• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

RATED

Smash Lord
So I been reading it since I posted here my reply and... I ****ING love Snake boards. I am starting to read right now chapter 44.

Eiji = Epic , I LOL'd hard when he said that the guy from Otter( the one who doesnt like to do manga, his name is weird) Eiji said " he's a good person even though he's Weird" LOL at weird coming from That character.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man, I hate anime/manga character's names.

They're so random and weird it's hard to remember what name belongs to who. Even harder to pronounce them.

Like, I walked in here, read the last 5-10 posts and I can't even tell what's going on.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't recall ever having that problem

final fantasy tactics is really bad with that, any time I've played it I can't comprehend the plot because I get all the characters mixed up

All of you who have problems with remembering names for a plot, I think that is a common trend. Its easy to remember english names you grew up with since you hear them all the time. If you hear the name Kenneth, it is likely not the first time you have heard that name before. Therefore, it is easy to remember someone who is called kenneth for the first time.

Although, if you hear the Erysalum (actual name, I might have botched the spelling), it is like learning a new word in english. You have to commit it to memory before it starts to sink in the next time you hear it. This way, I think it is useful to go over someone's name over and over again the first time you see it to get it memorized. While I might not have it for long term memory, it is certainly in there short term that I can recognize who is being spoken about when the name comes up.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think part of the problem is a name like that isn't even clear on how it's pronounced. if I'm watching an anime then you hear the name so it's easy to remember even if it's different, you can't remember something that you don't know to begin with, wtf is erysalum...

I have no idea on that name yeti (= etecoon). A person form one of my classes is from egypt, and I have the pronouciation close, but I am totally unsure of the spelling.

I have that problem with chinese names. Anytime I try to pronouce them, someone comes along and messes up what I thought it was.

The romanization of different langauges requires alteration of sounds of letters we are familiar with. It simply so happens that a combination of french and english is enough to get extremely close to the pronoucation of romanized japanese. I swear most of romanzied japanese looks exactly how it is spelt. The only issue I run into is when you start throwing in multiple vowels at the same time. Or even repeat vowels.

Then again, simply knowing how the words are broken up is a big help is knowing how to pronouce them. Non-vowels are fairly unchanged from english pronoucation. "i" in japanese romanji is more of an "e" sound. And "e" is more like an "a" sound when used after a non-vowel. Apart from that, you can get really close to the actual pronoucation.

Tsukune is pretty straight forward.
Tsu-ku-ne.
"ne" -> "nay"
"ku" -> "couth"
"tsu" is a little harder. You end the wording like "sue", but you still have to tack on part of a "t" sound at the beginning.

Yoshi
Yo-shi
"yo" as in "yo-yo"
"shi" as in "she"

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd be fine with a character named Bob.

Hell, one of the best characters in Tekken 6 is named Bob.

And names can be interesting without being complicated. I mean, let's take Golden Sun for example. Isaac, Felix, Piers, Saturos, Menardi. They're all interesting names, but they're not crazy and I actually remembered them after hearing them once.

I don't even know how to pronounce most names in anime. I just know that there's a general rule, that if it ends with an "e" it makes an "ay" sound.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I could see manga but why wouldn't you know in anime where they actually say it

idk maybe I've watched it too much so the pronounciation is natural now lol, except the really weird ones like krillin's japanese name...I mean I know it, but I don't think I could say it, it's kind of a weird language specific thing like rolling r's in spanish

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well in an anime, if it's said enough times it drills into my head eventually. It's reading the names that's hard. And sometimes I'll know a characters name, but when I see it spelled out, I'll have no idea that it's that person's name.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i wouldn't be able to remember saturos or menardi after hearing them once. felix isaac and piers ... yeah. but those are because they're actual names i've heard before.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be able to see/hear felix without my inner monologue completing it with "trix"

stupid brawl community :/

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, it's the same way with characters in like Shakespeare that all have italian names or something. But my problem there is that they all blend together and I start thinking two different people are the same person rather than having no idea who one person is.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
False, how do i become a better flashier snake?

Whenever i play people i know, im forced to go back to standard campy snake because i cant figure out how to go Sexy Modo.

thats bad :c

As I was reading an article for a class on the Edo period, I found out that there was once a belief in catfish (namazu) causing earthquakes. When I remember that whiscash is a water/ground pokemon, it makes sense why they made that pokemon :D

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I got a $5 gift card to Cold Stone as a reward for placing first in Super Wisdom Teeth Surgery IV.

Well, people are right. The only infinites that happen are stage specific and match-up specific. Very few of them actually exist or happen anyway. In all likelihood, I never expect to run into an infinite I could have otherwise avoided. I have no qualms about it.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Well, people are right. The only infinites that happen are stage specific and match-up specific. Very few of them actually exist or happen anyway. In all likelihood, I never expect to run into an infinite I could have otherwise avoided. I have no qualms about it.
Me either. I just mean for other characters. I feel bad for them. I also don't agree with both brinstar and RC. If one were taken away it would be way better.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032
You want something to discuss, the first BBR approved ledge grab limit rule. Not sure whether to be glad or sad.
Why would you be sad about that? I'm in favor of banning planking all together, but I can't think of a way to do that without it being subjective

Only thing i disagree with is the infinites allowed.
Me either. I just mean for other characters. I feel bad for them. I also don't agree with both brinstar and RC. If one were taken away it would be way better.
Who has infinites? Besides Icys, Marth on Ness/Lucas, and Yoshi on Wario

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
ddd on dk,bowser,mario,samus afaik
and on some stages he has wall infinites on almost the whole cast

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Ye... I completely forgot about them lol

And I had just rushed back to edit my post so I'm not stupid, but now it's too late :(

jbandrew

Smash Lord
How much more % does DDD get off a small step CG across FD(for example)?
Stupid amounts of %. Let's just say that DDD can LOOK like he's doing the infinite on DK while small step chaingrabbing. thats how small the step is.... its baaaaad for us.

Mike2

Smash Ace
That's what I was afraid of.

I have a new secondary. I wanted to go all Snake. I really did. Hope you guys can understand. bawwww

Top Bottom