• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Radiant Hero of Legend: Ike Thread

Who do you expect to voice Ike?

• Jason Adkins (Original voice)

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Greg Chun (Heroes)

Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters

Troykv

Smash Master
One of my favorite things about his character is the nature of his upbringing. It's just so different from everyone else's stories.

He had a strong upbringing, but it wasn't everything and it definitely didn't make him. Because of the huge power gap in the group after Greil's departure, Ike was left hanging having to pick up his father's scraps. And because he obviously couldn't fill his father's shoes, the company lost two of their stronger members; members that could've coached Ike through this point but didn't due to their own hubris and distaste for Ike's newbie-status. And the best part was they were right! He was a total noob at the beginning: impulsive, impatient, and not exceptional with the sword in anyway whatsoever.

Ike is pretty much the only character I know in Fire Emblem where nothing was handed to him. He had to work for everything he got. Only after he proved himself did he start getting the notoriety. I love the respect he was given in Radiant Dawn, as his own legend proceeded him and got him the treatment he deserved. I find it quite hilarious how Micaiah gets sick of hearing Sothe fanboy over Ike to the point that she underestimates him when the Dawn Brigade ends up opposing the Greil Mercenaries. Almost as if to rub it in Micaiah's face, Ike proves himself to be everything Sothe said he was and leads the Geril mercs to trash the brigade. They even "threatened" Sothe's life specifically and forced Micaiah to buckle like a twig under a hydraulic press.

Dang, Ike is too frigging cool to not include!
Well. before he started to be a competent leader, he was carried for Greil's legacy (he knew it Caineghis, he was the first option to inherit the Mercenaries' leadership... Greil guided Ike to be relevant ... it's pretty much the reason why Ike is the main character)

Roberk

Smash Champion
Yeah, but Roy was cut two games ago now. And he was at once a full, and disfunctional Marth clone. Also his game got cancelled for international release. Roy had A LOT going against him. Ike doesn't. Ike remains as popular as ever, and his games are just about the most likely to be remade eventually because of it. The Tellius games where still the only FE console titles, and Ike is Lord of two games.

So yeah, I say he's pretty damn safe.
Just to not create confusion, the Tellius games were the only international console titles. Before the GBA era, FE had 5 games spread out over the NES and SNES. I definitely agree that Ike is safe though, he's by far the most popular FE character according to official polls.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Ike doesn't come back I'm gonna be super pissed. He and Snake are the only two characters that really resonate with me as a player. If I lost both of them I'd probably lose it.

Also when he comes back I hope he brings his Ranger, Lord, Hero, and Vanguard alternates with him.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I can't see him being cut, he's insanely popular for both smash fans and FE fans, he has a very rewarding kit and really I don't see anyone being able to fulfill his role, he and snake really do have that awesome powerful playstyle that's just right. just give him his 1-2 sword range back... not like anyone is playing Ike in competitive lol so It can't hurt to give him some more power.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I want him to be truer to canon. It's bull**** that Sakurai wanted a heavyweight and slapped Ike on that concept.

Troykv

Smash Master
I want him to be truer to canon. It's bull**** that Sakurai wanted a heavyweight and slapped Ike on that concept.
And instead, the FE Series actually embraced the Bulky more average-speed Ike in Fates and Heroes (and Radiant Dawn at a minor extent).

Roberk

Smash Champion
Hopefully if Sakurai has to choose between POR Ike and RD Ike he can just look at the 2017 CYL poll. In that POR Ike scored much higher than RD Ike, being the most popular male FE character on his own. Both POR and RD have been repped at this point, so hopefully Sakurai just goes with what is clearly more popular.

It should have been well within the development period of Smash 5 to give him a clear understanding of which Ike people prefer.

Yarael-BJ-Poof

Smash Cadet
I feel like they'll bring back Jason Adkins, because even though Marth has a solid English voice actor he's still reusing the Japanese voice from Brawl. Also, I would like to see his PoR armor as an alt, as well as the explosion sounds he had in Brawl. The toned-down swooshy sound effects don't really seem to fit him, especially his swole design.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I feel like they'll bring back Jason Adkins, because even though Marth has a solid English voice actor he's still reusing the Japanese voice from Brawl. Also, I would like to see his PoR armor as an alt, as well as the explosion sounds he had in Brawl. The toned-down swooshy sound effects don't really seem to fit him, especially his swole design.
To be fair, the first time we heard Marth's current english voice was Codename Steam, which if I can recall correctly was after Smash 4's release. So it could still change though I wouldn't put it as a guarentee

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Hopefully if Sakurai has to choose between POR Ike and RD Ike he can just look at the 2017 CYL poll. In that POR Ike scored much higher than RD Ike, being the most popular male FE character on his own. Both POR and RD have been repped at this point, so hopefully Sakurai just goes with what is clearly more popular.

