• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Radiant Hero of Legend: Ike Thread

Who do you expect to voice Ike?

• Jason Adkins (Original voice)

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Greg Chun (Heroes)

Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters

Arrei

Smash Lord
Hmm... is that suggesting the swing is out for a longer period of time? Or is the hitbox the same and it's purely a visual tweak that led to this? Here's hoping Nair's tweaked attributes make up for the loss, then, if they purposely intended to remove the autocancel. There's no telling what they might (or might not) adjust before release.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
No AC F-air anymore? My heart just dropped. I have faith in his other tweaks, but I strongly appreciated AC f-air in Smash 4.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
M Moderator
By any chance, could you help change the poll. Given we now know Greg Chun voices him in ultimate, I'd rather the poll be something a little more fun. How about "Which costume of do you plan to use the most?" Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I'm glad his sword seems to have girth now. Ragnell in Smash 4 looked paper thin.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
It looks like they changed Ike's grounded backward jump from a backflip to a regular jump.
https://youtu.be/5eaW0PzBL-M?t=150

Personally, this is a huge change for me. I may be the only guy in the world who misses the backflip, but it made Ike look so fast. The backflip shifted Ike's hitbox so that he can flip over projectiles or low-mid height attacks and immediately retaliate with a bair. If you've ever done it before, it looks really cool.

Regardless, I look forward to playing the Radiant Hero once again! I love everything else they did with him.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It looks like they changed Ike's grounded backward jump from a backflip to a regular jump.
https://youtu.be/5eaW0PzBL-M?t=150

Personally, this is a huge change for me. I may be the only guy in the world who misses the backflip, but it made Ike looked so fast. The backflip shifted Ike's hitbox so that he can flip over projectiles or low-mid height attacks and immediately retaliate with a bair. If you've ever done it before, it looks really cool.

Regardless, I look forward to playing the Radiant Hero once again! I love everything else they did with him.
It could simply be that he jumped moving forward up a little bit before steering him back. Or maybe Ike's unfinished?
I'm definitely gonna miss that blackflip if it's gone. I used it so much to waste time after performing a star-KO.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'd almost forgotten... I'm not really happy Ike still has his criminally slow Fsmash. I hope they've made that thing more viable with the lag reductions they've been doing across the board.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
I doubt they're going to change his fsmash very much in terms of frame data. I think most of the people who complain about that move is from casual players who do a lot of FFA. I'm hoping that the move would get a massive buff in damage and knockback from the 1v1 modifier.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Gonna say, I've grown fond of his new idle pose. I didn't like it so much at first, but I like it a lot now.

It's like an advanced version of his idle pose from Path of Radiance:

It has that hint of the experience Ike has received from his years in war, as his sword is lowered more and and his left arm is still hung loosely at his side, but he also stands up straight. He clearly looks relaxed on the battlefield. He's probably more relaxed on the battlefield than anywhere else.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly,
Gonna say, I've grown fond of his new idle pose. I didn't like it so much at first, but I like it a lot now.

It's like an advanced version of his idle pose from Path of Radiance:

It has that hint of the experience Ike has received from his years in war, as his sword is lowered more and and his left arm is still hung loosely at his side, but he also stands up straight. He clearly looks relaxed on the battlefield. He's probably more relaxed on the battlefield than anywhere else.
I still like it for referencing PoR, but I also really liked 4's incarnation because his arm didn't look so inactive.

It's better than RD's actual idle where he's kinda just standing there though with Ragnell to his side fore sure though.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Honestly,

I still like it for referencing PoR, but I also really liked 4's incarnation because his arm didn't look so inactive.

It's better than RD's actual idle where he's kinda just standing there though with Ragnell to his side fore sure though.
For comparison's sake:

And then there's his Lord stance from PoR:

The hand on the hip really gives it that sort of sassy vibe that a confident practitioner of swordsmanship would have.

Does it seem that his new stance is a sort of mixture of all of them to a degree?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For comparison's sake:

And then there's his Lord stance from PoR:

The hand on the hip really gives it that sort of sassy vibe that a confident practitioner of swordsmanship would have.

Does it seem that his new stance is a sort of mixture of all of them to a degree?
Yeah certainly. It's not Greil style dead, but it's also not "I don't even NEED my left hand to beat you."

For why I like 4 more though, I dunno, I guess it gave him this sense of visual symmetry. So even though he's not supporting the blade with his offhand, it kinda feels like it has more stability? Also, his jab combo and grab look so much better when Ike already has his hand in the perfect position to deliver a quick jab or reach out and grab someone.

Honestly, the way he holds it in his new render is probably my favorite "Ike stance"

Knees bent, sword pointed at an aggressive angle, and left hand out open-handed to steady the blade and perform any necessary actions to supplement his sword.
But he doesn't actually ever use said stance...

Last edited:

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
What the heck happened to our throw combos?

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Yeah not too worried about u-throw honestly. Seems like a universal change (Mario and Bowser for instance). He's looking good regardless.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
So, lately I couldn't help but notice how Greg's been voicing our boy.

https://youtu.be/wwFFViaIIYI?t=133

I definitely like "Gotcha!" over "You're open!" in delivery and as a quick line. However, I failed to find the video where his voice is much more audible but I do recall his "Aether!" going to take time to get used to, imo.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Right, so I got bad-ish ears, so can someone tell me the difference between PoR Ike's voice and RD Ike's voice because from the trailer the "Prepare yourself"s sound almost identical.

I can definitely hear a difference in the Japanese voice though, goes from 15 year old to 51 year old, yeesh

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike is definitely gonna be played again by me yet again! Am totally in for another run of the greatest mercanary leader in fictional history <3

Troykv

Smash Master
Right, so I got bad-ish ears, so can someone tell me the difference between PoR Ike's voice and RD Ike's voice because from the trailer the "Prepare yourself"s sound almost identical.

