• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data R.O.B. Matchup Thread

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul

:4bowser:|:4bowserjr:|:4falcon:|:4charizard:|:4darkpit:|:4dedede:|:4diddy:|:4dk:
| | | | | | |

:4drmario:|:4duckhunt:|:4falco:|:4fox:|:4ganondorf:|:4gaw:|:4greninja:|:4myfriends:
| | | | | | |

:4jigglypuff:|:4kirby:|:4littlemac:|:4link:|:4lucario:|:4lucas:|:4lucina:|:4luigi:
| | | | | | |

:4mario:|:4marth:|:4megaman:|:4metaknight:|:4mewtwo:|:4miibrawl:|:4miigun:
| | | | | |

:4miisword:|:4ness:|:4olimar:|:4palutena:|:4pacman:|:4peach:|:4pikachu:|:4pit:
| | | | | | |

:4rob:|:4robinm:|:rosalina:|:4feroy:|:4ryu:|:4samus:|:4sheik:|:4shulk:
| | | | | | |

:4sonic:|:4tlink:|:4villager:|:4wario2:|:4wiifit:|:4yoshi:|:4zelda:|:4zss:
| | | | | | |

Last edited:

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
Villager has an objective advantage over ROB in that he can effectively disable gyro (neutral game) for the entirety of the match if he wants to.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm looking for a good example but it does
I went in training and checked it out. While Villager has it pocketed, you can't pull a new gyro out, but there is a time limit on how long Villager can pocket something. It felt like 20ish seconds (which is a long time), but it isn't forever.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
:4littlemac:- R.O.B. can really give Little Mac trouble, at least from my experience. Since Little Mac has no ranged options, he really only has one option in trying to powershield our spam and charging in head-on. Gyros can effectively halt approach from the ground and the Laser can interrupt attempted aerial approach (lol). Many of his approach options are extremely predictable and can easily be punished, like the Jolt Haymaker, rolling, and dash attack.
:4duckhunt:- I'll just say right now that R.O.B. makes absolute mincemeat out of this dog. Both of R.O.B.'s projectiles have priority (and more range) over the can and discus and can even send the can flying in the dog's face, which is always hilarious. What this means is that DH is essentially forced to close the distance in order to effectively deal damage against R.O.B. with physical attacks (lol) and Wild Gunman.

Last edited:

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
I went in training and checked it out. While Villager has it pocketed, you can't pull a new gyro out, but there is a time limit on how long Villager can pocket something. It felt like 20ish seconds (which is a long time), but it isn't forever.
Its 30 seconds, but you can keep R.O.B from not having it at all, if you take out the gyro with villager, and put it back in, it will refresh the 30 second time limit.

As for a matchup, Ganondorf does horrible against R.O.B, he can spike him badly due to Ganon's bad recovery, and can R.O.B can keep dodging and planting Gyro's. not to mention no projectiles or reflect moves.

B_Bech

Smash Cadet
NNID
B_Bech
3DS FC
2578-3111-2218
How do we stop Sonic? :4sonic: I'm having a ton of trouble beating a super defensive one...

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
I'm not convinced that Villager entirely neutralises your gyro game. Just be discerning with where you down-b the gyro initially, and only throw it close enough to Villager to the point where they can't Pocket on reaction (how fast is that move? I don't think it's super quick). As long as you can force them to guess when to pocket as opposed to straight up react, you can still make something decent of your gyro. Also, if they've bucketed a laser, they can't bucket gyro (although they'll probably blow the laser ASAP).

That said, this match-up is still hard. The rocket plus well spaced f-airs is a super hard wall to get around for R.O.B - I think powershield --> stuff might be the best option, rather than trying to jump over it, due to R.O.B's big frame and relative floatiness.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah the Villager I played last night kept pulling out the gyro and repocketing it. My advice is at early % only throw gyros when he's off the stage and try to make sure the gyro lands off the stage. They have to be spaced out though. Don't be predictable. Also, use the gyro more excessively when Villager is at higher %s so that they won't have it for long since you'll kill them soon.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Updated the OP with new information.

