• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B in teams?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Haha, me too. xD
My team mate is xzx (my twin brother), and he mains Wario in teams (but his real main are Ice Climbers). Wario is a good supporter for R.O.B., he stays for all the kills.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Wario is too good in doubles. I can see that team working out pretty well, ROB on the ground and Wario in the air.

Sudai

Stuff here
In 3 matches of a Grandfinals I came back and won 2v1. This was like, 5 or 6 months ago. Sadly 2 of those were on the first set (game 4 and 5) and the 3rd was on the second set but they won that set. 2v1ing was easier than 2v2ing cause I was teaming with someone bad. lol

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Idk why but I feel the same.

Sometimes I feel better 2v1 too. o.O

Also Wario IS beast partner. I won a tournament with one. lol.

Guys, the Lucarios are currently discussing ROB as a doubles partner. Go help 'em out. The thread has a thumbs down and is stickied. It'd be awesome of you guys.

Jebril

Smash Apprentice
I am going to a tourney this weekend. However in teams I have to go Kirby. (I am teaming with a Peach main. ROB & Peach aren't very good together :() But I will be going R.O.B in singles.
But for future reference is there anyway to make ROB & Peach work well?
I logged in just to reply to this, Peach and R.O.B IMO actually work really well together. I know this because I partner with my bro Lucky in teams and do extremely well against teams. Also my bro plays with another Peach named Mura and they rank in the top 16 on the AIB Doubles Ladder. (Even though I think me and my bro make a better team than those 2, >,> <,<)

Regardless, pointers to keep in mind are that the ROB should not be laser top spammy with Peach on his team, especially if she's close by. This usually interferes with Peach's combos if it hits her and if she's being punished this will interfere with her dodging and set her up for an early kill in many situations.

Peach and ROB can actually combo teams EXTREMELY well together. Peach does great in the air, ROB has amazing tilts and smashes as well as good aerials. Peach can combo characters into D-Air and ROB can N-Air punish or U-Smash punish their DI. Peach also has a grab release that goes straight into ROB's U-Smash, (works me and my bro do it all the time on people), which is great for kills and fast.

The Peach should not go D-Air crazy on the stage around ROB as she may hit the ROB, the Peach needs to be calm and not attack too much with the ROB around as he is a big target that can easily get hit into her attacks. The ROB and the Peach can both stock tank depending on the MU, if MK's are involved for example I'd have the ROB Stock Tank with the Peach being the aggro, yeah I'd actually recommend Peach on aggro against MK, it works better than you think.

The ROB can ledge camp with laser and top and that will **** in 2 on 1s, the ROB can set himself up for N-Air or B-Air kills from planking with Peach pushing her opponents off the stage.

The ROB can save Peach if she is edgehogged or can't recover back by lasering her during parasol or U-Air or w/e works best at keeping her alive, thus keeping the Peach alive more often.

The Peach can also plank and stock tank if needed making the ROB be the aggro character which is also a great strategy depending on the MU. ROB is great in 2 on 1s, and Peach has a ton of good options off the edge. All her aerials can be preformed off the edge she can go straight from the edge to her float to the ground and shield and grab in under a second from the edge, she can throw turnips at opponents from the edge. She can edge stall with parasol although that can be broken through, it does work nice if you hit with it's tip while stalling it sets you up for a nice F-Air from the edge afterwards.

Peach's turnips and ROB's gyro are interchangeable,and Peach and ROB arguably have the two best glide toss games in Brawl. Not in terms of distance but their options from a glide toss are amazing. This works so nice, especially with ROB who can catch the turnip from a glide toss and do a continuous glide toss to a speed up Up-B and then N-Air. I dunno what it's called, I don't play ROB but it's when you Up-B from your glide toss and ROB kinda glides through the air my bro does it all the time to set up for fast kills.

Peach and ROB can cover each other pretty well, they have pretty good MU's except when it comes to MKs and G+Ws. However I honestly find that Peach does pretty good against both MK and G+W and should be covering for the ROB while he backs her up from the ledge.

