• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
I'm a tad disappointed there were no signs of Medusa, or even Phosphora in the direct, but at least some of my worries went away. It's still suspicious they didn't she her, so my only thoughts is possible DLC. I won't wanna get my hopes up, but there's always a chance? I'm still kinda worried about where Phosphora is... not even shown as an AT. Oh well. Medusa as AT is still possible.
Go on the website, Phosphora is an AT.. I'm sorry..

Last edited:

Wurmple for smash

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3427-9374-2996
I'm proud that none of you guys got mad and stayed calm, I expected someone to go on a rant about how Medusa isn't in the base roster

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
I'm proud that none of you guys got mad and stayed calm, I expected someone to go on a rant about how Medusa isn't in the base roster
I wasn't expecting her to begin with tbh, so that lowered my expectations.. but what I'm shocked about is that sooo many likely characters are deconfirmed, but Medusa is still standing, like wtf!

DreamZeroX

Smash Cadet
So with the Direct said& Done I have a Feeling that Medusa has a Great Chance due to her being with Ganandorf @ 39:51 She's evil but wearing PanDoras Colors Not Medusas or her Black Dress but PanDora. Have Hope for the Goddess Of Darkness Shall Reign Once More!

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
I saw a Medusa head spirit but it had two eyes while also being ugly so assumed it was Castlevania Medusa getting some exposure... again.

When Sakurai was introducing the story mode cinematics during his "before we go..." speech and he said they were going to show us how the spirits became what they are, my heart skipped cos I thought he was showing us Medusa/Hades Underworld soul magic shenanigans but no... more Tabuu and the Hands.

Well at least we know Cree Summer is game for contributing voice work if a DLC character is ever in the works. She's a busy, popular voice actor so they probably need more time down the line to fit into her schedule of voiceover work. Here's hoping for DLC! Can't believe we survived that.

Also, Pandora spirit was there but... Medusa wasn't?? Seems funny thinking Sakurai will have gone through the Kid Icarus characters and made that decision - "yep, we're showing Pandora in spirits mode. Medusa? Nah, I got plans for that one..." EDIT: Unless they can’t use Kid Icarus Medusa at all because of the legal contracts in place for making use of Castlevania Medusa binding the name to Smash under that particular franchise...

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Go on the website, Phosphora is an AT.. I'm sorry..
It's okay... I'm not sad or furious really.
At least she's an AT still and I can still hopefully take snapshots with her and Pit, not to mention Pit still looks stronger in the game. Plus Medusa still has chances of being DLC, and Monster Hunter too? So my interests are not all out just yet.

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
Well it seems she's not here, alongside Skull Kid and pratically everyone.
Sounds like Vergerben was mostly right with Ken and Incineroar. At least we can have her as a DLC maybe….

I'm also going to main Piranha Plant, gosh I never thought it would actually work
I saw a Medusa head spirit but it had two eyes while also being ugly so assumed it was Castlevania Medusa getting some exposure... again.

When Sakurai was introducing the story mode cinematics during his "before we go..." speech and he said they were going to show us how the spirits became what they are, my heart skipped cos I thought he was showing us Medusa/Hades Underworld soul magic shenanigans but no... more Tabuu and the Hands.

Well at least we know Cree Summer is game for contributing voice work if a DLC character is ever in the works. She's a busy, popular voice actor so they probably need more time down the line to fit into her schedule of voiceover work. Here's hoping for DLC! Can't believe we survived that.

Also, Pandora spirit was there but... Medusa wasn't?? Seems funny thinking Sakurai will have gone through the Kid Icarus characters and made that decision - "yep, we're showing Pandora in spirits mode. Medusa? Nah, I got plans for that one..." EDIT: Unless they literally can't use Kid Icarus Medusa at all because of the legal contracts in place for making use of Castlevania Medusa binding the name to Smash under that particular franchise...
Even Thanatos was shown as a spirit.
The only chance for Medusa is to be one of the 5 DLC (Plant Piranha isn't one of these). I think if she's in, we'll have her castle as a stage

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, what a ride!

I'm not displeased by that direct. Maybe because I wasn't waiting for much. Incineroar looks cool, and that Pirahna Plant, oh boi... Looks stupidly fun!

