• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Draw mindgames just got cooler. (AT)

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Well, let me give some backstory as to what I was doing.

Basically, I was checking out what Ike gets from B sticking. I was checking out a jumping Counter fake (basically cancelling your entire jump by pulling back and down on the C-stick, I think this is known). However, I then did something interesting:

You jump in a direction, and continue holding that same direction. Then, with Bstick enabled, you flick the C-stick in the complete opposite direction. This will cause Ike to lunge back, then perform Quick Draw. It's hard to describe EXACTLY how he moves, but just try it yourself and see. It's chargable, but you have to flick the Cstick, then go straight to holding the B button.

I'd love to make a video, but I lack recording equipment. (If anyone can do this, I'd be quite thankful) Edit: Cambriel was so kind as to make a video for the topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY595wM0GBc

I checked in plenty of places, and I didn't find a mention of this at all! If it's known, just mock me and move on.

For lack of any other name, I'll just call it the Step Draw.

Discuss the use of this, I guess. It's not the giant QD discovery everyone was hoping for (or maybe it is!), but it's a metagame advance, right?

Edit: I checked all the guides on this board, as well as the AT guide, nothing is quite what this is, but it may have been an oversight.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Yes his B-stick QD gives him a slight momentum shift, just like Eruption does. My question to you is...why use it this way? Jumping makes it slower and easier to read, as you are in the air longer.

If you are going for a 'surprise' tactic, you can do this on the ground too. Run one way, QD in the way you are facing, then immediately tap the opposite direction (Ike stops midrun charging QD facing the opposite directon). I explain it this way because in my humble opinion Ike shows no benefit for giving up the C-stick to the special command.

In short, the way you describe it is not entirely useful...the jumping QD in a nutshell is not too useful...there are just better options available. Mostly this is the reason it is not mentioned I would assume.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I just recorded it, and uploaded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY595wM0GBc

I don't see how this could help out very much though. But perhaps others could find a good use for it.
Ah, many thanks. I'll edit the link into the first post.

That said, I'm thinking of a few ways in which this can be used. It's mainly for spacing I suppose, but it can also be used to prevent QD gimps (As you move downward as well as backwards, and this allows you to sweetspot the ledge too). Another use can be quickly jumping towards them, then step drawing. It throws their timing off, so you can get a hit in.

In any case, thanks again for recording it.

Edit:
Yes his B-stick QD gives him a slight momentum shift, just like Eruption does. My question to you is...why use it this way? Jumping makes it slower and easier to read, as you are in the air longer.

If you are going for a 'surprise' tactic, you can do this on the ground too. Run one way, QD in the way you are facing, then immediately tap the opposite direction (Ike stops midrun charging QD facing the opposite directon). I explain it this way because in my humble opinion Ike shows no benefit for giving up the C-stick to the special command.

In short, the way you describe it is not entirely useful...the jumping QD in a nutshell is not too useful...there are just better options available. Mostly this is the reason it is not mentioned I would assume.
I think you are mistaking this for a B-reversal, in which Ike does the QD in the opposite direction. It comes out to something similar in nature, but they do have differences.

As for whether this is worth giving up C-stick DI and Walkoff Dairs? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how useful this becomes. But yeah, the lack of use so far is probably why I saw little mention of it.

comboking

Smash Master
we need the aerial control of the c-stick/A-Stick if we can do it without the b-stick were in business

Kirk

Smash Champion
I think you are mistaking this for a B-reversal, in which Ike does the QD in the opposite direction. It comes out to something similar in nature, but they do have differences.

As for whether this is worth giving up C-stick DI and Walkoff Dairs? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how useful this becomes. But yeah, the lack of use so far is probably why I saw little mention of it.
I know what you meant...i was just giving an alternate method that would be more useful in a given situation. I still don't think what you are describing is worth much :/

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I know what you meant...i was just giving an alternate method that would be more useful in a given situation. I still don't think what you are describing is worth much :/
I'm not too sure of the practical value of it myself. I'll test it to see what other special effects it has besides sending you a considerable distance backwards.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I used to do this over half the time if I ever needed to QD in the air, but then I realized I liked C-Stick smashes much better and didn't find any really good/practical enough uses for the Reverse B-Sticking Quick Draw, so I sacarficed it for C-Stick smashes so I could retreat while doing an f-air or advance while doing a b-air. If anyone is really going to find an excellent use of this tactic, however, then I'm all ears. It could be worth switching back to B-Stick.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
All I can really see this for is the use of Mindgaming, but other than that, I'm not seeing the usefulness other than the occasional "wtf!?" factor.

I'd like to try it, but I'd rather not lose the Hyphen Smash. If this can be done without B-stick (which is probably the least useful out of all of them), then I'd be willing to add this onto my game.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, at least it can punish idiots/people who've never seen this technique, and by this point that's everybody...still a bit skeptical as to how this could be useful other than maybe throwing off somebody.

Kirk

Smash Champion
In short, its not useful. Approaching with QD has way too many risks to be even remotely useful.

The *ONLY* thing, in my opinion, that will bring widespread use to QD is if someone figures out how to cancel the beginning/ending lag. When we get some of that then we can talk. >.>

XACE-K

Smash Master
I can only see it being used for mindgames.

The *ONLY* thing, in my opinion, that will bring widespread use to QD is if someone figures out how to cancel the beginning/ending lag. When we get some of that then we can talk. >.>
Agreed.

*attempts to find an AT*

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Just so you guys know you can wavebounce without switching your controls to B-sticking. It's just a lot harder. Check the C-stick compendium on the tactical board. Pretty sure it tells how to do it there.

Kirk

Smash Champion
-Run Forward.
-Jump.
-Perform QD Backwards
-IMMEDIATELY Press the control stick Fowards (Original direction you were running).
-Optional: Keep holding B to charge.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Hm.....like some people said, it would be good for mindgames only IMO. Maybe if you screwed up some how trying to use a different B move, you could move back a tad so you don't hit your opponent? Have you tried combining this with the Aerial Quick Draw Slide to see if it has any effect on it?

As for this:
Basically, I was checking out what Ike gets from B sticking. I was checking out a jumping Counter fake (basically cancelling your entire jump by pulling back and down on the C-stick, I think this is known).
I do that all of the time without B-sticking, except I rise in the air slightly. Just jump then Counter. >_> You'll go up about the hight of Ike's boots max, stopping as the counter activates (you are moving still while he's brining his sword in front of him), then fall perfectly back down. I use it occasionally hit and run people, who are expecting me to use an aerial attack and try to hit me before I can hit them. They hit the counter, get knocked back, I try to take advantage of it. I call it Counter Stalling, but I thought it had already been found, and had an official name for it already.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
this might actually be a good use of quickdraw.
care to elaborate? everyone else doesn't think much of it.

Other use I could think of would be to edge hug but you can just tilt your control stick in a down right or down left direction. This would just make you look kooler, ofcourse if you missed people be like ***.

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
lol i said might. until i faced some people and found out its nothing special. its better just to keep it on smashes.

Sandalhat

Smash Rookie
When I saw this video I had no idea that Ike could do this, it's almost like an odd wave dash. I notice that you jump really high in the air and then do it.. is this necessary? I could be wrong, but if you could short hop and do this quick draw I think it might be useful. For me I think i'll try it out against a sonic friend. He sits there and does the charge up ball, and he just stays like that until I make a move. I think it would be useful to fake him out and then smash him with it.. but I think I could always just do something else that requires less effort. I do however, enjoy your video. :)

•Col•

Smash Champion
When I saw this video I had no idea that Ike could do this, it's almost like an odd wave dash. I notice that you jump really high in the air and then do it.. is this necessary? I could be wrong, but if you could short hop and do this quick draw I think it might be useful. For me I think i'll try it out against a sonic friend. He sits there and does the charge up ball, and he just stays like that until I make a move. I think it would be useful to fake him out and then smash him with it.. but I think I could always just do something else that requires less effort. I do however, enjoy your video. :)
It's nowhere nearly as useful as a wavedash..... <_<

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Hmm, let me post the results of some further testing of the uses of this:

If you move the Bstick backwards while running, Ike will do a backwards jump. From here, I think there are two logical things you can do: If they are close to you, you can simply press A to do a Back Aerial. If they're farther off, flick the Cstick again to do a step draw. Because you are quite a bit away by now, when you reach them with the Step Draw you will have no attack hitbox and will in fact be sliding (Air Draw Slide). From this, you can do anything you want out of a slide, such as grabbing, jabbing or a tilt.

Seem good?

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Since nobody else explained, I guess I'll do it.

First, go to the options menu and go to controls. Set your Gamecube controller Cstick to "Special". After that, just follow the first post of the topic.

thx will do

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Remember though it's still questionable as to wather you would want to give up the Cstick for just one AT, however this would be so great if we could do this with Aether to get even more horizontal recovery. (And that's just an example, imagine with more time the possibilities if we found out more stuff than just Step Drawing, Light is already figuring something out.)

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Like others said, the best use I see of this right now is for mindgames, but for those, this "Side Draw" can actually work pretty well. You can fake approaches and possibly avoid getting gimped/spiked.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
You give up the instant dash attack for this so It isn't worth it as it can be used to follow up Fthrows and Bthrows into some kills at the edge of the stage.

If ditching attacks and smashes for this is questionable so is your intelligence. Sorry but its true.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It would be easier to figure out if you were talking to me if you were quoting me, and if that's the case, can you tell me what purpose would setting the Cstick to speacils serve ATM? I kind of like my non-FF Dairs and my retreating Fairs and Approaching Bairs. Compare that to one useful thing which would be Step Drawing right now, and if there's more, feel free to enlighten me.

How is my intelligence not legitimate with that?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Because it shouldn't be questionable it's a flat out no. I wasn't really saying at you it was just a general statement of the AT.

edit: I was actually saying it as a joke more than an insult.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Instant dash attack alone is reason enough NOT to switch to a "B-Stick."

Might be going a *bit* far insulting people's intelligence Mr. Burrito...but you point was very clear nonetheless :p

But yeah...in short...Ike should stay away from C-Stick Specials.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'll agree with both of you and say that while the technique isn't useless (I managed to get someone with a Bsticked Back Aerial and then when they expected it the next time Step Drawed into an Up Tilt :bee:) there were many times where I just wished I had a non-FF down aerial.

Don't worry though, I am trying to find more uses of the Bstick.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Because it shouldn't be questionable it's a flat out no. I wasn't really saying at you it was just a general statement of the AT.

edit: I was actually saying it as a joke more than an insult.
Now I feel like a jerk for actually taking that seriously...

To be honest I don't even PLAY with the Gamecube controller, I'm a wiimote guy... oh boy...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
-Run Forward.
-Jump.
-Perform QD Backwards
-IMMEDIATELY Press the control stick Fowards (Original direction you were running).
-Optional: Keep holding B to charge.
^This.

I'm only able to do it consistently with 1/4 speed on training mode.

EDIT: I'm close yes. I'm at college in Fort Myers.

Top Bottom