I would like somebody with some more matchup knowledge to check Ze Diglett's post, specifically Duck Hunt's. I don't have any DH experience for the most part, so I don't know if what he's saying is accurate. DH is a popular character and a really good one at that, so we should have those kinds of characters have priority for the accuracy of MU info.
:4littlemac:- R.O.B. can really give Little Mac trouble, at least from my experience. Since Little Mac has no ranged options, he really only has one option in charging in head-on. Gyros can effectively halt approach from the ground and the Laser can interrupt attempted aerial approach (lol). Many of his approach options are extremely predictable and can easily be punished, like the Jolt Haymaker, rolling, and dash attack.
:4duckhunt:- I'll just say right now that R.O.B. makes absolute mincemeat out of this dog. Both of R.O.B.'s projectiles have priority (and more range) over the can and discus and can even send the can flying in the dog's face, which is always hilarious. What this means is that DH is forced to close the distance in order to effectively deal damage against R.O.B. with physical attacks (lol) and Wild Gunman.

Shammonx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shammon
I believe R.O.B vs Diddy is a pretty solid match up, 45/55 in Diddy's favor. ROB can deal with Diddy's side B with either the lazer, side b of his own or Gyro. The gryo itself allows for ROB to make his own advantages on the stage a kin to Diddy's banana. Rob and Diddy both have solid air game from my experience with ROB's only issue is being juggled at earlier percents if you try going agro after Diddy throws you in the air. You can force him to come to you with your projectile game if your foe is impatient.

What are everyone else's experiences with this match up?

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
I'll second that v. Diddy is pretty close to neutral. Good spacing with Gyro/Nairs seem to really keep Diddy on his heels, especially as they love to run in and abuse their grab game.

I'd hardly say the matchup v Duck Hunt is a major advantage for ROB. You say physical attacks like it's a bad thing; his disjoints both on the ground and in the air can be troublesome. His main goal is to get you off stage, where ROB's predictable recovery can really be exploited. I feel like it's closer to neutral.

One positive top/high matchup ROB has is v. RosaLuma. Much like Megaman, from mid range ROB forces lots of damage onto Luma or a DownB from Rosalina and risk of punishment. With careful play she'll have trouble KOing.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'll second that v. Diddy is pretty close to neutral. Good spacing with Gyro/Nairs seem to really keep Diddy on his heels, especially as they love to run in and abuse their grab game.

I'd hardly say the matchup v Duck Hunt is a major advantage for ROB. You say physical attacks like it's a bad thing; his disjoints both on the ground and in the air can be troublesome. His main goal is to get you off stage, where ROB's predictable recovery can really be exploited. I feel like it's closer to neutral.

One positive top/high matchup ROB has is v. RosaLuma. Much like Megaman, from mid range ROB forces lots of damage onto Luma or a DownB from Rosalina and risk of punishment. With careful play she'll have trouble KOing.
I would agree with ROB feeling decent against Rosalina. Laser is really useful here; it interrupts Luma shot whilst damaging both due to being piercing, and ROB seems to kill Luma quite easily. Rosalina has the range to threaten ROB but without gimps (which feel harder for her due to lack of a strong spike/slow juggle) seems to struggle to kill.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I've run into my first major wall. How the hell does ROB deal with Ness?
When he's landing, don't try to challenge his aerial (not often at least). Instead, rush in and shield his aerial as close to him as possible and go for messing up his spacing. Gyro messes with his side-b. If you have a stock lead, and can afford to take a hit from his up b while recovering, it will decrease the distance he travels. You might die and he will too if he's far enough away. You outcamp him. He will fish for grabs when at kill %. When you are at kill %, camp him as much as you can, if you can get him in the air, then you can go in and punish his landings. But be warned, a bair or u-air can kill you. So watch which direction he's facing and plan accordingly. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Another emphasis on the gyro. I've walled out Nesses with just a gyro chilling there. If you're ever playing a Ness, try and keep a gyro grounded between you and the Ness.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Advice on Capt. Falcon? I've resorted to punishing his whiffs for now, like moving just out of range and hitting him with Arm rotor. Gyro and Robo beam helps stop the super-aggressive ones, but one I get launched into the air, I start getting beaten badly. I usually have to go off-stage and grab the ledge to return safely.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Falcon's a tough one. I had to play Eazy's Falcon a week or two ago and he beat me. Falcon's so fast and is able to get in our grill really easily. All I was really able to do was gyro and lazer when possible and set up nairs or fairs whenever he did something in preperation for missed spacing or whathaveyou. I think our best bet against Falcon is to just play it slow and play the game of punishing. Just keep tossing out lasers and gyros and watch how he reacts and punish accordingly.

