• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Vote for Medusa's Homecoming Party!

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Why? What does Palutena have over Meudsa? Full five-paragraph form using MLA format, please.
Eh, I don't have anything better to do, so what the hey, I'll do it.

Fortunately, I had already made a paragraph on Medusa some time ago.

Feedback/a response would be appreciated.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Why Palutena is more important than Medusa.

Palutena, the Goddess of Light, is much more important than Medusa. She is, because, first, Palutena was the one to free Pit from Medusa’s prison, and gave him the primary weapon of the game. She is rescued at the end of the game, and will reward you.She also appears in Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters. She gave Pit his objective, and at the end was needed to be saved once again. After beating the final boss, Palutena is saved, again.

Palutena plays an even larger role in Kid Icuras:Uprising. She is the Second main character, and guides you through the entire game. She also gives you/Pit the ability to fly for 5 minutes, and gives you the First Blade. Palutena is later possessed and orders the Centurions to attack the humans, and is even becoming a boss fight. She guides you once again afterwards. There is even a boss fight of a copy of Palutena as the Second of the Three Trials.

Palutena has a history with Brawl. She is in Pit’s final smash, to send Centurions to attack all of your opponents. Medusa failed to appear in Brawl. Not even as a Trophy, or a boss fight.

Medusa appears in the first game as the final boss. She held Palutena as prisoner, and you fight her at the end. She didn’t show up in Of Myths and Monsters at all.

Medusa is in the first 9 chapters of Uprising. But only is in 3 of those chapters. After beating her, she is revealed to be a pawn in Hades’s plan. She appears once more in chapter 25, only to be killed by Hades.

Check mate.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why Palutena is more important than Medusa.

Palutena, the Goddess of Light, is much more important than Medusa. She is, because, first, Palutena was the one to free Pit from Medusa’s prison, and gave him the primary weapon of the game. She is rescued at the end of the game, and will reward you.She also appears in Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters. She gave Pit his objective, and at the end was needed to be saved once again. After beating the final boss, Palutena is saved, again.

Palutena plays an even larger role in Kid Icuras:Uprising. She is the Second main character, and guides you through the entire game. She also gives you/Pit the ability to fly for 5 minutes, and gives you the First Blade. Palutena is later possessed and orders the Centurions to attack the humans, and is even becoming a boss fight. She guides you once again afterwards. There is even a boss fight of a copy of Palutena as the Second of the Three Trials.

Palutena has a history with Brawl. She is in Pit’s final smash, to send Centurions to attack all of your opponents. Medusa failed to appear in Brawl. Not even as a Trophy, or a boss fight.

Medusa appears in the first game as the final boss. She held Palutena as prisoner, and you fight her at the end. She didn’t show up in Of Myths and Monsters at all.

Medusa is in the first 9 chapters of Uprising. But only is in 3 of those chapters. After beating her, she is revealed to be a pawn in Hades’s plan. She appears once more in chapter 25, only to be killed by Hades.

Check mate.
1. I like how you can't explain why Palutena is more important without mentioning Medusa twice in the first two sentences. That says a lot right there. The side character who gives Pit his weapons and then is rescued at the very end of the game to do not much other than say "Thank You" is not a significantly more prominent role than the main antagonist of the game.

2. Palutena sure does have a role in Uprising. And so does Medusa. Medusa is, however, the longest standing and first arc boss in the entire game for a whole 9 chapters, and even comes back to briefly contribute to the final battle. On the other hand, Palutena frequently serves a role that Viridi easily takes over when Palutena is swapped out. So it's not as big of a jump as you claim. And of course, this doesn't account for how much Medusa is featured in Uprising's promotional material to the point where she has an animated short centered around her. A serious one. Not a joke one about mutant carrots.

3. Don't bring up Myths and Monsters unless you are prepared to try and convince everyone here that a US exclusive game is worth bringing up in a Japan-made international release of a game AND that Orcos and Hades share equal viability as playable characters.

It's hardly a check mate. But you tried.

For reasons that Palutena is in a WORSE position than Medusa from a largely Smash Bros. perspective...

1. Palutena being made a playable character requires more work. Sakurai has two options. A) Make a unique major Kid Icarus character, or B) Make a unique major Kid Icarus character and also design a new Final Smash for Pit. We don't actually know if that's going to be a thing that happens or not. But that is a factual statement.

