• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [QLD] Tournament & General Thread: Next Event - UQ Smash 15 - 19/12/15

party

Smash Cadet
Hey y'all, I'm a scrub rollin in from the Apex 2013 smash train and am super new to the competitive scene but a couple of my mates and I have really gotten into it and I'm really keen to come to this event to just learn and get into the scene especially locally. Any pointers for getting the best outta this first event experience?

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much what Syke said. Also, go in not expecting to win, but take everything as a learning experience and as a chance to meet some new people.

Which Smash game/s do you and your mates play?

party

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'm definitely looking to meet other smashers in brissy/gold coast cos that'd be awesome especially for practice etc. We play melee mostly.

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
Hi, was wondering how someone who's completely new (never really played with people, been watching for years) would go about getting into smash. I live in QLD so I could get to this fairly easy, but I'll probably get stomped. After watching smash for so long figure I might as well give it a shot. I'm really keen so if anyone could help me that'd be great :)

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Hey! In a nutshell:

1. Go to a tourney
2. Meet some people
3. Go to meets

Sounds simple enough, but the best way to get good at Smash is to play against others. Almost everyone gets stomped at their first tournament, but luckily the scene is very welcoming and is happy to help newcomers. Just let people know that you're keen to play and you'll be set.

Any Smash game in particular that you're looking to focus on?

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
Hey! In a nutshell:

1. Go to a tourney
2. Meet some people
3. Go to meets

Sounds simple enough, but the best way to get good at Smash is to play against others. Almost everyone gets stomped at their first tournament, but luckily the scene is very welcoming and is happy to help newcomers. Just let people know that you're keen to play and you'll be set.

Any Smash game in particular that you're looking to focus on?
Looking at melee mostly since it's what I've been following for a while. Would probably need to attend as much stuff as I can since there's no online for it though and I don't have anyone to play with right now. How often do meets happen?

Syke

Smash Apprentice
lately we've been having small meets every couple weeks.

thers 3-4 of us that can host but we can only hold about 4-5 people max

Last edited:

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
I'd like to attend Melee meets, I haven't played Brawl since last LAN. Only PM and playing Melee to practice combo, AT, techs etc.

Then I'm not playing for 6-12 months :w

Syke

Smash Apprentice
If I'm super nice to my roomys I can probs convince them to have 10-12 people over

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
So many new people...
Wow that's awesome!

Now I am back on arvo shift I will be good for weekend meets.
Sat evening is generally my preferred time but the occasional Friday and Sunday session is possible too.
Who likes BBQs?
And cricket?
XD good blokes.

OMG need more Kas in my life! ;)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Not sure about PM, it's going to be a pretty small turnout. The idea of this tourney for melee is to get more people in Qld interested, interstate attendance is secondary. Entry into the venue is already $30 and the buttonsmash organiser (not karnu despite how much he thinks he runs the universe) are charging $10 entry into every game. I asked for free entry to entice more locals to show up. This way we're hoping we can get 10-15 turnout and spend most of the day having friendlies and getting people into he game more.

p.s Sam you bum as if you need a tourney pot to cover flights, what happened to travelling for the game?

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
I am not oppposed to a pot (or a frying pan or wok for that matter).
Whatever works/ the kids want.
Keen for Project M on the side as well.

I can have homies over for smash on Friday or Saturday evening.
I am leaning towards Friday at this stage.
Looking at roughly a 8pm start.
Also if anyone is keen to play new Killer Instinct as well, let me know. ;)

Might whip out Yoshi a bit more for no apparent reason....

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
I am not oppposed to a pot (or a frying pan or wok for that matter).
Whatever works/ the kids want.
Keen for Project M on the side as well.

I can have homies over for smash on Friday or Saturday evening.
I am leaning towards Friday at this stage.
Looking at roughly a 8pm start.
Also if anyone is keen to play new Killer Instinct as well, let me know. ;)

Might whip out Yoshi a bit more for no apparent reason....
Don't suppose a newbie could come :)?

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
@Puppy:
Yeah I do not have Project M so bring it if it's no prob.

That's not too late Zac, we probably won't start till 8ish anyway.

And other old mate, feel free to come. :)
Send us a text or a pm and address I shall give you.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Not sure about PM, it's going to be a pretty small turnout. The idea of this tourney for melee is to get more people in Qld interested, interstate attendance is secondary. Entry into the venue is already $30 and the buttonsmash organiser (not karnu despite how much he thinks he runs the universe) are charging $10 entry into every game. I asked for free entry to entice more locals to show up. This way we're hoping we can get 10-15 turnout and spend most of the day having friendlies and getting people into he game more.

p.s Sam you bum as if you need a tourney pot to cover flights, what happened to travelling for the game?
Shut it you, I rule all!

JediLink

Smash Ace
Hey guys! I've never been to a tournament before, let alone actually played competitively against another human, so I definitely want to come to this. I'll have to see a bit closer to the actual date if I can make it or not. If I can, I'll probably just be entering Melee. I'd love to enter UMvC3 as well but I don't have a 360 arcade stick, so unless someone wants to let me borrow theirs, I can't do much.

Also, I've requested to join Queensland Smash but no one's let me in yet.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hey guys! I've never been to a tournament before, let alone actually played competitively against another human, so I definitely want to come to this. I'll have to see a bit closer to the actual date if I can make it or not. If I can, I'll probably just be entering Melee. I'd love to enter UMvC3 as well but I don't have a 360 arcade stick, so unless someone wants to let me borrow theirs, I can't do much.

Also, I've requested to join Queensland Smash but no one's let me in yet.

Hey! Welcome!

Sorry, there was a flood of bots. I'll get to the invite now

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Went to register for that Buttonsmash...
Do you need t have thePayPal to register?

JL come to some smash meets if ya keen.
Tomorrow evening around 8.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Not at this stage.
We used to have meets there occasionally.

Most of the people who lived there either moved to Bris or don't play as much.

Top Bottom