And for the love of all things robotic, do not airdodge into the ground. You WILL get raptor boosted.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Falcon's so fast and is able to get in our grill really easily.
I feel like this is a big ROB weakness atm. But I think there are workarounds. I think as the game grows we will be able to react to more in-your-face playstyles a bit better. Right now, ROB still doesn't feel quite comfortable in my hands yet. Not like in Brawl at least.

Advice on Capt. Falcon? I've resorted to punishing his whiffs for now, like moving just out of range and hitting him with Arm rotor. Gyro and Robo beam helps stop the super-aggressive ones, but one I get launched into the air, I start getting beaten badly. I usually have to go off-stage and grab the ledge to return safely.
I'd like to think that CF is pretty gimpable. Keep a gyro on the ground (when he allows you to) to disrupt his mobility. Fair can combat his aerials AFAIK. But yeah, playing the patient game will probably serve you best in this MU.

Last edited:

B_Bech

Smash Cadet
NNID
B_Bech
3DS FC
2578-3111-2218
I feel like this is a big ROB weakness atm. But I think there are workarounds. I think as the game grows we will be able to react to more in-your-face playstyles a bit better. Right now, ROB still doesn't feel quite comfortable in my hands yet. Not like in Brawl at least.

I'd like to think that CF is pretty gimpable. Keep a gyro on the ground (when he allows you to) to disrupt his mobility. Fair can combat his aerials AFAIK. But yeah, playing the patient game will probably serve you best in this MU.
Yeah, then he dash grabs it and makes life worse. Falcon is a terrible match up. Your best bet is recovering high and holding gyro and camping laser to zone. Throw if he's dumb enough to run at you... He will most likely jump to get you with an air if he doesn't attempt a sort of mind game or bait to get you to throw the gyro away. When he jumps, you can z drop and nair or beat him with a fair, or whatever other anti air options you have. Don't nair too much against falcon... Don't just throw out attacks in general against him really... He WILL punish and take a free combo.

Okay guys... how do we fight THIS jerk!?

:4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi::4luigi:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I haven't played a Luigi yet, but I watched a Luigi playing at a tournament I went two in Philly a couple weeks ago, and he was pulling off Dthrow -> DownB consistently for kills. I don't know if it's a true combo, but that's a move you really need to watch out for a high percent.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's not a true combo as far as I know. Tornado is Luigi's bread-and-butter move, but D-throw to U-air or U-smash common are more common.

VenomaShockwave

Smash Cadet
How do you guys feel about the match up vs Yoshi? I ask not because I've fought a really good one while playing as ROB, but because I've been suffering from Yoshi's fast approaches (similar to captain falcon???). I know this is sort of a ROB weakness. How do you deal with Yoshi's mean neutral toolkit?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I played against a few Rosalina's today. Have to say, the Luma is pain in the ass. If you try to recover low, they'll just send the Luma near the ledge and d-tilt repeatedly, making things tricky. Luma can also take quite a lot of damage and eat up projectiles. (Thank God that Robo beam passes through objects)

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Does anyone have any tips for the Sheik matchup? Neither walling her out nor trying to play aggressively have worked for me. My main issue with Sheik is dealing with her fair, both punishing it and the best way to respond to it in neutral. I believe spaced SHFF fair can lead to jab/ftilt which is safe on shield, and thus should be beaten by a hitbox, while SH fair is unsafe on block but beats out most other aerials; however, I'm not sure what ROB's best moves to beat out each option are, and if he possibly has some ubiquitous option that just stuffs fair. I'm also struggling against Sheik's edgeguarding and also edgeguarding Sheik. I'm not sure whether recovering high or low is safer, and what ROB can do to edgeguard Sheik besides trying to capitalize on ledge grab vulnerability. This matchup is really frustrating me right now, and I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Anybody have tips for a good character to have as a alt that can cover ROB's weak matchups? (Sheik especially) I've been thinking Olimar may be a good choice, but I want a second opinion before I put too much time into him.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm looking for a secondary and I'm thinking pit maybe, but I don't know how the match ups change.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Rosaluma can be really tricky for sheik to get past if played well so you may want to look into that. Just an idea :3

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Gyro's aren't particularly effective against the Luma (from my experience, at least.).

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The only use I got from the gyro when I played a Rosalina was that hitting the gyro with Luma caused Luma to briefly slow down since there was a hitbox collision which gave me some more time to react.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I personally don't find R.O.B vs Villager that bad. Sure, he can neutralize the awesomeness that is gyro, but if he has it pocketed, you can harass him like crazy with lasers. Lasers can also explode Lloid and pierce his tree.