I can definitely hear a difference in the Japanese voice though, goes from 15 year old to 51 year old, yeesh
It's a small difference, I think the deepness just varies a bit.

Yeah, with Michihiko the difference is actually clear xDU

Arrei

Smash Lord
The difference was chiefly in the delivery, as far as I could tell.

There shouldn't actually be THAT much difference, there were only three years in between PoR and RD.

Last edited:

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I'm happy Ike's Smash4 appearance is still in the game as a costume. I would have been sad to lose it completely. I know it's not as popular in Japan as it is in the west, but it just feels right for his playstyle, imo.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Ive heard roys first chapters theme in his video, also lucina had her best map theme so I am glad that they are capturing more nostalgic map themes. I really want a remix for bearer of hope from radiant dawn(and roy's courage if possible). Those chapters were the most memorable ones I played and these cheery-menacing themes made them more epic. Smash wii u added one song for radiant dawn ike which even wasnt a remix.

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
So, lately I couldn't help but notice how Greg's been voicing our boy.

https://youtu.be/wwFFViaIIYI?t=133

I definitely like "Gotcha!" over "You're open!" in delivery and as a quick line. However, I failed to find the video where his voice is much more audible but I do recall his "Aether!" going to take time to get used to, imo.
They had that line in Brawl, too, but it wasn't used. It was brought back in PM, though. I'm glad they actually put it in the game this time.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm excited about our new faster looking Ike although I am sad that it looks like uthrow doesn't combo really anymore, but it's still early and they're still developing the game, who knows we may still have it.

I'm just thinking about the new dash mechanics and our dtilt, it might be really good.

Also late but, I very much do like that we can pick both PoR or RD Ike considering both designs are great, and people have preferences in terms of which one they prefer be it, from the games itself or the way Ike looks.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
They had that line in Brawl, too, but it wasn't used. It was brought back in PM, though. I'm glad they actually put it in the game this time.
Yeah, I was kinda bummed they didn't bring use the "Gotcha" line in Sm4sh, despite Marth and Lucina having multiple counter lines themselves, and Project M even using it.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was kinda bummed they didn't bring use the "Gotcha" line in Sm4sh, despite Marth and Lucina having multiple counter lines themselves, and Project M even using it.
Likely because his Smash 4 voice was just recycled from Brawl and thus nothing new got recorded or changed. One of the reasons I was hopeful for Greg Chun to voice Ike was to see if there would be a new line or two for a change of pace.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Likely because his Smash 4 voice was just recycled from Brawl and thus nothing new got recorded or changed. One of the reasons I was hopeful for Greg Chun to voice Ike was to see if there would be a new line or two for a change of pace.
Honestly Greg was our best buff among the several we seem to have gotten.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Honestly Greg was our best buff among the several we seem to have gotten.
Personally, I had hoped Jason was going to stay because the original voice fit Ike so well. (Well, I believe he fit RD Ike to a T)

However, as far as replacement voices go, Greg is THE BEST for Ike's role. (He doesn't sound like Jason, but he certainly sounds like Ike if you get my meaning. He also does PoR Ike better than Jason.) I only hope that there's a greater variance in his costume-specific lines like there is in FEH. At least, just enough to audibly discern which version of Ike is being played. Because I'll primarily be sticking with the RD variant.

Comparison Sake:

Path of Radiance (Young Voice)

Radiant Dawn (Older Voice)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
God, English Ike is so softspoken and then you get to Japan and his voice drops off the deep-end with how deep it is.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Personally, I had hoped Jason was going to stay because the original voice fit Ike so well. (Well, I believe he fit RD Ike to a T)

However, as far as replacement voices go, Greg is THE BEST for Ike's role. (He doesn't sound like Jason, but he certainly sounds like Ike if you get my meaning. He also does PoR Ike better than Jason.) I only hope that there's a greater variance in his costume-specific lines like there is in FEH. At least, just enough to audibly discern which version of Ike is being played. Because I'll primarily be sticking with the RD variant.

Comparison Sake:

Path of Radiance (Young Voice)

Radiant Dawn (Older Voice)
Interestingly about Jason Adkins, since Brawl, his Ike voice has changed in every other appearance. I feel if he came back to voice new voice clips for Ike's Smash Ultimate appearance, his voice would sound different yet again if of course they didn't recycle the same voice clips over again like they've done with Marth's Japanese VA from Melee up until this point.

Code Name Steam is my least favorite Jason Adkins role, it sounds a bit jarring with Ike's appearance. In fact some people thought it was a different actor entirely. Though I did like how he did Ike in Fire Emblem Fates. There's just a certain uniqueness with the whispery raspy-ness of it all that I find myself liking the sound of.

Oh also I should do the same and put up some voice refs of Jason Adkins for the titles I mentioned.

Code Name Steam:

Fire Emblem Fates:

@ Jedisupersonic Jedisupersonic

I do feel Jason Adkins likely got replaced for having a busy schedule and not being able to be as freely available, since they seemed to drag him back for Ike's other game appearances lol. He's still active, just in live action vs voice work (Ike was the only voice he did). Getting replaced in Heroes was what made me think Greg Chun would likely replace Smash as well, since if anything Smash always tends to update the voices if the character has received a voice update since then.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Old ike voice was characteristic. New one is different but just as good and sexier ^^ we like ike

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Only if side-b swings.
Ugh that's dumb.

In fact, the hitbox detection on that move's dumb too. Why can't I just not swing the sword man? I'm swinging at a Sheik's toe that's already moved on to the other end of the stage.

Top Bottom