• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Radiant Hero of Legend: Ike Thread

Who do you expect to voice Ike?

• Jason Adkins (Original voice)

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Greg Chun (Heroes)

Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Ike is back, to absolutely nobody’s surprise. Not only does he appear to have new voice lines, but they change depending on if you use the Radiance or Radiant costume! And his voice sounds really sexy, too.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Bless Ashunera. Ike looks goddamn fantastic. New upair, new voice, PoR/RD costumes... loving it. So happy.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Greg Chun Voice is nice. Having the best of both worlds with PoR and RD costumes. The two also having different lines is cool too.

Troykv

Smash Master
So Greg Chun now appears in Smash too... Nice, I was already getting used to Heroes!Ike, so having to get used again to Jason it would be weird xD

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Looks like Chun replaced Adkins after all. I dare say, he suits Ike quite well.

I like the change to Ike's up-air. Instead of twirling his sword around, he swings it in a quick arc. Overall, he was one of mine favourites to watch in the tournament.

Ike will definitely be one of mine mains, since I've always liked his defensive fighting style. This makes three games in a row.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, going over the changes:

Confirmed:
Default Ike is now Path of Radiance Ike
Idle Stance now uses his limp arm Path of Radiance stance (Even if wearing the Radiant Dawn costume)
Up-Air is no longer helicopter, quick overhead arcing slash.
Down-B now has a blue flame effect
Neutral-B now causes multiple ranged explosions expanding outwards at a certain charge
Radiant Dawn Ike now voiced slightly differently compared to Path of Radiance Ike
Great Aether has new cinematic shot at the beginning
Neutral Air has had a noticeable range buff. Slightly different animation.

Uncomfirmed:
Aerials (especially Forward Air) have decreased ending lag, possibly none
Ike now moves faster
Ike's Smashes now have less startup/endlag

TLDR; NO ****ING SWORD BEAAAAAAAAAAAMS

Will edit as more Ike info gets released.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Alright, going over the changes:

Confirmed:
Default Ike is now Path of Radiance Ike
Idle Stance now uses his limp arm Path of Radiance stance (Even if wearing the Radiant Dawn costume)
Up-Air is no longer helicopter, quick overhead arcing slash.
Down-B now has a blue flame effect
Neutral-B now causes multiple ranged explosions expanding outwards at a certain charge
Radiant Dawn Ike now voiced slightly differently compared to Path of Radiance Ike
Great Aether has new cinematic shot at the beginning

Uncomfirmed:
Aerials (especially Forward Air) have decreased ending lag, possibly none
Ike now moves faster
Ike's Smashes now have less startup/endlag

TLDR; NO ****ING SWORD BEAAAAAAAAAAAMS

Will edit as more Ike info gets released.
At least Ike was overall buffed.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
He kinda has a semi sword beam....look it's better than nothing....

Also according to the intro videos there's a few characters who have their charged specials reversible during charge now (both Roy and Lil Mac can now reverse their Neutral B) and I wonder if we'll see the same for Ike's Side and Neutral specials?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Ike's changes are almost all I've ever asked for (no sword beams :( ), but everything else is amazing. POR Ike and RD Ike? Yes please. Greg Chun voicing both? Hnnnnnggg. Fixing that "meh" up-air and basically making it a faster version of up-smash? Hell yeah. I can't wait to see more of that new Eruption, it looks neat.

How Ike was presented was one of my favorite parts of this reveal, he got lots of attention, screentime, buffs, and perfect fanservice changes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There's one teensy weensy thing I don't like and it'a that RD still has the limp left arm.

I loved how in 4, he held it slightly up and the idle was in gently running his fingers over the top of the blade. He always looked ready to throw out a jab with the left hand.

Now his jab is kinda jank looking, it suddenly jerking up to punch someone from his waist.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
RD Ike also caught my eye looking off with the limp arm pose. Who knows, like the red flames in Ike's initial pic of the day for Smash 4 being later changed to blue, maybe RD Ike's posture has the chance to get changed and personally like how he looks with his stance in 4.

On another note I'm relatively surprised at being able to toggle between PoR and RD Ike and that he's gotten a few alterations, I mean I was just on the look out for a graphical upgrade in model and expressions lol.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Have we seen his up tilt being used anywhere? While it was a pretty good move, I always thought it looked so silly, alongside the helicopter, since he was literally hopping a little and using his sword arm to punch the air instead of making use of his freakin' enormous sword.

Also hoping Quick Draw doesn't have the absurdly huge diagonal deadzones where he swings and whiffs anymore.

Last edited:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Yes. It is our old uptilt. Zero used it in inkling stage

Last edited:

Ju-Fu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
0000x1
idc if ike is better or not in this one im just glad hes back so i dont have to pick up a new main ._.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Sakurai treated Ike really well this game. PoR/RD costumes with unique voices, new upair, buffed Eruption and nair!!! Super happy about everything.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Still in "wait and see" mode on Eruption. The fact they emphasized the ability to reverse moves like Roy's Flare Blade and Mac's Straight Lunge may suggest they're trying to make the charged specials less useless in general, but if they drop the ball we might still have a bunch of dead move slots on our hands - which in Ike's case means he's spending a third game with a bad-mediocre neutral special that isn't a sword beam. Assuming the extra ranged blasts don't need a totally full charge to obtain and 2-framing is still in, I'm chiefly interested in whether Ike can now fish for 2-frames from a safe distance, and if the move has obtained any kill viability when uncharged, seeing as it was formerly a 30-frame startup move with pitiful damage and knockback.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I didn't have time to read through this thread yet, but I just wanted to point out how strong his counter is.
https://gfycat.com/UnselfishGleamingCleanerwrasse
that did 32 damage and killed Zelda ta 54% !!!

later, he counter's her dair and does around 25%
To be fair though, he countered a sweetspot lightning kick. I think at that point any counter would've done the job.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wonder if they've finally let Aether grab onto ledges facing the opposite direction.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nobody noticed how Eruption is ranged whenever fully charged?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Eruption... was talked about on this very page. And was shown in Ike's character trailer. C'mon, now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, am used to Ike not getting attention. I know am on the Ike forum, but still... Deep rooted.

Still, it's weird how they gave Cloud everything Ike was rejected. Speed and a projectile; the very things that would've made Ike "overpowered"

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I wonder if they've finally let Aether grab onto ledges facing the opposite direction.
Please yes. Reverse aetherspiking was a favorite of mine in Brawl, however ballsy. And just being able to grab ledge backwards with it in general.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It literally doesn't matter what version, I just like Ike. Both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn where awesome games. I really hope they'll get remade soon.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Meanwhile, Path of Radiance design is my favorite. I'm happy its back. (Though I vastly prefer his lord design over Ranger)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

It's seriously cool.

Seriously exemplifies how Ike is so much more rough and rugged than any other Lord that he has to CLASS into one.

My fingers were crossed that he would class into his Lord and Vanguard class during his Final Smash so that these designs wouldn't all just be forgotten.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
At least Vanguard has Heroes art. Lord Ike isn't so lucky, at the moment.
I do like how Ike's Yellow pallet in this game looks even more like his Greil outfit in Heroes.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I personally prefer RD Ike because RD is my favorite game, but I'm super glad that both are in the game! Ike is Ike no matter which version it is. :cheep:

Flon

Smash Cadet
I believe forward air is the same animation but they've altered the speed in certain places to emphasize the swing and recovery. It looks great.

Unfortunately, it means that Ike no longer autocancels before frame 37. His short hop is the same from Smash 4, so we just lost autocancel forward air.

Quick rough GIF to demonstrate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom