• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Medusa's Secret Hideout

Favourite commander of Medusa's army?

• Twinbellows

• Dark Lord Gaul

• Hewdraw

• Pandora

• Thanatos

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was pretty annoyed with the pandering Sakurai did with KI in Smash 4 with Dark Pit and the huge amount of Uprising content suddenly all over the place, specially in Smash Run where all you seem to find 80% of the time are Uprising enemies. Heck even the menu of Smash 4 is strongly reminiscent of Uprising's.

Now that things have cooled down and a new Smash is coming though, I'm totally in for a Medusa echo. If it's a villain, most likely I support them (as much as I think FE is already excessive, I'd even take a Black Knight echo over Chrom or Lucina anytime).

Edit: Oh! Those alts are simply beautiful! I love the Palutena one, really makes me think how she was before being thrown by her in the Underworld.
Uprising's menu looked more like Brawl's... which itself looked quite a bit like Kirby Air Ride's.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, to start a conversation, what would Medusa's alt colors be?

I realise in the first post that AncientTobacco AncientTobacco alt colors ideas are missing, hopefully I still have them so here they are!

I was about to suggest some but these are really good, especially the Palutena and Viridi variants.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice

I realise in the first post that AncientTobacco AncientTobacco alt colors ideas are missing, hopefully I still have them so here they are!

There's gotta be a color based on the Medusa in my Avatar right? That's her artwork from the original game

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
There's gotta be a color based on the Medusa in my Avatar right? That's her artwork from the original game
Funnily enough, the thannatos costume looks a lot like that. Blond hair, white snakes, green skin, the only thing that needs to change is the purple-ish dress.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Fingers crossed Medusa gets in
That "vote for their chances thread" kinda made me feel down considering how unlikely they all felt she was

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If it helps, I recall the the same series of threads (prior to any leaks/the game's announcement) put :ultridley: 's chances at less than 17%.
Good times.

That’s because more or less people thought he was too big and of course Sakurai saying the same thing too.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

These would be perfect for Medusa! The Viridi one kind of reminds me a bit of Menardi from Golden Sun a bit.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99

I still remember these from four years ago. They are all so amazingly done, even the the Thantalos one looks good. Lucina got some pretty unique alts in Smash 4 so maybe we can hope to expect the same for Medusa if she's an echo.

Also, yeah the RTC thread kinda killed my hype, but fans have been wrong before. Imo Dark Samus was a lot less likely than Medusa was.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Also, yeah the RTC thread kinda killed my hype, but fans have been wrong before. Imo Dark Samus was a lot less likely than Medusa was.
This so much.

Fingers crossed Medusa gets in
That "vote for their chances thread" kinda made me feel down considering how unlikely they all felt she was
And let's all remember people thinking that KI bias is the reason we wouldn't get a new character from that series.

When Smash 4 just soured them from reused asset enemies. lol

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I still remember these from four years ago. They are all so amazingly done, even the the Thantalos one looks good. Lucina got some pretty unique alts in Smash 4 so maybe we can hope to expect the same for Medusa if she's an echo.

Yeah I really like the Thanatos idea... There's just something special with it. Maybe it's because it gives her more of a "monster" vibe.

And yeah, my main concern with alts is how Pit and Palutena keep their hair color, but it's true that Lucina does change (while Marth, Roy and Ike doesn't) so who knows?

And let's all remember people thinking that KI bias is the reason we wouldn't get a new character from that series.

When Smash 4 just soured them from reused asset enemies. lol
During the Smash 4 speculation or for Smash Ultimate?

But yeah, Smash 4 had tons of KI enemies. And that's understandable. Easy to port + no need for permission, as it's Sakurai own game!

Machete

Smash Ace
I can understand feeling Medusa is unlikely, I do too, as much as I'd want her. While she'd be one of the cooler echoes, there was very high demand for more Metroid representation, Chrom was sort of a meme... Richter does prove that Sakurai will still do whatever he wants even with echoes, but maybe the negative reaction to Dark Pit will make him think twice about putting Medusa in. Let's not forget she's one of the echoes that would demand more work given her snake hair.

But still, not gonna give up on her. She also has many positives for her inclusion. She'd be completely awesome. And we do need some more female characters with an edge to them. Medusa doesn't have a suspiciously missing AT or alternate color to boost her chances, but I feel that if she does get in, she'll be one of those "in retrospect, yeah, she was kinda obvious. KI is Sakurai's baby and there was demand for both females and villains, and she is a classic one, so I can't believe I didn't see it coming!".

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
During the Smash 4 speculation or for Smash Ultimate?

But yeah, Smash 4 had tons of KI enemies. And that's understandable. Easy to port + no need for permission, as it's Sakurai own game!
It was definitely during Smash 4 speculation. Seeing so many Uprising enemies, the Palutena Guidance, and 3 Kid Icsrus characters turned off people from Kid Icarus. Many Smash fans still feel that way despite us still getting Chrom (a 7th Fire Emblem character) and all veterans returning. They feel that Kid Icarus is too niche to get more than 3 characters, when it wouldn’t matter in the long run.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It was definitely during Smash 4 speculation. Seeing so many Uprising enemies, the Palutena Guidance, and 3 Kid Icsrus characters turned off people from Kid Icarus. Many Smash fans still feel that way despite us still getting Chrom (a 7th Fire Emblem character) and all veterans returning. They feel that Kid Icarus is too niche to get more than 3 characters, when it wouldn’t matter in the long run.
Well, a playable character is something big (even an echo) but being niche doesn't stop Earthbound from every previous content back (stages, items, AT) meaning that we have all the magicant things in HD, the return of the Chimera, we have a new item and more importantly, it still got FOUR new characters appearing during the Final Smashes! Appearances of Paula, Poo, Kumatora and Boney is something big.

And that's great! I'm not complaining at all.

But with that (and Chrom), why would a Kid Icarus character be problematic? Because it's Sakurai's game? Because Dark Pit is in the game? If Medusa is an echo, is it really that much work that "steal a spot"? I don't think so. Smash Bros roster selection doesn't play like Musical Chairs IMO.

If we have Medusa as an echo of Palutena, it's still "two characters" technically... And people can hide echoes if they bother them.

I get that Dark Pit could bother people because it's Pit... with another color scheme. And we weren't sure he was a bonus at that point. But now, he is just a "side character" that pleases fan without taking space.

Also, despite this, it didn't stopped people from wanting KI characters in the ballot, it's estimated that Viridi did quite well after all.

I may be biased for KI, but almost every character have something to bring in Smash. There's character I don't care about or even dislike (like Falco) but it's still a great addition to the roster.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well, a playable character is something big (even an echo) but being niche doesn't stop Earthbound from every previous content back (stages, items, AT) meaning that we have all the magicant things in HD, the return of the Chimera, we have a new item and more importantly, it still got FOUR new characters appearing during the Final Smashes! Appearances of Paula, Poo, Kumatora and Boney is something big.

And that's great! I'm not complaining at all.

But with that (and Chrom), why would a Kid Icarus character be problematic? Because it's Sakurai's game? Because Dark Pit is in the game? If Medusa is an echo, is it really that much work that "steal a spot"? I don't think so. Smash Bros roster selection doesn't play like Musical Chairs IMO.

If we have Medusa as an echo of Palutena, it's still "two characters" technically... And people can hide echoes if they bother them.

I get that Dark Pit could bother people because it's Pit... with another color scheme. And we weren't sure he was a bonus at that point. But now, he is just a "side character" that pleases fan without taking space.

Also, despite this, it didn't stopped people from wanting KI characters in the ballot, it's estimated that Viridi did quite well after all.

I may be biased for KI, but almost every character have something to bring in Smash. There's character I don't care about or even dislike (like Falco) but it's still a great addition to the roster.
True enough, these are all good points.

I think when "Everyone is Here", all of the bias arguments should just die. No character is stealing any slots and Medusa would hardly prevent other characters from being playable. She's an awesome villain that would be fun to see in Smash and Kid Icarus uprising was a great game.

And good point on people still wanting more KI characters during the ballot. It's proof that fans would care less about overrepresentation and want their favorite character.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I think when "Everyone is Here", all of the bias arguments should just die. No character is stealing any slots and Medusa would hardly prevent other characters from being playable. She's an awesome villain that would be fun to see in Smash and Kid Icarus uprising was a great game.
Exactly, her design may have some similarities with Palutena but she would still bring diversity to the roster. Heck, even Dark Samus does with her animations and design, despite being based on Samus.
It's not like asking the return of TP Zelda for example. And yet I'm definitely not against that idea!

And good point on people still wanting more KI characters during the ballot. It's proof that fans would care less about overrepresentation and want their favorite character.
Timing of the ballot also help, but yeah. People like some characters, so they want some characters. It's as simple as that.

Of course there will be priorities on the Nintendo / Sakurai side. We know he wants to, but he can't put everything in the game for various reasons (time, character rights, ect)... The madman already brought back every veterans, including the guests and that's not a little feat.

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
So.. I made this drawing dedicated to Medusa for Smash Ultimate. Medus is my most wanted character as of now.. I made this drawing in order to try and get people to talk more about Medusa and spread awareness (and of course also because I love Medusa and her design is great).

Here it is:

I also wanted to note that Cree Summer, Medusa's voice actress liked my post on IG. She has also liked Tweets of people talking about how they want Medusa in Ultimate, and she even liked a Tweet directly asking if Nintendo had approached her about anything regarding Medusa for Ultimate. I don't know if this necessarily means anything (it could, it couldn't), but it's certainly worth mentioning.

I just really hope Medusa will make it in.. but I also fear that if we get another KI rep Sakurai will favor other characters. She didn't exactly have the biggest role in that game.. but who knows Sakurai has more in store for Medusa.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So.. I made this drawing dedicated to Medusa for Smash Ultimate. Medus is my most wanted character as of now.. I made this drawing in order to try and get people to talk more about Medusa and spread awareness (and of course also because I love Medusa and her design is great).

Here it is:

I also wanted to note that Cree Summer, Medusa's voice actress liked my post on IG. She has also liked Tweets of people talking about how they want Medusa in Ultimate, and she even liked a Tweet directly asking if Nintendo had approached her about anything regarding Medusa for Ultimate. I don't know if this necessarily means anything (it could, it couldn't), but it's certainly worth mentioning.

I just really hope Medusa will make it in.. but I also fear that if we get another KI rep Sakurai will favor other characters. She didn't exactly have the biggest role in that game.. but who knows Sakurai has more in store for Medusa.
Honestly, this is so good that it deserves to have some place in the OP.

But since Wolfie557 Wolfie557 likely wants to give up ownership of this thread, we should think about who wants to take over for him or become the new thread owner.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Count me in as a supporter. I've never played the Kid Icarus games but the first female Nintendo villain rep would definitely be a treat to have even if an Echo.

I would say Medusa has some good chances mainly due to Sakurai bias. While Sakurai maybe basing the newcomers off of the ballot I'd imagine there being a few he'd want to throw in himself so win-win. Hades I feel will more likely be a boss, Phosphora wasn't really that requested in the ballot and probably returning as an Assist and Viridi is ruled out due to appearing in the Reset Bomb Forest stage. As a result I think Medusa has the best chance out of any other Kid Icarus reps that and she's been back to first game in the series highlighting her importance.

Edit: Well found out Dark Samus is female who I always assumed was genderless. Still want to see Medusa though. More female Nintendo villains would be nice.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If Medusa got in, I'd probably welcome her, but I must admit with space for unique newcomers limited, I'd much rather have her as an echo (even if it doesn't make complete sense to be)

But her presence would be welcome, I like Kid Icarus Uprising a lot, but I do think we should get a lot of other things first.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You know, watching the kid Icarus shorts again, Thanatos summons some demonic wings on a horse carriage that would be great for Medusa if she was an echo

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing to note if that Dark Pit doesn't disconfirm Medusa by virtue of the series already having an Echo.

Chrom's second chance shows us as much.

