• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [QLD] Tournament & General Thread: Next Event - UQ Smash 15 - 19/12/15

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Seeing as there will be less numbers at the next PW I think you should just trial swiss singles and then 4 man crews and see how long it takes for future reference.

If less than 10 entrants turn up for a single game then you should only run singles for that game as well.

Also staying on the same stage for multiple games will be lame and abused, I'd just wait until a spacie came out and then I'd get fd twice.. same as fox players using yoshis/stadium and peach/jiggs/yoshi/falcon/samus players using dreamland Too easy to abuse against weaker players. If we did have 4 man crews then we could do daves stupid rule and implement the 5 starters, poke stadium and kongo jungle? That way no stage is picked twice. Or we could vote on the 7th stage.

Sloth

Smash Ace
Seeing as there will be less numbers at the next PW I think you should just trial swiss singles and then 4 man crews and see how long it takes for future reference.

If less than 10 entrants turn up for a single game then you should only run singles for that game as well.

Also staying on the same stage for multiple games will be lame and abused, I'd just wait until a spacie came out and then I'd get fd twice.. same as fox players using yoshis/stadium and peach/jiggs/yoshi/falcon/samus players using dreamland Too easy to abuse against weaker players. If we did have 4 man crews then we could do daves stupid rule and implement the 5 starters, poke stadium and kongo jungle? That way no stage is picked twice. Or we could vote on the 7th stage.
I also feel that if you have less than 10 then only singles should run. No point having 4 double team tournament. Just increase single play time instead if you want more out of it.
I think people want doubles as well at this tournament. I voted for swiss singles and four man crew. But if masses want doubles we do doubles. Probably will mean no crews though or one large one at the end.

I do agree that the CP system I suggested can be abused, but then again that is part of crews and making the correct decisions with players you have. Same as counter-picking stages in general. You'll always get a few in-balances here and there. It was just a thought though.. trying to mix things up.
I personally like random stage every time. But it can really hurt a team on a wrong roll. I think we should compile a list of possible solutions and see what players prefer.

1. Normal CP rules for a tournament
  2. No stage picked twice
  3. All random out of the approved list
  4. Ban system ( each team bans 1 stage when next player goes to play ) - or some other variation of bans.
  5. Include old school stages (Pokefloats/Rainbow/Corneria etc..)
We also need to see what every prefers for characters too
  1. You choose your character at start of match and can't change it
  2. You can change your character even after you've lost some stock due to CP rules
  3. The character you pick at the start is the one you must keep for every crew match in the whole tournament.
I'm at work so i'm typing this fast and probably with errors. Would like to know other opinions.

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
A lunch break from around the doubles final for 30-60 mins should work, considering there is a hungry jacks, oporto and I think a Macca's within a 2 minutes drive, there's no real excuse for being late unless you make the doubles final and go a distance to get food.
And syke is always on the money, use pw3 as a trial run for Swiss and 4 man crews

Last edited:

Sloth

Smash Ace
I agree on using PW3 for Swiss / 4 man crews.. but didn't some Facebook poll suggest players wanted doubles?

Swiss = most fun format for players I believe.
4 man crews = good to try.
and if time pends we do doubles at end of the day.

I don't see the point of doing doubles first anymore. Sure it is a good warm up but if for any reason there is issues it conflicts with Singles which is the main event. Should run it last and if we run out of time it goes.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Can run all of the above with TO-Birds in effect

jk i have no idea how to do swiss

with good organization we should be fine to do erthang

Last edited:

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
1. People still use Facebook?

2. Doubles is still important in my eyes, provided people are kept in check (save friendlies until late in the doubles bracket/lunch break) it could be done in 90-120 mins and if people's arrival times are more in accurate to the start time
I think we need to bring in some kind if prize(s) for doubles, keep the kids interested

3. Who is actually running melee next weekend?

Remastered

Smash Lord
I assume Swiss is just Round Robin? I would search 'Swiss Singles' at work, but it's likely I wouldn't get the desired result. Or would I?

If you guys are running Swiss, I'll leave melee in the hands of Syke, and I'll manage the PM and Brawl brackets.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Im not going to be there.

Swiss is just round robin where the 1st round is uaully random and then the people who win vs other people who win and losers vs losers. It usually only goes for about 5-6 rounds until there is a clear top 8 or 16.

So round robin where each round is seeded so people vs others who are on the same or close score.

Last edited:

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
Round robin is better but only for small number tourneys due to the amount if time it takes for everyone to play everyone, Swiss is the best option, plus it gives a more accurate ranking on people, everyone plays more games and you end up playing people around your own skill level

But the more pressing issue is who is running the tourney? All we need is a smasher who has a laptop (or some one that brings a laptop for them), is well respected and has big enough testicles to yell at people to play their matches........ So not me...not respected enough, but I do yell at everyone at tourneys (I'm a QLD smasher)

Last edited:

J-Birds

Smash Lord
I got this, homies will help anyway
Challonge has a swiss setting so will probs use that if we decide to use that format

Remastered

Smash Lord
I can run melee if I need too (was my intention before this Swiss business), that's fine, but yeh the challenge is Swiss which I've also never done before. I can bring 2 computer set-ups. @ J-Birds J-Birds if you can run melee that would be great. I'll provide the computer only because I want proper records of the event. I'll help out because I want to learn Swiss properly too and get it down for future events.

