• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quit hating on 4th Gen Pokemon for no ****ing reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
God, I hate it when someone says anything about Pokémon and then someone HAS to come in citing facts of how great the competitive aspect is. Especially when someone is referring to something (e.g. "The Pokémon suck.") and they take everything as competitive (e.g. "NO THEY DON'T! LOOK HOW MANY POKEMON ARE OU!")
I'm just gonna address this part of the post because you sound hella serious/angry and I don't wanna deal with that, lol. I think when he said "They suck", he meant that most of the 4th gen pokemon are useless. That's what I got out of it anyway. If that's the case, I think Ugg bringing up the competetive aspect of Pokemon was pretty justified.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Dude, at first you constanly replying to me was cute. Now it's just disturbing.
I posted like, three posts before you. It's odd coincidence that we tend to post in the same threads.

Hee hee hee There's always two sides to a story, son. I mean seriously, it DOES happen. I just Smashboards as a scapegoat cause it's Smashboards. lol
Your point...? I'm not guilty of that. I personally don't understand why people find the incessant need to point fingers and find reasons why someone might disagree with them and instead just accept the fact that they have a different opinion.

I mean, seriously, let me ponder this; so let's assume someone loves first and second gen, and HATES third and fourth, and it's PURELY due to nostalgia. If the kind of games they generally like were taken into account, they would actually feel exactly the opposite.

Unless they're telling you you should agree with them, WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE CARE SO MUCH?!

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Well, in order of the best gens 4>3>2>1. That's how it is. Doesn't mean I don't prefer 1st Gen over the 4th Gen.

And about Nostalgia.....usually, people acuse others of that because it's true. Again, that's not always true. For example, I vastly prefer Kirby's Adventure to Kirby Squeak Squad because Adventure is a far better game, not for nostalgia reasons. I really was only bringing that up because very commonly it is nostalgia. I'm not accusing everyone of it.

I love how everyone in this thread is spouting examples of Pokémon from every generation that are weird/uncreative in some way in order to say "HEY LOOK FIRST GEN HAD PROBLEMS TOO THEREFORE FOURTH GEN IS A-OKAY".
This was just to make a point. But again, the 1st Gen is more flawed than the 4th Gen. Really broken, very glitchy, little story compared to Gen 4....

This is all because Pokemon wasn't expected to become popular. Notice how quickly the Blue version was rushed out in Japan. It was improving the graphics to make the game better for it's presentation in other countries. No changes in story at all. Yellow improved upon that and added a couple new mechanics. Each game improved upon the previous flaws.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Your point...? I'm not guilty of that.[ I personally don't understand why people find the incessant need to point fingers and find reasons why someone might disagree with them and instead just accept the fact that they have a different opinion.
Yet it's okay when people who think old>>>new (whether nostalgia blinded or not) does it. Why?

And to be clear, I'm not saying you do that. Whatever negative comment I say about gamers never involve you as an example. So don't take whatever I say personally.

I mean, seriously, let me ponder this; so let's assume someone loves first and second gen, and HATES third and fourth, and it's PURELY due to nostalgia. If the kind of games they generally like were taken into account, they would actually feel exactly the opposite.
???

Unless they're telling you you should agree with them, WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE CARE SO MUCH?!
This is a gaming site, what do you expect? People to just up and accept that somebody probably bashes their favorite game?

Yeah, that's just it. [/sarcasm]
I swear to god, it's impossible to like old games/dislike new games these days without accused of being blinded by nostalgia. I'm so freaking sick of it.
(Is it just me, or are the User Blogs becoming more like a plethora of rage topics?)

Hm... I find nostalgia to be a good thing.

And yet so many reject the ones that enjoy old games.
I love old games; anywhere between 1989-2002, the video games are amazing, there is not much past that time where games are incredible and touching.
What? And shall I be scolded for being blinded by nostalgia? Let people have their opinions.

Back on Topic:

The 4th Generation, in my opinion, was not as good as the others.
After playing Diamond and Platinum, I did not feel the rush to become a Pokemon Master like I did when I played Red, Yellow, Silver, Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire, and Emerald.

Some of the 4th Gen Pokemon do look a little... Lacking. Some made me cringe when I saw them.
I became bored with Platinum and once I beat the Elite Four, I stopped playing that game because all that was left was Online Battling and the Battle Frontier... Not what I like.
Overall, I would give Platinum a 6 or 7 out of 10. Good storyline, albeit short, but just does not have the "I am going to master Pokemon!" feel to it. :(

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I can't speak for the rest of the people, but I do love the 4th gen's legendaries most of all... well the strongest or the cheapest one's that is. Giratina, Darkrai, Dialga, Palkia, Shaymin, (sky form), and Arceus. Though I really hate double Darkrai however.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The 4th Generation, in my opinion, was not as good as the others.

