• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data R.O.B. Matchup Thread

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
Matchup chart is looking good so far. My only beef would be Villager and Diddy. Should I bother bumping the old topics, or will my mini-rants fall on deaf ears? I'll post more in-depth reviews of these two characters, if people still read the older MU threads, but I'll just say a few things here.

Villager is probably worse than a 40-60, mainly because (like Pikachu and Sonic) you are forced to play his game. Villager controls the field, can't be gimped, beats nair with his disjointed airs, and can take gyro away. It's really not too fun.

Diddy was nerfed harder than ROB. He's lightweight, benefits less than rage, and has a pretty meh recovery (fair beats monkey flip and nair/ dair really messes up his jetpaack). Diddy can't hold bananas and gyros at the same time, which is a plus, and peanuts are practically useless against ROB. Diddy also can't go offstage quite like Sheik, Villager, and Pikachu. He can still juggle him, sure, but so can Falcon and Zero Suit, and their MUs are only 60-40.

Oh and I'd also be in favor of Mega Man MU discussion. I'm really bad against him and would love to hear what everyone has to say about the two of them.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Definitely comment in the threads. Diddy MU is MEGA outdated. That thing is from pre-pre-patch.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Would be willing to look into the Mega Man match-up as well, when we get the chance. Not just because it's fitting, but from what I've seen Mega Men from their boards have had trouble with it as well. Hopefully it's an even match-up then.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
New MUs are out. Megaman will be done next.

Also in case anyone was wondering, Mewtwo, Roy, Ryu, and Lucas will all be done last. I want as much time as possible to pass before starting a MU on them. This will also be the case for any future DLC.

Last edited:

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
I feel bad for knowing virtually nothing about Olimar, could we try to discuss him in this thread so the match-up thread doesn't get filled with speculation?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I want to keep this thread free of any matchup discussion that already has a thread so it's easier for players to find information via the OP. I'll hop over to the Oli boards for input.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Well, that's fair. In the meantime then I guess we could discuss Mega Man? If not, could you edit the above post so I'll know to edit this out?

Mega Man's jab, if you decided to not use your projectiles, would probably make R.O.B look like a joke. His F-Air outranges ours, which could combat against N-Air, he has a safe spike that'll dunk us if we're not being careful, and two projectiles to keep us out; One of which forces us back into our shield. Plus, he has a safe juggling option in U-Air.
I'll try and get a few matches in against a Mega Man I know to see if it's doable.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Feel free to make any comments on Megaman. When the thread comes out next week, I'll just move your posts there.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Hey olimar main here, and I personally believe the matchup with ROB vs olimar is 60/40 Rob's Favor being very generous to Olimar. I mean all you really need to see is 8bitman's matches online vs olimar ...I mean I may be a little biased here since its one of my personal worst but, its one of the few matchup's that force olimar to be a little more aggressive and approach as most of your options with gyro and lasers punish the living hell out of our camping game. Your tilts come out hella fast, down throw to up air is nearly guaranteed kill setup I think with you only reading we DI either left or right from the initial hitlag from the throw..I mean our best thing to do agains't you is combo you but personally what I believe olimar will do will be keeping the spacing game up as far as saying in neutral position and not avoiding your down smash and grabs as they put is in very bad positons to begin with. Even then with that you can easily make up for that and rush us down somewhat since your tilts and downsmash are so fast and your aerials beat out all ours, cuz like in brawl our aerials are pretty horrid in comparison to our ground game. Although giving olimar gyro significantly holds down your neutral game as he can just chuck pikmin and power sheild your lasers, and from what I've seen its not that easy to remove them, and if you do you have to commit and that gives us time to approach. Overall its hard af to find an opening to get a kill on a good ROB so as much dmg as the pikmin do put on yall to maybe 180 or more u can still avoid alot of our kill moves (fsmash/purple smashes/blue up throw etc) and go for a down throw up air, up throw, downsmash or the gyro to pressure us off stage then get an aerial in or have it kill us outright, olimar is so light in this game, and with up air you can juggle him for days...oh and one more stupid thing yall can get a kick from is if we throw a pikmin to your gyro they just latch on it and stay there so if the olimar isn't paying attention or doesnt whistle it back in that situation he'd only have 2 pikmin isntead of 3 which gives us less chance to throw more pikmin and still its annoying lol...but overall being in ROB's favor imo is where this matchup prolly stands, maybe its better, but thats what I see in it from my previous experiences with ROB.