It should have been well within the development period of Smash 5 to give him a clear understanding of which Ike people prefer.
The reason for PoR Ike > RD Ike, is because of how poorly the polls were managed, RD Ike is hidden away in Radiant Dawn, a game not many know about, and Ike being the protag of both, but people first intuition will always go for PoR when they want to vote for Ike, that's why PoR Ike >RD ike, they should've just listed PoR Ike and RD Ike as one character, this is actually the only instance that being the protag. of 2 games was a disadvantage xD.

As for my suggestion for Ike, I would love for alt. costume to be a feature in the new Smash, each character getting an alt costume which are unlockables, so Vanguard Ike here we go.

But the biggest change I want to Ike would be a balance change, being less floaty, losing counter for Eruption, which well act as a counter like Corrin's, Getting the Sword beam, which will be fast but weak, will act as a spacing tool, and to balance it let it be a rechargeable beam, so you wont spam it, with an indicator that show you that the beam is fully ready to be released, auto charge, once you release it, you need to wait 2 seconds to throw another beam.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
The reason for PoR Ike > RD Ike, is because of how poorly the polls were managed, RD Ike is hidden away in Radiant Dawn, a game not many know about, and Ike being the protag of both, but people first intuition will always go for PoR when they want to vote for Ike, that's why PoR Ike >RD ike, they should've just listed PoR Ike and RD Ike as one character, this is actually the only instance that being the protag. of 2 games was a disadvantage xD.

As for my suggestion for Ike, I would love for alt. costume to be a feature in the new Smash, each character getting an alt costume which are unlockables, so Vanguard Ike here we go.

But the biggest change I want to Ike would be a balance change, being less floaty, losing counter for Eruption, which well act as a counter like Corrin's, Getting the Sword beam, which will be fast but weak, will act as a spacing tool, and to balance it let it be a rechargeable beam, so you wont spam it, with an indicator that show you that the beam is fully ready to be released, auto charge, once you release it, you need to wait 2 seconds to throw another beam.
Ike really needs his sword beam, it's straight up unfair that he doesn't have it for "balancing" while Cloud who fits in Ike's fighter archetype has one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ike really needs his sword beam, it's straight up unfair that he doesn't have it for "balancing" while Cloud who fits in Ike's fighter archetype has one.
Not only that, he has a meter which gets charged by Cloud hitting opponents, getting hit, and manually charging it which supercharges ALL the specials, including sword beam which gives it a huge hitbox, multi hit for shield pressure, tons more damage, and ****ing KILLS.

How the **** does Ike exist in the same game as Cloud? Seriously.

Troykv

Smash Master
Not only that, he has a meter which gets charged by Cloud hitting opponents, getting hit, and manually charging it which supercharges ALL the specials, including sword beam which gives it a huge hitbox, multi hit for shield pressure, tons more damage, and ****ing KILLS.

How the **** does Ike exist in the same game as Cloud? Seriously.
Well... Ike arrived in a... slower and more simply game (Meta Knight is another character that lacks projectiles and is usually associated with them.... but I think nobody would like to give Brawl!MK even more options).

Cloud appeared in a game where "being special" is very important because characters needs niches to don't feel just like "another swordsman"

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
How about this when Ike does Eruption, he unleashes a shock-wave on both Direction, the more you charge Eruption the less horizontal distance it goes and the more Vertical size it gains and a fully charged Eruption is simply the same Eruption. we can have our shock-wave and Eruption in one move, one change I'd make, making a non-charged Eruption with less ending lag and the more you charge it the more ending lag it gains.