Shammonx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shammon
Played against a Shulk a few minutes ago, and I had no idea how to approach him. his nair and fair out ranged me and so did most of his ground attacks.

B_Bech

Smash Cadet
NNID
B_Bech
3DS FC
2578-3111-2218
The only use I got from the gyro when I played a Rosalina was that hitting the gyro with Luma caused Luma to briefly slow down since there was a hitbox collision which gave me some more time to react.

Not sure if you saw my match against that Rosalina player today at Mew Years, but I find ROB Rosalina super easy. Her down b is so predictable and easy to punish. We out prioritize all her air defense with uair and can juggle for days. She also dies super early to uthrow and her predictable recovery is begging to get a beautiful dair spike.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
If you're willing to take a hit, side-b, even on Rosalina's shield can knock Luma off the stage and kill it.
She juggles us just as easy as we juggle her, and I dare to argue she does it a little better since she can bait air dodges for days out of her upthrow (or whichever throw sends us up).

Not sure on the MU ratio yet. Haven't fought enough good Rosalinas. I guess it's around even.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Does anybody know what to do against Bowser Jr.? I've played and gotten wrecked by Tweek's Jr twice now. My second match was more of an experiment. I knew he was going to beat me so what I ended up doing was moreso just watching his reactions to stuff and just experimenting. Some things I noticed was if you're above Jr, you're wrong. Period. The koopa bombs are hard to pick up so that kinda messed with me too. Any ideas?

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Since I left the Backroom during Brawl it's been a while since I've posted, but I guess since I've really gotten into the competitive Smash 4 scene and plan to keep going, I should share what I have about ROB here. It also kind of disappointed me to see this thread is not more developed yet. I have a large amount of experience against a very large section of the cast so here's what I've got.

Diddy Kong: 50:50 - ROB has all the tools necessary to go toe to toe with Diddy Kong. His grab game is just as effective as Diddy's is, but it often takes him a little longer to kill. Key here is forcing diddy to work around projectile with his shield and punishing with consistently spaced tilts and aerials. Diddy's will often grow frustrated and go for a monkey flip. Monkey flip base can be easily stopped on start up with a gyro shot, fair or retreating nair. The flip kick is best blocked and left to be punished with a projectile or dash attack/dash grab after it passes your shield. Learn to use banana. It is simply a third way for you to gimp diddy. dont be too greedy for dair. If Diddy needs to rocket, just hit it with anything and don't bother trying to time a dair. If you are near the ledge, be aware diddy is very unlikely to kick out of monkey flip at you due to losing his upb when he does.

Sheik: 40:60 - This gets rough. Sheik's bouncing fish is annoyingly fast, puts her over your projectile and can be done on reaction to seeing the windup for laser. Gyro uncharged does not outrange it and often leaves you open for a bouncing fish as well. Due to the nature of ROB's recovery, she can land it more easily off stage against it. Outside of this move, needles are good against us if gyro is not currently spinning on the ground and can stop a tossed gyro in mid air to protect her. I recommend fast falling retreating nairs into the ground to stop quick approaches and keep the sheik back. Follow these with ftilts or dtilts depending on the range if she comes in. Look for opportunities to net grabs because she is very vulnerable to ROB's uair. If she tries to get away with a dair for some foolish reason, this is a free punish for you (I recommend bair for the good angle it sets us up with). Off stage, we lose out entirely to her fair so try to take her out with gyro or fully charged laser. Spamming weak laser is often bad here, she is fast enough to punish it even from good distances.

Zero Suit: 40:60 - ZSS has incredibly good setups on us. Firing a paralyzer at the correct distance can often leave us in a no option scenario where we cannot punish her unless we predict the shot and short hop over it into fair (a charged one might catch ROB's huge base though). ZSS's upb off the ground is frame four, has a large hitbox and reduces SDI to 0 starting on the third hit. This means if you do not slip out right away, it can and will kill you even at around 90 percent if she has good rage. She can do it to punish ledge rolls, ledge get up and ledge attacks, making us very vulnerable at the ledge. Much like bouncing fish, her down b can be used to mvoe over ROB's projectiles, but is not as fast. I don't recommend trying to challenge it with a fair due to excessive amounts of invincibility and the fact that the kick part of the move beats our aerials. You are better off shielding and then punishing immediately with a usmash out of shield or fair. If she foolishly charges a paralyzer while you are not engaged in anything, robo-spin will reflect and freeze her, allowing you to follow through into the uppercut of it. Be aggressive in this matchup. You will not usually win at trying to camp. She can snatch gyro easily with lots of her approaches, even on accident (mostly her ff nair and dash attack will do this to you the most). Uair is not as effective on her. It will sometimes trade with her dair even when it is not in the diving variant, and her nair is quite large if you come from the wrong angle. Use air for your early combos, but I recommend getting kills through gimps, reading her recovery and continually poking her back off of the stage. Be very careful of her down b if you ever get below her off stage on accident.