Last edited:

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
Hey olimar main here, and I personally believe the matchup with ROB vs olimar is 60/40 Rob's Favor being very generous to Olimar. I mean all you really need to see is 8bitman's matches online vs olimar ...I mean I may be a little biased here since its one of my personal worst but, its one of the few matchup's that force olimar to be a little more aggressive and approach as most of your options with gyro and lasers punish the living hell out of our camping game. Your tilts come out hella fast, down throw to up air is nearly guaranteed kill setup I think with you only reading we DI either left or right from the initial hitlag from the throw..I mean our best thing to do agains't you is combo you but personally what I believe olimar will do will be keeping the spacing game up as far as saying in neutral position and not avoiding your down smash and grabs as they put is in very bad positons to begin with. Even then with that you can easily make up for that and rush us down somewhat since your tilts and downsmash are so fast and your aerials beat out all ours, cuz like in brawl our aerials are pretty horrid in comparison to our ground game. Although giving olimar gyro significantly holds down your neutral game as he can just chuck pikmin and power sheild your lasers, and from what I've seen its not that easy to remove them, and if you do you have to commit and that gives us time to approach. Overall its hard af to find an opening to get a kill on a good ROB so as much dmg as the pikmin do put on yall to maybe 180 or more u can still avoid alot of our kill moves (fsmash/purple smashes/blue up throw etc) and go for a down throw up air, up throw, downsmash or the gyro to pressure us off stage then get an aerial in or have it kill us outright, olimar is so light in this game, and with up air you can juggle him for days...oh and one more stupid thing yall can get a kick from is if we throw a pikmin to your gyro they just latch on it and stay there so if the olimar isn't paying attention or doesnt whistle it back in that situation he'd only have 2 pikmin isntead of 3 which gives us less chance to throw more pikmin and still its annoying lol...but overall being in ROB's favor imo is where this matchup prolly stands, maybe its better, but thats what I see in it from my previous experiences with ROB.
Thanks for the input, but could you post that in the specific thread for it http://smashboards.com/threads/r-o-b-matchup-analysis-29-olimar.409295/ here

Mikey_Fresh

Smash Rookie
So, R.O.B. main here, and one who struggles significantly against Duck Hunt. Can anyone give me some advice on how to beat a good, campy one? He tends to just shield everything I've got and his projectiles come out faster. He uses the Trick Shot can, so are there any customs I should try to combat this?

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
So, R.O.B. main here, and one who struggles significantly against Duck Hunt. Can anyone give me some advice on how to beat a good, campy one? He tends to just shield everything I've got and his projectiles come out faster. He uses the Trick Shot can, so are there any customs I should try to combat this?
This is actually raises a very good point. Outside of the miis and some very new ones, none of our discussions have really touched on customs. We should really go back and talk about them again.

TriTails

Smash Lord
BeeP BEeP.

Us LuIGi BoARDs arE cuRrEntLy DIScuSiNG R.O.B..

PlEase DrOP oN By iF YoU HAVe sOMetHIng tO shARE rIGht HeRE.

We AwAIT yoUR pOTEntiAL aTTEnDaNCE, Beep...

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
After Mega-man can we discuss, Falco because i have a lot to say on that one

Megaman beats R.O.B in my opinion, ill give some input why

Megaman's projectiles are extremely hard to get around and trade with as both Metal blade and Crash bomber can destroy a gyro. So Robo Beam is our main option, when im in this match-up i wish we had the brawl version of the move as it would help more because sadly its really hard for rob to get close and the beam can be shielded easier due to its slower speed.

Speaking of getting close, Megamans lemons stop us from getting anything done up in his face, and mega-mans down tilt and up tilt are very effective on rob due to his design. If we didn't have the ROBOcopter, i would rate this match-up as one of R.O.B's hardest,

in the air it becomes a little easier, if we can avoid Mega-mans back air R.O.B is generally safe to get close.

Recovery is 50/50 for rob and mega-mans as both recoveries are predictable and straight forward, though both can damage the other if the time there recovery wrong, with the meteors.

I would say 60-40 For the blue metal robot, the white and Red (or grey) robot has much less options other than having an easier time landing the killing blow loses every other scenario.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Beep. I think the matchup with Negaman feels like an uphill battle due to his large collection of projectiles, but a big part is how well you can dodge/catch his metal blade. It's his version of gyro, so catching it and throwing it high up off stage is a good idea. On the ground it is about even. At medium distance try not to airdodge into his dash attack. In the air we should have the small advantage if we stay at a slight angle under the range of his fair or bair. If you are able to use custom moves then the Reflector Arm is a blessing because you can land safely while reflecting anything (hopefully he is charging his fsmash at you). Beep!

Last edited:

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
Copy Paste of a post of mine over on the viability thread. Pessimistic or realist?
"Well, seeing that these personal MU charts are becoming the norm (and I'm sure all these images are fun to look at), I'll spout mine, on my main ROB. Info comes from ROB wip MU chart, tournament speculation, and personal experience at locals & online.

:4rob: against the supposed top tier:

Opponent's favor (in order from least manageable to somewhat manageable):
:4pikachu::4villager::4sheik::4mario::rosalina::4fox::4metaknight::4yoshi::4luigi::4zss::4falcon:

Even-ish:
:4sonic::4ness::4pit::4darkpit::4diddy:

Slight advantage:
:4wario2::4lucario:

To put it bluntly, I am surprised ROB is rated so highly on the "top 15". Yes- he has tourney results, is one of the better item users, has a good throw game, and has good aerial disjoints- but he suffers against pressure. Pikachu, Villager, Mario, Rosalina, and Sheik have stellar defensive walling games, and completely outclass ROB in one of his best attributes. Simply put, they can force approaches. Fox, Zero Suit, Meta Knight, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Luigi all have great combo potential and when they do get in, it's very rough for ROB. Zero Suit, Luigi, and Falcon despite being mobile monsters and combo fanatics are kind of messed up by gyros. They also can't recover quite as well, as the other top tiers (which is good for ROB with one of the most useful spikes in the game). Still, they can mess up ROB in the air and are rewarded plentifully off throws.

Sonic and Diddy were nerfed more than ROB. An on-stage gyro and lasers probably work the best on these two (Sonic's spin dash technique is halted and Diddy cannot hold 2 items in his hand). As for the Pits, I am surprised they are rated this high, as well. Nairo is good with them, yes, but these two have odd multihit frame data and very exploitable laggy specials. Like ROB, they aren't terrible, but they don't follow the same offensive based play that the other top tiers do. ROB can camp Wario and Lucario, which is nice. ROB doesn't have a problem with the bike and Lucario can be killed in a last ditch effort up throw (if he doesn't die to a Dsmash/up air/reflected projectile at 100). Don't know enough about ROB vs. Brawler/ Olimar, but they are both pretty well rounded characters with.

ROB is pretty average, in his kill power, combos, and defensive game. Unfortunately when the top tier is just so rushdown/ safety/ camp oriented, ROB can't do much. He's viable, but I can think of 8 characters who can compete better with the top:
(:4kirby::4marth::4feroy::4ryu::4palutena::4myfriends::4lucas::4greninja:)"

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I wouldn't say any of the ones you listed except Ryu and maybe Lucas are better than ROB, and I wouldn't call Lucario top-tier either. I also don't see how Pika is a worse MU than Sheik. But I mainly agree that ROB is a little overrated.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Ike is now pretty good though. He is really fast now.

FalconXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItalianFalcon
This is actually raises a very good point. Outside of the miis and some very new ones, none of our discussions have really touched on customs. We should really go back and talk about them again.
I agree with this, but I think we should first finish every character. I think if we talk about all the MUs custom-less first it'll clear up confusion and once that's done we can go back and focus on their customs (maybe even adding another row to each MU box for customs and custom-less ratios?). Also keep in mind Sakurai will release more patches alongside future DLC etc. making some of the matches as dated as the pre-patch Diddy MU so our work with the custom-less MUs isn't even done.

The game is still fairly young so I would say give it time and we should get at least some idea of each MU before revisions and custom moves are considered.

[Also a minor request, if possible can we focus on Game and Watch in one of the next MU discussions? I have no set idea of how to fight one since I scarcely ever come across them].

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It means I'm late again and I'm going to be putting out new threads right now.

Bowser's thread is out. Robin's got no input so I'm keeping it focused for another week.

Last edited:

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
Looking forward to the start of a Charizard MU analysis.
My friend mains Charizard and definitely messes up my typical game play.

I would like to share my findings of the MU.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Looking forward to the start of a Charizard MU analysis.
My friend mains Charizard and definitely messes up my typical game play.

I would like to share my findings of the MU.
Yo you think you could pass me some info? I gotta fight a really good charizard this sat.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
Yo you think you could pass me some info? I gotta fight a really good charizard this sat.
Sure! I'll share everything I can think of here.

- Respect his Nair. It's much like ROB's but possibly better. I'm not completely sure but it seems like it comes out faster thus breaking some combos or approaches. I've also seen my friend picking up the landing technique of fast falling Nair similar to how ROB does.

- His jab! Comes out super fast and has good range. My friend likes to grab > pummel > release > jab. Not sure if that is a legit tactic but its not too bad. You can shield right after the release.

- Mix-up how you return to the stage. Charizard has many options for edge-guarding. He can stay at the edge and use Flamethrower to completely cover the edge so you can't grab it. He can go deep and Fair you off close to the side blast zones getting an early kill. If you recover low watch out for his spikes because ROB's recovery leaves you wide open. If you recover high watch out for Charizard's Up-B which can kill us vertically. I suggest prolonging the time off stage by alternating between Fairs and Up-B similar to how MisterEric does in his videos.

- His Kill Throw! Watch out when he has rage! Charizard is super scary with rage for many reasons and this is one of them. Be wary of stages with high platforms like Battlefield and ESPECIALLY Duck Hunt! Charizard can get super early kills off the tree.

- His Combo Throw! His down throw can lead into a guaranteed Fair at low percents. I've seen Styles combo throw into a Flair Blitz but I'm unsure if it was a down throw or a back throw. Which brings me to my next thing...

- Flare Blitz! A force to be reckoned with! Always be prepared for it because you can be ahead but all Charizard needs is a Flare Blitz to take the lead or the set. Flare blitz can eat through lasers and sometimes gyros! If you can hit Charizard just as he primes the move you can still stop him with laser or gyros. But that window is small, after that RU, do something! This move makes me want to out camp Charizard with projectiles so much but because the move is so fast it closes space so efficiently and catches me off guard. I am not completely sure about this but, if you place a gyro on the ground between you and Charizard the gyro will eat the Flare Blitz hit and will end the move. It happened a couple times during our friendlies but at some point I would like to confirm that this is true.

- ROCK SMASH. Freaking Rock Smash is annoying because it renders Beep Boop useless at high percents. If you have rage and Charizard is at high percents he can just Rock Smash our Uair absorbing it. It also launches us upwards possibly killing us. I think the key is to try to hit Charizard in the back. He wtill wont be launched but the hit box is in front of Charizard so we should be in a safer position.

I hope this helps. These are just some things I've passively noticed and picked-up on as my friend and I played. He just revealed this new main so I'm learning this MU as I go. Doesn't help that Charizard has been receiving lots of buffs lately ><

Good luck on your match!

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Sure! I'll share everything I can think of here.

- Respect his Nair. It's much like ROB's but possibly better. I'm not completely sure but it seems like it comes out faster thus breaking some combos or approaches. I've also seen my friend picking up the landing technique of fast falling Nair similar to how ROB does.

- His jab! Comes out super fast and has good range. My friend likes to grab > pummel > release > jab. Not sure if that is a legit tactic but its not too bad. You can shield right after the release.

- Mix-up how you return to the stage. Charizard has many options for edge-guarding. He can stay at the edge and use Flamethrower to completely cover the edge so you can't grab it. He can go deep and Fair you off close to the side blast zones getting an early kill. If you recover low watch out for his spikes because ROB's recovery leaves you wide open. If you recover high watch out for Charizard's Up-B which can kill us vertically. I suggest prolonging the time off stage by alternating between Fairs and Up-B similar to how MisterEric does in his videos.

- His Kill Throw! Watch out when he has rage! Charizard is super scary with rage for many reasons and this is one of them. Be wary of stages with high platforms like Battlefield and ESPECIALLY Duck Hunt! Charizard can get super early kills off the tree.

- His Combo Throw! His down throw can lead into a guaranteed Fair at low percents. I've seen Styles combo throw into a Flair Blitz but I'm unsure if it was a down throw or a back throw. Which brings me to my next thing...

- Flare Blitz! A force to be reckoned with! Always be prepared for it because you can be ahead but all Charizard needs is a Flare Blitz to take the lead or the set. Flare blitz can eat through lasers and sometimes gyros! If you can hit Charizard just as he primes the move you can still stop him with laser or gyros. But that window is small, after that RU, do something! This move makes me want to out camp Charizard with projectiles so much but because the move is so fast it closes space so efficiently and catches me off guard. I am not completely sure about this but, if you place a gyro on the ground between you and Charizard the gyro will eat the Flare Blitz hit and will end the move. It happened a couple times during our friendlies but at some point I would like to confirm that this is true.

- ROCK SMASH. Freaking Rock Smash is annoying because it renders Beep Boop useless at high percents. If you have rage and Charizard is at high percents he can just Rock Smash our Uair absorbing it. It also launches us upwards possibly killing us. I think the key is to try to hit Charizard in the back. He wtill wont be launched but the hit box is in front of Charizard so we should be in a safer position.

I hope this helps. These are just some things I've passively noticed and picked-up on as my friend and I played. He just revealed this new main so I'm learning this MU as I go. Doesn't help that Charizard has been receiving lots of buffs lately ><

Good luck on your match!
This is some good ****, man. I appreciate it greatly.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Charizard is up!

Let's have a round of applause for ourselves for having our FIRST matchup above 60:40!

;_;

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Charizard is up!

Let's have a round of applause for ourselves for having our FIRST matchup above 60:40!

;_;
I do think that most people are holding back not confident in giving ROB any really good MUs.

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
Rob destroys Charizard. The end. Oh fine, if you want me to elaborate...the new hah is able to hit Charizard at most percents, Gyro stops Flare Blitz, Charizard's one job is nearly impossible, and that is punishment, and, well...that's about it but that's all ROB needs to beat this unthreatening dragon.

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
you might want to actually say stuff like stage options, what zard can do , what ROB can do and actually say this in the discussion thread for zard MU
specifically

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
All characters now have a MU thread. Participation has been very low lately and if I wait for every thread to come to some sort of conclusion before moving on, Smash 5 will be out before we're done.

All MU discussions are ALWAYS open, old and new.

Top Bottom