2. Palutena occupies a niche of more light-based princess/goddess casters that is currently already filled by Zelda and slightly by Rosalina, albeit not much. Note this has nothing to do with saying Palutena is a clone or would have the same playstyle. This is about the niche on the roster in terms of a unique feel of the character. Medusa, on the other hand, would be the only dark magic-using character on the entire roster, as well as a classic female villain.

Reasons that Palutena is in a BETTER position than Medusa from a largely Smash Bros. perspective...

1. She's more popular.

2. While Medusa is the Ganondorf, Palutena is the Zelda. And while Link, Zelda, and Ganon are the biggest series staples, you could argue that Zelda is still more valuable to the series.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
We must have both.

By the way, Medusa and Palutena both have the serie relevance, Palutena have the popularity and Medusa have the origininality (in a nutshell)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeh it basically comes down to three things, and there's not even much point to speculating on it since that's the point where it's out of our hands and in Sakurai's.

1) He decides to value popularity over originality and adds Palutena, but not Medusa.
2) He decides to value originality over popularity and adds Medusa, but Palutena stays a final smash.
3) He decides the Kid Icarus series deserves the only two characters besides Pit who have been with it since the very beginning, and gives us both.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It was said before, but Kid Icarus is represented along other franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.

If we take a look (considering all characters from Brawl return)

Mario have 5 characters
Zelda have 5 characters, counting Sheik.
Pokémon have 6 characters, counting Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard
Starfox and Kirby have 3 characters.
Metroid and Donkey Kong have 2 characters, and according to fans, they deserves 3 characters (Ridley, K.Rool for exemple).

So why Kid Icarus can't have 3 characters?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Then of course we have Mother with two characters. And Kid Icarus is a bigger and more prominent franchise. So why not?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yep. Also, people want another rep for Mother (I'm totally fine with that), a serie that never reached europe and only one episode came outside Japan (until the release of Earthbound via the Virtual Console of course).

Kid Icarus is a serie considered like a NES classic, and Uprising is critically acclaimed. So why not?

iam8bit

Smash Ace
At least I think if we only get Palutena for Smash 4, we'll definitely get Medusa for Smash 5.

... right? :(

Seriously though, there aren't that many truly relevant Nintendo characters left to have playable. A KI newcomer is almost a must, and 2 isn't that far fetched.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Medusa has become a choice I truly want (after Palutena, though).

1. First female villain, better than Veran or Captain Syrup in my humble opinion.
2. Dark magic user who ACTUALLY uses dark magic (coughcoughFalcondorfcough)
3. The Poison Ivy of the Nintendoverse (a.k.a. hot villainess who can torture me any day)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Medusa has become a choice I truly want (after Palutena, though).

1. First female villain, better than Veran or Captain Syrup in my humble opinion.
2. Dark magic user who ACTUALLY uses dark magic (coughcoughFalcondorfcough)
3. The Poison Ivy of the Nintendoverse (a.k.a. hot villainess who can torture me any day)
I can't speak for Captain Syrup, but I LIKE Veran. The issue with her is, she was a minion of Ganon's minion in one zelda game a long time ago for the Gameboy Color. So sad.

Medusa though does create her own niche in the roster thanks to Ganondorf having a moveset entirely centered around punching people in the face.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I can't speak for Captain Syrup, but I LIKE Veran. The issue with her is, she was a minion of Ganon's minion in one zelda game a long time ago for the Gameboy Color. So sad.

Medusa though does create her own niche in the roster thanks to Ganondorf having a moveset entirely centered around punching people in the face.
Veran's got #2 and #3 going for her, yes, it's a shame they throw away a lot of their villains. Zant, Aghanim, Ghirahim, Onox, Veran, Majora, they all could be interesting bosses or antagonists again. Hopefully Hyrule Warriors will bring some of them back.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I think a possible Final Smash could be her taking on her form from Kid Icarus, and have snakes, and eventually Snake Thanatos come out and chomp. Kinda like your serpent storm, just less... New.

Oh, ya, and the Side Special should be, like, a clawing attack.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know. I see Medusa as more of a low-damage character who uses things like binds, stuns, and poisons. So maybe a neutral special that stuns enemies, a down special that places a magic bind to hold them in place, a side special that poisons them, and I'm not really sure about an up special other than something involving her teleportation and maybe some other strange components to it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, the stun should obviously be turning foes into stone. Having a stun AND a root is maybe too much. Something that paralyse characters, like in Tales Of (can move, but sometimes attacks don't come out), or something that invert controls? (it's maybe too sadistic, but... We're talking about Medusa).