Some of the 4th Gen Pokemon do look a little... Lacking.

I became bored with Platinum and once I beat the Elite Four, I stopped playing that game because all that was left was Online Battling and the Battle Frontier... Not what I like.

Good storyline
I quoted all of the parts that made me chuckle to myself.

4th generation wasn't as good as the others? It was the most improved, all the previous problems were fixed, the graphics improved, they added new Pokemon, despite being ones you don't like. I'm pretty sure this is a "you just got older" moment.

4th gen had the most to offer.

"all that was left is online battling and frontier" -- That's more than you can say for any other Pokemon game.

Good storyline? The ****? Pokemon has a plot?

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
Any generation past the first one sucked! The game began to get too big, no longer requiring the already difficult 100% completion by gathering all 151 pokemon, but the show and game itself began to lose its brilliance. At this very moment I am watching every single episode of the first season of pokemon and remembering why I love it so much. All the newer generations are too hardcore and have lost that companionship feeling only the first generation had. The pokemon are also getting increasingly uglier as the developpers run out of ideas.

I do not wish to sound like I am bashing on 4th gen and neglecting everything you said. I just wish to express my opinion on what happened to the show/games I grew to love.
hahahaha i did the exact same recently but i can appreciate the other generations too they just dont stand up to 1st generation at all

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
when i first played 4th Gen, I dunno, i just got turned off a bit. but the new features were really cool. However my favorite is still 2nd gen, then 1st gen. For me the only reason i didnt break my emerald was because I loved Gardevoir :/

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So how come it's okay for people who likes the older games to look down on people who like newer games better? (And I'm NOT saying you do this so don't get your panties in a bunch)
If you can find a quote where I actually said it WAS okay for people to do that then I'll actually address this, because until then I would stand by the opinion that I've expressed before, that I hate elitists in general and it doesn't matter what kind they are.

I think when he said "They suck", he meant that most of the 4th gen pokemon are useless. That's what I got out of it anyway. If that's the case, I think Ugg bringing up the competetive aspect of Pokemon was pretty justified.
When Skyler said that fourth gen has "very few good Pokémon", he meant their designs. He even said that:

I wasn't talking about competitive play. I meant the Pokemon suck, as in, their design sucks.
Well, in order of the best gens 4>3>2>1. That's how it is. Doesn't mean I don't prefer 1st Gen over the 4th Gen.
...What are you talking about? There is NO objective list of the "best" games, even with room for preference.

And about Nostalgia.....usually, people acuse others of that because it's true. Again, that's not always true. For example, I vastly prefer Kirby's Adventure to Kirby Squeak Squad because Adventure is a far better game, not for nostalgia reasons. I really was only bringing that up because very commonly it is nostalgia. I'm not accusing everyone of it.
And again, why exactly do we care so much even if it IS the case?

This was just to make a point. But again, the 1st Gen is more flawed than the 4th Gen. Really broken, very glitchy, little story compared to Gen 4....
Except A) I like glitches and B) Story isn't that important to me in many games. The old Sonic games are much better than the newer ones and they had almost NO story.

Notice that I added an "in my opinion". Trying to say that I'm not trying to argue for the objective point.

You're missing the point. I'm not here to debate which gen is better.

Yet it's okay when people who think old>>>new (whether nostalgia blinded or not) does it. Why?
What...are you even talking about? You're trying to compare having an opinion to telling people their opinion is inferior because it's likely influenced by nostalgia.

???

This is a gaming site, what do you expect? People to just up and accept that somebody probably bashes their favorite game?
/facepalm

I already said, if someone's being a jerk/bashing a game/trying to convert you, I don't support that.

4th generation wasn't as good as the others? It was the most improved, all the previous problems were fixed, the graphics improved, they added new Pokemon, despite being ones you don't like. I'm pretty sure this is a "you just got older" moment.
Ugh...

It's an OPINION! Stop trying to disprove it!

bobson

Smash Lord
Out of 4th gen, I've played Platinum, and the only gripe I have is that the storyline was a little disjointed. It completely forgets about the Elite Four and goes off after Team Galactic for half the game building up into a crescendo with the Giratina battle only to suddenly remember and say "Wait, you're not done yet! You still have to beat these guys!" Screw that, I just saved the ****ing world; why do I care about the Elite Four?

I didn't play 3rd gen because the Pokemon all looked stupid.

1st and 2nd gen were awesome because I played them when I was young and everything was awesome.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
It's getting on MY nerves that everyone feels the need to tell you how wrong you are for disliking something. Are you really that elitist?

3 things. THREE you listed off.
I'm not elitist at all. I'm just sick of people saying that 4th Gen sucks and give no backbone to their opinion, or just say something like, "Tangrowth" (yes, I'm pointing at you K.Rool). Because clearly one character ruins the entire game. It's good that you gave some reason for flaming 4th gen, Firus.

Those were just three things I could think of at the moment. I could post a whole essay about why 4th Gen is better than people say it is.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
If you can find a quote where I actually said it WAS okay for people to do that then I'll actually address this, because until then I would stand by the opinion that I've expressed before, that I hate elitists in general and it doesn't matter what kind they are.
I specifically said that YOU DON'T DO IT! Stop taking everything as an attack on you when the question wasn't about you.

What...are you even talking about? You're trying to compare having an opinion to telling people their opinion is inferior because it's likely influenced by nostalgia.
For the last time....

Why is it okay, among the gaming population, that gamers who think old >>> new (whether or NOT blinded by nostalgia) can look down on gamers who think new >>> old and get away with it, but if it's the other way around, it's somehow an unforgivable sin? If you don't know, just say "I don't know."

And for the 20th time, I KNOW you don't do this so don't take it so personal.

I quoted all of the parts that made me chuckle to myself.

4th gen had the most to offer.

"all that was left is online battling and frontier" -- That's more than you can say for any other Pokemon game.

Good storyline? The ****? Pokemon has a plot?
Hmhm!

It was my opinion, see what I mean?

People critisizing me for giving my opinion.
There you have it, j'avais raison!

:laugh:

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Sinnoh pokemon are good. Hoen pokemon are the failures. The Hoen starters reak of fail. The new starters are decent, Infernape and Toterra are awesome. Empoleon is okay. Bidoof might suck, but that is the point, they are supposed to be weak. They are still funny looking though. Another thing is Hoen legendaries almost all suck, Sinnoh is about half and half for legendaries. Sinnoh has cool pokemon that aren't anything like starters or legendaries either, like Rotom, Dusknoir, Electivire, Staraptor, and Lucario.
I think Kanto was best, then Sinnoh, then Johto, and Hoen sucked.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Treecko is the best Grass type starter though. You can't say they all the starters in 3rd gen is bad. )=

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm not elitist at all. I'm just sick of people saying that 4th Gen sucks and give no backbone to their opinion, or just say something like, "Tangrowth" (yes, I'm pointing at you K.Rool). Because clearly one character ruins the entire game. It's good that you gave some reason for flaming 4th gen, Firus.
A) I didn't flame fourth gen, but feel to point out where I did. (At which point I would probably point out the end of my post where I even pointed out that I do not hate fourth gen.)

B) I'm sure that's sarcastic since I didn't delve into why I like fourth gen less than the others. I didn't bother yet because I didn't feel like spending the time to write it up, but if you're actually going to listen to what I say instead of writing me off as a flamer or try to disprove my opinion, I'll be happy to describe my reasoning for you.

Those were just three things I could think of at the moment. I could post a whole essay about why 4th Gen is better than people say it is.
Okay, then write the essay on why you like fourth gen. Just don't phrase it as "PEOPLE ARE WRONG FOURTH GEN > ALL".

M.K

Level 55
I find it hilarious that ~50% of the people in this thread are trying to pass their opinion off as a fact.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion of the Pokemon universe, quit trying to tell people how they feel.

Bob: "I liked 4th Generation"

Shaniqualisha: "DAAAYYYUMMMM, boyyy, you trippin' balls! Oak?"

Prof. Oak: "TRIPPIN BALLS!"

Diglett Dig, Diglett Dig ~~ (Yeah, now its stuck in your head)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Lol, Straked is actually right. After you beat the Elite Four in 1st and 2nd gen, there is literally almost nothing to do unless you live near a bunch of people with the game.

1st gen- You can either keep beating the elite four over and over with nothing happening, or catch everything, which really isn't that hard. You can't re-battle trainers or breed, so screw any replay value in that. The sprites don't look anything like their artwork btw.

2nd gen- Still no online or anything. You can breed and re-battle some trainers, but that's it. No kind of facility like the Battle Frontier to make you want to play anymore. Sprites area little better.

3rd gen- No online, but the breeding system is better, and there's the battle frontier. Sprites are very wrongly colored and dull which annoyed me.

4th gen- Online play, Battle Frontier, you can rebattle everyone including gym leaders, and there's a better breeding system. They finally got the sprites right.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I specifically said that YOU DON'T DO IT! Stop taking everything as an attack on you when the question wasn't about you.
You said "Why is it okay..."

Which implies that I have actually ever said that it is okay. Because if I didn't think it were okay, then how am I supposed to explain to you why it is okay?

You said "do", and you're saying "do" now. But you keep phrasing the question as if I THINK it. Which is why I wasn't clear that you were saying that.

For the last time....

Why is it okay, among the gaming population, that gamers who think old >>> new (whether or NOT blinded by nostalgia) can look down on gamers who think new >>> old and get away with it, but if it's the other way around, it's somehow an unforgivable sin? If you don't know, just say "I don't know."

And for the 20th time, I KNOW you don't do this so don't take it so personal.
I don't think it IS okay, so I don't know how to explain to you why it is okay.

And I barely ever see people getting angry at the "nostalgia" accusations, so I wasn't aware it was considered "okay" by gamers at all.

But if you're looking for some sort of an answer, elitism crap like that is acceptable because society sucks.

PWNZ3r0

Smash Cadet
In the fountain of forgotten and haunted dreams..
Link to original post: [drupal=2321]Quit hating on 4th Gen Pokemon for no ****ing reason.[/drupal]

4th Gen had some actual good Pokemon, and it took the battle system up a notch. It also had online. Quit pissing blood the same way Melee fanboys get P.O.ed at Sakurai for Brawl and Zelda fanboys get P.O.ed at Miyamoto for Zelda II.

Seriously, it's getting on my ****ing nerves. -_-
Exactly enough said.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Treecko is the best Grass type starter though. You can't say they all the starters in 3rd gen is bad. )=
It learns good special attacks in four types, that is not a huge movepool (this is 3rd gen, because that is when they made it, they can improve stuff later, but this was when it was made, as in they made it originally with only those as special attacks).

I was more going for overall design anyway. Sceptile and Swampert aren't horrible in design, but not great. Blaziken makes no sense. A fighting type chicken? WTF were they thinking?

M.K

Level 55
II was more going for overall design anyway. Sceptile and Swampert aren't horrible in design, but not great. Blaziken makes no sense. A fighting type chicken? WTF were they thinking?
**** (ugh, lol, censor. Its that bad word for chicken) fighting?
That's what.

And obviously you can see from my signature that many 4th generation Pokemon are indeed "cool" once you blend them together. ^.^

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Giovanni is awesome.

Lots of personality.

Gonna steal all the pokemon in the world.

Can't beat a 10 year old in a pokemon battle.

I think he can do it.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Giovanni is much more evil in the manga . . . where people and Pokemon actually die.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Lol, Straked is actually right. After you beat the Elite Four in 1st and 2nd gen, there is literally almost nothing to do unless you live near a bunch of people with the game.
But I've replayed first, second, and third gen more than fourth gen, whereas I actually haven't done that much with the after-game things in third and fourth gen. Hell, I haven't even beaten Platinum yet because I got bored halfway through the run.
That was about four months ago, I still haven't picked it up again.

1st gen-The sprites don't look anything like their artwork btw.
I think that's pretty obvious.

Nevertheless, I love the first gen sprites, no matter how they look compared to the artwork.

2nd gen- No kind of facility like the Battle Frontier to make you want to play anymore.
Battle Tower in Crystal.

3rd gen- Sprites are very wrongly colored and dull which annoyed me.
Where...?

4th gen-They finally got the sprites right.
As someone who has worked with the sprites a lot, there are actually quite a few sprites I don't like. Most notably, Charizard and Jigglypuff. When I do spriting with either Pokémon, I use their third gen sprites.

Point is, sprites are a matter of opinion, there's really no point in arguing how good the sprites are.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Blaziken makes no sense. A fighting type chicken? WTF were they thinking?
In my high school vet classes there was a rooster named...er.I can't remember.

Chickens scratch (nails are long as heck, really) and kick pretty hard, it's really their only means of attacking. He also loved to headbutt people who passed by him. I understand why Blaziken is a fighting type. :chuckle:
Don't mess with chickens,guys.

Edit also:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockfight

M.K

Level 55

1st gen- You can either keep beating the elite four over and over with nothing happening, or catch everything, which really isn't that hard. You can't re-battle trainers or breed, so screw any replay value in that. The sprites don't look anything like their artwork btw.

2nd gen- Still no online or anything. You can breed and re-battle some trainers, but that's it. No kind of facility like the Battle Frontier to make you want to play anymore. Sprites area little better.
Yeah, Mario didn't look a whole lot like his artwork either in his first games.
The graphical limitations of each system must be noted and applied directly into your arguments. V_V
On the subject of things to do post-Elite Four, you forgot the most important post-Elite Four thing....evar.

Kanto in Gen II.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039

=

?

I thought Salamence had an ugly color until seeing it in the anime. Half the time I was playing 3rd gen and saw Salamence I literally thought "I cannot wait until the next generation when this thing gets a new sprite."

So much better.

Much worse than:

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
At which point I would probably point out the end of my post where I even pointed out that I do not hate fourth gen.I don't HATE fourth gen. I just like it much less than the other generations. Considering I love those, that doesn't mean I hate it.
When every post you make in this blog is anti-4th gen, it tends to give the impression you hate it.

Especially when you point out things but don't mention the other parts of the post you're responding to that you can't contradict.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I was more going for overall design anyway. Sceptile and Swampert aren't horrible in design, but not great. Blaziken makes no sense. A fighting type chicken? WTF were they thinking?
This is the same series where a turtle can be a GRASS TYPE.
This is the same series where the one based off a mole has no limbs.
This is the same series where a good number of bug type Pokemon DON'T HAVE 6 LIMBS!
This is the same series where a FROG can be a fighting type

A fighting chicken is not all that cracked up to be. Probably considering it's based on the concept of cockfighting, which is legal in Japan, I think

M.K

Level 55
***PRETTY PICTURES***

=

?

I thought that normal people were ugly until I saw the Pokemon Anime. Half the time I was looking at normal chicks and saw Misty I literally thought "I cannot wait until they create a machine to bring Anime chicks to the real world".

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I thought Salamence had an ugly color until seeing it in the anime. Half the time I was playing 3rd gen and saw Salamence I literally thought "I cannot wait until the next generation when this thing gets a new sprite."

So much better.
The fourth gen sprite isn't pink either, the only difference is that the blue is slightly closer. I guess you sort of have a point, but that's really not that big of a deal...

Much worse than:
>_> That's not that different, I think you're kind of nitpicking here.

When every post you make in this blog is anti-4th gen, it tends to give the impression you hate it.
No. Every post I've made is anti-elitist. Stop painting me as a bad guy when all I'm trying to do is A) Stop people from trying to stop other people from expressing their opinions because they disagree with them, and B) Express my opinions about the Pokémon games.

Especially when you point out things but don't mention the other parts of the post you're responding to that you can't contradict.
Oh ho ho, you're clever.

What's with you? Do you want to know WHY I don't respond to the parts of posts that I have nothing to "contradict" in? BECAUSE THAT PART OF THE POST IS PROBABLY RIGHT! Yes, I admit that first gen has no post-E4 options (excluding the Unknown Dungeon and any Legendary Bird hunting you hadn't already done).

You're saying it's a bad thing that I'm not a fanboy and trying to deny everything?

Why is it that you're being so eager to point out how horrible I am? Just because I don't like 4th gen as much as you?

=

?

I thought that normal people were ugly until I saw the Pokemon Anime. Half the time I was looking at normal chicks and saw Misty I literally thought "I cannot wait until they create a machine to bring Anime chicks to the real world".
The first is computer-created, or is it real?

I remember the time when I wanted Misty and Sabrina to be real. >.>

By the way, GreenKirby, apparently Pokemon were based off of their creator's favourite childhood hobby of bug catching.

M.K

Level 55
The first is computer-created, or is it real?

I remember the time when I wanted Misty and Sabrina to be real. >.>

By the way, GreenKirby, apparently Pokemon were based off of their creator's favourite childhood hobby of bug catching.
Well, I'm pretty sure that IRL people don't have gradient-like hair and stand in totally white spaces.
...but what do I know, I haven't come out of my basement cave dungeon in 13 years. V_V'

Who DIDN'T want Misty and Sabrina to be real?
Especially that hot ninja chick with Koga, wasn't her name "Aya"? She had the Venonat that got beaten by Bulbasaur in the first season the Anime.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
There is a time and a place to talk about your anime character love, and that is your weekly session in the psychiatric unit, not here.

M.K

Level 55
There is a time and a place to talk about your anime character love, and that is your weekly session in the psychiatric unit, not here.
*Skips off to make yet another blog*

Oh, I'm just kidding. I'm sure there isn't enough demand to make an Anime Character Love Blo-

*looks around at Smashboards*

Oh wait, no, I take that back.

*ON TOPIC FLAME BAIT*

So, I loved 2nd Generation. It was my favorite so far. If I were to order the generations in terms of JUST the Game Boy "Main Series" Games, it would have to look something like such:

Generation II
Generation I
Generation IV
Generation III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom