenary's sheltered kid with the fate of his home nation forced onto his shoulders, despite its rather cliche/cheesy presentation at times. The sequel has a stronger progressing narrative and does a nice job setting a dire mood of a looming world war but it is one of the hardest FEs.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Ike's games(or the "Tellius games")are worth a play through too even though they are on two different systems. They were allegedly the "final FE games" before Awakening came out as a "final final attempt at making FE look good in the West." They have solid writing but it is heavily debated, but have a good array of likeable characters that aren't common archetypes you'd find in a shonen anime. In the first game, it does a good job with its world lore and showing Ike's growth as a backwoods mercenary's sheltered kid with the fate of his home nation forced onto his shoulders, despite its rather cliche/cheesy presentation at times. The sequel has a stronger progressing narrative and does a nice job setting a dire mood of a looming world war but it is one of the hardest FEs.
I wish I could, but I don't have enough money at this point, and I guess the 3DS games are a bit more affordable. You think Shadow of Valentia is good, right?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Seliph has a white headband, it's also not a bandana like Ike's.
The palette also fits Sigurd's Primary White/Secondary Blue.
I thought they'd keep it on RD Ike though since that
I wish I could, but I don't have enough money at this point, and I guess the 3DS games are a bit more affordable. You think Shadow of Valentia is good, right?
Em
U
Late

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
FE Echoes? It's pretty good. It's a remake of a FE game that never made it to the West. It's also the first game to have near-full/full VA and it delivers in its quality.

As for being able to play the Tellius games(Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn), there is always emulation. I personally recommend "Fire Emblem" for the GBA if you want a strong entry that is friendly and easy enough for beginners.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Awakening is by far the most newbie-friendly entry to the series, but its merit as an actual FE game is hotly debated among fans due to its writing and gameplay. It is nonetheless the best place to start, but although you are free to play it as you wish, I would heavily recommend playing on the classic permadeath setting, and not just for reasons of "muh hardcore gamings". FE is a series carried on the backs of its cast of characters, and I find the looming shadow of permadeath makes you that much more invested in protecting them and seeing them as characters rather than expendable cannon fodder, to the point I reset a chapter if a comrade falls in combat.

After Awakening, try Echoes or FE7.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
FE Echoes? It's pretty good. It's a remake of a FE game that never made it to the West. It's also the first game to have near-full/full VA and it delivers in its quality.

As for being able to play the Tellius games(Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn), there is always emulation. I personally recommend "Fire Emblem" for the GBA if you want a strong entry that is friendly and easy enough for beginners.
and also has Lyn.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Awakening's art was respectable but the gameplay was very bad! Maps were repetitive, support system had poor balance it was too op as you progress, breeding felt like a bad pokemon, difficulty and gamedesign were a joke, we moved people and pretended to be playing a strategy game. I favour the old linear fire emblem with great levels, I havent played all but fire emblem 7 is a good start then sealed sword then radiant dawn then playing last two on hard mode is a great experience. Elibe and tellius had the best characters I think. Radiant dawn's story was a bit try hard but I liked its ambition on extreme, it had flaws but still a fantastic game with many memorable missions. Elibe characters are closer to new fire emblem characters but better, so minimal but in a great way, dramatic and cheesy en pointe I like it. I couldnt like new fire emblem after that. I couldnt pick up new fire emblem and those weird skins. We had sexy women but they didnt wear armor yet showing breasts(even close to the camera!) we had gays(even a main lord!) and they didnt say cheesily hmm I love him, they showed their story and emotions naturally. I dont think dlc and this system works well with fire emblem, my dream fire emblem is linear, well designed with different dynamics, fairly difficult, very long very big thick and ambitious.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Sorry if this has already been brought up before, but I felt the need to say this. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I think Ike's purple alt represents Katarina, since she sports an overall purple attire with a plum colored scarf. I'm not too good with colors, so it might be more of a boysenberry colored scarf. Or sangria. Or mulberry. Point being, the alt shares a similar set of colors to Katarina. I don't know why they would reference her though. They're not even in the same game. Chances are I'm overthinking this and it's nothing more than a mere coincidence. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Ike's blue alt is referencing Sigurd, and they're not from the same game either. He also used to have a Chrom alt in Smash 4, and they're also not from the same game.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Well sure, but what do Ike and Katarina possibly have in common? Ike, Sigurd, and Marth are all classified as Lords whereas Katarina is not. And they all wield swords as well, whereas Katarina does not.

You know, it's strange, I'm the one who brought up the similarity in costume color, why am I trying to disprove it?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Well sure, but what do Ike and Katarina possibly have in common? Ike, Sigurd, and Marth are all classified as Lords whereas Katarina is not. And they all wield swords as well, whereas Katarina does not.

You know, it's strange, I'm the one who brought up the similarity in costume color, why am I trying to disprove it?
Well, Lucina does have costumes based on other Awakening Characters like Tharja, Lissa, Cordelia, Sumia, Cherche, Nowi and Tiki. Yet it does make sense as they are all from the same game.
Anyways, it may be a coincidence, it may not, I sure don't know though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's a shame Ike didn't have colors based on the Greil Mercenaries.