Sloth

Smash Ace
Swiss is super easy, although you can choose how you run it.
I've been to tournaments where you play someone for two matches. You record either 2-0, 1-1 or 0-2 and based on wins/loss you verse other people around that level.
However - the wiki had a good suggestion for :

Modified Swiss System
All matches Bo3

2-0 you get 4 points
2-1 you get 3 points
1-2 you get 1 point
0-2 you get 0 points

You then verse people of similar point range and you use the points to help seed into double elimination after round cut-off time.
I'd say go for the point system if the software allows. Gives more flexibility I feel for seeding.

Sloth

Smash Ace
Best to decide off number of entrants / how fast we are going along I think.
I'd say plan just to do a Top 8 in case we are time short. If it looks like we are speeding through it / have setups free then make a lower-half bracket. (lower half could even just be single elimination).

I like the idea of having as many of the newer players exposed to people of their skill. The best way to improve at the game is to verse others just at your level or slightly higher..

J-Birds

Smash Lord
How many rounds of Swiss would you recommend for ~20-25 entrants?
Or maybe a better question how many would present a clear top 8 to set up bracket?

Is Swiss typically a good choice for low entrant numbers? i feel like we would end up running like 3-4 set repeats between the higher placing entrants.

Last edited:

Sloth

Smash Ace
I don't see how a top player will slip out of the top 8 tbh. Or if you are concerned just do a top 16 bracket seeded and drop a low-half bracket.
If rounds are going by quickly then 6+ is easy. The tournaments of swiss I've been too ran with 8 rounds which were completed fairly fast. All comes down to setups numbers really.

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
Btw for anyone who has a Wii but hasn't got P:M setup and wants me to do it for them, just bring your stuff to the next meet or the start of P:W and I'll set it up for you. I'll have all the files etc.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I'll be there. I'll try get Ryan too. Who else will be there?

Will Swiss run until 4am or can we expect to be finished at a reasonable hour? (Didn't read what Swiss actually is because reasons)

Also I'm an old man so I can join that crew if there's a slot.

Sloth

Smash Ace
Also I'm an old man so I can join that crew if there's a slot.
Actually old crew has a slot ~! and would super love you. No homo. Although not sure if we could have you because then old crew would be OP (for this tournament) however future events it would be good !

Swiss system takes a little longer then pools. Swiss can be almost as quick but it requires more set-ups. It's a bit like pools in a way but you are playing a dynamic pool group that is constantly shifting with other players with a similar win/loss record as you for the day.

Pending on the day we might have to run Tassie crew Dino! Will see. Naturally as Tasmanians we can drink, be super bogan and flick our glorious mullets in other peoples faces for distraction and it's allowed.

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
For really small tournaments I reckons one big round robin is the best way to go rather than swiss.

Also on the crews thing standard format is that CP stages are allowed, but if you CP stage the other player may change their character.

If you wish to keep their character locked you can elect to do random stage instead.

It's a fine system.

Remastered

Smash Lord
We are looking at about 20+ for melee alone, so swiss will have to do for time sake. I'd be more comfortable running RR just because I know how much time to allow, but this event will be a trial and error swiss tester.

Also, final check on who's bringing what gear. Need an idea of how many tv's, setups and recording equip etc we are going to have.

Last edited:

J-Birds

Smash Lord
So my laptop is actually kind of dead, blue screen'd twice today. To avoid a potential bracket disaster could anyone supply one to use for the Melee side of things.
Bringing Cube/Melee.

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
We'll be bringing 3 CRTs, cube, n64 (maybe a wii) and a Meal Maker, possibly leaving early (20% chance) if we don't leave, can have a meet and BBQ back home if people are interested

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I couldn't help but over-read here, but if you guys have someone relatively computer/programming apt, and everything goes well with trialing it today at a meet/tournament, I could pass on the "TO" software I'm making that manages a ladder and a queue/match making

Running would be: Make Queue for a ladder, add players into the queue, call matches and it'll put two people together that have similar elos. It would "go" similar to Swiss (as people who go 2-0 will be the same elo as other 2-0s at the start, etc).

Computer/programming apt = gets the idea of typing console commands (in Python) to manually manage a tournament.

Last edited:

Sloth

Smash Ace
PW tomorrow opens at 10 right? Do we have a time we want to schedule the start of Swiss singles? I think last time doubles didn't get going until close to 11:30 as the first event? I don't fully remember.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Anyone who has gear should be getting to the venue at 9:30 to set-up. Doubles was held up quite a bit as Zac didn't get to the venue until 11:10 and we decided as a group to wait for him.

Swiss will start immediately after sign-ups and venue payments. It will run across the whole day. Because this is new, and I've never done Swiss before, I want it to start straight away and measure the time it takes to complete.

Last edited:

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
I think that's more to do with people arriving late and organising entry fees
Can't wait to see the click click and the sheik abuse crew

Sloth

Smash Ace
I truly hope swiss singles won't take all day.. as then we wont get a chance to branch off into top 8/16. :p

What crews do we have already? Anyone got a full crew of 4 people?
If allowed Old Man Crew will be
Sloth, Neon, Radience and AussieRob.

Who's in what other crews? Would be good if people can form some going into tomorrow as that will be a huge save on time.

Hope you can come Zak.. if you don't make it singles will be interesting. I feel anyone of the top 8 or so players have a shot. Will all depends on who is performing best on the day. Skill gaps seem so close.

Top Bottom