What I want to point out is: Pirahna Plant do have a poison effect. And that's important for Medusa as a Non-Echo DLC!

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Medusa is my most wanted DLC character of all thats why I have her at number 1.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yep, now my most wanted are Unique Medusa + Underworld stage, and Saki (with an Airan costume).

Really, that Poison move on the Piranha plant gives me hope.

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
Yep, now my most wanted are Unique Medusa + Underworld stage, and Saki (with an Airan costume).

That and I Don't think she was shown as a spirit or as an assist trophy. Now with some of her "opponents" out of the way, she have her chances increased. Unless if she is in the Spirit mode as a boss or as a spirit but wasn't showed during the direct

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
That and I Don't think she was shown as a spirit or as an assist trophy. Now with some of her "opponents" out of the way, she have her chances increased. Unless if she is in the Spirit mode as a boss or as a spirit but wasn't showed during the direct
I'd be fine with a boss, even if I obviously want to play as Medusa.

And Spirits are trophies in some capacity. We have Wii Fit Trainer male of King K.Rool... I don't think it deconfirm characters for the DLCs.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Skull Kid is actually confirmed as an AT (as well as Phosphora, but not Magnus).. and if spirits mean that fighters are deconfirmed then R.I.P. Dixie Kong, Geno, Shantae, etc..
Well we aren't sure if being a spirit means there is no chance at DLC. its possible still until we see or hear otherwise.

Now, We saw no Medusa anywhere, which is interesting. No spirit or boss, but that could still happen as I am sure we didn't see all of those.

If Medusa is a boss, she won't be DLC. if she is a spirit, she can be DLC till we are shown otherwise.

2 things about her being DLC though: Sakuari Said no echos, so Medusa would be a unique fighter, which is awesome! Bad news though, I am assuming the stage and music is tied to the fighter, so while I can see medusa getting her own stage and a few music tracks, its making me feel like these DLC fighters will be from new franchises. Its not impossible though, like Dixie could get DLC and a stage with music, so its very possible with medusa too

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice

Wait, why does the poison move give you hope? I'm probably missing something obvious here but enlighten me

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
Wait, why does the poison move give you hope? I'm probably missing something obvious here but enlighten me
The two elements Medusa uses for most of her attacks are shadow and poison; plenty of Smash characters have shadow attacks but up until now AFAIK there hasn't been a unique poison effect added into the game - they usually just apply shadow effect. The fact that they have gone to the trouble of adding in a new poison effect for a character as random as Piranha Plant suggests that they plan to use it it more often - the Fatal Frame AT used it, it will probably be a hazard in Spirits mode but could also potentially be used by another character's attacks down the line.

It makes designing attacks like the poison gas that Medusa spits through her hand, or poisonous kisses of death she blows at enemies or even poisonous snake hair bites easier to achieve increasing her chances of being one of the five unique DLC's added later.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If Medusa shows up in World of Light or Spirits Mode, then I can count this game as a “close enough to a 4th Kid Icarus game”

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I would guess that spirits have no bearing on DLC. They're the replacement for trophies, and we already know that Mewtwo's Sm4sh trophy didn't DQ Mewtwo.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The two elements Medusa uses for most of her attacks are shadow and poison; plenty of Smash characters have shadow attacks but up until now AFAIK there hasn't been a unique poison effect added into the game - they usually just apply shadow effect. The fact that they have gone to the trouble of adding in a new poison effect for a character as random as Piranha Plant suggests that they plan to use it it more often - the Fatal Frame AT used it, it will probably be a hazard in Spirits mode but could also potentially be used by another character's attacks down the line.

It makes designing attacks like the poison gas that Medusa spits through her hand, or poisonous kisses of death she blows at enemies or even poisonous snake hair bites easier to achieve increasing her chances of being one of the five unique DLC's added later.
This. + The poison effect was always in Smash Lip's flower on the head. So now we have a poison effect... For a joke character? Something is shady. Maybe it's not for Medusa, and the poison effect seems to exist in Spirit mode, especially where the ground can be poisonous. But I want to believe that it will be used for a character in the future.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This. + The poison effect was always in Smash Lip's flower on the head. So now we have a poison effect... For a joke character? Something is shady. Maybe it's not for Medusa, and the poison effect seems to exist in Spirit mode, especially where the ground can be poisonous. But I want to believe that it will be used for a character in the future.
If Olimar's White Pikmin don't use this poison effect, something has gone wrong.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So supposidly the full game is out at certain places. I wonder if anyone can see if we can see if Palutena still has Medusa's color or not. I would assume she would... but what if she doesn't?

