• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I watched a bunch of the apex videos yesterday, just WATCHING E§Å|\/| vs razer was hurtful :/ I don't know as though I'm sold on Pikachu being "Snake's worst MU" but it just highlighted all the frustrating things about Snake

All the good MK vids also made me sad, Näirõ and A££y especially, it's so good to see people actually succeeding with a pressure based style in brawl. Maybe MK was too good but I can't see the game being better now with flowchart camping Olimars and Diddy Kongs being the biggest beneficiaries

etecoon

Smash Hero
I love the nade games that a lot of japanese Snakes have, only a little that I can practically imitate because I have the bad combination of being a klutz AND having a bad controller, but a lot of good creativity as well as being insanely technically proficient

I also love the fact that choking MK makes a squeaky toy sound in their game...

You don't need to rely on someone else kicking out the competition from the tourney or having to get a nice bracket ride to the top. Just go and kick them out of the bracket and assert domiance over the region.

That Dabuz is going to ride Da Bus out of that bracket after losing to you.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Yeah I never understood bracket complaints. I never actually became anywhere near that good but to me the idea was to be able to beat every single person at the venue.

Free money is nice though, I won two tournaments that no one good showed up to, so there is always that bonus if you live in an easy region <_<

Jrugs

Smash Ace
False don't pick a secondary or you wont learn the pika MU, (razer almost has it mastered) you've gotten soo much better from before don't stop soloing him now. Btw I still want that mm lol

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
You don't need to rely on someone else kicking out the competition from the tourney or having to get a nice bracket ride to the top. Just go and kick them out of the bracket and assert domiance over the region.

That Dabuz is going to ride Da Bus out of that bracket after losing to you.
Well no especially the fact that Olimar is basically the only MU I cannot absolutely play, but I get him R2 was kinda annoying lol

Sure Jrugs. xDDD I can go whoever I want I presume? o:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Well no especially the fact that Olimar is basically the only MU I cannot absolutely play, but I get him R2 was kinda annoying lol

Sure Jrugs. xDDD I can go whoever I want I presume? o:
Last line didn't quite make sense? any way but you live in NYC I know soon you will have Pika and Oli mastered. You have the luxury of playing dabuz as many times as you want. Pika may be harder though :p Idk what pikas you have.

DiskaSM

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I never understood bracket complaints. I never actually became anywhere near that good but to me the idea was to be able to beat every single person at the venue.

Free money is nice though, I won two tournaments that no one good showed up to, so there is always that bonus if you live in an easy region <_<
Well, the bracket thing is really important when you live in a good region like False does (or I do). Let's say you struggle a lot against a certain character. If you have to play a decent player of that character that you struggle against early in the bracket, then you go to losers. You have to play a lot more games in loser's to make it to loser's finals. But if you hadn't had to fight that troublesome matchup in winner's bracket, you could have gone a lot further with fewer games.

Or you could end up having to fight a top player like ADHD first match in winner's bracket. For some of us who aren't as good as he is, that's almost an auto-loss. So you go to loser's bracket right away. Going to loser's bracket is bad cause it's your last chance, and like I said you have to play a heck of a lot more games to get to the finals.

We could also use Razer as an example here. He beat ADHD at Apex (right? I'm not 100% sure on this xD), but lost to Esam. Now let's imagine that in a typical tournament, Esam would usually lose to ADHD. In that case, if Razer got stacked against Esam right off the bat, he would (theoretically) lose. But if Razer gets someone easier and ADHD has to fight Esam, then (again, theoretically) ADHD would beat Esam, removing the threat for the moment. Then Razer could beat ADHD and proceed in the bracket. It would be a lot easier for him that way.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Most people understand the bracket concept. I think he was trying to say that your goal should be to get good enough so you can beat everyone and it doesn't matter who you play or when you play them, cause you're going to win.

:phone:

etecoon

Smash Hero
It's an attitude thing. Obviously an easier bracket helps but as a player you want to go into every set thinking that you won't lose, if you look at the bracket and start projecting yourself into losers at some point it's going to become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Harder brackets are nice.

My most satisfying tourney win was when played the first, second and third seeds in bracket.

Beat everyone that's good and you can really call yourself a winner.

It's funny that in a ton of stories, you see this ideology of wanting to win. Wanting to beat everyone. You won't back down. None of that stuff helps you win in the end lol

The only thing it does is it keeps you coming back for more matches whether you win or lose over and over again.

I keep feeling like real improvement only comes in a few stages.

One, control. Practice, practice, practice. Practice until you and properly achieve what needs to be done in a given situation. You get caught in a CG spike against, Falco, you should have the ability to SDI that into the stage.

Second seems to be knowledge. Knowledge more so in Melee I feel rather than in Brawl. Knowing how you can extend a combo or place your opponent into bad positions to achieve more damage and ultimately land a KO. Also knowing other stuff.

And the last thing seems to be mentality. As I said, if you only thinking about "**** I can't lose, why am I losing" That 1 second span you took to think about that, you wasted time and were on autopilot the whole time. Who knows if you managed to DI thing your got hit by or realized what was inevitably going to happen next.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Having the right attitude won't make you win but it will prevent you from beating yourself, that particular component is more about playing to your abilities more than actually increasing your abilities

That makes more sense. There are a ton of moments in melee where I just get completely overwhelmed by the fast pace and what the heck is going on. So much so that my mentality does turn a bit destructive and I completely lose focus on whats going on. Burying myself a hole acts as a nice analogy lol

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
What category does asking for a hard bracket fall under? X is number one here, and I'm so tired of him talking crap on everyone I asked the TO to put me against him first round.

Last tourney I was super sick and out of it, so I lost second round when I shouldn't have only to win the next seven rounds and take third. :)

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
He lost to the first fox he's ever fought lol. You can't try to say that someone who takes out tons of "top" players in tourney (he even took m2k to game five in sin2 GFs, iirc) isn't good. Props to nikat though for pulling through.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Lol you guys are missing the point. I never tried to claim he was better or anything. I know NJ is a better state than Utah when it comes to quality/quantity of players. I just asked if it is crazy to want to go up against #1 first round.

Just forget it.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Thats not crazy to want to fight number, but it is BS to get number 1 like 2nd round. Especially dabuz. Now fighting number 1 (or in false's case Dabuz) like in finals that would be hype.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
are your brackets seeded?

we normally have top four seeds at separate corners of the bracket, but not much else is altered with.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yes. The earliest I'd ever fight him is winners semis. Our TO refused to put us against each other :(

Edit: They try to seed the top 10 the best they can and the rest is kinda whatever.

Zajice, I love you. We need to attend the same tourney again, I wanna play you.

Top Bottom