• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Vote for Medusa's Homecoming Party!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I mean, her Uprising boss battle.
I imagine it more of an entrance laugh... As it IS an entrance laugh in KI:U.
While she climbs out of a Shadowy hole in the ground in a manner similar to that her appearing in the clouds in Uprising?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I guess we don't even know that unique entrances are returning. But they should. If not just to make a place for Medusa's evil laugh.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

This was made Prior to KIU coming out, but I still think the sketch is so hype worthy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

This was made Prior to KIU coming out, but I still think the sketch is so hype worthy.
That Up Smash on the right looks pretty good since she is the Queen of Darkness and a gorgon. Is the N. Special on the right a reference to how Medusa threw Tanatos from her head in the first Kid Icarus?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Mhmmmmmm.

I think it's just tops. Other moves she could have for specials could be based off of her generals. The rest of her attacks should be snake based imo. I think her run should be her legs turning into a naga's tail. So she slithers instead of runs. God she would be so cool.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think her run should be her legs turning into a naga's tail. So she slithers instead of runs. God she would be so cool.
The Naga thing could work since she did transform from a snake form in the anime. We don't have that many characters that slither in the roster and this would be the perfect job for Medusa.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
My wanting for her to be playable is at like, 102% now
can't get my hopes up too high though, better bring it down to 101%

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's a little known fact that Medusa is the superior character choice for KI. But she is.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
About the fact Medusa could slither. It would be REALLY cool, but doesn't that mean a snake tail would grow everytime she runs? Wouldn't that be a little bit weird? I mean, if a snake tail grow, it would have some length, or it would be a bit ridiculous.

But again, it would be reeeeaaaaally cool.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Medusa? Weird? It's not like one of her final smash suggestions involves her head coming off and flying around. :p

But yeah I don't know. I am also really excited to see what happens.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, Medusa IS rather weird compared to the rest of the cast, but having a little tail growing now and then would look a bit strange to me.

majora_787

Smash Hero
There is a way to do it without weird hitboxes which would require Medusa moving parallel to the ground so that her hitbox is essentially turned on its side while she moves, but that's not a thing anyone does. It would definitely be a bizarre thing that doesn't really happen. ... Well I guess Charizard does it too, but Charizard is already physically wide. Medusa, not so much.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I guess her growing a tail for a bit would be better than her trying to run in that dress..

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think it can happen. Because I think they're both very close with Medusa being better for the game in terms of a "standalone addition" but really the best thing would be for Medusa and Palutena to both join. I don't see why not.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think it can happen. Because I think they're both very close with Medusa being better for the game in terms of a "standalone addition" but really the best thing would be for Medusa and Palutena to both join. I don't see why not.
Kid Icarus having three characters is really pushing it though, especially when A. that's the same amount of KI games there even is and B. Sakurai has shown some modesty with Kirby in the past, particularly with Melee, so I don't really see him as eager to throw in a lot of additional characters for a small series he just worked on.

I don't hate Medusa, it's just that, if we get another KI character, it's either her or Palutena, and I don't see Sakurai choosing Medusa at this point (He has a thing for unique characters, but it's also still about importance, and Palutena kinda crushes Medusa in that regard).

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Kid Icarus having three characters is really pushing it though, especially when A. that's the same amount of KI games there even is and B. Sakurai has shown some modesty with Kirby in the past, particularly with Melee, so I don't really see him as eager to throw in a lot of additional characters for a small series he just worked on.

I don't hate Medusa, it's just that, if we get another KI character, it's either her or Palutena, and I don't see Sakurai choosing Medusa at this point (He has a thing for unique characters, but it's also still about importance, and Palutena kinda crushes Medusa in that regard).
Both Palutena and Medusa are very unique, it's kind of a neck and neck thing right now is how I see it.
And we won't know who wins until one is announced.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Both Palutena and Medusa are very unique, it's kind of a neck and neck thing right now is how I see it.
And we won't know who wins until one is announced.
Yeah, but like I said, Palutena is still more important to KI than Medusa is. She's basically the other main character of the series besides Pit. Medusa was the main villain of the first game, wasn't in Of Myths & Monsters at all, and was a secondary villain in Uprising, where she was outdone by Hades. Palutena on the other hand, is the series' namesake in Japan and is central to the happenings of all three games, especially Uprising, where she appears in all the chapters of the game except CH.19 (In comparison, Medusa was only in Chapter 1, 6, 9 and 25 as far as I can tell).

Some food for thought: Medusa also kinda got snubbed in Brawl as far as representation goes. Whereas Palutena got a big, elaborate design and even appeared in things like Pit's FS and even the SSE for a moment, all Medusa got was a few passing mentions in some of the KI trophies.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, Kid Icarus had, about trophies, the same problem as the Wario series (for exemple): creating everything. Wario is a great series with some good characters, and yet we only have Wario, his FS, the assist trophy and his bike. I think the Kid Icarus have the same problem. Of course, there's a Palutena trophy as she appears in the subspace emissary, and she had already her new design. But except that, there's only 4 trophies: Playable Character ans his FS, another character and a item.

Her non appearance in Brawl is also logical with Medusa's return in Uprsing after 25 years :troll:

majora_787

Smash Hero
A few things.

1. As I've said before, we're not going to sit here and talk about of Myths and Monsters like it matters unless we're going to say Orcos is a major contender for Smash Bros., and a US-exclusive game in a series of international releases is going to be the part of the series a japanese developer cares about the most.

2. I wouldn't even say Palutena was THAT much more important than Medusa in Uprising. They were both essentially equal in the first for all intents and purposes with MAYBE Medusa having the edge, but that's really picking at NES limitations. Uprising, we're comparing two characters.

- The "helper" who for a large part of the game basically just kind of talks to you. She's a major character in the story, but at the same time for a part of it she gets swapped out for Viridi who does the exact same thing just as well. She also gets canned a bit for the Chaos Kin arc as well as the Dyntos boss gauntlet.

- The first arc antagonist who was the main villain for the first 9 chapters; more than any other antagonist in the game can really say. Also unlike other final bosses, she was in almost all of the promotional everything and even got the animation based around her. And even though she got "used up" as an antagonist for the game, she still came back to participate in the final battle.

In Brawl, we can't really use that here. Since it happened before Uprising, of course Palutena is going to come up more than Pit. She's his final smash. Medusa isn't about to be Pit's final smash. I have no idea why she would have like 10 trophies or anything. And if anything I feel like Palutena being Pit's final smash is more of a point in Medusa's favor than anything. If I had two choices: A more unique character for less work or a less unique but more popular character for more work in a game where I was putting emphasis on uniqueness, I know which one I would be picking.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but like I said, Palutena is still more important to KI than Medusa is. She's basically the other main character of the series besides Pit.
You're really exaggerating Palutena's role in the old games. She was never a "main character", only Uprising did that.

Medusa was the main villain of the first game, wasn't in Of Myths & Monsters at all, and was a secondary villain in Uprising, where she was outdone by Hades.
Again, nope. She was the primary antagonist for Uprising, Hades only got revealed as "secretly behind it all" at the last minute.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Again, nope. She was the primary antagonist for Uprising, Hades only got revealed as "secretly behind it all" at the last minute.
Going by this logic, N was the big bad and not Ghetsis.
Zant was the big bad and not Ganondorf.
King Dedede was the big bad and not Nightmare.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Going by this logic, N was the big bad and not Ghetsis.
Zant was the big bad and not Ganondorf.
King Dedede was the big bad and not Nightmare.
In my opinion, Zant WAS the big bad and not Ganondorf, but that's more for writing reasons.

But really the original NES game, it's basically a toss-up between the little lady sprite that says "Thank You" at the end of the game and the wall face monster you fight as the final boss. People can draw whatever lines they want, but when it comes to NES Kid Icarus drawing lines is kind of overcomplicating things.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
You're really exaggerating Palutena's role in the old games. She was never a "main character", only Uprising did that.

Last minute ?? The game had 25 chapters, and the final battle with Medusa was in chapter 9, and this is when we learned that Hades was the true antagonist.
So 36% of the game isn't last minute at all...

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Last minute ?? The game had 25 chapters, and the final battle with Medusa was in chapter 9, and this is when we learned that Hades was the true antagonist.
So 36% of the game isn't last minute at all...
Except Hades wasn't the big bad after Medusa. Then you have to deal with Viridi, then Palutena and the Aurom, then at the very very end, like last three chapters, Hades.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Except Hades wasn't the big bad after Medusa. Then you have to deal with Viridi, then Palutena and the Aurom, then at the very very end, like last three chapters, Hades.
Don't forget Dyntos and the Chariot Master. Those were toward the end somewhere as well. Especially Dyntos. I think that was chapter 23 or 24.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yep, Dyntos is chapter 24.

But Palutena's Army really care about Hades at... Chapter 23, and a bit during chapter 10 also, with the phoenix. Otherwise, it's "look, Viridi's gonna kill humans" "look, aliens!" (you even team up with Viridi and Hades), "look, I'm in a ring and my goddess is possessed". And then, chapter 23 "Remember the big bad guy who said he was evil? It's maybe time to care about him, no?"

Morbi

Scavenger
That doesn't necessarily change the main antagonist of the game. I mean... that is like saying that Ganon isn't the "big bad" because you have to fight other enemies prior to his boss battle. :rolleyes:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
That doesn't necessarily change the main antagonist of the game. I mean... that is like saying that Ganon isn't the "big bad" because you have to fight other enemies prior to his boss battle. :rolleyes:
But isn't Demise the true big bad of Zelda as he is the origin of all evil in the Zelda franchise? :troll: Obvious troll is obvious. And yet, it's not that false: Hades may be behind the events of Uprising, yet Medusa is the reccuring antagonist, tied with the heroes.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Really, I don't think anyone from Uprising exclusively has much of a chance. They're one-game characters in the series and would more or less be Sakurai's creations which I doubt he is interested in flooding the game with. As interesting as Hades (And Orcos, puhuhuhu :trollface:) could be, it's basically Medusa and/or Palutena.

Morbi

Scavenger
But isn't Demise the true big bad of Zelda as he is the origin of all evil in the Zelda franchise? :troll: Obvious troll is obvious. And yet, it's not that false: Hades may be behind the events of Uprising, yet Medusa is the reccuring antagonist, tied with the heroes.
Yes, Medusa is the reoccurring antagonist and I am not necessarily asserting that she is not the more feasible candidate. I am merely stating that Hades is the main antagonist of Uprising. It is immaterial that you "deal with him" in the last 3 chapters or whatever. That does nothing to alter his role.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
But his role in one game doesn't matter much when there is a recurring series antagonist who also has a major role in the same game. It's literally a matter of "A one-time main antagonist and one-time major antagonist" vs "a one-time main antagonist". One has a history with the series and the other doesn't. Which is the primary point here.

Though we can all agree that Hades is way more likely than Dark Pit getting his own character slot.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
But his role in one game doesn't matter much when there is a recurring series antagonist who also has a major role in the same game. It's literally a matter of "A one-time main antagonist and one-time major antagonist" vs "a one-time main antagonist". One has a history with the series and the other doesn't. Which is the primary point here.

Though we can all agree that Hades is way more likely than Dark Pit getting his own character slot.
Irrelevant in this context. I was merely asserting that Hades is the main antagonist in Uprising, that is all. I do honestly believe Medusa to be more likely.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
And we are stating that Medusa still is the main antagonist of the Kid Icarus series as a whole ;)
It's like WarioLand, Captain Syrup is considered the main rival of Wario, yet she only appears in WL, WL2 and WL: Shake it. There's some more games than Kid Icarus, but I think it's a pretty similar case.

Morbi

Scavenger
And we are stating that Medusa still is the main antagonist of the Kid Icarus series as a whole ;)
It's like WarioLand, Captain Syrup is considered the main rival of Wario, yet she only appears in WL, WL2 and WL: Shake it. There's some more games than Kid Icarus, but I think it's a pretty similar case.
Yeah, sure. I never stated otherwise. Her prominence is more inherent just based on the notion that she doesn't only appear in one game. Not only that, but she is clearly the main antagonist for the first portion of the game.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yeah, sure. I never stated otherwise. Her prominence is more inherent just based on the notion that she doesn't only appear in one game. Not only that, but she is clearly the main antagonist for the first portion of the game.
Yep.

... And I have nothing more to say than "yep".

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well duh, I mean FROM HERE ON OUT, who knows. but currently, yes. She is the main antagonist. Only after she was killed did she become Hades' puppet, correct?

Top Bottom