Sonic: 55: 45 - Sonic is difficult. You cannot recklessly throw out moves or it is a free grab/hit. You need to be very tight in when and where you toss out attacks. Be prepared to take extra damage at the ledge if coming up vertically thanks to spring. If Sonic is spindashing at you already, you need to shield it or fire gyro. You do not have time to do anything else/will lose out in a trade (this is not technically true, if the Sonic is foolish enough to spin dash under you instead of jumping it into you when you jump, this case will let you get a free nair). Out of shield, you probably won't be able to nail the usmash unless he foolishly jumps right above you without spring (he will spring). Look to get short hop, fast fall fairs and uair follow ups. Being beneath sonic is like being beneath Sheik, so look for your grab opportunities. Press your advantage when close up. Sonics like to spot dodge, so reading these can net you some free dsmash, jabs and dtilts. Sonic tends to land in such a way that fsmash is especially effective against his landing. Space this move to keep poking him back off the level whenever he wants to get back in. Learning the timing of ROB's dair vs. Sonic's up B will make killing the blue blur off stage a lot easier for you. Don't go to anyplace with a wall for him to jump off of.

Villager: 35: 65 - Villager wrecks ROB completely and utterly. It is probably ROB's worst matchup at this point in time. MJG and I tussled a few weeks back in a Grand Finals set and it was just about the most unfun thing I've ever experienced. ROB has trouble gimping and spiking villager due to the nature of the balloon. Villager's fair and bair outrange and destroy our off stage game, allowing him to safely return through poked walling. using robo spin to reflect is actually a bad thing as Villager is safe enough after tossing projectiles to have time to pocket anything you robospin. He can also permanantly steal your gyro if he feels like or use pocket to b reverse through your aerials with invincibility. Dtilt will beat all of ROB's tilts. His Utilt and turnips destroy all of ROB's landing attacks, often forcing us to the ledge if he gets beneath. Recommended strategy? Try to get in and stay in. Poke constantly with jab and tilts, get the grabs and keep him off stage. If he camps the ledge, you may need to back off, it's very hard for us to stop any of that and very easy to get poked into a bair following by dair if we dare go off stage to stop it.

Bowser JR.: 60: 40 - ROB wins this matchup pretty handily. MR. Doom is an excellent main of Koopaling and I pretty much consistently win any sets we have. You need to learn to utilize the mecha koopas against him. Learn the timing to just pick them up with a, or you can shield them then release to a to pick them up. Our projectiles between laser and gyro combo between one another for lots of free damage whenever he tries to fire one of his slower projectiles. Beware of his up b into hammer swing especially when above him. Just fast fall and air dodge through it. If he up B and doesn't sweet spot the edge, you can jab him once or dtilt to make him fall back down past the ledge and die without getting his upb back. Alternatively, it's pretty easy to learn the timing for dair to keep him from grabbing the ledge at all. You don't need to approach much in this matchup, but staying at a mid range is recommended and just continually punish his unsafe attacks with tilts and grabs.

That's all I really want to go over right now, I hope it's helpful to some people I might write up more later if I'm feeling it.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I've noticed recently that R.O.B. does have something neat when he's fighting Villager: he can reflect the Lloid Rocket. It might not seem like much at first, but if you reflect it while he's trying to recover with it, his recovery will be completely shut down since the rocket will eventually explode while he's offstage, often resulting in a KO (or an SD if he jumps off). What's more is that if he hops off the rocket before he reaches you, it's basically a free punish as he'll either get hit by his own rocket or get caught in your Arm Rotor. It isn't anything too major, but if you're up against a Villager who continuously uses the Lloid Rocket as an approach option, you can basically put him into a Lose/Lose situation really easily. That, and it provides a perfect opportunity to get a taunt or two in as he slowly meets his demise.

Top Bottom