• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B in teams?

Bees!

Smash Ace
I normally use Kirby for teams(because he is so good for that.) But I was wondering how viable R.O.B is in teams? How do you play him different to Singles and such. Because using both might be good for team tourneys.

Sudai

Stuff here
I play ROB the exact same in both, aside from the obvious assisting team mate when possible. I wouldn't recommend that for most ROBs, but my projectile aim was ******** good so I very rarely would hit my team mate, even when I was consistently teaming with a D3 friend.

If you do play ROB in teams, you want to team with a character that likes to stay in the air and has decent KO moves. KO moves for obvious reasons, the air character because ROB's strong point is his ground game and in teams it's usually a really good idea to have one ground based character and one air based character (of course it's always better to have characters that can switch between the two) for better stage control and various other reasons.

Bees!

Smash Ace
_______
Not very.

I play ROB the exact same in both, aside from the obvious assisting team mate when possible. I wouldn't recommend that for most ROBs, but my projectile aim was ******** good so I very rarely would hit my team mate, even when I was consistently teaming with a D3 friend.

If you do play ROB in teams, you want to team with a character that likes to stay in the air and has decent KO moves. KO moves for obvious reasons, the air character because ROB's strong point is his ground game and in teams it's usually a really good idea to have one ground based character and one air based character (of course it's always better to have characters that can switch between the two) for better stage control and various other reasons.
Ya my biggest problem is lasering my teammate. However I know a friend who plays Wario. Maybe next time I get some team friendlies with him I will go R.O.B instead of Kirby and tell him to Air camp a lot or something.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
My usual partner in teams uses Kirby. Our combination works pretty well, I camp in the back while he crowd controls with Kirby. ROB might not work so well with people that camp too, but with people with a good air game, he is pretty beast. He usually inhales me when we get a free moment, and we laser the crap out of them. XD We worked really hard on not hitting each other, so we're pretty good in that respect. When it's 2v1, we use a dthrow to dthrow chaingrab that is beast if we don't screw up, that's just us trying to be fancy, though. XD

Here's some examples. We've both gotten a lot better since this, but yea, it gets the point across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NxZFcXZV8Y (My partner told me to share stock right before he got grabbed, so yea.) =/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6HMZRKUZV8

We probably could have done better, but the Luigi used to always give me problems(I haven't played him recently), and Wafles is a pretty good MK.

Trillest

Smash Ace
Robs good in doubles, the only time i avoid my precious is against double mk teams ><

I tend to find the chaos creates a lot more opportunities for gimps and laser is a good way to save your teammates from grab/lock shenanigans. The main difference in my play is I'll never fully charge drigger(gyro) I just spit him out and play around him ^^

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Probably because he's a ground based character. :p
Yes but hes a very good one, except he was crazy agro. So it was mostly him charging and me watching his back, about a 50% chance of him just destroying their team vs. them destroying him and me having to save him.

I prefer to be the tank/camper in dubs anyways, we saved my moves for kills.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
how well would wolf work with robert?
I played some friendly dubs with Kain a few weekends ago. It might have just been me, but we didn't seem to do too well against people. Wolf seems too ground based to be an effective teammate with ROB, but like I said, that might just be me. XD I'm really used to my dubs partners being in the air, so I accidentally hit him with lasers and gyros when I tried to camp. He pretty much had to carry the team. I don't consider myself a bad ROB either, I actually took a game off of Kain once in pools, and he is a ridiculously good Wolf.

Wolf works really well with Kirby, though. Kirby's too good in teams.

Sudai

Stuff here
My favorite team mate is GnW, fyi. Lives forever (yay bucket breaking), has a good glide toss using your gyro, can play air or ground(really air, but just low air which=ground imo), and has good KOs. This also gives you the versatility to use charged or uncharged lasers since he can just bucket the big ones, just make sure you have a system for when to do it.

Plus GnW UAir to ROB Spike is just ****ed sexy. XD

TheMike

Smash Lord
MK is a good partner for everybody, including himself lolz
Snake and DDD are also nice options for ROB.

Sudai

Stuff here
ROB does best with:

-MK
-GnW
-DK (only if you can aim around him)
-DDD (only if you can aim around him)
-ZSS
-Kirby

from my experience.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I teamed with an MK twice, it was so fun :D

I like rob's laser, its combo kill, and save the team mate so well when they are in trouble :D. I play pretty much the same in teams aside from what sudai said like out u shud help ur teammate.

Bees!

Smash Ace
What about Wario? He stays in the air. Kills really well. And benefits from having ROB to deal with Marth. (Grab release can get interrupted by laser ^^. I also could see GnW. He kills so well.

Bees!