Peach's worst MU in doubles is easily Snake IMO (it's probably her worst MU in general but in double it gets amplified just cuz it's even easier for the Snake to land an U-Tilt on you through all the commotion), not to fear though, ROB does pretty good against Snakes. : D

I find the two characters compliment each other very well. Sorry for the long post, I've been doing ROB and Peach dubz for a while now so I know they work well together. :]

TeeVee

Smash Lord
me and dark pch won a tourney before with rob peach...but this was back in like 08 lolol

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
No, the video was nice. You did well, but when both MK's are offstage, send a laser to G&W's bucket instead of taunting.

koing

Smash Cadet
personally im terrible in teams but then i team with a marth and a TL that have a tendency to try to control the whole field but i dont see why ROB would be that bad if you play support with lazors and gyros

Dnyce

Smash Master
How does rob do in teams? Cause when I teamed with Chibo it was like the worst experience in my dubs career.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Honestly thinking about it I don't think that ROB and Oli make a good team. They both are pretty ground based and just seem to get in each others way. its not their fault just the Sakurai made them.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Fino you played so ridiculously unsafe it was sad. Your stocks drained like a kitchen sink with a fresh batch of draino lol. Dabuz and I proves that ROB Oli is good.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Well The alternative is that ROB be the carry. And that didn't work when me and Fino teamed. I just don't see ROB and Oli being particularly good together. Unless Oli is the carry but then you have to protect him from being gimped and such.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
noodles and icylight used to do AMAZING with rob and oli...but this was back in like 08 LOL

best partner for rob is mk then game and watch, everyone else is booty. im teaming with the best zelda in the country this weekend though so im gonna see how that goes

Dnyce

Smash Master
Fino you played so ridiculously unsafe it was sad. Your stocks drained like a kitchen sink with a fresh batch of draino lol. Dabuz and I proves that ROB Oli is good.
I'm used to being the tank with Olimar, so I'm off doing my thing... and then you grab the ledge or something, and they go rush for me. Olimar already has priority problems, lmao but lets just let Olimar get hit off stage and not try to help him (or be unable too cause rob chibo is too busy grabbing the ledge) :p

EDIT: I remember against that peach zelda team I was off stage, and both went to rush for me and you walked back and started charging a gyro... lol?

but much love <3 I don't want to start trouble ;o So we'll leave it at we both doing poorly (or to sum it up poor communication).

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'll mark it up to poor communication, we had never teamed before. If you stay in the EC till VC8 lets team there

Bees!

Smash Ace
best partner for rob is mk then game and watch, everyone else is booty. im teaming with the best zelda in the country this weekend though so im gonna see how that goes
ROB and Lucario is pretty underrated.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Aren't MK then GW the best choice for a majority of the cast? :laugh:

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
iirc, I've managed second in a doubles tourney using Ness with Leisha's ROB before. The two can support each other rather well.

Laser healing, assisting Ness's recovery, Ness's bthrow securing easy kills, Ness can djc with the gyro, etc...

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B. is the best doubles camp character in the game. I think, when used correctly, he teams very well with most of the cast. He does not team very well with other camp characters (not exactly poorly, but not great) but he can enhance and contribute to most tank characters. He can even make characters not really known for their doubles metagame far more viable. After all this time using R.O.B. I finally feel confident enough to explain how I use R.O.B. with certain characters and how I use him against certain match ups.

My main doubles partner plays Lucas. Lucas can be helped tremendously by R.O.B. The main way we play is camp/tank (R.O.B. camp Lucas tank). He will go all in, trying to take on both opponents, while I attempt to control space and offer him opportunities using basic camping techniques. Depending on stage, I try to place my gyro on the ground to take up space, I use spot dodge d-smash and n-air to camp my fortress. I use lasers very, VERY often. Lucas has some of the best kill moves in the game. His problem is lag on thee attacks. Be it start up or end time lag. Well, I use R.O.B.’s lasers to speed Lucas up. To eliminate this lag time, after the move has been performed, I will shoot him with a laser. This way, there is no room for anyone to punish him. If he hits the smash, then he may get a kill and if he misses, nobody could do anything to harm him because my laser will disrupt the flow of play. When timed correctly, you can laser Lucas out of his u-smash so fast, he can actually start fighting another character while the first character is stuck in the delay of thee attack (you know, when Lucas hits an u-smash there is a moment of delay before the character goes flying into the sky. He can actually be moving around before they start flying). I use lasers to support his recovery, give him an extra attempt at recovery, increase his n-air combos, and give him health back.

While I use lasers to cover the slower characters, (Ike, Lucas, D3), I use lasers differently when partnering with faster characters. I use lasers to set up kills in favorable circumstances and to cover any time I think my partner may be punished. Sometimes, I just laser for the heck of using the laser. I try to never let my laser get to stage three.

I partnered with a Link partner for a good while. We were really good together. He was the tank character but his versatility made him an extremely good tank. With so many bomb set-ups, and other options, Link is actually a really good doubles partner for a camp R.O.B. Link has some speedy moves that can take big advantage of an aggressive laser user. I would shoot him, and our opponents to set him up for quick attacks that can kill, do damage, or take over space. Link has one of the worst recoveries in the game, but when a R.O.B. can read and laser properly, his recovery can actually become viable. I know it sounds simple, but the basics seem to be ignored by most doubles R.O.B. players. Hitting your partner with lasers can be extremely beneficial; with that being said, your partner must know how to handle being shot with the lasers. I have noticed that some players are simply not equipped, even with a little training. To handle aggressive laser camping. For example, I once shot my partner and a D3 to save my partner from certain death, but he got so upset that he ended up running right into a kill move anyway. I tried to explain how the laser actually helped him, but he did not see that as constructive for doubles.

When partnering with a Snake player, I tend to use my gyro a lot less. I do this because Snake players roll to control space while most other characters jump to control space. The result can be a Snake player rolling into the gyro unintentionally. I may also pick up the gyro but normally, I just use it less than normal. With Snake, I use lasers in a more situational circumstance. Because Snake controls ground space using grenades, I will shoot lasers around him and only laser into him when the situation is favorable. If thee opponent is between us, I will use laser to turn them towards me and give Snake a free attempt at f-tilt or if close enough, go for kills with u-tilt. I think Snake/R.O.B. is a very good team.

R.O.B.’s best partner is, by far, Metaknight. Since Metaknight is an amazing tank that controls air space very well, it is not really a surprise that he and R.O.B. make for a top five team in the game (in my opinion). R.O.B./Metaknight can handle any team. Once again, I use lasers to set up kills. Obviously, an experienced Metaknight player can handle the lasers speed, efficiency, and variety. Because of Metaknight’s air game, I can leave my gyro on the stage for board control and I thee ability to laser far more often for free.

To use lasers the way I do is something any partner will have to adjust to. It can really open up a character’s options when used well and it will really seal your threat as a legit camper. In my opinion, t0mmy is way too aggressive at times. I see how he plays singles and I love his R.O.B. in singles, but I noticed he had a Metaknight partner and he still seems to prefer tanking as opposed to camping and saving stocks. R.O.B. is best used as a camper and playing too aggressive in doubles, especially with a tank partner, can be counter-productive. I have seen it cost t0mmy and his partner matches. I just think to myself, “If he let that Metaknight take over… and support him, they would have won.”

Here is a list of characters I have teamed with where my style of camp works well:

Metaknight.
D3.
Lucas.
Ike.
Lucario.
Snake.
Link.
R.O.B.
Donkey Kong.

Here is a list of characters I seem to have trouble working with:

Fox/Falco.
Mario.
Toon Link.
Zelda.
Game and Watch.
Diddy Kong.

Everyone else I have not had enough time to come to a legit opinion on.

Video of my playstyle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyM103UYp18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsarZyBpqh8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh4rZ8prkrg

T0MMY

Smash Master
I don't know which Meta Knight you were referring to, but pretty much if I let the MK go in and I camped it would not have worked.
Maybe you really know the R.O.B. + MK team, who knows, maybe you know it better than I do, but I doubt you know the players as well as I do.
I am an aggressive player in Teams, and if I try to play the camp game my entire strategy would fall apart (I am actually really bad at camping).

Even if you believe the camping strat is the best in a given situation, it won't work for everyone. (and I don't believe it's the best strat anyway)

TeeVee

Smash Lord
I don't know which Meta Knight you were referring to, but pretty much if I let the MK go in and I camped it would not have worked.
Maybe you really know the R.O.B. + MK team, who knows, maybe you know it better than I do, but I doubt you know the players as well as I do.
I am an aggressive player in Teams, and if I try to play the camp game my entire strategy would fall apart (I am actually really bad at camping).

Even if you believe the camping strat is the best in a given situation, it won't work for everyone. (and I don't believe it's the best strat anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkxHWrw2jE8&p=66623CD52031B3F7&playnext=1&index=9

the mk spams nado whole game and play super agressive while you lazer/gyro when they try to punish. combo off his nado with nair/up air.

camping as rob while ur partner goes aggro with mk is the best way to play teams except vs a team with a good mk on it (in that situation you shouldnt even be using rob to begin with)

T0MMY

Smash Master
Allied makes more sense than you, Teevee.
More R.O.B.s > not using R.O.B. to begin with.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
TeeVee, that video is a very good example of what I was trying to explain.

And t0mmy, I am not trying to disrespect your game at all, I am just saying that you lack the diversity necessary to take your game a step further. You have to know how to be aggressive and how to camp when playing R.O.B. You also have to know when to do each of them.

I am not suggesting to have more knowledge than you, I only claim that sometimes, watching your game through my camper eyes, I can see where you could stand to chill some. You are still a great player and I am, in no way, calling you out.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I don't think you understood what I was saying: I am more valuable to my team by not camping. Keep in mind I am not good at camping, so doing so would be worse for me than someone else.

Top Bottom