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
So supposidly the full game is out at certain places. I wonder if anyone can see if we can see if Palutena still has Medusa's color or not. I would assume she would... but what if she doesn't?
DreamZeroX had a good point on this (and it was a good spot too by the way!) They could've used the Medusa or Dark Pit skin for "Dark Palutena" when she is red-eyed and standing next to Ganondorf in the Spirits Mode trailer but they didn't, they used the Phosphora skin. Ganondorf's color scheme was dark red and purple so the Medusa skin would've complemented it - is there a reason behind not using it? The negative side of me thinks it was just a randomly selected alt color but is anything randomly selected in those trailers? I think not - everything is meticulously chosen down to the last detail. I'll include a screenshot below.

PaluGanon.PNG

The optimistic side of me thinks there is a reason behind it - Medusa is in the works and maybe they've released Piranha Plant as a way to test out more regular poison attacks made by characters to see if it's too OP. Olimar could only use it every so often when the right Pikmin came up so it was well-moderated. Anything more regular than that could be a little too strong. Piranha Plant could be their way of finding out.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm currently trying to see if some alts are posted on the Internet. Hoping that the full game will be close to me if it comes in france, too!

DreamZeroX had a good point on this (and it was a good spot too by the way!) They could've used the Medusa or Dark Pit skin for "Dark Palutena" when she is red-eyed and standing next to Ganondorf in the Spirits Mode trailer but they didn't, they used the Phosphora skin. Ganondorf's color scheme was dark red and purple so the Medusa skin would've complemented it - is there a reason behind not using it? The negative side of me thinks it was just a randomly selected alt color but is anything randomly selected in those trailers? I think not - everything is meticulously chosen down to the last detail. I'll include a screenshot below.

The optimistic side of me thinks there is a reason behind it - Medusa is in the works and maybe they've released Piranha Plant as a way to test out more regular poison attacks made by characters to see if it's too OP. Olimar could only use it every so often when the right Pikmin came up so it was well-moderated. Anything more regular than that could be a little too strong. Piranha Plant could be their way of finding out.
Maybe it's an Amazon Pandora spirit? I mean, fighting spirits makes you fight a character ressembling slightly the spirit, like the big black K.Rool for the Imprisoned.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I took a look, and Palutena has.... whoever this is

the color is probably picked due to whoever that is. I would love to see Medusa in this game, and if she is one of the 5 DLC, thats amazing.

I'm currently trying to see if some alts are posted on the Internet. Hoping that the full game will be close to me if it comes in france, too!

Maybe it's an Amazon Pandora spirit? I mean, fighting spirits makes you fight a character ressembling slightly the spirit, like the big black K.Rool for the Imprisoned.
Don't think thats Pandora, but it is some girl. can anyone tell who that is?

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
Oh darn you're right - it says here it's an Amazon Pandora inspired color not a Phosphora color which of course would have to be white and blue... That would make sense too as they show a Pandora skin during the demo. Oh well back to the drawing board...

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh darn you're right - it says here it's an Amazon Pandora inspired color not a Phosphora color which of course would have to be white and blue... That would make sense too as they show a Pandora skin during the demo. Oh well back to the drawing board...
Well, it's rarely officially said which color is what. Mostly is speculation or common sense (like Zelda's TP color now).

the color is probably picked due to whoever that is. I would love to see Medusa in this game, and if she is one of the 5 DLC, thats amazing.

Oh that's right, we can see the spirit. But I don't now either... But she does seem to wear some blue, so it should make sense.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

That spirit is Princess L'Arachel from Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, I believe.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
keep digging around for more Palu stuff with the costumes shown

I would guess that spirits have no bearing on DLC. They're the replacement for trophies, and we already know that Mewtwo's Sm4sh trophy didn't DQ Mewtwo.
don't forget the infamous fake out

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So a video had all costumes (but it's unavailable now), Palutena's costumes are unchanged. Including the fact that she keeps her green hair.