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Medusa will not get in. Hades will.

Medusa was kind of there. She has died 3 times in the whole series, as opposed to Hades... Did he die? He's a god, the Great Sacred Treasure alone couldn't beat him. Hades also has so much more personality and possibly moveset. Maybe a grab could be inhaling, a down special could be that move where he shields him with those green shields.

Before Medusa, Hades. Please.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
A grab where he inhale? Isn't this mean he should be a little too big? :troll:

By the way, just read the topic to see the reasons why Medusa should get in before Hades.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Medusa will not get in. Hades will.

Medusa was kind of there. She has died 3 times in the whole series, as opposed to Hades... Did he die? He's a god, the Great Sacred Treasure alone couldn't beat him. Hades also has so much more personality and possibly moveset. Maybe a grab could be inhaling, a down special could be that move where he shields him with those green shields.

Before Medusa, Hades. Please.
1. Medusa died three times because she was the main antagonist of a whole game, was the most prominent arc boss in Uprising for the first third of the game, and she showed up AGAIN to try and take a shot at Hades. Hades didn't die because he was in one game and was not actually confronted legitimately until the last chapter.

2. Medusa is a goddess. While Hades objectively is a more powerful god, that doesn't actually mean much of anything on that front.

3. How you behave when talking to someone doesn't actually do much for your chances in being in a game about punching people and not about being witty and comical.

4. Orcos is as important to the series as Hades is. For all intents and purposes, the major antagonist and final boss of one game in the series and that's it, with no history with the series. He barely represents Kid Icarus as a whole, and considering Hades was NOT in the promotional material and did not get any animations based on him and was not even the antagonist for as long as Medusa was in Uprising, he doesn't even really represent Uprising that fantastically.

Medusa on the other hand is a sort of nemesis figure to Pit and Palutena and has been since the original Kid Icarus.

If it's any consolation, Hades will definitely be in before Magnus or Dark Pit.

EDIT: And on the subject of relevance, Palutena most definitely isn't more relevant. They were both major components in the first and last games in the series.

What Palutena has going for her is popularity, and an obligatory princess character / second protagonist for Kid Icarus. Which is fine and all.

Medusa on the other hand has moveset potential, status as a major classic Nintendo antagonist, a completely unique niche in the roster, and the element of surprise to the fanbase.

It's essentially coming down to what Sakurai values more or if he even decided he had to choose.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
We should put the most powerful god?

I should start a thread for Dyntos, then :troll:

No, seriously, Medusa is the antagonist that takes the most time to beat in Uprising, with 9 chapters. Hades? One chapter where you battle against the underworld army led by Hades, and 2 chapters where you simply fight Hades itself. Even Viridi's arc takes actually more time.
Sure, the god speaks a lot. But does he act a lot? All he did was ressurecting Medusa, and taking souls... for the simple reason he is the god of death.

I know he actually fulfill his purpose, but Medusa's motives have clearly something more, even in the first Kid Icarus. Sure, she is one of the most serious character of Uprising, but also Palutena's nemesis, as Majora stated.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Medusa actually has a personal motive directed at Palutena and Pit, aside from the fact that she just dislikes humans.

Hades is largely evil because he's evil, and people let it slide because he's hilarious about it and also exceedingly effective.

If you switched Hades and Medusa around so Hades was the first couple of chapters and mentioned a few times later to be funny, and Medusa was the main boss for the last nine chapters of the game? The conversation would be pretty different,b ut not THAT different.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
If medusa is playable will she hate all human fighters my default? Guess medusa and Ridley have 1 thing in common! Medusa x Ridley <3 :)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I saw some art like that. Medusa Gorgon, Solid Snake, and Medusa as well as Snake Man and some other snake-themed characters in group shots and whatnot.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Ahhhh, Don't be dead for another 25 years
Medusa's time to return is NOW

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why even at the start of a boss battle? It can be a taunt or her stage entry sfx. Though, maybe not a taunt.

We don't need her to become the Smash Bros. equivalent of League of Legends' Singed and have everyone spam iconic laughter non-stop. Melee Ganondorf was bad enough about that.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I mean, her Uprising boss battle.
I imagine it more of an entrance laugh... As it IS an entrance laugh in KI:U.

Top Bottom