Quick Draw need to be more like Close Combat, if you use B you get the usual Quick draw, but if you use Up-B it cancels into Aether midair, and if you keep it as close combat, it can be a reliable combo breaker

I wont change Aether it's fine as is, maybe make it have less starting lag, so we can Up-b out of shield or out of combo, it can be a reliable combo breaker,

Ike F-Smash need to be less punishable, maybe a shockwave the knockes back opponents if he whiffs the attack.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh, and speaking of missing lore stuff, landing aether on the ground really should give me the option of doing a second B input to do the rising slash backflip.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I'd like for Ike's Counter to be upgraded to Distant Counter, that fires a sword beam projectile upon the counter activating. Not only would it be faithful to Ragnell's ability in the PoR/RD/Heroes, but it would also give him a strong option to deal with zoning/projectile play. Just random shower thoughts...

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I think Counter becoming Eruption is the way to go, it will be devestating and really good for Team Fights, and B changed to a Sword Beam, that works like ROB laser beam, it auto charges.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think Counter becoming Eruption is the way to go, it will be devestating and really good for Team Fights, and B changed to a Sword Beam, that works like ROB laser beam, it auto charges.
But if you do that, Ike loses one of his best edgeguarding tools.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well with Marth, he practically just started speaking English, while Ike has been speaking the language for over a decade

But...Buff Ike needs to get even Buffer...Boom Knuckles Buff Ike (even his legs will be the size of Boom Knuckles arms)

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
But if you do that, Ike loses one of his best edgeguarding tools.
Edgeguarding with Eruption is not as reliable, you need to time it perfectly or prepared to be punished, I will miss it, but edgeguarding is the least of the issues Ike got, a spacing tool is needed, so is a combo breaker.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Eruption as Down Smash anyone?

I want Ragnell's shockwave as well. Ever since Cloud got it, I called bull**** on Sakurai's reasoning for not giving it to Ike ever since Brawl.

hE'd Be ToO pOwErFuLl...

MY DIRTY HAIRY BEHIND!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eruption as Down Smash anyone?

I want Ragnell's shockwave as well. Ever since Cloud got it, I called bull**** on Sakurai's reasoning for not giving it to Ike ever since Brawl.

hE'd Be ToO pOwErFuLl...

MY DIRTY HAIRY BEHIND!
Eruption as a downsmash would be great. Especially considering I have yet to see someone use an aerial eruption uhh ever.

Speaking of Smashes, why are Ike's so slow? They've got the terrible combination of taking 3 years to start going and 6 years to act out of it. ****, I feel safer going for a Falcon Punch than I do using Fsmash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I like U Smash honestly, because the range makes it worth the lag most of the time. Definitely can't throw one out randomly, but it's great for reads and roll spammers.

Ike should honestly just be a whole lot faster, and have his ranged attack. That alone would fix him. It's shameful to see how hardly anyone plays Ike anymore.

Troykv

Smash Master
I like U Smash honestly, because the range makes it worth the lag most of the time. Definitely can't throw one out randomly, but it's great for reads and roll spammers.

Ike should honestly just be a whole lot faster, and have his ranged attack. That alone would fix him. It's shameful to see how hardly anyone plays Ike anymore.
Well... If this is indeed a prove of Cloud powercreeping Ike... he at least needs some changes to his moveset, and his stats.

Cloud will always be better, because he was designed with another idea... But it's always possible to dream.

Good Luck Ike Fans.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Yeah, Usmash is actually pretty good if you can bait an airdodge or want a more reliable roll-catcher than DSmash.
It's just that horrid endlag and startup that makes it more of a pain to use than it really ought to be tbh.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, Usmash is actually pretty good if you can bait an airdodge or want a more reliable roll-catcher than DSmash.
It's just that horrid endlag and startup that makes it more of a pain to use than it really ought to be tbh.
Well, they can speed things up for U Smash right? Less lag would be ideal. Down Smash needs a complete overhaul though. The move is far too slow to be even a little effective. Literally my least used move with Ike. F Smash is also pretty bad honestly... Should be far more safe on shield. And the AAA Jab combo should be more effective, like in Brawl.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I thought the voice sounded familiar, so I looked it up. It seems Greg Chun also voices Lukas in Fire Emblem Echoes. That said, if he continues doing voices for characters in future Fire Emblem games, I could see him replacing Adkins in Smash Switch. At least, I certainly hope so. Having finally played Fire Emblem Heroes, I think Chun does an excellent job with Ike. I absolutely enjoy his strong-but-silent tone.

I'll be surprised if Ike does get cut. Despite his games coming out long ago, he's still fairly popular. Personally, I'm hoping he stays, because he's one of the few characters in Smash whom feels natural to me.

Troykv

Smash Master
I thought the voice sounded familiar, so I looked it up. It seems Greg Chun also voices Lukas in Fire Emblem Echoes. That said, if he continues doing voices for characters in future Fire Emblem games, I could see him replacing Adkins in Smash Switch. At least, I certainly hope so. Having finally played Fire Emblem Heroes, I think Chun does an excellent job with Ike. I absolutely enjoy his strong-but-silent tone.

I'll be surprised if Ike does get cut. Despite his games coming out long ago, he's still fairly popular. Personally, I'm hoping he stays, because he's one of the few characters in Smash whom feels natural to me.
Ike being cut in Smash Wii U would be understandable because we still had a "trend" to be okay with Ike being remplaced...

But Ike being cut in Smash Switch would be rage inducing, specially because his popularity has be recognized after Smash Wii U... several times xD.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Heroes fanbase would testify to Ike's popularity, Legendary Ike winning the poll for the free character is evidence enough, ok now we need Ike in his Vanguard glory.

Berserk Medallion Ike anyone?!

Ashera: Oh ****!

I fount this on Pinterest, who ever made this need to come out this looks so good!, profession, if someone told me this is a leaked Image from Fire Emblem on the Switch I would totally believe it

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wish Vanguard Ike got referenced in Smash. Maybe during the final smash he promotes and then does great aether or something like that?

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Ike unique. So is tellius. Tellius is big and never repetitive. We have some of the best characters and chapters in tellius and radiant dawn actually requires to think and use everything game throws at us. Ike is our only commoner protagonist. Everyone else were lords and princes. He has different looks, manners and fighting style than other lords, he has no prejudice, he doesnt complicate things, he is noble in thought, strong in action and his friendship is gold. Playing radiant dawn in japanese, anyone would say that he is gay and its beautifully put. Radiant dawn's story doesnt revolve around ike and his role in story and his chapters feel a little forced and fanservice. Thats how much we liked him from path of radiance. Marth is fe mascot and ike is their most notable lord. There is no way ike gets cut.

Last edited:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Um. I accidentally double posted and dont know how to remove this ^^ newbie life

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So anyone here else heard about the Path of Radiance Echoes rumor? Apperantly it was posted by some developer of FE: Heroes. Could the next remake actually be FE9? I'd love for that to happen honestly.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So anyone here else heard about the Path of Radiance Echoes rumor? Apperantly it was posted by some developer of FE: Heroes. Could the next remake actually be FE9? I'd love for that to happen honestly.
Unlikely, we're skipping Shadows of Judgral, Elibe, and Magvel. Between the 3 of them, that's 5 games being skipped for remakes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Unlikely, we're skipping Shadows of Judgral, Elibe, and Magvel. Between the 3 of them, that's 5 games being skipped for remakes.
I get that, but still.. Path of Radiance is easily one of, if not THE most popular Fire Emblem titles which has sold poorly, yet is now worth about about double or tripple the innitial retail price online. It's the very first 3D Fire Emblem as well, and extremely ambitious overall. It's just.. a very good game. And a remake would probably sell better than at least Judgral and Magvel. Not too sure about Elibe.

Anyway the comment is about a year old or so, and still no news of Echoes: Path of Radiance in any shape or form. So it also might simply not happen. I do wish it happens however, coupled with a Radiant Dawn remake cause that would simply be amazing. In general, they could make 3 giantly ambitious Fire Emblem remakes by combining titles. I wouldn't care which one would be released first out of all 3 honestly. Even if I do have a bias towards Tellius.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I wouldn't necessarily say anything's being skipped when there's not even a set pattern to go on to establish how they go about remaking games in the first place unless this is being based off of how Pokemon does remakes then I guess. I don't remember if Shadows of Valentia did as well as Awakening/Fates sales wise but if that's a concern for IS then I could easily see the next remakes being based on the popular lords Roy/Ike/Lyn etc. so Elibe or Tellius wouldn't be out of the question as far as I'm concerned but obvs I'm biased so if Path of Radiance did get a remake, I wouldn't complain lol

Top Bottom