So what does it mean for us?
-Medusa's reference still in.
-We can assume that DLC's were planned some time ago considering the explanation of Rex's costume.
-On the other hand, Marth had Roy's color in Smash 4, and there's still characters with really close colors.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So a video had all costumes (but it's unavailable now), Palutena's costumes are unchanged. Including the fact that she keeps her green hair.

So what does it mean for us?
-Medusa's reference still in.
-We can assume that DLC's were planned some time ago considering the explanation of Rex's costume.
-On the other hand, Marth had Roy's color in Smash 4, and there's still characters with really close colors.
Its a medusa reference. It doesn't negate her chance as DLC, like you said with Marth with Roy's color. We just play the waiting game now.

I am hoping Medusa is a boss or referenced in the story mode, at least for now.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh, here is the video:

Medusa as a boss would kind of negate the chances as a DLC but would also be a great role for her. For now, I'm expecting a Medusa Spirit with, of course, Palutena taking her role. As well as Viridi's spirit as a Mii Swordfighter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh, here is the video:

Medusa as a boss would kind of negate the chances as a DLC but would also be a great role for her. For now, I'm expecting a Medusa Spirit with, of course, Palutena taking her role. As well as Viridi's spirit as a Mii Swordfighter.
:ultinkling:,:ultkrool:,:ultchrom:,:ultisabelle:, Ashley, Zero, Knuckles, Black Knight, and Virtual Fighter were all Mii costumes back in Smash 4 and have all been confirmed as playable characters or Assist Trophies in Ultimate. So Viridi could have a decent shot at being DLC.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Um, try not to double post like that.... You could easily have posted both things into one post, or edited it, if you will. Plus we already have seen the vid posted up there and could easily navigate it.
And we should learn not to believe these "leakers" in the first place, but rather wait and see what happens officially.

Anyways, we know Medusa has potential to be a standalone character, and we've went over it multiple times.
And I couldn't really see the Palu costumes that well. I just hope the dark blue/gold one is still there. It'd probably be too much to ask em to play as them in that case. Regardless, I still think she has potential to be DLC, but my fear is being overshadowed by some of the super popular character choices, which I already fear and dread.

DreamZeroX

Smash Cadet
Um, try not to double post like that.... You could easily have posted both things into one post, or edited it, if you will. Plus we already have seen the vid posted up there and could easily navigate it.
And we should learn not to believe these "leakers" in the first place, but rather wait and see what happens officially.

Anyways, we know Medusa has potential to be a standalone character, and we've went over it multiple times.
And I couldn't really see the Palu costumes that well. I just hope the dark blue/gold one is still there. It'd probably be too much to ask em to play as them in that case. Regardless, I still think she has potential to be DLC, but my fear is being overshadowed by some of the super popular character choices, which I already fear and dread.
Hey try to relax I didnt know it would Grind Anyone's Gears also I did not realize that others had posted the same Video, but that's besides the point. Vergeben is a creditable Leaker so I wouldn't just rule him out just yet. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
Yeah I agree, Vergerben is the only leaker I would give credit to. But a leak is aleak, take it with a grain of salt
But we know that he haven't leaked all of the 5 characters so there is still a chancd for Medusa.
And I Don't think that Palutena having or not her Medusa's alt could change anything.

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
So a video had all costumes (but it's unavailable now), Palutena's costumes are unchanged. Including the fact that she keeps her green hair

Why is she keeping her hair the same color this time? Aren’t there supposed to be blonde, black and dark green variants?

Also, Samus got to keep a dark look alt color even when Dark Samus was announced. Pit has a black alt color too.
For now, I'm expecting a Medusa Spirit with, of course, Palutena taking her role. As well as Viridi's spirit as a Mii Swordfighter.
You know, I always wonder why they never made a generic magic-focused Mii Spellcaster with a staff or a wand. It would be such an appropriate fourth fighter type to cover all the bases and could be used to represent so many different magic characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom