• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

@G~P: lol I am not sure if we ever discuss important stuff. We give the illusion that we do. Most of the time its random snake stuff. Well, Utilt will beat out Nado when spaced right.

@Gheb: Nah. Your olimar buddies are too afraid to do anything except try to shield.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
So spaced ftilt is better frame-wise. More reason to space well lol. Can I assume it's safer on shield, also?

Anyway, hey guys. Been playing this game for forever but I've only recently (as in, few weeks) picked up snake as a secondary character to ike. I'm Primarily using snake to deal with MK, Olimar and Wario. So I need to ask a few questions about them 3 in particular. All i need to know is what specific grenade things should I be donig to those characters in particular, what moves should I be using more/less against these 3, Etcetc.
Use lots of grenades. They keep mk out, limit warios Landing, and give you an approach against olimar.

Mk is gay and you'll have to be extremely cautious; Oli hates our ftilt1 and dash attack, and wario struggles with retreating pivot grabs.

Watch lots of videos.

:phone:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Cool, cheers, I already have a rough idea of what to do but i have to ask, What sort of grenade cooking tactics work best against each of the characters? most notably wario and olimar. Because no-one uses MK in the UK lol

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Havok, Razer and 2010 Shu are the only Snakes worth studying when it comes to the Olimar match-up imo. All of them use effective tactics in a different way - Havok punishes Olimar's landings well, Razer is good at approaching him and Shu used to have some cool tricks to deal with his camping. Overall, I recommend to not camp vs Olimar ... not only is it a losing battle [unless you're perfect] but it's also not even needed to successfully play the match-up imo.

Wario hardly exists anymore and the character is kinda easy to counter ... not sure what to tell you whom to watch. Probably should just check out the recent match-up discussion we've had.

MK ... is hard. But I don't think we're disadvantaged as long as we don't get into offstage / juggle position. You just gotta play really well all around on stage / neutral position. Not too much camping, know when the time is right to draw a nade, know when to activate camp modus ... if you can get a stock lead that way you've done yourself a great favor already.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Kuroobi is so weird. Like, I honestly can't tell why he even is as successful as he is [even though he's already starting to do worse again] because he seems to be bad in like ... every match-up. Olimar in particular 0_0

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Havok, Razer and 2010 Shu are the only Snakes worth studying when it comes to the Olimar match-up imo. All of them use effective tactics in a different way - Havok punishes Olimar's landings well, Razer is good at approaching him and Shu used to have some cool tricks to deal with his camping. Overall, I recommend to not camp vs Olimar ... not only is it a losing battle [unless you're perfect] but it's also not even needed to successfully play the match-up imo.

Wario hardly exists anymore and the character is kinda easy to counter ... not sure what to tell you whom to watch. Probably should just check out the recent match-up discussion we've had.

MK ... is hard. But I don't think we're disadvantaged as long as we don't get into offstage / juggle position. You just gotta play really well all around on stage / neutral position. Not too much camping, know when the time is right to draw a nade, know when to activate camp modus ... if you can get a stock lead that way you've done yourself a great favor already.

Gheb, why are you in like, every social lol

And fair enough. I have plenty of time to watch videos to get a handle on the matchup, so that i shall do

yea dude that was the ****. I literally jumped out of my seat when he killed the MK after the C4 tech.
WTB this video :)

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
To be honest G~P, I don't know if snake is the secondary you want to use for the olimar matchup. It's one of my favorite matchups as a snake main, and once you learn it it really isn't that difficult, but you have to put in a lot of time to do so. I'm not sure what olimar-ike is, but there are better secondaries you can pick up for olimar.

Off the top of my head, Falco and ics are very good ones to try, for reference.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
To be honest G~P, I don't know if snake is the secondary you want to use for the olimar matchup. It's one of my favorite matchups as a snake main, and once you learn it it really isn't that difficult, but you have to put in a lot of time to do so. I'm not sure what olimar-ike is, but there are better secondaries you can pick up for olimar.

yawn why can't cut the dirty linnen and go right to the big dog instead of wasting time?

Heartstring

Smash Legend

Snake is just about the only good character that I can use lol
And olimar isnt the only issue, I also have wario (not that bad for ike, I just hate it) and MK
Falco does seem like the preferable option to this issue, But my technical ability is through the floor courtesy of disability :D
And olimar-ike is 100-0 (not really, buts its a BAD -2)

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Viper, I'm not sure why you seem to be antagonizing me but I believe it is uncalled for.

I don't really have any tech skill either G~P, lol. I also don't know of any good snake v wario vids, but I personally learned Snake-oli by watching this vid and playing with Fino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm11UMyDcOU

I'm not comfortable enough in the mk matchup yet to help other than to give advice on some things not to do >_> but there are plenty of vids on that matchup anyway. Good luck!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Viper, I'm not sure why you seem to be antagonizing me but I believe it is uncalled for.

I don't really have any tech skill either G~P, lol. I also don't know of any good snake v wario vids, but I personally learned Snake-oli by watching this vid and playing with Fino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm11UMyDcOU

I'm not comfortable enough in the mk matchup yet to help other than to give advice on some things not to do >_> but there are plenty of vids on that matchup anyway. Good luck!
tl;dr of what viper meant: Just pick MK instead of messing around with other characters

And thanks, I will be research videos endlessly. It's weird, Im watching these videos and seeing that good snake mains play relatively aggro, Yet whenever I play people keep telling me to stand back and throw more grenades. Is the whole aggro/defensive argument subjective to certain matchups?

I almost fell out of my chair, That was godly

I just laugh. I laugh and I laugh at how that should have been their match.
\
And thanks, I will be research videos endlessly. It's weird, Im watching these videos and seeing that good snake mains play relatively aggro, Yet whenever I play people keep telling me to stand back and throw more grenades. Is the whole aggro/defensive argument subjective to certain matchups?
Subjective to match-up, stage, preference, and opponent.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
cool, my preference is aggro while still pissing people off with godly spacing so a less grenady snake is how im going about it

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I agree, if your spacing and reading ability is good you can play as aggro as you want pretty much. I hate camping and only switch to defensive playing in certain situations and still do really well.

I don't know what it is, but I haven't really used snake for a few weeks now. The past two tourneys, I didn't care and went all peach/DK. I've only used DK for a few weeks, but he does work lol.

:phone:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
dair is a great move against people who don't SDI however. Unfortunately the only people who don't SDI are bad at the game.

When I use Zelda's dtilt lock vs bad people (australia = lots of bad people), most of them stand up and go "OMFG STANDING INFINITE" because they have no notion as to what SDI or DI is.

Dair kills lightweights at like, 80%, even less with awful DI, so I use it to make sets end faster.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
hnnnng, I really, really want to go to Melbourne. I'm hoping to go down with Toki either when Tech_Chase is there or the month after when that big tournament's on.

We'll see what happens I guess~

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i didn't think dair was anything better than situational. after having calzorz owning the entire country for a few years, all of the uk are pretty adept at sdi-ing snake stuff.

then again, killing with dair is satisfying

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Snake dair should always be aimed to hit with the last two hits if possible. Those two are really good.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
query for you guys.

my wii is broken. it turns on and stuff, but there is no video output. so i cant see anything. took it to nintendo, and apparently my circuit board is broken, and i need to get a new wii.

that's fine. i've had it for ages anyway.

but i've got a fair bit of data on the system that i'd prefer to get back, if possible. namely brawl replays.

i've installed homebrew and bootmii (i think that's what it's called), if that makes any difference. i'm aware that i'd be doing the process blind, but that's something i'm willing to do (i once region converted my wii on a ntsc tv, which was almost blind).

any ideas or tips?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I thought i had an idea involving capture cards, But then I realised it still wouldnt work courtesy of the wii itself
If you could work off sound alone (which seems manageable but boring), then you could transfer ALL of the videos to a blank SD-card, plug it into someone elses wii and then trim out all of the ones you dont want to keep

Turazrok

Smash Master
I miss the og snake forum.

Nostalgia when I looked at my friends list and saw Leafybug Underload and all the old gang

RIP

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
This may not be the place for it, but how/where do I report inflammatory pms? Sorry Aerodrome.

New subject; what do you guys think about Ally's grenade usage against esam's pika in game 3 of this set that just happened at sktar? I think it could use some analysis because it looks like a good example of how grenades should be used for newer players. Xeylode?

edit: derp forgot link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM2fm6DGUK4&t=9m41s

@Aero/Shmot/Cecil: I never play DK's enough to remember I can come down on him when he does his DownB. I forgot about what other things you could abuse that special landing feature for. I know you can drop through platforms because of this and it looks pretty flashy. As shmot said, I only ever found it useful for landing on my own mine since most people expect me to blow up on it I suspect.

@Bonds:
New subject; what do you guys think about Ally's grenade usage against esam's pika in game 3 of this set that just happened at sktar? I think it could use some analysis because it looks like a good example of how grenades should be used for newer players. Xeylode?
That first stock in the 3rd match is a good example of what I was trying to get at about the tosses. Medium toss to get up to lower platforms. Puts pressure on people up there. If your forced to shield when using it, you either pick it up and throw it at them or get behind the nade to go pull another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zM2fm6DGUK4#t=922s Ally tried dashing forward past pikachu after dthrow. I was looking into this the other day after I was reminded of Ally suggesting it awhile back. Snake can dash forward after dthrow on most characters and shield before their get-up attack comes out. I found out that against pikachu, DK, Yoshi, and ICs, their attack comes out too fast before snake can put shield up if he tries dashing past. Another random to know about I guess.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
I always get hit when I dash after dthrow lol

A lot of the people I play wait a second before choosing an option, and if I dash they know it's a free hit/getup and grab if they're at low %s.

That DOES leave most characters open to jabbing though, so take that as you will.

I thought the way he was using nades (dropping behind him and utilting) probably has good application when you cook the grenades like he was, in just about any matchup where grabs are dangerous for us. It seems to me like he was baiting a shieldgrab or a dash oos so they would trade or his opponent would just get blown up and not him.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I find that if you catch people who wait a second with an f-tilt/some other punish enough then they usually stop doing that lol. Also has anyone else noticed how weird japanese players are when it comes to Snake's tech chasing? :v It seems like the do nothing option just stops Snake players in their tracks lol.

Top Bottom