Smash Ace
You know we should work on a teams thread that talks about team strategies with characters and which ones are the best (Like the Kirby Boards.) What are the strengths and weaknesses to deal with. I know ROB might not be a flexible as Kirby. But maybe this can lead to some new discoveries or advances in ROB's metagame.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
ROB best partner are usually the smallest one, Snake is a very good one. ROB is good at racking dmg and Snake kills. Anyway ROB is great in teams, except against double mk like most people have mentioned. You're better off going MK yourself when this occur.

Trillest

Smash Ace
/agree with holy. Though every time i'm involved in a 4 player mk fest my smash soul dies a LOT inside. the only problem i have teaming with snake is if he isnt 100% on top of his nades and c4 placement this little robot tends to explode ><

nuke288

Smash Rookie
Personally. I main with Rob or Kirby. And a few rules I follow with Rob are...

Rule #1: If you can't aim or time your projectiles to hit your opponents more than hitting your teammate, then get better at it or don't bring him into a team match.

Rule # 2: If you can choose a teammate that knows your style and is use to playing with robs/you, then do so. If he can't learn to dodge some of your lasers and gyros to help with combos and throwing the opponent off balance, then he either isn't a team player or just really isn't that good at dodging and keeping track of what's going on around him.

Reasoning: A good team is in sync with each other's moves and should be aware of the battlefield as a whole and not just who they are fighting at the moment. Otherwise your gonna hit your teammate on accident or a teammate is gonna get killed off quickly because the other teammate didn't realize his other teammate needed back up. Use the fact that there is two of you instead of one to your advantage is what I am basically saying.

Example: Rob's gyro arcs, can bounce, and can bounce off shields. Gryo = potential chaos. Whether the chaos goes to your advantage is up to you and your teammate. Imagine your teammate is about to get double teamed if your off the stage. You throw the gyro at the opponents.

Two possible (general) scenarios.

Good:

You get the shot right and you can either hit them directly or place in front of your teammate to use as an obstacle or block. If they come from different sides it could slow one of them down or leave them open for attack if they get hit. Making it a 1 on 1 instead of a 2 on 1 leaving you time to get back and help. Or if they come from the same side you can slow them both or give your teammate a chance to hit them if they both manage to fall into the gyro trap.

Bad:

Your aim and timing is off so your teammate gets hit instead or you miss everyone completely so nothing's changed.

Trust me on the fact that when a rob is working for you instead of against you he can literally fight one person and support his teammate across the stage at the same time. Just think about it and if you really start to get good with him in teams you'll see the potential there. Cause even though I said be aware of the battlefield as a whole doesn't mean everyone else does it perfectly all the time or at all, so you can use this to your advantage to throw projectiles in the chaos.

Note: Gyro is not the only thing is in his arsenal.

Thanks for posting this. It is a good question to ask about Rob since he is not meant for a beginner or beginning Rob player in teams.

If you are serious about playing him in teams practice (if you can't support well or play well as a ROB in teams just figure out what you could do better at and practice), pick a good team member (not just character, but actual skill or team sync the player has with you and others), and be a team player. (basically as mentioned in my rules lol)
Then you'll do fine.

If you want me to be more specific then just let me know. This is just for general rules that I personally take into account for teams with a rob player.

Raffi815

Smash Cadet
R.O.B. could be a good stock tank in teams if he camps and spams lasers & projectiles. Double G&W or Double MKs are the worst match ups for R.O.B. in dubs.

Sudai

Stuff here
That's what Me and Lee Martin did that -forever- ago. I would stock tank for his Lucario or MK depending on the MU. I edge camped all game every game. We got 1st every tourney we did that in. XD

Bees!

Smash Ace
Actually a friend of mine mains Lucario and since you guys mentioned the stock tank concept. It would go a long perfect for that. I think its called the anubis or something. Since Lucario is more powerful when he is down stock. R.O.B can just camp and tank. Making Lucario a beastly furry. Also good team combos for characters would be helpful.
For example Kirby and MK. Kirby can SH an aerial swing out of MKs dthrow and its guaranteed if timed correctly. I am sure with ROB dthrow properties it can open up some interesting team strings.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Hey Sudai.
Yeah my ROB has gotten much better.
Check out this video of a doubles match i've had with a Link player (ALSM, but you probably may know him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0MvB6dcnAA&feature=related

The last 10 seconds of the match I wanted to ask someone....could the snake player (kovu) get out of that situation or was he doomed for a FSmash out of ROB's house? lol

On a side note, we were kinda confused at the beginning because we're so used to facing one another that we forgot we were on teams for a minute so yeah haha...

solecalibur

Smash Master
I know G&W's bucket would be weak but wouldn't you find it useful with the fact that you can fill his bucket from across the screen? and just say beep when your shooting it in his direction?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Me and my twin brother usually play R.O.B. + Wario, and it works excellent! I stand for the damage and camping, and my brother for the kills and air game. We are the top 3 team on AiB. The key is to cooperate (you have to do grab combos) very well and well... communicate, which we can in contrast to others.

Top Bottom