I would've totally rocked the Titania color

Arrei

Smash Lord
Yeah, although the color scheme does match Katarina's, I just can't think of any substantial links that would lead to a Katarina color. She wasn't a Lord or a mercenary, and none of the other characters have a color that references someone of the opposite gender.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Not sure that skills would have been easy to incorporate into his moves, or any of the FE cast's. Most of them are passive effects, auras, or random chance things. The best I can come up with is something like making Guard or Nihil a custom variant of Counter, wherein he simply negates the attack and can move immediately, like a worse version of Witch Time.

ssbKingKoopa

Smash Rookie
Cant wait to see what they got in store for Ike in Ultimate, considering in Sm4sh his neutral B seemed to have gotten a slight improvement as far as edgeguarding goes.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
My only complaint is aether. The move is outright epic but only usable to recover and it is bad at it. Maybe give it really good damage+some healing so that we can use it to catch enemies above. Slow laggy and low knockback but super armor with 25% damage and 10% healing out of a full combo wouldnt be op. It should be an option if not a high risk high reward one onstage. Or give us full superarmor, a guaranteed ledge grab.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My only complaint is aether. The move is outright epic but only usable to recover and it is bad at it. Maybe give it really good damage+some healing so that we can use it to catch enemies above. Slow laggy and low knockback but super armor with 25% damage and 10% healing out of a full combo wouldnt be op. It should be an option if not a high risk high reward one onstage. Or give us full superarmor, a guaranteed ledge grab.
I'd also appreciate if we could grab the ledge even if our back was toward the ledge.

Oh, and having the Luna part of the Aether move as an optional B input would be nice.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One way to improve Aether is to give it better hitbox placements during the start-up. Also, enabling the sword hitbox to autolink aerial targets would help, but if it rehits every frame, the damage output per hit would have to be low to keep the attack from being too good with the damage building.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Hoo boy, they better adjust his knockback values before release. At 1:04, he can't kill Link with a bair almost from the middle of the stage, and at 1:23, he can't kill Link at 146% with a fair on the edge (!!!). At least he can change direction during Aether, someone probably pointed that out already, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKwKjvtxpJw

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
If I remember correctly the PoR Ike "Purple/Red" color shall simply resemble an "enemy" Unit for FE but I am not sure about that one and the red one is a reference to Zelgius I guess.
Can't wait to have my good old Sigurd PoR Ike back <3

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Hmm, that Fair knockback does concern me greatly, especially since StylesX2 recently showed Mega Man, of all characters, is now able to kill pretty early with his own Fair, which was previously saddled with laughably weak knockback.

That being said... his Nair seems to be linking into combos at all percents, and near the end of the video, Ike almost kills Link with a Nair into Uair at 85% combo, and the Nair wasn't even SHed to reduce its power. Obviously we have no idea if that was a true combo, but that could be pretty huge, and might also be the reason the horizontal options don't kill as easily if Nair is a deadly kill confirm now. (My gut says it's true, because Ike took extra long to throw out the Uair, with a seemingly unnecessary double jump before the attack as if he was expecting Link to go higher up than he actually did.)

Also I really gotta say, Ike is looking real fine now. I always thought his weird slouchy stance looked awkward, but now he looks every bit the accomplished fighter he's meant to be.

Last edited:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Bair is now very spammable so I can live with that knockback, but fair not killing above 150 in mid stage is concerning to me.

in the next video against bayonetta, he definitely recieved knockback buffs to his forward smash and up smash though

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bair is now very spammable so I can live with that knockback, but fair not killing above 150 in mid stage is concerning to me.

in the next video against bayonetta, he definitely recieved knockback buffs to his forward smash and up smash though
Not like FSmash is ever gonna hit tho, lol

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Hoo boy, they better adjust his knockback values before release. At 1:04, he can't kill Link with a bair almost from the middle of the stage, and at 1:23, he can't kill Link at 146% with a fair on the edge (!!!). At least he can change direction during Aether, someone probably pointed that out already, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKwKjvtxpJw
I'm not sure if anyone has clarified the matter in either direction, but I'm pretty certain Link is still a heavyweight in Ultimate. It's difficult to kill him at high percents no matter who it is you're using to fight him. If such is still the case ( I have no reason or evidence to believe otherwise), the lack of a definite kill move here isn't an issue specific to Ike. Link is just heckin' hard to kill.

After all, at about 1:44 of that very video, Ike demonstrates how well Fair still edge guards and snubs Link's recovery at 50%. Another thing to note starting at 1:40 is Ike uses only 5 attacks to put Link at 50%!

Even further in the video at 2:30, Ike lands a "deathblow" on Link at about 85%. It doesn't kill because good DI and Link's weight. Raw uncharged Usmash does the trick, however. We can't judge if a move is bad or not since we have to weigh all factors as knockback is among the trickier formulas in Smash's programming. How heavy is Link? How far from the blast zone is he? How stale is Fair or Bair? (Remember, attacks now stale on shields)

We can't judge it by "He didn't kill so-&-so at such-&-such percent so it's a bad move now."

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'd totally forgotten about the staling on shields part. That actually explains a lot - that Fair that connected at 140% at the edge was being staled by as many as five Fairs, several of which were blocked.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if anyone has clarified the matter in either direction, but I'm pretty certain Link is still a heavyweight in Ultimate. It's difficult to kill him at high percents no matter who it is you're using to fight him. If such is still the case ( I have no reason or evidence to believe otherwise), the lack of a definite kill move here isn't an issue specific to Ike. Link is just heckin' hard to kill.

After all, at about 1:44 of that very video, Ike demonstrates how well Fair still edge guards and snubs Link's recovery at 50%. Another thing to note starting at 1:40 is Ike uses only 5 attacks to put Link at 50%!

Even further in the video at 2:30, Ike lands a "deathblow" on Link at about 85%. It doesn't kill because good DI and Link's weight. Raw uncharged Usmash does the trick, however. We can't judge if a move is bad or not since we have to weigh all factors as knockback is among the trickier formulas in Smash's programming. How heavy is Link? How far from the blast zone is he? How stale is Fair or Bair? (Remember, attacks now stale on shields)

We can't judge it by "He didn't kill so-&-so at such-&-such percent so it's a bad move now."
I never said the move was bad, but it's absurd that the move doesn't kill Link on the edge at almost 150% judging from its animation.

Top Bottom