Come to think of it, it also shows that "over-representation" isn't a problem either.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
You know, watching the kid Icarus shorts again, Thanatos summons some demonic wings on a horse carriage that would be great for Medusa if she was an echo
Wow, that's true, and they actually have a great design!

... Funny how I went from "nah, Medusa doesn't work as a clone" 4 years ago to "hey, there's cool wings to exploit as an echo!"

Edit: now we need someone to photoshop these wings on Medusa to give us an idea on how it looks on her.

For those interested by the wings:
Sans titre 1.png

One thing to note if that Dark Pit doesn't disconfirm Medusa by virtue of the series already having an Echo.

Come to think of it, it also shows that "over-representation" isn't a problem either.
Chrom as an echo was a smart move from Sakurai, as it add a loved / requested character without "stealing a spot".

With the ability to "hide" echoes in the same slot as the original, Kid Icarus still technically have two characters, or at least two movesets.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I would love to see this happen.

Just for the fact that it would be fitting and hilarious.

View attachment 161233

Chrom as an echo was a smart move from Sakurai, as it add a loved / requested character without "stealing a spot".

With the ability to "hide" echoes in the same slot as the original, Kid Icarus still technically have two characters, or at least two movesets.
Lol there’s we go. Those wings.

And I agree with all of this. Echoes don’t steal slots and Sakurai finds a way to add fan favorites. So Medusa would fit a lot.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I've enjoyed Greek mythology for years so I would love to see Medusa in. Add me please.

I'll take an echo, but I do think she needs to have a moveset that is mostly original. She can share several regular attacks and the Counter/Reflect move however. I think something about 70% unique. er Final Smash should be her giant head with the one eye shooting beams.

As for Victory theme, I've not played Uprising, but I like to think a segment from Destroyed Skyworld could work as her theme. For her on-screen appearance, it could be the same as Paultena's, but Medusa comes out of the snake motif doors that led to her boss battle in Uprising.

Overall, I think she fits in well with the group of villains that we have so far.

On a related note, if she were in, it'd be pretty neat if she joined in the conversation during Palutena's Guidances. We have the SSB4 DLC characters and the Ultimate newcomers. She could join in on Guidances involving villains.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99

Here it is:

This is absolutely fantastic! You nailed the texture of her dress.

On the topic of Cree Summer, she's such a big voice actor that I think she wouldn't pay mind to a character of a relatively small game she did over 6 years ago, unless of course she did a recording recently. Also, she comes off as the type of person who wouldn't break NDA's, but might hint at it.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

... Funny how I went from "nah, Medusa doesn't work as a clone" 4 years ago to "hey, there's cool wings to exploit as an echo!"

Edit: now we need someone to photoshop these wings on Medusa to give us an idea on how it looks on her.

View attachment 161233
oh heck! more source material for Medusa!
gonna keep note on this one!

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

Will probably get like Dry Bowser as another Mario echo as well lol.

I really do believe that Medusa statue may have been some sort of sign of Medusa's homecoming in Super Smash Bros Ultimate as a new fighter, most likely echo but I guess we'll see.

I think we will see new characters for Kid Icarus, and Kirby too.. Og characters are always chosen before what you call extra characters, Og characters have one important thing to them and thats being with the series since the first game, which is the one thing Medusa did that Hades and Viridi didnt do thus making Hades and Viridi extra characters to Medusa being the og villain and there is a villain theme to Smash Ultimate running.. Btw Im thinking Galactic Knight might be some sort of Kirby echo as well, Im thinking Galactic Knight and Medusa will both balance Sakurai's ips to four characters so they dont look lacking and seeing that the Kid Icarus series looks lacking and odd with Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit.. It needs Medusa to balance it out!

Palutena's B move seems different, but in a good way because its a move I can see being echoed into a Medusa move, perhaps the black eyeball projectile she does.

Oh and btw, Medusa is left handed so she'd use her staff with her left hand opposed to Palutena using her right hand.

"Hades keeps reviving me, but I won't play the puppet anymore!" - Medusa during the final battle in Uprising.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

View attachment 161233
They look pretty good on her, I think.

Top Bottom